PDA

View Full Version : *Gujrathi/Rajsthani CUISINE*

rajsand
24th May 2005, 09:05 PM
[tscii:d7dbdd1a07]Everybody loves Gujrathi/Rajasthani food. Their masalas are very aromatic and mild too..!!
I love Tarladalal's recipes but havent got a range of gujrathi recipes. Please do post Gujrathi/Rajasthani specials for lot of mouth watering tongues..!!!

For a start I am posting Tarladalal's recipe which I make very often and though it takes a little time .. its awesome.

BHINDI SAMBHARIYA
Tender ladies fingers stuffed with besan and other spices make this traditional Gujarati dish a favourite. You can also stuff onions, potatoes, tendli in the same way. I often microwave this dish. This way, the bhindi stays fresh and green in colour and also cooks quickly.

Preparation Time : 10 mins. Cooking Time : 30 mins.
Serves 4.

Ingredients
250 grams bhindi (ladies fingers)
½ cup Bengal gram flour (besan)
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander-cumin seed (dhania-jeera) powder
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
1 tablespoon oil
salt to taste

Method
1. In a pan, combine the gram flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and salt and cook over a medium flame till it is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove, cool and add the sugar and coriander.
2. Trim the ends of the bhindi and slit them lengthwise.
3. Fill these slits with the roasted gram flour mixture and cut each bhindi into 25 mm. (1") long pieces.
4. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida.
5. Add the stuffed bhindi pieces and salt and cook, uncovered, over a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes till they are done.
6. Serve hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNDHIYO

This is my mother's recipe
My mother makes it a little different from the normal Undhiyo.
Usually muthias are dropped in the Undhiyo gravy, but I generally dont make muthias as they are time consuming.

Serves - 2

INGREDIENTS :
Fresh Methi Leaves - 1 bunch (washed and cut)
Ajwain (Omum) - 2 tsp
Brinjals - 3 small
Raw Banana - 1/2
Surti (Avvaraikai) - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Dhania Jeera pd - 1 tsp
Jaggery- 2 tsps

Gring to a paste
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Greenchillies - 4-5
Garlic - 3 big pods

Method :
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add ajwain seeds. Immediately add the cut methi leaves.
2. Cut vegetables into big pieces.
3. Stir for a minute and add the ground paste. Stir few secs and expect a good arome. If needed add more garlic (as per choice)
Then add brinjal, surti, raw banana.
4. Add salt, garam masala, dhania jeera pd.
5. Cover and pressure cook till one whistle.
6. When done , add Jaggery and dont mix rigourously as the vegetable will tend to get soggy.
And steamed Undhiyo is ready!!
Have hot with Rice or Chappatis. Goes well with rice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx and bye[/tscii:d7dbdd1a07]

rajsand
24th May 2005, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know if there is a special garam masala (or any masala) for gujrathi food. I remmember some ladies in India getting together to make masalas and Kakhras..
Thankyou

Ramanan
16th June 2005, 11:07 AM
I am looking for a traditional gujarati dal recipe served in marriage parties. It is somewhat thicker than the dal used in the household on a daily basis. And then I am looking for the cabbage kachumber - I think lightly cooked, with rail kurma and all, little yellowish in color. And the next recipe I am looking for is for the "kathol" which is the cereal - mug or masoor in a semi liquidi form.

Any traditional Gujarati - please share the knowledge of these wonderful items.

Shoba
16th June 2005, 01:54 PM
I am looking for a traditional gujarati dal recipe served in marriage parties. It is somewhat thicker than the dal used in the household on a daily basis. And then I am looking for the cabbage kachumber - I think lightly cooked, with rail kurma and all, little yellowish in color. And the next recipe I am looking for is for the "kathol" which is the cereal - mug or masoor in a semi liquidi form.

Any traditional Gujarati - please share the knowledge of these wonderful items.

Mr Hemant Trivedi, a regular hubber on this forum posts excellent Gujarati as well as other tasty & healthy recipes. Check out NAIVEDHYAM (Hemant's Cookery Corner) under this same Food Forum. If you run thro the threads you will find his own site...

Regards,
Shoba

rajsand
16th June 2005, 07:32 PM
HERE is TARLA DALAL's Gujrati Dal ..Never miss her recipes very unique and authentic. I have tried it many times and tastes just the same like Gujrati dal.
Not to forget, Hemantji's recipes are great too!!

GUJARATI DAL

A traditional recipe.
Cooking Time : 60 min.
Preparation Time : 10 min.
Serves 4 to 6.

Ingredients

2 cups toovar dal (arhar)
1 cup yam (suran), chopped
2 tablespoons peanuts
2 kharekh (optional) {I dont use this..}

Other ingredients

8 pieces cocum, soaked
{Kokum is like Tamarind.. Its very good for health. Its available in Indian stores and looks dark purple in color. Kokum juice reduces heat in the body}

1 tomato, chopped
50 grams jaggery (gur)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 piece ginger, diced
4 green chillies, slit
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)

For the tempering

1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek leaves (methi)
10 to 12 curry leaves
2 cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 small round red chillies (boriya)
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
2 tablespoons ghee
1 tablespoon oil
salt ot taste

For the garnish
4 tablespoons chopped coriander

Method

1. Wash and pressure cook the dal in 4 cups of water.
2. In another vessel, pressure cook the yam, peanuts and kharekh.
3. When the dal is cooked, cool slightly and blend till it is smooth.
4. Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and oil and adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, red chillies and asafoetida.
5. Add 3 cups of water, the cocum, tomato, jaggery, lemon juice, ginger, green chilli, chilli powder and turmeric powder and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the dal, yam pieces, peanuts, kharekh and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Serve hot garnished with coriander.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bye

dgunderia
17th June 2005, 11:34 PM
recipe for cabbage kachumber :

here is what I do..
Cut cabbage in thin strip. wash it and get most of the water out. Put some salt on it and with your hand mix it.. you will have to rub it hard enough so salt mixes in the cabbage well... this will release lot of water from cabbage.. keep for 10 -15 minutes like that..

put some oil in kadhai, mustard seed, jeera seeds, hing.. when seeds sputter, add some green chillies it in (chillies as per your heat capacity) and add cabbage to it (make sure before you add cabbage - you squeeze it enough to take the all the water out)

- for most part cabbage is almost cooked.. in 5 minutes - take it out from the stove. Ready to eat.. If need add black pepper.

it takes excellent with warm warm bhakri (chapati).

for variation - i add green capsicum strips too .. recipe is the same...

- i personally think, this recipe truly gives the flavour or sweetness of cabbage (and capsicum - if used)

enjoy..

dipti

dgunderia
17th June 2005, 11:54 PM
recipe for Khaman - Dhokla:

this is my mother in-law's recipe ... HAd worked for me all the time..
very straight forward recipe..

Khaman (also called dhokla - yellow diamonds)

you need:
Yellow Chana daal
1 inch piece of ginger
some salt
some sugar
baking soda (little)
green chillies
1 tsp yogurt (optional)
1 tsp shraded coconut (optional)

1 big container with cover, steel plate, - indian cooker is fine too - just do not use whistle.

soak chana daal overnight. (I have done khaman with 4 hrs of soaking too - I add hot water instead of cold water..)
grind it next morning (use very less water) - rough texture is better than the smooth texture..
add grated ginger, salt to taste, sugar to taste.
keep it for 5- 7 hours depening on the weather.. for cold winter i keep overnight for summer 5-7 hours is good.
mix it once again. taste it and add if you think it is missing something.. for most part you will have sourness.. if not add citic acid to get the sourness

once all ready - take some mix out in a bowl.. add 1 pinch of soda and mix it well... WELL is important - if the batter is already sour than by adding soda - chemical reaction will make the color little lighter and the batter will feel very light..

during this time the container with water/pressure cooker is ready with steam.. put the mixed up batter in it and spread it propery and put in the cooker... put the cover (no whistle) - cook for about 10 15 minutes (for 9 inch plate - 1 inch deep)

once done... take the plate out of the cooker and cool it down for another 10 -15 minute - very important so you can make/cut diamonds properly..

once diamonds are all cut - put oil/mustanr/jeera/green pepper/liquid yogurt - vaghar on it..

sprinkle coconut on it.. and it is ready to eat...

I make this too often and not very particular on the measurement.. I tried my best to get the measurement.. hope this helps else send me an emai and i will be able to guide...

Enjoy
dipti

apujittu
18th June 2005, 12:15 AM
Hi dgunderia,
Can we use besan (bengal gram flour) directly instead of soaking & grinding . (ie) instant Dhokla....if you have the recipe for it can u post it....I know they use besan & rava, but I need the proportion & the recipe for it.

apujittu
18th June 2005, 12:18 AM
Hi rajsand,
What does UNDHIYO & muthias mean?

rajsand
18th June 2005, 01:48 AM
Hello apujittu
Undhiyo is an authentic gujrathi side dish served in most of the weddings. You can have it with chappatis/puri or even rice.
Muthias are small ghatte like balls made of besan and methi and either deep fried or steamed. They are then dipped into the undhiyo. The taste varies vastly with and without Muthias..its a lot more tastier with it.
Hope its clear
Good luck

foodlover123
20th June 2005, 03:11 AM
hey rajsand...i had this gujarati colleague in office and his wife used to pack him some amazing khichdi...now I have never had this type of khichdi..it had some yellow dal and tomatoes in it also.
I am not too sure if it is typical gujarati or her wife just was an excellent cook :)....can you help me here with the recipe?

foodlover123
20th June 2005, 03:11 AM
hey rajsand...i had this gujarati colleague in office and his wife used to pack him some amazing khichdi...now I have never had this type of khichdi..it had some yellow dal and tomatoes in it also.
I am not too sure if it is typical gujarati or her wife just was an excellent cook :)....can you help me here with the recipe?

Niranjana
20th June 2005, 08:40 AM
I tried Gujju food, when I had been to Delhi. I found it too sweet! They poured sweet jaggery water into the rice, while I thought it was ghee! But I liked the dal.

rajsand
20th June 2005, 06:43 PM
Hello foodlover
Khichdi's are of a variety. And I dont know of a khichdi with tomato. Please find out of it was the same and meanwhile I will send you a recipe of khichdi ..
Bye

R
20th June 2005, 06:46 PM
When we were in UAE, we too used to had this dal kitchidi (jeera, moong dal and maybe tomato or other spices) in a gujarati restaurant(Anand).

We used to visit there every Monday just for this kitchidi and their Baingan bartha..

dgunderia
21st June 2005, 08:42 PM
Hi apujittu

You can make dhokla from besan flour .. But I do not like it.. it is too smooth for the texture ... I do not make that way..
sorry I do not have the recipe either..

Ramanan
21st June 2005, 10:51 PM
Thank you to Rajsand for the dal recipe. I tried it and it was very good - just the taste I was looking for. And DGunderia, thank you also for the kachumber recipe. I have yet to try it.

Ramanan

dsankaran
28th June 2005, 12:22 AM
Rajsand,

Thanks a lot for the dal recipe. I made it for my son's B'day party and it was a big hit.. Full of flavor but not too hot. My kids ate it too. This is definitely a keeper.

I don't know what Kharekh is and did not use it. Did not use Suran too as I did not have it.

- D

tomato
28th June 2005, 08:56 AM
Once Sanjeev Kapoor used a kind of greens called 'Khatti Bhaaji' in a dish- "sindhi sai bhaaji'. The main ingredients were palak, khatti bhaaji, potatoes and chana dhal.
Could someone tell me what is Khatti bhaji called in English and if possible give a breif description of the greens. (when shown on 'Khana khazana' the leaves were finely chopped so I could not make out what they were.)

R
29th June 2005, 01:45 AM
Hello Rajsand,

Since you are from Gujarat (am i right?), hope you can clear my doubt-got this sweet recipe called sukhadi from one of my Gujarati friend long time back.

This is totally different from the traditional one like basic ingredients wheat flour, jaggery & ghee, they have added ricotta cheese, guntar. Whenever I add cheese, it is getting melted and the wheat flour mixture does not absorb it at all though stir it strongly.

Many south indian sweet recipes which contains ghee use to absorb if you stir the mixture strongly; but, here dont know why-becoz of cheese ?

Since she has moved out of the country, could not keep in touch with my friend.

Hope you or anyone from Gujarat can help me out!!

Thanks in advance.

rajsand
30th June 2005, 02:28 AM
Hi R
I am sorry about this doubt but I have never used Ricotta Cheese and have no idea. Try using Ghee.. sweets turn out well with ghee
Good luck anyways
rajsand

R
30th June 2005, 02:37 AM
That is ok..I used ghee also to melt the jaggery and fried guntar in ghee, as mentioned by my Gujarati friend.

thanks anyway for responding.

chefvasu
30th June 2005, 02:50 AM
Hi R,

Yes, I'm Gujarati.
I never made Sukhadi with ricotta cheese.
I think, if you want to use ricotta cheese to make sukhadi, first take out all water from the cheese or you can take ricotta cheese in the pan and with slow to medium gas. Let is burn all water. Make sure it doesn't stick to pan. Keep mixing it.
You will find sukhadi's receipe with Dhaba receipe. Follow the receipe.
When you add roasted wheat flour, add ricotta cheese too. also, same time add some milk powder. (ricotta cheese and milk powder will make the mawa(khoya).
So, you can say sukhadi with mawa.
With out ricotta cheese, sukhadi can stay outside for long time.
Sukhadi is best and healthy food for young growing kids. (better than candy)
I hope this will help you.

R
30th June 2005, 02:59 AM
Thanks, chefvasu for explaining.

Can u mention the qty for mawa? And, I was told to add ricotta cheese, guntar at the last stage i.e. after frying wheat flour in the jaggery syrup. So, it is not water that comes out from the syrup. Just the cheese which is not getting absorbed emits from the sweet(can feel the stickiness).

After putting into the plate, I am just transferring all the cheese to a separate vessel. It is like that cheese is getting melted and does not go into the sukhadi mixture.

Anyways, will implement yr method when I make it next time. Pls remember to give me the measurement for all the ingredients.

Thanks a lot and Bye.

chefvasu
30th June 2005, 09:40 PM
Hi R,

What is Gunter? You mean Gunder?
If you clear this quary, may be I can help you.

R
30th June 2005, 09:57 PM
Guntar is edible gum; was told that guntar is a gujarati word for gum and pls excuse if it is wrong..

chefvasu
30th June 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi everybody,

I like to post Amdavadi pani puri's pani.
This receipe I learn from Bhiyaji....
1 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup cilantro
3 green chilli
1 tsp lemon juice
salt
Make a paste with adding little water. To make a paste, I always use the food processor. Mix the lemon juice and salt.
This will help to keep the paste long time and also will help to keep the green color.
NOTE:
You can make more paste during summer, because of mint. And freeze it in the Freezer.

To make pani:

Black salt, salt, lemon juice, roasted jeera powder, cut cilantro and mint paste.
Take one lt. water. Add 1 tsp black salt, salt to taste., 3tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp jeera powder, and 1/4 cup of cut cilanto. Mix the 2/3 part of mint paste too.

Taste the water. You can adjust the taste.

For Amdavadi, pani's main ingredient is mint paste and black salt.

Pototo masala.

Boiled messed pototo (2 cups)
Red boiled chana (1 cup)
1/3 part of Mint paste
salt
cut cilantro 3tbs
roasted jeera powder - 1/2 tsp

Mix very well with hand.

R
30th June 2005, 10:08 PM
Whoever has a tested recipe for mohanthal sweet & the traditional gujarati kitchdi, pls do post them here..

Thanks and Regards.

chefvasu
30th June 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi R
So, I'm right. Gunter and Gunder is the same word.
If you use the Gunter to make sukhadi, in Gujarati we called, VASANA. That means, during the winter, people eat for health.
Secially, married women or new mom eats.

To use gunter, Take some ghee in the pan with medium to low gas. add the gunter. Keep mixing it. When it starts bubbling, take from the pan. keep it a side.
Follow the Sukhadi's receipe. When you add roasted wheat flour and mava, same time add the gunter too.

Mix very well and quickly. Follow the same method, as I mentioned before.

I will post the receipe for mava soon.

R
1st July 2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the explanation..will try next time..

But, have a tiny doubt-what is the final stage color for frying guntar in ghee(brown or white)? Whenever put in ghee, the size is becoming bigger; but, while eating, could felt the stickiness in one or two places and also while pounding, could not do it with one or two guntars!

Thanks a lot once again and try to answer my requests, if possible.

Bye.

chefvasu
1st July 2005, 01:42 AM
Hi R,

Gunter color should be pinkies.
Its better you use the powder Gunter.
My mom was use to pound the Gunter years back. But now a days
powder is avialable in the store.

When you mix in the last with roasted wheat flour and mava, make sure you mix very well and quickly.

chefvasu
1st July 2005, 01:54 AM
Pani Puri's Puri:

3 cups of Rava/Soji
3 pinch of baking soda (3 small pinch)
Water

Mix rava and soda very well. Add water and make the dough like Rotli. Cover it and keep it for one hour.
After one hour, knead the dough again with some water(soji drinks water). Again make a dough like Roti dough.
Make very small like marble size pieces. If dough is sticking to your finger, use few drops of oil, rub in your pam.
Keep the ball cover with the muslin cloth. If it is very dry weather, then wet the cloth and take all water out from the cloth. Then use it.
Now, start pressing the puri and deep fry with medium high gas.
Until its cool down, keep it open. Store in air tight container.

My hubby always helps me to press the puri and make the ball.

For pressing and frying it does not take long time.
May be first time, you don't get good result.
But once, you will learn to make puri at home, you will feel good about it.

R
1st July 2005, 03:12 AM
Hello chefvasu,

Guess that it is difficult to find out powder guntar; when I was searching for the same, could be able to find out this whole guntar in one Gujarati shop which looks like a small shiny stones. In some Indian shops, they did not even recognize that word!!

Anyways, thanks for yr time.

tomato
1st July 2005, 09:24 AM
Hello chefvasu,
Thank you for sharing the panipuri-puri recipe. I've tried to make it many times with dif combinations of rava, rice flour, atta ect. But never got good results. Most of the time they did not turn out crisp and brittle but soggy. I will fol ur instructios and let u know soon.

fortune
23rd July 2005, 12:53 AM
hi chefvasu,
tried your recipe for making pani puris .though it was a flop the first time , it turned out good the second time.
i would request you to post the recipe for masala chai if possible. though i learnt from a gujarati friend , but forgot the exact proportion.
thanks in advance

dlaxmi16
23rd July 2005, 01:18 AM
Hi,

Can anyone post the recipe of mohanthal..i tried making it , it didn't turn out well...i dunno where i went wrong..it turned out more like a halwa rather than a barfi type..

Thanx :)

chefvasu
28th July 2005, 11:19 PM
Hi R,

In Gujarati, we call it Gunder. If you ask any Indian store, they will have it. Yes it is very small & shiny stone/powder.

Sorry for the delay.

rain
28th July 2005, 11:35 PM
hi rajasand,

i tried ur recipe of bhindi sambhriya and dal.both came out very well esp.the bhindi dish.thank u lots.!regards,

rain

chefvasu
28th July 2005, 11:36 PM
Hi Fortune,
I'm glad that Pani puri turn out good for you.

Here is the Chai's receipe for you.
Everybody makes chai a different way .

I use half water and half milk (Vitamin D).
Add 1/8 tsp chai masala. Sugar to taste.

Some different ingredients you can use it too.

If you like Mint flavor, add some mint leaves.

If you like Ginger taste, take 1" piece of ginger, crush the ginger and add to chai. I notice that, some people, add ginger when chai comes up/starts boiling. In a gujarati we called that 'Ubharo'.
Once the chai starts boiling, turn the gas on low heat. You can keep it on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Its all depends on how strong chai you like to drink.
I use loose tea. For one big cup of tea, I use 1 plasitc spoon of tea.

Enjoy your Chai!!

chefvasu
28th July 2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Fortune,

If you are making 1 big cup of chai, use 1/4" of ginger.
For one cup of chai, 1" ginger is too much.

Also, mint and ginger chai good for sickness like cold, cough and fever.

I hope this will help you to enjoy the Chai!!!!!

rain
29th July 2005, 12:00 AM
hello chefvasu,

good to see ur ginger chai recipe.also i have some ginger powder do u think i can substitute in the recipe.if so,how much shud i put for 2?

rain

chefvasu
29th July 2005, 12:09 AM
Here is the easiest way to make Guvar nu shak.

I use frozen guvar- you can find at Indian store.

One bag frozen guvar
Ajamo - 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp (all depends how strong flavor you like)
Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Dhania powder - 1 tsp
sugar - 1 tsp
Red chillie powder - 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste.
chana flour - 2 tbs
Dahi/yogurt - 1/4 cup
oil - 2 tbs

Take oil in the pan, when oil gets little warm, add ajamo.
Add 1/4tsp red chilli powder and Haldi. Same time add frozen guvar. I always add salt after the vagar and top of vegitable. This way, you get even taste of salt. As well as you don't have to add water.
Cover it and cook on medium heat. Mix after five minutes. This time, if you need you can add very little water.
Other side, mix the chana flour and yogurt very well.
When,guvar is almost cooked, add this mixture. Add red chille powder, sugar, dhaniya powder.
Cook for few more minutes. If you want more gravy/rasso, add some water.
This shak will go very well with Roti, paratha or Bhakari.
If you like without gravy, You can omit, yogurt mixture.

This is very easy to make. I learn this one from my Patel friend. She also put some crushed garlic. If you like Garlic, its taste very good.

fortune
29th July 2005, 02:44 AM
thanks a ton chefvasu.

rajsand
29th July 2005, 10:02 AM
Hello rain
No problem . I just posted Tarla Dalal's recipe. She is my fav chef and I can very confidently count on her recipes.. they come out exactly the same way as expected.
I will try and post more of her recipes.
Bye
rajsand

dev
29th July 2005, 12:37 PM
Hi,

can anyone pls let me know what guvar is, in tamil... & ajamo too...

ash_970
29th July 2005, 06:58 PM
Hello Rajsand,

I am very pleased to see your initiative to start GUJARATI/RAJASTHANI recipes.
Great to see peoples interest and enthu for foods from different culture...keep it up I will sure come with my queries.
Hemant bhai will feel happy to see your section...wish he can join the forum at some stage

Great job...keep it up... Bhargavi and Mrs. Mano have already proved themselves as the leading lights of this forum

chefvasu
29th July 2005, 11:12 PM
Hello Rain,

If you are using Chai Masala, it already have dry ginger powder. Between Powder and fresh ginger, you will find different taste and aroma.
If you have chai masala, you can mix some powder with masala.This way, you will have strong masala. Will help for cold, cough and fever. During summer, you are not going to enjoy strong taste of masala.
For 2 cup of chai, I think you can put 2 pinch of ginger powder plus chai masala.

chefvasu
29th July 2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Dev,

Kothavara is Guvar/ Govar
Omum is Ajamo/Ajwain/Oregano

This name I found from Hemant Trivedi's website.
Thanks Hemantbhai.

dev
29th July 2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks chefvasu... & can u pls post a few pulav varieties that r quick & easy to make... I hate being in the kitchen for too long...but love experimenting recipies that r quick & easy to make...Am a real lazy cook...So,incase U've recipes for ppl like me,do post it here... :wink: :)

Thanks in adv...

fortune
2nd August 2005, 01:38 AM
hi chefvasu,
u had mentioned about using tortilla press for making pani puris .

1.are they really useful since i am planning to buy one

2.how thick should the puris be before frying .

thanks.

chefvasu
2nd August 2005, 02:35 AM
I can understand your confusion to buy the machine.
Here what I do. I make pani puri and regular puri with this machine.
Remember one thing, may be first time you want get good panipuri, but once you learn, you will enjoy it.

Put at least 4 samll ball with distance and press two times.
My hubby does good job for this.

I prefer dough like roti dough. If dough is like roti dough, and when you press, its very easy. It will give you big and thin puri.

chefvasu
2nd August 2005, 02:48 AM
This is way I make Rice for pulav.

Take one cup of Basmati rice. Rinse three time. Add water up to my first finger line. First Finger's top should touch the rice.

I use sandwich bottom pan to make rice. On high gas let it cook. When its start bubbling, turn the gas low and cover the pan. If water comes out, than open the cover very little. After few minute, cover the pan. Check after five minutes. Take some rice and press. If you press it than rice is ready. If you see any water lets keep few more minutes on the gas. If you like desi ghee, add some ghee when it water is bubbling.
This way you will have rice very good. You can seperate each rice grain.
I'm very use to make rice this way. I even don't have to check rice is cook or not.
This is only practice. Stay on one receipe. Don't try every time different receipe to make rice.
Next time I will write some pulav receipe.

rajsand
3rd August 2005, 07:17 PM
Hello
Great work by chefvasu for keeping this thread active and going!!
Good work and I appreciate your replies.. they are very good
I would like to post more of Tarla ji's recipes but held up a bit..
Will do it soon
Good luck
rajsand

chefvasu
3rd August 2005, 11:00 PM
Jeera Rice

Take 1 tbsp ghee in small pan. Heat the ghee. Add 1/2 tsp jeera. Some people like jeera, all roasted like black. Let it get black. Turn off the gas. Just pour this mixture on top of cooked rice. Before serving, just mix it.

Clove, Tamalpatra (Bay Leaf) rice

Take 1 tbsp ghee in small pan. Heat the ghee. Add 7/8 clove, few leaves of Tamalpatra. When Clove starts popping, turn off the gas and pour the mixture on top of cooked rice.
Before serving, you can mix this very well.

Same way you can make Raisin and Cashew rice, Peas rice,
Green chillies Rice.

This kind of rice goes very well with Gujarati Dal,Punjabi curry or Kadhi.

Kids can eat only rice too.

chefvasu
3rd August 2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Rajsand,

For everyday cooking, I just like to use my "Masala Dabba", which have dhania powder, cumin seeds, Ajwain, red chille powder, Muster seeds, Haldi and curry patta.

I'll try to post very easy and limited ingredients receipe.
This way we will have easy and healthy receipe too.

Ramanan
16th October 2005, 12:52 AM
Hello

Can some one give the traditional recipe for Dudhi nu rasaa walu shak (Bottle gourd gravy curry) made in Gujarati homes.

Also the recipe for rasa walu bataku nu shak (with unpeeled bataka i.e. potato with skin).

Is tomato traditioanlly used in the above recipes?

Thanks, Ramanan

rain
17th October 2005, 10:38 PM
hello rajsand,

tried ur style of undhiyo.jus added yam and reduced the ajwain .it was tasty.and quick too.thanks for posting!!

regards,
rain

rajsand
18th October 2005, 01:17 AM
[tscii:abf3c955c6]Hello rain
glad u liked it!!
There's also another way of doing it.. Add less of greenchillies and add red chilli pd instead.. the taste and feel is very different!!
good luck and enjoy cooking!!

Posting few recipes of Tarlaji

METHI NA DHEBRA

A delicious snack made with fenugreek leaves and bajra flour.

Cooking Time : 30 min.
Preparation Time : 10 min.

Serves 4.
Ingredients

2 cups fenugreek leaves (methi), chopped
1 cup millet flour (bajre ka atta)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 tablespoon Bengal gram flour (besan)
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
1/4 teaspoon semolina (rawa)
1/2 cup fresh curds
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste

Other ingredients
oil for cooking

Method
1. Combine all the ingredients to make a soft dough, adding waster if required.
2. Divide into equal portions and roll out into circles of 100 mm. (4") diameter.
3. Cook on both sides on a tava till golden brown, using a little oil.
4. Serve with tea.

=-=========================

SOYA SESAME KHAKHRA

Makes 6 khakhras.

Ingredients

½ cup soya flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (til), black and white
salt to taste

Method
1. Sprinkle salt on the methi leaves and keep aside for 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Combine all the ingredients and knead into a firm dough using enough water if required.
3. Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes and divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
4. Roll out each portion into large circles of 150 mm. (6") in diameter.
5. Cook each one on a non-stick tava (griddle), over a low flame pressing each side with a cloth to make the khakhras crisp.
6. Cool and store in an air-tight container.

==========================================

[/tscii:abf3c955c6]

rajsand
18th October 2005, 01:19 AM
[tscii:e313a912ad]some more of tarlaji's recipes

PANCHKUTYU SHAAK
Serves 10

Ingredients

½ cup French beans, string and cut into 25 mm. (1") pieces
½ cup turia (ridge gourd), peeled and sliced
½ cup kand (purple yam) peeled and cubed
½ cup green peas, boiled
6 to 8 baby potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
2 teaspoons ginger-green chilli paste
a pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
2 teaspoons coriander-cumin seed (dhania-jeera) powder
½ cup coconut, grated,
½ cup chopped coriander
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste

For the methi muthia

¼ cup fenugreek (methi) leaves
¼ cup Bengal gram flour (besan)
½ tablespoons whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
½ teaspoon ginger-green chilli paste
a pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
oil for deep frying

For the methi muthia
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead them together to make a soft dough (add water only and if required).
2. Divide into 8 to 10 equal parts and shape into small cylindrical rolls.
3. Deep fry in hot oil over a medium flame. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.

How to proceed
1. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds.
2. When they crackle, add the asafoetida.
3. Add all the vegetables, except the peas, salt, turmeric powder, ginger-green chill paste, coriander-cumin seed powder and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer till the vegetables are almost cooked and the water has almost dried out.
5. Add the peas, muthia, sugar, coconut and coriander to the boiling vegetable and cook for 5 to 7 minutes till the muthias are soft.

==============================================
[/tscii:e313a912ad]

rain
19th October 2005, 02:52 AM
hi rajsand,

hey,thanks for posting the recipies.i rarely get methi here but enjoy it's taste.so hope to try these in sometime.

take care
rain

chefvasu
20th October 2005, 12:25 AM
Anybody like to share the recipe of Diwali special food like, Mathia, Farshi Puri, Suvari, ghughra, dry kachori, fulvadi, thikhi sev, chorafali fafda with mint chutney.........

Thattai
7th November 2005, 09:11 AM
Hi!

Can anyone help me out with a recipe for cooking mooli with the leaves? I used to have a gujju cook who made a subzi with the same which used to be really delicious. But never got the recipe from her. I think she also used besan in that.

Anyways, similar or any other recipes would be really welcome. Also, please include tips on preparation of the leaves as I think that they tend to be bitter.

Thanks,

Thattai