PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Etymology

Querida
9th June 2005, 03:49 AM
Inspired by our hubber F.S. Ghandi i would like to start a thread on word origins (Etymology) anyone is welcome to contribute...I am specially interested in phrases and slang use:

Bizarre was borrowed into English from French meaning handsome or brave, which in turn took the word from the Italian bizarro, meaning angry. When it jumped the channel, it shifted radically in meaning to its current sense. It first appears in English in 1648.

Badri
9th June 2005, 07:30 AM
Good initiative, Querida!

The word Punch actually comes from our own Indian "Panch" as it has five ingredients, when properly made!!! (According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary)

nirosha sen
9th June 2005, 12:30 PM
Hmm..good one, Q! :D

Okay, how abt Bungalow???? Comes from the Hindi word, Banglae!

Or even juggernaut - from Jagarnath's chariot!!

Querida
9th June 2005, 11:29 PM
wow that's really interesting.. :)

well here's some ammo for those wanting to bash marriage: :roll: :P

Honeymoon: "The word first appears in the 16th century. The honey is a reference to the sweetness of a new marriage. And the moon is not a reference to the lunar-based month, but rather a bitter acknowledgement that this sweetness, like a full moon, would quickly fade."

Colonel: is originally Italian, a colonel being the commander of a military column or in Italian colonna. The French adopted the military rank, and in so doing switched the L for R (L/R switches are a common pronunciation shift).

English adopted the French word, with an R spelling coronell in the mid-16th century. Starting in the late-16th century, translations of Italian military treatises started using the etymologically correct L spelling, and by the mid-17th century, colonel was the accepted English spelling. But the R pronunciation was firmly established and did not change.

Badri
10th June 2005, 11:24 AM
Got a few bucks?

Buck, the slang term for a dollar, is a clipped form of buckskin. On the American frontier, buckskins were often used as units of commerce. The term buck, meaning a unit of value, dates to at least 1748

Querida
10th June 2005, 10:55 PM
S.O.S. - S.O.S. does not stand for Save Our Souls, Save Our Ship, Stop Other Signals, Sure Of Sinking, or any other phrase.

S.O.S. was chosen as the universal distress signal by the International Radio Telegraph Convention of July 1908 because this combination of three dots followed by three dashes followed by three dots (...---...), was easy to send and easily recognized, especially since they were usually sent as a nine-character signal, which stood out against the background of three-character Morse Code letters. The letters themselves are meaningless.

The first recorded mention of the false acronymic origin is in reference to the Titanic sinking of 1912, which may account for its wide spread and endurance

nirosha sen
11th June 2005, 03:16 PM
amuck from Malay word amok which is running berserk!!

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
11th June 2005, 04:43 PM
Bangalow is from Tamil ‘Venkalavu’ which means ‘a place of No heat, usually a top place’

Venka + u = Venka - Venkaatha is negative word for venkam. U – suttu oli. Venkam means ‘heat’ that is ‘veppam’

Readers can observe This ‘Va’ is turning ‘Ba’ when you go from south to north of India just like ‘Vali’ is turned as ‘bali’ in Ramayana since no alphabet for ‘Va’ in north Indian languages.

Bangalore was called ‘Venkaaloor” previously which is somewhat height in location and low in heat.

Venkaa Idam = venkidam = Thirupathi mountain which is also low in heat.

Hence if a house has upstairs it is called Bangalow.

Take phrases of Latin origin in English. i.e., & e.g - That is & For example

The expansion will be id est & exempli gratia.

Compare the words with tamil. Athavathu – adavadu

Id –ad , ‘s’ is due to pronounciation difference. et - vad

‘Esaivul kaattaka’ – rhymes with exempli gratia which means for example.

Esai – esaivul means ‘similar’ and kaattaka means example.

Tamil business with Greece were proved through tamil coins presence there.

Likewise if we take up the extinct Latin and Greek we will find tamil presence.

'Amuk' or 'Amok' might be from Tamil 'Amukkam' which means pressurized and thus someone run like a mad with fury.

f.s.gandhi

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
15th June 2005, 11:05 AM
The root for English word 'abnegate' is ab negare (Latin).

ab - away , negare - to deny

Compare the tamil word 'Nagaru' means 'go away or deny'. We find tamil root.

Badri
15th June 2005, 11:10 AM
[tscii:e4a032805a]

Bangalore was called ‘Venkaaloor” previously which is somewhat height in location and low in heat.
f.s.gandhi

When at school in Bangalore, remembering studying about Kempegowda and his eating Bende Kaalu (baked beans) and how when he founded the city he called it bendekaalooru...

:roll:

After all, Kempegowda was the founder of Bangalore, and he'd have a say in naming it!! [/tscii:e4a032805a]

Querida
16th June 2005, 11:03 AM
Let The Cat Out of the Bag This phrase meaning to disclose a secret is from an old scam of selling someone a suckling pig at market and then surreptitiously substituting a cat for the pig. If one lets the cat out of the bag, then the secret is revealed and the fraud discovered. The scam dates to at least 1530, but the phrase doesn't make its appearance until 1760.

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
16th June 2005, 11:17 AM
Dear friends, :)

Mayuram’ a town in tamilnadu was named after ‘Mayuri’ which is name for peacock / mayil. It is mayiladuthurai now.

Some 200 years back this mayuram turned ‘Mayavaram’ / Mayaaram and one 'purana' was created that A fellow got one 'varam' from 'sivan' god and after that he named the town as ‘mayavaram’ which is not having authentic proof.

Likewise Bangalore was called ‘Venkaaloore’ and some of the local poetry signifies this. Other stories are unbelievable.

Take the word ‘aborigines’ - ab origines - Latin root is ‘ab origine’

In tamil ‘ari’ means beginning. Lot of words like ‘arisi’,‘arichuvadi’, ‘arikaall’ are there to specify this meaning. ‘ari Om’ is beginning of god manthras.

‘Arisanam’ is to specify ‘turmer’ which is beginning of any cultural function to remind ancestors.

This ‘arisanam’ turned ‘origine’ phonetically to specify the tribe / inhabitants of any land.

Take the word ‘above’. It is from old English ‘abufan’ which was from ‘abuv’ Latin word. Now the English word is pronounced as ‘abuv’. The root is ‘buv’

In tamil uvan / puvan means top / upwards / sky. Puvan turned ‘buv’/ abuv to specify upwards.

f.s.gandhi

Cinefan
16th June 2005, 05:11 PM
F.S.G,
Bangalore is the anglicized version for 'Bendakalooru'meaning the place of Baked grains.Plz don't take your "Tamil is the origin of every darned thing on this earth" to the extremes.

Badri
17th June 2005, 05:11 AM
F.S.G,
Bangalore is the anglized version for 'Bendakalooru'meaning the place of Baked grains.Plz don't take your "Tamil is the origin of every darned thing on this earth" to the extremes.

Thank you Cinefan! I knew they didnt teach me wrong at school in Bangalore!!!

Like most towns before founding, the place was a forest! Why would anyone go and name a spot in the forest, just because it was a little cooler? And what, Bangalore is the coolest spot in the whole, wide world?

Here's a little history lesson from the Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2002/07/25/stories/2002072500270200.htm

Querida
17th June 2005, 08:35 AM
Gossip
This is a very old word with a much more modern meaning. It comes from the Old English godsibb, meaning a godparent or baptismal sponsor. It comes from god + sib (meaning blood relation as in sibling). It dates to at least 1014.

By 1362, the term was being used to mean a close friend, one you might chose to be godparent to your children. It was applied to both men and women, although in later uses it came to be applied only to women. By 1566, the word was being used to mean a flighty woman, one who would engage in idle talk. From there it came to mean the idle talk itself.

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
20th June 2005, 12:03 PM
When you go into world ancient history we find tamil there. What can I do in this ? I treat all the languages equal and I find no difference / distinction between one (sound ) to another (sound).

Which century Kempe gowda belongs to ? What was the name of Bangalore before kempegowda ?

Bangalore was the place called ‘Venkaaloore’ in Venki Naadu during 10th century.

Anyway I move on to next part.

Latin words of tamil origin and Greek words of tamil origin written by Professor K.S.A. Knana kiri Nadar will give more light in finding out the roots of English words.

Time to time I shall also write in this. If time permits we may go into English vocabulary in its length and breadth.

A / Vowel starting words are very much essential since vowels plays major role in any language formation.

Ab-scind – to cut off , Latin – Scindere tamil – sinthuthal

Abs-cond – to take oneself off, Latin - Condere Tamil – Kaanaathan (Kanamal ponavan)

Ab-sense - Latin – esse Tamil –eya Eyakki and esakki from this root

Ab-solve – to set free Latin – solvere Tamil – Salpu –viduthaiyadai, Niraivadai

Abs-tinent – refrain from Latin- tenere Tamil - Thinaru

f.s.gandhi

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
20th June 2005, 12:07 PM
Sorry :? I tried several times. Messages have not been entered successfully.

The very Next time of today it has been entered which made everything repeated.

sorry :? for the inconvenience that I posed for the readers and the moderators

f.s.gandhi

solomon
20th June 2005, 02:16 PM
We have moths September- December, and they mean as follows

September- Seven- root from Sanskrit - Saptami
October- Eight - " " - Oshtami
November Nine " " -Novamy
December Ten " " " -Dasami
AS TWO Kings names July(ius Caeser) and August(us Caeser) name included the months went back, but the names remained same and entire world calls them wrongly
MosesMohammedSolomon

Idiappam
20th June 2005, 08:21 PM
Solomon, it now appears that Sanskrit is actually an offspring of Greek or Latin. Never Indian.!

Thanks for telling us that!

solomon
21st June 2005, 09:59 AM
English words for Mango is a direct Tamil word, and no separate name for fruit exist.
The word for Country Boat- is Catamaran again is the corruption of Kattamaram.

Greek and Latin did not have any worthful Grammer till 16th Century CE, and now saying the Bye Prodts of Sanskrit.

Idiauppam your words means, that a girl saying I did the Labour Operation for my Grandmother.
MosesMohammedSolomon

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
21st June 2005, 11:51 AM
Dear solomon, :)

It would have been better if you have added the roots of the sanskrit words that you mentioned the root of the English words.

Maxmuller did the same work what you did but he didn't look into the roots of the sanskrit words. Galduwell did it. And many North Indian historians are also doing it.

When man led forest life he saw the things in earth of stationery and moving objects, named it through 'suttu oligal'. And from that base /root 'oru porut kilavikal' (same meaning words) formulated.

Then he observed objects of same size of things and numbered. They are tamil numbers name.

Then he saw celestial bodies observed and found the names of what sanskrit numbers meant. For the same celestial bodies ancient tamil words also available.

If you observe the sanskrit no.s you can find all numbers specifies certain celestial bodies moving in the distance one by one
as the sanskrit no. followed.

But on the whole the roots of the sanskrit no.s lies in the 'distance'
and equivalent words / roots of 'distance'.

Let us take one by one.

Asthami - Aththam - Aththu in tamil means 'ellai' (measured by distance). Lot of 'kilavis' of same meaning available in tamil. AththuMeeri, Aththi,Aththan,Aththai are some of them.

Navami - Avam turned navam. 'Avam' means third person which is out of I and II person. It also specifies the distance in nature.

Sapthami - Saththam - means 'tholaivu' - saththu is the root.
'Vandi saththam' is measured depending on 'tholaivu'. A sound which reaches some distance is identified depending upon its distance and so 'Saththam'.

Dasami- Thayami

Ay - Ayavu means Broad / Breadth
Ay-Thai- Thayavu - Broad minded - Thayai - Thasai an expansion of length

Thasai turned 'Das'-Dasami.

Mr.Soloman 'Root words research' is not as you specified in some other column as 'funny'.

Comtemporary meaning, Suttu oligal, Oru porul Kilavikal makes the languages meaningful and this research is followed by all historians of all times.

Simply you cannot claim this words sounds like this- That forms the root- approach.

So far Archelogical proofs also matched with the Antiquity of words and that ceritification is enough.

I can challenge you that I can give roots of all sanskrit words which are lying with tamil.

At the sametime you cannot give / find a single ancient words of tamil has root in sanskrit. If you give I can welcome it.

f.s.gandhi

solomon
22nd June 2005, 06:29 PM
Breaking of words, and finding meanings to spread hates is not a new job, Bible Old Testament' Genesis, dated to 300BCE, uses it, once to Praise- Jacob and aother to hate, similarly for words Betheba , edom etc., and these False Techniques called by Biblical Scholars as Etymoligical Myths to date the book to its date and also its foolishness.

For others I take COMPUTER again- COmputer Processes Datas fed- i.e., Kanithal of Puguthiya Tharavugal = KA+ Pu+thar = Computer
sounds interesting to hear, but when we realise the entire thing is foolish.

Now if U say- A came form B , you need to prove When ? How? Why? and Prove it.
The same words take different meanings over period of time; e.g. * Edited *

Now You need to Prove Your Jibbs were correct with how and when with appropriate Periodic reference and for even amatures your above roots given were meaningless and unwanted waste of time. Agains when we Translate a new word, we try an equivalent- Example- Parliament as Paralumandram, we all know Par means World and even Nadalu is wrong rather Makkal Prethinithigal sabai is ideal, but Dubbing of words is always practiced and hence it is much more easy, for People with hobby of Cross word Puzzle and breaking words to manipulate anything.
Idiayappam- Sanskrit was said as Mother of Greek and LAtin, which by European pride, made Maxmuller 50 years research to call it Elder Sister.
MOsesMohammedSolomon

Idiappam
22nd June 2005, 09:16 PM
* deleted *

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
23rd June 2005, 12:27 PM
Dear Solomon, :)

Mr. Querida started this thread to find the etymology of English words.

Your comment on Latin language is simply childish.

If any sanskrit words are there as roots of English mention it here. Other 'dubious' (as you always say in your passages) statements can be avoided here and put it on 'Tamil is elder to Sanskrit' Thread for healthy discussion.

Liguistic research is the best solution to find out world history. It accumulates archeology,inscriptions,literature and all forms of history research. That is why world scholars follow linguistics.

Tamil was natural language and the coining of words done naturally and not as archestrated way. Some of the new words are produced in accordance with the roots of yesteryears to solve the present purpose that too after Indian independance. This include Political and scientific terms.

Regarding my root words You made comment about 'Computer'.
It really look funny and readers also notify on that.

"Thoonkupavanai Ezhuppalaam- Aanaal Thoonkupavanai Pola Nadippavanai Ezhuppa Mudiyuma ?"

I have already revealed quoting several sources about the root words. This is enough. If you want to refute my views give your proofs since you call all our proofs 'dubious' (refelects your dubious nature)

However here I give my views in reply to your views.

Paraalumantram and Naadaalumantram have same meaning.

Para is root for 'Paar'. Para,parappu, paravai(Kadal). Parravai(Bird), Paar(ulakam) all refers to 'area' as a core and lot of 'kilavikal' same meaning words are there in tamil vocubulary.

Naadu - also means 'paravu' - 'Alai'(roam).'Naft' - an english word came from this root and this was revealed by me in the thread 'Some tamil words in world languages column'.

Ancient 'Enperaayam' & 'Kuzhu' were called 'Aalumantram'. Aalvinai, Aatchi are from root 'Aal'.

Hence the above words are much fittable. Sanskrit 'Lok shaba' & Rajya shaba have same meaning. Lok-lokam-from ulagam.

Raj-Raja- from arasa. Rather, 'makkal avai' & mel avai' also more fittable.

Your 'Makkal prathnithuva sabhai' can be understandable by tamil people only by the word Makkal. If you remove that nobody will understand.

Your forefathers did the same kind of 'myth' in 'Unarchi Pravakam' type of words / phrases.

Your forefather 'Sathyamuthy' time 'Maha Janankalae. Mahanupavarkalae' type was beautifully replaced by 'Periyorkalae and Thaaimarkalae' made you angry and talk about such things as you put it in your passage.

Computer- I give the roots. Compute means calculate.

Latin - Con-putare

Latin existed during 200 B.C. Historically there was connection between Tamil 'Musiri' port and Meditarannian sea countries.

Is there any 'Kilavikal'(same meaning words) in latin from the same root ? No.

Come to tamil. Compare 'Kaanpathu'- means 'parpathu', 'Arivathu'
'Kanakkiduvathu'

'Kan' is the root which specifies 'eye'.

'Kanakku' is from this root. 'Kaniththal' is from this root. We have finished comparing 'kilavikal'.

Hence we claim it is tamil root.

It requires some logic and reasoning and that followed by linguistics. Mr. Solomon :!: I don't want to sum up about your logic and reasoning. :)

Whether 'drunkards' or 'Poets' the assembling of persons is called 'Kalzakam' and this gives the same meaning. Not different meaning.

One word may have slightly differ in meaning depending upon situations. But the core meaning is the same. We should have some deep thinking into that. Not like Mr.Soloman's " Nunipul Mayara maathiri".

I give one English word to solve this purpose.

Take 'conceive'- it means think as well as Pregnancy.

First instance the meaning seems to be different. But if we try to go deeply we find 'Product' is the common meaning.

When you think you produce something.

When you conceive you produce something.

f.s.gandhi

tomato
23rd June 2005, 07:20 PM
Queri,
Don't u think it is time to chage to the title to ' In-depth Etymology' rather than 'Armatuer Etymology' :wink:

Querida
24th June 2005, 03:19 AM
:P yeah tomato...good idea...the only reason Miss Querida used amateur in her title was to keep it that way....just short simple entries people for interest sake :!: :!: :!:

solomon
24th June 2005, 12:43 PM
The English Words
Anchor is from tamil Nangooram
Jinger is from Ingi ver of Tamil , as root is the item we use.

FSG- You have been putting your misunderstood falsehoods as Truths and again you unwantdly attack me on my Latin comments, which is the Truth. Sir William Jones in 18th Cen wrote- The Sanskrit Language.... whatever be its antiquity, more perfect than the Greek, more copius than Latin and more exquisitly refined than either, yet bearing to both of them a Stronger affinity both in the roots and in the form of Grammer, than could possibly have been produced by accident, so strong indeed, that no Philologist could examine all Thre, without believing them to have sprung from some common source, which perhaps no longer exists.

I have proved beyond doubt, that the Biggest Anti-Tamilar but BIG hYpocrite Devaneyan had to agree that Tholkappiyam, to entire Tamil Literature clearly refers Vedas and Sanskrit Literature, and we do not have any Tamil Literature, without the backup of Vedas and Maxmuller took the duty to try to Backdate Vedas and to stop the Idea, Sanskrit as mother of Latin and Greek , which he changed as Elder SIster and this I QUOTE with Blavatsky the founder of Thesophical Society- "Inflectional Spech: the root of the Sanskrit, very erroneously called the "elder sister" of the Greek, instead of its mother- was the first language, now the mystery tongue of the Intiates, othe Fifth Race. The "Semitic " languages are the Bastard descendants of the First Phonetic corruption of the eldest children of the early Sanskrit"- Secret Doctrine. Vol-3 PG 205.
Friends, if I am taking little extra page, because the Falsehood spread in India- in particularly Tamilnadu has become a Poison in Milk Tank and you can click my views and how after every posting others have changed and diverted the Dialogue, without any truths just arguing un blind beliefs, makes things impossible, but truth remains and my further arguements please watch in other forums and I WILL use this for etymology.
MosesMohammedSolomon

Idiappam
24th June 2005, 10:23 PM
Solomon Said:

I have proved beyond doubt, that the Biggest Anti-Tamilar but BIG hYpocrite Devaneyan had to agree that Tholkappiyam, to entire Tamil Literature clearly refers Vedas and Sanskrit Literature,

No you lied. I asked you to post the entire article that Devaneya pavanar wrote . you excused yourself for not have Tamil fonts. I see that as an attempt to wriggle you way out.!

Solomon, if you quote Tamil books, give the whole text in Tamil, no one is going around carrying all those book that you quote to 'support' you!

Querida
25th June 2005, 07:04 AM
Please I ask of you all embroiled in this root fit...if you'd like, start another thread to address such matters... :roll:

Geek: It is commonly touted that geek originally meant a sideshow performer who bites the heads off chickens or snakes. While this is a sense of the word, it is not the original one.

Geek is actually a very old word. It is a variant of geck, a term of Low German/Dutch origin that dates in English to 1511. It means a fool, simpleton, or dupe. Geck is even used by Shakespeare in Twelfth Night, V.i.:

Why haue you suffer'd me to be imprison'd. And made the most notorious gecke and gull That ere inuention plaid on?
The geek spelling is an American variation, even though Shakespeare uses the spelling geeke in Cymbeline V.iv., but this is probably just a misspelling. Geek first appears (outside the single Shakespearean usage) in 1876 America. American usage adds the connotation of offensive or undesirable to the original foolish and stupid sense. The Carnival sideshow sense appears in 1928.

solomon
25th June 2005, 11:06 AM
Friends- Bethel is a common name given to Churches, every body has seen it every where. Hebrew word Beth means house, and El is name of the Deity, but Bible Translators changed noun to generalise to God- House of God- Like Kovil of Tamil. KO-refers God and Il is house.

El, the name comes is all Semitic Languages, like il,ilu, and al in arabi.
As per Bible Lexicons, Seimitics donot have root and the meaning is assumed as Power.
El is a Pure Tamil word, used to refer Sun and God, even today in Chennai and other places Temples are called Ellamman and Ellappan temples. Some places wrongly written as Elliamman.
El - is from Ellai Illathavan or Elumbhutal Illathavan, No boundaries for God, no births or deaths for him.
Bible also uses other names as ElShaddai, Ellohim, Jehovah-YHVH etc.,
ElShaddai is translated as God Almighty- and agains Lexicons say its not based on any base, but assumed and they infer from indirect references a God of Mountains.
Agains Shaddai-to be pronounced SAddai- a Pure Tamil word, comes in Sangam Literatures to till date, refers to God SIVA.
Shaddai refers to His Jadai, head and he has Sun and Moon on right and left side of Jadai. Kabalah of Esoteric Judaism tells all this. And Maraimalai Adigal refered in research this. Secret Doctrines refers it.
Inspite of Maraimalai Adigal referring it, the Hypocrite Devaneyan did not acknoledge it or tried to bring the original word reinstated.

Ellohim, Hebrew follows IndoEurpean Standards and "him" is a plural with Femine term referring to an equivalent of Ammaiyappan of Tamil, and Ellohim -goes as Allahudum in Arabi, shortened as Allah, all refers to God Siva. In Bible Old Testament, Jacob worships ElShaddai as Lingam, Performs Abishekam and he was blessed.

Muslims visit huj evey year, to come round Kabha- Kabha Means Black Lingam(Stone)- Hug is comin round -dOING Prathakshan.

God- incidentley looks similar to Kadavul in tamil, which expands to Ellavarriayum Kadanthavar, and Ellavarilum Ullavar. G- 6th Alphabet, O-d and count it you get 26, that is God is all.

Idiyappam, I ONCE you complained gave the Tamil Version and explained When and Why DEvaneyan confirmed fully that Vedas and Nanmarai are Sanskrit Vedas, i.e., when Ka.Su.Pillai wrote a meaningless book saying that Vedas means some other books of Tamil, In a widely read Ilakiya book Devaneyan has to quit all his frauds he was spreading and accept the truth. You can verify and confirm. If you want any other articles I quoted I can send you by post,Duplicate copies. Accept the Truths.

Sasnskrit was accepted as the source of Greek and Latin, called as Mother of both, But Maxmuller put an arguement- saying it takes a Millenium-1000 years are more for a Language to develop, and hence call Sanskrit as Elder Sister and not mother, as Linguists all over the world accept.

Let us see more word in future.
MosesMohammedSolomon

HindustaniLadka
29th June 2005, 10:18 AM
Solomon, thank you for proving the extremists(FSG and Idiappam) wrong. Unfortunately, Surya and I have been doing this for a while...but they will never stop adn they will continue to make their idiotic claims. Anyway, your contributions are greatly appreciated and i hope you make similar types of contributions in the history forum. You are one of the few knowledgeable hubbers in this forum who is not influenced by fools.

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
29th June 2005, 12:52 PM
By calling us as extremists you call yourself as extremists with one point agenda -Manuvadis. Readers will note that who gives falses and who gives originals.

In all your mentor postings you observe tamil presence. That is enough We have got half victory.

You pat / praise yourself for your sinister look of history.

Time will prove who are real Indian aborigines / foremost civilized people.

"Adakkam Amararul Uyikkum." is valluvam. Do not dance much. 8)

f.s.gandhi

HindustaniLadka
30th June 2005, 06:11 AM
Why don't you actually backup your random claims with actual evidence(non-extremist articles, etc.) instead of blabbering and posting your ignorance.

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
30th June 2005, 10:59 AM
We have put enough evidences. Visit and go through our postings.

Querida
7th July 2005, 11:37 AM
Seems like a thread for Poindexter's don't you think? :P

Poindexter has been an American slang term for an egghead or nerd for decades, but how did the name come to be associated with really smart people. The answer is cartoons. The cartoon character Felix the Cat, creation of Otto Messmer, made his screen debut in 1919, making him one of the most venerable animated characters in existence.

In 1958, Felix made his television debut and for the TV series Felix's new animator, Joe Oriolo, introduced a number of new characters and foils for Felix. Among these were Felix's archnemesis The Professor and his brainy nephew, Poindexter. Allegedly, Oriolo named Poindexter after his lawyer. The popularity of the cartoon ensured that the name Poindexter would be forever associated with intelligence.

Badri
7th July 2005, 11:54 AM
So does Dexter of Dexter's Lab fame owe his name to this word? Interesting!! :)

Querida
7th July 2005, 11:57 AM
oh Badri the kids and i would like to say something to you: Duh!!! :roll: :P

Badri
7th July 2005, 11:58 AM
Q: do you plan to come up with the etymology of "duh" next? :roll:

Querida
7th July 2005, 12:09 PM
:poke: Duh also has a cartoon connection. It is first recorded in a 1943 Merrie Melodies cartoon. There it was used as an expression of inarticulacy and confusion. The insulting use to comment on another's moronic statement dates to the early 1960s.

and just in case:

DOH!: Castellaneta (voice of Homer Simpson) and The Simpson's creator Matt Groening have stated that they came up with the expression in imitation of actor James Finlayson. Finlayson was a sidekick of Laurel and Hardy and used the expression "do-o-o-o-h" as early as 1931 in Laurel and Hardy films and shorts. Finlayson used the interjection as a euphemism for damn. Others used the interjection in the intervening years. Castellanata was not the first since Finlayson, although he did clip Finlayson's pronunciation and formed the contemporary, short pronunciation.

so DOH is :banghead: and DUH is :roll:
and i'm in it for sure if hehehewalrus ever sees this reply!!! :mrgreen:

a.ratchasi
7th July 2005, 01:42 PM
So does Dexter of Dexter's Lab fame owe his name to this word? Interesting!! :)

I was about to ask the same question right after reading Q's post.
Luckily, Badri beat me to it. Otherwise, I would have been duh-ed! :lol: :lol:

solomon
7th July 2005, 03:47 PM
Let us see few words:
Speculation- This is more used to mean forTrading, with more fluctuations.
Speculation is from the Latin word-"Pecunia" means Money.
Now this word has the root, of Latin, surprising for us-"Pecus" means Cattle, Yes earlier trading was by transfer of items in kind from one to other and cattle was important Kind item. Hence- the word for CATTLE changed to Money.
SALARY- the word for wages, again is said from one of the earliest important item i.e., Salt; and incidently the Tamil Word is ambalam-end is from UPPALAM refering Salt.

We saw numbers earlier and the whole world calls, 9th,10th etc, month as 7th 8th etc., wrongly in spite of knowing the etymology.
Now for the names of Numerals in English-
One and Eight are mostly from Tamil-ONDRU and ETTU.
2-Two is from Sanskrit- Thuvithiyai- Two
3-Three is from Sanskrit- Thrithiyai-Three
4 and 5 are not clear
6-Six from Sanskrit-Sashti-Six
7-Seven from Sanskrit -Saptami
9-From Navami etc., was seen
For Number One in Sanskrit we have many words- Pratham, Aadhi etc.,
Tamil Dictionary was Agarathi- however TN Govt. Dictionay Project name changed at the instance of Pavanar and other scholars to AGARAMOODALI- to leave theSanskrit Aadhi.
Thiruvalluvar had no problem in using Aadhi in his Kural No.1 and Kural-543 as, Agara Mudala Eluthellam Aathi..., and Anthanar Noorkum Arathirkum Aathiyai..., (We may get small Fables, not appropriate Linguistically but good timepass) The Leader of the Government is called PRIME Minister- from PRAtham-thabecoming silent, and Tamil used Prathmar itself. Prime Number etc., are from same roots.
We are all familiar with Prakrit- Sanskrit is more refined and highly Gramatical language, but little spoiled spoken one is Prakrit. PraKrit- is from Pratham and Kritham meaning First written..
English wORDS "Script "and "Scripture "are from this Kritham.

I GIVE full text which have been clarified ealier, but lies spread against me.
Quote of Pavanar was- "Samaskrithathin Thalai Sirantha Ilakkana Noolakiya Paniniyam Paniniyal BC-4m Noorandil Iyarrap pattathu. Ilakkana Noolai Viyakarnam enbar VAdanoolar. Annorku mun Ennilakkana Noolkal Iyarrpattathaka Sollap paukindrathu. Avarrul muthalathu Vetha Kalthatu enapadum Iyendiram"- Page 56,57 TamilAR Varalaru.
Let us see more words later.
MosesMohammed Solomon.

Idiappam
8th July 2005, 12:25 AM
Solomon lied again:

I GIVE full text which have been clarified ealier, but lies spread against me.
Quote of Pavanar was- "Samaskrithathin Thalai Sirantha Ilakkana Noolakiya Paniniyam Paniniyal BC-4m Noorandil Iyarrap pattathu. Ilakkana Noolai Viyakarnam enbar VAdanoolar. Annorku mun Ennilakkana Noolkal Iyarrpattathaka Sollap paukindrathu. Avarrul muthalathu Vetha Kalthatu enapadum Iyendiram"- Page 56,57 TamilAR Varalaru.
Let us see more words later.
MosesMohammed Solomon.

That is not the full text. YOu are well know for you mischief of selective quoting. I have given the full text of Pavanar from the Book you quoted - in Tamil in another thread. Anyone reading it full understand that Pavanar is saying exact opposite of what you are saying.

Stop your mischeif.

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
9th July 2005, 11:56 AM
Dear Friends, :)

Today Indian central Government somewhat has recognized tamil by opening an institutional set up to carryout more research on tamil. Mr.Arjun Singh announced this. Good turning but delayed step.

Here, I furthermore complement Mr. Solomons passage. My intension is Mr. Solomon still deeply should go into the roots of words and not stopping in the middle.

Latin ‘Pecunia’ is from tamil ‘Pokkiam,Poekkiam/ Pokkisam’which means wealth / money.

Cattle is from from Latin ‘capitale’ which means stock and it is from tamil ‘Kappam’ which means stock of money (kappal for ship from same root). I showed in ‘Thinamum oru Varththai’ thread that ‘Madu’(cattle) means selvam (wealth).

English sea is from ‘Sae’ Old English which is from tamil ‘Seyam’ which specifies Sea and Sea shore. Saei, Seyon also from root ‘saei’ which means distance. Sea was having unmeasurable length that is why it is called ‘Seyam’.

Salt is from Old English ‘sealt’ which clearly specifies a thing from sea.

Sampalam is created word in tamil during Britishers time in equivalent to ‘Salary’

Sanmanam / kodai are the equivalent words in tamil. Alam means near in tamil and it is nothing to do with alam in sampalam.

Any word should have been formulated first by verbial expressions. The noun form will come later. The nos. indentification should have come still later.

A man will see a thing and find its nature or movement,expresses it in word and then word will become noun. So many parallel nouns should be counted and for that purpose he invents nos.

‘Thuvai’ is a verb signifies ‘Thuvaiththal’ which means smashing the thing. And after that the one unique thing will turn into two. Men numbered it as two. Note Sanskirt does not have verbial expression of this word and it used readymade ‘Thuvai’ (as in Thuvaitham) to specify only number. No similarity words in Sanskrit to specify verbial expressions. Hence ‘Thuvai’ is tamil word to specify two with synonym word ‘Iru’ / Erandu.

‘Thiripu’ means in its verbial expression ‘to change into a third one’. For example ‘Milk turns curd and if it is damaged it is called ‘thirintha paal’ which is its third form. English /French ‘Tri’ and Sanskrit ‘Thrithiyai’ are from Tamil ‘thiripu’. ‘Thiri kadukam’ a sankam literature can be noted in this. And lot of words are there in tamil from this root..

I have already expressed other nos. of Sanskrit and their formation in this thread.

‘Prathamam’ specifies ‘Parathamam’ and my lengthy discussion was made in ‘Tamil roots of Sanskrit thread’. ‘Param’- tamil is the root.

‘Aathi’ is tamil word Aatharavu,Aathavan,Aathan, Aatharam,Aathavam,Aatham, Aathikkam, Aathiran and lot of words are there in tamil from this root and Sanskrit does not have single word other than ‘Aathi’ and it used tamil word readilymade. Athi, Athikaram, Pathi are some of the words Sanskrit used directly from tamil.

Pavanar and Government might have thought that they can use synonym to show that tamil can withstand independently without having matching its dialect words. For example paraithal. Sepputhal, Solluthal – all are tamil words and paraithal and sepputhal turned into the part of tamil dialects / other languages.

‘Kirutham’ has root in tamil ‘Karu’. The meaning ‘Written’ is not sound and actual. The English Script / Scripture definitely means ‘Karu’.

I ask Mr. Solomon still deeply into roots and once again not do the ‘Nunipul- direct’ research.

f.s.gandhi

Nayagan
20th July 2005, 04:10 AM
Here are some words that were borrowed from Tamil.

* cheroot ---> from tamil curuttu (cigar )
* mulligatawny ---> from milakutanni (rasam :) )
* catamaran ----> Kattumaram (boat like vessel)
* pandal ------> pandhal?? from tamil i think though not sure

solomon
1st August 2005, 03:28 PM
Friends,
Let us see an Interesting happening in Madras.

A Bridge On Renovation a Stone Inscription was to be made and the Junior Engineer- made it as "BARBER BRIDGE", and the Senior asked why- he said the Bridge is above Koovam and below- the Barbers-Ambattans used to Cut hair and do Shaving and hence is tamil is called AMBATTAN VARAVATHI- so I TRANSLATED it as Barber Bridge, the Senior consulted and found the Truth.

The Bridge was built by British and called as HAMILTON Bridge, but wrong Pronunsations changed as Ambattan and Later date people changed as if the word has some meaning as referred earlier.

Friends, Etymology is a way to look, but noT Solid proof, only helps to Speculate, and for each word of Other Language-we can see various interpretations, and First thing is SEE whether the Other Language had used in Literature earlier and as accepted Cronology of Majority Universal Scholars. FSG pOOR kNOWLEDGE of Sangam Literature is exposed already, and I Accept he has deceptive skill of breaking words which is not science of Linguistics but Speculation.
MosesMohammedSolomon

F.S.Gandhi vandayar
1st August 2005, 07:07 PM
Solomon will derive Mayiladuthurai-Mayuram-Mayavaram-Aha, :!: Mayavaram has purana as an asura got varam from Siva and so and so story and this signifies Vedhic culture. :!:

The same he is doing with everything In tamil literature.

I have already expressed the basis of root words research. Vedhics blinds can't think creatively. :!:

Solomon :!: wait till international scholar's accredition :!: That too they have to fit it with fraud vedhic culture :!:

All readers know your crooked methods :!:

f.s.gandhi

star559
26th November 2005, 04:00 AM
wow that's really interesting.

Dont listen to what they have to say, take pride in your work and believe in your self.

Querida
6th December 2005, 08:03 AM
Thanx Star! :D

didn't see your reply...because just left visiting this thread to let the "duelling of diction dally" :P

gaddeswarup
6th December 2005, 09:24 AM
[tscii:5842915b2e]From:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Citr_sin.html

"Most names of orange in European tongues ultimately derive from Sanskrit nagaruka [?/µœ›>=]or naranga [?/œ¢µ] which was transmitted via Arabic (obsolete naranjah [Ê—ÊÃ…]) and Persian (Modern Farsi narenj [Ê«—ÊÃ]). The word is, however, not native to Sanskrit, but has been loaned from some other, unrelated tongue; it has been speculated that the ancient source language belonged to the Austro-Asiatic language family, but another explanation tries to establish a link to a Dravidian root “fragrant”. Compare Tamil narandam [???????] “bitter orange”, nagarukam [????????] “sweet orange” and nari [????] “fragrance”."
Does anybody know more about this?
Swarup
[/tscii:5842915b2e]

pooja.shankar
29th January 2006, 03:43 PM
well the word sincere is frm sin cera in spanish meaning without wax .....

ancient sculptors in spain used to cover their flaws with wax
so wen a sculpture is sin cera ....it is a good one without flaws...

so sincera meant anything original , without flaws...
and honest

so then came the english word sincere

chevy
29th October 2007, 02:13 PM
Coool... thread.. !! really good... !! Shud revive this

chevy
29th October 2007, 02:15 PM
:poke: Duh also has a cartoon connection. It is first recorded in a 1943 Merrie Melodies cartoon. There it was used as an expression of inarticulacy and confusion. The insulting use to comment on another's moronic statement dates to the early 1960s.

and just in case:

DOH!: Castellaneta (voice of Homer Simpson) and The Simpson's creator Matt Groening have stated that they came up with the expression in imitation of actor James Finlayson. Finlayson was a sidekick of Laurel and Hardy and used the expression "do-o-o-o-h" as early as 1931 in Laurel and Hardy films and shorts. Finlayson used the interjection as a euphemism for damn. Others used the interjection in the intervening years. Castellanata was not the first since Finlayson, although he did clip Finlayson's pronunciation and formed the contemporary, short pronunciation.

so DOH is :banghead: and DUH is :roll:
and i'm in it for sure if hehehewalrus ever sees this reply!!! :mrgreen: :D :D :D

chevy
29th October 2007, 02:16 PM
Here are some words that were borrowed from Tamil.

* cheroot ---> from tamil curuttu (cigar )
* mulligatawny ---> from milakutanni (rasam :) )
* catamaran ----> Kattumaram (boat like vessel)
* pandal ------> pandhal?? from tamil i think though not sure :)

chevy
29th October 2007, 02:18 PM
The root for English word 'abnegate' is ab negare (Latin).

ab - away , negare - to deny

Compare the tamil word 'Nagaru' means 'go away or deny'. We find tamil root. wOW! .... how do u come up with this ?!