PDA

View Full Version : quotes

Pages : [1] 2

apotheatheist
14th November 2004, 11:05 PM
Karl Marx, German political philosopher and economist (1818-1883).

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

apotheatheist
14th November 2004, 11:10 PM
Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist (1835-1910).

"Man is a marvelous curiosity ... he thinks he is the Creator's pet ... he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to
him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea." [Letters from the Earth]

geno
15th November 2004, 01:15 AM
George Bernard Shaw, Irish-born English playwright

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

geno
15th November 2004, 01:28 AM
Periyar - freedom fighter, rationalist, social reformer (1879-1973)

"I will not subject you to a restraint, in the manner of scriptures and ancient works - by stating that you should trust what I say, that my words are Apocalyptic; and that if you do not believe me, you will become atheists and go to Hell.

If what I say is not agreeable to your instinct, knowledge, experience and inquiry, reject it."

nirosha sen
15th November 2004, 08:56 AM
Geno - That alone would have made the masses agree to disagree, agreeably :lol:

Nothing like a master wordsmith to keep us hanging on to their every word, no matter how absurd. However, for a non-conformist to dogma, I agree with every word that Mark Twain said.

geno
17th November 2004, 01:12 AM
Geno - That alone would have made the masses agree to disagree, agreeably

Well! thats the most unique thing about Periyar! And if we consider his strong influence in the thamizh society we can understand why that is so too!

This is where "Dogma" and "Humane philosophies" differ and part ways - telling us which way to go!

It's altogether a different issue that each of us choose a particular way!

:)

blahblah
17th November 2004, 11:25 AM
Uhm!Nice thread!Just read my signature line.I am sure some of you could have seen it before. 8)

geno
22nd November 2004, 03:07 AM
Uhm!Nice thread!Just read my signature line.I am sure some of you could have seen it before. 8)

Hi blah2!

Well! Is it some kinda subtle criticism about the quotes that have been given? :)

I don think there would be any friction in giving quotes. Please give some quotes that you have liked and admired :)

geno
9th December 2004, 02:28 AM
" Few if any seemed to have grasped the truest principle of reality: new knowledge leads to yet more awesome mysteries. Greater physiological knowledge of the brain makes the existence of the soul less possible yet more probable by the nature of the search.

Do you see? Of course you don't. You've reached the limits of your ability to comprehend. But nevermind - that's beside the point. "

Stephen King, best-selling author and novelist, in "The Gunslinger"

aravindhan
11th December 2004, 04:07 AM
ராமலிங்க சுவாமிகள்:

பெற்ற தாய் தனை மகன் மறந்தாலும்
பிள்ளையை பெறும் தாய் மறந்தாலும்
உற்ற தேகத்தை உயிர் மறந்தாலும்
உயிரை மேவிய உடல் மறந்தாலும்
கற்றன்ன சகம் கலை மறந்தாலும்
கண்கள் இன்றிமைப்பது மறந்தாலும்
நற்றவர் தொடருள் இருந்தெங்கும்
நமச்சிவாயத்தை நான் மறவேனே

(The quotes here seemed a mite biased...)

a.ratchasi
13th December 2004, 09:05 AM
I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want.
If that makes me a bitch, okay.
Madonna Ciccone

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albright

What is most beautiful in virile men is something feminine; what is most beautiful in feminine women is something masculine.
Susan Sontag

geno
13th December 2004, 07:22 PM
"A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything"

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Sandeep
13th December 2004, 08:22 PM
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

I think this is veryrelevent in this hub.

Bad Boy
13th December 2004, 09:09 PM
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Hey, hey Sandeep!

What do you mean by that? My thoughts are already making enormous use of its freedom of being in disarray. So I think you don't mean me, or? :lol:

NOV
14th December 2004, 07:32 PM
"We spend money we don't have, on things we don't need, to impress people we don't like!"

- Marcy Stone

Sandeep
14th December 2004, 08:36 PM

Hey, hey Sandeep!

What do you mean by that? My thoughts are already making enormous use of its freedom of being in disarray. So I think you don't mean me, or? :lol:

Not you ofcource :)

If you consider your words not as much in 'disarray' as your thoughts then, oh boy, thank god I cant read your mind !!! :shock:

Bad Boy
17th December 2004, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it is always easier for me to understand me. :cool:

Santa Claus - Ho! Ho! Ho!

Querida
18th December 2004, 10:06 PM
Yeah, it is always easier for me to understand me. :cool:

I think im going to use your quote Bad Boy....what should i credit you as...a wise philosopher? :D

Sandeep
20th December 2004, 10:58 PM
"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."

- Sigmund Freud

Bad Boy
21st December 2004, 03:04 PM
"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."

- Sigmund Freud

Siegmund must have been meaning women by talking of complexes.
Otherwise he would have said " A woman should not ..."

geno
22nd December 2004, 01:17 AM
>> Siegmund must have been meaning women by talking of complexes.
Otherwise he would have said " A woman should not ..." >>

LOL @ BB!!

You mean "complexes" or "complexity" BB?!! ;) :lol:

swt_candy
22nd December 2004, 08:07 AM
hi

Bad Boy
22nd December 2004, 11:15 PM
>> Siegmund must have been meaning women by talking of complexes.
Otherwise he would have said \" A woman should not ...\" >>

LOL @ BB!!

You mean \"complexes\" or \"complexity\" BB?!! ;) :lol:
Both mean here almost the same. Complexes lead to complicated complexities. If we assume we men have complexes because of the complexity of the women then I can suggest that the women are complex and complexities are the women. We men are only cursed by our complexes, complexities meaning women. Isn\'t it so? I know I am right.

I checked for complex and complexities and my gosh it is very complicated. It depends on your mood how to understand that. Very complex and causing complexities.

Bad Boy
22nd December 2004, 11:17 PM
hi
hi too :lol:

a.ratchasi
27th January 2005, 01:46 PM
"True friends stab you in the front."
Winston Churchill

"The basic difference between an ordinary person and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary person takes everything as a blessing or a curse."
Carlos Castaneda

pavalamani pragasam
30th January 2005, 09:43 PM
The reason grandparents and grandchildrenget along well is that they have a common enemy.

hehehewalrus
31st January 2005, 02:08 AM
Never read health books. You might die of a misprint.
-Mark Twain

nirosha sen
31st January 2005, 05:59 AM
Strength and Bustle builds a Firm,
But it's Judgement and Knowledge that keeps it Established
By Thomas Hardy in the Mayor of Casterbridge

Shekhar
31st January 2005, 09:45 AM
To accept things as they come and to let go of them as they depart, is to have mastered the art of liviing without misery.

Shekhar
31st January 2005, 09:48 AM
Here is a nice one from Bernard Shaw..

"The business of a soldier is not to die for the country but to live and fight"

a.ratchasi
31st January 2005, 09:54 AM

Wow!

Roshan
31st January 2005, 10:02 AM
To accept things as they come and to let go of them as they depart, is to have mastered the art of liviing without misery.

Great one!! :thumbsup:

Wow Superb!! :thumbsup:

scorpio
31st January 2005, 05:15 PM
Not sure if this is apt here but anyways...

" Easy vs. Difficult"

Easy is to get a place is someone's address book.
Difficult is to get a place in someone's heart.

Easy is to judge the mistakes of others.
Difficult is to recognize our own mistakes.

Easy is to talk without thinking.
Difficult is to refrain the tongue

Easy is to hurt someone who loves us.
Difficult is to heal the wound...

Easy is to forgive others.
Difficult is to ask for forgiveness.

Easy is to set rules.
Difficult is to follow them...

Easy is to dream every night.
Difficult is to fight for a dream...

Easy is to show victory.
Difficult is to assume defeat with dignity...

Easy is to admire a full moon.
Difficult to see the other side...

Easy is to stumble with a stone.
Difficult is to get up...

Easy is to enjoy life every day.
Difficult to give its real value...

Easy is to pray every night.
Difficult is to find God in small things...

Easy is to promise something to someone.
Difficult is to fulfill that promise...

Easy is to criticize others.
Difficult is to improve oneself...

Easy is to make mistakes.
Difficult is to learn from them...

Easy is to weep for a lost love.
Difficult is to take care of it so not to lose it.

Easy is to think about improving.
Difficult is to stop thinking it and put it into action..

Easy is to think bad of others.
Difficult is to give them the benefit of the doubt...

Easy is to receive.
Difficult is to give.

Easy is keep the friendship with words.
Difficult is to keep it with meanings.

The language of friendship is not words,
but meanings....
Easy to read this.
Difficult to follow.

Shekhar
31st January 2005, 06:08 PM

Great one!! :thumbsup:

Thanx Roshan,
I arrived at this thought after I watched the movie Pretty Woman. When manager of the hotel receives the diamond necklace from Richard Gere to be given to Julia Roberts, he says " It is so painful to let go of a thing so beautiful".

Shekhar
31st January 2005, 06:16 PM
Just an extension of what Scorpio said..

The three most difficult things in life to achieve are

Silence, listening and thinking.

If you cannot be silent, you cannot listen. If you cannot listen you cannot think.

We always listen to what we want to hear.

Bad Boy
31st January 2005, 09:18 PM
The one who laughs a lot is risking to loose his teeth- BB

Bad Boy
31st January 2005, 09:19 PM

Wow!

to live and KILL! not fight

pavalamani pragasam
1st February 2005, 01:08 PM
To find an ideal wife, look for an ideal husband.

‘Tis knowing useful things, not many things, that makes one wise.

Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.

Querida
2nd February 2005, 07:54 AM
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist - Verbal in The Usual Suspects

Shekhar
3rd February 2005, 05:18 PM
Here is a wonderful one from Karen Berry, which is on my table and I read every morning before I start my work.

We cannot change the past,
We just need to keep the good memories and acquire wisdom from the mistakes we've made.
We cannot predict the future,
We just need to hope and pray for the best and what is right and believe that's how it will be.
We can live a day at a time, enjoying the present and always seeking to become a more loving and better person.

Roshan
3rd February 2005, 05:33 PM
Shekhar,

That reminds me of a quote which I happen to listen every day in the morning in an FM radio programme.

Think today for a better tomorrow - after all, today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Shekhar
4th February 2005, 07:24 AM
"I don't want to follow a path,,
I want to walk where there are no footsteps and leave a trail"

Shekhar
5th February 2005, 10:26 AM
"Age is an issue of mind over matter,
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter" - Mark Twain :D :D

Shekhar
7th February 2005, 05:11 PM
There are only three things to be done with a woman. You can love her, suffer for her, or turn her into literature.

scorpio
8th February 2005, 10:34 AM
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.

- Groucho Marx

Roshan
8th February 2005, 10:37 AM
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.

- Groucho Marx

Good one !! That's what I exactly do when the television is switched on to watch a serial :lol:

blahblah
8th February 2005, 10:37 AM
I saw this behind a match box: "Anyone who thinks that he is too small to make a difference has never been in bed with a mosquito". :D

scorpio
8th February 2005, 10:42 AM
Blahblah,

Can very much relate to yr post living in chennai :(

"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Surya
8th February 2005, 10:49 AM
I saw this behind a match box: "Anyone who thinks that he is too small to make a difference has never been in bed with a mosquito". :D
:lol: Good one blah blah!! :lol2:

Shekhar
8th February 2005, 06:28 PM

- Groucho Marx

That's a nice one Scorpio...

scorpio
9th February 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Shekhar :)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Bad Boy
11th February 2005, 04:21 PM
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
I can only second it. :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
14th February 2005, 07:45 AM
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller.
Do you love me because I am beautiful, or am I beautiful because you love me? - Cinderalla

Shekhar
17th February 2005, 04:10 PM
"Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive."

Roshan
17th February 2005, 04:16 PM
Shekhar,

Does this have any hidden meaning? :wink: The current situation here in the hub makes me think so :lol:

NM
17th February 2005, 04:20 PM
Shekhar,

Does this have any hidden meaning? :wink: The current situation here in the hub makes me think so :lol:
Exactly what I thought too, Roshan!! :wink: :wink:

NM
17th February 2005, 05:50 PM
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi

"India conquered and dominated China for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border" - Hu Shih, former ambassador of China to USA

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which, no worthwhile scientific discoveries could have been made" Albert Einstein.. :wink:

pavalamani pragasam
20th February 2005, 06:14 PM
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.
Tact is the art of saying nothing when there is nothing to say.
Tact is the ability to tell only that part of the truth that does not hurt.
Civility costs nothing, but buys everything.
The world makes way for a man who knows where he is going.
You cannot keep trouble from coming, but you need not give it a chair to sit on.
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg not by smashing it.
Keep your fears to yourself but share your courage.
Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.
To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition.

davie
20th February 2005, 09:39 PM
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. If you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Young men think old men are fools, but old men know young men are fools.

People can be divided into three classes, the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen, and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened :lol:

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.

Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man. - Napoleon Bonaparte

People worry for almost everything. Very few realize that life is not for worrying. Care for two important things in life. Health and Daily Food -- david

a.ratchasi
21st February 2005, 06:55 AM
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. If you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Truth hurts, doesnt it?

pavalamani pragasam
21st February 2005, 07:38 AM
I assure you that a learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant fool.
An admission of ignorance is the first step of learning.
A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell.
The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them.
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need but not every man’s greed.
It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves for more that is poor.
There are more important things in life than money. They do not cost money.
The man who always tells the truth is both fearless and friendless.

NM
21st February 2005, 07:43 AM
Mrs PP...
Love yr posts....very meaningful!! Pls post more.. :wink:

NM
21st February 2005, 07:44 AM
People can be divided into three classes, the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen, and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened :lol:
Davie...this is true , isn't it??:lol: :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
21st February 2005, 03:47 PM
A major cause of human tragedy lies in the fact that when we have a good ecuse for giving up the fight we commonly take it for granted that the excuse is meant to be used… In almost all outstanding lives one finds grand excuses for quitting –Milton’s blindness, Beethoven’s deafness, Pasteur’s paralysis, Robert Louis Stevenson’s tuberculosis, Thackeray, his adored wife insane, saying, “What funny things I have written when fit to hang myself”. Demosthenes, the stammerer became an orator. Reading biography, one is tempted to conclude that everything most worthwhile in human life has started with someone who had the courage to throw away a good excuse.

It is by doing the hard things that we gain in character, personality and flexibility, and avoid becoming those forlorn people for whom others feel sorry.

No man and woman really know what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.

Shekhar
23rd February 2005, 03:56 PM
I've learned that, regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.

I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you. But, if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others, your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.

I’ve learned that children’s eyes observe more than there ears ever hear and the example we set for them determines their actions.

I’ve learned that make a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life”.

I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.

People love that human touch -- holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

I’ve learned that people will forget what you said ...people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I’ve learned that life is about people and making a positive difference.

I’ve learned that you should take care of yourself and those you love - Today and Everyday!

I’ve learned I still have a lot to learn

scorpio
3rd March 2005, 10:35 AM
Facts do not cease to be just because they are ignored - Aldous Huxley

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, others willing to let them - Robert Frost

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you've lost - George Shultz

Anyone who says he's not interested in money will lie about other things - Zig Ziglar

There was a time when Mrs. Einstein knew a lot more things than her son Albert. - Marguerite Kelly

scorpio
7th March 2005, 02:44 PM
If I can do it, you can do it too - Angelo Amico

You live only once, if you work it right, once is enough - Joe Lewis

The will to win is important; but the will to prepare is vital - Joe Paterno

If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch- Mathew 15:14

It's not what you tell your friends that counts, it's what they hear - Red Auerbach

a.ratchasi
8th March 2005, 07:33 AM
The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty.
The activist is the man who cleans up the river.
Ross Perot

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the formof every virtue at the testing point.
C.S.Lewis

A truth that is told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.
William Blake

tomato
8th March 2005, 08:08 AM
'Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get' - George Bernard Shaw.

scorpio
8th March 2005, 09:50 AM
'Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get' - George Bernard Shaw.

Wow!! Nice one!!

Badri
8th March 2005, 09:53 AM
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you! - Scorpio Akka :lol:

Roshan
8th March 2005, 10:19 AM

Reminds me of another nice quote;

"What you believe is not necessarily true and what you like is not necessarily good" (can't remember the Author)

a.ratchasi
10th March 2005, 07:52 AM
There is nothing so powerful as the truth, and nothing so strange.
Daniel Webster

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.
Warren Buffett

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. :cry:
Mark Twain

Nosferatu
11th March 2005, 11:40 AM
"What lies befor you and what lies behind you is nothing compared to what lies within you"
i think that is the motto of Alcoholics Anonymous

Nosferatu
11th March 2005, 11:41 AM
If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

General George S. Patton

Nosferatu
11th March 2005, 11:45 AM
this one is not really a quote.... but its something i like....

Thomas Alva Edison is supposed to have conducted over 2000 experiments to find the perfect material for a filament in the electric bulb, before he found out that tungsten was the best. later when he was asked about all the time and energy he had spent on the failed experiments, he remarked, "i dont consider those experiments as failures. i think of them as experiments in which i found out 2000 ways how not to light a bulb"

a.ratchasi
11th March 2005, 11:45 AM
If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

General George S. Patton

That's a good one, Nosferatu!

ramsri
12th March 2005, 11:01 PM
"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."
St. Augustine

"It is very easy to forgive people their mistakes. It takes a lot more grit and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own."

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."[/b]

ramsri
12th March 2005, 11:05 PM
"War does not determine who is right; war determines who is left! "

"When I was sixteen, I thought my parents knew nothing. When I was twenty-one, I was shocked to discover how much they had picked up in the last five years!"
Winston Churchill

"Losing one parent is unfortunate, losing both seems like carelessness!"
Oscar Wilde, in "The Importance of Being Ernest”

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no."
Ivern Ball

"People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first."
David H. Comins

NOV
14th March 2005, 07:27 AM
It is hard if we fail
But it is worse
never to have tried to succeed.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling
But in rising every time we fall.

He who asks
is a fool for five minutes
But he who does not ask;
remains a fool forever.

Marriage is the only war
where you sleep with your enemy.

Man's best possession is a sympathetic wife.

Have a heart that never hardens
Have a temper that never tires
Have a touch that never hurts !

tomato
14th March 2005, 08:32 AM
'Don't lose your temper, nobody wan'ts it.' - Unknown.

scorpio
15th March 2005, 01:15 PM
Some of my favourite quotes from Harry Potter novels:

To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself.

Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst
for them.

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Akash
15th March 2005, 02:49 PM
Presence of Mind :

A wealthy man decided to go on a safari in Africa. He took his faithful pet Dachshund dog along for company. One day, the dachshund starts chasing butterflies and before long the dachshund discovers that he is lost.

Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the obvious intention of having lunch. The dachshund thinks, "I'm in deep trouble now! Then he noticed some bones on the ground close by and immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat.

Just as the leopard is about to leap, the dachshund exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious leopard. I wonder if there are any more around here?"

Hearing this, the leopard halts his attack in mid-stride, as a look of terror comes over him, and slinks away into the trees. "Whew," says the leopard. "That was close. That dachshund ! nearly had me."

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So, off he goes. But the dachshund saw him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figured that something must be up.

The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard. The leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine."

Now the dachshund sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks "What am I going to do now?" But instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet... and just when they get close enough to hear, the dachshund says......................

"Where's that damn monkey? I sent him off half an hour ago to bring me another leopard."

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well................................

Akash
15th March 2005, 02:51 PM
A professor began his class by holding up a glass with some water in it. He held it up for all to see & asked the students,' How much do you think this glass weighs?'

'50gms!' .... '100gms!' ......'125gms' ......the students answered.

'I really don't know unless I weigh it,' said the professor, 'but, my
question is: What would happen if I held it up like this for a few
minutes?'

'Nothing' the students said.

'Ok what would happen if I held it up like this for an hour?' the professor asked.

'Your arm would begin to ache' said one of the students.

'You're right, now what would happen if I held it for a day?'

'Your arm could go numb, you might have severe muscle stress & paralysis & have to go to hospital for sure!' ventured another student & all the students laughed.

'Very good. But during all this, did the weight of the glass! change?' asked the professor.

'No'

'Then what caused the arm ache & the muscle stress?' The students were
puzzled.

'Put the glass down!' said one of the students.

'Exactly!' said the professor. 'Life's problems are something like this. Hold it for a few minutes in your head & they seem OK. Think of them for a long time & they begin to ache. Hold it even longer & they begin to paralyze you. You will not be able to do anything.

It's important to think of the challenges (problems) in your life, but EVEN MORE IMPORTANT to 'put them down' at the end of every day before you go to sleep. That way, you are not stressed, you wake up every day fresh & strong & can handle any issue, any challenge that comes your way!

scorpio
15th March 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi Akash paiyya,

Nice ones but wrong thread.. move to 'Interesting anecdotes' pls.

Akash
15th March 2005, 06:41 PM
EASY VS. DIFFICULT

Easy is to get a place in someone's address book.
Difficult is to get a place in someone's heart.

Easy is to judge the mistakes of others
Difficult is to recognize our own mistakes

Easy is to talk without thinking
Difficult is to refrain the tongue

Easy is to hurt someone who loves us.
Difficult is to heal the wound...

Easy is to forgive others
Difficult is to ask for forgiveness

Easy is to set rules.
Difficult is to follow them...

Easy is to dream every night.
Difficult is to fight for a dream...

Easy is to show victory.
Difficult is to assume defeat with dignity...

Easy is to admire a full moon.
Difficult it is to see the other side...

Easy is to stumble upon a stone.
Difficult it is to get up...

Easy is to enjoy life every day.
Difficult it is to give it real value...

Easy it is to pray every night.
Difficult it is to find God in small things...

Easy it is to promise something to someone.
Difficult it is to fulfill that promise...

Easy is to say we love.
Difficult it is to show it every day...

Easy it is to criticize others.
Difficult it is to improve oneself...

Easy it is to make mistakes.
Difficult it is to learn from them...

Easy it is to weep for a lost love.
Difficult it is to take care of it so not to lose it.

Easy it is to think about improving.
Difficult it is to stop thinking about it and put it into action...

Easy it is to think bad of others
Difficult it is to give them the benefit of the doubt...

Easy it is to receive
Difficult it is to give

Easy it is to read this
Difficult it is to follow

Easy it is to keep this friendship with words
Difficult it is to keep it with meaning

scorpio
18th March 2005, 02:29 PM
Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Good friends are like stars........You don't always see them, but you know they are always there.

People who never get carried away should be.
--Malcolm Forbes

scorpio
22nd March 2005, 11:17 AM
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams!

Find your 'why' before the 'why' finds you.

Keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole!

You'll never have anything until you discover what you want!

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 06:21 AM
Take a look at my signature :wink:

Akash
30th March 2005, 05:05 PM
Don't be afraid to admit when you know you are wrong.
It is not a sign of weakness,
but shows character and responsibility.
Others will respect you for that.

Always do the right things, even when everyone does as they please with no consideration for the feelings of others.

Never compromise your values and beliefs,
even if it means risking ridicule and rejection.
Be true to yourself.
Live your own life and don't allow others to decide what is best for you If you do, you will be unhappy because you're untrue to yourself.

Refuse to run away from the things that scare you.
Confront these situations and overcome your fears so that you may grow as a person.

Don't compare yourself to others.
You are unique special being and therefore you should express your individuality.

Happiness keeps u Sweet, Trials keep u Strong,
Sorrow keeps u Human , Failure Keeps u Humble,
Success keeps u Glowing,
But only God Keeps u Going

tomato
30th March 2005, 05:21 PM
It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Akash
31st March 2005, 11:15 AM
Life is like a taxi. The meter just keeps a-ticking whether you are getting somewhere or just standing still. -- Lou Erickso

Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us. -- Thomas L. Holdcroft

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. -- Winston Churchill

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. -- Gandhi

Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies. -- Ann Landers

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.-- Buddha

Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you plan to stop peddling.-- Claude Pepper

For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.-- Alfred D. Souza

In the book of life every page has two sides: we human beings fill the upper side with our plans, hopes and wishes, but providence writes on the other side, and what it ordains is seldom our goal. -- Nisami

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. -- Buddha

It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the game of life it's a good idea to have a few early losses, which relieves you of the pressure of trying to maintain an undefeated season. -- Bill Baughan

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. -- Anonymous

Expecting life to treat you well because you are a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.-- Shari R. Barr

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well. -- Josh Billings

A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up. -- Albert Schweitzer

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -- Anonymous

Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. -- Danny Kaye

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.-- Abraham Lincoln

Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. -- Albert Einstein

Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway. -- Steven Coallier

Life isn't worth living unless you're willing to take some big chances and go for broke.-- Eliot Wiggington

Being on the tightrope is living; everything else is waiting. -- Karl Wallenda

On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him. -- Buddha

In between goals is a thing called life, that has to be lived and enjoyed. -- Sid Caesar

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyways. -- Anonymous

scorpio
31st March 2005, 12:05 PM
Akash,

Nice ones!

" Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us" -dedicating this quote to my dear thambi JG.

Shekhar
1st April 2005, 10:03 AM
Akash,

Thanx for giving these gems. I would say this is one of the best in this thread.

a.ratchasi
1st April 2005, 01:03 PM
An act of love and kindness may not change the course of history;but if it changes the course of someone's life, it's worth it!

Deep_Secrets
1st April 2005, 02:01 PM
Maturity is...

Knowing myself.
Asking for help when I need it and acting on my own when I don't.
Admitting when I'm wrong and making amends.
Accepting love from others, even if I'm having a tough time loving myself.
Recognizing that I always have choices, and taking responsibility for the ones I make.
Seeing that life is a blessing.
Having an opinion without insisting that others share it.
Forgiving myself and others.
Recognizing my shortcomings and my strengths.
Having the courage to live one day at a time.
Acknowledging that my needs are my responsibility.
Caring for people without having to take care of them.
Accepting that I'll never be finished -- I'll always be a work-in-progress.

Deep_Secrets
1st April 2005, 02:03 PM
-Deleted-

Deep_Secrets
1st April 2005, 02:09 PM
How A Child Learns
If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility, she learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame, she learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement, she learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness, she learns justice.
If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval, she learns to like herself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, he learns to find love in the world.
(Dorothy Law Nolte)

Deep_Secrets
14th April 2005, 12:46 PM
Don't smother each other.
No one can grow in the shade.
-Leo Buscaglia

This is for those in action right now in the Roasting :mrgreen: ...

Surya
14th April 2005, 12:57 PM
"Men show their characters in nothing more clearly than in what they think laughable. " -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. :mrgreen:

Deep_Secrets
14th April 2005, 01:00 PM
"Men show their characters in nothing more clearly than in what they think laughable. " -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. :mrgreen:

So now you have taken the role of Shekhar :poke: ...Don't expect blowups from me, I am following his advice :P

Surya
14th April 2005, 01:01 PM
Here's one, considering that it's almost 1:00 am here in Cali, and I'm still in the office working from yesterday 9 in the morning, :x

"Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep." -Fran Lebowitz.

Surya
14th April 2005, 01:02 PM

So now you have taken the role of Shekhar :poke: ...Don't expect blowups from me, I am following his advice :P

Aww.....:( :lol2:

Deep_Secrets
14th April 2005, 01:07 PM
Here's one, considering that it's almost 1:00 am here in Cali, and I'm still in the office working from 9 this morning, :x

"Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep." -Fran Lebowitz.

The future depends on what we do in the present.
Mahatma Gandhi

Secure it! For them :wink: ...

Surya
1st May 2005, 02:03 AM
Nice one! 8)

Now this one, I heard in a movie yesterday.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power both decended forth from thy hand, so our feet may swiftly carry on thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be........

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. - Boondock Saints. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lordstanher
1st May 2005, 09:19 PM
Hi,
Herez one tat I very much find to be true....translated it from one of Amitabh B's dialogues in the 1975 movie 'Deewar':

"Dreams are like waves of the sea....when they hit against the rocks of reality, they shatter." :D

Surya
3rd May 2005, 05:26 AM
Nice! :D

Here's one that I remembered today.

"Freedom delayed is Freedom Denied!!" -Dr.Martin Luther King JR. 8) Great Man!

lordstanher
3rd May 2005, 07:45 AM
Nice! :D

Here's one that I remembered today.
"Freedom delayed is Freedom Denied!!" -Dr.Martin Luther King JR. 8) Great Man!

Hmm....I rem. reading abt a similar one tat says "Justice delayed is justice denied".....?

Neways, here's one tat I impressed me so much, I've added it as a signature to my emails since:

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but religiously follows the new!" - Henry David Thoreau

now I liked this 'cos it helped me overcome the embarassment I would feel from ppl. who make fun of me or give me strange looks just bcos I always wear '70s outfits & even sport a '70s hairstyle (yes, really! y else did I choose this kind of avatar here! :wink: )
and so ever since I read this quote, I haven't been ashamed to stick to this 'weirdness' and even admit it openly here! :D

pavalamani pragasam
3rd May 2005, 02:50 PM
[tscii:b8fdce85fb]“Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”[/tscii:b8fdce85fb]

lordstanher
3rd May 2005, 06:38 PM
Hello PP ma'm, how r u?

Neways, here's a very significant one tat my late father told me, originally quoted by Rajaji (C. Rajagopalachari):

"Never spoil a good cause with a bad argument!"

arsenicblue
3rd May 2005, 06:54 PM
and these are a couple of my favourites..

luck is when hardwork meets oppurtunity....

tomorrow is the day which you created yesterday..

will post more when my brain works :roll:

rajasaranam
3rd May 2005, 07:27 PM
will post more when my brain works :roll:

That was very nice Quote :)

pavalamani pragasam
3rd May 2005, 08:05 PM
Fine. Thanx, lordstanher!

P_R
7th May 2005, 11:44 AM
"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but religiously follows the new!" - Henry David Thoreau Somewhat one similar lines is this quote that haunts me:

It is the fate of the rebels to found new orthodoxies - Bertrand Russell

lordstanher
12th May 2005, 05:43 PM
Another one I like:
"Ambition is a dream powered by a V-8 engine!" :wink: -Elvis Presley

Anoushka
12th May 2005, 09:44 PM
I hope they don't raise the standard of living any higher, I can't afford it now.

:)

NM
13th May 2005, 07:17 AM
Quotes by Albert Einstein..

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

nirosha sen
13th May 2005, 02:11 PM
An all time favourite from my school days :

NEVER SAY DIE, UP MAN TRY!!

Helped me overcome so many of my almost uncountable miseries in life!! Even when I got married and had to do a lot of my own running around before that, I would repeat it like a mantra, Pa!! :roll:

Anoushka
16th May 2005, 06:26 PM
In the end we can never be given knowledge by others; we can only be stimulated. We must develop our own knowledge.
- Charles T. Tart

NOV
17th May 2005, 07:04 AM
"We kill at every step, not only in wars, riots, and executions. We kill when we close our eyes to poverty, suffering, and shame. In the same way all disrespect for life, all hard-heartedness, all indifference, all contempt is nothing else than killing. With just a little witty skepticism we can kill a good deal of the future in a young person. Life is waiting everywhere, the future is flowering everywhere, but we only see a small part of it and step on much of it with our feet."

: - Hermann Hesse, German poet and novelist.

NOV
17th May 2005, 07:06 AM
"One of the world's greatest problems is the impossibilty of any person searching for the truth on any subject when they believe they already have it."

--Dave Wilbur

Badri
17th May 2005, 07:10 AM
"It is not about doing the right thing, it is about knowing what the right thing is, because when you know that, it is difficult to not do it"

P_R
17th May 2005, 12:26 PM
"It is not about doing the right thing, it is about knowing what the right thing is, because when you know that, it is difficult to not do it" Disagree with this. And I quote mark Twain in support:
I do not claim that I can tell a story as it ought to be told. I only claim to know how a story ought to be told

Badri
17th May 2005, 12:30 PM
Well, PR..without going into the nitpicking, hairsplitting mode, one can only look at the right thing within one frame of reference. If we decide to bring in multiple frames of references and also invoke the theory of relativity, then of course, there is no one right thing to be done; there are just endless possibilities.

P_R
17th May 2005, 12:47 PM
Well, PR..without going into the nitpicking, hairsplitting mode, one can only look at the right thing within one frame of reference. If we decide to bring in multiple frames of references and also invoke the theory of relativity, then of course, there is no one right thing to be done; there are just endless possibilities. Anne vitrunga theriyaama pannittaen :notworthy:
I Recall this calvin exam
Exam qn: "What is the significance of Lake Erie ?"
Calvin's ans: In the cosmic sense, probably nil
We big picture guys never make good historians :)

Badri
17th May 2005, 12:55 PM
Exam qn: "What is the significance of Lake Erie ?"
Calvin's ans: In the cosmic sense, probably nil
We big picture guys never make good historians :)

Freakin hilarious!! :rotfl:

Anoushka
17th May 2005, 02:24 PM
Eat and drink with your relatives; do business with strangers.
-- Greek Proverb

And Then There's...

Business? It's quite simple. It's other people's money.
-- Alexandre Dumas the Younger

sanjay
17th May 2005, 02:34 PM
The World is full of fools & every fool finds a greater fool to admire him.

There are 2 kinds of fools - One who gives advice & the other who does not take it.

Learning makes a wise wiser, a fool more foolish.

A fool at 40 is a fool forever.

To err is human, to forgive infrequent,
To err is human, to blame it on the other guy is even more human.
To err is human, to get caught stupid.

sanjay
17th May 2005, 02:36 PM
A House is built by bricks, a home is built by hearts.

The World is full of guided missiles, but misguided men.

More people are run down by gossip than by autos.

To know that U know what U know that U do not know what U do not know - That is knowledge - Thayer.

scorpio
17th May 2005, 02:51 PM
" The World is full of guided missiles, but misguided men. "

How true! :lol: :wink:

Querida
18th May 2005, 01:24 AM
There are many of us in this old world of ours who hold that things break
about even for all of us. I have observed, for example, that we all get
about the same amount of ice. The rich get it in the summer and the poor
get it in the winter.
-- Bat Masterson

NOV
18th May 2005, 06:33 AM
"If a woman wants to drive, never stand in her way."

scorpio
18th May 2005, 10:37 AM
"If a woman wants to drive, never stand in her way."

Ah! Misguided man! :wink: :wink:

tomato
18th May 2005, 11:55 AM
Always kiss your children goodnight - even if they're already asleep. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Your children need your presence more than your presents. ~Jesse Jackson

Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. ~Robert Fulghum

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. ~Lane Olinghouse

If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. ~C.G. Jung

Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. ~Roger Lewin

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children. ~Charles R. Swindoll, The Strong Family

What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. ~P.D. James

If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others. ~Haim Ginott

A parent who has never apologized to his children is a monster. If he's always apologizing, his children are monsters. ~Mignon McLaughlin

The hardest part of raising a child is teaching them to ride bicycles. A shaky child on a bicycle for the first time needs both support and freedom. The realization that this is what the child will always need can hit hard. ~Sloan Wilson

You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. ~Polish Proverb

If you must hold yourself up to your children as an object lesson, hold yourself up as a warning and not as an example. ~George Bernard Shaw

What's done to children, they will do to society. ~Karl Menninger

NM
18th May 2005, 01:06 PM
Marriage quotes...

After marriage, husband and wife become two sides of a coin; they just can't face each other, but still they stay together.
-Hemant Joshi :lol:

To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the loving cup, Whenever you're wrong, admit it; Whenever you're right, shut up.
-Ogden Nash :wink:

Men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage - they have experienced pain and bought jewellery
-Rita Rudner :lol:

scorpio
18th May 2005, 01:47 PM
Marriage quotes...

After marriage, husband and wife become two sides of a coin; they just can't face each other, but still they stay together.
-Hemant Joshi :lol:

To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the loving cup, Whenever you're wrong, admit it; Whenever you're right, shut up.
-Ogden Nash :wink:

Men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage - they have experienced pain and bought jewellery
-Rita Rudner :lol:

:lol: :lol:
NM, For sure, JG will get nightmares!

One more marriage quote- You can have plenty of romance even after years of marriage. But the problem is, the wife is sure to object!

Again, I wouldn't disclose the inventor of this quote
:wink: :wink:

NOV
18th May 2005, 01:57 PM
Again, I wouldn't disclose the inventor of this quote :wink: :wink:
By any chance it could be Mr. Scorpio? :wink: :wink:

scorpio
18th May 2005, 02:00 PM
NOV,
Either you are a tubelight or you are posing as one :?

NOV
18th May 2005, 02:03 PM
aaah... women....

think harder my lady. :D

scorpio
18th May 2005, 02:07 PM
:lol: :lol: Good timing.. seems that, men are not misguided at all times!

As far as the inventor of the quote, just you wait for sometime till he shows up.

sanjay
18th May 2005, 02:18 PM
Women are wiser than men because they know less & understand more.

If U are in the right, argue like a man.
If U are in the wrong, argue like a woman.

He who has never offended anyone has never done anyone any good.

NM
18th May 2005, 02:25 PM
Scorpio,
That man must surely be a really misguided man!! He really has a lot of misguided principles and quotes :wink: :lol: :lol: He's missing today and yesterday too, I think.... :wink:

a.ratchasi
18th May 2005, 02:29 PM
Scorpio, either men are misguided or NOV!!
:rotfl:

scorpio
18th May 2005, 02:31 PM
Scorpio, either men are misguided or NOV!!

a.r.,

nammala adam-teasing-nnu arrest pannida poranga :wink: :lol:

a.ratchasi
18th May 2005, 02:47 PM
scorpio, appadi teasinge konjum downplay pannirellam... :lol: :wink:

NM
18th May 2005, 02:47 PM
Yaaru-ku anthe thairiyem irukku?? Ingge ellam blonk queens irukkaanggeley...na nana na na :poke: :poke:

Anoushka
18th May 2005, 07:59 PM
If you don't aspire to great things, you won't attain small things.
-- Jewish Proverb

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And Then There's...

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.
-- Gandhi

Roshan
18th May 2005, 08:09 PM
1. What we believe is not necessarily true and what we like is not necessarily good.

2. There is never a wrong time for the right thing

3. A man who does not think of himself does not think at all - Oscar Oild.

4. A rumour can travel half way around the world while the truth is tying its shoe laces.

5. It's great to be great but it's greater to be humane.

Querida
19th May 2005, 09:40 AM
:lol: here too you two...hmmm was there any inspiration to the marriage quotes? Tomato what reasonable quotes so very true :D

Akash
19th May 2005, 10:37 AM
Yaaru-ku anthe thairiyem irukku?? Ingge ellam blonk queens irukkaanggeley...na nana na na :poke: :poke:
Oh no, not again!! :banghead:

P_R
19th May 2005, 11:58 AM
3. A man who does not think of himself does not think at all - Oscar Oild. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance -Oscar Wilde

scorpio
19th May 2005, 03:08 PM
The biggest failure is God. Look at the world he has created - a complete mess!!! -Quote by _____ :wink: :wink:

Shekhar
19th May 2005, 04:38 PM
One more marriage quote- You can have plenty of romance even after years of marriage. But the problem is, the wife is sure to object!

Again, I wouldn't disclose the inventor of this quote

The biggest failure is God. Look at the world he has created - a complete mess!!! -Quote by _____ :wink: :wink:

Hey!! you want to drive me out of the hub or what, by digging my old quotes!!
For the first one, a couple of mighty ladies really ripped me apart in many threads that followed.
As for the second one the apostles of this hub will hound me. :D :P

scorpio
19th May 2005, 04:47 PM
Shekhar,

Your quotes are age-less, whether new or old!!! I thought I'd open a separate thread to discuss the pearls that came out of yr mouth..mmm.. now that you suspect my innocent admiration.. will stop here.. :lol:

NM
20th May 2005, 12:03 PM
Scorpio...for your new thread....

"If can't make a girl fall in love with me in quick time, why pursue and waste time? Better to go looking for someone else!"

"A married man doesn't need to wear anything to show he is married. The stamp of idiocy to have got married shows all over his face!!"

"And who said I am a women hater. I love them sooooo much. But I keep my eyes open not to be Ms guided!!"

Quoted by XXXXXXXXXXXXX :D :lol: :wink:

P_R
20th May 2005, 12:40 PM
Q: Sir, do you believe in clubs for women ?
Groucho Marx: Yes, but only when all other forms of persuation fail.

Anoushka
20th May 2005, 05:27 PM
PARENTING
Raising children is a creative endeavor, an art, rather than a science.
Bruno Bettelheim (1903-1990)
Psychologist

-----------------------------

Parents who are afraid to put their foot down usually have children who step on their toes.

Asian proverb

lordstanher
22nd May 2005, 02:01 PM
"He who dreams of riding a tiger ends up inside it." -Chinese proverb. :D

tomato
23rd May 2005, 07:15 AM

Moral of the story : Ride a donkey instead. :lol:
I came up with this influenced by a fellow hubber.

lordstanher
23rd May 2005, 09:22 AM

Actually I'd prefer to ride a bike, a classic one! :wink:

Shekhar
23rd May 2005, 09:54 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

scorpio
23rd May 2005, 10:25 AM

Looks like I'm having too much of a competition.. :shock: :wink: :lol:

scorpio
23rd May 2005, 02:06 PM
What a wife expects from her husband-

To be the smartest in front of everyone
To be an idiot in front of her.

For a change, this quote isn't from the hapless soul nursing his wounds.

Anoushka
23rd May 2005, 07:31 PM
Be the first to the field and the last to the couch.
-- Chinese Proverb

--------------------------------
And Then There's...

The only place where success comes before work is a dictionary.
-- Vidal Sassoon

P_R
23rd May 2005, 11:18 PM
If you don't succeed at first destroy all evidence that you tried
-anon

lordstanher
25th May 2005, 09:56 AM
Don't give a man a fish, teach him how to fish. - Chinese proverb again!

Badri
25th May 2005, 10:00 AM
The actual proverb, Lordstanher is

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

lordstanher
25th May 2005, 10:05 AM
Oops....tks for the correction, Badri! :D
Actually I was told this proverb in the way I quoted it by an uncle of mine long ago.....tat was how he said it to me! :D

Badri
25th May 2005, 10:10 AM
You're welcome, LS! Put this way, it makes more sense, doesnt it?

lordstanher
25th May 2005, 10:19 AM
Yes it certainly does!

Neways herez one I just rem'd:

O! It is excellent to have the strength of a giant but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant! - William Shakespeare

Anoushka
25th May 2005, 02:27 PM
KEEP ON
The trouble with fulfilling your ambitions is you think you will be transformed into some sort of archangel and you're not. You still have to wash your socks.
Louis de Bernieres
Writer

--------------------------------------------------

I think it's the end of progress if you stand still and think of what you've done in the past. I keep on.
Leslie Caron
Actor

nms
25th May 2005, 05:06 PM
Hi,
here are some quotes of Yogiraj Vethathiri Maharishi.
Pretty long post....juz copied n pasted from http://vethathiri.org

Habit is Destiny.

Man, society and nature all are interlinked with one another. Man cannot be separated from this.

God+Impurities (Sins) = Man; Man - Impurities = God.

Every man is due to the society because all are enjoying the benefits and prosperities of the society.

A proper spiritual approach for changing the behaviour of man and establishing World Peace is Karma Yoga.

A living being is a joint function of life force and physical body. The life energy in a living being is the bio-magnetism which gets physical transformation and maintain the metabolic routine of the body and psychic functions.

Short circuit in blood / heat / air circulation is felt as Pain.

Good thoughts, divine thoughts are even in the atmosphere, criss-crossing as waves: and when our mind become receptive, these thoughts are registered there.

Whatever an action may be, there is a result. And for every result there is an action or cause. This is the cause and effect system which never fails.

Karma Yoga superimposes good impressions against the impressions of sins.

To live in harmony, do not command, do not comment, do not demand.

Constant awareness, introspection and planned action these three would develop your intellect. Success then is certain in life.

An integrated practice of reorganising and restructuring the body and the mind for a newly planned life is Kundalini Yoga.

Using violence against violence carefully in inevitable circumstance is non-violence.

No one can take away from you what Providence has allotted for you.

The husband-wife relationship is divine; no other can equal it in its depth and intensity, because only in this relationship the union of souls occur.

Vegetarianism is the only way of life based on the observance of non-violence. Non-violence is a method of living without hurting, torturing or killing any living being for one's own enjoyment.

Blessings are safe and beneficial always. Blessings are more powerful and more divine than chanting mantras.

Do not comment on the activities of others, even if it be your life-partner or children. Guiding them is one thing, but criticizing them would have a negative effect.

When we reach Alpha, Theta and Delta frequencies, all the brain cells which were dormant and not used up to now, even though existed, begin to function.

When any force starts, it has to stop. The gap between the two, the start and the stop, is calculated as Time.

Unemployment and ignorance to earn his livelihood will make a Criminal.

When you do meditation, you get God consciousness and undisturbed peace in you. That will be added as a plus point to your material benefits also.

Giving up and giving up whatever is not wanted whether it is men, material, action or enjoyment is the method of purification and enlightenment.

Physical body, life force and mind, are inter-linked and inter-connected in the existence of Man.

Man has to understand the value of himself, the purpose of birth and has to develop his consciousness to fulfil the purpose.

Consciousness is the radical universal principle.

Feeler of the pain and pleasure is life force (soul).

Gnana Yoga (SKY) is the process of throwing light on the souls to guide them in reaching their goal quickly without unnecessary delay. This is possible by attaining the full understanding of Truth, Universe, Life and Knowledge.

The benefits of Nature are all over the Universe but the secrets of Nature are only within your own Mind. Go in and in to get more and more.

Desires of experiencing God through senses will never be successful. By developing your Consciousness you have to become God yourself.

The art of tolerating the needs, regulating the habits and making better use of the environments for the harmony of self and others is Morality.

When man realize himself, he realizes the value of everybody. So to respect the needs and ambitions of others and to restrict and moralize one's own activities become possible.

There is no problem in the Nature, only the problem is in the Mind.

The principal goals of introspection are examining yourself and finding out "What You are?"

The one and only valid test for a person's wisdom is the peace and harmony prevailing in his family.

The three main ways in which man wastes his energy are Greed, Anger and Worry.

Man's needs and achievements must be compatible to and in accordance with the purpose of his birth.

To speak or act in a manner which will wound the feelings of one's life-partner is really a curse that will leave an indelible on the human mind.

Revelation of the realities of Nature or enlightenment of Consciousness is not by any effort. Effort means conditioning.

Awareness is a higher stage of knowledge in its evolutionary progress towards wisdom.

Thought force is the first Phenomenon to be understood by the Truth Seekers.

We are not separate in the World; We are linked by the universal force which is called Universal Consciousness.

Girish11
27th May 2005, 03:41 AM
Always kiss your children goodnight - even if they're already asleep. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Your children need your presence more than your presents. ~Jesse Jackson

Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. ~Robert Fulghum

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. ~Lane Olinghouse

If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. ~C.G. Jung

Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. ~Roger Lewin

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children. ~Charles R. Swindoll, The Strong Family

What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. ~P.D. James

If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others. ~Haim Ginott

A parent who has never apologized to his children is a monster. If he's always apologizing, his children are monsters. ~Mignon McLaughlin

The hardest part of raising a child is teaching them to ride bicycles. A shaky child on a bicycle for the first time needs both support and freedom. The realization that this is what the child will always need can hit hard. ~Sloan Wilson

You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. ~Polish Proverb

If you must hold yourself up to your children as an object lesson, hold yourself up as a warning and not as an example. ~George Bernard Shaw

What's done to children, they will do to society. ~Karl Menninger

Those are some real nice quotes Tomato, thanks a lot.
I particularly liked these having a new born baby and thinking
about ideas on raising her. It will be great if I can have these
in my memory all the time. :)

Rgds.

Girish11
27th May 2005, 06:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

Good going. Very interesting.

Some more here.....

A life without cause is a life without effect - Barbarella

Compromise doesnot sastisfy, but dissatisfies everybody; it does not lead to any general fulfillment, but to general frustration; those
who try to become everything to all people end up by not being
anything to anyone. -
-Ayn Rand

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
charecter, give him power - Abraham Lincoln

As we gain knowledge, we donot become more certain, we become certain of more - Ayn Rand

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of your choice

In the constant confrontation between the rock and the water, the
water wins finally, not by strength, but by perseverance

Anoushka
30th May 2005, 02:06 PM
A man was hanged for saying what was true.
-- Italian Proverb

-------------------------
And Then There's...

In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it.
-- Boris Pasternak

Anoushka
31st May 2005, 07:24 PM
By asking for the impossible we obtain the possible.
-- Italian Proverb

-----------------------

And Then There's...

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
-- Arthur C. Clarke

Anoushka
1st June 2005, 03:46 PM
Do not cut down the tree that gives you shade.
-- Persian Proverb

Do not spit in the well - you may be thirsty by and by.
-- Russian Proverb

lordstanher
1st June 2005, 07:38 PM
Here r a few I found lately:

"At the end of the rat race, one is still a rat." -Source unknown

"The old eye-for-eye philosophy would leave everyone blind." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Those who have given themselves the most concern about the happiness of people have made their neighbours very miserable." -Anatole France.

"And I tell you that virtue does not come from money but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man." -Socrates

Anoushka
2nd June 2005, 04:12 PM
ENTHUSIASM
Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch.
Ivern Ball

The world belongs to the enthusiast who keeps cool.
William McFee (1881-1966)
Writer

NM
3rd June 2005, 06:04 AM
Woman, I hold, is the personification of self-sacrifice, but unfortunately today she does not realize what tremendous advantages she has over man
- Mahatma Gandhi..

rajraj
3rd June 2005, 06:55 AM
Marriage rings:

Engagement ring
Wedding ring
Suffering

Found in a key chain! :)

Badri
3rd June 2005, 08:21 AM
And here's one I saw which should hang over every employer's desk:

"If you pay peanuts, you'll only get monkeys!"

scorpio
3rd June 2005, 10:16 AM

Badri,
appo, - "If you eat peanuts, you'll become monkeys" -correct-aa?? :lol:

Badri
3rd June 2005, 10:27 AM

Badri,
appo, - "If you eat peanuts, you'll become monkeys" -correct-aa?? :lol:

Intha peanut chutney mela ennathaan Scorps ku avvalavu obsessionO!

Scorpio: Please do not contribute to digressions in this thread! :wink:

Anoushka
3rd June 2005, 03:46 PM
Injure others, injure yourself.
-- Chinese Proverb

Injuries may be forgiven, but not forgotten.
-- Aesop

Querida
4th June 2005, 10:01 AM
happily quoted from "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" Novel NOT Movie :roll: :

1. Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R Tolkien

2. Luck never gives: It only Lends - Chinese Proverb

3. Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday - Anon.

4. There is no such thing as fun for the whole family - Jerry Seinfeld

5. Love is like war: easy to begin, hard to end. - proverb

6. Rule #1 : The customer is always right.
Rule #2 : If the customer is wrong, please refer to Rule #1.
- Duncan Howe

7. When life hands you lemons, say, "oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" - Henry Rollins

8. I have seen the future and it's like the present only longer.
- Dan Quisenberry

9. Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
- Mark Knopfler

10. If you're feeling under control, you're just not going fast enough.
- Mario Andretti

11. If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully throughout the entire catalog - Sears Roebuck Catalog

12. Of the 36 ways to avoiding disaster, running away is best. - Anon.

13. You will make all kinds of mistakes: but as long as you are generous and true and also fierce you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her. - Winston Churchill

14. My Karma ran over my Dogma - Bumper Sticker

15. You can take a road that gets you to the stars. I can take a road that will see me through. - Nick Drake

16. What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

17. Is there world enough for me? - Jane Frances

18. In your eyes I am complete . - Peter Gabriel.

19. We will go. Nowhere we know. We don't have to talk at all. - Beck

20. Nothing is too wonderful to be true. - Michael Faraday

21. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes - Frieda Norris

22. Oh. Who can tell, save he whose heart hath tried. - Lord Byron

Surya
6th June 2005, 10:52 PM
Women Liberationists look away! :P Heard this on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and also read it in America: A Citizen's guide to Democracy. By Jon Stewart.

"Even though they would never admit it, women were a lot happier when all they did was bake things and pop out babies!" - Jon Stewart.

Citizen's guide to Democracy? Ironic, I know. :?

Anoushka
7th June 2005, 07:13 PM
KNOW THYSELF
Men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread.

Richard Wright
Native Son
Perennial

Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself.

Richard Bach
Writer

HindustaniLadka
8th June 2005, 12:27 AM
Here are some nice quotes about India:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/India

This is one of my favourite ones:

India was the motherland of our race, and Sanskrit the mother of Europe's languages: she was the mother of our philosophy; mother, through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics; mother, through the Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity; mother, through the village community, of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of us all. ~ Will Durant

lordstanher
8th June 2005, 11:34 AM
Herez one on India by Mark Twain:

"India has 2,000,000 gods, and worships them all. In religion other countries are paupers; India is the only millionaire." :wink:

j.chenkalvarayan
8th June 2005, 11:57 AM
being politically correct:

i happened to see this in one of the blogs:

A person isn't short, this person is altitudinally deprived/challenged; vertically challenged.

Neither is a person tall, he/she is vertically gifted or endowed

Old person is chronologically gifted; similarly young person isnt young but chronologically challenged/deprived

A fat person is merely gravitationally challenged

A person isnt lazy, it is becuse he/she is motivationally challenged

a person isn't crook, it is just an ethically challenged way of thinking

no one is stupid, he/she is differently brained

a person isn't ignorant, this person is factually unencumbered

a person isn't homeless or stray, he/she is residentially flexible

no one is clumsy, its just a unique coordination in actions

you dont call one dead, it is metabolicaly challenged

girl - pre-wommon (remember saying woMAN is derogatory and sexist)

no one is ugly, it is his/her looks that dont adhere to conventional beauty

misunderstanding - a personalized interpretation of information

one's socks are not stinky, they are "odour-retentive footware"

if someone doesnt arrive on time she/he isn't late, this person has a rescheduled arrival time

scorpio
8th June 2005, 12:12 PM
Nice ones J.C..enjoyed them :)

Anoushka
8th June 2005, 04:14 PM
One foe is too many and a hundred friends are too few.
-- Native American Proverb

Be a friend to thyself, and others will be so too.
-- Thomas Fuller

Anoushka
10th June 2005, 04:38 PM
The butterfly often forgets it was a caterpillar.
-- Swedish Proverb

It is a wise child that knows its own father.

Anoushka
10th June 2005, 04:41 PM
BRIGHTER DAYS
If I've learned anything in my 70 years it's that nothing's as good or as bad as it appears.

Bushrod H. Campbell

[M]ost things get better by themselves. Most things, in fact, are better by morning.

Lewis Thomas (1913-1993)
Physician and biologist

HindustaniLadka
13th June 2005, 09:03 AM
[tscii:f6f19ce34d]Col Greg Newbech, USAF Team Leader made the following remarks about India and the Indian Airforce: -

- What we’ve seen in the last two weeks is, the IAF can stand toe-to-toe with best AF in the world.

- I pity the pilot who has to face the IAF and chances the day to underestimate him; because he won’t be going home.

- Indian hospitality from everyone has been truly overwhelming.

- The greatest compliment we heard from an IAF pilot – You American pilots are just like us, simply down to earth people.

- We depart India with great respect for the Indian Air Force. Your pilots, maint and support crew are exceptional professionals.[/tscii:f6f19ce34d]

Anoushka
13th June 2005, 04:15 PM
It's easier to tear a hole than to mend one.
-- Russian Proverb

Any fine morning, a power saw can fell a tree that took a thousand years to grow.
-- Edwin Teale

NOV
17th June 2005, 06:43 AM
Important ZEN thoughts for the weekend

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead.
Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk beside me, either; just get out of the way and leave me alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a flat tire.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

4. Don't be irreplaceable; if you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

5. No one is listening until you make a mistake.

6. Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

7. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

8. It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

9. It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help.

10. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments

a.ratchasi
17th June 2005, 01:45 PM
Received the following Father's Day quotes via mail this morning:

The most important thing a father can do for his children is to
love their mother.

Henry Ward Beecher
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.

Anne Sexton

Fathers, like mothers, are not born. Men grow into fathers and
fathering is a very important stage in their development.

David Gottesman

Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.

Anonymous

A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again.

Enid Bagnold

I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a
father's protection.

Sigmond Freud

scorpio
17th June 2005, 02:49 PM
Nice ones a.r. :)

Anoushka
20th June 2005, 08:22 PM
Our children are not going to be just "our children"--they are going to be other people's husbands and wives and the parents of our grandchildren.

Mary S. Calderone (1904-1998)
Physician and educator

The best security blanket a child can have is parents who respect each other.

Jan Blaustone
Educator and writer

A kind word never broke anyone's mouth.
-- Irish Proverb

Soft words are hard arguments.
-- Thomas Fuller

A quarrel is like buttermilk, the more you stir it, the more sour it grows.
-- Bolivian Proverb

Words can't break bones, but they can break hearts.
-- Roadside Church Signs Across America

It's easier to tear a hole than to mend one.
-- Russian Proverb

Any fine morning, a power saw can fell a tree that took a thousand years to grow.
-- Edwin Teale

No matter how small and unimportant what we are doing may seem, if we do it well, it may soon become the step that will lead us to better things.

Channing Pollock (1880-1946)
Playwright and lyricist

Men may rise on stepping-stones of their dead selves to higher things.

Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892)
Poet

NM
21st June 2005, 09:19 AM
Soft words are hard arguments.

Thanks Anu, those were great!
This one reminds me of

" advise is like snow, the softer it falls, the deeper it sinks..."

j.chenkalvarayan
21st June 2005, 11:05 AM
[tscii:18f4734360]i don't know where to put this. decided this place will be appropriate.

got this from a mail from my friend:

Stanford Report, June 14, 2005

'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says*

This is the text of the Commencement address by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple
Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, delivered on June 12, 2005. *

I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the
finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be
told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I
want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just
three stories.

The first story is about connecting the dots.

I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed
around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?
It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed
college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so
everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his
wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that
they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.

And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that
was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.

It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor
in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5¢ deposits to buy food
with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one
good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I
stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be
priceless later on. Let me give you one example:

Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction
in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every
drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and
didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy
class to learn how to do this. I learned about serif and san serif
typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter
combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful,
historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I
found it fascinating.

None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But
ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all
came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first
computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single
course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or
proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, its
likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped
out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal
computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it
was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college.
But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them
looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect
in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life,
karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all
the difference in my life.

My second story is about love and loss.

I was lucky I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started
Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years
Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion
company with over 4000 employees. We had just released our finest creation -
the Macintosh - a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got
fired. How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew
we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me,
and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the
future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did,
our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly
out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was
devastating.

I really didn't know what to do for a few months. I felt that I had let the
previous generation of entrepreneurs down - that I had dropped the baton as
it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried
to apologize for screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and I
even thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began
to dawn on me – I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple had
not changed that one bit. I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And
so I decided to start over.

I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was
the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being
successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less
sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods
of my life.

During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company
named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my
wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature
film, *Toy Story*, and is now the most successful animation studio in the
world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT, I retuned to
Apple, and the technology we developed at NeXT is at the heart of Apple's
current renaissance. And Laurene and I have a wonderful family together.

I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from
Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it.
Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm
convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I
did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

My third story is about death.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of mylife, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever
encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost
everything all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy,
where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope its the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's
thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called *The Whole Earth Catalog *, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's, before
personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with
typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.

Stewart and his team put out several issues of *The Whole Earth Catalog *, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all very much.
[/tscii:18f4734360]

Anoushka
21st June 2005, 04:17 PM
PROVERBIAL WISDOM
A wound heals but bad words never fade.

Philippine proverb

Not all who turn their backs are running away.

Swedish proverb

Thanks NM :)

Anoushka
22nd June 2005, 03:58 PM
Art is the illusion of spontaneity.
-- Japanese Proverb

Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.
-- Pablo Picasso

Anoushka
30th June 2005, 07:07 PM
THINK ABOUT IT
The brain is like a muscle. When we think well, we feel good.

Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
Scientist

Horse sense is what keeps horses from betting on what people will do.

VISION

Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Frank Gaines

Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.

Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)
Satirist

LIFE

I think one of life's great milestones is when a person can look back and be almost as thankful for the setbacks as for the victories.

Bob Dole
Politician

Living involves tearing up one rough draft after another.

Author unknown

-----------------

Patience makes all hardships light.
-- Estonian Proverb

God gave everyone patience.
The wise use it.
-- Roadside Church Signs Across America

Anger of the mind is poison to the soul.
-- Ecuadorian Proverb

Anger is one of the sinners of the soul.
-- Thomas Fuller

If you kick a stone in anger, you'll hurt your own foot.
-- Korean Proverb

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

My turn today, yours tomorrow.
-- Latin Proverb

One good turn and you have most of the bedcovers.
-- Elaine C. Moore

Anoushka
1st July 2005, 03:56 PM
There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle.
-- English Proverb

Winter is on my head, but spring is in my heart.
-- Victor Hugo

lordstanher
4th July 2005, 08:38 AM
It is easier to exclude harmful passions than to rule them, and to deny them admittance than to control them after they have been admitted. - Seneca

a.ratchasi
4th July 2005, 09:12 AM
Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.

Cavin Coolidge

Don't spend time beating on a wall hoping to transform it into door.

Anon

Strong beliefs win strong men and then make them stronger.

Walter Begehot

Anoushka
4th July 2005, 03:44 PM
Beginning is easy - Continuing is hard.
-- Japanese Proverb

All things are difficult before they are easy.

pavalamani pragasam
16th July 2005, 11:11 AM
A water bearer in China had two large pots, each hung on the
ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots
had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always
delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the long walk
from the stream to the House, the cracked pot arrived only half
full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer
delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments,
perfect for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was
ashamed of it's own imperfection. And miserable that it was
able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it
spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. "I am ashamed
of myself, and I want to apologize to you. I have been able to
deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes
water to leak out all the way back to your house. Because of my
flaws, you have to do all of this work, and you don't get full
value from your efforts," the pot said.

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were
flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's
side? That's because I have always known about your flaw. So I
planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day
while we walk back, you've watered them. For two years I have
been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table.
Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this
beauty to grace the house?

Moral: Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked
pots. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our
lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You've just got
to take each person for what they are, and look for the good in
them. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out
of shape.

Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life.
Blessings to all my cracked pot friends.

Anoushka
20th July 2005, 04:38 PM
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF

Starting out to make money is the greatest mistake in life. Do what you feel you have a flair for doing, and if you are good enough at it, the money will come.

Greer Garson (1904-1996)
Actor

Everything depends upon circumstances: You must sail according to the wind.

Thomas Robert Bugeaud (1784-1849)
Statesman

JOY

People are constantly clamoring for the joy of life. As for me, I find the joy of life in the hard and cruel battle of life--to learn something is a joy to me.

August Strindberg (1849-1912)
Playwright

Paradise is here or nowhere: You must take your joy with you or you will never find it.

Orison Swett Marden (1850-1924)
Founder of Success magazine

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

I don't believe in failure. It is not failure if you enjoyed the process.

Oprah Winfrey
Entrepreneur

No experiment is ever a complete failure. It can always be used as a bad example.

Author unknown

DREAMS

The pursuit of our dreams is, at heart, an act of faith combined with a giant act of will. But when it pays off, the unexpected happens. The world shifts around you, unseen passages open, and in many ways, the rules of reality--at least the rules that have defined your reality--change.

Bahram Akradi
Founder of Life Time Fitness

If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.

Maya Angelou
Poet and writer

VALUE

My world is made meaningful not by what I can evaluate and define, but by what I can appreciate and adore. I find there is a profound difference in what I find interesting and what I find important.

Ann E. Hossler
Organist

Through faith, man experiences the meaning of the world; through action, he is to give it a meaning.

Leo Baeck (1873-1956)
Rabbi and scholar

No revenge is more honorable than one not taken.
-- Spanish Proverb

Revenge has no more quenching effect on emotions than salt water has on thirst.
-- Walter Weckler

Men grow old, pearls grow yellow, there is no cure for it.
-- Chinese Proverb

There is no cure for birth or death save to enjoy the interval.
-- George Santayana

Talking is not like doing.
-- Lebanese Proverb

Trust in God and do something.
-- Mary Lyon

It isn't the whistle that pulls the train.
-- Vermont Proverb

Saying is one thing and doing another.

The land is never devoid of counselors.
-- African Proverb

Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair.
-- George Burns

May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
--Irish Blessing

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction!
--Irish Blessing

Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.
-- English Proverb

The same wind snuffs candles yet kindles flames; so, where absence kills a little love, it fans a great one.
-- Francois de la Rochefoucauld

pavalamani pragasam
1st August 2005, 12:20 AM
[tscii:589764824a]• MOM'S LOVE

When u were 1 year old, She fed you and bathed you.
You thanked her by crying all night long.

When u were 2 years old, she taught u to walk,
You thanked her by running away when she called.

When u were 3 years old, she made ur meals with love,
You thanked her by tossing the plate on the floor.

When u were 6 years old, she walked u to the school,
You thanked her by screaming, "I AM NOT GOING!"

When u were 8 years old, she bought u an icecream,
You thanked her by dripping it all over ur lap.

When u were 9 years old, she paying for piano classes,
You thanked her by never doing any practice.

When u were 11 years old, she took u and your friends to a movie,
You thanked her by asking to sit in a different row.

When u were 12 years old, she told u not to watch TV shows,
You thanked her by waiting until she left the house.

When u were 13, she suggested a hair cut,
You thanked her by telling she had no taste.

When u were 14, she payed for a month away at summer camp,
You thanked her by forgetting to write even a single letter.

When u were 15, she came home from work, looking for a hug,
You thanked her by having ur bedroom door locked.

When u were 17, she was expecting an important call,
You thanked her by being on phone all night.

When u were 18, she cried at your high school graduation,
You thanked her by staying out partying until dawn.

When u were 19, she paid for ur college tution, drove u to ur campus, and carried ur bags,
You thanked her by saying "goodbye" outside the dorm, to avoid embarassment in front of your friends.

When u were 20, she asked if u were seeing anyone,
You thanked her saying "its none of your business".

When u were 21, she suggested certain careers,
You thanked her by saying "I dont want to be like you".

When u were 24, she met ur fiance and asked about ur future plans,
You thanked her by glaring and growling "Muuthher...please!!!"

When u were 25, she helped u pay for your wedding, and cried to say she deeply loves u,
You thanked her by moving halfway across the country.

When u were 30, she called with some advise on the baby,
You thanked by saying "Things are different now"

when u were 40, she called to remind of a relative's birthday
You thanked her by saying 'you were really busy right now'.

When u were 50, she fell ill and needed u to take care of her,
You thanked her by reading about the burden parents become to their children.

And then one day... she quietly died...
And everything u never did, came crashing down like a thunder ON YOUR HEART.

(IF SHE IS STILL AROUND, NEVER FORGET TO LOVE HER, MORE THAN EVER!)

[/tscii:589764824a]

NM
9th August 2005, 07:12 PM
Only by going too far can one possibly find out how far one can go.

Jon dyer
-------------------------------------------
People only see what they are prepared to see.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you learn to succeed.

Unknown
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Unknown

pavalamani pragasam
29th August 2005, 01:52 PM
[tscii:c258d46e4c]“From time immemorial women had cooked food for their men. The world of danger- of madness, receded. Woman, in her kitchen, was safe- eternally safe.”[/tscii:c258d46e4c]

lordstanher
29th August 2005, 10:42 PM
(IF SHE IS STILL AROUND, NEVER FORGET TO LOVE HER, MORE THAN EVER!)

Tks PP ma'm! Tat was a really touching one! :D
I now keep this mind & fortunately for me my mother is still around!

lordstanher
31st August 2005, 09:57 AM
A good one I read lately :wink: :

Politicians are like diapers- they should be changed regularly and for the same reason! -Anon

NOV
13th September 2005, 09:26 AM
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

scorpio
13th September 2005, 11:07 AM
When women go wrong, men go right after them.

NOV
15th September 2005, 07:47 AM
Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when he is in trouble again.

Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving.

Behind every successful woman, is a man who is surprised.

Whoever said money can't buy happiness, didn't know where to shop.

Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk.

Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

I'm not a complete idiot, there're still some parts missing!

Forgive your enemies but remember their names

The number of people watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.

I remember the time I was kidnapped and they sent a piece of my finger to my father. He said he wanted more proof.

Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Opportunity knocks but only once, it never rings your doorbell.

pavalamani pragasam
18th September 2005, 10:19 AM
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

NOV
20th September 2005, 09:55 AM
And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap ... but by the seeds you plant!
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
-- Albert Einstein

It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.
-- Eugene Ionesco Decouvertes

The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.
-- Mark Twain

The miracle is this - the more we share, the more we have.
-- Leonard Nimoy

Hope is the dream of the waking man.
-- Aristotle

Life is like photography. You use the negative to develop.
- Unknown Author

NOV
22nd September 2005, 08:46 AM
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
-- Oscar Wilde

Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill.
-- Johnny Carson

A man doesn't know what hapiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
-- Frank Sinatra (The Joker is Wild, 1957)

Happiness is a very small desk and a very big wastebasket.
-- Robert Orben

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.
-- Rita Mae Brown

Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion.
-- Jean Jacques Rousseau

One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
-- Terry Pratchett (Jingo, 1997)

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all.
-- Ogden Nash

Happiness is good health and a bad memory.
-- Ingrid Bergman

a.ratchasi
29th September 2005, 12:10 PM
The first and most difficult task of dialogue involves parking the ego and listening with an open spirit. From this receptivity can come questions which lead to understanding. To ask these questions requires that one no longer need to have the best or last answer. Expanding one's understanding becomes more important than being right or getting one's point across.

Ann McGee-Cooper

A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what a ship is built for.

Unknown

We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view.

Mao Tse-tung

Being willing to change allows you to move from a point of view to a viewing point--a higher, more expansive place, from which you can see both sides.

Thomas Crum

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.

Les Brown

a.ratchasi
29th September 2005, 12:13 PM
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

~Gandhi~

scorpio
29th September 2005, 12:14 PM
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

~Gandhi~

a.r,

:rotfl: Timing cannot be more apt!!!! :wink:

NM
2nd October 2005, 07:21 AM

~Gandhi~ :lol: :thumbsup:

lordstanher
5th October 2005, 03:18 PM
Sum quotes by Swami Vivekananda:

"If you really want to know someone's character, look at their most ordinary actions, not their great performances or achievements, for every fool can become a hero at some point in his life."

"Anything that weakens you physically, intellectually and spiritually, reject as poison."

"The chaste mind has tremendous strength and gigantic willpower."

-------------------------------------
-More as I rem. them........ :D

Anoushka
6th October 2005, 03:47 PM
[tscii:c910440479]TIME

Time is the only critic without ambition.

John Steinbeck (1902–1968)
Writer

Give me time enough, and I may like it.

Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)
Writer and naturalist[/tscii:c910440479]

nilavupriyan
6th October 2005, 06:01 PM
nice topic

"there is nothing thrilling in life than the first conciousness of love...the first fluttering of its silken wings"

"you dont love someone who is very beautiful.....she is very beautiful as you love her"

Arthi
7th October 2005, 12:35 PM
Just for fun posting some Hilarious Quotes also....

Navjot Sidhu's Famous Quotes :

Sidhuism ...

1. That ball went so high it could have got an air hostess down with it.
2. There is light at the end of the tunnel for India, but it's that of an
incoming train which will run them over.
3. Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald.
4. This quote was made after Ganguly called Dravid for a run and midway sent him back and Dravid was run out in the third test against the West Indies at Barbados ."Ganguly has thrown a drowning man both ends of the rope."
5. Sri Lankan score is running like an Indian taximeter.
6. Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than what they hide.
7. Wickets are like wives - you never know which way they will turn!
8. He is like Indian three-wheeler, which will suck a lot of diesel but
cannot go beyond 30!
9. The Indians are going to beat the Kiwis! Let me tell you, my friend that
the Kiwi is the only bird in the whole world, which does not have wings!
10. As uncomfortable as a bum on a porcupine.
11. The ball whizzes past like a bumble -bee and the Indians are in the sea.
12. The Indians are finding the gaps like a pin a haystack.
13. The pitch is as dead as a dodo.
14. Deep Dasgupta is as confused as a child is in a topless bar!
15. The way Indian wickets are falling reminds of the cycle stand at
Rajendra Talkies in Patiala one falls and everything else falls!
16. Indian team without Sachin is like giving Kiss without a Squeeze.
17. You cannot make Omelets without breaking the eggs.
18. Deep Dasgupta is not a Wicket Keeper, he is a goalkeeper. He must be
given a free transfer to Manchester United.
19. He will fight a rattlesnake and give it the first two bites too.
20. One, who doesn't throw the dice, can never expect to score a six.
21. This quote was made after Eddie Nichols, the third umpire, ruled
Shivnarine Chanderpaul 'NOT OUT' in the second test at Port of Spain T&T.
"Eddie Nichols is a man who cannot find his own buttocks with his two hands."
22. Anybody can pilot a ship when the sea is calm.
23. Nobody travels on the road to success without a puncture or two.
24. You got to choose between tightening your belt or losing your pants.
25. The cat with gloves catches no mice.
26. Age has been perfect fire extinguisher for flaming youth.
27. You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
28. He is like a one-legged man in a bum kicking competition.
29. The third umpires should be changed as often as nappies and for the same reason.
30. Kumble's bowling at the moment is flat as a Dosa.

And Finally the clincher:-

This quote was made when India was losing a match and one of the
fellow commentator made the mistake of saying that things would have been different had Tendulkar's wicket not
fallen at the wrong time.

My dear, if my aunt was a man she would have been my uncle !!!!

Anoushka
7th October 2005, 10:31 PM
Listen to what they say of others and you will know what they say of you.
--Cuban Proverb

What people say behind your back is your standing in the community. --Edgar Watson Howe

NOV
12th October 2005, 07:44 AM
As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and Ican't remember the other two...
-- Sir Norman Wisdom

One of the most difficult things in the world is to convince a woman that even a bargain costs money.
-- Edgar Watson Howe

A true friend is one who overlooks your failures and tolerates your success!
-- Doug Larson

A harmful truth is always better then...a useful lie!
-- Eric Bolton

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.
-- Erno Philips

I only go to work on days that don't end in a 'y'.
-- Robert Paul

We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk and the next twelve telling them to sit down and shut up.
-- Phyllis Diller

Laughter is the closest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
-- W.C. Fields

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
-- Will Rogers

Always get married early in the morning. That way, if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted a whole day.
-- Mickey Rooney

Women now have choices. They can be married, not married, have a job, not have a job, be married with children, unmarried with children. Men have the same choice we've always had: work or prison.
-- Tim Allen

If you never want to see a man again, say, 'I love you, I want to marry you. I want to have children...' - they leave skid marks.
-- Rita Rudner

I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
-- Woody Allen

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
-- Erica Jong

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.
-- Elbert Hubbard

Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
-- Wendell Johnson

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.
-- Joey Adams

I've been in love with the same woman for forty-one years. If my wife finds out, she'll kill me.
-- Henry Youngman

Have you noticed that all the people in favor of birth control are already born ?
-- Benny Hill

dev
12th October 2005, 09:43 AM
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.
-- Erno Philips

I only go to work on days that don't end in a 'y'.
-- Robert Paul

We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk and the next twelve telling them to sit down and shut up.
-- Phyllis Diller

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.
-- Joey Adams

I've been in love with the same woman for forty-one years. If my wife finds out, she'll kill me.
-- Henry Youngman

Have you noticed that all the people in favor of birth control are already born ?
-- Benny Hill

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anoushka
12th October 2005, 09:34 PM
[tscii:a8e24c5cfa]DON'T WAIT

You have to be a player to get into the game.

Katha Pollitt
Writer

Men are like trees: Each one must put forth the leaf that is created in him.

Henry Ward Beecher (1813–1887)
Clergyman

REFLECTION

Learn to be silent. Let your quiet mind listen and absorb.

Pythagoras (c. 580–c. 500 B.C.)
Philosopher and mathematician

It is often interesting, in retrospect, to consider the trifling causes that lead to great events.

Patricia Moyes
Writer

TIME MANAGEMENT

Have a time and place for everything, and do everything in its time and place, and you will not only accomplish more, but have far more leisure than those who are always hurrying, as if vainly attempting to overtake time that had been lost.

Tryon Edwards (1809-1894)
Theologian

To choose time is to save time.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Philosopher and statesman

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

One man's poison ivy is another man's spinach.

George Ade (1866-1944)
Humorist and dramatist

Truce is better than friction.

Charles Herguth

APPRECIATE THE DIFFERENCES

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
U.S. President

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dandemis
Philosopher[/tscii:a8e24c5cfa]

j.chenkalvarayan
12th October 2005, 09:41 PM
The Wisdom of Socrates

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his
wisdom.

One day the great philosopher came upon an
acquaintance that ran up to him
excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you
know what I just heard about one of your students
called Plato?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell
me I'd like you to
pass
a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test".

"Triple filter?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you
talk to me about my
student
let's take a moment to filter what you're going to
say.

The first Filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely
sure that what you
are
about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it
and..."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really
know if it's true or
not.

Now let's try the second filter, the Filter of
Goodness. Is what you are
about to tell me about my student something good?"
"No, on the contrary..."
"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me
something bad about him,
even though you're not certain it's true?"
The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.
Socrates continued. "You may still pass the test
though, because there is
a
third filter - the Filter of usefulness. Is what you
want to tell me
about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really..."
"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to
tell me is neither True
nor Good, nor even Useful, why tell it to me at
all?"
The man was defeated and ashamed.

This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher
and held in such high
esteem.

p.s: again people please note the use of big names again. the only difference is the story doesn't mention the name at the end but uses it throughout. i think i have posted in the wrong thread. never mind. anything under the sun is fair enough.

NOV
13th October 2005, 05:51 AM
This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.There is a postscript to this anecdote...

This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem. And that is also the reason why Socrates never discovered that his wife was having an affair with Plato. :lol:

j.chenkalvarayan
13th October 2005, 10:39 AM
i deliberately left that out. :oops:

Anoushka
13th October 2005, 03:55 PM
[tscii:114350f841]WEDDED BLISS

A happy marriage is a long conversation that always seems too short.

Andre Maurois (1885–1967)
Writer

Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up.

Joseph Barth
Clergyman

WE ARE UNIQUE

A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.

Charles Dickens
A Tale Of Two Cities

The most important thing is to be whatever you are without shame.

Rod Steiger (1925-2002)
Actor

TAKE A CHANCE

If you think there's a 50/50 chance of success or better, then go for it.

Mira Kirshenbaum
Psychotherapist

Yes, risk-taking is inherently failure-prone. Otherwise, it would be called sure-thing-taking.

Tim McMahon

CLEAR CONSCIENCE

For the man sound of body and serene of mind there is no such thing as bad weather; every day has its beauty, and storms which whip the blood do but make it pulse more vigorously.

George Robert Gissing (1857-1903)
Writer and critic

If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
This is the best season of your life.

Wu-Men (c. 1183-1260)
Buddhist monk

THE WORLD

The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning.

Ivy Baker Priest (1905-1975)
Public official

You are responsible for the world that you live in.

August Wilson
Playwright

GREATNESS

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

William Shakespeare
Twelfth Night

Greatness is not standing above our fellows and ordering them around--it is standing with them and helping them to be all they can be.

G. Arthur Keough (1909-1989)
Educator[/tscii:114350f841]

Anoushka
14th October 2005, 04:12 PM
PROGRESS

To wish to progress is the largest part of progress.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 B.C.-65 A.D.)
Philosopher and statesman

The goal of an argument should be progress, not victory.

Author unknown

LEAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Nobody stands taller than those willing to stand corrected.

William Safire
Columnist

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing better than they have ever done before.

Vita Sackville-West (1892-1962)
Novelist and poet

REACH BACK WITH GRATITUDE

If you are successful remember that somewhere, sometime, someone gave you a lift or an idea that started you in the right direction. Remember, also, that you are indebted to life until you help some less fortunate person, just as you were helped.

Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)
Motivational writer

I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.

John D. Rockefeller, Jr. (1874-1960)
Business executive and philanthropist

PROVERBIAL WISDOM

Better to ask twice than to lose your way once.

Danish proverb

Silence is a fence around wisdom

Anoushka
15th October 2005, 05:56 PM
He that can't endure the bad will not live to see the good.
--Yiddish Proverb

I will prepare and some day my chance will come.
--Abraham Lincoln

Walk lightly in the spring;
Mother Earth is pregnant.
--Kiowa Proverb

Every seed knows its time.
--Russian Proverb

If there is no wind, row.
--Latin Proverb

We will either find a way, or make one.
--Hannibal

Each generation will reap what the former generation has sown.
--Chinese Proverb

The world is made of stairs, and there are those who go up and those who go down.

As he thinks in his heart, so he is.
--Jewish Proverb

There is nothing as eloquent as a rattlesnake's tail.
--Navajo Proverb

Adversity is the stuff that shows whether you are what you thought you were.
--American Proverb

Always a valley before a hill.
--American Proverb

j.chenkalvarayan
16th October 2005, 06:38 PM
two things control man's character strength and pity
-swami vivekananda

some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set

keep five metres away from a carriage,ten metres from a horse, and hundred metres from an elephant; but distance one should keep from a wicked man/woman cannot be measured.

what's a good investment?
go home from work early and spend the afternoon throwing a ball around with your son.

Anoushka
17th October 2005, 07:22 PM
Take only what you need and leave the land as you found it.
--Native American Proverb

We have forgotten how to be good guests, how to walk lightly on the earth as other creatures do.
--1972 Only One Earth Conference

Danger past, God forgotten.
--Scottish Proverb

Anyone who truly loves God travels securely.
--Teresa of Avila

Let your ears hear what your mouth says.
--Jewish Proverb

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.
--Mark Twain

Arrogance is a kingdom without a crown.
--American Proverb

A sharp tongue and a dull mind are usually found in the same head.

Those who wish to shine always find a song.
--Swedish Proverb

Thought is the blossom;
language the bud;
action the fruit behind it.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.
--American Proverb

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.
There can be no courage unless you're scared.
--Eddie Rickenbacker

Anoushka
19th October 2005, 10:25 PM
[tscii:410be3153d]
May the Lord grant me a sword and no need to use it.
--Czech Proverb

One sword keeps another in the sheath.
--George Herbert

Who gossips to you will gossip of you.
--Puerto Rican Proverb

Gossip is when you hear something you like about someone you don't.
--Earl Wilson

If you can't bite, don't show your teeth.
--Yiddish Proverb

Anger as soon as fed is dead –
'Tis starving makes it fat.
--Emily Dickinson

Alcohol will preserve anything but a secret.
--American Proverb

If you wish to preserve your secret, wrap it up in frankness.
--Alexander Smith

All dreams spin out from the same web.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees;
she requires the hand of time.
--Voltaire
[/tscii:410be3153d]

Anoushka
20th October 2005, 07:37 PM
If you live in my heart, you live rent free.
--Irish Proverb

They gave each other a smile with a future in it.
--Ring Lardner

No one knows the story of tomorrow's dawn.
--African Proverb

With high hope for the future, no prediction is ventured.
--Abraham Lincoln

Do not confine your children to your own learning, for they were born in another time.
--Hebrew Proverb

Children are remarkable for their intelligence and ardour, for their curiosity, their intolerance of shams, the clarity and ruthlessness of their vision.
--Aldous Huxley

Choose thy love. Love thy choice.
--German Proverb

Every theory of love, from Plato down, teaches that each individual loves in the other sex what he lacks in himself.
--G. Stanley Hall

For the concert of life, no one receives a program.
--Dutch Proverb

And how am I to face the odds
Of man's bedevilment and God's?
I, a stranger and afraid
In a world I never made.
--A. E. Housman

Choose your friends like your books, few but choice.
--American Proverb

Be slow in choosing a friend, slower in changing.
--Benjamin Franklin

Anoushka
24th October 2005, 05:27 PM
EXPERIENCE

A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing.

Jessamyn West
The Life I Really Lived
Penguin Books

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lessons afterward.

Author unknown

The deepest waters make the least noise.
--Guatemalan Proverb

We carry with us the wonders we seek without us.
--Sir Thomas Browne

You can outdistance that which is running after you but not what is running inside you.
--Rwandan Proverb

We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seeded refusal of that which others have made of us.
--Jean-Paul Sartre

The Lord will drench you with His showers, but he will dry you with His sun.
--Czech Proverb

Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
--Psalms

True friends never owe each other anything.

William Pene du Bois
Bear Circus
Viking

In choosing a friend, go up a step.

He who doesn't look ahead remains behind.
--Mexican Proverb

Light tomorrow with today!
--Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Conscience is the voice of the soul.
--Polish Proverb

Shame arises from the fear of man;
conscience from the fear of God.
--Samuel Johnson

Anoushka
25th October 2005, 05:19 PM
[tscii:33bfc72679]ANSWERS

The answers you get depend upon the questions you ask.

Thomas Kuhn (1922–1996)
Philosopher and historian

Before you get your questions answered you have to get them asked.

Bill Farr
[/tscii:33bfc72679]

Anoushka
26th October 2005, 03:56 PM
Who does nothing can do nothing wrong.
--German Proverb

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
--Beverly Sills

Anoushka
27th October 2005, 03:53 PM
[tscii:bab4c2bae9]ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Self-discipline is when your conscience tells you to do something and you don't talk back.

W. K. Hope

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

A. A. Milne (1882–1956)
Writer
[/tscii:bab4c2bae9]

Anoushka
1st November 2005, 05:11 PM
A baby is an angel whose wings decrease as his legs increase.
-- French Proverb

The child that's left to himself will put his mother to shame.
-- Gaelic Proverb

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

Grief shared is half grief;
Joy shared is double joy.
--Honduran Proverb

UNDERSTANDING

The thing most people want is genuine understanding. If you can understand the feelings and moods of another person, you have something fine to offer.

Paul Brock

[G]et wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

The Bible