PDA

View Full Version : TIPS FOR BETTER LIVING

nirosha sen
24th May 2005, 08:26 AM
Tips for Better Living - This thread is simply for all hubbers to share whatever tips you have using everyday, easily available items.

Come and share your tips by using anything re-cyclable and re-usable in more ways that intended originally!!

nirosha sen
24th May 2005, 08:30 AM
Tip No 1 : Ever found it hard to scale off your fish while cleaning??? Have no fear, just leave them in the fridge for half an hour, before you scale them and watch those scales come off easily, Pa!!

Tip No 2 : To have your candles last longer and burn brightly, why don't you store them in the freezer before use???? And then, check out that flame when you light your candle!!

nirosha sen
25th May 2005, 12:52 PM
Tip No 3 : Ever tried tearing out a piece of handyplast from that cut or wound????? Remember, what a torture it can be???? Well, fear no more, Pa!!

All you need is a few drops of baby oil to dripp around the plaster, allow it to be asborbed a few minutes, before attempting to remove it. Voila! The plaster is off with no pain whatsoever!

Try it for the little ones at least. They'll appreciate it, I'm sure, plus no more tearing up raw wounds Pa!! :wink:

Sandeep
26th May 2005, 11:57 AM
Tip No 3 : Ever tried tearing out a piece of handyplast from that cut or wound????? Remember, what a torture it can be???? Well, fear no more, Pa!!

All you need is a few drops of baby oil to dripp around the plaster, allow it to be asborbed a few minutes, before attempting to remove it. Voila! The plaster is off with no pain whatsoever!

Try it for the little ones at least. They'll appreciate it, I'm sure, plus no more tearing up raw wounds Pa!! :wink:

Thank god I thought I have to leave the wound in the fridge for half an hour, before you scale them and watch those handyplast come off easily :lol: :lol: :lol:

a.ratchasi
26th May 2005, 02:15 PM
[tscii:db66545f8e]Tips of how to stay young……

Research have found that people who generally live longer do so partly because of good habits. Here, Dr Vernon Coleman and others provide some of the following good habits for longevity.

1. Laugh & fun, don’t be gloomy

2. Let bygones be bygones. Dwelling on the past inflicts
unnecessary stress.

3. Early to bed, early to rise, is healthy & wise

4. Stay lean, being just 30% overweight is bad.

5. Keep learning, reading & socializing – an alert & active
mind keeps brain cells healthy.

6. Keep working, doing something you like. Don’t retire, it
slows down your body.

7. Be the boss of your own life. Letting others push you
around produces stress.

8. Too many pills ruin your body, take just what you need.

9. Constantly alternating between weight gain & loss is bad

10. Exercise, quit smoking and eat less fatty foods

11. Do not worry about health & death, just get on with your
life and enjoy it.[/tscii:db66545f8e]

a.ratchasi
26th May 2005, 02:19 PM
[tscii:65d14afd82]20 organic basics to help you cleanse, moisturise, exfoliate, hydrate, tone and relax.

Honey
The elixir of life, vitamin-enriched and a natural moisturiser, honey is antiseptic and
soothing. An excellent base for face and body packs, you could also use it as a healing lip
salve.

Fenugreek Seeds/Powder
Rich in iron, vitamin C and calcium, ‘methi’ is a prerequisite for healthy hair. Soak a
handful of ‘methi’ seeds in a bucket of water and rinse your hair with it.

Lemon Or Lime
A great disinfectant and rich in vitamin C, lemon works well for both skin and hair. Squeeze half a lime into a
bucket of water and use it as an astringent for oily skin. It removes greasy buildup that cause acne. For the
face, mix it with rose water and honey, it acts as a great skin tonic.

Peels
Bottle up dried citrus peels. Mixed with glycerin and lemon juice, they are effective scrubbers and help cure a
pimply back or rough skin.

Turmeric Powder
Turmeric is an antiseptic and cleanser. Mixed with either olive oil or coconut oil, it helps your skin to glow.

Aloe Vera
You can also just break off a stem and use the sap as a
moisturiser or after-shave gel. It’s an effective first-aid against burns and a good cell regenerator. When applied
daily on the face, it may reduce wrinkles and retard skin ageing. You could also massage tired feet with the
sap.

Salt
Mix it with a little tooth powder to give your teeth a sparkle. A gentle salt scrub with a little lemon juice and
any essential oil is a good monthly exfoliation ritual.

Sugar
Another exfoliater, sugar also softens the skin. Mix it with lemon juice and honey and rub it hard on rough
elbows and knees to keep them soft and clean.

Rice Powder
To remove and prevent blackheads, gently rub coarse rice powder mixed with a little water on the blackheads.

Oils
Coconut, olive or almond, are necessary for good hair and skin. Almond oil is both soothing and nourishing;
wheatgerm oil is good for delicate skin and coconut oil is still the best nourishment for hair. Relax your
muscles and nerves with olive oil. Massaging your body with it before your bath helps your skin retain
moisture.
[/tscii:65d14afd82]

a.ratchasi
26th May 2005, 02:24 PM
Skin Care

Do's & Dont's

Do's:
Water
Water helps flush out toxins from the body. Drink plenty of water, at least 8 glasses a day for that clear complexion.

Sleep
Along with getting sufficient sleep it is important to have a regular sleeping pattern, for that simply beautiful look.

Diet
Eating a well balanced diet and regular eating habits will make you physically and mentally stronger and fit.

Exercise
Exercise benefits the skin by helping to maintain a clear circulation, calming the nerves and promoting a deeper, more revitalizing sleep. It makes your skin look young and healthy.

Dont's:
Smoking
Cigarette smoking robs the skin of its vital nutrients. -Carbon monoxide and nicotine enter the circulatory system, and deprive the skin tissues of much needed oxygen and vital nutrients. People who smoke have a pallid complexion
and skin that wrinkles prematurely.

Alcohol
Alcohol dehydrates the skin and impedes circulation, thus robbing the skin of precious moisture, vital nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Recent studies have shown that women are more susceptible to the ill effects of alcohol than men.

Raghu
26th May 2005, 03:21 PM
Niro Aunty,

Great topic! :thumbsup:

A.Ratchasi

I heard soaking badams(almonds) over night and eat them in the morning is good for the brain and the skin, is this true?

Tips

1) Never eat Dried fruits, except dates, as they are high in sugar

2) Eat at least 3 hours before you sleep, never eat too much at night

3) Have light snacks regularly; this prevents you over eating when you get hungry

4) Drink water while eating this gives you the fuller feelings so that you do not over eat.

Last but NOT least, get RID of your EGO and surrender unto the SUPREME

nirosha sen
26th May 2005, 06:18 PM
:D Wow Ratchasi and Raghu!! Thanks for those wonderful tips!! Real lessons to learn, Pa!!

Raghu
26th May 2005, 06:59 PM
:D Wow Ratchasi and Raghu!! Thanks for those wonderful tips!! Real lessons to learn, Pa!!

Thanks Aunty

More tips

1) Break fast is essential; you must eat a lot for Break fast, then Lunch and very less for dinner

2) Average Male should Not Consume more than 2500 Cal day, while an average female should not consume more than 2000 cal of day.

3) Minimum Salt consumption for male is 7g female 5g

4) Green leaves are essential for iron and to produce Red Blood Cells.

5) You must eat at least 5 portions of fruit & veg a day

6) Two oranges will give you the 100% of RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of Vitamin C

7) 1/2 litre of Milk should be consumed a day to give the extra Protein and Calcium

8) NEVER eat egg yolk (High in FAT, leading to cholesterol problems), ONLY egg white (high in Protein)

9) One aspirin a day helps to thin the blood, hence improving blood circulation all around the body.

10) If your nose bleeds NEVER TILT YOUR HEAD UP, as it is very dangerous, hold the nostrils with wet cloth, till the bleeding stops.
You can put ICE cubes to stop the bleeds

11) Wash your DAMN HANDS thoroughly with anti bacterial hand was, before and after using the rest room, handling pets, cleaning house, and before and after cooking

a.ratchasi
27th May 2005, 08:58 AM
A.Ratchasi
I heard soaking badams(almonds) over night and eat them in the morning is good for the brain and the skin, is this true?

I am not so sure about that Raghu.
Niro, any idea?

nirosha sen
27th May 2005, 09:26 AM
hmm....as far as I know, almonds are rich in linoleic acid or oil!! But as a brain booster, that's news indeed! :?

I've heard that "Vallaarey" or the penny-wort leaves has that x-factor as a grey cell enhancer for better memory! Any comments from anybody else????

dev
27th May 2005, 10:32 AM
I love vallarai chutney!!!... & I used to eat vallarai or ladies finger on the day of maths exam... :lol: & believe me,I've got thru' in all the maths exams... :wink: Those were during school days & that was when I used to read a lot abt ayurveda & naturopathy...

scorpio
27th May 2005, 10:41 AM
Dev,

Welcome back.. :D exams eppadi panneenga??

dev
27th May 2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Scorpio... Exams went on well... Results by end july... I'm planning for a trip to India in June... Once I'm back,I'll have to start job hunting...

So, when is ur US trip akka?... The weather there is too good now... beautiful spring...beautiful flowers & greenary everywhere... :)

Badri,

Unga peanut techniqueaa follow pannamale I managed the flight this time... :wink:

scorpio
27th May 2005, 10:51 AM
So, when is ur US trip akka?... The weather there is too good now... beautiful spring...beautiful flowers & greenary everywhere... :)

Dev,
Confirm aana udane sollaren.. Niro will get angry for digressing her thread.. Naalu tips sollittu ponga :lol:

dev
27th May 2005, 10:58 AM
:lol: Ok...soliduren...

EAT HEALTHY...LIVE BETTER... *

*For further info,pls visit Healthy lifestyle thread...:wink:

a.ratchasi
27th May 2005, 11:39 AM
*For further info,pls visit Healthy lifestyle thread...:wink:

Dev, are you a marketing graduate?
:wink:

dev
27th May 2005, 11:40 AM
:lol: ... illa ratchasi... neenga sollunga,ippo venumna padichiduren... :wink:

Deep_Secrets
27th May 2005, 12:27 PM
Niro, is coke/pepsi bad for skin?

Badri
27th May 2005, 12:32 PM
What is Deep Secrets doing around here still? Haven't you gone into the Deeps...er...the NWFP yet, little girl?

Deep_Secrets
27th May 2005, 12:33 PM
I am in a net cafe or whatever

Badri
27th May 2005, 12:35 PM
Badri,

Unga peanut techniqueaa follow pannamale I managed the flight this time... :wink:

Good for you, Dev!! But let us not convert this thread also into an arattai arangam!!

Here's my tip: Yes, I have heard almonds have a positive effect on the brain. 5 badams soaked overnight, and eaten in the morning is supposed to be good for the skin, heart and brain.

Deep_Secrets
27th May 2005, 12:36 PM
And the 'skin' of badaams should be peeled before eating....

a.ratchasi
27th May 2005, 12:56 PM
:lol: ... illa ratchasi... neenga sollunga,ippo venumna padichiduren... :wink:

Dev, I know you are enthusiastic now that you are back after writing exams! Relax first, later paatekellam!!!! :lol: :lol:

nirosha sen
31st May 2005, 04:32 PM
Tip No 4 : Ever tried to have a more pleasant smelling bathroom or toilet daily????

Easy!! Just pour a capful of floor-wash detergent into the toilet bowl after flushing! This way there'll be no unpleasant odour lingering in your bathroom!!

Of course, this doesn't mean you don't scrub the bathroom, at least once a week, Pa!! :wink:

Raghu
31st May 2005, 04:52 PM
Tip No 4 : Ever tried to have a more pleasant smelling bathroom or toilet daily????

Easy!! Just pour a capful of floor-wash detergent into the toilet bowl after flushing! This way there'll be no unpleasant odour lingering in your bathroom!!

Of course, this doesn't mean you don't scrub the bathroom, at least once a week, Pa!! :wink:

Aiyo Niro Aunty, this is Lunch time in UK pa, I was thinking of what to eat , before I saw your post :twisted: :lol: :lol:

nirosha sen
31st May 2005, 07:28 PM
:lol: And after LUNCH???? Don't you have to go when you have to, Pa????!!!!

DON'T FORGET TO ADD THAT CAPFUL OF FLOORWASH DETERGENT OR EVEN SOME DETTOL!! :D

simplysimran
2nd June 2005, 03:38 PM
Almonds oil applied to face before you go to sleep makes your skin smoother and lighter in the morning giving a glowing complexion!

Alcohol dehydrates your skin, leaving dull, and dark looking

dev
2nd June 2005, 03:41 PM
Niro aunty,

Applying olive oil to ur skin darkens ur skin!!!...Is it true???... If so, suggest an oil that can be used for kids...say for weekend massages...

Raghu
2nd June 2005, 05:10 PM
Niro aunty,

Applying olive oil to ur skin darkens ur skin!!!...Is it true???... If so, suggest an oil that can be used for kids...say for weekend massages...

Dev

True, it is used to darken your hair, so if you apply to your skin, it will darken it

Niro Aunty

Ungalaukku sema pooti onu vanthiruche, I mean namma ila enoda simmy thaan :lol2:

dev
2nd June 2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks Raghu...

Anoushka
3rd June 2005, 04:13 PM
If you don't use too much coconut in your cooking and can't get anything less than a full coconut, grate the coconut as soon as you break it open and freeze it. Use it in your regular cooking and it feels & tastes like fresh coconut! Remeber not to stuff the grated coconut into the container before freezing as that makes it difficult to break into small chunks when you want to use it!

simplysimran
3rd June 2005, 04:39 PM
Coconut Oil and Almonds oils are really good for dry skin

Badri
6th June 2005, 05:45 AM
Almonds oil applied to face before you go to sleep makes your skin smoother and lighter in the morning giving a glowing complexion!

Well, there is another school of thought which holds that the skin should be left naturally when you go to bed. Oils and creams applied on the skin and left overnight can lead to clogging of the pores of the skin, leading to other problems.

Anyone knows anything on this?

Querida
6th June 2005, 06:09 AM
that is the same that i have heard Badri....that whatever is applied to the face before going to bed should be washed off rather than left on when one gets some shut eye....we also have to keep in mind that not everyone falls neatly into cosmetic catergories such as oily,dry or sensitive skin...we may have a mix of two or even differences as seasons, hormones and diet change...

NM
6th June 2005, 03:10 PM
My mom usually will steam 'nocchi ilei, aada thodai (?), modekettaan ilei, vaeppillai and another type of ilei (don't know the name)" and will let me bathe using the water when I have body-ache and all! It really feels good after the bath!

Raghu
6th June 2005, 03:18 PM
that is the same that i have heard Badri....that whatever is applied to the face before going to bed should be washed off rather than left on when one gets some shut eye....we also have to keep in mind that not everyone falls neatly into cosmetic catergories such as oily,dry or sensitive skin...we may have a mix of two or even differences as seasons, hormones and diet change...

Hi Q,

I don't think applying almond oil will harm your skin,

But me mama says Nalenai(Gingly Oil) is good for you, I love Ghee Dosai mama makes, yum yum :P :P

Anandi
7th June 2005, 12:23 AM
Hi Raghu,
Are u really sure that applying olive oil will darken the skin? Then why do they say many olive soaps in the market? I really doubt that.

Querida
7th June 2005, 12:26 AM
Alright Anandi redited for you: people will sell life insurance to the dead if they could...you cannot trust everything that is sold in shops to be good for you....olive oil and olive soap are two different things and furthermore may cause different reactions for different people.

Hi Raghu, no i didn't say olive oil would harm your skin but not to keep it on as overnight facial cause as Badri correctly said it clogs up your pores...i also just pointed out it is important to consider carefully what we put on our skin...

Anandi
7th June 2005, 12:30 AM
I cant understand what you are trying to say, but I have heard from many people that 'glycerin soap is really good for oily skin and it reduces pimples', and it sure does!! But no idea about glycein soap's effect on hair!!!

Anandi
7th June 2005, 12:35 AM
Yes. I completely agree with Querida and Badri in this regard. Recently, I heard a dr say in TV that we should all wash our face with a soap or any cleanser before going to bed-to prevent acnes.

Anandi
7th June 2005, 12:37 AM
So Q, u say that olive oil will darken the skin-and we should not use it?
I am asking this because I aplly olive oil for my daughter daily before giving her a bath!!-Someone told me it strengthens the muscles.

Querida
7th June 2005, 12:51 AM
well has it darkened your child's skin so far? I know this is a tough question to ask you cause hardly any of us is coloured uniformly all over....but see any tell-tale darkening of your child's limbs....if no then it's ok to use...if yes then switch to another oil....

dev
7th June 2005, 08:14 AM
I asked that que abt olive oil coz one of my friend uses it for her kid... & she said that the kid]s skin is becoming darker... I just made a wild guess that it might be coz of the oil they use for massage or the cold cream that they use... Also,I've heard the same experience from a few other friends...So just wanted to verify it...

sonu gopi
7th June 2005, 09:28 AM
[tscii:19d76086ee]Niro, :thumbsup: - an excellent thread with useful tips for our daily usage. Thanks.

Tip No. 1: To prevent insects from attacking Basmati rice – add a handful of dried chilly + cinnomon sticks into the container for it to stays fresh as new, long lasting and fragrant too.

Tip No. 2: To get rid of the “goaty” odour from mutton – sprinkle generous amount of flour to the cut pieces and mix well – wash off and then add enough salt and wash it thoroughly again. This way it helps to get rid of the slimy/strong odour. Don’t forget to add crushed ginger when you pressure cook the meat….problem solved and you can now prepare your dish as normal & enjoy your mutton masala to the fullest. :lol:

Tip No. 3: For a healthy/thick growth of lashes remove makeup and apply olive oil on your eye lids every night before retiring to bed. In the morning wash it off with a little Johnson’s baby shampoo – besides this also helps to overcome itchy/flaky dandruff surrounding the lashes/eyelids as well. :)

Sonu Gopi :D
[/tscii:19d76086ee]

NM
7th June 2005, 09:44 AM
SG - hi! Long time no see!! :D :D

Badri
7th June 2005, 09:52 AM
Here's a link I found on Olive Oil and its possible effects on darkening skin. Ran a search on google and came up with this. Hope it helps

http://www.indiaparenting.com/faqs/beauty/sensitive_skin.shtml

According to this, Olive oil is not supposed to have any effect on skin color. Maybe it is the bronze color of the oil that led to this idea. That and Olive colored skin!! :D

scorpio
8th June 2005, 11:28 AM
Received this via e-mail today:

NEVER LIGHT CANDLE in A.C. ROOM.

My friend passed away last week due to carbon-monoxide poisoning. It happened when she lighted an aroma theraputic candle for the night in a room with air-conditioner ON.

Due to lack of oxygen in the room, the burning of the candle cannot fully oxidize & thus forms dangerous carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide will prevent oxygen exchange in the lungs, resulting inthe person dozing offto a state of unconsciousness & eventually death in less than an hour, depending on the room size.

This message is to make you aware of such danger when lighting aroma theraputic candles in any unventilated rooms.

Take care friends!

sonu gopi
10th June 2005, 02:12 PM
Received this via e-mail today:

NEVER LIGHT CANDLE in A.C. ROOM.

My friend passed away last week due to carbon-monoxide poisoning. It happened when she lighted an aroma theraputic candle for the night in a room with air-conditioner ON.

Due to lack of oxygen in the room, the burning of the candle cannot fully oxidize & thus forms dangerous carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide will prevent oxygen exchange in the lungs, resulting inthe person dozing offto a state of unconsciousness & eventually death in less than an hour, depending on the room size.

This message is to make you aware of such danger when lighting aroma theraputic candles in any unventilated rooms.

Take care friends!

I am teriibly sorry to hear this, Scorpio. Its a pity the poor girl was not aware of the danger....in fact most of us would not have thought of such a tragedy to occur just by lighting the aroma therapeutic candles. :(

Thank you for the info as I am sure many would be now more cautious - esp. me for I have lit this candles in my AC room once but I felt quite uncomfortable/nauseating thus quickly removed it and opened all the windows for fresh air. Never wanted to do it again.

However, the very thought is now making a chill run down my spine!!

Sonu Gopi :(

hehehewalrus
10th June 2005, 03:18 PM
Its a hoax, read it
Candle in A/C room:
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/accandle.html

nirosha sen
10th June 2005, 08:31 PM
Well I just read another scare at Yahoo!! Apparently, deodorants cause breast cancer!! :(

God, it made a very persuasive read, Pa!! Has anyone else have infor. further to this claim????? :roll:

sonu gopi
10th June 2005, 09:06 PM
Its a hoax, read it
Candle in A/C room:
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/accandle.html

If its a hoax well and good.... but still I am not able to take the smell from these aroma therapeutic candles. Even the smell of Jasmine flowers or strong perfume is not favourable for me. Perhaps that could be the reason for the discomfort and neuseating feeling - but still I won't try them (candles) again. :lol:

I have heard of deodorants and even some branded facial creams said to be cancer causing agents - nothing seems to be safe now!! :rotfl:

Sonu Gopi :P

rajraj
10th June 2005, 09:15 PM
Nirosha:

Here is a link:

http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/3_66.htm

Or you can visit the website of the National Institute of Health in US.

http://www.nih.gov/

nirosha sen
11th June 2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks a lot Raj! :D Yes, it certainly doesn't help to exonorate any deodorants of suspicions cast so far! I wonder if countries where these products are not so much in use be able to get better data for comparison???

Sigh......I'm such a stickler for personal hygiene. Using deos. is a compulsion for me during the day. After my evening showers, I normally just opt for the talc. But with this news, I'm just flummoxed! Moreover, the news that I read attributed to the Deo, said that the cancer occurs in the lymph nodes which is found in the armpits!! :shock:

Raghu
14th June 2005, 03:19 PM
Tip No. 3: For a healthy/thick growth of lashes remove makeup and apply olive oil on your eye lids every night before retiring to bed.

Sonu Gopi :D
[/tscii]

Hi Sonu

Is this Ok to do for the head, I mean will it help to regrow hair from your scalp? :shock:

I hear that Olive oil is excellent for spots & blemishes, is this true, as well?

Raghu
16th June 2005, 08:05 PM
hello any one home?

any one knows the answer to my above question?

sonu gopi
17th June 2005, 06:07 AM
hello any one home?

I will get back on this - quite busy at work, visitors from overseas! :D Meanwhile if others could help out it would be splendid!!

Raghu
17th June 2005, 02:18 PM
hello any one home?

I will get back on this - quite busy at work, visitors from overseas! :D Meanwhile if others could help out it would be splendid!!

Thank Q :)

sonu gopi
18th June 2005, 10:41 PM
[tscii:f103cd6c91]

hello any one home?

Thank Q :)

Hi Raghu

I am no expert on this – you need to consult a physician. Balding is a sign of permanent hair loss. I read that 95% of hair loss is due to heredity. Ageing/hormone imbalance is another factor – it weakens the hair follicles which then causes thinning hair and balding. Stress too contributes a lot towards hair loss but it’s usually temporary. Lack of proper sleep causes dandruff and as such both are known culprits for hair loss. :roll:

Generally between 50-150 hair strands are lost each day but most hair re-grows because hair follicles remains but when shredding significantly exceeds hair growth, (sorry Raghu!) this is when balding sets in. Balding is often noted from tight hair do’s like braids, which creates tension that can inflame hair follicles, destroying them and stops further hair growth. Trauma to the head accompanied by scarring can cause permanent damage to hair follicles.

I have seen my cousins using olive oil for the hair and it looks thick and black – again this applies to normal hair definitely not when balding is taking place. Olive oil doesn’t agree with some cos’ it’s too cooling and there is a tendency to catch cold easily. As such I opt for home made coconut oil – which I am quite comfortable with. But personally I don’t think applying olive oil would solve the problem but then again there is no harm in giving it a try – NOTHING VENTURE NOTHING GAINED. :lol:

Furthermore, if olive oil could do the trick then those who are doing hair transplant business / selling hair products…would be running into a loss. :wink:

Tips On Preventing Hair Loss:-

1. Quit smoking.
2. Avoid excessive or chronic stress.
3. Prevent "crash-diets" for quick weight loss.
4. Eat healthy - give your hair a balanced nutrition -enough
protein, iron, carbohydrates, vitamins, essential fatty acids and
minerals to support healthy hair growth.
5. Oil your hair before using shampoo/conditioner which is
suitable for your hair.
6. Do not use hot water when shampooing or rinsing your hair.
7. Do not brush wet hair vigorously - hair is most fragile and can
easily cause breakage - so use a wide-toothed comb or finger
comb your hair to remove knots and for a fluffy look.
8. Sharp tooth combs can damage your hair, cause split ends and
scratch your scalp.
9. Use brush with soft bristles which is softer and more flexible
and less likely to damage your hair.
10. Blow dry hair with "cool air" - stop when hair is "almost dry"
then comb gently.
11. When swimming wear cap to protect hair from chlorinated water
otherwise quickly wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner
after you are done with swimming.
12. For oily hair wash it every other day / for dry hair 2.3 times a
week.

Spots and blemishes I am not sure - but someone I know had rough white/dried patched (itchy) skin around the elbow - using olive oil frequently helped it to reduce quite a bit and made the skin surface very smooth. :-)

SONU GOPI :P
[/tscii:f103cd6c91]

nirosha sen
19th June 2005, 06:08 AM
:D That was very informative Pa!! Thanks Sonu! Long time no see! No more ghostly tales huh???? :(

To extract fresh coconut oil : Extract thick santan from your regular scraped coconut and blend it in the Blender with some water. Leave the thick santan in the fridge overnight in a basin, if possible.

The next morning, the santan would have separated and coagulated into a thick, hard scum, floating on top from the rest of the whey.

Remove, the slab of solidyfied santan and gently place it in a wok or pot and heat it over the stove. Leave it to boil gently for abt half an hour. Voila!! The water would have evaporated away leaving fresh and sweet-smelling santan, wafting your kitchen air. Remove from stove, strain the oil into a clean, container and is now ready for use!! :wink:

sonu gopi
19th June 2005, 09:52 AM
[tscii:d5c15ccd90]
:D That was very informative Pa!! Thanks Sonu! Long time no see! No more ghostly tales huh???? :(

To extract fresh coconut oil : Extract thick santan from your regular scraped coconut and blend it in the Blender with some water. Leave the thick santan in the fridge overnight in a basin, if possible.

The next morning, the santan would have separated and coagulated into a thick, hard scum, floating on top from the rest of the whey.

Remove, the slab of solidyfied santan and gently place it in a wok or pot and heat it over the stove. Leave it to boil gently for abt half an hour. Voila!! The water would have evaporated away leaving fresh and sweet-smelling santan, wafting your kitchen air. Remove from stove, strain the oil into a clean, container and is now ready for use!! :wink:

Thanks Niro - Raghu would be happy now to make his own clean "home made coconut oil".

"Santan" is coconut milk/cream. If you add a few curry leaves to it and some venthaiyam while heating - it's said to make the hair black and lovely - also helps to cool down the body during hot weather. :lol:

Niro, I normally use hot water to the scraped coconut before blending it – this gives a more rich/creamier thick milk and when the sweet smelling oil is ready you can note that the texture is really good . Besides it doesn’t leave the blender oily after use as you would get when cold water is used instead :D

Sonu Gopi :wink:[/tscii:d5c15ccd90]

Raghu
20th June 2005, 05:36 PM
[tscii:0e62393a55]
Hi Raghu

I am no expert on this – you need to consult a physician. Balding is a sign of permanent hair loss. I read that 95% of hair loss is due to heredity. Ageing/hormone imbalance is another factor – it weakens ...

Thanks lot Sonu auntyji( I just pressumed u r an aunty as well, cos u called niro aunty, niro :lol: :lol: )

Did I say I am getiing bald, now :twisted: :lol: :lol: , no Sonu aunty, I am not getting bald, but my hair is thinning a lot, it could be due to the fact I wash it twice a day, do u think that could be cause of it?, BTW my dad is bald, but he had lot more hair than me, when he was my age, so he says :lol:[/tscii:0e62393a55]

sonu gopi
25th July 2005, 08:55 PM
[tscii:84c28f563b]

Thanks lot Sonu auntyji( I just pressumed u r an aunty as well, cos u called niro aunty, niro :lol: :lol: )

Did I say I am getiing bald, now :twisted: :lol: :lol: , no Sonu aunty, I am not getting bald, but my hair is thinning a lot, it could be due to the fact I wash it twice a day, do u think that could be cause of it?, BTW my dad is bald, but he had lot more hair than me, when he was my age, so he says :lol:[/tscii:84c28f563b]

Hair is lubricated by sebaceous glands that are located in the hair follicles which secretes an oily substance called Sebum. Sebum is a mixture of fat and the remains of dead fat-producing cells. As we know these cells are constantly being replaced by new growth at the base of the glands.

Normally the Sebum is deposited on the hairs inside the follicles and is brought up to the surface of the skin along the hair shaft. Sebum helps to lubricate and protects the hair and skin and prevents drying and irritation of membranes. Sebum may collect excessively as a result of poor hygiene or due to rich diet in fats or being active during adolescence (you have passed that stage now!) :rotfl:

Washing/shampooing your hair twice a day - you're not only cleaning off oils that you don't want on your scalp - you're also cleaning off oils that you DO want on your scalp. No wonder your hair is thinning which ultimately would lead to baldness!

Try massaging your head every day using your fingertips only (no nails) to get good blood circulation into your scalp. It really helps to a certain extend. Never use hair spray or gel - try to avoid putting anything in your hair except when you are oiling it before washing off. Blow dry your hair only when it’s absolutely necessary – like when you are going on a date!! :clap:

So now you should know Raghu, that washing your hair every day (notably TWICE a day!) is not a great idea. Try washing your hair every 2 to 3 days and condition it. Conditioning is important as it gives moisture to your hair and scalp. I follow this pattern esp. living in a tropical country like Malaysia and my hair always remains very clean and healthy. Balding? Never....touchwood!! :wink:

Note: Sorry for the late reply – quite busy and lazy!! :lol:

Aunty Sonu-ji :P

Shekhar
26th July 2005, 09:56 AM
[tscii][So now you should know Raghu, that washing your hair every day (notably TWICE a day!) is not a great idea. Try washing your hair every 2 to 3 days...

My God! washing hair ONCE in TWO - THREE days, that too in a tropical country!! My wife would divorce me or I would have a celebate life... :lol: :lol:

sonu gopi
27th July 2005, 09:49 AM
[tscii][So now you should know Raghu, that washing your hair every day (notably TWICE a day!) is not a great idea. Try washing your hair every 2 to 3 days...

My God! washing hair ONCE in TWO - THREE days, that too in a tropical country!! My wife would divorce me or I would have a celebate life... :lol: :lol:

What else to do? He would be completely bald at the rate he is washing his hair. :lol:

Furthermore most of us are in air-con rooms while at work and in cars too - so we won't have a chance to sweat too much to get an itchy head - (unless we visit the gym ) - at least 2 days gap - not to remove the natural oil.

I am sure your wife will stick by you - divorce for not washing hair? :rotfl:

SONU GOPI :P

Shekhar
27th July 2005, 09:56 AM
Sonu,

Elezabeth Taylor once divorced her husband for not washing her dog!! You can never tell with women!! :lol: :lol:

Badri
27th July 2005, 10:06 AM
Sonu,

Elezabeth Taylor once divorced her husband for not washing her dog!! You can never tell with women!! :lol: :lol:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

The legendary Shekarian wit!!

sonu gopi
27th July 2005, 11:24 AM
Sonu,

Great!! :rotfl: :rotfl: That is Elizabeth Taylor who is known for her umpteen marriages and countless divorces for the slightest excuse!! :lol:

If you wish to have your hair washed everyday pls. do but don't put the blame on your poor wife. :huh: Do you think we women are not that understanding (forget E.Taylor)? :roll:

Raghu
27th July 2005, 12:09 PM
[tscii:326156e210]

Did I say I am getiing bald, now :twisted: :lol: :lol: , no Sonu aunty, I am not getting bald, but my hair is thinning a lot, it could be due to the fact I wash it twice a day, do u think that could be cause of it?, BTW my dad is bald, but he had lot more hair than me, when he was my age, so he says :lol:[/tscii:326156e210]

Hair is lubricated by sebaceous glands that are located in the hair follicles which secretes an oily substance called Sebum. Sebum is a mixture of fat and the remains of dead fat-producing cells. As we know these cells are constantly being replaced by new growth at the base of the glands.

Normally the Sebum is deposited on the hairs inside the follicles and is brought up to the surface of the skin along the hair shaft. Sebum helps to lubricate and protects the hair and skin and prevents drying and irritation of membranes. Sebum may collect excessively as a result of poor hygiene or due to rich diet in fats or being active during adolescence (you have passed that stage now!) :rotfl:

Washing/shampooing your hair twice a day - you're not only cleaning off oils that you don't want on your scalp - you're also cleaning off oils that you DO want on your scalp. No wonder your hair is thinning which ultimately would lead to baldness!

Try massaging your head every day using your fingertips only (no nails) to get good blood circulation into your scalp. It really helps to a certain extend. Never use hair spray or gel - try to avoid putting anything in your hair except when you are oiling it before washing off. Blow dry your hair only when it’s absolutely necessary – like when you are going on a date!! :clap:

So now you should know Raghu, that washing your hair every day (notably TWICE a day!) is not a great idea. Try washing your hair every 2 to 3 days and condition it. Conditioning is important as it gives moisture to your hair and scalp. I follow this pattern esp. living in a tropical country like Malaysia and my hair always remains very clean and healthy. Balding? Never....touchwood!! :wink:

Note: Sorry for the late reply – quite busy and lazy!! :lol:

thanks sonu aunty ji, but there is always a woman behind men's baldness, some times women rather than woman, :lol: :lol:

am I correct shekar ji :lol: :lol:

Raghu
27th July 2005, 12:11 PM
Sonu,

Ji huh, they are indeed complicated specimen :lol: :lol:

NM
27th July 2005, 12:14 PM

thanks sonu aunty ji, but there is always a woman behind men's baldness, some times women rather than woman, :lol: :lol:

shekhar ji has expressed his desire to live in a world where a man can have at least 3 wives..... :lol: :lol: :lol: why?? perhaps he wants to be bald 3 times faster?? :lol:

Raghu
27th July 2005, 12:20 PM

shekhar ji has expressed his desire to live in a world where a man can have at least 3 wives..... :lol: :lol: :lol: why?? perhaps he wants to be bald 3 times faster?? :lol:

NM akka vanga romba nala ungala kaanom :roll:

NM
27th July 2005, 12:22 PM
naan ingE thaan irukkEn Raghu, aanaal, inthe thread-le ille.....PP-le....paadindu irukkEn! :lol: :lol:

dev
27th July 2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Raghu,chk ur pm...

Raghu
27th July 2005, 07:05 PM
Hey Raghu,chk ur pm...

aha vanthutaya vanthuta, glad 2 c u devuda devudau singapooru devuda :lol: :lol:

dev
27th July 2005, 07:27 PM
aaha...enna oru varaverppu...Thanks Raghu... :wink: