PDA

View Full Version : Pulikachal recipe

shammi
20th April 2005, 03:17 AM
I dont have a good recipe for authentic pulikachal - the way Iyengars make it. Can somebody please post a really good recipe for pulikachal please? I love the stuff and dunno how to make it :( Thanks!

rsankar
25th April 2005, 03:25 AM
Hello shammi,

This recipe is collected by my mother in law. She got some oooooold books, and I found this recipe, which is taste like Triplicane Parthasaaradhi temple Puliyodharai.

PULIKAAICHAL SEIMURAI :

Good quality tamarind (Puli) - 150 Gms
kadughu - 1 spoon
jeera (seeragham) - 1 spoon
kadalai paruppu - 1 spoon
cashewnuts (mundhiri) - 1 to 2 spoon
peanuts (verkadalai) - 1 spoon
Vendhayam - 1/4 spoon
gingelly oil (nallennai) - 2 kuzhi karandi
full red chillies - 7 to 8
curry leaves some
salt to taste

Method :

Puli, salt pottu small quantity water-il oora vaikkanum. Puliyai karaithu vadi kattavum. Vaanaliyil gingelly oil vittu, full red chillies, kadughu,jeera, kadalai paruppu, mundhiri, vendhayam, curry leaves, verkadalai pottu varuthu, turmeric powder small pinch + puli karaisalai vidavum. Nanraagha kodhikka vidavum. nadu naduvil kilari vidavum. oil mele midhakka aarambhithaal "Puli kaaichal" is ready.

PULIYODHARAI POWDER :

dhaniya seeds - 6 spoons
vendhayam - 1/4 spoon
perunghaayam ( asafoetida) - small piece
pepper (milaghu) - 1 spoon

IF YOU WANT MORE HOT (optional)

Dry Red Chillies - 3 to 4

Method :

Dry roast vendhayam (nanraagha sivakka varukkavum), keep aside. Then dry roast dhaniya, dry red chiilies (optional).
Then pepper. keep aside. at last pour some oil in kadai roast perunghaayam. keep aside. Cover it for about 30 minutes. (Hemant sir, always I follow your tips, and its best too. thanks) grind it in grinder to medium course.

PULIYODHARAI MIXING METHOD :

Oru periya thattil udhir udhiraagha vaditha rice-i paravalaagha vaithu first puli kaaichal (thevaiyaana alavu mattum) siridhu, and puliyodharai powder (thevaiyaana alavu mattum) siridhu thoovi gentle-aagha mix seiyavum. You have to taste salt and hot before serve. If you need some more hot you can add pepper powder at last. You can sprinkle 1/2 tsp fresly made jeera powder at the end.

enjoy.

sonumickey
25th April 2005, 05:47 PM
hi

can you tell me, how much tamrind paste should i use for 150 gms of tamrind.

will it taste the sameway, even if i use the tamrind paste?

how many cups of rice can be used for the quantity you have mentioned?

pls help
thanxs
gayathri

rsankar
25th April 2005, 06:13 PM
hi

can you tell me, how much tamrind paste should i use for 150 gms of tamrind.

will it taste the sameway, even if i use the tamrind paste?

how many cups of rice can be used for the quantity you have mentioned?

pls help
thanxs
gayathri

Hello gayathri,

1. Its up to you. You don't have to use all puli kaaichal. first take small quantity puli kaaichal and puliyodharai powder, then mix with rice. whenever you're mixing puli kaaichal and powder you have to taste it. You can store leftover puli kaaichal and puliyodharai powder in the air tight box.

2. It'll not taste the sameway, if you use the tamarind paste.
Do not use tamarind paste.

3. rice, this quantity also up to you. use broken pacharisi (Raw rice?) or broken basmathi rice. don't use parboiled rice.

4. If you need more hot don't use chilli powder. USE PEPPER POWDER.

I think it will help.