PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

Deep_Secrets
26th April 2005, 12:47 PM
I am near-sighted. Somedays, like today, I get ugly headaches and feel that it's weakening more and more each day. I did have a checkup and got glasses which I don't want to wear and only wear them when reading or if someone is not around :x . The examiner gave me the miserable news that it will get worse and even eyeglasses won't stop it from getting so. So what good are those for then, I don't wear them much. Okay, now I want tips about how to prevent worse from happening. What are the symptoms of sight-weakening in action? What kind of headaches do you get? And is it true that carrots are good for eyes? Share anything you know about this topic, Please.

tomato
26th April 2005, 02:11 PM
Why don't u go for contact lens if u mind wearing spectalcles - for cosmetic reasons? It will be a bit irrtating intially, but once u get used to it, it won't bother u much. I hope u r not the kind that doses off reading, coz u have to be quite diciplined abt taking the lens off even for a short nap. Also I have heard that wearing contact lens will slow down the process of weakening eyesight.

Deep_Secrets
26th April 2005, 02:14 PM
Why don't u go for contact lens if u mind wearing spectalcles - for cosmetic reasons? It will be a bit irrtating intially, but once u get used to it, it won't bother u much. I hope u r not the kind that doses off reading, coz u have to be quite diciplined abt taking the lens off even for a short nap. Also I have heard that wearing contact lens will slow down the process of weakening eyesight.

I am considering buying lenses. I have heard that they will stick to your eyeballs permanently if you unknowingly rub your eyes :shock: . It'll be hard but I'll try training myself beforehand :P . Do they really? I mean slow down the process of weakening? That's great. Now I have a good reason to give to my mother for getting contact lens :D .

tomato
26th April 2005, 02:38 PM
Yes DS, lens is less strenous for ur eyes cos it covers the whole cornea. Specs would put more strain on the eyes when u r looking sideways, but lens will not coz it covers the whole of cornea. ( This info was from my sis's opthamologist) My sis has been wearing contact lens for the past 3-4 yrs and her eye power is almost the same. But ofcourse consult ur ophtamologist and discuss with him on the pros and cons of using contact lens in your specific case. Some people whose power is very high find it very irritable to wear C lens for more than 4-5 hrs. Guess it depends on individual case.

Deep_Secrets
26th April 2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks tomato for your suggestions. :) . All appreciated.

NM
26th April 2005, 02:54 PM
Dear DS,

I had to wear glasses when I turned 16 but, like you I refused. By the time I was 18, the power had shot up and I had no choice but to wear it everyday. The opthometrist told me off...she pointed out if I had been religiously worn it day-in-day-out, I would have gotten my eye-sight back to normal. Well.....that was too bad... too late..I later passed the msg on to my little brother and yes, he had to wear glasses only for 2 years, and till now, his eye-sight is good, no glasses. But again, it depends on what sort of power you start of with. Mine was under 150 when I started. My brother's was under 100.

As for the alternatives, I tried the contact lens but since I have sensitive eyes, it did not suit me. The thing with lens is that when you travel, you have to carry the whole package (ie all the soltuions etc etc) unless it's the extended wear. One of my friends had conjunctivities due to hygiene problem..

Then came the lasik...I was skeptical at first but a lot of friends went for it and after 10 years, they're still happy with it, so,...I did it last year and am happy with the results..

Looking at yr profile, you are abt 18?? The surgeon informed me the min age for lasik should preferably be 18, because that's when your eyesight stabilizes......so, you wanna give it a shot??

Deep_Secrets
26th April 2005, 03:01 PM
Ok. First what is lasik? :oops: ..I am so ignorant. I don't even know what the 'power' is? Eyeglasses power? Should have payed attention when I went for the checkup :oops:.. again.

Good you have warned me beforehand of the results of ignoring glasses :shock:...I just don't feel comfortable wearing them in front of everyone...my sister teases me and it's so annoying!!! :x . So if I wear them regularly, it (sight) would neither weaken nor get stronger?

I'll be 18 in june!

NM
26th April 2005, 03:15 PM
DS...first let me be clear.....this is only my opinion and it is based only on my experience or known experience...so, it may not hold true for everyone...I have to say this in case there's an opto reading this very moment and getting the M-16 out...or a lwyer getting ready with the suit.. :lol:

Anyway, yes, the power I meant is the eyeglass power. If your power is low, and you don't over-exert your eyes (ie read for too long periods or under dim lights etc etc), yes, chances are that you will be able to maintain it...or even improve yr sight.

Lasik is a Laser surgery, the actual surgery itself takes only abt 15-30secs per eye. The procedure involves cutting a very thin layer of your cornea into a flap, laser off the surface to the required thickness and place the flap back on..you can read abt it in the net, the success rate is above 90 %, I took the risk and am happy with it...but you still need to consult the surgeon and undergo some tests to see of your cornea is thick and strong........hope I have not frightened you off!! :shock: :shock:

Deep_Secrets
26th April 2005, 03:17 PM
:shock: ... :lol: . But of course they'll give me some medication so I don't feel it? :shock:

NM
26th April 2005, 03:19 PM
:shock: ... :lol: . But of course they'll give me some medication so I don't feel it? :shock:OF COURSE, my dear!!! :D

tomato
26th April 2005, 03:22 PM
Hey NM,
How much time gap did u allow in between lasek for two eyes? Can u also tell us where u got this treatment done?

a.ratchasi
26th April 2005, 03:25 PM
DS, you may go to the link below to know what LASIK is.

What is LASIK (http://www.optimax.com.my/treatments/lasik.htm#)

The best bet is to follow what your optometrist says.
Like it or not, he/she knows your condition better. :)

NM
26th April 2005, 03:29 PM
Wow...maybe I can start my own consultancy firm......ahem!! the charges .........3USD for the first 3 minutes and 2 USD for every 30 seconds after that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Tomato (love to eat it raw and cold)... :wink:
Anyway, LASIK can be done on both eyes on the same day, some do it 2 weeks apart. There are 2 other versions (the old ones) which need a few weeks/ months in between. BTW, just heard, there's a newer technology..haven't read abt it yet..but apparently there's no more blade-cutting of the cornea...

I did mine in Malaysia...where are you from??

scorpio
26th April 2005, 03:29 PM
and............. most importantly DS, stop being awake till early mornings ( I guess it is well past midnight there) and browsing n chatting on the net, will do lot of good to yr eyes!

NM
26th April 2005, 03:30 PM
DS, you may go to the link below to know what LASIK is.

What is LASIK (http://www.optimax.com.my/treatments/lasik.htm#)

The best bet is to follow what your optometrist says.
Like it or not, he/she knows your condition better. :)

AR...good thing I stated that first para...else......there would hv been one bullet.... I guess... :lol: :lol: :lol:

tomato
26th April 2005, 03:33 PM
Rt u r scorpio rt u r. Sometimes this kid needs a reprimand from a 'akka' (big sis) like u.

NM, I'm from India currently residing in Singapore.

a.ratchasi
26th April 2005, 03:39 PM
AR...good thing I stated that first para...else......there would hv been one bullet.... I guess...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NM, welcome back!! :)

DS, there is another apt link for your review. :wink:
Teens' Vision (http://www.allaboutvision.com/teens/)

Raghu
26th April 2005, 03:59 PM
Deep Secret,

Wearing Contact Lenses does indeed stops your eye power decreasing, and it also corrects your eye power to what it should be, wear soft lenses, it has improved my eye sight in the last 3-4 years, and this is true, the opticians have confirmed it!

I was terribly scared initially when the optician lady, who tried to put it for me for the first time, you will get lots of tears, and you eyes will look reddish, but you will get use it to after couple of times.

But never sleep with them or wash your face/ have shower with the lenses in your eyes as it will stick to your eyeballs and it will be a bit difficult to remove them, hard lenses are a bit scary, but soft lenses are cool.

You must disinfect the lenses after you take them off and before you put them back, this is vital, or else it will build up protein fibres on the lenses

Good Luck

Deep_Secrets
27th April 2005, 06:18 AM
and............. most importantly DS, stop being awake till early mornings ( I guess it is well past midnight there) and browsing n chatting on the net, will do lot of good to yr eyes!

:oops: ..hehehe...it's becoming a habit, will break it I hope :( .

Thanks you all for your help!

I have talked to my mother about the possibility of CL's and results are good.

So do I contact my eye-doctor about CL's or can get them directly from where they are sold? Is it possible to buy them over net? I am in a hurry right now or I have alot of other questions...will post later.

Badri
27th April 2005, 06:21 AM
When it comes to sensitive things like eyes, you don't want to be a godamm fool and buy stuff over the internet. Go take an appointment with your doc, discuss the problem with him/her, get a prescription and then buy your lenses. In most cases, your opthalmologist or your optometrist would have the lenses with them, so they can read your report and give you the correct lenses.

Shekhar
27th April 2005, 12:25 PM
DS,

Were you a premature born baby?!!! :o :)

nirosha sen
27th April 2005, 03:01 PM
Hmm.....DS - How abt juicing carrots with Jack Lalane's new Juicer and having a glass fortified with x-tra Vitamins A & C???? Might improve your sight Pa!!

Another tip given by an old friend is to exercise your eyes!

Try waking up early to look at the sunrise, then look at the farthest object in the horizon for abt 1 minute before zooming in on the nearest thatch of green, closest to you!

Do the above exercise a few times at any one time and daily, if possible. This massages your optic lenses to focus, for far and near sight and might help you, Pa!! :D

Deep_Secrets
27th April 2005, 11:51 PM
Try waking up early to look at the sunrise, then look at the farthest object in the horizon for abt 1 minute before zooming in on the nearest thatch of green, closest to you!

It's completely impossible for me to wake before 12 pm :roll: ...haha since I go to sleep about 3 am... :D . Nice tip, thanks!

Shekhar you just can't resist when opportunity shines, huh? :wink: ...everywhere... :roll:

Badri I am too lazy and hate going to doctors :x . those of you in USA or having heard of a store called Wal-Mart, they have this kind of stuff there so how about if I go to them instead? If not, then I'll do the other way :( ...

Oh the other questions were about what should I avoid doing and all after I get them on. Like should I take them off when washing my face?....I think someone answered them already and I didn't get to go through all posts yesterday.

Does too much reading weaken eyesight? How about in school, sitting in back of classroom, and black/white board being far away? Does that cause any damage? If so, then school is to blame :evil: .

Deep_Secrets
27th April 2005, 11:58 PM
[quote="NM"]but apparently there's no more blade-cutting of the cornea...quote]

Oh good! The cutting part really scared me!

AR, the links are very informative, thank you for posting them. I really didn't like the idea of the Lasik and I can't afford it right now and also don't want to burden others (that sounds like as if I think you are forcing me into it :lol: )...I will think about it once I can afford it myself...but wouldn't it be too late then? I'll just go for contact lense now.

What happens if you rub your eyes with cl's on? Would they immediatly get stuck on there permanently or do they get off? Sorry guys, I know I'll be getting all the answers from my opto-something :P but I am a impatient and curious type. Last night I was lying there and thinking about everything I'll have to do to get them and afterwards :lol: ...I went to sleep at 5 am :shock: .

nirosha sen
28th April 2005, 05:36 AM
Crumbs!! All this and NWFP awaits to immerse you into yet another "pickle vat" for 4 lo.......ng years Pa!!

Hm......Good Luck to you Child!! :cry:

Badri
28th April 2005, 05:42 AM
DS: If you are going to go ahead with contact lenses, make sure they are available wherever it is that you are going to. because you can't use a single pair forever. You have to change frequently. If the place you are going to would not have them, then stick to glasses!

NM
28th April 2005, 06:24 AM
If the place you are going to would not have them, then stick to glasses!......my thoughts, too!

Badri
28th April 2005, 06:34 AM
Hey DS: Specs are quite a comfortable thing. You can take them off when you want, handle them less carefully than you need to handle lenses, use the same pair for years together. And if you are really worried about your looks, you can select frames that enhance your looks too. There are so many brands that offer attractive alternatives.

Maybe it is because I am a guy, and wouldn't understand it but I'd rather be comfortable by wearing glasses than worry about seeming funny or odd. I mean, why give up comfort for looks?

But then, as I said, it is perhaps because I'm a guy. It is a known fact that women would rather pour hot wax on their legs and peel it off (ouch!) than be comfortable.

a.ratchasi
28th April 2005, 06:34 AM
AR, the links are very informative, thank you for posting them. I really didn't like the idea of the Lasik and I can't afford it right now and also don't want to burden others (that sounds like as if I think you are forcing me into it :lol:

Haha!The links were just that-information!

From your first post, it seems you are not into glasses because of two reasons:
1.Teasings by sister
2.You are conscious about your appearance

Once you start using glasses, you wont even remember having it on!That's because by then, you will get used to it so much and the initial displeasure will wearout by itself without you ever noticing.

Good luck!

NM
28th April 2005, 06:41 AM
Once you start using glasses, you wont even remember having it on!That's because by then, you will get used to it so much and the initial displeasure will wearout by itself without you ever noticing.Good luck!
U're right AR..I remember many a time when I knocked my "glasses" when I peered thru' the glass panels ..in the name of "window shopping" :lol: :lol: I totally forgot I was wearing them........

Badri
28th April 2005, 06:42 AM
U're right AR..I remember many a time when I knocked my "glasses" when I peered thru' the glass panels ..in the name of "window shopping" :lol: :lol: I totally forgot I was wearing them........

Or the times I washed my face, with the glasses on!!! :lol:

NM
28th April 2005, 06:48 AM
Thambi...did u really do that?? :lol: :lol:

Badri
28th April 2005, 06:54 AM
Oh yes, Big Akka...this happened after I got over the discomfort of wearing specs, and got so used to it that I forgot I was even wearing it!!!

Come to think of it, it is not such a bad thing as peering thru' glass panels, is it??? :lol: :lol:

a.ratchasi
28th April 2005, 07:23 AM
NM & Badri, I am so relieved that it's not me alone. :lol: :lol:

NM
28th April 2005, 09:13 AM
Badri thambi..........enna-pa...vaalu neeluthaa??? :evil:

Anyway....AR and Badri.... :lol: :lol: :lol: am sure many hv these experiences out there.....where's DS by the way?? :wink: :wink:

Badri
28th April 2005, 09:19 AM
Come on, Big Akka...don't show an angry face for such innocent expressions of brotherly affection!!! :lol:

Yup, as you said, everyone out there wearing specs or used to wear them are sure to have many more such experiences!!

NM
28th April 2005, 09:22 AM
That's a show of a sisterly affection for a brotherly expression..... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Tomorrow is Friday, thambi.....anything comes to mind??? :lol: :lol:

Deep_Secrets
28th April 2005, 09:23 AM
Badri and NM, same here :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I bumped them into a window too once.

AR, those two reasons are correct but another one is the umm, :? , 'scars' you get on both sides of your nose...know what I am referring to? :?

You know after reading about all I have to do with Lense, I have decided to stick to glasses...Badri they don't have them NEAR where I'll be but far away, about 2 hours journey :roll: . So another reason I'll stick to glasses. I'll just look for 'suitable' frames as you suggested. The first one I chose in a hurry

Niro, the 4-year studies was the main reason I wanted cls...I didn't want to look funny and old amongst all other kids :P :P :P ...

Badri
28th April 2005, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah...your promise!!! But look, nothing has been happening this whole week pa! People don't love me! :cry:

tomato
28th April 2005, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah...your promise!!! But look, nothing has been happening this whole week pa! People don't love me! :cry:

No, No badri you must be the most adorable hubber that there ever was. ( Hope guys who missed out on roasting U see this post :wink: ) Maybe the fact that U nominated yourself to the grill has infact taken away the fun of roasting you. Besides you r our 'moderator' :notworthy:

Badri
28th April 2005, 09:52 AM
Oh dear!! Now you have gone and done it, tomato!!!! :lol:

Anyway, let us end digression, and get back to "Eyesight"

Deep_Secrets
28th April 2005, 11:57 PM
Badri thambi..........enna-pa...vaalu neeluthaa??? :evil:

Anyway....AR and Badri.... :lol: :lol: :lol: am sure many hv these experiences out there.....where's DS by the way?? :wink: :wink:

I just went there right now :P :P :P ...you can't scare me away...has blahblah appointed you as the subsitute while he is gone :lol: ?

Of course I know you and Badri were kidding around. :roll:

Deep_Secrets
29th April 2005, 12:03 AM
Oh and I am leaving this FH for many reasons. Today'll be the last day I post or come here. You all have been very tolerant :lol: and I appreciate that...Now hope another version of 'mandakkai' turns up, after all, you need some silly innocent fun in here too :P . I might come back :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: if 'someone' does the needy :wink: . Goodbye!

Badri
29th April 2005, 05:23 AM
We will miss you Dear Deep Secrets aka Gooshi!!

Have a safe time, child. God bless.

And yes, hope you do come back.

a.ratchasi
29th April 2005, 06:12 AM
The 'scar' is quite a thing...hmmm
Lucky for me, I am not required to have my glasses on for long hours!

Anyways, Gooshi, all the best to you and dont you ever forget to have some fun! :wink:

NM
29th April 2005, 06:13 AM
Oh and I am leaving this FH for many reasons. .......Goodbye!
Bye..DS. Hope to see U again!! (hope I will still be here when you come back!! :roll: :roll: )Good luck in yr ventures, child! I'll miss you & yr posts.. :lol: :wink: :wink:

tomato
29th April 2005, 08:05 AM
Good Luck to you Dear DS. :thumbsup: We will miss you. :( .And yes pls do come back, who knows some of us might still be hanging around(even after 4 yrs). :wink:

Surya
29th April 2005, 08:28 AM
Good Luck in everything DS. I know I'll still be around after 4 years with some billion-odd posts. God Bless. :D

Aww...:cry: now I'm gonna miss the "anono-moose" quotes. :cry:

Farewell. 8)

Deep_Secrets
29th April 2005, 10:56 AM
This is the part I love about leaving :wink: :P :P :P . Thanks all, I enjoyed making a fool of myself in here :lol: . Farewell :cry: ...

scorpio
29th April 2005, 10:58 AM
DS,

You're still here! All the best dear and enjoy life!
If you have any vacation or something and go to a place with internet facilities, dont forget to be back.

Deep_Secrets
29th April 2005, 11:00 AM
dont you ever forget to have some fun! :wink:

:lol: This 'fun' was enough to last me a lifetime :lol:

Deep_Secrets
29th April 2005, 11:02 AM
DS,

You're still here! All the best dear and enjoy life!
If you have any vacation or something and go to a place with internet facilities, dont forget to be back.

Yes Scorpio, 'today' is not over yet, here. Of course I'll check in here if I get the opportunity,...and post my silly posts :lol: .

Querida
30th April 2005, 08:57 AM
argh i go away for exams and look how much i missed!
Gooshi...hey come back when ya want to...will miss the anthakshri :D and you too of course..best of luck :thumbsup:

haha guess you guys confessed funny specs moments before i had to....i remember boring my family to death with "Oh my God i can see every freaking leaf on that tree!"...hehe i was made to stop after i got too amazed with the number of grey hairs auntie dear was sporting :lol:

Shekhar
30th April 2005, 10:05 AM
DS / Gooshi,

I was out for two days. Just saw your post. I don't know whether you will see this or it is too late. But I feel sad that you are leaving. And I have really pulled your leg many a times. Take it as an affectionate pat.
Best of luck to you. Have a great time.. I hope life has great things in store for you. We are really going to miss you.

Deep_Secrets
30th April 2005, 10:10 AM
Shekhar and Querida thanks and I'll miss you two as well. :cry:

Shekhar I enjoyed the leg-pulling, learned stuff from it too :P ...
Don't worry there are alot other versions of 'mandakkais' out there for your and other's leg- pulling :lol: ..someone might come along.

nirosha sen
30th April 2005, 12:33 PM
Gooshi - I somehow feel this is not goodbye but merely temporary step-back into the frenzy of leaving your home. I'm sure they have cyber-cafes in Peshawar, etc too!! So do drop us a line and tell us how it's going, Pa!!

I shall certainly miss you here in the meanwhile!! Take Care Child! :(

Deep_Secrets
30th April 2005, 12:49 PM
Niro I'll be leaving tomorrow... :D It is a goodbye though not for good :lol:

Thanks I have more respect for you as you were the only one who didn't do some 'leg-pulling' on me. I appreciate that... :)

Sorry didn't have time to look into the stories section :wink: ..maybe when I come back there'll be enough to keep me occupied for years :P .

blahblah
30th April 2005, 04:24 PM
This is the part I love about leaving :wink: :P :P :P . Thanks all, I enjoyed making a fool of myself in here :lol: . Farewell :cry: ...

Come back for more.I just saw that you have posted something today.Now you know that it is not so easy to get rid of some addictions. :D

Roshan
1st May 2005, 05:30 PM
Gooshi,

I think I'm too late :cry: But I hope you'd make it as soon as possible from where ever you are - since forumhub addiction is not that easy to get rid of :)

Anyways all the very best to you on your studies and for a happy and pleasant time there in Peshawar. :)

We'd certainly miss you. :cry: