PDA

View Full Version : TANDOOR....At "Sadde Punjab Da Sanjha Chulha "

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 10:48 AM
[tscii:c456ab1475]TANDOOR
"The Clay Oven"
THE GREAT INDIAN BARBEQUE

The TANDOOR, which means a Clay Oven, is of great antiquity; a cooking appliance that, either by accident or by design, is extremely efficient and yet simple to make.

HISTORY
Tandoors have been found in excavations of Harappan and pre-Harrapan sites. Where and when the first tandoors existed is still a matter of continuing research. But, generally speaking and because of the generic term `Tandoor´, it is said to have originated in ancient India.
Guru Nanak (AD 1469 - 1539) founded a new religion in Punjab called Sikhism. An important step he took was to bring all people together under the concept of langer. Here, people of all castes sat and ate together. The tandoor was used to its full potential and was able to serve hot, freshly baked bread to many people at a time. The Guru urged people to have common tandoors in their lanes. This not only did away with the concept of high and low caste, it was a great fuel saver. The sanjha chulha or common oven as it was called, proved extremely popular with the womenfolk. It was economical and gave them a common platform to exchange ideas and daily news.
The concept took root quickly and spread all over Punjab and the North-West Frontier Provinces. In many places, the tandoor was lit for all to bake their bread. People of every tone came - caste, creed and color were forgotten. The goal was common: to bake fresh bread for a hungry stomach.
The tandoor held its own just as it had done down the ages. During the Second World War one could get delicious mince-meat seekh kebabs made in the tandoor at Nisbat Road in Lahore. In the frontier areas and Punjab, preparations of meat and fowl like teetar, bater, chicken, all made in the tandoor, were popular.

Tandoori chicken and roti are now world famous. When one stops to think that the appliance we have today is a form of what primitive man might have used, the historic ethos of the tandoor becomes quite amazing.

CONSTRUCTION
The tandoor works on the same princple as the oven. However, it is the only kind of oven that provides complete wrap-around heat. No modern oven has that capability, making the tandoor one of the most scientific and versatile of all cooking apparatus. By controlling the draught and quality of fuel, we are able to produce temperatures up to 400 degrees C. It can be built on site from good clay and uses chopped, dry timber as fuel. Counter sunk and mud plastered, it can be ready for heating in three days. If built of clay, however, it needs six to seven days to dry. The fact remains that you do not have to go anywhere special to make a tandoor, and you can make one wherever you are.

TANDOOR TODAY
In India we have basically two types of tandoors. The small home tandoor and the larger, commercial tandoor. The home clay tandoor is small in size and can accommodate eight to ten rotis at a time. The last few years have seen a major change in the home tandoor. In a major improvisation, the tandoor is now enclosed in a metalic drum. This prevents it from cracking and it can be carried from place to place. Sizes vary from the little ones with a capacity of six to eight rotis to the largest ones that can bake twenty to twenty-five rotis at a time.
Other places where forms of tandoors were and are still used are
Afghanistan, Egypt, China, Iran, Arab Countries, Caucasus and Europe.

Excerpts from "Tandoor - The Great Indian Barbeque" by Ranjit Rai
[/tscii:c456ab1475]

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 10:55 AM
In this thread, I would be posting recipes, critisism, howlers from net ,some pujabi da humour but all connected with kitchen.

Early mornings in Karamjeet's Dhaba would be the time for Tea.
The truck drivers need something to get over their hangover of "Lalpari "or the "Desi "which they might have drunk with great food the previous night.

In punjab, we call tea call as CHHAY-SHAY ho jaay.
Someone had requested about Kadak Chaay of Dhaba .
So get the recipe which you will not like to use to prepare tea.

KADAK CHAAY of dhabas is a concoction of Tea (Usually dust tea) boiled in water along with either some Poppy Pods or with a dash of Opium.The boiling goes over ten minutes to extract resins from poppy pod. The decoction is added to equal amount of milk. Please use your own measure if you want.

The dhaba man may add a dash of Ginger or Elaichi .

This is known as,
MARDON WALI CHAY or TANATAN CHAY.
This is strictly Truck driver's delight.

The usual Punjabi Chay is not so strong and mainly Elaichi is used to add aroma to tea made from milk and water using both in 75:25 ratio. Milk is Buffalo milk and water of Punjab. Tea from Assam/Dajeeling or Timbaktoo it does not matter. LOL.

tomato
28th April 2005, 10:58 AM
Hello Pammi,
Thanx for the info. Read on some other thread that you r from Punjab. Pls post some recipes of simple home cooked food from Punjab. I really enjoy all the rich punjabi dishes we get in the restruants like daal makhani, paneer makhani, palak paneer, malai kofta ect. But what I'm looking fwd to is some simple recipes cooked at home for everyday meals. Something that U have learnt from your mom, aunts, granny ...
Would really appreciate it if u could spare the time to post such recipes, coz these recipes r not available to me thru cook books or the net.

tomato
28th April 2005, 10:58 AM
Gosh Pammi, mine was a humble request for some home cooked food. And u r plannig to kill us opium tea :shock: :shock:
Now I understand why poppy seeds r banned in singapore. I had no idea boiling poppy pods for ten mins brings out harmful resins out of it.

tomato
28th April 2005, 10:59 AM
I'm mainly looking for recipes of veggies, daal, lentils that go well with phulka. I would prefer it to be quick and simple as I have to make it in the morning and pack it into lunck boxes. Chicken and egg recipes r also welcome, I can try them for dinner.

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 11:05 AM
[tscii:fe8cb8a3b5]Hi Friends,

I wus doin some "Research" on some recipe on fish as prepared by Parsis . And what do I catch instead of fish?
See 4 urself.. :lol:

Patrani Macchi (Wrapped Chicken) - CAROL SELVA RAJAH

Serving size: Serves 8
Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes

INGREDIENTS

500gm chopped chicken meat
lotus leaves (8 large pieces), banana leaves or foil
1 Spanish onion chopped
2 cm ginger chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon oil for frying
3 tablespoons lime juice
˝ cup coriander leaves, chopped finely
2 coriander plant roots, chopped
10 ground almonds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds dry roasted, then pounded
2 teaspoons chilli paste or powder
˝ teaspoon sugar & salt
juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons ghee or margarine to fry the parcels Print recipeEmail recipeCreate shopping list

METHOD

Cut the banana leaves into 22-24cm squares and soften them by dipping into a pan of very hot water. Wipe the pieces dry when they become pliant. Arrange meat in a bowl. Paste gets mixed into meat then it is divided into 8 portions to be placed on banana or lotus leaves.

In a wok gently cook the onions, garlic and ginger to brown, then blend with the rest of the coriander root and leaves and the chilli and cumin powders.

Apply the paste to the meat and mix well, then place on the 8 banana leaves. Sprinkle some lime or lemon juice and after balancing flavours wrap up, tying firmly with string or raffia.

Place the oil in a shallow saucepan and heat on low. Shallow-fry the fish parcels together. After about 5 minutes, turn the parcels over and fry for a further 5 minutes. Cover pan to cook meat. The leaves will darken and shrink. Grill under heat for a couple of minutes to give a smoky flavour.

Serve each parcel opened up on a plate, garnished with mint leaves with festive yellow rice, a simple yoghurt and cucumber raita and a mango or lime chutney.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=42840

My thick Sardar brain is still searching for the "Phish" :lol:

pammi

[/tscii:fe8cb8a3b5]

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Tomato,

That wus quick !

Ur name suggests that u2 are a foodie like me.
Ya, I know people need real stuff and I would try and get recipes of our kitchens .
Any preference?
If I have the recipe, I'll post it or else will get it 4 u.

Sadde naal rahoge to aish karoge...

pammi

Nichiro
28th April 2005, 11:49 AM
Hello Pammi,

I got confused with two threads started by you.
I think you have still not got the hang of going about the method of using the tools in this hub.
No problem. You will get used to in a week or so.

Your info on dhaba kadak chai was shocking. I know that in North, people use poppy pods in tea but using Afim is very evil :evil:

Loved the howler on patra ni machhi.

I would be requesting some veg recipes . Hope you would try and get me.

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Mr.Nichiro,

I'm sorry abt the twin postings. U r right. I wud get the hang of the system in couple of days.

Yes sir, the recipe mentioned above actually was printed in an Australian mag. Jus follow the link I gave at the bottom.
I 'm sure that the lady Carol Selavaraj did a blochy job as u can read in the following line,

"Place the oil in a shallow saucepan and heat on low. Shallow-fry the fish parcels together"

I can't follow how the PHISH suddenly re appeared. :roll:

pammi

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 04:44 PM
Hi ash-970,

Methinks that u r refering to my thread with Patra Ni Machhi howler from Australia and an informative piece on Mardon wali chaay.
What under current u've found ?
My mama da puttar had a trucking company and this information is very true.
u may fall down the stool if u know that truck drivers have another dangerous habit.
It is known as SAANP KATWANA.
A snake of small size which is found in Northern India is kept by people at Dhaba points. The truckers who are addicted to this dangerous form of self poison, go to these guys and get bitten on their tongue. The resultant euphoria and Nasha is too much like having drunk a bottle of moonshine.

Coming to the PATRA NI MACHHI recipe printed by me shows that people who do not know cooking profess to know and print recipes under their name which are lifted from other sources.
If some one like me uses cut and paste method of a recipe from a chinese site without knowing finer points of chinese food, people will ridicule me when they read it.

forum hub as I've discovered has a very strong presence on the net. Just as I discovered it, many others will be coming to forum through the recipe road. If the recipe is blotchy, the hub will get a bad name.
Actually I'm of the opinion that some one as experienced like Mr.Hemant (sorry, Mr. Nichiro) or Mrs. Mano or any other person having years of experience should run a seperate thread which would not only discuss different recipes but also point out what is incorrect in a recipe. (sorry my QC background comes here).Even they should not spare each other too.

If I'm not shot down as before, I wud like to point out gross errors in the recipe of PATRA NI MACHHI as posted by a lady in forum.
Under marination, u'll see lime juice etc. No lady , its not marination. Marination of fish in the recipe is of Green paste of spices.
Further more no name of appropriate fish is mentioned.

I've got nothing against any body here but an error is an error and has to be corrected.
Savy ?

pammi

ash_970
28th April 2005, 05:21 PM
Hello Pammy,

Thanks for the response,

My objective for the request was to avoid any undue bickering among the members.
Your explanation on different points are very interesting and readable.

As you have mentioned the HUB has a great presence ,
for the same reason by avoiding futile comments we can make it more respectable and information worthy.

This was not for you or any one particular but in general request .

A healthy criticism supported with genuine arguments would bring out more information.

Please don't get me wrong...hope I have made my self clear

No offence..Cheerssss mate :wink:

Nichiro
28th April 2005, 05:38 PM
Hello Pammi,

I feel flattered but I should decline to the post of QUALITY CONTROL person. :roll: :lol:

You see I am only an experienced amature . And not a pro.

I think you have pointed out a very valid thing. We do need to have some machanism to review recipes . I think a professional person like Mrs. Mano who runs Hotel ,fits the bill.

I would not like to comment on the recipes posted so far.

About truck driver's habit of snake bite is true as per your information, It is but natural that we have so many ghastly accidents involving trucks.

My family was associated with Parsis of Rajkot,Porbandar and Mumbai.
Wadias were clients of my Grand father.

Coming back to Patrani Maachhali as it is known by Parsis
If I recollect well, The fish is cooked in Plantain leaves after roughly descaling and removing the head. A true parsi will not de-skin the fish. Some chefs do not remove the head.
If I am not wrong, the fish is not deskinned
If they do, the fish gets over cooked.

This dish is actually a LAGAN NU BHONU or marriage recipe. Fish they use is called paplet or Pomphret
You can have more details from the following link.

http://www.mumbainet.com/eatinout/jimmy.htm

Nichiro

tomato
28th April 2005, 06:08 PM
Pammi,
I was so excited when to started this thread on 'authentic punjabi food'. But all I see is u r busy picking holes and throwing dirt. Throughly dissapointed that u have not yet given us a single recipe. :( :cry:
But ofcourse I would give u the credit for posting some intersting info abt 'truck drivers and their habits', but that again is really not to my taste, entirely my fault though :notworthy: (my taste I mean).

Let me also say this ; I still live on hope.

Nichiro
28th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Hello Tomato,

May be you have a point there . But if you look at what pammi had to say, we do need some sort of parameters to follow when posting a recipe.

I think we need to seriously think on those lines too. Every one wants to give something to others. But let us give the best.
Quality needs to take precedence over quantity.

I am all ready to get my recipes discussed before posting in final slot.

Actually it would be my suggestion to have something like quarantine thread where members who are well experienced can discuss a recipe and then ok it. (A panel may be formed.)
That recipe will then go for permenant posting.
If others are of same view we can request Forum Hub to ok it.

Any takers ?

Nichiro

ash_970
28th April 2005, 09:39 PM
Sat Sri Aakal Pammi,

Assi twade shanje chule te khade hai ( Truck laiyeke... :lol: )

Badi bukKh laggi hai...Tusi aab kuchh paroso te ..mazza aavega... :D

tomato
29th April 2005, 09:58 AM
Hello Tomato,

May be you have a point there . But if you look at what pammi had to say, we do need some sort of parameters to follow when posting a recipe.

I think we need to seriously think on those lines too. Every one wants to give something to others. But let us give the best.
Quality needs to take precedence over quantity.

I am all ready to get my recipes discussed before posting in final slot.

Actually it would be my suggestion to have something like quarantine thread where members who are well experienced can discuss a recipe and then ok it. (A panel may be formed.)
That recipe will then go for permenant posting.
If others are of same view we can request Forum Hub to ok it.

Any takers ?

Nichiro

Nichiro,
All that u r suggesting sounds quite ideal to me, but the question is; is it practical/feasible? For the said panel to be formed, how many expierenced, unbiased hubbers do we have here who r willing to go thru the recipes posted and ok it (r they willing to spare the time)?
I believe everyone is capable of cooking some dishes well, age or experience has not got anything to do with it. I've had the oppurtunity to taste the same recipes made by diff people with diff age and experience. ( I have a huge set of aunts and uncle on both my parents side.) I've seen that some r able to make excellent sambhar, while others using the same recipe r capable of turning it into a disaster even at the age of 50(with a cooking experience of 3 decades).
So my stand is that even if u do not have decades of experience it is still possible to master the art of cooking if u have the passion for it, and i think there is no harm in sharing those recipes here with fellow hubbers. To me the main critria would be the hubber who posts the recipes should be confident enough to cook the dish well and also be able to guide someone who is trying it out for the first time.
Saying that I also think it would be rude to just lift some recipe from a book or the net and post it without having tried it out and to claim that it will taste great. If u did copy it from some other source and have not tried it urself, courtesy would be to warn that u have not tried it and u have just taken the trouble to search out the particular recipe on request.
My 2 cents.........

Nichiro
29th April 2005, 10:42 AM
Hello Tomato,

I fully concur with your side of arguement.

What I meant was not the taste part of it but genuineness of the recipe itself.

As you saw yesterday, the lady in Australia did not know the meaning of Machhi and thought that you can make chicken in a leaf. So she did some substitution of Fish with chicken and forgot/did not know how to go about it properly.
So the name of the dish remains the same and the whole thing ends in a fiasco.:cry:

As pointed out by pammi, She also forgot to make the correction in one place and word Fish remained as it is. :lol:

If I am wrong, please correct me Pammi.

When you have experience, at least you know the difference between right and wrong.

Rest remains with the person who actually cooks.

ash_970
29th April 2005, 03:02 PM
Guys..Guy...Guys...

Hold on your horses ..step back for a moment....why are we discussing a recipe which is not even published on this forum.

As far as I know we hubbers are quite critical about any thing we do not agree....and we point out right on....

As per my understanding this is ppls forum and we should maintain the same principals of

FOR THE PEOPLE .....BY THE PEOPLE...

let people be the judje and jury.

(of course we will maintain the decorum and dignity while sending our opinions..)

Let's take this discussion out of this thread and give Pummi an opportunity to publish her recipes.

What say Pammi....

Pammi Randhawa
29th April 2005, 04:14 PM
Hi ash-970,

methinks that now u are being critical of genuine discussion of what we can do to improve our output.
methinks nichiro meant the same.

Ya, I'm ready to throw open my output for for QC.
Ya u said it right ma'm, this is people's forum and it is democratic, am I right ?
Then why we shouldn't discuss anything which matters to us?

I've read ur postings and know u mean well.
Hope am being clear.

pammi

Pammi Randhawa
29th April 2005, 04:30 PM
Hi Tomato,
U had asked for something in dals . I'm giving my 1st output and it goes to u.

I'm giving the basic recipe with process flow chart. U wud hv to follow it in general and at the end of the recipe, I will give ya finer hints. Hope its ok?

So.... Abracadabra 1st recipe From Pammi.

PANCH RATAN DAL

(pre-final model)

Serves 4 people

Preparation Time : 1 Hour

Ingredients

50 Grams channa dal
50 gms Toor Dal
50 Grams urad dal
50 Grams moong dal
50 Grams masoor dal
3to 4 tbsp Ghee/Veg oil
1 Medium Onions, Sliced
5 cloves Garlic,
1 pc. Ginger Crushed(6 to 10 gms)
1 Medium Tomato, Sliced
1/2 tsps Cumin Seed
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric
2 tsps Salt (or to taste)
2 pcs Khadhi Lal Mirch (whole red chilies)
1 tsp Amchur powder
2 tbsp Fresh Coriander,
2 Green Chilies

FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

clean and wash all Dals thoroughly . Soak in water keep aside for about 30 mts.

Fry whole red chilies,onion, ginger ,garlic and Cumin seeds in oil/ghee in a cooker/Kadhai.

Now add cut tomato, salt and red chili powder. Stir well till oil/ghee seperates.

Add about 1/2 liter of water, turmeric and all soaked dals in the cooker, add fried mixture also.

Cook for 2 whistles to three whistles. When cold, open the cooker,remove in a seperate patela.

Now add Garam Masala,Amchur,Green chilies, and heat on medium flame for three minutes .

Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Rotis/Paranthas or Rice.

End Recipe.

Please ask ur questions abt this recipe step by step and I'll answer.

One thing about this dal is, u can prepare either one, two or up to five dals with basically same recipe.

Pammi Randhawa
29th April 2005, 04:45 PM
Hi Mr.Nichiro,

Ya, me too agree with u abt what u wrote on Patrani machhi postings to me and Tomato.

That's why I've put basic recipe for further discussion so finer points can be discussed.
Once the customer is satisfied , I'll put the package on the shelf. :lol:

I 've read through ur recipes in the website. I'm sorry but u give too long details I've no patience to do that.. Methinks people these days are well read to understand shorter pieces. :wink:

pammi

ash_970
29th April 2005, 04:47 PM
Now you are talking. Pammi .. good to see your first recipe...we will wait for more.

I meant good.... with no ofence...

I have couple of Sardar friends.....I don't want to get caught on the wrong side of Sardarni... :lol: ..Sadda panga leneka koi plan nahi hai....

The idea of QC is good but it works in controlled environment...This is a open forum ...imagine if some one would like to make a

Patrani ni marghi(Packeted chicken) ....instead of Patrani ni machhi....So let people choose and criticise...

Now couple of days back ...for example we had a good difference of opinion on Raitha

In North India raitha is made with out mustard seasoning..where in Gujarat and Maharashtra... we make raitha with mustard seasoning

So you cannot control ...but one is always welcome to send his/her opinion and cook with it's own way...Happy cooking my friend...weekend is coming....FOOD...FRIENDS ...and :thumbsup:

(idher eh problem hai...saddi Thums up nahi milti...)

Pammi Randhawa
29th April 2005, 04:55 PM
Hi ash-970,

koi gal nahi. Tusi sadde naal aish karogi. Sadde punjab di mah ki dal recipe bas kal ya parson posting hogi.
Tusi kitthe ho ji?

pammi

ash_970
29th April 2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks Pammi,

Aassi jo sachhi gal karega uske nal hamesha rahenga ...

aur galat bat ka jamke opose bhi karenge... ..

to phir ho jaye ...Bole so nihal.....

Waiting for Mah ki dal...Cheersss... :wink:

Nichiro
29th April 2005, 05:36 PM
Hello pammi,

Good to see you in action. Your recipe looks tempting enough for me to try this week end.

May be I will omit urad dhall. :)

In Gujarat and at my home, we cook Trevati dhall meaning, Channa, Tuver and Mung dhall mixture. Where in no elaborate spices are used. We use Asafoetida and may be onions at the most.

I noted your dig at my long recipes for which I have been told before also. :cry:

But I belong to old school where details are always insisted upon. You would be surprised to know that majority of my friends have been from technical background where they never had a chance/time to cook in India/before marriage.
Minute details helped them.
I think you have taken a bold step to post primary recipe and put it up for discussion.

I hope that you would enrich Forum Hub with good recipes. :thumbsup:

ash_970
29th April 2005, 05:50 PM
Hello Nichiro,

My humble request ....do not omit urad daal ...just follow verbatim... I know this recipe and the taste is just yum...Daal ..
garam garam chaaval / phulke ...aur aamka punjabi aachar...
(uuuhhhhh I am drooling....)

Just once try the complete recipe... u will not regret...and thanks to Pammi again

Nichiro
29th April 2005, 05:54 PM
ok ash_970, I will follow your advice.

svasu_ani
29th April 2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the recipe Pammi.
Instead of givin the measurements in terms of grams and litres, please use generic measurement of cups.

Thanks
Anitha

Minni
30th April 2005, 12:08 AM
Guys,

Subject: Whether its necessary to post the source of the recipe.

My opinion: As much as possible, yes!

I partly agree with tomato about the QC control. Afterall this is a forum to discuss our experiences and recipes. Whether obtained as a word of mouth or through other published sources we should be able to share our experiences and resources.

We can rightfully request ppl to post the source their recipes, would that not be fair ?

I know we may not have noted down the source name when storing it in our personal database(I have several such recipes that I have just accumulated without noting down the details of the source.)
At times, we may end up modifying them too(I do that all the time, by adding additional comments for my future reference, etc..)
In an event of posting such recipes, one may use a disclaimer saying that they would be willing to credit the source if its discovered.

In all other instances, if the recipes are obtained from books, magazines or other internet resources, we should credit the source. Otherwise its "internet plagiarism".

If one has frequented google groups, you would notice that most ppl quote the source of their recipe if obtained from other published sources.

Admitting a source does not belittle one's capability, infact would be a humble act.

With my subject of discussion stated clearly, I am not passing an "UnderCurrent" for or against anybody. As a fellow hubber am expressing my honest opinion.

Thanks,
Minni

tomato
30th April 2005, 07:44 AM
Minni,
Agree with u 100%. You have written the very thought that I had in mind, only u have expressed it better than I would have.

Pammi,
Thanx for posting tha dal recipe. Will try it out and post the feedback.
Your recipe looks quite simple and straight forward.I like the fact taht I don't need to make numeruos pastes and masalas. Also appreciate that everthing is going into one pot so less dishes to wash. :D This is what I call everyday cooking.
The more eleborate recipes(party fare) from u r also welcome though.
My next request would be mater paneer. Also do post some notes on paneer if possible.

Pammi Randhawa
30th April 2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Mr. Nichiro,

What ash-970 said is correct. The silken feel of Pancha Ratan dal comes from Urad dal. My mom would throw in thick malai on top for me . She did this as she thought I was very thin. At 13 or 14, I was
5.4 and weighed healthy 55 kgs. But in her eyes, I was thin.
All mothers are like that. :D

Pammi Randhawa
30th April 2005, 10:15 AM
Hi Anita,
Methinks u are right. From now on, I'd give measurement in cups also .

Pammi Randhawa
30th April 2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Minni and Mr. Tomato,

What both of u said is correct. Atleast people must write something like,
I saw this recipe in a magazine or wrote from a relative or mom or if it is from the www, then say from net and try to give the link to that site.
Simple ack wud do.
If we aren't honest to this extent, we can't expect the world to be honest. That includes one's children too.

No one is born with recipes in their C drive.
Not my Sardar brain also ...and that's for sure :lol:
All of us learn and implement. When we improvise, add and create somethin new, then its different. But adopting shortcuts with long scissors and using cyber fevicol , is out right criminal and is an attack on intellectual property of someone. :evil:
Phew.......
Hope I'm ok on this guys.

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 03:36 PM
Hello Pammi,
How I missed your posting ?
You do have a good sense of humour. But I agree that it is an not proper to fringe one's intellectual property.

waaza
30th April 2005, 07:14 PM
maybe you shouldn't be woried about the truck drivers.....

A latex containing several important alkaloids is obtained from immature seed capsules one to three weeks after flowering. Incisions are made in the walls of the green seed pods, and the milky exudation is collected and dried. Opium and the isoquinoline alkaloids morphine, codeine, noscapine, papaverine, and thebaine are isolated from the dried material. The poppy seeds and fixed oil that can be expressed from the seed are not narcotic, because they develop after the capsule has lost the opium-yielding potential.

Hope that puts your mind at rest
cheers
Waaza
:D

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 08:31 PM
Hello Wazza,
My experience says Poppy seeds are mildly narcotic and the dried poppy pod tea is habit forming.

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 04:39 PM
Hello Pammi,

By Garam Masal, do you mean any Garam Masala or would you suggest that we should use only Punjabi Garam Masala?
I think there is a zammen aasaman difference between usual Garam Masalas like Ashok, Badshah etc and MDH garam Masala.
Please let me know. I would like to request you to post Pujabi Garam Masala recipe at your convenience.

Toor dhall and Mung dals have different cooking requirements in terms of time. Would not Mung dhall become too soft/mashed up by the time Toor dhall gets cooked?

tomato
3rd May 2005, 09:35 AM
Hello Pammi,
Tried the panch ratan dal today. Came out delicious. I believe that punjabi garam masala is a bit diff, but since I did not have it I used my home made garam masala pow instead. But would really appreciate if u could post the recipe for the 'punjabi G masala ' as well. AlSo I did not have amchur pow on hand so put a tsp of lime juice instead. Still the taste was great. Looking fwd to more recipes from U.

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 10:10 AM
Hello Pammi,

Not a tweak from you for the last three days? Where are you?

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 01:44 PM
Knock...knock. are you there pammi?
Hope all is well with you.

Urmila
4th May 2005, 04:30 PM
What is the difference between dhaba recipes and punjabi dishes , if any at all ? Aren't dhaba dishes predominantly Punjabi ???

Pammi Randhawa
5th May 2005, 04:30 PM
Hi wazza,

Ya, Nichiro is correct. Poppy pods are habit forming.

Pammi Randhawa
5th May 2005, 04:37 PM
Hi Mr. Nichiro,

Sorry, I cud have replied to your message but the release on Tuesday was deadly. :twisted:
Believe me, I worked like a donkey and strutted like a chicken to get things done.
Oh....a load off my back.

Yes about MDH garam masala, it is typical Punjabi masala.
It has a distinct different combo and khushbu than other masalas.
Better use that when cookin Punjabi dishes.
Thanks for ur concern.
Gonna post Dal Makhani . Hope you guys like it.

pammi

Pammi Randhawa
5th May 2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Tomato,
I jus replied to Mr.Nichiro about punjabi Garam masala.
Taste of amchur is different . So next time, try that too.
I will post punjabi masala recipe in a couple of days.
Thanx for the rev words 'abt pancha ratan dal.

Pammi Randhawa
5th May 2005, 04:55 PM
What is the difference between dhaba recipes and punjabi dishes , if any at all ? Aren't dhaba dishes predominantly Punjabi ???

Hi Urmila,

Good question.
Dhabas came into being to cater to road travellers .
Especially Truckers of Punjab.
A typical dhaba has no more than five or six dishes at any given time.
Dal, Roti, Naan, Parathas , Sabzi , Lassi, Dahi , Achar a chicken dish and a gravy chicken dish are always on the menu.
The spices used are simple. Garlic, ginger , khada masalas are main taste makers.

Punjabi food which is home food, is dhaba food plus a lot of other varieties which a dhaba will not cater to.

If you are looking for fancy tidbits like Kachodi, then you'd be sorry.
Also don't look for rumali rotis either.

A dhaba serves food on chaupal or charpoy.

Basically dhabas give you a Punjabi rustic village fare.

pammi

Pammi Randhawa
5th May 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Friends,
Another recipe of Dal Makhani ? Ya, try this out and tell me the result.

Dal Makhani is the soul of Punjabi cooking.
Many people try to duplicate the preparation with
Variations and shortcuts.
It needs real patience to cook DAL MAKHANI with its
original spirit.Its is the only lentil preparation which is full
of both proteins and fat.

A traditional dhaba in true spirit, boasts of hardly five
or at the most six items at any given time. Most important
of them is Dal Makhani followed by Inevitable Roti-shoti,
makke di roti and sarson da saag or other vegetables of season.
(How many of you know that cluster beans is fed mainly to buffalows in Punjab?)
Chicken in both dry Tandoor type and also In gravy are inevitable.
Contrary to common belief, rice is rarely present in Dehati Dhabas.
So guys I'm giving the family recipe of Dal Makhani (Lahori)

So.... Abracadabra 2nd recipe From Pammi

Dal Makhani (Mah Sabut Dal)(For a family of 4)

(pre-final model)

Ingredients

3/4 cup Black urad whole
2 Tbsp rajmah soaked overnight
2 Tbsp channa dal
4 cups of water,
salt to taste
2 pinches of cooking soda(Only if water is hard)
1" piece ginger
4 to 5 cloves garlic
2 dry red chillies -- soaked for 10 minutes
4 tomatoes blanched and pureed. Remove skin
4 tbsp ghee
2 tsp dhania (coriander) powder,
1/2 tsp Punjabi garam masala
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup fresh malai,
1/4 cup milk

FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

Clean, wash dals.Remove stones grit. soak urad and Channa dal together.
Soak rajmah seperately with soda .

Next day remove water of soaking from dals and Rajmah add fresh 5 cups of fresh water.
Pressure cook both the dals and Rajmah after adding 1 tbsp ghee and salt.
Make paste of ginger,garlic and soaked dry red chillies .
If you love less spicy dal, add half of the ginger-garlic paste

Keep the other half paste aside.
After the first whistle, reduce flame and further cook for 45 minutes. Remove from fire.
when cold, mash the hot dals roughly. Set aside .

In a kadahi, heat ghee. Add tomatoes .Fry till ghee leaves sides.
Fry till it thickens to a thick paste.

Add the other half of ginger-garlic paste, garam masala and coriander powder.
Fry till raw smell of garlic leaves. It should take about three minutes at the most.

Add this mixture to the boiled dal. Add Makkhan (Butter) Don't use salted butter.
Simmer on low flame for half an hour. Mash dals roughly and stir constantly to give
silken consistency. Add homogenised malai and Milk now. Mix well .I do not like off the shelf cream.
Now set the flame on most minimum and cover the Patela/Kadhai and let it simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
This process will give silk smooth dal makhani. Remove from fire. Serve hot.
Tandoori Roti or Naan are best accompaniments.
You may ask me why I call this Dal as Lahori, the answer is, My grand mother is from Lahore
And she is of the opinion that Lahoris prepare better dals and chicken.
She would prefer to cook it on slow fire for the whole night. She hates pressure cookers.

I prefer to add freshly ground roasted Jeera powder. It gives a fine aroma with ghee.
Add jeera powder if you want ten minutes before final heating of dal before serving.

pammi

Pammi Randhawa
5th May 2005, 05:23 PM
Jus one question.

How u guys got the avtar ?

g's mom
5th May 2005, 05:58 PM
hey Pammi

Tried panch ratni dal.... its an awesome recipe...

Question:
Do I use whole moong /whole urad / whole masur or do I use the dal? I used moong dhal, masoor dhal and whole urad.....

g's mom
5th May 2005, 06:01 PM
what is homogenized malai?

Nichiro
5th May 2005, 06:02 PM
Hello Pammi,

welcome back...(Not that you had left us ).
First thing..

You had taken a dig at my long recipes. But I think this rtecipe of your's is equally loooooong. :lol:

Just kidding.
I know special dishes need special care.

Will be back after cooking evening meals.

tomato
6th May 2005, 08:55 AM
Jus one question.

How u guys got the avtar ?

Simple. Just go to ur profile and scroll down. U will see 'avatar control panel' . follow the instructions there. U can choose a avatar from the 'gallery' or upload ur own.

tomato
6th May 2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Pammi,

You wrote

(How many of you know that cluster beans is fed mainly to buffalows in Punjab?)

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Anyway whats this all about?

Thanx for the info on 'Dal makhani'. Chef Sanjeev Kapoor too had mentioned that the dal for dal makhani is actually put in a large pot with lots of butter and the pot is put on the 'tandoor ' at night ( in restraunts) . So the slow cooking is what gives it the silken texture which cannot be duplicated at home using pressure cooker.
Anyway i don't have a tandoor installed in my kitchen so i'll try 'your' recipe.
Also u have mentioned fresh malai. This is not available to me so I will have to compromise on whipping cream :( .
But I'll surely try out your recipe and post feedback.
Pls post some veggie recipe next.

Pammi Randhawa
6th May 2005, 10:10 AM
hey Pammi

Tried panch ratni dal.... its an awesome recipe...

Question:
Do I use whole moong /whole urad / whole masur or do I use the dal? I used moong dhal, masoor dhal and whole urad.....

Hi g's mom,
Gee thanx for the feedback for Panch Ratna Dal.
U need to use only dals (Split beans) and not whole lentils.
There is a sabat/sabut dal recipe which I'll post in days to come.

Homogenised Malai means whip fresh malai and milk. In absence of that u can use cream.

Pammi Randhawa
6th May 2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Tomato,

Thanx for ur instruction abt Avtar thing. I'll go and visit that and come back today with my own Avtar.

Yes, What Sanjiv Kapoor says is correct.
But Sanjiv kapoor also shud look for recipes that are posted by people which are outright comic. (In his website in guest column)
Some lady has posted "Dal Makhani using only Masoor dal. :lol:

Sabzi will follow the punjabi Masala powder recipe.
Try this in the meanwhile dear.

Ya....abt the cluster beans, I dunno what it is called in Madras but in Hindi we refer to it as..GAWAR FALI.

Pammi Randhawa
6th May 2005, 10:28 AM
Hello Pammi,

welcome back...(Not that you had left us ).
First thing..

You had taken a dig at my long recipes. But I think this rtecipe of your's is equally loooooong. :lol:

Hi Mr. Nichiro,

YOU COOK FOR YOUR FAMILY??? Amazing.
You do it some times or regularly ?

Aw...sorry I took a pot shot at length of your recipes.
I wus jus joking.
You know my Thai counterpart says they have recipes that run in three four pages.
wow !!. And they guard family recipes like their treasure.

Pl overlook my digs and teach me your recipes.
Thanx .

Nichiro
6th May 2005, 11:19 AM
Hello Pammi,

No problem. Me too was kidding. LOL

On my visits to Thailand, I too came to know of such treasured recipes. Even chinese have elaborate recipes
like Thai people.
I will post recipes you may want and learn in process of cooking.
Very intersting recipe you wrote about Lahori dal.
Going to try it out tomorrow.

Pammi Randhawa
7th May 2005, 10:29 AM
Hi Mr. Nichiro,

Just happened to be at the office today.
Thought I'll say helloooo.
Ya, Lahori dal would be different from usual Dal Makhanis you have had so far.
Will wait for the feedback from you.

Shanthy
7th May 2005, 12:35 PM
Der Bhargavi

This is a great link with very unusual recipes. Many thanks for sharing the recipes. Could you please send me your recipe collection? My email is ranjan@homemail.com.au

Thank you

Regards
Shanthy

Shanthy
7th May 2005, 12:45 PM
Dear Pammi
I am sorry that I have addressed you as Bhargavi. Please ingnore the posting.
Thanks
Shanthy

Nichiro
9th May 2005, 07:01 PM
Hello Pammi,
May be for the first time , I have got "THAT" typical Punjab taste in "Dal Makhani" prepared as per your recipe and guidence.
Only thing I added on my own was green chillies and a bit more of
both Garlic and Ginger.
In absence of Punjabi Masala powder, I concoted my own version using Tea masala and other Garam masala . The result was about 75 percent of Punjabi masala.

I have tried many times in past to get the real taste but I had failed.

Thanks . I am looking forward to more from you.

Pammi Randhawa
13th May 2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Mr. Nichiro,
I'm sorry I wus stuck with our US associates in Delhi. Just came back today .

I'm happy that u got that taste of Punjab u were happy with.
Lahori Dal never fails to satisfy people.
I"m surprised about your mix-match to make Punjabi Masala.
Yes I'd post the Punjabi Garam Masala recipe today. If possible now.

pammi

Pammi Randhawa
13th May 2005, 10:57 AM
Hi frens,

I"m posting the typical Punjabi Garam Masala Recipe.
This is generally used in our dishes which needs addition of Garam Masala.

PUNJABI GARAM MASALA

Ingredients

Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- 1/2 cup
Black Cumin Seeds (Shah Jeera)- 1tsp
Coriander Seeds(Dhania) - 1tsp
Cloves (Laung)- 8 to 10 nos
Cinnamon (Dalchini)- 2" stick
Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)- 5 to 6 nos
Ginger Powder(Saunth Powder) - 1 tsp
Mace -(Javantri) 1/4 tsp gms
Nutmegs (Jaiphal)- 1/4 powdered
Cardamom (Elaichi)- 1 tsp
Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)- 2 tsp
Fennel seeds (Saunf) - 1tsp

FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS

First clean all the ingredients and then sun dry them.
We do not generally roast the ingredients before powdering.
Break Dry ginger in small pieces, powder nutmeg and make small pieces of Bey leaves before
you powder . Using asian kitchen grinder (Mixi) powder the ingredients.
Please do not make coarse powder.
Sieve and fill up in a glass jar.

Use whereever Punjabi Garam Masala is needed.

g's mom
16th May 2005, 04:51 PM
tried dal makhni....
needless to say... it was awesome... every body including me 2 year old enjoyed it.... :) thanks for the recipe.... I am hoping to try it out in a slow cooker soon... will let you know the results when I try....

Keep the recipes coming :)

take care
g's mom

apujittu
18th May 2005, 12:49 AM
Hi Pammi,
Tried your pancha ratna dal...it turned out very tasty ! Thank You!. Had used exact measurement,even MDH masala & amchur.This Dhal is very simple & great taste too!
In the hints you have mentioned that we can try with 1 or 2 or any combination. My doubt, is there a main ingredient(dal) which should be used always? or I can use any combination eg:moong & Urad and follow the same procedure!
I am really interested in more Dhal varieties(full of proteins) which can be used for Rice & Chappathi.

napolims445
18th May 2005, 01:48 AM
Pammi,
can u please post the ingredients measurements in cups also...apart from weight.
If u could make these changes in all ur posted recipes also it would be very helpful.

Thank You

Pammi Randhawa
27th May 2005, 04:07 PM
Hi g's mom,

Glad u got great result.
Mke use of more recipes which will follow soon.
pammi

Pammi Randhawa
27th May 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi appujitu,
pancharatan is a very good recipe. Must thank my old lady 4 dt.
Ya u can use combo of 2 or 3 dals with basically same recipe.
But remember, use Arahar (Tuver) atleast as one combo.
pammi

Hi napolims445,
I think if u surf the net u get what u are askin4.
If u hv problems lemme know.
pammi

ash_970
3rd June 2005, 09:43 PM
Hello Pammi,
Just thought of saying hello...How are you ...by any chance you live in UK
Cheerrss!!!!!!

Seethab
5th June 2005, 01:56 AM
Hello Pammi;

I tried the Dal Makhani recipe. It turned out really good. Thanks. Looking forward to more recipes from ya.

Seetha

SlurpSlurp
11th June 2005, 10:59 PM
Pammi Pammi ..Pleassse Plss!!! :roll: Iam desperately looking for help in parathas .. it would be a great help if u can suggest me how exactly to make mooli paratha , i tried a few times , even after squeezing out the water from grated mooli i cant roll parathas as water keeps oozing out & it turns into utter mess !!! :cry: do u cook the mooli , is it mixed with the dough itself or it should be stuffed ?can u give me step by step guidance in this :?: pls..thanks so much..
slurp slurp

Pammi Randhawa
14th June 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Guys,
Sorry,am away in sweltering heat of north India burning my backside ... :lol:
Sorry frens,I wud join de party soon.
Ok, Muli ke paranthe, don't use any water for dough. Jus use mooli . My mom shallow fries moolis and then uses for stuffin.

Thanks for the feedback for dals.

pammi.

SlurpSlurp
17th June 2005, 04:41 AM
Hey Pammi ! :clap:

THanks so much , i guess i should have been smart enough to figure that out . I was all the time trying to stuff the uncooked mooli & it was a real mess ! :x I'm sure it will work out now. i'm all too excited to prepare them :smile2: thank you , i'll enjoy my parathas.
slurrrrp... slurrrrrp