PDA

View Full Version : NO~ONION NO~GARLIC recipes

rajsand
29th April 2005, 02:54 AM
Hello to all.

I have been following all the wonderful recipes floated in various threads. All of them are great cooks and very kind to share good things with everyone.
:arrow: Here in this thread I wish people could pour in some good recipes for cooking on special occassions.
It so happens that when there is an auspicious day, our taste buds ask for something special and tasty !! Some people fast probably every week (fridays) or some people go for
No-Onion , No-Garlic kind of diet.
It will be helpful for me and lot of others if we share some good
'No-Onion, No-Garlic' recipes too!!

For a start I am sharing a very simple recipe for such occassions.

STUFFED CAPSICUM

Serves : 4
Ingredients:-

For Potato Stuffing :
Potatoes - 3 Medium sized
Ajwain / Omum seeds - 1 tsp
Methi leaves - 1 Bunch (approx. 2 cups)
Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Green chillies - 2
Dhania Jeera Powder - 1 Tbsp
Turmeric pd - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice - 2 tsps
Water - 1 tbsp
salt to taste

For Capsicum :
Capsicum - 3-4 medium sized
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli pd - 1 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Dhania Jeera pd - 1 tsp
salt

Method :-
--Boil potatoes, cool and mash well. Wash and cut methi leaves.
--Heat oil in a kadai, add Jeera, ajwain, methi leaves. Let it cook for 2 mins.
--Add green chillies, chilli powder, dhania jeera pd, garam masala, salt, mashed potatoes. Add just 1 tbsp water. Cover and cook til spices blend. Switch off and let it cool. Add lemon juice.
--Cut Capsicum into long 4 halves (lengthwise) or even 2 halves as per choice.
--Stuff potato filling into this.
--Heat little oil in a kadai and add jeera, red chilli pd, salt, dhania jeera pd, turmeric pd.
--Drop capsicums with the green side under and potato side on top. Cover and cook for 3 mins. Open and cook for 2 mins and when capsicum is done turn side.
-Cook till it turns a little brown.

Sprinkle coriander leaves. Serve hot for rice/ chappati.

Alternatively : Can bake in oven at 350 deg F for 20 mins each side.

Thankyou and enjoy!!

Please help me with more recipes as I am falling short of them..

rajsand

gv
29th April 2005, 03:32 AM
Great thread Rajsan!
Keep up the good work
Hope others will contribute to this too.
GV

sarithasai5
29th April 2005, 04:16 AM
hi !
Good start :)

Surya
29th April 2005, 08:37 AM
Is it possible to make Bhelpuri and Paani puri without onion. Would it taste good?

rajsand
29th April 2005, 07:05 PM
Hello Friends

Thankyou gv and sarithasai. We need more people to contribute to this thread, will be helpful.

Hello Surya.
Sure you can make Bhel puri and Pani Puri without onion and garlic.

Regarding Bhel Puri :-
make 3 kinds of chutneys :
Sweet Chutney : with Jaggery, Tamarind , Dates & chaat masala
Green Chutney : with Green chillies, Coriander , salt & lemon juice
Red Chutney : lots of red chillies, dhania (coriander seeds), Jeera (cumin seeds) & salt

While making bhel have tomato, potato, Moong sprouts( boiled a little), sev , Mamra and chutneys. Moon sprouts will give the crunchy feeling that onion would give.
Try it , will be good though the taste will not be the same ..

Regarding Pani Puri : Sure you can make this too without onion and garlic. You never have onion and garlic in this recipe.

Let me share another good recipe I tried over the weekend
This is a staple diet for people in Maharastra during their fasting days!

SABUDANA KICHIDI (JEVVARASI UPMA)

Serves : 4
Ingredients : -

Sabudana (Jevvarasi) - 2 big cups
Peanuts - 1/2 cup
Potatoes - 2 Boiled and cut into cubes
Jeera - 2 tsp
Green chillies - 6
Oil/Ghee - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1tsp
Grated coconut for garnish - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt - 2 tsp

Method :-
--Soak sabudana overnight (or 8 hrs) with just enough water [be careful not to add more than the level of sabudhana]
--Just touch the sabudana and see if it is soft.
--Roast peanuts and when cool grind to a powder
--Add salt and peanut powder to sabudana and mix well with your hand [ be careful not to mash the sabudanas, mix well with very little pressure]
--Heat kadai, add oil. Add jeera and when it leaves the smell add green chillies.
--Cut boiled potatoes when it is cold else it will get soggy and mess up the whole thing. I prefer to keep the potatoes in fridge while I am doing all this and cut it when required.
--Add the potatoes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the potatoes.
Keep on a high flame for 5 mins and let the potatoes brown a little.
--When done reduce flame and add the sabudana.
--Stir well , cover and cook for 5 mins.
--If it is too hard.. add 1 tblsp water
--Now add 1 tsp sugar and keep stirring until they turn transparent ( will take a few mins). Dont leave it on the flame, sabudana with stick to the kadai very fast.

When done swtich off and add coriander leaves and fresh coconut.
Sabudana is good for health and so is peanut (Fibre).

Thankyou and Enjoy.

Mini
29th April 2005, 08:06 PM
hi,
this is a wonderful thread. i'm in need of a lot of these no onion no garlic recipes too.
herez how i make capsicum curry.

Ingrdients
capsicum 500 gms
salt, chilli powder to taste
gram flour (besan) 3TSP
oil for seasoning
mustard, urad dhal, hing (perungayam) for seasoning

Method
1. cut capsicum into small cubes and cover cook with some salt in the microwave till done. (this will reduce oil consumption)
2. meanwhile, add oil in a pan allow mustard seeds to splutter and then add urad dhal and hing then add capsicums.
3. wen capsicum is almost done, add chilli powder and gram flour. the more the gram flour u add, the more the oil it will consume, and the more tastier it will b.
4. keep frying till the raw smell of gram flour is gone.
5. it goes well with chappathi and also with rice.

Note : make sure u only add chilli powder for all curries at the end so that the absorption of oil by the powder can b minimised.

Mini
29th April 2005, 08:10 PM
hi,
instead of potatoes, u can also use soaked moong dal, just boil until soft and use it. it will taste too good

Mini
29th April 2005, 08:12 PM
u can make a lot of kootus with no onion and garlic. i'll post the recipes soon.
bye

sarithasai5
29th April 2005, 08:13 PM
Hi everybody!

Shall write the recipe for simple Carrot Curry

CARROT CURRY

Carrot 2 Big
Green Peas 1 cup
Green Chillies 3 or 4(chopped small)
oil 1 or 2 Tbsp
Hing a pinch
Mustard seeds 1Tsp
Jeera 1/2TSp
Turmeric powder 1/2 Tsp
Urad Daal 1tsp
Curry leaves 4 to 5 leaves(if available)

dry coconut powder
or grated 2 Tbsp or little more
Salt

Procedure:
Cut the carrot into small pieces as much as possible and keep aside.

To oil, add mustard seeds,Jeera,urad dal,hing,turmeric powder,
green chillies,curry leaves ,saute it for a min or 2 and add green peas, saute for 2min , add the carrot and mix once and sufficient quantity of water for the carrot to cook.After it is cooked,add required qty of salt.That is all.This curry looks colorful too . :)

Hope u all wld like it.
Njoy :)

[/b]

sarithasai5
29th April 2005, 08:15 PM
Sorry Continued procedure of carrot curry
Add the dry Coconut powder at the end just before switching off the gas and mix it. :)

sarithasai5
29th April 2005, 08:17 PM
Hello again!

U can just cook the Carrots diced in a microwave too .

sarithasai5
29th April 2005, 08:20 PM
hello everybody!

As the Carrot curry , U can can replace the vegetable with Capsicum too and Peas wld be Optional. :)

rajsand
29th April 2005, 08:33 PM
Thankyou Mini and Thankyou Sarithasai for your wonderful recipes.
Great going. I am going to try a few more today and will post them soon.

South Indian ofcourse you can make lot of things without onion and garlic and I am sure our great chefs have covered the same ..
Anyways, no harm in getting a different version ! Keep writing~~

Thankyou

Mini
29th April 2005, 10:06 PM
hi,
herez a recipe for keerai kootu
u can either use frozen ones or fresh ones.

Ingredients
keerai (greens) 200gms
salt as per taste
green chillies depending on taste
coconut fresh grated one hand full
jeera 3TSP
Seasoning
oil 2 tsp
mustard, urad dhal

Method:
1. boil keerai (if u use fresh ones ) with very little water and salt. keerai takes very little salt relative to all other veggies, so b careful
2. grind coconut, jeera and green chillies into a paste.
3. after the greens is fully done, add the paste and let it simmer for just a few minutes (say 3 min at the max). take it off the hot stove after it just starts to boil, otherwise, u'll get a medicinal smell coz of the jeera.
4. heat oil in a pan, allow mustard to splutter and then add urad dhal and pour it in.

this goes well with chapathis and also with rice, in conjuction with a thogayal.

regs,
mini

Mini
29th April 2005, 10:46 PM
hi,
this is the recipe for tomato rice i learnt from my sister in law. it turns out to b gr8

ingredients
basmathi rice 2 cups
water 3 3/4 cups
tomatoes 3 large
jeera 3tsp
cinnamon 1 inch piece
bay leaves 2nos
elachi powder 1tsp
cloves 4 nos
butter or ghee 2Tsp
oil 2Tsp
mustard for seasoning
chilli powder, salt as per taste

method
1. add butter to a pan and let it become hot.
2. fry jeera, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, elachi powder well
3. soak rice for 10 mins, add the masalas and boil rice
4. meanwhile, in a hot pan add some oil, allow mustard seeds to splutter and then add chopped tomatoes, salt and chilli powder and allow it to cook well.
5. after the rice is fully cooked, add the mixture to it and enjoy the food with the good aroma.

try and give me a feedback

kavithasenthil
29th April 2005, 10:52 PM
Lots of variety Rice can be made without onion and garlic.

rajsand
29th April 2005, 10:58 PM
Thankyou Mini and Kavithasenthil. Maybe you can also add your rice recipes here

Will post Ragada Pattice recipe next!!

svasu_ani
30th April 2005, 02:40 AM
SABUDANA KICHIDI

Thankyou and Enjoy.

Sabudana kichdi is my favorite tiffin, lastly had it 6 mths back when had been to pune...Thanks for the recipe... will try it and let you know...

Anitha

Surya
30th April 2005, 07:18 AM
:clap: :clap: Thanks for the delicious recipies!! :D :D

sarithasai5
3rd May 2005, 12:41 AM
Cabbage Curry:

Ingredients:

Cabbage 1/2
Ginger
Green Chillies 4 to 5
Curry leaves
Coconut (Dry powder or grated fresh)
salt, Oil
hing
Ural Dal
Turmeric(optional)

Procedure:

1.Either Grate or Chop the cabbage very finely.

2. Grind Ginger and green chillies together(1 or 2 Tbsp according to how spicy one wants).

3.In a panor Kadai, to the Oil, add Mustard seeds,urad dal, hing, curryleaves, and the Ginger,green chillies paste.Saute them for a min or 2 .Ginger,chillies paste shld not get brown.

Then add the grated or finely chopped Cabbage to it .Close the Pan or kadai with a plate so that the cabbage is cooked with the steam itself.
Add salt and later the coconut grated or powder to the curry.

4. This curry goes well with Chapathis, rice.

Try out and do let me know if possible.
Hope u all wld like. :)

rsankar
5th May 2005, 03:10 AM
Hello,

This recipe is simple and easy to prepare. I con't remember where I get this recipe.

1. Potato and Pudhina fry

Ingredients:

Baby potato - 1/2 kg
Pudhina leaves - one hand full
chilli powder - 1 tea spoon to 1 1/2 tea spoon
jeera - 1 tea spoon
freshly made jeera powder - 1/2 to 1 tea spoon
oil - 3 to 4 tbsps
salt to taste

Method :
Clean the baby potatos.(if you want the potato skin, don't peel it.)
Clean pudhina leaves.
In a kadai, pour oil add jeera and potatos and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
Add chilli powder, salt and cover with lid. Let it simmer for some minutes.
When this baby potatos are 3/4 cooked, then add pudhina leaves, and cook them for some minutes.
When the potatos are cook well, add freshly made jeera powder.

Enjoy!

rsankar
5th May 2005, 02:37 PM
Hello,

you can prepare karunai kizhanghu fry, vaazhaikkaai fry(banana varuval) and mango sweet pachadi without onion and garlic.

Sowmya
5th May 2005, 06:56 PM
Hi everybody
Just came across this link which has "no onion no garlic" recipes..
Hope you find this useful..
http://www.ndtvcooks.com/recipes/nonglist.asp

Meanwhile please continue posting your recipes too.I love this section

Regards
Sowmya

napolims445
5th May 2005, 07:40 PM
A lot of south indian recipes are no onion no garlic recipes. I know karnataka, andhra, kerala, maharashtra and of course north indian cooking well. Among this i know karnataka has a lot of these no onion no garlic recipes compared to any of these.
I can say my mom used to use onion garlic may be once a week or so...kerala(in laws) uses either onion or garlic or both in most of their recipes and same with andhra(granny house) and maharashtra(influence from my dads side) has onion in majority recipes and garlic in some) No idea about tamil nadu cooking though.
no offence to anybody..these are just what i have seen..

Minni
5th May 2005, 09:42 PM
napolims445,

Telugu/andhra vegetarian cuisine is almost devoid of tomato(a relatively new veggie as per previous generations) and mostly devoid of onion and garlic. When I visit my grandparent's remote village where people still follow such strict deitary regimen.
I do not know relatively how big the cuisine is in comparison to karnataka's, but my limited conversations with aging grandmother gave me the impression that every vegetable can be cooked without the aid of onion/garlic/tomato. And people for centuries lived on such a diet. So it should be vast.
I shall post authentic vegetarian andhra recipes devoid onion and garlic.

Thanks,
Minni

napolims445
5th May 2005, 10:57 PM
i'm talking only about vegetarian food here....
I know that every dish can be prepared without onion garlic. But imagine chole or pav bhaji or gutti vankayi without onion /garlic..it would just not be tasty at all without those though u can cook them without onion and garlic.
in karnataka recipes..literally we do not use onion/ garlic for most of the daily cooking recipes and this has been like this for generations and not that someone started to omit them and then that got followed. Its just their way of cooking. i can say the percentages are like 90-95% recipes with no onion/garlic. but i do not have any idea about the coastal karnataka's day to day cooking. coconut is for sure in their dishes.The andhra cooking i have been having are like 60% with onion/garlic and 40% without them..

Same with kerala, maharashtra and north indian dishes...u can omit onion/garlic but they will never taste the same and may be they are supposed to be cooked that way for their taste.

NO OFFENCE TO ANYBODY..

rajsand
6th May 2005, 08:07 AM
Hey .. maybe we can get to know some authentic recipes without onion and garlic.
This is what we need.. the best of recipes from across the country..and moreover pavbhaji and bhel etc. would not taste as good as it would with onion/garlic but its not targeted at the not-so-good recipes..
We are here to share the tried and best recipes ..

I will punch in something good soon.

Thankyou Minni, napolims ..

rajsand
6th May 2005, 07:06 PM
I tried this one a few days back.

RAGADA PATTICE

Serves : 2
INGREDIENTS

[*make tamarind and green chutneys as for bhel puri]

FOR RAGADA :

Dry green peas (vatana) - 3 cups
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch
Clove - 3
Turmeric pd - 1/2 tsp
Dhania-Jeera pd - 2 tbsp
Red Chilli pd - 3 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Brown Suagr - 1 tsp
lemon - 1tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Dhania leaves
Shredded cabbage
chat masala
Salt

FOR PATTICE :
Potatoes - 4 medium sized
Tofu - 1/2 cup
Bread - 2-3
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Salt

METHOD :
For Pattice :
Boil Potatoes and peel skin. Mash well when hot and keep in the fridge for a 15 mins. Now add all the ingredients except bread. If tofu is very wet, dry it out in a paper towel for sometime and then crumble and add it to this.
Wet the bread a little and add it to potato mixture. Mash well and add bread until the mixture reaches a consistency when you can mould into koftas. Make koftas and shallow fry each side and brown it .

For Ragada:
Soak peas overnight with lots of water. (can even sprout if for 3 days)
In a pressure cooker, add oil, cinnamon, clove, dhania-jeera pd, red chilli pd, haldi, Garam Masala, salt, Peas. Mix well and pressure cook for 20mins after the first whistle on medium heat .
See if the peas has cooked well, it should be soft enough to be mashed with a small finger. Add sugar and lemon juice.

Place 2 koftas in a plate and top it with peas mixture.
Take 1 tsp each of tamarind chutney and green chutney and spread on top. Garnish with shredded cabbage, sprinkle pinch of chat masala and dhania.
Have it hot!!

Hope its good, I liked it even without onion and garlic.

Thankyou

Minni
13th May 2005, 11:00 PM
napolims445,

I am talking about andhra traditional vegetarian cusine. As Kalidasu-Bhavabhuti kadha says...I am "padaharu anala teluginti aadapaduchu" - translates to-- I am an authentic andhrite family born and brought up daughter, reasonably well versed with customs, tradition and cuisine.

I am not sure how you make your gutti vankaya...but the traditional cooking that I know and make... does not involve any onion or garlic. I can vouch for this as I know many other vegetarian families other than mine.
Chole and Pav bhaji are not of andhrite origin to compare them to andhra's vegetarian cuisine.
Okay, in my previous posting you seem to have got an impression that the vegetarians omit onion and garlic...but thats not the case..the cuisine by itself does not involve using onion and garlic in its mainstream cooking..just the way you described about karnataka. And the recipes taste just the way they are supposed to! Oh man! I am surprised not many are familiar with andhra's cuisine. Its a shame on me if I do not share my knowledge in this field and help archive some of it.

I can post couple different varieties of the recipe here. But I now feel a new thread on Andhra cuisine is more appropriate to post.

I know you don't intend to offend. We are all here to share our knowledge and heritage on this wide platform...so you do not need to mention it!

Minni

BKJIGNA
14th May 2005, 12:23 AM
Hi Friends

Three and half years back i changed my diet from non-veg to no onion no garlic veg diet. When I decided to do that i was not sure how am i going to cook but with experience and some trial and error today i can make all dishes. Only trick which I learnt is take any recipe and remove onion garlic and add ginger instead....

The dishes i used to cook with onion garlic tasted better to me without it, i felt onion garlic loses the original taste of vegetable..

I know south indian food has got a big variety of dishes which are cooked without onion garlic and it will great if our friends can share there recipes with us ..i am looking for these recipes .. if anybody wants to know more about my experience u r most welcome to ask..

love to all
j

rsankar
16th May 2005, 03:15 AM
Hello everyone,
This is from ammas.com, try it and let me know.

Veg. (without onion-garlic)

Vegetable Malai Curry

Basic information:
Preparation time ([days] hrs:min): 00:00
Cooking time ([days] hrs:min): 00:30
Number of servings: 2

List of ingredients:
Qty Measure Ingredient Wt.(gms)

Vegetables
2 medium potato
1 cup beans ( coarsely chopped )
1 tomato
10 pieces baby carrots
4 pieces radish
Spices
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 pinch coriander powder
1/2 tsp. white cumin powder
1 tsp. ginger paste
Seasoning
1/2 tsp. panchforan ( panchpuran )
2 pieces dry red chili
Others
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt
1 tbsp. ghee
1/4 cup chopped coriander ( cilantro ) leaves

Cooking procedure:

Peel off potatoes and make medium size cubes. Peel off Tomato and chop finely.

Cut carrots and radishes into halves.

Stir the cream well and mix all the powders with it. Keep aside.

Heat ghee. Add dry red chili, broken into pieces and panchforan. Let them crackle.

Add potatoes. Fry on medium-high heat until they strat to get red. Add all other vegetables, except tomato.

Fry well for at least 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add Tomato.

Fry until the tomato mixes well and the water it leaves, is soaked.

Add Ginger paste and and cream - mix. Fry for 2 minutes on high flame, stirring constantly.

Add 2 large glasses of water, salt and chopped coriander leaves. Cover cook until aroma comes out.

Once the vegetables are boiled, remove the lid.

Cook on medium-high flame until the gravy becomes thick.

Storage tips: Serve hot.

Any additional information: Goes well with rice, roti, puri etc.

Coriander lvs. can be replaced with 1tsp. of garam masala.

rajsand
16th May 2005, 06:51 PM
Hello shankar
Thats a lovely recipe. Thanx so much

Sowmya
20th May 2005, 06:02 PM
Hi all
Found this recipe interesting and confirmed to our standards...No onion No garlic.I don't remember the source of this recipe though.. sorry

BREAD KOFTAS IN PUMPKIN CURRY

Mouth-melting bread koftas in delicious pumpkin curry.

Cooking Time : 30 minutes.
Preparation Time : 25 minutes.

Serves 4.

For the koftas

5 to 6 bread slices
1/2 teacup fresh curds
3 level tablespoons plain flour (maida)
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
4 green chillies, chopped
2 pinches soda-bi-carb
salt to taste
oil for deep frying

For the pumpkin curry

250 grams white pumpkin (lauki)
2 large tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 tablespoon coriander-cumin seed (dhana-jeera) powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teacup fresh curds
1/2 teacup boiled green peas
1 teacup boiled and fried small potatoes
3 tablespoons ghee
salt to taste

For the koftas

1. Remove the crust from the bread slices.

2. Soak the bread in the curds for 20 minutes.

3. Add the flour, coriander, chillies, soda bi-carb and salt and mix thoroughly.

4. Divide and shape into balls.

5. Deep fry in oil.

For the pumpkin curry

1. Peel the pumpkin and cut into big pieces.

2. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and cook. When cooked, blend in a liquidiser.

3. Put the tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes. Grate into a puree.

4. Heat the ghee and fry the cumin seeds until they crackle.

5. Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and fry for a few seconds.

6. Add the curds, pumpkin mixture, tomato puree and 1/2 teacup of water and cook for a few minutes.

7. Add the green peas, potatoes and salt.

How to serve

1. When ready to serve, add the koftas to the curry and give one boil.

regards
Sowmya

rsankar
21st May 2005, 04:14 AM
Hello friends,

Here is the link for No onion No garlic recipes.

http://www.ndtvcooks.com/recipes/nonglist.asp

Regards.
rsankar.

Sowmya
24th May 2005, 04:22 PM
Hi
My search for paneer makhani without onions and garlic showed this recipe..Tried it and liked it.
So I wanted to share the same with you all...

Paneer Makhani
ingredients
250 gms paneer 1/2 inch thick triangular pieces
3 tbsp ghee or 41/2 tbsp oil
7 - 8 medium tomatoes chopped
1/2 piece ginger chopped
1 tej patta (bay leaf)
2 moti illaichi (brown cardamom) skinned and crushed
1 tsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp approx salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp garam masala (mixed spices)
5 tbsp - 75 gm well beaten malai (cream)

Directions:
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Add tomatoes, ginger, tej patta, moti illaichi, kasoori methi and chilli powder.
2. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, till the tomatoes are pulpy. Cool.
3. Grind the tomatoes to a puree in the mixer.
4. Pass the puree through a fine sieve.
5. Keep the strained puree on fire. Add salt, garam masala and sugar to reduce the sourness. You may add more sugar if required.
6. Add 4 tbsp of cream. Remove from fire.
7. Add paneer pieces about 1 hour before serving.

rajsand
24th May 2005, 08:40 PM
Nice recipe Sowmya

This is Tarla dalal's recipe
-----------------------------------------------------------
MASALA RICE WITH STUFFED VEGETABLES
An unusual rice dish with vegetables.
Cooking Time : 40 minutes. Preparation Time : 20 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.

Ingredients
1 1/2 teacups uncooked rice
5 brinjals
5 small potatoes
5 to 6 small tendlis (optional)
1 teacup boiled green peas
5 tablespoons oil
salt to taste

To be mixed together into a masala mixture
1/2 grated coconut
4 teaspoons coriander-cumin seed (dhana-jira) powder
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 teacups chopped coriander
a pinch asafoetida
salt to taste

Method
1. Boil the rice. Each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. Drain and cool.
2. Make 4 vertical slits in the brinjals, potatoes and tendlis and stuff with the masala mixture. A little mixture will be left over.
3. Heat the oil, add the stuffed vegetables and salt and very little water. Pressure cook or cover and cook until soft.
4. Mix the cooked rice, remaining masala mixture, green peas and salt. Add the cooked vegetables and mix well.
5. Serve hot with kadhi.

-----------------------------------------------------------

rajsand
24th May 2005, 09:08 PM
This is usually made with garlic, but you can avoid it as it has lot of other flavors too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
UNDHIYO

My mother makes it a little different from the normal Undhiyo.
Usually muthias are dropped in the Undhiyo gravy, but I generally dont make muthias as they are time consuming.

Serves - 2
INGREDIENTS :
Fresh Methi Leaves - 1 bunch (washed and cut)
Ajwain (Omum) - 2 tsp
Brinjals - 3 small
Raw Banana - 1/2
Surti (Avvaraikai) - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Dhania Jeera pd - 1 tsp
Jaggery - 2 tsp

Gring to a paste
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Greenchillies - 4-5
Ginger - smal piece

Method :
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add ajwain seeds. Immediately add the cut methi leaves.
2. Cut vegetables into big pieces.
3. Stir for a minute and add the ground paste. Stir few secs and expect a good arome. If needed add more garlic (as per choice)
Then add brinjal, surti, raw banana.
4. Add salt, garam masala, dhania jeera pd.
5. Cover and pressure cook till one whistle.
6. When done , add Jaggery and dont mix rigourously as the vegetable will tend to get soggy.
And steamed Undhiyo is ready!!
Have hot with Rice or Chappatis. Goes well with rice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thankyou bye