PDA

View Full Version : Best Batsman of our times

jaiganes
12th June 2005, 05:46 PM
Hubbers!
Lets discuss some non controversial cricket topic.
Who do you feel is the best batsman of our times?
Is it our very own sachin tendulkar, or the prince of Carribeans Bran Lara or the King of Oz Ricky ponting or the ever dependable Inzamam Ul Haque of Pakistan?

j.chenkalvarayan
12th June 2005, 05:53 PM
jg, please include robin singh in your list and let's see who wins the poll.

Thiru
12th June 2005, 07:56 PM
ponting and haq??? i dont think they are on the same level as sachin and lara...

nirosha sen
12th June 2005, 08:12 PM
It's Brian, Pa!! Not Brain or Bran!!!! :D

Raghu
12th June 2005, 08:27 PM
Ponting & Inzamam is GREAT joke :lol: :lol: :lol:

has any of u forgot Sanath Jayasurya, far far better batsmen than the above tow pathetic jokers, one pls chk his statistic b4 posting :twisted:

gaddeswarup
12th June 2005, 08:53 PM
If you include Lara and Tendulkar, it is better to wait for a few more years. I think that Tendulkar was ahead 3 years ago and Lara is ahead now. Both are still batting and things may change.
swarup

hehehewalrus
13th June 2005, 03:00 AM
Make it clear whether it is Test or ODI. Because after the stats bring out the cold realities, some might use lame excuses for their initial childish remarks
2. Or they might accuse umpires/Match Referees of bias when their icons are brutally exposed for what they are
3. Or they might finally say stats are nothing when faced with the cruel realities :)

malligai
13th June 2005, 12:40 PM
It's Brian, Pa!! Not Brain or Bran!!!! :D :lol: :lol:

j.chenkalvarayan
13th June 2005, 01:05 PM
best captain - captain vijayakanth

Chappani
13th June 2005, 06:37 PM
That was a good one

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Raghu
14th June 2005, 02:34 PM
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/TopTen.asp

hows tat, Murali rulzzzzzzz

Raghu
14th June 2005, 02:36 PM
That was a good one

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Chapani pathu nama gapthan AeI -nu sonal theriyum thane enna nadakum-nu

Neenga Damil Gapthanoda besum bothu kavanama besunga ba besunga :rotfl: :rotfl:

Raghu
14th June 2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/INT-XI_MCC_TSUNAMI_14JUN2005.html

Oh Boy Oh Boy, look at the openers for the world XI team,

SANATH & SEWAG, what an awsome pair of MASTER BLASTERS, hope they get a HUGE SCORE :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: and HELP the VICTIMS of TSUNAMI :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 10:50 PM
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/TopTen.asp

Jayasuriya is nowhere near the top 10

hehehewalrus
30th June 2005, 12:31 AM
A wonderful and excellent analysis which answers the question. There are a couple of factors which are given improper weightage, I will write on those later.
However, note that questions like these shouldnt be childishly answered in one line, well balanced analysis is a must.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/Cricket_Articles/Statistical_Analysis/The_Second_Best_Test_Batsman_-_A_Statistical_Perspective_%28Part_I%29/

http://www.cricbuzz.com/Cricket_Articles/Statistical_Analysis/The_Second_Best_Test_Batsman_-_A_Statistical_Perspective_%28Part_II%29/

Vini Vidi Vici
4th July 2005, 11:07 PM
The ever best Bat's man had always been Batman.

blahblah
6th July 2005, 03:48 PM
JG,you have so miserably missed out Gilchrist,Dravid,Graeme Smith and ofcourse our beloved Sehwag.Hope you are talking about present times. :D

nilavupriyan
6th July 2005, 06:54 PM
who other than our child faced sachin
sachin sachin sachin
none other

sanjay
11th July 2005, 02:49 PM
blahblah,
sehwag & greame smith - in best batsman's list?

U have lived upto Ur name - blahblah.

selvakumar
11th July 2005, 04:29 PM
sachin and Lara.

blahblah
14th July 2005, 04:19 PM
blahblah,

In your eagerness to belittle me,you chose to forget that both Sehwag and Graeme Smith have a test average above 55.Again you ignored the fact that people in India and South Africa prefer to see these two players in action more than Sachin or Lara today.

I feel that you deserve my username more than me! :D

Try to digest your earlier encounters with me Pal[though I know that it would be quite difficult for you].But if you have to carry the burden for a lifetime,I have no objections. :lol:

MADDY
14th July 2005, 04:44 PM
I dunno, i always bring out a strange opinion in various forums....so this forum is no different- the best batsman of my time,according to me is ADAM GILCHRIST........he is so destructive that bowlers piss in their pants just looking at him.......he is also the best all-rounder of all times.......and the most important thing is that he is more consistent than the 2 gr8s sachin and lara.......

hehehewalrus
14th July 2005, 08:14 PM
blahblah,

In your eagerness to belittle me,you chose to forget that both Sehwag and Graeme Smith have a test average above 55.

blahblah, unfortunately 55 is far far less compared to the great Krishnamachari Srikkanth(aka Cricket God of TN fans) whose average of 28 is the highest by any test opener in the last 20 years :P

blahblah
15th July 2005, 03:47 PM
[quote="MADDY"]I dunno, i always bring out a strange opinion in various forums....so this forum is no different- the best batsman of my time,according to me is ADAM GILCHRIST.......[quote]

Please note that I have named Gilchrist along with Sehwag and Smith.I didn't mention Lara and Sachin because they were already mentioned in this thread and are natural candidates for the post.But Sanju boy doesn't seem to have noted anyone else other than myself and walrus. :lol:

saradhaa_sn
27th July 2005, 11:49 AM
Sachin might be good batsman ONCE. But now....???. Sorry.

The one and only reliable Batsman (with minimum guarantee of 50) is none other than 'Non-selfish' Rahul Dravid.

Ganguly may not be a good batsman now. But he is the best captain for ever. No other person is suitable for Captaincy for leading Indian team.

Consistent
1st August 2005, 11:57 AM
How come ppl forget Dravid :? He is my fav

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 12:20 PM
Dravid = god against moderate attacks and helpless mortal against great attacks.

Nerd
1st August 2005, 12:30 PM
Its B.C. Lara.. no one else :D

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 12:39 PM
Dravid = god against moderate attacks and helpless mortal against great attacks.

Can you explain this plz

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 12:46 PM

Can you explain this plz

Sure. But only if you produce proof of your seriousness with some initial groundwork yourself.

Sanguine Sridhar
1st August 2005, 12:57 PM
I like Ponting...I dunno why ppl are against him.. :?

Nerd
1st August 2005, 12:58 PM
Becks, its juz coz ponting likes India so much that he never misses an oppurtunity to rape the indian bowlers :lol2:

j.chenkalvarayan
1st August 2005, 12:59 PM
best batsmen definitely has to be adam gilchrist.

Sanguine Sridhar
1st August 2005, 01:02 PM
I personally believe that Ponting did well both as batsman and captain...In India i think Dravid the best

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 01:06 PM
Becks, its juz coz ponting likes India so much that he never misses an oppurtunity to rape the indian bowlers :lol2:

what're u talking about? do u know what is ponting's performance while playing in india?? Avg 12.28 from 8 Tests.

Anything wrong with this thread? Why is a good thread like this selectively chosen to dump all kinds of nonsensical statements by postors who simply dont bother to do a tiny milligram of research before posting? :?

85% of posts here are emotional trash :(

j.chenkalvarayan
1st August 2005, 01:14 PM
walrus annen,
don't include me in the list. i stopped watching cricket only 2 few years before. before that i used to be an ardent follower of the game. so i expressed my opinion. here's an extract from one of my friend's blog . he is a cricket fanatic:

Gilly the most destructive batsman on earth

It has been a long time since i blogged simply because I have run out of topics to write about and todayI thought I could write something about the destructive Adam Gilchrist (Gilly).

I just love the Australian team and Gilly is one of the main reasons why I like Australia. Recently, there was a poll carried out by the wisden cricketer magazine on the most feared batsman in the game and about 20 international bowlers were interviewed and this included Brett Lee, Bhajju, Muralidharan and others. I was really more than happy to note that Gilly headed the list.

The way he plays is amazing and his attitude and approach to the game is worth mentioning. His timing is really sweet and be it the cut or the pull or the sweep, it is certainly a delight to watch him execute them. He treats the bowlers with disdain and has no contempt whatsoever and if we take players in his league like Sehwag, Jayasuriya, Cairns, Klusener, Gayle, I dont think anybody else is as consistent and as destructive as Gilly. He has won matches for Australia single handedly and seldom did they lose when he had taken them off to a flier. He is that sort of a player who can change the course of the match in just a few overs.
He is infact the only wicketkeeper in Australia to have captained both the test and one day teams.Not to forget he started the "Walking Syndrome" which has been forgotten for quite some years in the game of cricket and I can only think of Brian Lara doing it and that too in patches. Steve Waugh never believes in walking and has never walked. Of course, it is upto the cricketers to follow gilly's principle of walking and the good thing here is that is he never insists others to walk. He has set a wonderful example and a perfect benchmark and not many will have the nerve to walk in a World Cup Semi-final match as he did.
I enjoy watching him bat and it will be a huge setback for Australia when he retires and it is going to be the toughest task for the Australian selectors to replace a player of his calibre. He will definitely have a place (of course the opening slot) in the All time XI. I also feel that the manner and the spirit in which Gilly plays the game, makes him one of the world's most exciting, popular and destructive cricketers.

Lets wait and watch Gilly's bat do the talking and he is for sure gonna kick ass in the Ashes. Long live the great man......

Nerd
1st August 2005, 01:16 PM

what're u talking about? do u know what is ponting's performance while playing in india?? Avg 12.28 from 8 Tests.

Anything wrong with this thread? Why is a good thread like this selectively chosen to dump all kinds of nonsensical statements by postors who simply dont bother to do a tiny milligram of research before posting? :?

85% of posts here are emotional trash :(

HHHW, I think I should ask the same question to you :x

Did I ever comment on ponting's performace in India?? I just said that ponting rapes indian bowlers and yes, I have proof..

Test matches,
RT Ponting Australia 15 27 3 1253 257 52.20 4

ODIs
RT Ponting Australia 34 34 4 1288 140* 42.93 4

WCs
RT Ponting Australia 4 4 2 199 140* 99.50 1

Seems pontings a bummer against India.. sorry to comment on that :lol2:

Atleast I think I ve proved that my post is not just an emotional outburst :x

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 01:30 PM
JC,
no issues with ur post ;) Gilli is definitely an all time great. He has 15 100s already and 90% of his innings have only the tail for company. Incredible!

Ponting's avg v India in Aus: 108.10
Ponting's avg v India in Ind: 12.28

Enough said.

Sanguine Sridhar
1st August 2005, 01:48 PM
Well what about Sachin's average at aus then?

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 02:08 PM

Sachin's average in Aus is a modest 54 plus, inspite of 4-5 bad decisions in 1999-00. Thank you Sir.

Sanguine Sridhar
1st August 2005, 02:22 PM
Interesting,If you watch closely the performance of Sachin declines after world cup 2003 right? IMHO Sachin should quit cricket when he is in full fame.. then only ppl will give respect..This is my personal opinion, his end should not like Kapil dev

saradhaa_sn
1st August 2005, 02:33 PM
Sachin might be good batsman ONCE. But now....???. Sorry.

The one and only reliable Batsman (with minimum guarantee of 50) is none other than 'Non-selfish' Rahul Dravid.

I quote my same post...

I told before the series started. But my Dravid saved my beleif with his valuable 54 & 52. hats off to new Captain.

alwarpet_andavan
1st August 2005, 03:40 PM

Sachin's average in Aus is a modest 54 plus, inspite of 4-5 baddecisions in 1999-00. Thank you Sir.
Very important point conveniently missed, forgotten or downright ignored by many Sachin critics. Remember the century in Melbourne??? (was MCG, wasn't it?)

inspite of 4-5 bad none more so than the infamous LBW by ducking decision...... :)

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 04:40 PM

Can you explain this plz

Sure. But only if you produce proof of your seriousness with some initial groundwork yourself.

You think I put out that one liner just like that :evil:

Ok,I am not very good at statistics but his major failure has to be the 99-00 series in Australia against their full strength attack.Apart from that he has played well against all bowlers in all sorts of conditions,hasn't he?Now, how many Indian batsmen can claim to have done that?

Don't bring in SMG,Vishy&others here :D ( I view your 'cricket of yesteryear thread&am bowled over by your knowlege-one of the reasons why I asked you to explain),I am referring to contemporary Indian batsmen(not including Sachin,who also has his fair share of failures in India&abroad against good/moderate attacks).

alwarpet_andavan
1st August 2005, 04:47 PM
Cinefan,
Thanks for removing the "e" and thereby saving yourself from my wrath :lol:

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 04:54 PM
Cinefan,
Thanks for removing the "e" and thereby saving yourself from my wrath :lol:

Athu oru Vijay padam senja kolaru :lol:

jaiganes
1st August 2005, 05:41 PM
Aaahaa !!
AA - look at the irony!! Sachein is the Mumbai Express!!!!
What wrong a small 'e' do?

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 05:45 PM
Sachein is the Mumbai Express!!!!

And both flopped-perhaps a reflection on the batsmen concerned's current form.

alwarpet_andavan
1st August 2005, 05:49 PM
Jaiganesan/Cinefan,
The LION is down, but not out. All the more, its an injured lion and wait till it bounces back :)
(This applies for both Sachein and Mumbai Xpress)

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 05:57 PM
Jaiganesan/Cinefan,
The LION is down, but not out. All the more, its an injured lion and wait till it bounces back :)
(This applies for both Sachein and Mumbai Xpress)

Mumbai Xpress bouncing back-I will welcome it with open arms but Sachein-vendame[Naan MX Sachin patti sollale-KB padam dialogue madhiri ille :) ]

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 08:27 PM
Ok,I am not very good at statistics but his major failure has to be the 99-00 series in Australia against their full strength attack. Apart from that he has played well against all bowlers in all sorts of conditions,hasn't he?

It's not at necessary to be good at statistics. But if one diligently goes thru them with an analytical mind, he will observe things not easily seen by the "naked eye".

Here are some instances you asked(note that the preceding and subsequent series in each case had Dravid scoring in Tons):

1) Pak 1998-99: Akram, Akhtar, Younis, Saqlain
53, 10, 33, 29, 24, 13 Avg: 26.00

2) Aus 1999-00: McGrath, Lee, Warne, Fleming
35, 6, 9, 14, 29, 0 : Avg 15+

3) SA 1999-00: Donald, Pollock, Klusener, McMillan
0,22,37,17 Avg: 19.00

This is followed by Zimbabwe tour. What does Dravid do? score 200*, 70*, 162 Avg 432.00 :lol2: If you do similar before-and-after research for all the other instances, you will find such inconsistency - murdering weak attack and failing against a strong attack(i.e, one with 3 world class bowlers)

4) Aus 2004-05: McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, Kasprowicz
0,60,26,21,2,31*,27 Avg: 24.00

Consider that with Amarnath in 83-84: Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Garner and that too in Windies during 5 bouncer an over times:
29,40,58,117,13,91,80,54,116 Avg:66.44 - True greatness!

Dravid is too defensive and the secret of his success is that his game depends on wearing down the opposition using the 'wait-and-watch' mode. This can workout if the opposition has 1 or 2 great bowlers who can be safely seen off.

But his weakness has been exposed when playing a squad of 3+ greats who keep coming at you all the time. In such a case it is just a matter of time before the unplayable delivery comes along...Jimmy had a better record coz he had all the shots to fetch runs and was always in a better position when the unplayable comes to take his wicket.

Now, how many Indian batsmen can claim to have done that?

One guy has done a few times and is promising enough to do it more - Sehwag.

Aside: 148 came when series was lost, 180 came when series was nearly lost, 233 came against Gillespie+Bichel-Warne(bichel = aussie mohanty!), 270 came minus Akhtar. Dravid still needs to prove true greatness, sorry.

Nerd
1st August 2005, 08:41 PM
JC,
no issues with ur post ;) Gilli is definitely an all time great. He has 15 100s already and 90% of his innings have only the tail for company. Incredible!

Ponting's avg v India in Aus: 108.10
Ponting's avg v India in Ind: 12.28

Enough said.

So, u ll juz take those matches he played in India and rate him as a bummer against india?? :clap:

ODI is also another form of cricket and world cup is the most important series to any team in the world, right now.... ODIs are more popular than test matches, most recently.. remember the title of this thread... there wlll be a word, recent..

I dint rate ponting as the best batsman in recent times, though he deserves it to a certain extent, especially if you just consider ODIs.. I said B C Lara and I stick with that...

hehehewalrus
1st August 2005, 09:08 PM
ODI is also another form of cricket and world cup is the most important series to any team in the world, right now.... ODIs are more popular than test matches,

he he he he.
bye bye :wave:

Nerd
1st August 2005, 09:21 PM
aahaa solla vandhuttaruppa.. :rotfl:

Grow up and start enjoying ODIs :lol:

pontings test avg against India - 52.20
pontings ODI avg against India - 42.93

Keep this thing in mind when u r bragging with ur stats... Remember, according to stats viru, gilli might be better players then dravid, even Lara... but world knows who is technically perfect and who has got the skills

Sanguine Sridhar
2nd August 2005, 10:25 AM
Walrus,
Good stats which degrades Dravid.Huh! There are raises and falls in each every players carriers...It happened for Dravid also.To be fair Dravid is a match winner..atleast when the team struggles after losing couple of quick wickets..this wall stood like Hero amoing ruins...Appreciate the fact. He is very cool and calm..and yeah obviously technically perfect.The only problem i find with Dravid is he doesnt have enough stamina...I mean i dont know why you pinpointed only the matches which he gave poor performances.There are lot of matches in which he played wonderfully well... Sehwag u said..okay, he is not an orthodox shot player but yet he is scoring lot of runs or lot of ducks.He is not consistent.So Dravid is much better than Ganguly or Sehwag..Infact i don want to compare with u're gilli cauze even i like him :)

hehehewalrus
2nd August 2005, 10:48 AM
beckamji
i am not interested in any debate. cinefan asks a reason for my statement talking about a particular aspect of Dravid and I gave it. Thats it. Bye

Sanguine Sridhar
3rd August 2005, 05:39 PM
Finally Ganguly crossed 10,000 :D :D :clap:

Thiru
3rd August 2005, 08:33 PM
h3w,

Its easy to undermine the efforts of Dravid based on some situational stats by easily omitting his best knocks or ignoring it as against a weak bowling attack.. Remember that Ganguly and Tendulkar played against this same opposition and look up at their averages vs Dravid...
On an analytical mind, Lets take Dravid's stats AWAY from home.. I'm omitting the weaker oppositions like zimbabwe and Bangladesh. His failures in Away series were
against Srilanka in 1997 (2 test matches), the one against Australia in 99/00 which you had quoted, and in south africa in 01/02 (2 test matches)... Show me one good player away from home against tough oppositions during this period. Sachin to some extent but even his stats dont speak much volume away from India... Its possible for the dinesh mongia and Shiv sunder das to score 200 on a flat wankhede stadium or at ahmedabad and pad up the stats... Have they done it consistently away??
Dravid's game plan is to wait for the mistake from the bowler and capitalise on it (much like steve waugh) than go for his shots and hold out soon in a test match.. Test matches should be played that way and not like Sehwag and Afridi... Its entertaining to watch a 120 ball 100 in a test match but the real essence of test cricket is to wear down the opposition... I'm a big fan of Jimmy and you had quoted his 66 average against the lethal windies attack.. Great but look what Dravid did against Ambrose, Walsh and bishop in Westindies during their prime... Dravid in my opinion has to be one of the greatest batsman during our times...

1) India in England, 1996 [Series]
Eng 2 187 95 62.33 0 2 - - - - 1 0
Dominic Cork, Alan Mullaly and Chris Lewis

2) India in South Africa, 1996/97 [Series]
SA 3 277 148 55.40 1 1 - - - - 6 0
Donald, Pollock, Mcmillan and klusener

3) India in West Indies, 1996/97 [Series]
WI 5 360 92 72.00 0 4 - - - - 5 0
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Rose

4) India in New Zealand, 1998/99 [Series]
NZ 2 321 190 107.00 2 0 - - - - 4 0
Cairns, Nash, Doull and Vettori

5) India in West Indies, 2001/02 [Series]
WI 5 404 144* 57.71 1 2 1 1/18 18.00 0 5 0
Dillon, Cuffy, Collymore, collins

6) India in England, 2002 [Series]
- 4 602 217 100.33 3 1 - - - - 10 0
Hoggard, Caddick, Tudor and Giles

7) India in Pakistan, 2003/04 [Series]
Ind 3 309 270 77.25 1 0 - - - - 4 0
Akthar, Sami and Gul

hehehewalrus
3rd August 2005, 09:09 PM
h3w,
Dravid's game plan is to wait for the mistake from the bowler and capitalise on it (much like steve waugh) than go for his shots and hold out soon in a test match..
Steve Waugh is much better than Dravid when it comes to scoring fast.

Test matches should be played that way and not like Sehwag and Afridi... Its entertaining to watch a 120 ball 100 in a test match but the real essence of test cricket is to wear down the opposition...
There is no point in wearing down the opposition if in doing so, you prevent the match getting a positive result. Dravid's game often does this.
Also pls dont underrate sehwag by comparing with afridi. Sehwag's test average is twice that of srikkanth and afridi, he compares very favorably with Hayden, G Smith, etc. His intelligence is underestimated, he is more analytical than people think, all said and done, his avg is near to 55.00 and that speaks for itself.

I'm a big fan of Jimmy and you had quoted his 66 average against the lethal windies attack.. Great but look what Dravid did against Ambrose, Walsh and bishop in Westindies during their prime...
You may dislike this but anyway I will go ahead:

1) I remember following the series live and Tony Cozier said other than Barbados all other test matches were played on flattest pitches - to check up just look at the scores of jadeja, sidhu, laxman etc. when jadeja opens, it tells a lot about the pitch doesnt it?

2) Ambrose, Bishop(I dont think he played much) were past their prime(i am referring to pace). Ambrose's was 92-93, Bishop was 89-90, he was never the same after his back surgery in 1990. Ambrose never ran thru the indian innings except at Barbados(that was due to uneven bounce, not extra bounce) which tells a lot about about how flat the pitch was.

3) When you pull up stats like this, key factor is you should consider a) strength of the bowlers b) relative performance of others c) whether the pitches were result oriented d) performance in losing matches

In Jimmy's case,
a) Marshall, Roberts, Holding all had 20+ wickets
b) Jimmy scored 598 in the series, next highest was Vengsarkar with 279.
c) Windies won 2 tests and India saved 1 test - so they were mostly lively pitches
d) almost always top scorer in losing matches

Apply these 4 factors to these examples you pulled and re-read them urself, I will save some typing for myself:

1) India in England, 1996 [Series]
Eng 2 187 95 62.33 0 2 - - - - 1 0
Dominic Cork, Alan Mullaly and Chris Lewis

3) India in West Indies, 1996/97 [Series]
WI 5 360 92 72.00 0 4 - - - - 5 0
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Rose

4) India in New Zealand, 1998/99 [Series]
NZ 2 321 190 107.00 2 0 - - - - 4 0
Cairns, Nash, Doull and Vettori

5) India in West Indies, 2001/02 [Series]
WI 5 404 144* 57.71 1 2 1 1/18 18.00 0 5 0
Dillon, Cuffy, Collymore, collins

6) India in England, 2002 [Series]
- 4 602 217 100.33 3 1 - - - - 10 0
Hoggard, Caddick, Tudor and Giles

2) India in South Africa, 1996/97 [Series]
SA 3 277 148 55.40 1 1 - - - - 6 0
Donald, Pollock, Mcmillan and klusener

7) India in Pakistan, 2003/04 [Series]
Ind 3 309 270 77.25 1 0 - - - - 4 0
Akthar, Sami and Gul

Akthar pulled out after Day 4 of Test 3.

Do you really think Sami, Gul, Tudor, Giles, Caddick, Dillon, Cuffy, Collymore, collins, Nash, Doull and Vettori are great bowlers? Most of them havent been selected for more than 20 tests even in this period of hectic schedules.

hehehewalrus
3rd August 2005, 09:23 PM
also one big difference between sachin and dravid.

dravid has several 500+ scores for a series, sachin has less.
But sachin has several great 100s against terrific opposition(3+ great bowlers) on tough pitches:

Perth 114 1991-92
Durban 1992-93
Edgbaston 122 1996-97
Capetown 169 1996-97
Chennai 136
Melbourne 116
Durban 155

dravid?

PS: i am not interested in discussing any innings where # of great bowlers < 3

Thiru
3rd August 2005, 10:01 PM
I was comparing the quick scoring of Afridi and sehwag against Dravid.. Not Sehwag in par with Afridi...

I do consider Dillon, Giles and Vettori as very good bowlers and few other mentioned in the list as good bowlers ON THEIR OWN SOIL..

I dont understand your 3+ great bowlers statement.. You can dissect each and every player and point out that he was not good at a particular thing... For example(not a fact), Viv richards might have a 25 average when opposition has 3 great spin bowlers... or sachin tendulkar has a 10.00 average when there is more than one left handed seamer... These sort of situational stats dont prove a point to undermine the ability of a player.. A real weak point is something like Ganguly against the short ball or cullinan's inability to play warne...
Test match batting is about patience, concentration and gutting it out there...Dravid can tire 3 world class bowlers for a whole day and still get out to a part time bowler.. Does it make him a
poor player or does it make the part time bowler really great??
How many times does a team have 3+ great bowlers in a team at their peak at a time?? You are singling out dravid as a non-performer against 3 + great bowlers in a bowling wicket... Tell me the consistent performers in that scenario apart from Sachin's knocks u've mentioned?? I can show you instances and situations where sachin has failed and that doesnt take anything away from being a great player... And btw, the great 136 in chennai added upto nothing because of a lapse in concentration..... A Great player doesnt mean performing in all conditions under all situations... There's always a "law of averages" in every sport..

hehehewalrus
4th August 2005, 02:10 AM
i have seen enough debates like this so i will stop here

all i wanted to show was that at the end of his career sachin/lara/inzamam/amarnath have 100s to show against world class attacks, which is considerably less for dravid.

jaiganes
4th August 2005, 10:04 AM
walrus!
Perhaps it was not just the seal you ate that was sour.
I rest my argument.

alwarpet_andavan
4th August 2005, 12:47 PM

But sachin has several great 100s against terrific opposition(3+ great bowlers) on tough pitches:

Perth 114 1991-92
Durban 1992-93
Edgbaston 122 1996-97
Capetown 169 1996-97
Chennai 136
Melbourne 116
Durban 155

dravid?

:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
HHWR,
Add this one to THE LION'S list....

Sydney 148 1991-92

Alien
4th August 2005, 01:33 PM
Its B.C.Lara :thumbsup: :P definitely not the "selfish" sachin :lol2: :lol2: Now don't u anyone ask me evidences for his selfishness, It should be very obvious if u come out of that "Indian fan" shell :wink:

alwarpet_andavan
4th August 2005, 02:56 PM
Its B.C.Lara :thumbsup: :P definitely not the "selfish" sachin :lol2: :lol2: Now don't u anyone ask me evidences for his selfishness, It should be very obvious if u come out of that "Indian fan" shell :wink:
Ask Brian's team mates who's the selfish one and they'll tell you :)

alwarpet_andavan
4th August 2005, 02:58 PM

Perth 114 1991-92
Durban 1992-93
Edgbaston 122 1996-97
Capetown 169 1996-97
Chennai 136
Melbourne 116
Durban 155

dravid?

:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
HHWR,

Sydney 148 1991-92
HHWR made an important point. People just look at "pitches away from home" and generally assume that all away-pitches are difficult to bat on, which is not true. Especially, the present day W.I pitches, for quite sometime now have been nothing but "maN tharaigal"........

hehehewalrus
4th August 2005, 08:10 PM
HHWR,

Sydney 148 1991-92

alwarpetji,
i selectively omitted that coz Shastri made 206, India made 483, which makes it sound like a good batting wicket. I only quoted the games where Sachin was MILES AHEAD of the other 21 guys in every aspect.

something i cant do for dravid :smile2:

Alien
5th August 2005, 12:19 PM
Ask Brian's team mates who's the selfish one and they'll tell you :)
U really think so :shock: Or oops... u mean they would tell Sachin :lol: :wink:

alwarpet_andavan
5th August 2005, 12:37 PM
HHWR,

Sydney 148 1991-92

alwarpetji,
i selectively omitted that coz Shastri made 206, India made 483, which makes it sound like a good batting wicket. I only quoted the games where Sachin was MILES AHEAD of the other 21 guys in every aspect.

Good point, i missed that aspect.......

lancelot
1st December 2005, 01:39 PM
i want to say Sachin... but Lara allways gets in the way... he is a master......
i can remember him playing Murali in SL once.... when WI were strugling... he looked so commfy against murali....
and now with Australia. he made a briliant 200......

if u ask me to pick one Sachin or Lara... i like Sachin better.... but when it coms to best in the world... i think Lara if just ahed of sachin....

hehe
:D

nilavupriyan
1st December 2005, 01:52 PM
sachin

sachin

sachin

sachin

sachin

lancelot
1st December 2005, 02:00 PM
NIlavu!!! i think u made yo point the first time... dont need to say it 5 times

hehe
:D

abbydoss1969
1st December 2005, 07:46 PM
sachin ; world's best batsman on indian wickets

dravid : india's best batsman on foreign wickets.

Inzamam: best asian batsman of fast bowling(most comfortable)

Lara : the world's bestsman on any wicket when the mood
takes him.

Raghu
6th December 2005, 08:57 PM
Ricky Ponting should NOT be in the list, rather Sanath Jayasurya should be on it!!!

Thiru
14th December 2005, 10:42 PM
Ricky Ponting should NOT be in the list, rather Sanath Jayasurya should be on it!!!

I dont agree with that.. Sanath is a good batsman under his favorable conditions.. In my opinion, Attapattu and Mahela are better than Sanath, but thats just me..

S.Balaji
14th December 2005, 11:54 PM
Raghu....

Ricky Ponting is a different class altogether...had proved time and again in DIFFERENT CONDITIONS.....

Has scored 24 centuries and has to be ranked amongst one of the best batsman of our times

He was highly successful in one dayers as well...

Sanath's favourite pitches are sub continent pitches....only once he scored in England and Australia.....

Aamaammm adhu enna Unga naattu aal dhaan greataaa ??!!

Sundar12345
7th January 2006, 09:36 PM
Both Ponting and IHQ are in grreat form. Both have got 4 hundrends in 3 test matches.

Both Sacchin and Lara are breaking the world records.

All the 4 are Fantastic.

To select one from them is as foolish as saying that "THIS STAR in the SKY IS BEST OR THE OTHER"

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:18 AM
Only few votes for Sachin :twisted:

Thirumaran
29th May 2008, 10:21 AM
Ulagathukae therinja visayathukku oru poll :twisted:

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:22 AM
Sinna pulla thanama options vera :twisted:

MADDY
29th May 2008, 10:34 AM
IMO, Best test batsman - Lara/Dravid
Best ODI batsman - Adam Gilchrist

Vivasaayi
29th May 2008, 10:38 AM

:?

its dravid who shines in new zealand,australian west indian conditions ..in test match cricket.
his record in foriegn nations is better than in india!

Kalyasi
29th May 2008, 10:51 AM

:shock: :shock:

sriranga
29th May 2008, 11:06 AM

:?

its dravid who shines in new zealand,australian west indian conditions ..in test match cricket.
his record in foriegn nations is better than in india!

playing no.3 for a country where the no 1 and no 2 opening combination can be any two from Tom, Dick and Harry.

or a few times Dravid himself will open with one of Tom, Dick and Harry.

Most of the time, when Dravid comes in he faces new ball and fresh bowlers while the rest of the middle order face older balls and slightly tired bowlers. The only time they would have faced new ball in their test cricketing life is the second new ball after an 80 over innings.

Ithellam kanakulla eduthukamaatangala. :banghead:

directhit
29th May 2008, 11:22 AM
Lara, any day 8-) 8-)

thilak4life
29th May 2008, 11:28 AM
ODI batsmen

Opener - Hayden/Sachin/Gilchrist

Upper Middle order - Ponting/Kallis/Lara

Lower middle order - Bevan/Symonds

Test batsmen:
(Regardless of order, the players who play impeccable cricketing shots against the best of bowlers, and in different surface)

Usual suspects: Sachin, Lara, Kallis

Special mention: Effective, and hardworking Ricky Ponting.

(all IMO, and all contemporary)

Btw I voted for Ponting, as he's underrated in some circles.

thilak4life
29th May 2008, 11:30 AM
Inzie at his best, is unstoppable. He's an unbelievable player at times, but more often than not, he under performs, and quite casual for my liking.

wrap07
29th May 2008, 12:34 PM
Dravid/sachin/lara

Dravid for his technical competence and his ability to see through the new ball so that middle order can play with freedom. it is another matter that most of the times he is forced to come in within first few overs and works like an opener. He has excelled in seaming/moving conditions is a trait that few can boast of.

Sachin-

for all the style and stroke making and unsettling the opposition by quick scoring and making big reputations into small. His records speak for themselves. A great array of strokes, domination and changing the context of match with one innings.
lara

nothing needs to be said. He is a treat to watch when on song. Once he gets set, big scores becomes his second nature and never tires out after a century. Lively player.

Ramakrishna
29th May 2008, 08:31 PM

Sachin fan-aama avaru :lol2:

Ramakrishna
29th May 2008, 08:31 PM

:o

Nerd
29th May 2008, 08:53 PM

I strongly condemn quoting posts that are > 2 years old :twisted: people do grow up :oops: also situation/opponents in an argument matter.. And I still feel that lara > sachin in test cricket but the margin is very less..

Ramakrishna
29th May 2008, 08:55 PM

I strongly condemn quoting posts that are > 2 years old :twisted: people do grow up :oops:

othukittaa seri :lol2:

Vivasaayi
29th May 2008, 09:11 PM
TENDULKAR - a phenomenon.The charisma he brought to the game.the influence he had on people - unmatched!

There may be a player who would surpass the records of sachin in future after 50 years.but the impact sachin created among the indian crowds and the hope that indian crowd pinned on sachin tendulkar couldnt be surpassed by anyone.Thats his unbeatable record.

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 09:42 PM
Sachin sachin and only Sachin

The only batsman who has faced the more number of daunting bowlers in the present era and has faced extreme criticism and battled a career ending Injury and came on top of everything and time and again has proved all naysayers wrong. Played against Wasim, waqar, donald, pollock, warne, muralitharan, shoaib, mcgrath, ambrose, walsh and who not. Please tell me of one batsman who has faced such a wide variety of bowling attack and still remains on top in a career span of 18 years in both forms of the game. :yes:

Scored 100's and 50's in almost all parts of the world in adverse pitch conditions and against greater teams. Scored 100's during his teen years in england and australia and picked up aggressive blasting in his early 20's and consolidated the top order for more than a decade in ODI's and still continues to be the most dependable batsman in modern cricket Era in both Tests and ODI's.

Has a universal fan base ranging from kids to legends. Commentators, sports writers, moviestars, contemporary batsmen and bowlers, former players who isnt a fan of this Great man !!

A man who easily inhales billion breaths of a nation when he goes out to bat. The expectation on this little man's shoulders is universal. A lean patch of 20's , 30's or 40's isnt acceptable by any means on this man by his fan base. 50's and 100's is the meal that he serves to his audience.

Modesty, humility are his other names. Technical excellence is his forte. Cricket is his appetite. The bat is his mouthpiece through which he talks. Sledging is an useless tactic against him. Opponents dread this dude and contemporary players respect this genius. Sir Don Bradman is his fan. Media wants a peace of his talk or an article on his name to pull viewers. It is just appropraite to say that he runs an entire country on his day.

50's and 100's are just numbers. He is the only guy who makes shots looks beautiful, batting looks gracious and makes time run out quickly and most of all he is the only guy who made me watch this boring game without taking my eyes off the screen.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 09:55 PM

:shock:
EKNI ! :oops:
I think if we dig up old posts from many hubbers, we might get much more interesting information as well. :lol:
(no one will escape, I think)

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 09:58 PM
An enquiry committeewill be set up against Nerd :twisted:

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Feddy,
I want to setup an inquiry committee against you as well. :twisted:

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:01 PM
Naan enna senjaein :roll: :oops:

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 10:13 PM
I saw your old posts getting edited of late, in few old threads :twisted: Hence, :P

Ramakrishna
29th May 2008, 10:14 PM
I saw your old posts getting edited of late, in few old threads :twisted: Hence, :P

aahaa...Feddy :lol2:

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:25 PM
Naan avan illai :oops: :mrgreen: :lol2: :P

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Anniyan, Ambi, Amoe, sumo maariyaa :mrgreen:

BTW, This thread is a good example for how our old hubber A_A defended Sachin @ Lion 8-) :D :D

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:36 PM
Yes that was the crux of my post in this page. Ladies and gentleman please have a look at the different pitches and the varying attacks.

Perth : Mcdermott, Hughes, warne and it is the most bouncy track in the world at the teen age of 19 :smokesmirk:

Durban : I assume its donald, devilliers, mcmillan .... Informed hubbers correct me if i am wrong

Edgbaston is a seaming pitch and i think the england bowling attack then should have darren gough, dominic cork, chris lewis and addy caddick.

Capetown 169 is a heck of an innings and one of the top favorites of sachin fans. The video is right up there in sachins thread for our friends to see.

Chennai 136 is the most watched innings of sachin against wasim and saqlain and even a kid knows that singam was fighting a lone battle with an excruciating back pain.

Durban 155 is a trailblazer. Melbourne 116 is against brettlee, mcgrath, warne and fleming(?).

There are some gems in west indies which i am trying hard to catch hold of some videos.
For me 241 in Australian 03 series and Multan 194 are some Characteristic gems.
The recentLY completed test and ODI batting performances in england tour where he lost a century in Lords thanks to an awful decision and the most important australian tour are legends in thier own right.

Perth 114 1991-92
Durban 1992-93
Edgbaston 122 1996-97
Capetown 169 1996-97
Chennai 136
Melbourne 116
Durban 155

dravid?

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:38 PM
He is just :notworthy:. I have learned a lot from many of his pro sachin posts 8-)

Anniyan, Ambi, Amoe, sumo maariyaa :mrgreen:

BTW, This thread is a good example for how our old hubber A_A defended Sachin @ Lion 8-) :D :D

Vivasaayi
29th May 2008, 10:43 PM

inna vasayam...regarding what topic? :lol2: :P

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 10:47 PM
I strongly condemn digressions :twisted:

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 10:52 PM
"AngeL on Earth" NayanTara - THE ULTIMATESTARINI (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5577)
After becoming a Shreya fan, he edited few posts. :evil: :evil: I strongly condemn this though I have acted as if I am not a nayan fan in the very same thread :P
P.S: Athu oru azhagiya nila kaalam :mrgreen:

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 11:02 PM
I strongly condemn digressions :twisted:
:lol: Y Blood - Same blood :P
Guess, we need to start a thread under Hubberz Lounge for posting interesting old posts :P Just imagine how newbies would react to posts from sourav, cucu and RATHEESH :lol: :rotfl:

Vivasaayi
29th May 2008, 11:07 PM
feddy,

ellarum dakaalti pannitu vivaldi pannuvanga....u vivaaldi pannitu dacaalti ya

ajithfederer
29th May 2008, 11:12 PM
Viv and selva : Arasiyalla idhellam ..... :lol2:

PS: Please talk about the topic or else mods may get angry :yessir:

selvakumar
29th May 2008, 11:13 PM
PS: Please talk about the topic or else mods may get angry :yessir:
namma Sridhar annan thaanae :lol2: :yessir:

k.. Its time. GTG . Bye and good night :wave:

Nerd
29th May 2008, 11:42 PM
eksi :oops: appO enakkum hhhw aNNanukkum sinna prachana.. Also I was NOT that big a sachin fan in the hub because nobody in the hub was :lol: i mean it was no fun being a sachin fan.. sachinism got onto us only after nakee's intro.. After the birth of GOD thread no looking back though I have posted something like sachin might be second only to lara in test matches..

Btw, pazhaya thread-galai delete seyyumpadi thaazhmayudan kEttikkoLgiREn :oops: :oops:

littlemaster1982
30th May 2008, 08:58 AM
50's and 100's are just numbers. He is the only guy who makes shots looks beautiful, batting looks gracious and makes time run out quickly and most of all he is the only guy who made me watch this boring game without taking my eyes off the screen.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :exactly: :exactly: :exactly: :exactly: :exactly:

Kalyasi
30th May 2008, 09:58 AM

Yaara Sollara Rama?? Adiyen Eppozhuthum Sachin Fan thaan.....

Thirumaran
30th May 2008, 11:03 AM
"AngeL on Earth" NayanTara - THE ULTIMATESTARINI (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5577)
After becoming a Shreya fan, he edited few posts. :evil: :evil: I strongly condemn this though I have acted as if I am not a nayan fan in the very same thread :P
P.S: Athu oru azhagiya nila kaalam :mrgreen:

Enna kodumai ithellaam. Ithukaaga Pazhaya threads ellaam thaedi pidichu edit pannuvaangalaa :rotfl:

Athayum eppadiyo kandupidicha selva :thumbsup: Intha alavukkaa pullainga vettiyaa irukaanga :shock:

cancer
30th May 2008, 11:13 AM
Ponting and Inzy should not be there along with LARA and SACHIN
Those 2 are Legends.

One of the Best players in my times :P

Mohamad Azharuddin
Rahul Dravid
Sourav Ganguly
Saeed aanwar
Jaya surya

MADDY
30th May 2008, 11:33 AM

yenda adhaan "unmayana" sachin fans latchanam ellam pal ilikkudhu inga, adhukku apparamum enna nakkal :lol:

wat i meant was - Dravid and Lara are the best test batsmen and Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman but sachin is better than best in both tests and ODIs 8-) ..........

elae, ennoda sachin fanatism, hub-kaagavo, arguement sake-avo uruvanadhu illa.........i've been a sachin fan from 8th std, i fell in love with his batting since his 110 agaionst Australia in colombo during singer cup, 1994, i believe..........in school, all my notebook "attai" wud be sachin tendulkar's photos that come in newspaper.........which is aginst our school standard of brown cover :lol: ......and when one person spilled ink on one of my notebook covers rite on sachin's face, i didnt talk to him for 1 yr............

i'm a sachin fan by choice not by chance :)

Kalyasi
30th May 2008, 11:38 AM

yenda adhaan "unmayana" sachin fans latchanam ellam pal ilikkudhu inga, adhukku apparamum enna nakkal :lol:

wat i meant was - Dravid and Lara are the best test batsmen and Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman but sachin is better than best in both tests and ODIs 8-) ..........

elae, ennoda sachin fanatism, hub-kaagavo, arguement sake-avo uruvanadhu illa.........i've been a sachin fan from 8th std, i fell in love with his batting since his 110 agaionst Australia in colombo during singer cup, 1994, i believe..........in school, all my notebook "attai" wud be sachin tendulkar's photos that come in newspaper.........which is aginst our school standard of brown cover :lol: ......and when one person spilled ink on one of my notebook covers rite on sachin's face, i didnt talk to him for 1 yr............

Vaaye!!

sriranga
30th May 2008, 11:49 AM
Those 2 are Legends.

Mohamad Azharuddin
Rahul Dravid
Sourav Ganguly
Saeed aanwar
Jaya surya

He is number one when it comes to playing "pleasing on the eye" wristy strokes. no one comes closer. 10x better than lachumanan.

cancer
30th May 2008, 11:51 AM
Those 2 are Legends.

Mohamad Azharuddin
Rahul Dravid
Sourav Ganguly
Saeed aanwar
Jaya surya

He is number one when it comes to playing "pleasing on the eye" wristy strokes. no one comes closer. 10x better than lachumanan.

yes , the way he plays last ten over of ODI :notworthy:

Thirumaran
30th May 2008, 11:56 AM

:notworthy:

selvakumar
30th May 2008, 02:57 PM
Enna kodumai ithellaam. Ithukaaga Pazhaya threads ellaam thaedi pidichu edit pannuvaangalaa :rotfl:

Athayum eppadiyo kandupidicha selva :thumbsup: Intha alavukkaa pullainga vettiyaa irukaanga :shock:
:twisted:
That was in the first page and anyone can notice that accidentally :twisted: Pune work life pothaalayaa :poke:

Nerd
30th May 2008, 05:10 PM
maddy thEvai illAdha pEchu + personal attack.. I don't have to prove anything to the hub.. At least I did not call him nondi kizhavar :arrow:

MADDY
30th May 2008, 05:23 PM
maddy thEvai illAdha pEchu + personal attack..

can u quote them???

Kalyasi
30th May 2008, 06:15 PM
Vidunga pa Vidunga!!!

Nerd
30th May 2008, 06:28 PM
pallilikkidhu, quotes-on-unmayaana, latchanam were in bad taste given that the nakkals was on YOU..

Anyway to the clear the air here,
1. I was a huge fan of Colombian racer montoya but is he the best?
2. I am a huge fan of sachin , may be three years back I thought he was not the best.. Or may be I was drunk when I posted it..
3. Over the past 3 years youtube, orkut, hub have convinced me that he is the best.. But being a fan if him? - I grew up watching him, wait a sec, I don't have to prove anything :bow:

Kalyasi
30th May 2008, 06:48 PM
pallilikkidhu, quotes-on-unmayaana, latchanam were in bad taste given that the nakkals was on YOU..

2. I am a huge fan of sachin , may be three years back I thought he was not the best.. Or may be I was drunk when I posted it..
3. Over the past 3 years youtube, orkut, hub have convinced me that he is the best.. But being a fan if him? - I grew up watching him, wait a sec, I don't have to prove anything :bow:

I accept that over a period of time you can change your opinion....

Even I saw many of his classy innings only on Youtube....

MADDY
30th May 2008, 06:55 PM

Nerd, then where should i attribute ur "comprehension" jokes on me??? Nerd, u always make personal attacks on me - and come back and say - i should grow up :)

i have no problems with ur changing preferences until mine is not questioned.....

also, i would still maintain those are not personal attacks but attack on HUBbers' preferences

Kalyasi
30th May 2008, 07:00 PM
Guys we r in the hub to share our views and search for friends..... Why all this.... A simple sorry can end the matter... whatever has happened has happened.... So from now on lets be united and cheer for India.....

I will start it myself

Sorry Nerd and Stan!!

MADDY
30th May 2008, 07:05 PM
Guys we r in the hub to share our views and search for friends..... Why all this.... A simple sorry can end the matter... whatever has happened has happened.... So from now on lets be united and cheer for India.....

I will start it myself

Sorry Nerd and Stan!!

kalyan, there is nothing like hatred - infact me and nerd talk over gtalk.......for me, any fight in HUB stays in HUB - it doesent grow out of it.......i'm sorry if someone who had arguement with me doesent feel the same way......

Kalyasi
30th May 2008, 07:06 PM

I will start it myself

Sorry Nerd and Stan!!

kalyan, there is nothing like hatred - infact me and nerd talk over gtalk.......for me, any fight in HUB stays in HUB - it doesent grow out of it.......i'm sorry if someone who had arguement with me doesent feel the same way......

:thumbsup:

Nerd
30th May 2008, 07:12 PM
maddy i dint call myself a saint, did I?? If your integrity is questioned please tackle it by yourself.. Don't drag others into it was my point.. And yes everything stays in the hub, that too in that very thread :thumbsup:

Kalyan, why sorry to me and STAN :shock:

Ramakrishna
30th May 2008, 07:15 PM
8-)

ajithfederer
30th May 2008, 08:13 PM
Enna kodumai kalyasi idhu. :shock: Ippo edhukku sarry kekkureenga :roll:

I will start it myself

Sorry Nerd and Stan!!

steveaustin
30th May 2008, 09:49 PM
For light and song, for bliss and glory and for lifting the soul, who else but inborn genius BRIAN CHARLES LARA 8-)

His charismatic batting style and flambuoyant bat-lift and stroke play made everyone stunned. He is the only man in the history to have reclaimed the Test record score. He is famous for the lone ranger act and breathtaking innings. He is classy on any day.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/126127.html

sivank
31st May 2008, 05:11 PM
[tscii:915dd085e0]For me the best batsman in the whole cricketing world would be the one and only Gundappa Rao Vishwanath. In my opinion he was the real master who made batting a real art. Watching him batting was a real treat. On and off the field he was a gentleman who never stayed even if the umpire hasn´t given him out. He simply walked if he kenw he was out.

Others might have other choices and opinions but as I mentioned it is my opinion and I am proud of the fact that I have seen this maestro live in action.[/tscii:915dd085e0]

wrap07
31st May 2008, 05:37 PM
[tscii:f34205441f]For me the best batsman in the whole cricketing world would be the one and only Gundappa Rao Vishwanath. In my opinion he was the real master who made batting a real art. Watching him batting was a real treat. On and off the field he was a gentleman who never stayed even if the umpire hasn´t given him out. He simply walked if he kenw he was out.

Others might have other choices and opinions but as I mentioned it is my opinion and I am proud of the fact that I have seen this maestro live in action.[/tscii:f34205441f]

:D yes. I have heard about his gentlemanly approach a lot. I had also read that his square cut is unparalleled and the best game has seen.
You are really fortunate to have seen great Viswhwanath in action.

ajithfederer
13th June 2008, 12:28 AM
Who say ponting is better than sachin:-

If talk about sachin and ponting, some people always says ponting is better than sachin because they always see his last 1-2 year performance. If u comparision between two players then u have to consider all the things like under which team u are playing, at which stage u are playing, against which bowler u are playing, what were the opposite strengths and the back up of other team members.
There is no doubt sachin is better than ponting in one day. Evey one knows this truth. Here I am talking about sachin and ponting comparision between test matches. I will prove that sachin is always better than ponting. I have a lot of proofs which will surely proof that sachin is better than ponting.
If we talk about sachin first 181 innings than we will show that sachin made more run than ponting. Everyone face a bad form during their international career, it will be coincidence that sachin bad form start after he equalize the record of sir don bradman in westendies in 2002.
I want to tell u that when I was collecting these records I was really surprised that sachin also performed very well or u can say he also perform like as sachin. But there are some weak points of ponting and strong points of Australian team which make sachin more efficient than ponting.

Here I am representing 10 points which will surely proof sachin is better than ponting:

Reason 1: Let see sachin and ponting first 181 innings

sachin After 181 innings
innings 182
not out 19
run 9459
highest 241*
average 58.38
century33
50’s 37
0’s 12

ponting after 182 innings
inning 182
notout 25
run 9323
highest 257
average 59.38
century 33
50’s 36
0’s 8

ASPECTS:-

(a) here u can see sachin made 143 runs more than ponting in first 181 innings. If u are consider average u can see ponting was 25 times not out and sachin was 19 times not out. Now we consider these innings as full innings. Than

sachin After 181 innings(when not out is not consider)
innings 182
run 9459
highest 241*
average 52.25
century 33
50’s 37
0’s 12

ponting after 182 innings (when not out is not consider)
inning 182
run 9323
highest 257
average 51.23
century 33
50’s 36
0’s 8

(b) now u can see sachin average is more than ponting in first 181 innings. If u talk about no. of centuries both are same centuries, but sachin had made 1 fifty more than ponting.

© letsee comparison of centuries b/w sachin and ponting.
Sachin:
1. 1st century: 14th inning(average
2. 5th century : 35th inning
3. 10th century: 59th inning
4. 15th century: 89th inning
5. 20th century: 107th inning
6. 25th century: 130th inning
7. 29th century: 148th inning
8. 30th century: 159th inning
9. 31st century: 165th inning
10. 32nd century: 179th inning
11. 33rd century: 181st inning
12. 34th century: 192nd inning
13. 35th century: 200th inning
ponting:
1. 1st century: 11th inning
2. 5th century : 48th inning
3. 10th century: 87th inning
4. 15th century: 102th inning
5. 20th century: 116th inning
6. 25th century: 156th inning
7. 29th century: 169th inning
8. 30th century: 170th inning
9. 31st century: 174th inning
10. 32nd century: 176th inning
11. 33rd century: 178st inning

we can see

ponting made 33th century in 178 inning on the other hand sachin made his 33th in 181th…this mean there is gap b/w sachin and ponting, although sachin made last 6 century in 52 innings after his 29th centuryon the other hand ponting made last 8 century in 22 innings.

Reason 2: after ponting started his career:

when ponting started his career that sachin has played 38 test matches and he has made 2483 runs. he also made 8 hundred and 13 hundred. But here I am talking about sachin career after ponting started his career

Comparision between both career after when ponting started his career.

Sachin career after when ponting started his career.
Match 96
innings 160
not out 15
run 8107
highest 241*
average 56.0
century 27
50’s 29
0’s 9
ponting after 182 innings
inning 182
notout 25
run 9323
highest 257
average 59.38
century 33
50’s 36
0’s 8

here these records shows that sachin average is less because ponting
has notout more than sachin. if we do not consider than.

Sachin career after when ponting started his career(notout not consider)
Match 96
innings 160
run 8107
highest 248*
average 50.66
century 27
50’s 28
0’s 9
ponting after 182 innings (when notout is not consider)
match 109
inning 182
run 9323
highest 257
average 51.47
century 33
50’s 36
0’s 8

ASPECTS:

1. u can see sachin and ponting average is almost similar although sachin is not making runs last 1 years.

2. pointing made 1 century in 5.5 innings. On the other hand sachin made 1 century in 5.8 inning, although sachin has not made a single centuries last 15 innings.

3. sachin made 1 half century in 5.6 innings. On the hand ponting made 1 half century in 5.1 innings.

Reason 3:century against opponents:

Sachin made most of the century against good bowlers.sachin faced the attack of shane warne, mcgrath, mac lewis, walsh, ambrose,waquar,wasim, murali.
On the other hand ponting made his century when all the dangerous bowler have taken retirement from the cricket.ponting made only 1 century against srilanka when he have to face murali.

(a) sachin century:-

century against Australia=7

shane warne, ----706
glenn mcgrath, ---557
mcdermott, ----291
bruce read-----113
brett lee----225
Jason gilespee--259
merv Hughes,--212
steve Waugh--92
allan border:39
tom moody:2
paul reiffel:104
whitney:39
kasprovicz,:---113
Robertson:13
mark Waugh:59
blewett :14
dale:6
lehman:15
fleming:75
miller:69

total wickets=== 3003

century against England:=6

Malcolm:128
Fraser: 177
Hemmings: 43
Lewis:93
Atherton:2
Jarvis:21
Tufnell:121
Hick:23
Salisbury:20
Cork:131
mullally:58
irani:3
m patel:1
ealham:17
hoggard:234
caddick:234
tudor:28
flintoff:193
giles:143
butcher:15
Vaughan:6
White:59
Dawson:11

Total wickets==== 1761

century against Pakistan:-2

Wasim Akram :414
Waqar Younis:373
Shahid Afridi:47
Saqlain Mushtaq:208
Nadeem Khan:2
shoiab akhtar:165
sami:73
shabbir ahmed:51
abdur razzaq:100
imran farhat:3

total wickets====1436

century against south Africa:-3

Donald:330
McMillan :75
Matthews :52
Cronje :43
Kirsten:2
Pollock :403
Adams :134
Klusener:80
Hayward:54
Kallis :202
Ntini:289
Boje:100

Total wickets: ==1760

Century against srilanka:=7

Wickramasinghe:85
Liyanage :17
Warnaweera:32
Gurusinha :20
Hathurusingha:17
Kalpage :12
Ranatunga:16
PA de Silva :29
Anurasiri :41
Muralitharan:674
Vaas :313
Pushpakumara:58
Dharmasena :69
Jayasuriya :96
Fernando:69
Bandara:16
Dilshan:6
Jayawardene:4
KSC de Silva:16
Perera:1
Upashantha:4
Arnold:11

Total wickets: --- 1606

Century against newzealand:-3

Doull:98
Cairns:218
Nash:93
Vettori:229
McMillan:28
Wiseman:61
Astle:51
O'Connor:53
Harris:16

Total wickets:---- 847

Century against westendies:-3

Walsh :519
Ambrose:405
Benjamin:92
Cummins :8
Hooper:114
Chanderpaul:8
Adams :27
Dillon :131
Cuffy :43
Sanford :30
Black :12
Lawson:51
Powell:47
Gayle:53
Sarwan:23
Samuels:5

Total wickets:--1568

Century against Zimbabwe:-3

Streak:216
BC Strang:56
Murphy:18
Olonga:68
PA Strang:70
Nkala:11
Viljoen:1
GW Flower:25
Watambwa:14
Price:69
Friend :25
Gripper:6

Total wickets-----579

Century against Bangladesh:-1

Tapash Baisya :36
Mashrafe Mortaza:50
Mushfiqur Rahman :13
Mohammad Rafique:87
Manjural Islam Rana:5
Mohammad Ashraful:9

Total wickets:-----200

Sachin made centuries against those bowlers who take 12739 wickets in his career yet.
Century per wicket:-12759/35=364

ponting century

Century against India:4

Srinath:236
Agarkar:58
BKV Prasad:96
Ganguly :26
Kumble:544
Laxman:1
Khan:126
Nehra :44
Vijay Bharadwaj:1
Tendulkar: 37
Kanitkar :0
Pathan :91
Sehwag :14

Total wickets:--1268

Century against England:7

Gough:229
Headley:60
Smith:0
Ealham:17
Croft:49
Butcher:15
Caddick:234
Mullally:58
Tudor:28
Ramprakash:4
Hoggard:234
Jones:59
White:59
Giles:143
Harmison:185
Dawson:11
Vaughan:6
Flintoff:193
Piterson:1
James Anderson:43
I r bell:1

Total wickets:--1619

Century against westendies:6

Dillon:131
Collins:106
Lawson:51
Drakes:33
Samuels:5
Ganga :1
Ambrose:405
Walsh:519
Perry:10
Hooper:114
Bernard:0
Hinds:5
Best:26
Banks:28
Gayle:53
Sarwan:23
Edwards:63
Powell:47
Collymore:82

Total wickets:--1702

Century against newzealand:2

Cairns: 218
Tuffey:66
Bond:74
Vettori:229
McMillan:28
Astle:51
Martin:106
Franklin:76
Wiseman:61

Total wickets:---909

Century against Pakistan:4

Wasim Akram:414
Mohammad Akram :17
Shoaib Akhtar:165
Azhar Mahmood:39
Saqlain Mushtaq:208
Wajahatullah :0
Waqar Younis:373
Mohammad Sami:73
Abdul Razzaq:100
Taufeeq Umar:0
Danish Kaneria:183
Naved-ul-Hasan:16
Mohammad Asif:30
Shahid Afridi:47

Total wickets:---1665

Century against sa:7

Donald:330
Pollock:403
Klusener:80
McMillan:75
Symcox:37
Kallis:202
Cronje:43
Ntini:289
Adams:134
Hall:41
Nel:91
Boje:100
Langeveldt:16
Botha:2

Total wickets:--1837

Century against srilanka:1

Vaas:313
Zoysa:64
Herath:35
Muralitharan:674
Jayasuriya:96
Arnold:11

Total wickets:---1193

Century against Zimbabwe:1

Streak :216
Blignaut:53
Mahwire:18
Price:69
Ewing:2

Total wickets:--358

Century against Bangladesh:1

Mashrafe Mortaza:50
Shahadat Hossain:16
Mohammad Rafique:87
Enamul Haque jnr:32

Total wickets:---85

ponting made centuries against those bowlers who take 10626 wickets in his career yet
Century per wicket:-10646/33=322

ASPECTS:

1. we can see sachin made his century on the 356 wickets,where as ponting made his century on 322 wickets.

2. sachin made 7 centuries against Australia in 21 matches(1 century in every 3rd match). Everyone knows Australia is the most powerful attack in the world. On the other hand ponting made only 4 centuries against India in 15 matches(1 century in every 3.75 match).although India bowling attack is not good as australia

3.loss of wickets aginst type of bowlers.
ponting
Pace bowlers 70%
Spin bowlers 27%

sachin:
Pace bowlers 69%
Spin bowlers 27%

4.Lets make a sacle:
According to team total wickets I made a scale:

Century against Australia: 10 points
Century against south Africa: 9 points
Century against england: 8 points
Century against westendies: 7 points
Century against Pakistan: 6 points
Century against srilanka: 5 points
Century against India: 4 points
Century against new Zealand: 3 points
Century against Zimbabwe: 2 points
Century against Bangladesh: 1 pints

Points earn by sachin tendulkar: 70+27+48+21+12+35+9+6+1
Total points: 229.
Grab 6.54 points for every century

Points earn by ponting:63+56+42+24+5+16+6+2+1
Grab 6.51 points for every century.
Total points:215

Reason 4: top 50 innings (have a look)

(a)Ponting top 50 innings:

another one man got hundred
total:558
when come:1-30

single man
total:556
when come:1-22

made another person century
total:568
when come:1-26

others 2 player made century
total score:576
when come:1-49

one another player made century
total score:451
when come:4-54

made only century
total score:602
when come:1-79

made only century
total:403
when come 1-7

8. 157*
total:558
when come:1-223

9. 156
made only century
total:371
when come:1-25

made single century
total score:552
when come:1-101

11: 150
made one another person century
total score:444
when come:1-4

made single century
total score:435
when come:1-9

13:144
made another man century
total score:447
when come:1-39

14:143*
made single century
total score:288
when come:1-30

15:142
made one another man got hundred
total score:513
when come: 1-8

16.141*
total score:552
when come:4-267

17. 141
made single century
total score:467
when come:1-5

18: 127
total score: 501
when come:4-50

total:441
when come:4-52

total:492
when come:1-67

21: 120
made single ton
total: 359
when come:1-22

22: 118*
made single ton
total : 307
when come:1-64

23:117
total:489
when come:1-37

24:117
total:355
when come:1-2

total:307
when come:1-49

total:605
when come1-43

27:105*
single ton
total:342
when come:4-183

single ton
total:383
when come:1-8

29:105
single ton
total:309
when come:4-77

30:104*
total:283
when come:1-71

31:104
total:490
when come:4-144

32:103
made single ton
total:369
when come:1-0

33:100
made single
total:334
when come:1-102

34:98
total:361
when come:1-28

35:96
made another2 person century
total:617
when come:3-422

36:96
total:188
when come:4-16

37:92
total:403
when come:3-169

38:92
total:401
when come:1-43

39:89
total:315
when come:1-11

40:88
total:479
when come:1-4

41:86*
total:166
when come:1-18

42:76*
made another 2 person century
total:599
when come:4-431

43:75
made another 3 person century
total:527

44:74
total:308
when come:1-21

45:73*
total:294
when come:5-163

46:72
total:176
when come:1-25

47:71
made another 2 person century
total:500
when come:4-280

48:71
total:258

49:68
total:456
when come:1-31

50:68
total:575
when come:1-137

(b)Tendulkar top 50 innings:

1.248*
single ton
total:526
when come:2-24

2.241*
another person got hundred
total:705
when come:2-128

another 2 batsman made century
total:583
when come: 2-102

4.201*
total:609
when come:2-227

5.194*
total:675
when come:2-173

total:628
when come:2-185

total:546
when come:2-49

total:521
when come:2-33

single ton
total:424
when come:2-109

another 2 person got hundred
total:570
when come:2-209

total:471
when come:2-11

total:359
when come:3-25

13: 165
total:560
when come:2-149

14:155*
single ton
total:418
when come:2-115

15:155
total:279
when come:2-43

16:148*
total:483
when come:4-201

17:148
total:512
when come:2-55

18:143
another 2 person got hundred
total:537
when come:2-183

19:142
total:511
when come:2-84

20:139
total:375
when come:2-9

21:136
single ton
total:258
when come:2-6

22.126*
total:505
when come:2-181

23:126
single ton
total:501
when come:2-211

24:124*
single ton
total:306
when come:2-74

single ton
total:219
when come:2-17

total:458
when come:2-134

27:119*
single ton
total:343
when come:4-109

28:117
single ton
total:339
when come:2-38

29:116
single ton
total:238

30:114
single ton
total:272
when come:2-69

31:113
single ton
total:356
when come:3-112

32:111
single ton
total:227
when come:2-27

33:109
single ton
total:290
when come:2-56

34:104*
total:359
when come:2-176

35:103
single ton
total:291
when come:2-64

total:225
when come:2-39

37:96
total:541
when come:2-182

38:94
total:516
when come:2-216

39:92
total:319
when come:2-42

40:92
total:424

41:90
total:238
when come:2-22

42:88
total:358
when come:4-152

43:88
total:436
when come:2-171

44:88
total:469
when come:2-76

45:86
total:252
when come:2-25

46:85
total:333
when come:3-11

47:83
total:355
when come:2-68

48:79
total:395
when come:2-21

49:78
total:591
when come:2-174

50:76
total:176
when come:2-25

ASPECTS:

1.ponting came when other player made 3748 runs on 88 wickets
42.6 run for a wicket, pointing made 6138 when Australia made21330
28.8 %...other 32 centuries.

2.sachin come when others made 4645 runs on loss of 111 wickets
41.8 run per wicket
sachin made 6462 team made 20882
it means sachin made 31% run him self
30 other centuries……..

3.here u can see when sachin come on crease India has 2 down for83 on the other hand when ponting come than score is 1-43.

4.there is no backup for sachin.in his top 50 innings sachin made 5o times above 75 on the hand ponting made only 43 times above 50.

Reason 5:Now consider their overall career.

Sachin career:

Match 134
innings 215
not out 22
run 10590
highest 248*
average 54.87
century 35
50’s 42
0’s 13

ponting career
match 109
inning 182
notout 25
run 9323
highest 257
average 59.34
century 33
50’s 36
0’s 8

ASPECTS:

1. sachin
double hundred: 4
above 150: 15
above 100: 35
above 75: 51
above 50: 77

2.ponting:
double hundred: 4
above 150: 11
above 100: 33
above 75: 43
above 50: 69

[blueReason 6: career in won and lost matches:

(a)
[Sachin career in won matches:

Match 42
innings 66
not out 10
run 3522
highest 248*
average 53.36 and 62.89
century 12
50’s 12
0’s

ponting career in won matches:
match 77
inning 125
notout 21
run 6864
highest 257
average 54.9 & 66
century 26
50’s 25
0’s 4

(b)
Sachin career in lost matches:
Match 38
innings 76
not out 0
run 2642
highest 177
average 35.70
century 8
50’s 9
0’s 4

ponting career in lost matches:
match 15
inning 30
notout 0
run 1198
highest 242
average 39.93
century 3
50’s 6
0’s 4

1.if u are thinking that here ponting is leading then u are thiking wrong.because ponting is play for Australia where they have won there 80% of matches on the other hand sachin is play for India where most of the sachin good inninigs converted into the match result draw due to bowler performance

2.australian has two leading bowlers shane and mcgrath.they bowled out opponents but on the other hand India has only anil kumble, so he is not able to bowled out opponents lonely.

3.sachin and ponting both made 1 century in 5 inning in win matches and in lost matches sachin made a century in 9 innings.on the other hand ponting made a century in 10 innings.it means sachin fight lonely In lost matches.

Reason 7: career in home and away matches

(a)
Sachin career in home:
Match 60
innings 99
not out 10
run 4917
highest 217
average 55.24
century 16
50’s 19
0’s

ponting career in home:
match 61
inning 101
notout 17
run 5438
highest 257
average 64.73
century 18
50’s 24
0’s 4

(b)
Sachin career in away:
Match 74
innings 116
not out 12
run 5610
highest 248*
average 54.54
century 19
50’s 23
0’s

ponting career in away:
match 45
inning 77
notout 8
run 3543
highest 206
average 51.34
century 13
50’s 12
0’s 4

aspects:

1. u can see ponting made most of the runs at home soil. On the other sachin made most of the runs in foreign

2. sachin made 19 century in away matches on the other hand ponting only made 13 century.

3. sachin made 22 century centuries on asian pitches on the other hand ponting only made 2. no century in India.1 only against srilanka.

Reason 8: score in main grounds:

He scored runs in all parts of world..There are three types of wickets u generally found in Cricket..Fast and bouncy Pitches like in Australia,South-Africa,NewZealand,WestIndies,Zimbabwe. Spin tracks in India,Srilanka,Pakistan,Bangladesh and seeming tracks like in England.
Here we are taking those ground which has his importance in cricket.also talk about at least single ground of a country.

(a)Now first check the spin tracks:

the famous track of spin bowling:

Eden garden: lords of India
Wankhede: help the spinners,
Chennai: The spiritual home of cricket
Sydney: pitch's reputation as a spinner's paradise.
Colombo: srilanka famous ground
Dhaka: Bangladesh main cricket ground

In these spin tracks look at the sachin records

Sydney Cricket Ground (Aus)
3 5 3 498 241* 249.00 2 1 0
Eden Gardens, Kolkata (Ind)
8 15 2 555 176 42.69 1 4 1
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai (Ind)
8 14 0 734 148 52.42 1 6 0
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai (Ind)
7 11 3 736 165 92.00 4 1 1
Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka (BD)
2 2 1 266 248* 266.00 1 0 0
Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo (SL)
3 6 2 456 139 114.00 3 1 0

In these spin tracks look at the ponting records

Sydney Cricket Ground (Aus)
11 19 5 1181 207 84.35 5 4 0
Eden Gardens, Kolkata (Ind)
2 4 0 75 60 18.75 0 1 1
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai (Ind)
2 3 0 23 12 7.66 0 0 1
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai (Ind)
2 4 0 31 18 7.75 0 0 1
Narayanganj Osmani Stadium, Fatullah (BD)
1 2 1 139 118* 139.00 1 0 0
Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo (SL)
2 3 1 217 105* 108.50 1 1 0

now u can see ponting average is less than sachin where the tracks are useful for spinners.ponting is not a great batsman of spin bowling.

Now count his overall performance in spin track

Sachin:

Matches:31
Innings:53
Not out:11
Runs:3245
Average:77.3
Highest:248
Century:12
Half century:13
Century in every 4th inning
More than 50 in every 2 inning approx

ponting:

matches:20
innings:35
not out:7
runs:1666
average:59.5
century:7
half century:6
century in every 5th inning
more than 50 in every 3 inning approx

(b)Now check the bouncy tracks:
the famous tracks of fast bowling
Melbourne:first odi and first test match played here
Perth:- a reputation for being a fast and hard track
Wellington: Cricket in Wellington received a surprise boost
Wanderes: good for batting and short boundries
Port of spain:the most picturesque of the old grounds in the West Indies
Harare: country's major Test and one-day venue
Durban: The ground certainly has had its highs and lows. uneven bounce

In these bouncy tracks look at the sachin records

Melbourne Cricket Ground (Aus):
3 6 0 267 116 44.50 1 1 1
W.A.C.A. Ground, Perth (Aus)
1 2 0 119 114 59.50 1 0 0
Basin Reserve, Wellington (NZ)
2 4 0 219 113 54.75 1 1 0
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg (SA)
3 6 0 214 111 35.66 1 0 0
Kingsmead, Durban (SA)
3 5 0 93 63 18.60 0 1 1
Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad (WI)
2 3 0 205 117 68.33 1 1 1
Harare Sports Club (Zim)
3 5 0 130 69 26.00 0 1 1

In these bouncy tracks look at the ponting records

Melbourne Cricket Ground (Aus)
10 18 5 910 257 170.00 3 3 0
W.A.C.A. Ground, Perth (Aus)
11 15 0 811 197 54.06 1 6 0
Basin Reserve, Wellington (NZ)
1 1 0 9 9 9.00 0 0 0
Kingsmead, Durban (SA)
2 4 0 342 116 185.50 2 1 0
Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad (WI)
1 2 0 251 206 125.50 1 0 0
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg (SA)
2 3 0 93 39 31.00 0 0 0
Harare Sports Club (Zim)
1 1 0 31 31 31.00 0 0 0

(c)Now check the seeming tracks
famous track of swing bowling:
lords:- regarded as the home of cricket
old Trafford: not good pitch for batting
oval: world oldest ground.

In these seeming tracks look at the sachin records

Lord's, London (Eng)
3 5 0 96 31 19.20 0 0 0
Old Trafford, Manchester (Eng)
1 2 1 187 119* 187.00 1 1 0
Kennington Oval, London (Eng)
2 2 0 75 54 37.50 0 1 0

In these seeming tracks look at the ponting records

Lord's, London (Eng)
2 4 0 69 42 17.25 0 0 0
Old Trafford, Manchester (Eng)
1 2 0 163 156 81.50 1 0 0
Kennington Oval, London (Eng)
3 4 0 157 62 39.25 0 1 0

Reason 9: Team support:

Sachin has no support from down the order.every one knows rahul dravid is a good cricketer but sachin always come after rahul.when sachin come India struggles every time.

Batsman who come after sachin:
1.azharuddin: 22
2.laxman:10
3.ganguly:12
4.dravid:23
5.sehwag:12
6.kaif:1
7.yuvraj:2
8.ss das:2
9:jaffer:2
10:manjereker:4
11:prabhakar:1
12:sidhu:9
13:dhoni:1
14.nayan mongia:1
15:shastri:11
16:kapil dev:8
17:pravin amre:1
18:sadagopan ramesh:2
19:agarkar:1
20:gambhir:1
21:srikanth:2
22:kambli:4
23:ajay ratra:1
24:deep das gupta:1

total support:134 centuries

openers for India:43 centuries
on before sachin:24 centuries(these centuries on no.3)
(suppose sachin come on no.4)
after sachin came:67 centuries

ponting support:

1.steve Waugh:32
2.mark Waugh:20
3.justin langer:23
4.mark taylor:19
5.hayden:27
6:martyn:13
7.micheal slater:14
8:tom moody:2
9:Darren lehman:4
10:ian heally:4
11:Mathew elliot:3
12:adam gilchrist:17
13:greg blewett:4
14:simon katich:2
15:symond:1
16:Clarke:4
17:hussey:5
18:brad hodge:1
19:martin love:1
20:Gillespie:1
total support: 197 centuries

Australian openers: 110 centuries
After ponting: 87 centuries

Aspects:

1. the main point is that sachin always take the burden of his team. in his career sachin made 35 century and his colleges only made 134 centuries. It means other person never support sachin
2. on the other hand ponting made 33 centuries where their colleges made 197 centuries, lot of support.
3. when sachin come on the crease openers gave only support 43 centuries in 134 matches
4. whereas ponting has given a support of 110 centuries from their openers in 110 matches.
5. when sachin came on the crease. He has to take all the responsibility himself.because after sachin 67 centuries
6. on the other hand after ponting a support of 87 centuries.player like hussey,Waugh, gilchrist have to come after ponting.

reason10. people expectations and injury probelm

tendulkar played under huge pressure. 1 billion people expecting you to perform in every match. To perform consistely well for 17 years as per expectations is just brilliant. Coming at a time when the country was starved of sporting heroes, Sachin has carried the nation's hopes on his broad shoulders, for more than a decade. The pressure was always there, more so as the opposition and team-mates alike considered that victory and defeat rested on his performance. Remember there were no Dravids, Laxmans and Gangulys then. Still he has risen to become one of the best in the world.
Sachin always face a lot of injury like tennis elbow, shoulder injury, his backbone and many more, because India team always plays too many one days.
On the other hand when ponting played his bowlers out other team with in three days. No more labour.
Sachin have to also perform with bowl for their team

At last I will say only one thing..plz don’t consider last 1-2 years performance.
Sachin was great.sachin Is great and sachin will great.
On the other hand
Ponting was good.ponting is great and ponting will good

http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=23803&tid=2507132514189454454&na=1&nst=1

[tscii:412584ec95][/tscii:412584ec95]

Raghu
2nd July 2008, 05:14 PM
er Hello

Kumara Sankakara should be on the list!!!

after all he is the BEST ranked batsmen by ICC, ponting is a Joker,

ajithfederer
15th November 2008, 12:30 AM
For another Nth sachin/best batsman argument in recent times. I pulled out this stat.

Ponting / In Tests/ In India.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/7133.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;o pposition=6;orderby=start;template=results;type=ba tting;view=match

Average is 20.85 with one century in 12 tests.

ajithfederer
19th November 2008, 10:58 PM
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/itfigures/archives/2008/09/tendulkar_and_richards_swap_pl.php#more

September 1, 2008

Posted by Ananth Narayanan at 2:22 PM in Trivia - batting

Tendulkar and Richards swap places as best ODI batsmen

Sachin Tendulkar pips Viv Richards to the top of the list © AFP
I started this. So I have to finish it...

It is amusing. A few days back whole lot of people were lambasting me for not having Tendulkar on top. Now another set of people are screaming that Tendulkar is on top. Hey guys, this is only an analysis. I am one insignificant analyst who works with a computer and a Cricket database. The greats remain greats, whatever I (or for that matter you all) say.

Just one more thing. Unlike what some have suggested, I have not gone out of the way to put Tendulkar on top. He is one of the greatest but NOT my favourite batsman.

As done before I have incorporated a summary response to readers' comments at the end.

In my previous article I had taken two important ODI batting measures and attempted to analyse batsmen skills using those. It elicited the usual comments on the additional parameters for consideration. Hence instead of doing a straightforward follow-up to that analysis, I have gone the whole hog and after considering all relevant parameters, come out with what I feel should be a very fair ODI batsmen ranking based on what they have achieved over their careers.

The following 8 facors are considered.

1. Total runs scored (TRS)
2. Batting Average (AVGE)
3. Runs per Innings (RPI)
4. Strike Rate (STRT)
5. Quality of bowlers faced (BOWQTY)
6. % of Team runs (TRPER)
7. Wins achieved
- Absolute number of wins (WINS)
- Win % of matches played (WINSPER)
8. MOM awards received/frequency (MOM).

A brief description of each factor and the weights given to each parameter is outlined below. The total points add up to a nice round sum of 100.

1. Total runs scored (20 points)

This is a recognition of the longevity of the player. There is no doubt that the runs scored has to be given decent weightage. At the same time care has been taken to see that the olden era players such as Richards, Greenidge et al do not suffer unduly. My belief is that it is very unlikely for any batsman, including Tendulkar, to exceed 20000 runs. Hence the limit seems correct. The formula used is

* TRS = Total runs scored / 1000.

2. Batting Average (15 points)

This is a straightforward calculation. We need not worry about not-outs since there is a separate factor for that. Since the batting average is unlikely ever to exceed 60.0, we are within the maximum level. The formula used is

* AVGE = Batting average / 4.0.

Note: David Barry is doing some simulation work with a view to establish a correlation between Average and Strike Rates. It is too early to incorporate these first level findings. Hence at this stage I have taken the simple, easily understandable method of separating the Average and Strike Rate measures with individual weightages. Similarly Jeff Grimshaw's ideas about treating balls played as a resource and giving credit for the same is quite good. However I do not want too many overlapping parameters. Already I have Average and RPI.

3. Runs per Innings (5 points)

This is to mitigate the factor of a high number of not-outs, especially for middle-order batsmen. Again a straightforward calculation. Since the Batting average is unlikely ever to exceed 50.0, we are within the maximum level. The formula used is

* RPI = Runs per innings / 10.0.

Note: I briefly toyed with Abhihjeet Dongre's excellent suggestion of excluding from the total number of innings the innings in which the batsman has finished not out at a score below his batting average. This redresses the balance towards middle order batsmen slightly. However I have finally rejected this tweak since I feel that they have already got the full benefit of not outs while calculating the Batting Average. The purpose of separation of these two factors will be lost if I do not use the full complement of innings played.

4. Strike Rate (25 points)

I consider this factor as the most important measure and that is reflected in the weightage. However much we talk about the importance of scoring runs, it is essential that these are scored at a reasonable pace. It does not mean that every century should be a run-a-ball one. However, it is true that many a match has been lost because the batsmen have not moved up the scoring rate at the right time.

However a major tweak has been done. The actual strike rates have been adjusted up or down based on the decade scoring rates pro-rata. In other words, if Viv Richards played between 1975 and 1991, his actual scoring rate has been adjusted pro-rata for the three decades, viz., 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. In general this will mean that the older players will get a slight benefit since the scoring rates were lower, as indicated in the table below.

AllMats 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s

Matches played 2759 82 516 933 1228
Batsmen innings 47947 1418 8838 16266 21425
Runs scored 1142018 30292 202884 386508 522334
Balls bowled 1473233 46208 277516 505727 643782
Runs per ball 0.775 0.656 0.731 0.764 0.811
% of all-matches avge 100.0% 84.6% 94.3% 98.6% 104.7%

The actual and adjusted strike rates for a few top players is given below. All these adjustments seem very reasonable. The only clear cases are for batsmen such as Pietersen and Dhoni who have played all their matches in the current decade and hence have the same adjustment of -4.4%. The others are pro-rata. For instance, Tendulkar's and Lara's strike rates have been adjusted much less since they have played during 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. Zaheer Abbas gains the maximum since his career spanned 1975-1985, the low-scoring years.

Batsman Prev SR Adj SR % chg

Richards I.V.A 90.2 98.4 +9.1%
Haynes D.L 63.1 66.9 +6.0%
Jones D.M 72.6 75.4 +3.9%
Greenidge C.G 64.9 70.8 +9.1%
Zaheer Abbas 80.0 89.7 +12.1%

Tendulkar S.R 85.5 84.6 -1.1%
Jayasuriya S.T 91.0 90.1 -1.1%
Gilchrist A.C 96.9 94.4 -2.7%
Lara B.C 79.5 78.6 -1.3%
Sehwag V 99.1 95.3 -3.8%
Shahid Afridi 111.2 108.2 -2.7%
Klusener L 89.9 88.2 -1.9%
Dhoni M.S 91.3 87.2 -4.4%
Pietersen K.P 87.5 83.6 -4.4%

Since the only Strike Rate to exceed 1.00 is that of Shahid Afridi, I have accepted the fact that only he will exceed the maximum level. The formula used is

* STRT = (Adjusted) Strike Rate x 25.0.

5. Quality of bowling faced (15 points)

This is a double weighted adjustment. The objective is to make sure that the runs acored against stronger teams such as Australia are given much higher weighting than the runs scored against weaker countries such as Zimbabwe. Care also has to be taken that the weaker Australian teams such as those during the mid-1980s are treated accordingly. The complex process is explained below.

First a bowling quality index is found for each innings. This is done by the following formula (somewhat similar to the one used by David Barry). I had thought of this earlier, but dismissed it as too complex. Now I think it is necessary.

Sum of (Balls bowled by each bowler x Bowler's bowling avge)
Innings BQI = -----------------------------------------------------
Sum of (Balls bowled by each bowler)

In one of my earlier articles on Team Strength analysis I used a simple average of the top 5 Bowling averages. That was when I was trying to find the strength of team as it walked on to the field. However here I am trying to find how valuable the batsman's innings was. Hence the actual deployment of the bowling resources is necessary. Wasim Akram will make the Pakistani team that much strong, on paper, however, if he did not bowl a single ball, to that extent the bowling lacks sting.

Now comes the second weighting. For this the actual scores of batsman and the Innings BQI are used. The formula is explained below.

Sum of (Batsman innings score x Innings BQI)
Batsman career BQI = --------------------------------------------
Sum of (Batsman innings score)

There is some convergence of values as batsmen score many runs. Note the BOWQTY value for the top 5 batsmen. Hence special care has to be taken to assign points. Amongst batsmen who have scored greater than 2000 runs, Craig McMillan is the best with a BQI of 34.48 and Habibul Bashar the worst with a BQI of 43.47. If we lower the limit to 1000 runs, Nicky Boje is the best with a BQI of 31.3 and Glenn Turner the worst with a BQI of 47.63. No batsman has a career BQI below 30.00 and no batsman has a career BQI above 50.0. The Batsman career BQI is used to derive the index value based on the following formula.

* BOWQTY = 50.0 - Batsman career BQI.

6. % of Team runs (5 points).

The value of a batsman to the team is also determined by the share of the batting load he takes. In other words the % of team runs he scores. This is a secondary parameters and has a weighting only of 5 points. With a criteria of 2500 runs and above, the highest share of team runs scored is by Zaheer Abbas with 21.6%, followed by Greenidge with 19.2%, then by Richards with 19.2% and finally by Tendulkar with 18.1%. The formula used is

* TSPER = % of Team share * 20.0.

Upto this point, the full weight will be given only if the batsman has scored above 2000 runs. Else the points secured will be proportionately downsized.

7. Wins achieved (5 points)

Winning is something special, if not everything (as the Americans profess). No one wants to lose. Hence we should give value to this important aspect of the game without going overboard. This is done in two parts. The first is to derive an index value solely based on the number of wins achieved. This will benefit players who have played more games and have been part of successful teams. The highest number of wins achieved is 220 by Jayasuriya, followed by Ponting with 216, Inzamam with 214, Gilchrist with 214 and Tendulkar with 206. The formula used is

* WINS = No of wins /50.0.

8. Win % achieved (5 points)

What about Richards who achieved 132 wins in 187 matches (a 70.6 win %), which is much higher than that of Tendulkar, 206 wins in 417 matches (49.4%) or Steve Waugh, 196 in 325 (60.3%). His win % suffers only in comparison to the current Australian team, some of whom having over 75%.

This factor addresses this problem. Credit is given to the % of wins achieved, subject to minimum number of matches being reached. The formula used is

* WINSPER = % of wins x 5.0.

9. MOM awards received (5 points).

The last parameter is on the MOM awards achieved. This is the only subjective measure, as pointed to by Shankar Krishnan of Riyadh. However since this is the only individual evaluation measure available I have to consider it. Whatever be the idiosyncracies of the adjudicators there is no doubt that the MOM awards are a pointer to the contribution to the wins achieved by the team.

I have tried to remove the subjective factor, to a certain extent, by considering the frequency of awards also in addition to the absolute number of awards. This is also fair to the older players. Consider this. Richards has got 31 awards in 187 matches. He lags far behind Jayasuriya who has got 45 awards in 415 matches. However when we consider the frequency, Richards has a frequency of one in 6 matches, while Jayasuriya, one in 9.2 matches. Incidentally Tendulkar leads the absolute number of awards with 55. The frequency ranges from 6.0 to 20.0 (limiting value). The formula used is

* MOM = (MOM Awards/30.0) + (3.0 * (20.0 - MOM Frequency)/15.0).

For the last two points, the full weight will be given only if the batsman has played above 50 matches. Else the points secured will be proportionately downsized.

Now the table of top 30 ODI batsmen of all time. The table is current upto match 2759, the facile English win over the hapless South Africans, giving them a 4-0 lead.

The top ODI batsmen of all time - as on 28 August 2008.

No.Cty Batsman Total Runs Avge R/I S/R BwQty Wins Win% % TS MOMs

100.0 20.0 15.0 5.0 25.0 15.0 5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0

1.Ind Tendulkar S.R 79.27 16.36 11.08 4.02 21.16 12.13 4.12 2.47 3.61 4.32
2.Win Richards I.V.A 73.14 6.72 11.75 4.02 24.60 12.20 2.64 3.53 3.85 3.83
3.Slk Jayasuriya S.T 72.24 12.80 8.18 3.13 22.52 12.01 4.44 2.64 2.89 3.63
4.Aus Ponting R.T 71.87 11.11 10.81 3.81 19.63 12.63 4.32 3.59 3.19 2.78
5.Aus Gilchrist A.C 71.12 9.62 8.97 3.45 23.59 12.12 4.04 3.52 2.93 2.88
6.Win Lara B.C 67.70 10.40 10.12 3.60 19.64 12.38 2.78 2.33 3.43 3.01
7.Saf Kallis J.H 67.70 9.61 11.17 3.64 17.33 12.98 3.50 3.15 3.26 3.05
8.Pak Inzamam-ul-Haq 66.72 11.74 9.88 3.35 18.31 11.81 4.28 2.83 3.04 1.48
9.Aus Bevan M.G 66.00 6.91 13.40 3.53 18.31 13.88 3.10 3.34 3.00 0.53
10.Ind Ganguly S.C 65.87 11.36 10.26 3.79 18.14 10.64 2.98 2.40 3.27 3.03
11.Pak Saeed Anwar 65.55 8.82 9.80 3.62 20.20 10.95 2.82 2.85 3.42 3.07
12.Aus Waugh M.E 65.50 8.50 9.84 3.60 19.39 12.29 3.04 3.11 3.22 2.52
13.Aus Symonds A 65.43 5.01 10.09 3.19 22.41 12.58 2.98 3.86 2.58 2.74
14.Slk de Silva P.A 65.02 9.28 8.73 3.14 20.61 12.52 2.56 2.08 3.06 3.05
15.Win Haynes D.L 64.62 8.65 10.34 3.65 16.74 12.16 3.18 3.34 3.63 2.93
16.Saf Gibbs H.H 63.66 7.59 9.12 3.39 20.24 11.95 2.88 3.12 3.03 2.36
17.Ind Dravid R 63.47 10.59 9.87 3.44 17.36 13.25 3.14 2.36 3.00 0.47
18.Pak Mohammad Yousuf 63.22 9.24 10.80 3.64 18.19 10.81 3.12 2.90 3.12 1.40
19.Saf Kirsten G 63.06 6.80 10.24 3.67 17.88 13.45 2.40 3.24 3.35 2.03
20.Saf Klusener L 62.90 3.58 10.28 2.61 22.05 13.92 2.18 3.19 2.27 2.83
21.Aus Jones D.M 62.82 6.07 11.15 3.77 18.86 11.99 1.96 2.99 3.55 2.48
22.Aus Hayden M.L 62.80 6.13 10.95 3.96 19.36 12.26 2.38 3.70 3.34 0.72
23.Pak Javed Miandad 62.74 7.38 10.43 3.39 17.98 13.04 2.38 2.55 3.40 2.18
24.Saf Rhodes J.N 62.73 5.93 8.78 2.70 20.11 15.00 3.10 3.16 2.46 1.47
25.Eng Pietersen K.P 62.46 2.82 11.96 3.87 20.90 14.46 0.68 2.10 3.44 2.24
26.Ind Sehwag V 62.31 5.81 8.11 3.12 23.82 12.41 1.90 2.49 2.70 1.95
27.Ind Dhoni M.S 62.26 3.79 11.85 3.54 21.80 12.73 1.30 2.71 2.90 1.63
28.Ind Azharuddin M 62.10 9.38 9.23 3.04 18.97 12.09 3.20 2.40 2.90 0.89
29.Aus Waugh S.R 61.95 7.57 8.23 2.63 19.26 13.75 3.92 3.02 2.38 1.21
30.Saf Cronje W.J 61.91 5.57 9.66 3.18 19.26 13.51 2.34 3.11 2.92 2.35

Tendulkar is on top, and deservedly so. He has not only scored lots of runs but scored these at a good pace, scored these against good bowlers and contributed more than his share to the Indian cause.

Richards is in second place, again deservedly so. He has scored only 6721 runs, but made up for the huge shortfall in index points with his outstanding average, strike rate, win % and MOM frequency. He may very well move a little bit down in the list in the years to come. But will not lose any of the aura.

Jayasuriya is next, having made up for his low Average and RPI with a mountain of runs scored at a scorching pace. The Lankan readers will be happy that the contributions of the entertainer non-pareil have been recognized. He has managed to retain the third position depsite a poor run of ODI matches against India.

Ponting and Gilchrist, two great Australian batsman, follow in the next two positions, through different combination of high points. Ponting with high average and good strike rate while Gilchrist with lower average and excellent strike rate. Both have great win related numbers.

Lara, Kallis Inzamam, Bevan and Ganguly complete the top 10. This elite placing of these quality batsmen cannot be debated. In fact Lara and Kallis exchanged places after the last match.

There is no doubt that players such as Pietersen (25th currently), Sehwag (26th), Dhoni (27th) and Hussey (39th) will move up the list as they score more runs. However this may be partly compensated by the possible decrease in their averages. Dhoni is surely on the way to becoming an excellent finisher in the Bevan/Hussey mode and as such is unlikely to drop his average. Pietersen's average could drop a little bit. Hussey's could drop significantly unless otherwise he does what Bevan did over a long career.

It should be noted that if we change the weightings, the batsmen will move up or down the list. For instance, Strike Rate could be reduced to 20 points. In that case, Jayasuriya and Ponting will exchange places. But these are minor movements only. It is my firm belief that the top 2, Tendulkar and Richards will remain where they are, whatever be the weightings.

Batsmen such as Kluesener, Dhoni and Pietersen, who have not even scored 4000 ODI runs have managed to reach the top 30 positions in the all-time best batsmen table. This indicates that the weightings for non-longevity measures have been given due importance.

Finally, one important point to be noted. No analyst starts with an idea to prove that one batsman is superior to another or push their favourite batsmen on top. Such shallow analyses will be found out in no time at all. The idea is to come out with a vehicle for healthy discussion and exchange of views. Hence please avoid rude and vicious comments. They have no chance of being read by any one. Pl make your point in a courteous and acceptable manner. The readers have their right to be heard but also their responsibilities to be constructive and courteous.

To view the complete list, click here

This list consists of batsmen who have scored a minimum of 1000 ODI runs. Please remember that many of the calculated points are downsized for batsmen in the 1000-2000 range. They are included only to show where some of the batsmen from the lesser countries stand.

Summary response to readers' comments (Possible tweaks)

1. Avoidance of double weighting for "Wins".

2. Possible cap on Runs scored weighting.

3. Adjust for the paucity of matches played during the early 10 years.

4. Giving weight to key tournament wins such as World Cup and Champion's Trophy.

5. The subjective nature of MOMs, already mentioned by me in the main post does not go well with readers.

6. Quite a few readers have, while accepting Tendulkar's position at no.1, have questioned the wide gap between Tendulkar and Richards. It worries some readers that this gap will keep on widening.
[/tscii][tscii]

ajithfederer
2nd November 2009, 10:18 PM
Indian Cricket Fever
Australia vs ROW: The Lara-Sachin Epic

By Raul - 31 August '03
September 19 2003

It was the Rest of the World playing Australia. I remember it like it happened yesterday - the First Test, and as it happened, the only Test - at Brisbane.
PROLOGUE
“It was the Rest of the World playing Australia. I remember it like it facting happened yesterday - the First Test, and as it happened, the only Test - at Brisbane. Rest of the World, sent in to bat by Steve Waugh, was tottering at 6 for 2, with both Michael Vaughan and Gary Kirsten gone! Vaughan snicked a McGrath outswinger to Gilchrist and Gary was bounced out by a fiery Lee,” mused the older man. The bespectacled younger man sitting next to him said, “Yeah, I remember, too. Brian Lara came in at no.3, followed next over by Sachin at no.4, right? What a pairing, maan!”

The older man seems irritated by the interruption, but continues reminiscing, “Dravid and Chanders are padded up in the pavilion. And it's McGrath and Brett Lee at full steam, revved up by their early success. Gillespie and Warne are prowling in the sidelines, awaiting their skipper’s call. Waugh has three slips and two gullies in place. McGrath is beginning a new over to Sachin...”

EPISODE ONE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McGrath decides he needs to sledge Sachin to wind him up a little. He begins by bowling a short one outside off, and spits on his follow-through: "So...you broke these days, I hear? Asking the government to pay duty on your sports car?"
Sachin glares back at him under his helmet, takes fresh guard six inches outside leg stump from umpire Hariharan. As Pidge turns back to his bowling run, Sachin squeaks, "Bowl at my stumps, Glen... Try and get me clean bowled." Next ball, Pidge tries to york Sachin, who straight drives him with minimal effort to the sight screen. Lara, a big fan and student of Sachin's batting is expecting this and jumps in perfect timing to avoid the ball whizzing between him and the stumps. Pidge glares at Sachin, who looks towards square leg, shrugs, adjusts his abdominal guard and takes stance.

The next ball is an outswinger. Sachin watches it very closely into Gilly's gloves. "Hit that if you can, you little so-and-so...," chirps Pidge. Lara comes a couple of steps down the pitch, taps the pitch with his bat while looking closely at Sachin from under his maroon helmet. He catches the Bombay Blaster's eye, winks and goes back.

The next one is a little short from McGrath but has steepling bounce and is just outside off. Sachin steps back and across and powerfully uppercuts it over third man for six. The crowd, which has had plenty of action so far, now goes completely berserk. Lara comes down the pitch, beaming broadly, and pats Sachin on the shoulder. Sachin shrugs, says a couple of words to Lara while pointing to mid-on and then resumes batting. He deliberately lofts the next ball, good length, over Lee's head at mid-on and the ball races for another boundary.

EPISODE TWO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McGrath gets one to lift from just short of a length on middle and leg. Sachin, with his outside-the-leg stance, is just about able to get up on tippy-toe and play it down. However, his bat speed and the weight of his bat help the ball go past the bowler and the batsmen cross for a single. Waugh decides to attack Lara for the last ball. Anticlimactically, Lara nudges a good length ball on off to square and gets off the mark. You know it's a good day for a spectator when Lara turns the first ball he gets that square from an off stump line.
Waugh and Lee are deep in conversation as are the two batting princes in the middle. Sachin seems to be belaboring a point while the Prince of Trinidad, long white sleeves flapping as he squints into the sun, seems to be barely paying attention. But as Sachin stops talking, Lara turns to him and smiles broadly. Brian Charles Lara is enjoying this, while Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar seems all business, very serious. Then Lara turns towards his crease, all grace and quick steps as he adjusts his helmet strap. He checks his guard with umpire Taufel and then looks around to survey the field. Four slips, two gullies, cover point, mid-off and the lone man on the leg side at a funny position between mid-on and mid-wicket. Tugga has been studying tapes with Buchanan and has noted the Trinidadian's penchant for pulling in the air. He may have asked his hit man Lee to try and bounce Lara out. The suspicions are confirmed when Tugga asks the man at cover point to come further in, to silly mid-off. The man at mid-off, Justin Langer, is now moved to forward short leg. Just as Lee reaches the top of his run- up, Sachin decides to slow things down a bit. He takes a couple of steps down the pitch and says something to Lara. Lara nods in response and takes stance. The packed crowd at the Woolloongabba starts a slow hand-clap as Lee starts running in. Predictably, he begins with a wide one outside off, not too fast, around 90.

Gillespie at mid-on runs up to his colleague and says something in his ears and goes back to his position. Ponting at point claps loudly and urges everyone, "C'mon, boys. One more." Lee comes in again and bowls a 97 mph thunderbolt. Unfortunately, it's a tad too full. Lara, already into his high back lift and the typical feinting movement backwards, flows into a booming cover-drive like a ballet dancer. There is no one there, and someone from the flag-waving, cheering crowd, picks the ball up and throws it towards Damien Martyn, who polishes the ball and walks up to Lee to offer some encouragement. Tony Greig is undergoing orgasmic convulsions in the commentary box: "It's gone, it's outta heeeeeeeeere!!!! Lara has blasted this one to the cover fence!! Oh, my goodness!! I think Lee has lost the plot somewhat here. I don't think Waugh would be a very happy man right now (close-up of Tugga is now on the giant display screen, courtesy Channel Nine, looking his inscrutable Buddha-self with his head cupped in one hand at second slip). Greig continues his ejaculation: "20 runs have come off the last eight balls and the two greatest masters of the art of batting have come to the party here at the GABBA."

Lee steams back in, looking a little aggrieved, and bounces Lara. The ball is way too high and Lara calmly watches it fly over his head to Gilly. The next ball is also short and very quick. Lara swivel-pulls on one leg to the mid-wicket boundary, his bat speed camouflaging the superb control over the shot as it speeds all along the carpet to the mid-wicket boundary.

Now Lee is in trouble and he knows he has to come up with something better. So he does, with a searing, scorching delivery at 97.9 mph that kicks off from just short of good length and Lara who is committed to the front foot can only jump up and contort his upper body and drop his hands to miss the ball. The ball swishes his shirt sleeve and all the Aussies go up as one for an appeal. But this time, Taufel only smiles benignly in reply.

EPISODE THREE

Lee finishes the over with a splendid inswinging yorker, which Lara keeps out of his stumps. Lee fields on his follow through and tell Lara, “Hit that one, mate…” Lara looks disdainfully at Lee and turns to walk towards the middle where Sachin awaits him. Tugga, Punter, Gilly, Martyn and Lehmann are talking to McGrath. Looks like they have a plan for the Bombay Blaster. A deep third man is set, as is a deep square cover. Greig asks Boycott, “So Geoffrey, what do you think is Waugh planning to do? Does he want to trap Tendalkar into upper cutting into the waiting hands of Martyn at third man?” Boycott replies in his Yorkshire accent, “Well, if Sachin uppercuts with a man placed there for that shot, he’s dafter than me mum. I think it’s a bluff. Watch out, it will be a yorker. McGrath should be bowling fuller, especially in these early stages, just a little bit fuller, you know? A couple of inches… That could pose some more questions.”
McGrath goes on top of his bowling mark. Three slips, deep third man, gully, deep square cover, mid-off, mid-on and a square leg, slightly finer than usual. McGrath comes in, bowls one on perfect length, just outside off. It cuts away sharply after pitching. Sachin goes for a booming cover drive, misses completely. The Australian slip cordon jumps up in unison and exclaims in frustration, while the crowd gasps. They gasp again as they watch the action replay on the giant screen. The next one from McGrath is on an awkward length and climbs on Sachin. He sways outside the line at the last minute, with the ball passing within inches of the brand new french beard he’d started to cultivate. Tugga and the others clap in appreciation. McGrath goes up to Sachin, “What’d that smell like, mate?”

McGrath bowls a good length ball next up and Sachin punches it defensively down the track. McGrath picks up and walks back to his bowling mark. Tugga decides to bring in the deep square cover to a second, widish gully now. McGrath bowls a straight one on length, well outside off, Sachin flashes at it, misses and punches the air in disgust with his left hand. Lara comes down the track and says something to Tendulkar. The next ball, McGrath strays on to Sachin’s pads and he neatly works it away with minimum effort to the mid-on boundary for four. “Woonderful shot from Sashin,” comments Boycott. “McGrath beat him, but I think these two have the right idea. If it is there in the slot, it has to go.”

Last ball of the over, Sachin has a big hoick at a shorter length slower delivery. The ball balloons high up and Lee at mid-on makes a brilliant run followed by a body-twisting, athletic dive but the ball eludes his finger tips. Sachin looks down at the pitch in self-annoyance as he completes the single and watches Lee fail to pouch the chance. End of the over. Rest of the World, 28-2.

Suddenly, Tugga pulls a master-stroke, or so it seems. Lee, who has been bowling from the Vulture Street End, is being replaced. He throws the ball to Shane Warne who will now bowl from the Vulture Street End.

EPISODE FOUR

Shane Warne, with his brand new coiffeur blowing in the slight breeze, is slowly spinning the ball and catching it with one hand, while discussing his field with Tugga. Two slips, a silly point, a forward short-leg and a leg-gully form the close–in field. There’s a man patrolling the third man boundary, a long off, square leg and deep mid wicket. “Warnie may try a couple of flippers or maybe even a slip a googly in here, what do you think, Geoffrey?” “I think Steve Waugh is trying to change ends, that’s all. And add a bit of excitement and uncertainty in the batmen’s minds. Also, I think he’d be interested to see how the slower pace of Warne might affect the stroke play of these two geniooses out there, you know? Timing-wise. A smart move by a thinkin’ cap’n, I would say.”
Warne starts off with a regulation leg-spinner to Sachin who defends towards Punter at silly point. “Well bowled, Warnie,” shouts Gilly. Sachin sweeps at the next one, but fails to time it. He however gets hold of the next one, dancing down the pitch and lofting it high and handsome over the sight screen. Greig screams into his microphone, “That has gone past the taxis that stand at the corner of Duke and Linton Streets, I tell you!!! Maybe one or two cabbies might have to take issue with the master blaster Sashin Tendalkar, I say!! Six o’ the best for the man who is taking the attack to the Aussies now, after their initial success. Shane Warne, deposited over long on, for a huge, huge six! Tendulkar now moves to 26, with two sixes and 2 fours… and a near-life on 20 when Lee failed to hold a tough chance.” Sachin plays out the rest of the over quietly. At 34-2 in 14 overs, an exciting first hour of play is done and drinks are called on the field.

EPISODE FIVE

After drinks (just as Boycott had correctly predicted), Waugh throws the ball to Brett Lee, who now bowls from the Stanley Street End.
What followed was the perhaps the fastest spell Lee ever bowled in his career. The cherry was whizzing past noses and helmet frames seemingly at his will. Brett Lee was making the old cherry talk and it was talking business with a very mean accent. At the other end, Glen McGrath was replaced by an inspired and fired up Jason ‘Dizzy’ Gillespie who also threw everything into a tremendous assault on the batting gladiators who seemed intent on setting the Tasman Sea alight with their sparkling stroke play.

Only twelve overs were completed in the second hour, but they were twelve of the best Dizzy and Lee could conjure up. Rippers, jaffers, snorters, rib-ticklers, and one (perhaps miscalculated) beamer. Near misses and fierce hooks, balls brushing shirt sleeves; sharply lifting outswingers and spanking square cuts and drives; reverse swinging yorkers and blazing straight and on-drives—all were testament to one of the epic battles between bat and ball, with no quarter asked and none given. Fierce pride, razor-sharp intensity and breathtaking talent provided a glow of magic to the proceedings for the Brisbane crowd.

At one point, a rising delivery from Lee somehow clambered through the frame of Sachin’s helmet and bloodied his upper lip. Interestingly, that delivery seemed to make Tendulkar even more determined to weather this storm and take the Rest of the World to an impregnable position.

Lara edged a late-swinging one from Gillespie but it fell just short of Matty Hayden who made a valiant attempt to make a catch of it. Sachin had a very loud shout for LBW off a fuller length Lee thunderbolt turned down by umpire Taufel. On replays, it appeared to be missing leg. At lunch, the battered pair of geniuses were still at the crease, with the scoreboard reading 92-2, the two having stitched together an 86-run unbroken partnership. Sachin was on 43 and Lara on 40. Australia had gained a couple of early breakthroughs, but the two batting gurus had wrested the early advantage the Rest of the World’s way through bold stroke play and sheer bloody-mindedness. This was a tougher version of both batsmen on display. Tugga went in to get his salad, a thoughtful man in deep reflection.

EPISODE SIX

After lunch, Waugh attacked with Warnie at one end and McGrath at the other. Pidge produced a very tight, testing second spell, with neither Sachin nor Lara looking their fluent selves from the morning session. It was one over from Warne that changed things. Warne was getting appreciable drift, making the ball bend in its loop away from the left-handed Trinidadian, before pitching wide outside his off-stump and turning sharply in. This is when Warne was at his best: the drift, the loop, the variation in length and sharp, consistent turn. Warne pitched one wide outside off, just short of length and dipping. Lara ballet-danced towards the pitch of the ball and with his left leg dramatically in the air after pushing off for his shot, he nonchalantly lofted it over deep mid-wicket Jason Gillespie’s head for a big six. The timing was so extraordinary and the bat speed so rapid, that most spectators, some of who were in the throes of “Foster’s haze”, didn’t even realize Lara had played anything more than a defensive push. Sachin applauded at the other end. Lara was now on a steady and occasionally spectacular 72. Sachin, quieted down considerably after lunch and the hit on his lip, was on 59. The Rest of the World was on 149-2.
The next ball, a flipper, was pulled to the mid-wicket boundary for four, just to the right of a diving Martyn at mid-wicket. Warne again flighted the ball. This time it was hit straighter, right over the sight screen, for a six. Next ball, outside off, didn’t turn. Lara watched it into Gilly’s gloves. Last ball, again a flipper. Lara decides to get creative – he moves inside the line and square drives it for four. The crowd now awakens from their lunch-and-liquid diet-inspired stupor and get caught up in the Lara show.

Once Lara got in his stride, Sachin began rotating the strike brilliantly, occasionally producing a stroke of such delicate touch that Boycott invented the phrase “Oozing to the boundary”. Like the oh-so-very-late cut that he played off Warnie’s leg-spinner or the tuck off his hips, feet in the air – reminiscent of a Gavaskar in cruise mode against the Windies pace battery – for a single behind square off McGrath.

Steve Waugh decided to bring himself on for an over in which he was hit for two boundaries and a three by Lara, who now raced into the nineties. It had been a typically fluent Lara knock, all touch and timing to begin with and then unleashing the beast. It was then that it happened.

EPISODE SEVEN

Lara was blazing away, seemingly inexorably, to a century. He was 93 not out, and bowling to him was Jason Gillespie in the second over of a fresh spell. The first ball, slightly fuller in length in an attempt to find some reverse swing, was creamed to the cover boundary, all grace and accentuated follow through, with Lara on one knee and bat held up above the shoulder for the cameras. Jason followed it up with two glorious deliveries, both of which Lara negotiated with aplomb. Lara’s in the zone, feeling it.
Next ball, Dizzy throws it outside off-stump—a back-of-the-hand slower one. Lara late cuts and the square third man ran around to collect. Sachin, ever the earnest partner, is rapidly moving past Lara, who is ball-watching, on his second run and calling Lara through for the third run that would compile a well-crafted century. But Lara doesn’t hear Sachin amidst the crowd noise and is settling for the striker’s end, when he looks up and notices Sachin half-way down the track. He sends him back, grimaces and then starts up the track himself. The throw from Martyn thuds into Gilly’s gloves who promptly breaks the stumps and begins to celebrate. Lara turns around, takes off his helmet and starts walking back to the pavilion. The crowd is stunned into some silence and a slow clap starts.

Steve Waugh runs up to the square leg umpire and gesticulates towards the middle of the pitch. The square leg umpire, Hariharan, calls out and halts Lara. He consults with Simon Taufel and eventually beckons to Sachin. Sachin dejectedly looks at the umpires and walks off. Sachin run out (Martyn/Gilchrist) 74. ROW 197-3. “Yeah, get the li’l fella off, Tugga…,” the comments from the outfield slowly filtered up to Lara’s ears. Lara realized Steve Waugh was playing another mind-game. He would now throw the ball to Glen, and try and bait me… Trying to play on the Lara-Sachin rivalry. Well, I’ll be…

EPISODE EIGHT

The next few overs were a fiery confrontation between the bowlers and Lara. Lara, on 99, was not concerned about the single. Instead, he seemed more intent on proving a point to the Aussies. The circumstances revolving around Sachin’s departure had made him very, very upset; he put it out of his mind with a great effort just before every ball. Gillespie sensed it as soon as Rahul Dravid walked out to join Brian and the Trinidadian hardly spoke to The Wall before he took guard and got off the mark with a push past cover off the first ball. Gillespie now changed his field for Lara. He conceded the single, while keeping the boundaries covered. He banged in one short and Lara jumped around his crease, seemingly indecisive in his approach. McGrath was brought on at the other end and he, too, began peppering the upset Lara with sharp lifting ones aimed at his ribcage/chin area.
A couple of overs passed, with Lara bent on staying there, seemingly to avenge his brave partner’s unfortunately premature demise. Then, Gillespie banged one more in short. Lara decided this one was in the slot, even thought there was Lehmann at deep square leg and Warne at deep mid wicket. He pulled viciously over deep square for a six and reached a well-deserved century. He pulled off his helmet and gestured towards the dressing room where Sachin was standing to applaud, still with his pads on since he hadn’t gone into his dressing room after getting out, wanting to see Brian get to his hundred. Lara bowed to the dressing room after acknowledging the crowd. Gilly said from behind the stumps, “Well played, mate. Good one.”

The next half hour or so before tea and the session after that was pure mayhem. Lara unleashed a dazzling array of cover drives, on drives, cuts, pulls and hooks of such savage power that rarely did the Australian fielders have a chance to affect their inevitable destinations to the boundary line. By the end of the day, Lara had posted a double hundred in grand style, with consecutive fours off Warne. Rahul Dravid had perished to a beauty from Warne just after tea for 27, with the ROW at a healthy 295-4, but Lara received the dogged support of his fellow-West Indian, Shivnaraine Chanderpaul. Shiv was hanging around for a quietly compiled 32, while Lara was undefeated on 208. The Rest of the World, having had a nightmare start to the day, had finished the first day on a healthy 347-4. The two doyens on the art of batting had not only provided a day to savor, but one of them had inspired the other to the kind of heights he always seemed capable of, but never brought off completely convincingly.

EPILOGUE

”…And that’s the story of how Sachin Tendulkar inspired the Prince of Trinidad to hit a brilliant 291 in that one-off Brisbane match. Do you remember?” asked the Black Prince of the peripatetic journalist from Mumbai. He poured himself another shot from the bottle of El Dorado rum, as a faint breeze made the palm trees in the background sway and bring up the sea-salt smell up to the bar. “Wow!! That’s a cool one, man. Didn’t realize that’s what made Lara go berserk after tea. Still, the ROW team came close to losing that one, right?” Raul asked.

“What’s the matter with your facting memory? The umpires messed it up, my bwoy. ROW shoulda won by a mile… after that kinda knock from Lara and the great bowling from Shane Bond.”

“Er…, aren’t you forgetting Gilly’s hundred here, Princey?” Raul asked as he poured himself some rum. The Black Prince, leaning back against the wall with his head turned up towards the ceiling, was smiling beatifically with his eyes closed. If at all he had heard Raul's comment, he gave no sign. Presently he opened his eyes, started to pour himself another one, stopped with his hands dramatically paused in mid-air. He slowly turned around towards Raul. “Have you heard that one about Shivanaraine’s 200-ball triple century against South Africa?” Raul looks at his watch and at the amount of rum left in his glass. Outside a Berbician steel band is playing a familiar tune. It’s hot and sticky out there. And Princey would hook him up good by evening, he’d promised. So he took a swallow of El Dorado, sank further back into his seat and said, “No, Princey, my man. But I’d sure as hell like to hear it.”

http://www.cricketnetwork.co.uk/main/s119/st32118.htm[tscii:484ade4e43][/tscii:484ade4e43]

ajithfederer
29th November 2009, 02:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Ponting

Ponting's Page in wiki is extremely well written. This is what Tendulkar lacks in wiki (a detailed view). This page has an series wise analysis.

Sourav
29th November 2009, 07:38 AM
voted 4 sachin! 8-)

ajithfederer
8th January 2010, 10:41 PM
Ponting's fall from stratospheric heights

He has done enough to contend for the Player of the Decade title, but Ricky Ponting's stats have fallen significantly over the last three years

S Rajesh

January 8, 2010

He has done enough to be one of the leading contenders for Cricinfo's Player of the Decade (http://www.cricinfo.com/decadereview2009/content/story/440770.html) title, but Ricky Ponting himself will admit that over the last three years he has been significantly less than prolific. During a period in which batsmen have generally made merry, Ponting has scored only five hundreds in his last 32 Test matches (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/7133.html?class=1;spanmax1=08+jan+2010;spanmin1=01 +jan+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batt ing;view=innings) - a rate of one every 6.4 matches - while the average has dropped to a distinctly ordinary 41.44. Contrast this with his stats in the first seven years of the decade - an average of 65.73 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/7133.html?class=1;spanmax1=31+dec+2006;spanmin1=01 +jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batt ing;view=innings), and a rate of a hundred every 2.81 Tests over 76 matches.

Due to this relative slump, Ponting's overall average has dropped around five points during this period. The peak point (in terms of end-of-match average) came after the second Test of the Ashes series in 2006 (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/249223.html), when he made 142 and 49 to boost his career average to 59.99. One more run would have lifted his average to 60, but he never reached that high thereafter, and over his next 34 matches it has fallen to 54.79. Ponting is far from finished as a top-class batsman, but it's unlikely his average will ever reach those peaks again.

A disappointing feature of his batting during these three years has been the inability to convert fifties into hundreds, a malaise that has afflicted the entire Australian team this summer. During his peak period, Ponting made 27 centuries and 26 fifties, but in the last three years he has scored almost three times as many half-centuries as centuries. The ratio of Tests to 50-plus scores isn't that different (1.43 then, 1.68 now), but the uncharacteristically poor conversion has meant the average has slipped significantly.

Ricky Ponting's Test career, in three parts
Period Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s
Till Dec 31, 1999 33 2092 44.51 6/ 10
Jan 1, 2000 to 31 Dec 2006 76 7231 65.73 27/ 26
From Jan 1, 2007 32 2238 41.44 5/ 14
Career 141 11,561 54.79 38/ 50
With a cut-off of 1500 runs in the last three years (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting _average;qualmin1=1500;qualval1=runs;spanmin1=01+j an+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=battin g), Ponting's average puts him in 27th place, a huge fall from the days when he dominated the charts. Among those who have higher averages than his 41.44 are Daniel Vettori (44.97), Alastair Cook (42.47) and Ross Taylor (42.15).

In fact, even in his own team, Ponting has slipped down the table. Among those who've scored more than 750 runs for Australia in the last three years, Ponting's average puts him in seventh place. Even Michael Hussey, whose struggles have been highlighted far more, has a better average, though admittedly his slump only started towards the end of 2008.

Australia's batsmen in Tests in the last three years
Batsman Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s
Andrew Symonds 14 992 55.11 1/ 8
Michael Clarke 31 2449 53.23 8/ 12
Simon Katich 24 2132 52.00 6/ 12
Phil Jaques 9 806 50.37 3/ 5
Shane Watson 13 995 45.22 1/ 8
Michael Hussey 32 2240 43.07 6/ 11
Ricky Ponting 32 2238 41.44 5/ 14
Brad Haddin 24 1425 39.58 2/ 5
Matthew Hayden 15 942 37.68 3/ 2
Mitchell Johnson 31 916 27.75 1/ 4
Ponting's lack of runs has significantly weakened Australia's top-order batting, for he was a player who could, with equal skill, resurrect an innings after an early wicket or dominate after a strong opening stand. The next two tables examine his performances at No. 3 depending on the team score when he came in to bat. In the 16 innings in which he came in to bat with the first wicket falling before 20, Ponting averaged almost as much as his overall average during this period, which suggests he wasn't particularly susceptible to the new ball. He had a couple of particularly memorable knocks when he came in to bat in the first over of a series - against India in Bangalore in 2008 (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/345669.html), he scored 123 after Matthew Hayden fell third ball, and in Johannesburg last year he scored 83 (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/350472.html) after Phillip Hughes had been dismissed off the fourth ball.

When the openers put together 50 or more, Ponting's average improved, but only slightly, to 45.95.

Ponting at No. 3 since Jan 1, 2007
Entry score Innings Runs Average 100s/ 50s
less than 20 16 655 40.94 2/ 4
between 20 and 49 16 616 38.50 1/ 3
50 or more 23 965 45.95 2/ 7
Overall 55 2236 42.18 5/ 14
And here's how those numbers differ from his stats during his seven best years. The first row in the table below puts to rest the allegation that Ponting took shelter behind a strong opening combination and scored only when Hayden and Langer got the team off to a good start. In 27 innings Ponting came in at No. 3 when the first wicket had fallen for less than 10, and on eight of those instances he went on to score a century. Among the memorable knocks were 103 against South Africa in Durban (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/238202.html) after Hayden fell for a duck, and 117 against the same opponents in the Boxing Day Test in 2005 (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/226372.html). He averaged more than 67 in innings when the opening partnership added less than 10, and 50.55 when he came in with the score between 10 and 19.

Several of his huge knocks, though, came when the openers had got a bit of a start: all of his four double-hundreds came when the opening stand had yielded between 21 and 49. His 257 against India (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64061.html) came after the openers added 30; the 242 in Adelaide (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64060.html) followed an opening stand of 22, while his 207 against Pakistan (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64115.html) and 206 against West Indies (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64025.html) came after first-wicket partnerships of 26 and 49. His overall average in these innings following opening stands of between 20 and 49 was significantly higher than when the openers put together 50 or more.

Ponting at No. 3 between 2000 and Dec 31, 2006
Entry score Innings Runs Average 100s/ 50s
less than 10 27 1686 67.44 8/ 4
between 10 and 19 13 556 50.55 0/ 5
between 20 and 49 34 2637 87.90 11/ 7
50 or more 37 1802 64.36 7/ 6
Overall 111 6681 71.07 26/ 22
Ponting's poor form, coupled with the lack of runs from Hayden and Hussey, has brought down the batting average of Australia's top seven from 50.10 during the 2000-06 period to 44.77 in the last three years, which is lower than what Sri Lanka and India have averaged. That, coupled with the loss of a couple of bowling giants - their bowling average has increased from 27.46 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;spanmax2=31+dec+2006;spanmin2=0 1+jan+2000;spanval2=span;team_view=bowl;template=r esults;type=team) to 33.16 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;spanmax2=03+jan+2010;spanmin1=0 1+jan+2007;spanval1=span;spanval2=span;team_view=b owl;template=results;type=team) during this period - has been enough to reduce Australia to third position in the Test rankings.

Team-wise batting averages of the top 7 in the last three years
Team Runs Average 100s/ 50s Ave from 2000 to 2006 100s/ 50s
Sri Lanka 12,981 49.54 39/ 51 39.08 68/ 127
India 16,615 48.15 40/ 91 41.28 69/ 139
Australia 15,984 44.94 40/ 87 50.10 134/ 171
South Africa 14,265 44.76 40/ 65 40.76 80/ 159
England 16,623 40.04 44/ 82 38.07 96/ 195
Pakistan 7729 36.37 13/ 41 40.63 79/ 136
West Indies 10,677 35.00 23/ 53 35.60 70/ 169
New Zealand 8698 30.20 12/4 5 34.44 41/ 102
Bangladesh 4808 22.15 3/ 19 22.36 10/ 64
Zimbabwe - - - 28.14 20/ 86
S Rajesh is stats editor of Cricinfo

Feeds: S Rajesh

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/442971.html

Excellent article. This puts in the right time lines for consideration. Especially after Mcgrath/warne's exit from the test arena after 2007 ashes.

littlemaster1982
8th January 2010, 10:48 PM
Ponting supporters kitta idhai katti karutthu kekkalamna, appadi yaarum inga illaiye :think:

ajithfederer
8th January 2010, 10:49 PM
:D <--> 8-)

littlemaster1982
8th January 2010, 10:51 PM
Porumaiya ukkandu padikkiren. Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
8th January 2010, 11:02 PM
All sub-links added.

Movie Cop
8th January 2010, 11:54 PM
Paanting ku ellam poi indhe maadhiri oru analysis uhh? :shaking:

Batsmen like Paanting/Hayden/Jayavaradhan/Samaraveeran/Sandhira Baalan etc. have all taken full advantage to swell their Test batting averages and runs in what has been the worst decade for Test cricket bowling.

At least the likes of Jayavaradhan had Warne/McGrath to contend with in the aerly part of the decade. Paanting-ku adhuvum ille! :lol2:

ajithfederer
9th January 2010, 01:09 AM
Actually this is the first time that i came to know that Ponting had averaged as high as 60 during 2006 Ashes series. That's some high point actually :clap:.

ajithfederer
9th January 2010, 01:32 AM
Plum, If you haven't noticed yet Ponting's Test Average now is 54.79 i.e it has dropped below 55.

Movie Cop
9th January 2010, 01:48 AM
I remember there was a time (may be 4 years back), where both Paanting and Dravid was averaging well over 58. In fact, Dravid's average went a trifle over 59 albeit for a very short time (i.e. for couple of Tests may be). It's a big fall especially for Dravid whose average slipped to 52 for a while not so long ago. Hope the recent Lankan series is the beginning of yet another spike for Dravid.

Paanting idhe form continue pannunaaru na - avaroda average 52/51 slip aaga vaaipu irruku. :) Coming to think of it, Sachin stayed at 58 very briefly but was on 57 for quite sometime, I guess.

By the by, Superstar Dhoni is staying at 51 in ODI's! :shaking:

littlemaster1982
9th January 2010, 01:50 AM
Sachin was having 57.xx for more than 2 years, If I'm not wrong.

Movie Cop
9th January 2010, 01:54 AM
Yes definitely, LM.

ajithfederer
9th January 2010, 02:02 AM
When were those years exactly ?.

Dravid in the 58's and sachin in 57's?.

Movie Cop
9th January 2010, 02:17 AM
IIRC, it is around 2004-2005, I guess.

littlemaster1982
9th January 2010, 02:54 AM
Sachin in 57 is around 97-99, I guess.

ajithfederer
9th January 2010, 02:59 AM
Sachin averaged 58 in the 90's (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=start;s panmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanmin1=01+Jan+1990;spanval1= span;template=results;type=batting;view=match)

Sachin averaged 56.70 from his debut till 2000's (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=start;s panmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanval1=span;template=results ;type=batting;view=match)

Sachin's average from 2000's to 2009 - 53.20 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=start;s panmin1=01+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results ;type=batting;view=match)

Actually the first 4 matches of his career reduced his average form 58 to 56.70 until the 2000's.

:clap:.

ajithfederer
9th January 2010, 03:08 AM
Tendulkar averages 56.56 away in the 90's (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2; orderby=start;spanmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanmin1=01+Jan +1990;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting; view=match)

filtered 1990-1999
Matches: 39
Inns: 61
NO: 6
Runs: 3111
H.S: 177
Ave: 56.56
100's: 13
50's: 12

SRT :clap:

ajithfederer
9th January 2010, 03:12 AM
A notch below 90's but still quite impressive.

Tendulkar/away/2000's (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2; orderby=start;spanmin1=01+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;t emplate=results;type=batting;view=match)

Time span 2000-2009
Matches: 47
Inns: 79
Not out's : 8
Runs: 3839
H.S : 248*
Ave: 54.07
100's: 11
50's : 16