PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to take up Arts

Niranjana
18th May 2005, 05:01 PM
Yes, Now that I've completed my 12th Boards, I'm going to take up Arts in some coll in India.
I don't have an aptitude for Science or Maths and no base in Comm.

P_R
18th May 2005, 05:20 PM
Yes, Now that I've completed my 12th Boards, I'm going to take up Arts in some coll in India.
I don't have an aptitude for Science or Maths and no base in Comm. Why India ? Perhaps it's better than Sharjah, but is somewhere in the West not an option ? Considering you want to do arts, that is.

Niranjana
19th May 2005, 10:07 AM
Er.....No, I won't be allowed to stay abroad. In India, I have relatives whom I can stay with.
My parents are still in Sharjah and don't plan to come back for a longer time.

P_R
19th May 2005, 11:50 AM
Er.....No, I won't be allowed to stay abroad. In India, I have relatives whom I can stay with.
My parents are still in Sharjah and don't plan to come back for a longer time. Ok ! Arts as in performing arts, fine arts ? Still deciding ? Locational preferences ? Heck I'm sounding like a package tour guide :)

Niranjana
19th May 2005, 02:29 PM
lol- u r........!

Not Performing Arts. I'm going to take up History or Geography.......Still Undecided.I like both.

P_R
19th May 2005, 04:29 PM
lol- u r........!

Not Performing Arts. I'm going to take up History or Geography.......Still Undecided.I like both.
That's why I asked. I hear in the US you can enroll in undergrad programmes without declaring what to major in and credit courses over the years and then decide your major. That system does not exist in India.
There are several good places where you will benefit from the university environment, which is definitely more important than the actual coursework itself :) Enquire around about colleges in Delhi University. The cream colleges are among the best in India (St.Stephen's, Hindu College etc)

nirosha sen
19th May 2005, 08:13 PM
I have a feeling Niranjana is going to Kerala, Pa!! Am I right, dear???? :)

Surya
21st May 2005, 12:59 AM
That's why I asked. I hear in the US you can enroll in undergrad programmes without declaring what to major in and credit courses over the years and then decide your major. That system does not exist in India.

Exactly! Most ppl here don't know what they want to majour in until they get to college and take a few courses. I was no different. The Edu System here just gives a lot of elbow room, to shift if u want to later on. :)

nirosha sen
21st May 2005, 11:13 AM
hey, I have a question to pose to all of you :

Is the scientific calculator allowed in the school exam halls, please??? It is now a practice in Malaysian school exams for Maths/Science exams . I just got wind of it, and I'm absolutely floored speechless, Pa!!

How abt the US or UK??? Care to comment abt it please???? :)

lordstanher
21st May 2005, 04:29 PM
Is the scientific calculator allowed in the school exam halls, please??? It is now a practice in Malaysian school exams for Maths/Science exams . I just got wind of it, and I'm absolutely floored speechless, Pa!!

I thot its long been common in the US (and I think even UK but not 100% sure!).....? :?

P_R
21st May 2005, 04:39 PM

How abt the US or UK??? Care to comment abt it please???? :) Why US,UK it is allowed in Indian School Certificate exams. Yours truly battled the exams armed with a casio :). Must say it did very little value addition :(

aravindhan
21st May 2005, 06:51 PM
Why US,UK it is allowed in Indian School Certificate exams. Yours truly battled the exams armed with a casio :). Must say it did very little value addition :(
In Maths?? Which board? In my days, Clark's Tables was the only computational tool we were allowed, and even that was restricted to Physics and Chemistry.

Scientific calculators in a Maths exam... :shock:

Surya
21st May 2005, 11:27 PM

It is being used here in the US. My school only started letting us use sci cals in Xams after 9th grade. I would presume that everyone uses them now.

P_R
22nd May 2005, 01:31 AM
Why US,UK it is allowed in Indian School Certificate exams. Yours truly battled the exams armed with a casio :). Must say it did very little value addition :(
In Maths?? Which board? In my days, Clark's Tables was the only computational tool we were allowed, and even that was restricted to Physics and Chemistry.

Scientific calculators in a Maths exam... :shock: ISC board. (Indian School Certificate). Calcis not allowed for the board's class X (ICSE) exams but allowed for the XII. Actually it makes nearly no difference. It is useful in Physics during the practicals were you need to sine and cosine horrible fractions.