PDA

View Full Version : Identifying "Sa" in a Hindi Song

raagmala
25th April 2005, 08:25 PM
Hi,

I am Raagmala and I like to play Hindi Film Songs on keyboard. Could anyone tell me how to identify "Sa" while playing a song on keyboard? e.g. For the song "Pank Hote To Ud Aati Re" from "Sehra", if the starting note is considered as "Sa" (Upper) then the notes of the song correspond to notes of Raag - Malkauns but if the ending note of the line "Tujhe Dil Ka Dag Dikhalati Re" is considered as "Sa" (lower) then the notes correspond to the notes of Raag - Bhoopali. So which is the correct "Sa" and why?

Lakshman
25th April 2005, 10:26 PM
Is the audio of this song available on the net?

raagmala
25th April 2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, the song is available on the web-site musicindiaonline.com

Here is the link to all songs from the film "Sehra":

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.1749/

Lakshman
26th April 2005, 02:17 AM
Tha song has shades of more malkauns than bhupali.

raagmala
26th April 2005, 07:18 AM
Thank You

srinivasan552000
7th May 2005, 12:42 AM
Dear Lakshman

I have heard the song several times sung by Asha Bonsle. I think, leaving aside the nuances of swara, it appears nearer to Mohanam (Bupaali)(a famous song by Latha is "Ganashyaam
Sundaraa") than to Hindholam (Malkauns). Excuse me if I am wrong.

Srinivasan

Lakshman
7th May 2005, 01:12 AM
I agree with you fully that ghana shyAm sundarA is without doubt bhUpAli but the song on musicindiaonline sung by Lata is more malkauns in my opinion.

Lakshman
7th May 2005, 01:15 AM
If you listen to Mohammed Rafi singing AdhA hai candramA which is malkuns, and again listen to Pankh uDh, you will hear the similarities.

srinivasan552000
7th May 2005, 09:05 AM
Thank you Lakshman.
I have heard Md Rafi's Aadhaa Hai Chandhramaa and it appears clearly as Malkauns. After your mail I heard both the songs and as you said I can hear the streaks of Malkauns in "Pank Hothae Thoe Ud Aathee Rae" also.

This is the difficulty with identifying raagaas through film songs where the directors fuse different raagaas and supply a Kichchadi.

In my humble opinion, one's talent to sing or appreciate Carnaatic or Hindusthaani Music in their purity will be void if one adopts film music as base to learn the niceties of these.

Srinivasan