PDA

View Full Version : On Themes of "BOSE"

rajasaranam
25th April 2005, 10:46 PM
not in recent times an ARR album made me immersed like this [ except for a few years when i was an ARR Fan :wink: ]
Leaving alone the songs which are recycled and remixes of his old tunes apart from 'Zikr'. havent heard much of the songs may be iam wrong, but its the theme works that iam listening to again and again.
I want to discuss upon the visualisations one gets listening to the theme musics.

The theme musics set for 'BOSE' is an perfect example of how a film music should be.

The BGM or theme music is one which should explain us the movie/ scene and enhance the visual imagery which we look at. BGM should be subtle not overpowering the visuals except we are keen at listening to it. For an ordinary observer it should move along with the visuals asthough he is never listening to it. he should be so immersed in it and the success lies when one doesnt know what made him to get such and such feeling while watching the movie.

Here ARR has succeeded in making me see the movie beforehand by giving excellent BGM scores. no need of visuals close your eyes you can see moving images.i bet on it.

Netaji theme1- explains bose in a contemplative mood, despair looking at India Enslaved for eternity, pondering into what could be done to change this. Is there any ray of hope to overcome this...

Netaji theme2 - here comes the ray of hope, moving along the tall grown paddy fields,towards the right direction. with the help of young Indians coming along to fight for their freedom netaji is possessed with bliss, that he will reach his 'manzil'

the U-Boat and WAR themes are in par with many hollywood compositions taking us amidst the warfront where all the action is going on

Afghanisthan 1 - This makes us go on a caravan ride along the deserts of Afghan while the sun starts rising and slowly getting the feel of scrotching sunlight and heat as the day passes,looking at the everlasting sea of sand, tiredness creeping in. then the night falls and after that tiring journey in the cold of night we get a lullaby to put us to sleep .

Afghanisthan 2 - Is again a travel but more enthusiastic knowing the journey will come to an end. never worry we are here soon...

Emily 1 - the entire score explains some deep rooted sorrow which starts off slowly and erupts with the orchestral and choral works and then it subsides into a subtler one. What has emily got to do with this???

Emily 2 - ARR's Brilliance at work again. This should be the portion of the movie where the love blooms between Bose and Emily. the music explains some intial doubt between the two, as if 'where to go from here' and then it turns into a gentle breeze embracing the lovers

Hitler - this compostion has got many layers to underrstand. The percussion part explains the war scenario with the army of hitler vehemently spreading violence all over the globe the layer superimposed upon this with violins expalins the sorrow of that war and the cry of victimized people. some more interpretation canbe derived as its the life of hitler - the man who was a mentally deranged one whose only goal was to prove his supremacy over the world and spreading his hatred towards others. having a complete army surrendered to experiment all his whims and fancies he has nothing to lose.

Please add on your interpretations of the themes. nothing to be technical jus pour in whatever you felt listening to them

Arjuna
26th April 2005, 02:02 AM
vanthutaraya rajasaranam - ARR patti pesurathuku!!

Arjuna
26th April 2005, 02:04 AM
Just wondering - whether this is the Ghost of Rajasaranam!!

Arjuna
26th April 2005, 02:10 AM
Ok - I just read rajasaranam's message about peace between ARR and IR fans!! Yup - I am always in for peace!!

jaiganes
26th April 2005, 10:23 AM
Rajasaranam!!
Emily is the wife of Netaji!! Here is the link to the life (http://www.bangalinet.com/netajisubhasbose.htm) of this great patriot. No wonder the theme is so beautiful. ARR has said that he is also working on a symphony! That makes it two Indians (IR and ARR) who have the ability and command to compose a full scale symphony. It is heatening to note that two Thamizhans will leave an indelible mark in the field of music for a long time. I am proud of IR and ARR. I guess after BOSE from ARR and Thirvasagam by IR, other composers will not have the guts to say "My work is better than theirs".

rajasaranam
26th April 2005, 01:41 PM
jaiganes,

I know that . was just wondering what has the sorrowness which was pervalent in Emily theme -1 has got to do with her. may be ill understand it better on screen. After 'BOSE' its well established that ARR can do justice in composing a Symphony Though there were glimpses of him emerging as a symphony composer in 'Lagaan' and 'LOBS' , BOSE gets him right on the track. Hope he doesnt get back again to loops and softwares :(

jaiganes
26th April 2005, 02:32 PM
I am loking forward to the day when ARR and IR will collaborate on a project. It could be anything, a movie, album or a symphony. I am sure the effect will be electric. IR can rest assured that his notes will be best mixed by Rahman's crew.

vijayr
27th April 2005, 06:51 AM
Rajasaranam, pleasantly surprised to see ur review of Bose. Listen to Swades too, especially Yuhin chala and Rahman's yeh joh des hai tera - a more soulful rendition than "veLLai pookkaL". His "mujhpe toofan" in Tehzeeb is a classic that wasnt noticed since the movie was a flop. It was tuned to a 18-th century poet's ghazal lyrics.Havent listened to a tune like that in HFM in ages.

jaiganes
27th April 2005, 11:16 AM
Upon 10th listening to Bose in 5 days, I am now enjoying the parallel melody to National anthem which (is it a counter point?) sneaks through while the brass in high pitch is singing the national anthem. Sounds delightful. I guess shyam Benegal and ARR have put their heart and soul into this project. If it is a precursor to ARR's symphony , I am ready for it. Also this album is the perfect curtain raiser to the movie. BTW, when is the movie releasing? any ideas?

Jacky
27th April 2005, 11:32 AM
Mujphe toofan is awesome. Aapko mujhpe from the same film (Tehzeeb) is reworked "Azhagey Sugama" - P.Paravasan was soothing too despite its redundancy.

zz
19th May 2005, 04:34 PM
Due to some unavoidable reasons I am not able to post any thing here and I am dying to post my comments on the master piece NSCB-FH......I hope I will be able to join you all guys very soon.

Surprised to see rajasaranam acknoledging ARR's work...That's agood development. Talent where ever it is should be recognised and promoted.

Guys I am sure, our side will not hesistate even a bit to promote IR's TIS in the form of buying cassettes or CDs when they are released on 27th June.

Bye for now

ZZ

Scale
21st May 2005, 12:18 PM
RS(Iya) sir! excellent write up. I WAS REALLY ASTONISHED BY THE THEME MUSIC and jana gana mana (chennai chor used in azaadi) and its orchestral version. VINTAGE ARR.... (He still hasnt lose his touch).

RS (Iya) SWADES/BOSE :thumbsup: CERTAINLY DESERVES A NATIONAL AWARD 2004. agreed??

though bose was released in early 2005 i think it would have been produced for certificate in 2004 itself like MEENAXI in 2003 itself though released in 2004.

any other nominations from your list for 2004 national award?

From ARR:2005 I m expecting "THE RISING" & international acclaim "TLOR" (better late than never) though his BD/WOHE HAS already marked his venture.

rajasaranam
24th May 2005, 04:37 PM
RS (Iya) SWADES/BOSE :thumbsup: CERTAINLY DESERVES A NATIONAL AWARD 2004. agreed??

Agreed If we try to overlook, the commercial flops 'Kamaraj' and 'Vishwa thulasi' for its astounding BGM

VishwaThulasi has already bagged the 'GOLD REMI' for it Musical Score at the World Fest :thumbsup:
http://www.worldfest.org/mainframe.htm

dinesh2002
24th May 2005, 06:09 PM

Agreed If we try to overlook, the commercial flops 'Kamaraj' and 'Vishwa thulasi' for its astounding BGM

VishwaThulasi has already bagged the 'GOLD REMI' for it Musical Score at the World Fest :thumbsup:

the songs that got me a headache after watching the movie won an award? :? anywayz...i still never failed to get the headache when eva i try to listen to the songs (seriously,im not joking or beein sarcastic)..anywayz...congrats to IR-MSV!!!

genesis
24th May 2005, 09:35 PM

They have given awards to almost 1000 movies... VT is just one of them... And you are posting that as an achievement!!??

rajasaranam
24th May 2005, 10:04 PM
Genesis dont be in a hurry to show your ignorance in order to defame IR. the Excel sheet is filled with awards given right from 1979 till 2005. This years best musical score is given for IR-MSV combo :D

rajasaranam
24th May 2005, 10:34 PM
Genesis dont be in a hurry to show your ignorance in order to defame IR. the Excel sheet is filled with awards given right from 1979 till 2005. This years best musical score is given for IR-MSV combo :D

genesis
24th May 2005, 10:53 PM
http://www.worldfest.org/PAGES/orderawards.htm

Click on the above link, pay and get your award Mr.Saranam.

rajasaranam
25th May 2005, 12:35 AM
[tscii:66e3b65220]
http://www.worldfest.org/PAGES/orderawards.htm

Click on the above link, pay and get your award Mr.Saranam.

Again in a hurry :D

http:// http://www.worldfest.org/PAGES/history.htm

If you dont have patience iam reproducing something from that page

"WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival (now it’s 39th year!) continues with its totally dedicated Independent Film screening format for the upcoming April 21 - 30, 2006 unspooling at the AMC Meyer Park 16 Theaters. WorldFest will screen just 55-60 feature film premieres, with a complete and absolute emphasis on the American and International Independent feature films and with a continuing annual spotlight on an individual country and its films. WorldFest also offers competition in TV Production, Documentary, Corporate & Business Films, Student & Experimental, TV Commercials, Film & Video Production, Music Videos, New Media (Interactive & Web Sites), Screenplays, Print and Radio. WorldFest is one of the oldest and largest film & video competitions in the world, with more than 4,300 category entries received from 37 countries in 2005. Actually WorldFest is 12 Major film & video competitions in one event, unlike Cannes, Sundance and Toronto, which are just 2 competitions for shorts and features only. Because of our 12 major competitions and the 200+ sub-categories, WorldFest does give a lot of awards, but they are both earned and deserved. No awards are given in any category unless the scores from the juries are high enough to place for honors. Overall only 15-20% of the total category entries actually win an award at WorldFest. However, everyone attending the Grand Awards Gala wins an award, as we only invite the actual winners, which makes for a delightful and enjoyable evening, since there are no disappointed "nominees" that do not win anything. Those that do not win an award are informed by email or letters prior to the festival.

honestly i dont understand what that link you gave means but iam sure that doesnt mean the way you want to demean it :wink:
And its also clear in the same page you gave that only the winners can order the award, Iam sure myself or you cannot buy one :lol: [/tscii:66e3b65220]

genesis
25th May 2005, 01:01 AM
Forget it - you wont get it. :banghead:

rajasaranam
25th May 2005, 01:19 AM
You too arent going to get it :notworthy: :poke:

Movies
25th May 2005, 02:06 AM
Rajasaranam,

Due you realise its MSV tune and IR arrangements for that movie?

This is not the first time they have teamed up.

Mella Thirandhathu Kathavu also had the same team and MSV composed the tunes and arrangements were by IR. MSV said this in a Suntv Interview.

I am not sure who composed the BGM for the movies though.

Yeah I agree I think Vishwa Thulasi had some great nostalgic songs. It felt soo soothing like listeing to the good old B/w eras!

Movies
25th May 2005, 02:07 AM
Oh, and IR cudnt make it on his own either , He needed the help of an all time genius like MSV to get himself an award!

MADDY
25th May 2005, 05:47 AM
RS, r u Mohan Das Menon's(Espn-Star statistician) cousin brother??? :lol: eppa paarthaalum linksum,statisticsuyium kayil vechikittu alaiyaringa....

rajasaranam
25th May 2005, 04:44 PM
Oh, and IR cudnt make it on his own either , He needed the help of an all time genius like MSV to get himself an award!

We dont find anything wrong in this and IR himself has great regards for MSV.

rajasaranam
25th May 2005, 04:46 PM
RS, r u Mohan Das Menon's(Espn-Star statistician) cousin brother??? :lol: eppa paarthaalum linksum,statisticsuyium kayil vechikittu alaiyaringa....

Yaaruppa athu Mohan Das Menon :? espn-star ellam paarkarathu illai, Naan XML aa evalo miss panraennu ungalukku theriyathu :(

Dragun
26th May 2005, 01:48 AM
Even though the music of Bose is obviously meant to go with the film and not as standalone pieces they are enjoyable on their own. I'm sure their impact will be heightened by the film's situations.