PDA

View Full Version : Favourite food

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 12:29 PM
Guys ! tired of serious discussions and "locked up" and "to be deleted " threads.
Lets discuss the quintissential "Soathu prachinai" (eng :translation; food problem).
When I was a kid (trus me I was , once upon a time), I had a big crush on the following dishes which my granny used to make.
1. Milagu Rasam.(APJ Abdul Kamal's fave)
2. Sundakkai Vathhakozhambu (I donno english translation)
3. Thakkali Sambar (tomato sambar)
4. Araikeerai and Molai Keerai (some variety of spinaches)
5. Manjal Karisilanganni keerai (another spinach variety good for Jaundice patients, I took it when I had jaundice when I was a kid) Where is this plant nowadays?
6. MoarKuzhambu (curd sambaar?)
7. Arisi Appalam
8. Urula kizhangu kari (potato fry)
9. Kathirikkai Kari (brinjal kari- very spicy)
10. moar milagai

The greatest fun of all is to sit in a circle around my granny along with my cousins and brother, listening to Ramayan and Mahabaratham(edited, distilled and censored version). The food tasted million times better this way(why?).
I am looking forward to hearing hubbers' experience on their favourite food and how best they enjoyed it with their family and friends.

Though this thread seems to be too south indian, hubbers from all around the world are welcome to pitch in with their experiences. :lol:
walrus and aakash - idhu eppadi irukku?

scorpio
31st May 2005, 12:33 PM
JG,

What is the criterion to participate in this thread?? Should we be jobless, senseless and utterly useless to discuss about thayir saadam too???

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 12:38 PM
akka!
criterion is you must be having a mouth to eat and food that you had eaten or have that you eat everyday. Plus memories of your fave food. Ideal lunchtime topic this... So u like lemon pickle along with curd rice. It is a side dish to so many delicacies ... :wink:

NM
31st May 2005, 12:41 PM
Innoru useful thread-a??
Nalla irukku thambingelode!
Anyway, what is Maavadu? U've listed all veg stuff..are you vegetarian?

OK, my list is

i) Nasi lemak (coconut rice) with prawn gravy or nethili gravy
Best eaten hot and wrapped in banana leaf! Yummy. All the
koluppu is showing in my waistline now! :lol:
ii) Noodle soup; curry mee (noodle)
iii) Fried bee hoon (best fried with prawns!)
iv) Uppuma..
v) Milagu resam with sardine sambal (gravy)
vi) Anything with urulai kilanggu!!
vii) thirukke meen curry
viii) meen (fish) curry with the small 'pulichakkaai'!!
and last but not least, nasi goreng with prawns (fried rice)...

Hmm....vaay uruthu ithellam sollembOthu!!

More to come...!
When we watch TV, we will eat 'keropok" which is actually prawn or fish crackers!!
:wink:

NM
31st May 2005, 12:42 PM
And of course all the indian variation...thosai with thaengaai chutney, idli, paratha (roti chanai) with chicken curry!!

Deepavali - will be with aattu (mutton) curry, kurma, with idiappam..!

a.ratchasi
31st May 2005, 12:59 PM
NM, at least you are being thoughtful of non-vegetarians.
We are always sidelined by the masses everywhere. :cry: :cry:
Such inequality should be stopped by all means.

We too have feelings, you know.

By the way, you forgot nasi lemak with rendang ayam. :D

a.ratchasi
31st May 2005, 01:02 PM
or or with sotong sambal, nasi kandar, or......nevermind :D

NM
31st May 2005, 01:03 PM
NM, at least you are being thoughtful of non-vegetarians.
We are always sidelined by the masses everywhere. :cry: :cry:
Such inequality should be stopped by all means.

We too have feelings, you know.

By the way, you forgot nasi lemak with rendang ayam. :DOooh! How could I miss rendang?????? Hmm yummy!!

I know...i feel guilty listing out non-veg stuff..but, what to do....I am a meat-eater!! :lol:

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 01:38 PM
Non Veg or Ve, that doesn't matter. All that matters is the experience of eating. Who is serving and how they make it. Many times, my mother will make only a rasam and appalam. However hungry you are, if she serves with Love, even humble rasam will taste like divine ambrosia or amudham. That is why some people call "Rasam" as "Saathamudhu", meaning divine nectar of food.
It it is also true that Rasam is the best appetizer in the food world IMHO.
My Bihari friend always craves for Fish. Fortunately for him when we were in Orlando, there were so many carribean fish outlets, that he ate some 20 varieties of fish in the nine months we were there.

coming back to leaf eaters, I used to enjoy the karisilanganni keerai, which I have heard people saying as very good for the liver. My mother used to prepare it along with dal (urad dal i think) and ghee. It was so delicious. another favourite that my granny used to cook was Paagakkai Pitle(not to be confused with mandakkai, it is Bittergourd). It was another dish from heaven which tasted thousand times more when my granny served it in her own hands.

Neeharika
31st May 2005, 01:41 PM
Vatha kozhambu is best...but don't know how to cook :roll:

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 01:45 PM
neeharika big fan of "yaar payyan"?
It should be "Maaganam porundhiya Sreeman Sundar raajan".
:lol:

Neeharika
31st May 2005, 02:22 PM
neeharika big fan of "yaar payyan"?
It should be "Maaganam porundhiya Sreeman Sundar raajan".

Thank You :D i will change

scorpio
31st May 2005, 02:25 PM
hey,

it is 'Mahaganam' not 'maagaanam'..

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 02:34 PM
enna scorpio akka!
chennai veyilukku kuzandhaingalukku enna kudukkareenga afternoonle?
(eng translation: Hey sis, what lunch for the kids for chennai hot summer?).
Dont tell me it is Aavakkai ooorgai saadham and vadam + thayir saadham.

Aavakkai oorugaai is the "spiciest " pickle in my opinion. It has got a bewitching taste, which you can't just eat once and let go. You keep on eating. Very dangerous stuff.

BTW How is mango sales in Chennai? Have the Banganapalli mangoes come on sale?

scorpio
31st May 2005, 02:37 PM
enna scorpio akka!
chennai veyilukku kuzandhaingalukku enna kudukkareenga afternoonle?
(eng translation: Hey sis, what lunch for the kids for chennai hot summer?).
Dont tell me it is Aavakkai ooorgai saadham and vadam + thayir saadham.

Aavakkai oorugaai is the "spiciest " pickle in my opinion. It has got a bewitching taste, which you can't just eat once and let go. You keep on eating. Very dangerous stuff.

BTW How is mango sales in Chennai? Have the Banganapalli mangoes come on sale?

ennavo Chennai-pakkam varaatha maadiri enna kekkariye? Un fiancee inge irukarathaala, ovvoru Friday-um Blore lernthu kelambi inge thaane vara?
Banganapalli season mudinju rumaani and neelam vara poguthu thambi.. konjam kanavulagathulernthu nija ulagathukku vaa...

NM
31st May 2005, 02:38 PM
What is Banganapilli mango? Is it the "elephant task'??

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 02:45 PM
Not every weekend akka!
only alternate weekends ad leading up to the marriage i will go to chennai only on June 11th .
I hate Rumaani mangoes, they have less flesh, more juice and fibre. Neelam is good.Recently in Bangalore HOPCOMS had mango festival and sold rare alphonso mangoes too.
NM Banganapalli is a village in Andhra. It is very famous for the most delicious mango IMHO.
Malgova mangoes from Salem are also very good and I rate them #2.

dev
31st May 2005, 03:43 PM
JG,

Have U tried 'Malliga' mangoes... We get it in B'lore in may/june... It'll be available only for a short period of time(around a month)... Hopcoms la kidaikum... try panni paarunga...

Cinefan
31st May 2005, 03:54 PM
How can you people forget the 'Raspuri'kind.I bought this&Malgova from the wholesale market near Singsandra.Very delicious.The vendor there also introduced me to a variety called 'Khuda dhud'.There are very big&tastes pretty sweet.

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 04:06 PM
Malliga mangoes. I will remember that the next time i visit hopcoms.
Raspuri! another juicy one.
I had a mango called "Danish" mangoes. They were also very big, fleshy and tasty. for three days last month I had only mangoes for dinner.

However nothing like granny cutting mango pieces into beautiful shapes and sharing it among all of us in the family. We used to eat it along with curd rice.
My mother also used to make "Mango kuzhambu". It is more or less like the vatha kozhambu (sambar) but with one full fleshy banganapalli in it. Very very tasty... yummmyy.

Cinefan
31st May 2005, 04:20 PM
Here in Karnataka,they do a dish called 'Srikharni'with mangoes.it's like kheer&is generally eaten with puris.Rajvardhan foods in Jayanagar 9th block serves this under the name of 'aam ras puri'.Try it out.

jaiganes
31st May 2005, 05:01 PM
There is also the famous Andhra Taanra. Very delicious. Whenever I stop by Vijayawada in summer, I grab some.

Raghu
31st May 2005, 06:26 PM
Yenpa Jai Ganesh anNe

Ungaluku saapadai vitaa veru kathiye illayaa :wink: :lol: :lol:

Just joking :D

Any way, I love anything hot, esp chana curries, I make sure when ever I cook, I put no less than 25 Green Chillies, in that way, ONLY I will eat that :lol: :lol:

aravindhan
31st May 2005, 06:52 PM
Any way, I love anything hot, esp chana curries, I make sure when ever I cook, I put no less than 25 Green Chillies, in that way, ONLY I will eat that :lol: :lol:
You will like the recipes in Meenakshi Ammal's "Samaitthu paar" series of books, then. Her recipes typically call for 6-8 green chillies, 8-10 red chillies, and a few spoons of chilli powder.

Raghu
31st May 2005, 06:56 PM
You will like the recipes in Meenakshi Ammal's "Samaitthu paar" series of books, then. Her recipes typically call for 6-8 green chillies, 8-10 red chillies, and a few spoons of chilli powder.

Aravindhan,

Are they available world wide or just in India?

NM
1st June 2005, 06:42 AM
JG thanks for yr explanation.

Wow...all these talk of mangoes is very mouthwatering...! I simple love mangoes, raw or cooked! Mom makes very good "mango patchadi"..yummy when eaten with sambar!

In Thailand, they have mango that is green and hard but very sweet, not sour at all. This mango is thinly sliced and then mixed with ponded ground nut, dried shrimps and small chillies (also thinly sliced). They would then put this mixture on deep-fried fish. It really taste yummy when you eat fish plus the mixture!!!!

Badri
1st June 2005, 07:42 AM
Cha! I can't believe only one more person besides me has cast a vote for Vathakuzhambu!!!

Have you ever eaten vathakuzhambu the next day morning, with cold curds on rice!! Yummm!!

My grandmom (miss her badly) used to tell me a story of this sundakkai which was to become vathakuzhambu ingredient and ended up catching a theif instead, while giving my brother and me handfuls of this "jill" curd rice and vathakuzhambu!!

Vathakuzhambu is one of those things that improve with age (not too much age, just the next day!)

Slurp and sigh!

ramraghav
1st June 2005, 09:31 AM
[tscii:dd077965c9]jai ganes super thread pa
±í¸ Å£ðÊÄ À¡ðÊ ´Õ ¦Àâ ƒ¡Ê墀 Á¡ÅÎ §À¡ðÎ ¦ÅÕôÀ¡
¾¢ÉÓõ Áò¾¢Â¡Éõ ¾Â¢÷ º¡¾õ, Á¡ÅÎ
«Ê츧ŠÓÊ¡Ð

«ôÒÈÁ¡ ºÉ¢-»¡Â¢Ú ¬îÍÉ¡ «õÁ¡ ¾Â¢÷ º¡¾õ À¢º¢ïÍ ¨¸Ä À¢ÊîÍ À¢ÊîÍ ¦¸¡ÎôÀ¡. «ÐÄ ¿Î×Ä ´Õ º¢ýÉ ÌÆ¢× ¦ºïÍ º¡õÀ¡÷ Å¢ðÎ º¡ôÀ¢Î§Å¡õ.............«¦¾øÄ¡õ ´Õ ¸¡Äõ[/tscii:dd077965c9]

NM
1st June 2005, 09:36 AM
Inthe maavadu enna-nu enakku teriyele :cry:

Badri
1st June 2005, 09:46 AM
NM: maavadu is raw small mangais in brine and chili or sometimes in pickle base (with oil, spices etc)! Maavadu and thayir sadam is a marriage that was definitely made in heaven, although vathakuzhambu thayir sadam would probably be God's favorite!!

When you come to Melbourne, I will get you some maavadu! Then you'll know what you've missed. Surely, Indian stores in Malaysis would have mavadu pickle?

NOV
1st June 2005, 09:47 AM
Inthe maavadu enna-nu enakku teriyele :cry:it's a kind of oorukkaa NM.

Here, you can try it yourself too...

tender mangoes - 4 cups
salt - 1/2 cup,
mustard seeds - 6 tsp,
red chillies - 6,
turmeric powder - 1 tsp

Grind mustard seeds, crystalline salt, red chillies and turmeric powder into a thick paste.
Wash the tender mangoes, drain and pour a tsp of castor oil and mix over it. Then spread the ground paste on it.

For the next 2-3 days shake the mangoes well once every day.

Store in air tight containers in refrigerator. This will last for about one year.

NM
1st June 2005, 09:52 AM
Nov & Badri - thanks for the info.

Perhaps they have Badri..but have never heard of it nor tasted it!
Thambi.....naan September-le varuvaen.....angge santhippOm! :wink: :D

Nov- will try the recipe when i can get hold of some mangoes! Hmmm anything with mango, esp oorukkai vithem is my fav!! :D

scorpio
1st June 2005, 10:13 AM
Nm,

For Maavadu, the variety of tender mango used decides the taste to a large extent. The readily available maavadu pickles in super markets do not use 'Rumaani' vadus but something else that fall below in taste. Tender rumaani vadus give the best taste when made as maavadu.

Niranjana
1st June 2005, 11:14 AM
I like North Indian Vegetarian food more than South Indian.

However, I like Potato Fry, Masala Dosa, Idli- Sambhar, Chutney, Vadaam, Pappadam, tomato Rasam and thyru Saadam, lemon pickle and Pongal very much.

I also like Poori Bhaji, Uppuma, Puttu Kadalai, Vellappam Egg Curry, and Kerala style feast.

I love Malai Kofta, Chana Batura, Paneer Makhani, Veg Jal Frezi, Bhindi Masala, Cauliflower Manchurian (cooked in Indian way)...............no wonder I'm so fat!

Niranjana
1st June 2005, 11:17 AM
In sweets, I like Semiya Paayasam, Badam Kheer, Ras Malai, Ice creams, Gulab Jamun, Rasgula & Chocolate Fudge

Niranjana
1st June 2005, 11:20 AM
Tea time Snacks, I like
Vada, Cutlet, Bonda, Caulifloer Bhaji, Paneer Fritters, Pakora and Banana chips.

NM
1st June 2005, 11:47 AM
Scorps...thanks! :D :D

NM
1st June 2005, 11:49 AM
Tea time Snacks, I like
Vada, Cutlet, Bonda, Caulifloer Bhaji, Paneer Fritters, Pakora and Banana chips.
Hmmmm! I remember the first time I tried bhaji, in Penang - didn't like it! But when I was in India last year, tried the chilli bhaji & valaikkai bhaji - delicious!! I have since become addicted to bhaji, esp chilli bhaji!! :D

aravindhan
1st June 2005, 04:56 PM
You will like the recipes in Meenakshi Ammal's "Samaitthu paar" series of books, then.

Are they available world wide or just in India?
Most Tamil bookshops in India stock the set of three volumes - maybe some place in East Ham will have them? There is also an English translation published by Penguin, but I think they've toned the recipes down!

Warning: the book only includes vegetarian recipes, so if you're a die hard carnivore, you should look elsewhere - Andhra cuisine may be a good option.

aravindhan
1st June 2005, 04:59 PM
vathakuzhambu thayir sadam would probably be God's favorite!!
My grandfather introduced me to the delights of thayirsaadham with jam. I strongly recommend it, especially the special mixed-fruit jam available from Khadigram in Tamil Nadu.

Sudhaama
2nd June 2005, 01:38 AM
Dear Mr."Jaiganes"

.// 1. Milagu Rasam.(APJ Abdul Kamal's fave)//

More than this first item... Milahu-Rasam.. .. our Dr. Kalam's MOST FAVOURITE item is...your second item // Sundakkai Vathhakozhambu//

Yes... Repeat...... Sundaikkaay- Vaththakk-Kuzhambu...

... Which was Specially prepared for him .. (by the specially invited Expert- cook chosen by that Guest of Honour)... and served at Sriharikotta during his latest visit under the context of the Historical Twin- Rockets Launch

... which Simple-food-item.. the Scientist-president ENJOYED UTMOST... out of all.

//The greatest fun of all is to sit in a circle around my granny along with my cousins and brother, listening to Ramayan and Mahabaratham//

Yes... It was a Common -practice in all the Tamilian-Homes in the age-old days... which is undoubtedly a Pleasant-Reminiscence... for all of us including me ... Evergreen in our Vivid Memory.

// The food tasted million times better this way(why?)//

Because of the whole-hearted Sincerety and Deep- Affection / HUMAN- LOVE... UNPARALLEL..

Our Tamil-Literature says... even a Saltless Food.. fed to her Child by the Mother ... will be felt delicious by the Child... and..

... even a Neem-fruit .. tastes as the SWEETEST... if served by the LOVING Wife.

Idiappam
2nd June 2005, 02:00 AM
If you really don't know, pick one from here!

http://www.maiyam.com/southfood/8540.20.53.04.html

krishnan
2nd June 2005, 02:21 AM
NM,

Maavadu-na ennanu theriyama irukeengala? Vazhkayae waste ponga. :) :) :) Just Kidding.

"Maatha ootadha sappatta maaNga ooTum" nu solluvanga (If mom can't feed you mango will!!!). Andha pazhamozhi solvathu pola enga amma veliyooru ponanganna enga paati / chitthi than enakkum en thangachikkum thachi mammu pesanji maVaDu pottu kuDupPanga. Ippo kooda en wife samaiyal sodapalayirundha mavadu than kai kudukkudhu. For those in USA "Thangam Maavadu" comes close to home made maavadu's.

Sudhaama
2nd June 2005, 02:53 AM
... SAMAITHTHU-P-PAAR... Author: Meenakshi Ammal

Veg-Cook-Books in 5 Volumes...in Tamil, English, Telugu, Kannada

Mr.aravindhan wrote: // You will like the recipes in Meenakshi Ammal's "Samaitthu paar" series of books, then.//

Thse books are available at all the leading Tamil Book-Stalls all over India.
and in some other countries with substantial Tamilian -population. like Singapore, Srilanka, Malaysia, South Africa and so on

Alternatively it can be tried at Higginbbothams Book-Stall, Anna Salai, Chennai- 6000 02 ... in person or by Post

or... at the Author's Residence.. near Mandaiveli Bus-stand..

(Name-Board indicates the House)

...at Ramakrishna-mutt Road, Mandaiveli, Mylapore- Chennai- 600004.

ramraghav
2nd June 2005, 05:15 AM
[tscii:b5458dfcbb]¬¸¡.........±ýÉ ´Õ ¾¨ÄôÒ.....±Ø¾¢ì¦¸¡ñ§¼ þÕì¸Ä¡§Á..........

¬¾¢ ¸¡Äò¾¢Ä ¿õÁ Áì¸û ±¾¢Ä ÅøÄÅ÷¸Ç¡ þÕó¾¡í¸§Ç¡ þø¨Ä§Â¡ º¨ÁÂø º¡ôÀ¡ðÊÄ §Åó¾÷¸Ç¡ þÕó¾¡í¸

'´ýÈ¡ þÃñ¼¡ ¬¨º¸û ±øÄ¡õ ¦º¡øħŠµ÷ áø §À¡ÐÁ¡
«ý§À ¿¡¨Å §¸ð¸Ä¡õ ¯Â¢¨Ã ¾¡ñÊÔõ Õº¢¸û ¿£ÙÁ¡'

«õÁ¡ º¨ÁÂøÉ¡ ´Õ ¾É¢ Õº¢¾¡ý. þÕó¾¡Öõ ±í¸ «õÁ¡ º¨ÁÂøÄ¢§Â ÁÈì¸ ÓÊ¡¾Ð «ó¾ ¾¢Õ¦¿ø§ÅÄ¢ «Å¢Âø¾¡ý. º¨ÁîÍ ÓÊîºôÀÈõ §ÁÄ¡¸ ´Õ ¦º¡ðÎ §¾í¸¡ö ±ñ¨½Ôõ ´Õ ¸ÃñÊ ¾Â¢Õõ Ţ𼠴¼ý§É ÅÕ§Á ´Õ Á½õ, ÍõÁ¡ àì¸Ä¡ þÕìÌõ. ͨŠ§¸ð¸ÏÁ¡, §¿Ã ¦º¡÷츧ġ¸õ¾¡ý.
À¢È󾧾 «¾ü¸¡¸¾¡§É.

'¦º¡÷츧Á ±ýÈ¡Öõ «Ð ¿õãÕô¦À¡Ä ÅÕÁ¡
«Ó¾§Á ±ýÈ¡Öõ «Ð «Å¢Â¢¨Äô§À¡Ä ¬ÌÁ¡'

¦º¡øÄô§À¡É¡ ¦À¡ÐÅ¡§Å ¾¢Õ¦¿ø§ÅÄ¢ º¨ÁÂøÄ þÕì¸È ͨŠ§ÅÈ ±ó¾ º¨ÁÂøÄ¢Ôõ ¿¡ý þÐŨà À¡÷ò¾¾¢øÄ.[/tscii:b5458dfcbb]

NM
2nd June 2005, 06:17 AM
[tscii:76accc1421]

«õÁ¡ º¨ÁÂøÉ¡ ´Õ ¾É¢ Õº¢¾¡ý. þÕó¾¡Öõ ±í¸ «õÁ¡ º¨ÁÂøÄ¢§Â ÁÈì¸ ÓÊ¡¾Ð «ó¾ ¾¢Õ¦¿ø§ÅÄ¢ «Å¢Âø¾¡ý. º¨ÁîÍ ÓÊîºôÀÈõ §ÁÄ¡¸ ´Õ ¦º¡ðÎ §¾í¸¡ö ±ñ¨½Ôõ ´Õ ¸ÃñÊ ¾Â¢Õõ Ţ𼠴¼ý§É ÅÕ§Á ´Õ Á½õ, ÍõÁ¡ àì¸Ä¡ þÕìÌõ. ͨŠ§¸ð¸ÏÁ¡, §¿Ã ¦º¡÷츧ġ¸õ¾¡ý.
À¢È󾧾 «¾ü¸¡¸¾¡§É.

'¦º¡÷츧Á ±ýÈ¡Öõ «Ð ¿õãÕô¦À¡Ä ÅÕÁ¡
«Ó¾§Á ±ýÈ¡Öõ «Ð «Å¢Â¢¨Äô§À¡Ä ¬ÌÁ¡'

¦º¡øÄô§À¡É¡ ¦À¡ÐÅ¡§Å ¾¢Õ¦¿ø§ÅÄ¢ º¨ÁÂøÄ þÕì¸È ͨŠ§ÅÈ ±ó¾ º¨ÁÂøÄ¢Ôõ ¿¡ý þÐŨà À¡÷ò¾¾¢øÄ.[/tscii:76accc1421]
Ram...amma sameiyal eppothume rusithaan! Athuvum, neenge describe-pannethu makes my mouth water!!!! :D yummy!!

NM
2nd June 2005, 06:20 AM
NM,

Maavadu-na ennanu theriyama irukeengala? Vazhkayae waste ponga. :) :) :) Just Kidding.

"Maatha ootadha sappatta maaNga ooTum" nu solluvanga (If mom can't feed you mango will!!!). Andha pazhamozhi solvathu pola enga amma veliyooru ponanganna enga paati / chitthi than enakkum en thangachikkum thachi mammu pesanji maVaDu pottu kuDupPanga. Ippo kooda en wife samaiyal sodapalayirundha mavadu than kai kudukkudhu. For those in USA "Thangam Maavadu" comes close to home made maavadu's.
Pareva ille Krishnan, ippovathu enakku terinjicha, inimel innoru 30 yrs-ku naan saapedalam-le! Ingge thaan thangachchi, mams, thambi-la irukkaangele, recipe elutha! :lol:

NM
2nd June 2005, 06:40 AM
Hmmm...this thread is bringing back lots of memories!!

I remember when i was 5 or 6, i used to have breakfast with my granny. It used to be 'black coffee' and 'cha koi' - malaysian know this...it is made of fermented dough and deep fried. Tastes yummy with coffee!!

Sometimes we would have all types of 'cakes' (?) - i can only say this in Malay - Malaysia makkal - pls translate....

i) kuih lapis - love peeling the layers and eat one by one!
ii) lepat pisang
iii) curry puff
iv) cucur badak
v) cucur pisang (chokodok)
vi) pulut inti
vii) pulut udang
viii) pulut hitam
ix) wajik (pulut kacau)

Hmmmm.......innom irukku...appuram eluthuren! :wink: :D

a.ratchasi
2nd June 2005, 08:06 AM
errr, NM, the thread is called Favorite food and not What Else Do You Eat :wink: :lol: :lol:

Niranjana
2nd June 2005, 09:36 AM
Can't ppl have more than one fav food, ratchasi?

NM
2nd June 2005, 09:39 AM
errr, NM, the thread is called Favorite food and not What Else Do You Eat :wink: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: U caught me there!! But, if all these happen to me favs?? :wink: :wink: :D

hehehewalrus
2nd June 2005, 09:47 AM
The voting option doesnt have mango pickle. You tasteless pathetic fellows dont deserve to eat it anyway :)

a.ratchasi
2nd June 2005, 09:57 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: U caught me there!! But, if all these happen to me favs??

No harm done, you are proving to be a Malaysian, afterall! :)
Especially with all those mamak stalls.......

In fact, I have a list of my own too (make that a long long one). :lol:

nirosha sen
2nd June 2005, 10:33 AM
Okay my favorites are : Parruppu thuvaiyal and Muringga Keerai peratal!! :D

NM
2nd June 2005, 11:21 AM
Niro,

Murunga-kai with prawns or chicken perattal tastes delicious!!
And antyhing with crabs does too! yummy!

Badri
2nd June 2005, 11:30 AM
Niro,

Leading to some serious issues of "vayatha perattal" as muh Granny would say!!! :lol: :lol:

NM
2nd June 2005, 11:31 AM
Niro,

Leading to some serious issues of "vayatha perattal" as muh Granny would say!!! :lol: :lol:Oh yeah???? You can try in Melbourne :wink: :wink: :lol:

Niranjana
3rd June 2005, 01:46 PM
All this talk about food makes me hungry.I wasnt a crisp Masala Dosa with Chutney, Sambhar & podi.

Anoushka
3rd June 2005, 04:06 PM
ennai pol saapatai rasipavargalukku ellame favourite thaan :)

nei vitta paruppu saadam, konjam maangai oorugai, appalam
thaalicha thayir saadam, thakkali allathu gongura oorugai
vatha kozhambu, paruppu thuvayal, sutta appalam
paati pisanju ootiya kathirikai murungakai samabar saadam
kara saramaga onion oothapam athuku thotukolla karasaramaga oru vengaya chutney
rasam saadam with nethili karuvadu kari
vanjiram karuvadu kozhambu
fish curry with rice
idiappam with maasi chambal...
amma seiyum mutton dry fry

ippo pasikuthu, adutha flight pidika vendiyathuthaan :)

Niranjana
3rd June 2005, 09:28 PM
Anoushka, u r making me hungry again...........

hehehewalrus
4th June 2005, 01:04 AM
I wasnt a crisp Masala Dosa with Chutney, Sambhar & podi.

Then what were you?

Querida
4th June 2005, 09:07 AM
hmmm i know my grandma was appalled when i would just eat rasam and uppuma...or rasam and rice with egg fry...she'd shake her head cause there would so many other curries and i would just choose those...even now everyone teases the nurses at the senior home will be glad to have me...i eat really slow and only small handfuls...and love liquidy food rather than hearty food...hmmmi don't know about fav things...some things appeal more because of mood and situation than sheer love of that food... anything so that i can swallow easily...i think all those years of being fussy finicky eater have taken a toll though on my health and mind...

Niranjana
4th June 2005, 01:43 PM
I wasnt a crisp Masala Dosa with Chutney, Sambhar & podi.

Then what were you?

Sorry Typos.........I meant I 'want'. U would've guessed the meaning, rite?

dev
4th June 2005, 11:43 PM
I don't think Walrus anna is that brainy to guess it right... R U,Walrus?... :wink: :lol: JK...

Shekhar
5th June 2005, 11:37 AM
I don't think Walrus anna is that brainy to guess it right... R U,Walrus?... :wink: :lol: JK...

No, No, he can never be as bright as Niranjan! :lol: After all he is a man!! :lol: :lol:

jaiganes
5th June 2005, 09:20 PM
Hey somebody mentioned paruppu podi as their fave!
My all time favourite thogayal (or thuvayal) is Gonkura!!!!
Gonkura thuvayal mixed rice with gingely oil (nallennai) is exactly equal to the tastiest tastes ever recorded by my taste buds. Hats off to andhra wallahs in the department of thuvayal!!!

Querida
6th June 2005, 06:18 AM
i simply love chendol and ice kachan...i tried chendol in the true north but after visiting malaysia and tasting the real thing i could not go back...can anyone tell me the ingredients used to make it?....desserts are nice when you only get them once in a blue moon...that and they have to be made well nothing is nastier than a desert gone wrong dare i say eggy vatalappam, grainy cheesecake, over greasy indian sweets or even old oil friend snacks...even a nibble is too much :x

please tell me it's just not me who likes eating hot snacks and having hot tea to compliment it....

hehehewalrus
6th June 2005, 06:46 AM

Nope, my question was honest. If Khushboo was an idli, Niranjana could have been a dosa :D

hehehewalrus
6th June 2005, 06:56 AM
please tell me it's just not me who likes eating hot snacks and having hot tea to compliment it....

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is only YOU - you, the whole you and none else but you :twisted: :twisted:

NM
6th June 2005, 07:39 AM
I had banganapilli mangoes yesterday, simply YUMMY!!

scorpio
6th June 2005, 12:42 PM
I had banganapilli mangoes yesterday, simply YUMMY!!

Shouldn't this post be in 'Useful thread' to make more sense?? :roll: :roll:

NM
6th June 2005, 12:45 PM
Thought of it but this name cropped up here, so thought i would like to share it here.... :cry: :oops: :lol:

jaiganes
6th June 2005, 10:56 PM
hello scorpio akka!
There is a discussion on favourite food and NM akka's comments are more appropriate here than your arattai thread.

Niranjana
7th June 2005, 05:53 PM
I'm hungry................pashi irrukku........I want hot cheese pizza with a big Cup of Pepsi and a roll of Garlic Bread! Yummy Yummy!

Querida
8th June 2005, 12:03 AM
question anyone know what's in pepsi but not in coke...cause for some reason i'm only allergic to pepsi :?

hehehewalrus
10th June 2005, 02:36 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Shruthi25/fg8115.jpg

Niranjana
Your photobucket photo has kicked the bucket

Querida
10th June 2005, 09:45 AM
:lol: @ hehehewalrus

jaiganes
20th April 2006, 12:42 PM
My wife is away and I am on a diet of Thengai Podi (coconut powder) , Gongura Thogaiyal, Karuveppilai podi, Paruppu podi , Thakkali Thokku, Mangai Thokku and Vadaam+Appalam. These podis are too good. Earlier I rarely touched podis and thogayals. In addition there is a grand podi called "Angaaya podi" which my wife's paatti(grandmother made). It is also too good. Off course all these podis gain an extra zing if eaten along with a fried javvarisi vadaam. For ppl who didn't understand even a single bit of what I have written, it is sufficient to say that I am discussing food substitutes to regular dhaal, saambhar and sabji(vegetables) all for ppl who are lazy to cook or have no time (my case).

crazy
20th April 2006, 01:11 PM
saambar saadam is my favourite!

vj_itv
20th April 2006, 01:27 PM
list'la athu illaiyae :wink:
My fav also :)

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 02:16 PM
my favs are

SOUTH INDIAN ITEMS

* DOSA
* Venn Pongal
* tamarind rice
* thayir vadai
* aloo
* aviyal
* yam
* colocasia
* paruppu usili (paruppu araithu seivathu)
* mOr kuzhambu (curd sambhar)
* vazhaipoo (anything done with banana flowers)
* idli
* mild spiceless rasam
* carrot halwa

NORTH/WEST/SOUTH INDIAN

* capsicum (in any form flavour)
* karela (in any form flavour)
* veg stuffed parota
* aloo parota
* gobi parota
* navrathan kurma
* kichadi (their style)
* punjabi kadi (anyyyyyyyyy kadi, esp punjabi kadi)
* plain roti
* mix veg
* koftas (any koftas, veg or whatever...........esp MALAI KOFTA)
* Kashmiri biryani
* Hyderabadi briyani

Continental / others

* pasta (italian)
* thaai food
* mexican food (some)

I hate CHINESE food
I Love RICH CREAMY food (malai, etc... but not cheese)

vj_itv
20th April 2006, 02:31 PM
sakthi akka innum yaethavathu irukka :wink:

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 02:52 PM
:D :D :rotfl: :P @ vj

jaiganes
20th April 2006, 03:04 PM
Shakti!
In the looooooong list that you have given, I have a big NO NO for Pasta. I tried it twice and both times I was close to throwing up.!!!
Once it was in Olive Garden in Orlando and the other time when I tried to make Instant Pasta from Sunfeast. The slushy slimy feel and the smell of vinegar in Milk is too difficult to stand..... :shock:

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:05 PM
SOUTH INDIAN ITEMS

* DOSA
* Venn Pongal
* tamarind rice
* thayir vadai
* aloo
* aviyal
* yam
* colocasia
* paruppu usili (paruppu araithu seivathu)
* mOr kuzhambu (curd sambhar)
* vazhaipoo (anything done with banana flowers)
* idli
* mild spiceless rasam
* carrot halwa
Outlined all those in ur list tat r my favs.....Dosa- I like only PLAIN ones...w/ tomato chutney or sum podi.....No masala stuffing etc.... :D
Oh btw, JG- I love podis too!! They r no.1 for ne tiffin/snack or meal even here! :D

NORTH/WEST/SOUTH INDIAN

* capsicum (in any form flavour)
* karela (in any form flavour)
* veg stuffed parota
* aloo parota
* gobi parota
* navrathan kurma
* kichadi (their style)
* punjabi kadi (anyyyyyyyyy kadi, esp punjabi kadi)
* plain roti
* mix veg
* koftas (any koftas, veg or whatever...........esp MALAI KOFTA)
* Kashmiri biryani
* Hyderabadi briyani
Aagin, outlined my favs.! :D

Continental / others

* pasta (italian)
* thaai food
* mexican food (some)
-do- , but I might add Chinese (veg.) soft noodles (used to hav tat every time we went out to eat, many yrs ago! :D)

I Love RICH CREAMY food (malai, etc... but not cheese)
Y? does it give u CHUBBY cheeks??! 'wonder if u feed ur daughter the same......hmm.... :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:09 PM
lambretta,

I wonder if i have chubby cheeks :wink: :D

my daughter does not. She is tooo skinny. I am plump. So ppl think, I make her starve and I hog all her food :oops:

jg,

I had it in a star rest near my house (tasty)
also in...... pai viceroy in j.nagar (it was decent)

ur description, MADE ME THINK AGAIN :cry:

Next time, I wonder if i can enjoay pasta :evil:

nilavupriyan
20th April 2006, 03:10 PM
chappathi/dhal

dosa with sambar

14 idlis (saravana bavan special)

chicken 65

fish fry

fish kulambu

egg masala

mutta dosa

mutta barotta

kothu kari

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:15 PM
lambretta,

I wonder if i have chubby cheeks :wink: :D
Oh, wen I said "u" I didnt mean U urself! :D

my daughter does not. She is tooo skinny. I am plump. So ppl think, I make her starve and I hog all her food :oops:
Ayyayyo....ithu romba anniyayame.....! :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:16 PM
nah. PPL THINK.
That is not true though :oops:

she eats ....... but still is skinny (nature)
I .... only mildly taste......... but immy it shows..... (so next day diet)

:cry: :cry:

jaiganes
20th April 2006, 03:17 PM
SP wrote:

ur description, MADE ME THINK AGAIN

Next time, I wonder if i can enjoay pasta

WOW! Great victory for Anti-Pasta Coalition!!!
Have you ever tasted a dish called Ravioli? It competes with Pasta on the yukkiness scale.
Among Indian dishes, I get Yuk on a pickle called Maagaali.
OTOH I go bonkers when there is Maavadu, Mangai Inji and Mango thokku!!!
I am a recent entrant to Nellikaai Oorgai fan club!!

nilavupriyan
20th April 2006, 03:21 PM
So ppl think, I make her starve and I hog all her food

cha.... atleast unga husbandukkavadhu edhavadhu vittu vaipeengala

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:22 PM
jg, :D

I like maagali. There is a juice of maagali called
nannaari. ITS SO YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. :D

ive not tried ravioli. With such description, and with ur anti grousp in mind, do u think i would enjoy :P :rotfl:

would give a try though :roll:
rest of mangai thoukku and stuff are all whoaaaaaaa mez a fan too :thumbsup:

only sad thing is I AM NOT FOND IF CURD RICE :D

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:22 PM
Among Indian dishes, I get Yuk on a pickle called Maagaali.
*digr*
Hi JG, h r u?
'rem me? :)

Neways...maaagali.....isnt it like the dry-ish bitter-ish type of mango pickle? I thot its called maagai..:?

OTOH I go bonkers when there is Maavadu, Mangai Inji and Mango thokku!!!
I am a recent entrant to Nellikaai Oorgai fan club!!
Btw, isnt Maavadu the same as 'Aavakai' mango pickle, as its known here? :)
Tats the standard compliment for nething u eat w/ rice as main dish! :D
I even used to love mixing it w/ rice & eating (common here in AP)
I really hate lime pickle tho (altho my dad wud love it).....I really missed my good ol' Aavakai wen I was in Singapore.....in nearly all the Indian (mostly Tamil) restaurants ther they'd serve lime pickle wen I ordered curd rice...:( :x

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:23 PM
nilavu

:oops:

I am not a great eater. I love to taste variety. my quantity is very less :)

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:23 PM
So ppl think, I make her starve and I hog all her food

cha.... atleast unga husbandukkavadhu edhavadhu vittu vaipeengala
:lol: Nilavu, really.......! :P :D

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:24 PM
hah. u too lambretta :P :cry: :D :evil:

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:26 PM
hah. u too lambretta :P :cry: :D :evil:
:? :oops: :huh: :?:
Hey, I didnt tease u along w. him...! :shock: :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:27 PM
dign

:P okei. relax. i knew u did not :D

/dign

Hulkster
20th April 2006, 03:29 PM
SP akkavai kobama aakinavanga uyirodu irunthuthu saritharamae ellei..

btw i love chinese food(not beef and all the other unknown animals) and Lamby neenga sonnuthu seri...the lime pickle can kill you.

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:31 PM
why would lime pickle kill someone hulk?
Sheesh, dont create such strong impression bout me :lol:

let ppl relax. u sound as though I am swara akka :lol:

jaiganes
20th April 2006, 03:32 PM
Hi Lambyboy!
I rem you. How r u doing?
Coming to International food, Has anyone tried the "Calzone" in Pizza Corner. They have some good wheat based pizzas that are not great compared to Pizza hutt's thick crust pizzas, however are much lighter and healthier. The Calzone is a good dish filled with spinach inside with melted cheese and the bread actually covering it from outside like samosa. I had it recently and it is really good. It was a good combi spinach and cheese+pizza base.

Getting back to local eatables, ppl who have eaten "Porivilangaa Urindai" Please raise your hands.

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Lambyboy!
Coming to International food, Has anyone tried the "Calzone" in Pizza Corner. They have some good wheat based pizzas that are not great compared to Pizza hutt's thick crust pizzas, however are much lighter and healthier. The Calzone is a good dish filled with spinach inside with melted cheese and the bread actually covering it from outside like samosa. I had it recently and it is really good. It was a good combi spinach and cheese+pizza base.

sigh. Did i say, u have a FLAIR for writng bout food :roll:

wow...... so appetizing to just read urs . Would try it out next time.

I forgot to mention I LOVE

CHAAAAAAAT ITEMS.

SAMOSA
BHEL
ALOO TIKKI
CUTLET
DAHI PURI
RAJBHOG
PANI PURI
kaakdi
ANYYYYYY CHAT ITEM :roll:

Getting back to local eatables, ppl who have eaten "Porivilangaa Urindai" Please raise your hands.

meeeeee ::::::raised hands:::::::

k anyway bye all now. need a break :wave:

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:36 PM
*digr
Hi Lambyboy!
Fine tks....:)

Wow! Tat sounds good! :D Will try ordering one from Pizza Corner here.

Raise their hands? :?
At the most cud give a link to a site showing raised hands! :lol:

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 03:39 PM
CHAAAAAAAT ITEMS.

SAMOSA
BHEL
ALOO TIKKI
CUTLET
DAHI PURI
RAJBHOG
PANI PURI
kaakdi
ANYYYYYY CHAT ITEM
Again outlined my favs. here...tks for being so kind to type the list every time SP! :wink: :lol:

k anyway bye all now. need a break :wave:
Tat reminds me- got sum work now so better 'scoot'! :wave:

jaiganes
20th April 2006, 03:46 PM
:wave: Lambretta! This would do to say raised hands.
BTW. If you haven't tasted Porivilangaurundai, you must try it once, if you have good tooth though. Coz it is the ultimate test of your dental strength, not pulling aeroplane using teeth!
My first porivilangai urundai experience is unforgettable one.
I was about 9 or 10 then and it was a Karthigai pandigai.
Along with normal pori urundai was this innocous looking ball, which I mistook then for a porimaavu urundai. We were watching "Sivakavi" on Doordarshan. At one stage, immensely engrossed in the TV, I picked up the Porivilanga Urundai and bit into it ferociously only to a shock a millisecond later. At that split second, I thought some one had replaced the porimaavu urundai with a cricket ball or something. Then my grand mother explained that it was ok as it was the famous Porul Vilangaa Urundai.
The trick to eating and enjoying Porul Vilanga Urundai is to keep scraping away with your teeth initially to soften the tough ball and later on dig your teeth slowly into it, to taste the divine combination of some unknown elements, hence the name porul vilangaa urundai(Material unknown Ball)!! :lol:

crazy
20th April 2006, 03:46 PM
hm ivalo list koduthacha
seri enn pangukku enakku pidichadha solluren
falafel and calzone(with olives)

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 06:32 PM
:wave: Lambretta! This would do to say raised hands.
:lol: Aaah yes, now y didnt i think of tat! :P :D

BTW. If you haven't tasted Porivilangaurundai, you must try it once, if you have good tooth though. Coz it is the ultimate test of your dental strength, not pulling aeroplane using teeth!..........The trick to eating and enjoying Porul Vilanga Urundai is to keep scraping away with your teeth initially to soften the tough ball and later on dig your teeth slowly into it, to taste the divine combination of some unknown elements, hence the name porul vilangaa urundai(Material unknown Ball)!! :lol:
Hmm......sounds um...interesting! :D
I jus asked my mum abt it, she says it looks jus like a 'bandara laddoo' on the outside but very hard as u describe....
Hmm......I now wonder, if this sweet was invented by sumone w/ philosophical attitude.....as if to say tat to reach sumthing 'divine' or enjoyable, u hav to combat sum 'hard'ships first! :D

selvakumar
20th April 2006, 06:38 PM
My favorite food.

ALL OOORVANA

PARAPPANA

NADAPPANA ETC

I love NON-VEG A LOT.. ESP NANDU & MEEN yummy :D

jaiganes
20th April 2006, 07:10 PM
Has anyone eaten the raw vadaam maavu(wet)? particularly the Javvarisi vadam maavu? Again please raise your hands and recount your experience!!

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 07:12 PM
Has anyone eaten the raw vadaam maavu(wet)? particularly the Javvarisi vadam maavu? Again please raise your hands and recount your experience!!
:shock: :x Raw maave poi sapdarthu ennathu! :P

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 07:28 PM

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh neenga sollu pothe naakula thani ooruthu :P.
I love vatha kuzhambu,kara kuzhambu ,maavadu and gen any oorgai with thair sadham.Yes it used to be a daily show at my patti's place too with all the vaandus sitting on the ground and getting oru oru vai each in a circle.GOD!! Those were the days rite :sigh:
Eppoellam naanE vatha kuzhambu vaichu naane sapita than undu.Adhuvum endha oorukku vandhu kuranju pochu(because of all the hoopla about how eating rice will increase your weight and so on :( )
Another one of my fav combinations which is not being made much now is urlakizhangu curry with thakkali rasam ..yummmm....
:huge sigh: sapadu kagavE therumbi kuzhandai agalam pola errukku :P

P.S jav arusi vadam mavu ---:mouth watering like a water fall:
I also looooovvvveeee padhi kanja arisi vadam .morning vadam ittu oru 12 mani pola adha eduthu sapadanum..yummmmyyyyyyy

rocketboy
20th April 2006, 07:44 PM
my favourite is sambhar rice with fried potatoes/ yam.

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 08:00 PM
Yes it used to be a daily show at my patti's place too with all the vaandus sitting on the ground and getting oru oru vai each in a circle.GOD!! Those were the days rite :sigh:
Yea I guess those wer also the days wen ur dad had the Herald.....(wat to do, cant help mentioning it...:roll:)
so yea, I wud say those indeed WERE the days....:sigh: :smile2:

Eppoellam naanE vatha kuzhambu vaichu naane sapita than undu.Adhuvum endha oorukku vandhu kuranju pochu(because of all the hoopla about how eating rice will increase your weight and so on :( )
:roll: Yea, even my sister said so...& she actually believes this stuff! :banghead: :roll:
U surely dont believe it do u?
Bit rich of em to say tat abt rice tho, considering tat donuts & burgers can literally make u sit around the sofa! :P :lol:

Another one of my fav combinations which is not being made much now is urlakizhangu curry with thakkali rasam ..yummmm....
Hmm......cant recall the curry but incidentally, my dad was really good at making onion sambhar/kuzhambu.....w/ the round onions....u cud take off the various layers or bite it whole.....loved it as a kid! :smile2:

P.S jav arusi vadam mavu ---:mouth watering like a water fall:
:lol: Ennavo ponguh! :P This sounds really weird to me......! :)

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 08:50 PM
Lamby, I meant uralakizhangu poriyal thats gen called curry in Iyer bhashai :P.
Its the most common thing u can do with potatoes.Love it :)

great
20th April 2006, 08:55 PM

what is gen :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2006, 09:17 PM
hey some ppl love vadagam maavu. I wonder how they eat.

ss,

I love aloo fry too :D

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 09:37 PM
Ohoo....Aloo fry-aa!! :roll: :P :lol:
Yea luv it too....btw I believe its not recom'd for weight-watchers...! :)
Btw, I also luv moru molagai.....& also red molagai wen its cooked w/ curry/pulihora/sambhar etc....I pluck off the 'cap', squeeze out the 'seeds' & juice & mix it w/ my rasam/thayir satham while eating! SimbLy WondrafuL I say.....:P
But yea, u got to hav a knack of mixing it & 'diluting' it properly....else it can set ur mouth on fire! :)
I developed a taste for this wen we wer in Libya many yrs ago.....we didnt hav ne more pickles left so I missed having them esp. w/ curd rice! Once one of our Ind. friends gave us sum dry red chillies, wich my mother used in curries & sambhar......so one day, I squeezed the juice out of one & mixed it in my sambhar/curd rice! & hav liked it since......:P
Oh well, this food talk reminds me of dinner, wich I shud be having now....BRB!

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 09:42 PM
hey some ppl love vadagam maavu. I wonder how they eat.

kai-um vai-um errunda pothum :P :D

its amazing SP.U gotto try it.Simply heavenly.

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 09:43 PM
great gen ->generally :P

Alan
20th April 2006, 10:54 PM
well, I'm quite a foodie! I enjoy diff types of rices, Indian breads like Paratha, Kulcha, Chappathis, Butter Nan etc with curries like Kofta, Shahi Paneer, Aloo Gobi, Bhindi Masala, Paneer Makhanwala etc all depending on my mood.

In SouthIndian dishes, I like idli/dosa-Sambhar, Masala Dosa, Rava Dosa, Vellappam- Egg Curry, Rice with the traditional "Sadya" with around 27 curries etc.

RP
20th April 2006, 11:04 PM
Anyone for Tatte Idlis........???????

Lambretta
20th April 2006, 11:31 PM
In SouthIndian dishes, I like idli/dosa-Sambhar, Masala Dosa, Rava Dosa, Vellappam- Egg Curry, Rice with the traditional "Sadya" with around 27 curries etc.
Tats gr8..! :)
Btw, u dont fancy Curd Rice do u? :lol:
Wen I used to visit this gurudwara at Singapore w. a Sikh friend, I used to hav tat at the end of the meal & I guess it was the 1st time he saw sumone eating curd rice so at first he jus stared at my plate in wonder! :P :lol:

NM
21st April 2006, 03:59 AM
ivvlo naalukkuppin intha thread is revived!!

enakku pidiththa inngulla saapaadu....

lamb roast
fish and chips
chicken salad

Thai saapaadu :
seafood tom yam
seafood keng som
papaya/ mango salad
sesame balls in syrup
fish baked in the northern tha style

I miss most :
my mother's...
capati
coconut rice with prawn gravy
chicken curry, perettal
mutton kurma
vege kurma
thosai
idli
fish sambal

sorry to all the vegetarian hubbers.... :oops: :oops:

vj_itv
21st April 2006, 09:22 AM
nikkurathu, odurathu, nadakkurathu, parakkurathu, thaavurathu, ethaiyum neenga vidalaiya :wink: :wink:

bingleguy
21st April 2006, 09:25 AM
Oru karandi saatham, Mysore rasam, Thengai Thuvaiyal !

oru nimisham engiyo poitten :-)

vj_itv
21st April 2006, 09:28 AM

oru nimisham engiyo poitten :-)
Mysore'ku poiteengala :oops:

bingleguy
21st April 2006, 09:29 AM
mysore rasam nnu peru dhaan VJ .... thengai pottu panra rasam ;-)

vj_itv
21st April 2006, 09:32 AM
Mysore Pak'thaan Kaelvi Pattirukkaen
Mysore Rasam Pudhusa Irukku :)

(Inippa Irukkuma :wink:)

NM
21st April 2006, 09:40 AM
appadiyE recipe-yum koduthurenggalaEn BG....antha mysore rasam eppadi irukkuthunnu naanum therinjukuvEnla.. :D

vj_itv
21st April 2006, 09:42 AM
NM - Unga Veetila Vaena Vanthu Samaichu Kuduthuttu Poga Sollunga :wink:

NM
21st April 2006, 09:45 AM
VJ :
neenga athe muthalla sample pannungga, appuram paarkalaam. :lol:

vj_itv
21st April 2006, 09:48 AM
ayyayyo naan risk edukka virumbalai :wink:

hi
21st April 2006, 10:05 AM
My fav.. food will be the one my (future-hubby) cooks for me :oops: :lol:

NM
21st April 2006, 10:19 AM
My fav.. food will be the one my (future-hubby) cooks for me :oops: :lol:poor guy :lol: does he know that?

Alien
21st April 2006, 10:51 AM
:rotfl: @ Anjali

If I were to say one meal ... then piTTu & Karuvaadu(dried fish/ sprat) curry :P :P .... sigh miss it badly ....

jaiganes
21st April 2006, 11:17 AM
BG wrote:

Wow Thengai Thuvayal!! Thengai and Paruppu thuvayals cannot be forgotten. It is an unwritten rule that if there is "Usili" then Thengaai thuvayal must be there!. My mother's usili with nei(ghee) and thengai thuvayal is an unbeatable combination. And whenever there is Milagu kozhambu, then again, thengaai thuvayal must grace the table. Only problem is that it has to be consumed within a day as the coconut will be spoilt the other day.
For a recipe of Milagu kozhambu please visit my blog(it will be in archives and the post is in thamizh)

bingleguy
21st April 2006, 11:26 AM
For milagu kozhambu .... Paruppu thogayal is an excellent combo ! Awesome !

hi
21st April 2006, 11:27 AM
My fav.. food will be the one my (future-hubby) cooks for me :oops: :lol:poor guy :lol: does he know that?

kandippa... he must cook on sat and sun for me :P :lol:

jaiganes
21st April 2006, 11:38 AM
Moar Kuzhambu is another all time favourite dish. Particularly with fried Vendakkaai thaan(Ladies finger or bindi or Ocra as they call it in US). The potato fry(urulai kizhangu kari ) is an apt companion for moar kuzhambu. Another all time favourite are keerais(spinach).

I like the peculiar taste of murungai keerai . It is always made like a poriyal or curry unlike arai keerai or siru keerai which can be made like sambhar as well. I hate it whenever the keerai is run in a mixie and given like thuvayal.

And talking abt Thuvayals.... Gongura is the king of em all.

Alan
21st April 2006, 04:45 PM
Tats gr8..! :)
Btw, u dont fancy Curd Rice do u? :lol:
Wen I used to visit this gurudwara at Singapore w. a Sikh friend, I used to hav tat at the end of the meal & I guess it was the 1st time he saw sumone eating curd rice so at first he jus stared at my plate in wonder! :P :lol:

No-not a great fan of curd rice- although I like it sometimes - 8-)

ssanjinika
21st April 2006, 07:45 PM
Ennakku tharisadham ella oru karandi thair(morru if not available) ellama sapittu mudicha madiriyE errukathu :P.

Translation for Alans benefit :)

I need curd rice or at the least one big spoon of curd(buttermilk if not available) to feel as though Ive finished eating :P

bingleguy
21st April 2006, 07:55 PM
Curd Rice has to be there for ending my dinner ! I can stand a chance without that ! ;-)

Lambretta
21st April 2006, 08:07 PM
JG, I jus ordered the Calzone from Pizza corner tat u mentioned......it looks like a giant 'flat' samosa! :D
But yea, it tastes gr8, altho I didnt order the one w/ the spinach filling (they hav 3 varieties in veg.)....
Neways, I jus rem'd- has neone had 'Vaangi bath'?? Spiced brinjal rice....tats good too......my mother used to make tat a few yrs ago..:)

Lambretta
21st April 2006, 08:11 PM
Curd Rice has to be there for ending my dinner ! I can stand a chance without that ! ;-)
Same here! :D

Raikkonen
21st April 2006, 08:52 PM
Avan avan Somalia, Bosnia vule tanni illama tavicikittu irukkan...

Hulkster
21st April 2006, 09:05 PM
Avan avan Somalia, Bosnia vule tanni illama tavicikittu irukkan...

:lol:...namma sontha pidicha sappadai thaanae pa sonnom...unless neenga SP akka allura sappadu naalae thaan evangalakku thanni ellamal pochi nu sonaal.

Lambretta
21st April 2006, 09:13 PM
And talking abt Thuvayals.... Gongura is the king of em all.
Yup....Gongura pachchadi (telugu name for thuvayl) is the king of em all....! :D

Alan
21st April 2006, 09:32 PM
Ennakku tharisadham ella oru karandi thair(morru if not available) ellama sapittu mudicha madiriyE errukathu :P.

Translation for Alans benefit :)

I need curd rice or at the least one big spoon of curd(buttermilk if not available) to feel as though Ive finished eating :P

Appidiya? Rhomba nalladu! Hey! How's my Tamil? And thanks for the translation, it was really sweet of you! :D

Lambretta
21st April 2006, 09:56 PM
Appidiya? Rhomba nalladu! Hey! How's my Tamil?
Bas changa hai Paaji....:clap:
Ur doing pretty good man! :thumbsup:
Jus needs a little polishing out on the rough edges I'd say.... :wink:
Its Romba nalladhu (soft 'd' sound, as in 'the', 'dum' in Hindi :D)

Alan
21st April 2006, 11:25 PM
thanks Lamby,, Thou art a true pal!!!! :lol:

Lambretta
21st April 2006, 11:36 PM
*digr
:D ur welcome Alan!

/digr

Querida
22nd April 2006, 12:25 AM
Awww it's too bad about the dislikers of pasta..really it's a great dish which you can make in so many ways..but there are so many ways for it to go wrong....ready-made, instant and unfortunately restaurant pasta (especially when it's their main dish) isn't tooo good ever. Homemade is the best if you follow directions with cooking it and have patience...I really love pasta...all different kinds...I love the shells but not so much penne....the simplest pasta dish to make is probably macaroni and cheese (here popularly manufactured ready-made product by Kraft....it's a must for those who live on campus :) ) or pasta salad anyways do try making it at home....if not atleast try vegetable lasagne....I simply love it when i can manage to get it...that is!

Most of you have mentioned many of the dishes i like...with many i don't have a clue about....I'm great with trying new foods...but I hate it when I'm badgered/coerced to try something I just don't want to :x
I don't think people have mentioned Korean food? I like their kim-chi (their version of pickle), actually I haven't found a pickle I don't like unless it's too oily/sour/bitter.

jaiganes
23rd April 2006, 02:38 PM
For all the people who were confused with Pori vilanga urundai. Here comes the recipe. However it comes in Thamizh as I wrote it down while my wife's grand mother dictated. Again sorry for the Thamizh post...

பொரிவிளங்கா உருண்டை
-----------------------------------------------

தேவையான பொருட்கள்
--------------------------------------------

1. அரிசி (1 பிடி அரிசி)
2. பயத்தம்பருப்பு(1 கால்படி)
3. கடலை பருப்பு (1 கால்படி)
4. கோதுமை மாவு(1/2 கால்படி)
5. தேங்காய் (2 தேங்காய் மூடி)
6. வெல்லம் (1/2 கிலோ)
7. சுக்கு (1 தேர்)
8. ஏலக்காய்(6 )

செய்முறை
--------------------

1. கடலை பருப்பு, பயத்தம் பருப்பு,கோதுமை மாவு தனித்தனியே வறுக்கவேண்டும்.
2. சுக்கு மற்றும் ஏலக்காயை பொடித்து வைத்துக்கொள்ளவும்.
3. தேங்காயை பல்லு பல்லாக துறுவிக்கொள்ளவும்.
4. வறுத்த பருப்பு மற்றும் கோதுமை மாவு அனைத்தையும் ஒன்றாகச்சேர்த்து அரைக்கவும் (மிக்ஸிலோ அல்லது அருகில் உள்ள மிஷினிலோ)
5. வெல்லத்தை நறுக்கி இலுப்பை சட்டியில் போட்டு ஒரு கரண்டி நீரில் கரைத்துக்கொள்ளவும்.
6. கரைத்த வெல்லத்தில் துறுவிய தேங்காயை போடவும்.
7. வெல்லமும் தேங்காயும் கலந்த நீரை கொதிக்க வைக்கவும்.
8. பொடித்த சுக்கு மற்றும் ஏலக்காயையும் அரைத்த மாவையும் ஒன்றாக சேர்க்கவும்.
9. இவ்விதம் கலந்த மாவை கல்லுப்பாகில் பிடித்து உருண்டைகள் செய்யவும்.
10. சுவையான, பற்களை சோதிக்கும்(!!) பொருள் விளங்கா உருண்டைகள் தயார்.

சுவை
----------

1. கார்த்திகை தீபப்பண்டிகை நேரங்களில் பல குடும்பங்களில் செய்யும் உணவுப்பொருட்களில் ஒன்று இந்த "பொறி விளங்கா உருண்டை".
2. இதில் புரதச்சத்தும், வெல்லம் மூலமாக இரும்புச்சத்தும் நிறைந்த, அதே சமயம் இனிப்புச்சுவையும் உள்ளதால் குழந்தைகளுக்கு
மிகவும் பிடிக்கும் என்பதில் எள்ளளவும் ஐயம் இல்லை.
3. சுக்கு கலந்துள்ளதால் செறிமானமும் சீறிய வகையில் இருக்கும் என்பதால் வ்யிறு சம்பந்தப்பட்ட பிரச்சினை உள்ளவர்களும்
தயக்கமின்றி உண்ணலாம்.
4. பல் உள்ள அனைவரும் சுவைத்து மகிழ சிறந்த உணவுப்பண்டம் இந்த "பொறி விளங்கா உருண்டை".

jaiganes
25th April 2006, 11:28 AM
Another healthy tiffin item is Raagi dosai or Kaezhvaragu Dosai. My mother will make normal Kaezhvaragu dosai for everyone and for me she would mix Vellam (Jaggery) as I like vellam a lot. This dosa is one of the best when you walk in to home after a hectic school day. It is an instant energizer and the taste is something special.

NOV
25th April 2006, 11:52 AM
For all the people who were confused with Pori vilanga urundai. Here comes the recipe. However it comes in Thamizh as I wrote it down while my wife's grand mother dictated. http://www.babas.com.my/festive_treats/ketti_urundai.shtml

ssanjinika
25th April 2006, 07:30 PM
Appidiya? Rhomba nalladu! Hey! How's my Tamil? And thanks for the translation, it was really sweet of you! :D

Unga thamizh Super :clap: :D.
Ur very welcome Alan!
Hope ur enjoying ur *newly married* status :)

Raikkonen
25th April 2006, 08:28 PM
I Like Duku...

Alan
26th April 2006, 10:31 PM

Unga thamizh Super :clap: :D.
Ur very welcome Alan!
Hope ur enjoying ur *newly married* status :)

Thanks! I understood that!

Married life is good at the moment :wink: but always anticipating problems as I've married a "woman" :lol: All the marriage jokes I've read claim that women are synonymous with problems! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding!
Hey! No offence to women!

Sanguine Sridhar
27th April 2006, 01:49 AM
I always prefer some gravy kind of thing as a side dish always..So Vatha Kuzhambu is the best combination for me :wink: .... Ada ennatha solluveyngO! Vatha kuzhambu oorudhungO!! :wink:

Thirumaran
27th April 2006, 01:55 AM
Normally i like spicy food, either Veg or Non veg..

So vatha kuzhambu/kara kuzhambu among the options is my choice..

Personally i like this combo..

Oora vacha Pazhaya, cut onions and chillies and mix in that along with curd.
Side dish - either karuvaadu or Fish fry. :tongueout:

Sanguine Sridhar
27th April 2006, 01:57 AM
Maran...Once again as a gravy i prefer "Meen Kozhambu" here!! :P

Thirumaran
27th April 2006, 02:04 AM

yes. antha pazhaya soara kayila eduthu konjam meen kuzhambu(2 days older) oothi saaptaa.. appaa ... enna oru taste.. nothing will match that :tongueout:

Sanguine Sridhar
27th April 2006, 02:05 AM

yes. antha pazhaya soara kayila eduthu konjam meen kuzhambu(2 days older) oothi saaptaa.. appaa ... enna oru taste.. nothing will match that :tongueout:

:thumbsup: You said what was in my mind :D

Querida
27th April 2006, 08:07 AM
maybe i had a bad version of it or something..i always find vathal kozhumbu so bitter!!! blech! :x is it supposed to be like that..you know like an acquired taste kinda thing or i just getting crappy stuff?

Shakthiprabha.
27th April 2006, 03:05 PM
vatha kozhambu is great with MANATHAKKALI vaththal.

its yum. querida it can never be bitter. It can be sour but not bitter.

it need not be sour too if made iwth right amount of tamarind. I think u must hav tasted vatha kozhambu DONE With generous amount of methi seeds. :)

ssanjinika
27th April 2006, 07:35 PM
maybe i had a bad version of it or something..i always find vathal kozhumbu so bitter!!! blech! :x is it supposed to be like that..you know like an acquired taste kinda thing or i just getting crappy stuff?
if was bitter,the culprit could have been the vathal itself.Sundakai vathal will make the vatha kuzhambu bitter.I love manathakalli vathal kuzhambu.It def is amazing.I also love vendhiya kuzhambu which is basically the same as vathakuzhabu but instead of a vathal you would add a normal veggi like vendakai or murungakai with a lil bit of vendhiyam :).However the conclusion is Vathakuzhambu is equivalent to ambrosia :D

Querida
28th April 2006, 01:21 AM
ok that means I really do have to try your version of vathal kozhumbu, the problem is where to get it, because i love vendakkai kozhumbu, ambrosia, eh? I'll hold you to that ok SSj ok? :D

Sanguine Sridhar
28th April 2006, 01:33 AM
Vendakkai Kozhambu :P :P Its my fav fav one....... :P .....Hmmm Pasikudhu :(