PDA

View Full Version : English words for Indian concepts

podalangai
25th April 2005, 04:30 AM
OK, I've been wondering about this for a long time. Why have certain words been chosen and gotten stuck in English to describe Indian ideas? For example, why do they use "seer" when they're talking about Hindu religious leaders? What are they supposed to be able to "see"? They don't claim to be clairvoyent. Or, even worse, "pontiff" as if we have anything like a pope.

podalangai
25th April 2005, 04:33 AM
For that matter, why is a koil called a "temple" when a mosque isn't? Why is "priest" used for "archagar", "odhuvar" and "brahmin"?

"Idol"?

"Demon"?

nirosha sen
25th April 2005, 06:52 AM
Hmm....one word that I don't quite get is, "issue"!! Exactly what does it mean to the Indian???? We don't use this word elsewhere except to mean, matters arising. But does it mean anything else in India????

I have come across Indian matrimonial columns, with the words, "divorced without issue"!! Exactly what does it mean?? :D

hehehewalrus
25th April 2005, 07:16 AM
it means that the divorce was not issued

rajraj
25th April 2005, 08:53 AM
Nirosha: Indian English has a lot of archaic words. 'issue' is one meaning 'offspring' ! :) It is simpler to use child or children. 'Divorced without children' is easily understood! :) In reading 'The Hindu' I came across some words that were amusing. One such word is 'decamped' ! :)

hehehewalrus
25th April 2005, 10:32 AM
decamped is funny :lol2:

I have also seen "without unencumbrances" - what does it mean? :?

nirosha sen
25th April 2005, 11:20 AM
The other one uninquely Indian, is time pass!! I never hear it used in M'sia, Pa!! The other common one is knowing!!

Eg; : "You must be knowing him, huh?" or "You must be knowing his address, etc!!"

Shekhar
25th April 2005, 12:29 PM
Oh! there are lots of Indianised words.
Prepone, cousin brother, co brother, today night, etc.

But what is worng with them. They communicate well and enrich the language?!!

podalangai
25th April 2005, 03:57 PM
If we're going to talk about Indian English, don't forget the timeless classic: "just like that".

This is a hi-funda discussion! I'm trying like anything to remember more such expressions but they're not coming only. If anyone else can remember then please do the needful and send them.

Idiappam
26th April 2005, 01:17 AM
I have come across Indian matrimonial columns, with the words, "divorced without issue"!! Exactly what does it mean?? :D

What you doing down there at matrimonials, ma'am?? Looking for Mr Right eh?? Wish you the best! Hehehehe!

Thiru
26th April 2005, 01:25 AM
If we're going to talk about Indian English, don't forget the timeless classic: "just like that".

This is a hi-funda discussion! I'm trying like anything to remember more such expressions but they're not coming only. If anyone else can remember then please do the needful and send them.

Actually and Basically are the most frequent words... There are some phrases which people use... 'If say suppose'... and the word 'know' in phrase like 'this know- that know'...

hehehewalrus
26th April 2005, 02:58 AM
thiru
you forgot 'you know'.

nirosha sen
26th April 2005, 06:38 AM
:D Idiappam - Don't you ever look up the matrimonial columns, yourself?????!!!

It speaks plenty of the practical side of the Indian mind, Pa!! No wasting of time dating and wondering, etc. It's "vettu onnu, thundu rendu"!! Straight to the Mannavarai!! :wink:

By the way, I have no need for Mr Right, Pa!! I've already got him!! 8)

Badri
26th April 2005, 07:28 AM
Oh boy...have you seen this expression, "can you able to"

I can never get over it.

Querida
26th April 2005, 07:46 AM
i have found alot indian people addressing girls as dear...i find it weird you enter a indian restaurant...have you ordered dear?....we are closing dear?...and it's like from a guy who's your age...a guy at sixteen even addressing his girl as dear is kinda weird-sounding...

hmmm Shekhar what's co brother mean?

im sorry if i offend anyone but i can't stand the use of yaar...i know it mean's friend...but it's so grating! Just how they pull on the word and so loudly and racously.... :roll:

Thiru
26th April 2005, 08:51 AM
i have found alot indian people addressing girls as dear...i find it weird you enter a indian restaurant...have you ordered dear?....we are closing dear?...and it's like from a guy who's your age...a guy at sixteen even addressing his girl as dear is kinda weird-sounding...

im sorry if i offend anyone but i can't stand the use of yaar...i know it mean's friend...but it's so grating! Just how they pull on the word and so loudly and racously.... :roll:

Querida,

This is quite common in US but I havent seen/heard anyone mention the word dear in India.. you never know, they might categorize it under eve-teasing :)....

rajraj
26th April 2005, 08:55 AM
Thiru,
Indian English is being Americanized! :) You can see that even in newspapers!

Shekhar
26th April 2005, 09:28 AM

Ha, ha!! Co-brother means wife's sister's husband!! ingenious isn't it?!! :lol: :lol:

'Yaar..' is used mostly by the half baked english speaking youngsters, specially north Indians. You will not find decently educated people using this slang even in dreams.

tomato
26th April 2005, 02:49 PM
I've heard 'Is it?' being used in a fuuny way a lot of times, but can't think of an eg. rt now.

Idiappam
27th April 2005, 12:42 AM
:D Idiappam - Don't you ever look up the matrimonial columns, yourself?????!!!

By the way, I have no need for Mr Right, Pa!! I've already got him!! 8)

Sigh! :(

Roshan
28th April 2005, 10:27 AM
Another common exclusively indianized English word is Xerox Copy (for photocopy) 8)

Cousin brother is used even here in Sri Lanka .

Roshan
28th April 2005, 10:30 AM
im sorry if i offend anyone but i can't stand the use of yaar...i know it mean's friend...but it's so grating! Just how they pull on the word and so loudly and racously....

I too feel the same. It REALLY irritates me :x

podalangai
29th April 2005, 04:14 AM
Another common exclusively indianized English word is Xerox Copy (for photocopy) 8)

I though "Xerox copy" was used everywhere? Sila American documents-le parthadha niyabagam. :?:

One thing which is uniquely Indian, though, is using "hotel" to mean "restaurant". It seems that elsewhere, a "hotel" is always a place to stay - not a saravana bhavan. When I was working a lot with foreigners, I learnt very quickly that "would you like to go to a hotel?" is not a good thing to say to a foreigner of the opposite sex. <shiva-shivaa, shiva-shivaa>

NM
29th April 2005, 07:22 AM
Podalangaai...

Agreed...."xerox copy" is being used everywhere...even here in Malaysia & thailand.

And, yup, hotel means just that, ...a place to stay. I was surprised when this word was used for restraunts when i was in india..and you bet...that phrase is not a good one to say to a foreigner of the opposite sex... :lol: :lol: ......

Roshan..,

Cousin brother, sister are common words in malaysia, too..
Love that pic of shobana's, BTW.

But Shekhar's Co brother is very new to me.... :lol: :lol:

Niranjana
30th April 2005, 01:33 PM
Another English word invented by the Indians is "Wife-House"......."My wife-house is in Cochin"

I hate the sound of yaar........its so irritating!