PDA

View Full Version : prawn vadai

shreya23
2nd June 2005, 10:03 PM
can someone please share their prawn vadai recipe with me ?in this recipe the prawns r minced or almost ground into paste with other ingredients .i know that we add finely minced onions coriander leaves etc but i am not sure about the spices! my husband is fond of this vadai that he has at his friend's place but when i asked his wife for the recipe she just brushed me off saying that its too much of work & declined to share the recipe!so can someone please help me find this recipe which i want to prepare as a surprise for my husband.the vadai tasted like those chettinadu recipes
shreya
ps:she uses those shrimps to make the prawn vadai

sangii77
3rd June 2005, 02:57 AM
why dont u google it. If you tasted it try to remember the spices that cud have been there like saunf, ginger or garam masala. Iam pretty sure it will be on the net. try searching at ammas.com or post ur question there also ...being a little bit more descriptive abt the ingredients might help while answering.

Hope this helps,
Sangeetha

shreya23
3rd June 2005, 08:34 PM
it had garlic ,onions, coriander leaves ,green chillies , cinnamon,sombu etc i think

sangii77
3rd June 2005, 11:45 PM
[tscii:13556265c1]This recipe is Mrs.Mano's and since you said its chettinad type...most of them would be similar to the one below except for the main ingredient. Substitute raw mashed prawns instead of karunaikizhangu, add green chillies instead of red chillies and omit the coconut. this might still taste very good even though its not the exact recipe. But my best bet would be to post this question on Mrs.Mano's thread. Hope this Helps

KARUNAIKIZHANGU KOLA:
Cook ¼ kilo karunaikizhangu in a cooker for 2 or 3 whistles. Then remove the outer cover and mash well. Powder 1 cup pottukkadalai, 1 clove, 1 piece of cinnamon, 1/2sp fennel seeds[sombu], and 4 garlic flakes in a mixi without adding water. Add 6 red chillies, a marble size ginger, and 1tbsp shredded coconut to this and again run the mixi for a few seconds. Add this powder to the karunaikkizhangu and also add 1tbsp chopped coriander leaves, ¼ cup chopped onionms and enough salt. Mix well and make small balls. Deep fry these in hot oil.
[/tscii:13556265c1]

solona
8th June 2005, 08:19 AM
can someone please share their prawn vadai recipe with me ?in this recipe the prawns r minced or almost ground into paste with other ingredients .i know that we add finely minced onions coriander leaves etc but i am not sure about the spices! my husband is fond of this vadai that he has at his friend's place but when i asked his wife for the recipe she just brushed me off saying that its too much of work & declined to share the recipe!so can someone please help me find this recipe which i want to prepare as a surprise for my husband.the vadai tasted like those chettinadu recipes
shreya
ps:she uses those shrimps to make the prawn vadai

Hi Shreya,

Once again me,

I make 2 types of vadais with prawn

The 1st one :

Chick peas 250 grs
onions (big) 1 finely choppes
ginger garlic paste 1 1/2 tablespoon
green chillies 3
fennel seeds 1teaspoon
Karuvepillai 1 branch
coriander leaves 1 branch
mint leaves 1 branch
5 big shelled prawns or equivalent

grind the chick peas to vadai maavu consistancy ( not as a powder)
add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste, grind prawns and all the rest, make balls flatten them and fry.

2nd one

kadalai maavu 4 tablespoon
arisi maavu : 2 tablespoons
milagai tool 1/2 teaspoon
chopped onion 1 small
ginger garlic paste 1 teaspoon
coriander laves
karuvepillai

mix them with with a bit of water to thick consistancy and salt, fry them by putting a tablespoon of vadai maavu into hot oil an fry until brown.

Regards
Shanthy