PDA

View Full Version : Public Forums - A Waste of Time?

r_kk
13th June 2005, 11:04 AM
[tscii:1395107c71]
I stand by what I said earlier!! Religions by themselves are all held sacred all right, but what eventually governs society at large is the intepretation.
!

Just blaming the effect as bad and considering the cause as good is difficult to accept. I can write with examples from life God type characters, prophets, messiahs and from so-called holy books to express my views but I don't want to deviate from the subject of current thread.

Many of the modern (so-called) women argue against the various old tools used by society to suppress them, but at the same time, they praise some of the latest/modern exploitation tools like beauty contexts, fashion shows, dresses, jewels, beauty (!!!) tips, TV serials and food recipes. Why women are spending lot of their energy in discussing these issues?

Even here, many hubbers prefers to choose film stars as their icons and showing more interest in discussing about them rather than choosing subjects on real achievers/ pioneers/activists (like “Metha Patkar” or “Captain Lakshmi Sehgal” or “Kalpana Chawla”) in scientific/political/economical/social fields.

Some times I just don’t understand the reasons behind overwhelming responses (some are on cheeks and eyes) of female hubbers on a thread about young/handsome hero of a unreleased movie and not even a single response from any female hubbers on a thread, which provides life long hard struggle of an old lady (real beautiful women), who had brought land to thousands of landless people. It is nothing wrong or bad in appreciating a co-hubber/friend or talking about entertainments or food recipes but I couldn't understand the reason behind giving more importance to these kind of subjects than real issues.

What is real freedom? Who has to be blamed for the present status? society or men or women themsevles?

Can any female hubbers explain about their understanding/ expectation of feminism or women rights or the real needs of current/ future women in a well balanced society?

[/tscii:1395107c71]

pavalamani pragasam
13th June 2005, 11:16 AM
r_kk :clap: I too want to know where my tribe is heading to. What are their real goals, what are their concepts of pleasure/satisfaction/fulfilment. :)

nirosha sen
13th June 2005, 12:40 PM
Rk - I can well understand your consternation at the tone of the other threads! For someone with a more serious temperament such as yourself, I reckon some of the other discussions would indeed sound frivolous!!

But, is there any real reason to put others with more differing views in a straight-jacket which you are obviously doing???? Freedom to jest or merely to release some tension from the more disconcerting aspects of life, is no excuse to be disparaged!

I call it a sense of humour and youth when one is not only able to discuss the more serious issues of this world, but also to be able to laugh at oneself as well as with others on the more mundane ones!!

As for beauty tips, fashion shows, etc, I honestly don't see why one should not show any interest. Isn't that part and parcel of an interest in personal grooming????!!!!

I do have a question though. Who is this wonderful elderly lady who has worked tirelessly to settle the homeless???? Please share it with us! I'm sure all of us would love to read more of her good work! :D

r_kk
13th June 2005, 01:30 PM
Please share it with us! I'm sure all of us would love to read more of her good work! :D

Please read it in "Unsung Hero/heroines" thread.... (posted long back...)

Regarding fashion shows, beauty contests , the term of beauty and etc... etc my opinions differ with most of the women. Let me wait for some more time to see how other female hubbers react to the core questions I had raised...

[Do you know when Indian women started looking beautiful to the western eyes and consequently got titles? (after opening up Indian econmy or before)]

a.ratchasi
13th June 2005, 01:51 PM
[tscii:0de7f4ce28]
Just blaming the effect as bad and considering the cause as good is difficult to accept. I can write with examples from life God type characters, prophets, messiahs and from so-called holy books to express my views but I don't want to deviate from the subject of current thread.

Thank you. I appreciate that you do not intend to digress the topic.

Many of the modern (so-called) women argue against the various old tools used by society to suppress them, but at the same time, they praise some of the latest/modern exploitation tools like beauty contexts, fashion shows, dresses, jewels, beauty (!!!) tips, TV serials and food recipes. Why women are spending lot of their energy in discussing these issues?.]
The same reason why men watch sports, extreme games, meddle with their cars, power tools, booze and what not.

Even here, many hubbers prefers to choose film stars as their icons and showing more interest in discussing about them rather than choosing subjects on real achievers/ pioneers/activists (like “Metha Patkar” or “Captain Lakshmi Sehgal” or “Kalpana Chawla”) in scientific/political/economical/social fields.?.
Primitive..very primitive...
Do you know what any of the female hubbers here are? Before you went on disparaging the lady hubbers here, you could have at least observed the rappo between the hubbers, which you did not I dare say. Btw, the ladies here are not elementary level schoolers to get excited over lady achievers alone.

Some times I just don’t understand the reasons behind overwhelming responses (some are on cheeks and eyes) of female hubbers on a thread about young/handsome hero of a unreleased movie and not even a single response from any female hubbers on a thread, which provides life long hard struggle of an old lady (real beautiful women), who had brought land to thousands of landless people. It is nothing wrong or bad in appreciating a co-hubber/friend or talking about entertainments or food recipes but I couldn't understand the reason behind giving more importance to these kind of subjects than real issues.?
Don't try too hard to understand what you dont and never will.
You are being such a spoiltsport.

What is real freedom? Who has to be blamed for the present status? society or men or women themsevles?

Can any female hubbers explain about their understanding/ expectation of feminism or women rights or the real needs of current/ future women in a well balanced society?
Finally, a sensible address!
Can you as a male hubber tell me how you came to such a chauvinistic conclusion? Whatever I say wont satisfy you or the likeminded as long as you are in the same prejudiced frame of mind. You could have just put forth the last paragraph (minus the word highlighted/underlined) and I would have gladly posted how I feel about the issues concerning and how I want it to be. Not forgetting what I am doing in my capacity as a lady in my day to day life.

Unfortunately, you had to bring down the lady hubbers in a not so nice manner and yet expect one and all to answer your queries? :shock:

If you think this is a feminist outburst, so be it.

[/tscii:0de7f4ce28]

NM
13th June 2005, 01:54 PM
What is real freedom?
Freedom to me is to think and do what i please...

Who has to be blamed for the present status? society or men or women themsevles? guess it's a combination of society, men and women too...

I admire Mother Teresa, Mother Mangalam (in malaysia), Katherine Hepburn, Ang Suu Kyi, Indira Gandhi, Maggie Thatcher, Evita Peron, Nancy Reagan, Princess Diana, my mom , my grandma....

I believe each of them has a quality that I love and admire and if I have at least 10% of the qualities of each of the above people, I would at least achieve perhaps 10% of what I am supposed to do in this world. Being a male or a female is not important, but being a person, respected, humble, couragious, loving, sincere, strong, helpful, respectful, visionary means a lot to me.
That's my view and this is not about feminisme etc but abt being a real person and doing things for the soul......

r_kk
13th June 2005, 02:21 PM
Hi a_r,
My outlook may be different and may look primitive, mundane... I am not saying that my perspective in this issue as correct. Whatever I had written is just my views, which I gained from various phases of life (as an active members of some movements). When I wrote my post I was expecting such replies (calling me as male chauvinistic or out of date) but I don't want to hide my rough views under nice mask.

I am eager to know where I stand. I am ready to correct my views, if I proove to be standing at the wrong side...

Can you now explain about women rights in your point of view?

a.ratchasi
13th June 2005, 03:25 PM
r_kk, women rights?

*Not to be told how to think

*Not to be told what one should do

*Not to be judged when matters are handled differently

*To be able able to do what one wants to do-minus the veil

*To eliminate the need to prove oneself to detractors. There's no need for anybody to prove anything to anybody.

*Not to be seen as cause of everthing and subjugated likewise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not asking the society to help women to achieve these but this should be a wake up call for women. And a woman becomes no lesser woman by watching serials and involving in mindless banters as much a man remains a man irregardless of what he does.

r_kk
13th June 2005, 03:59 PM
Hi a_r,
Your views are refreshing and ideal ones...

When I sit back and cooly look at my previous post, I have noticed that the sentences I had used out of my anger, is not proper. Now I feel that I should have written in different way without making generalized comments and direct attack on hubbers with different views...

Here everyone whether the women or man, they should have their own freedom to choose what they want to be, to choose their own interests....

I have so many practical issues about womenrights, commercialization ... etc etc... I will come up with those issues later....

hehehewalrus
13th June 2005, 06:10 PM
My 2 paise on this topic(and many other topics of this nature) :)

I dont know what percentage of the hub really comes here for intellectual betterment. For one thing, this is a completely cosmopolitan forum where each fellow stays 10000 miles apart from the next postor and as such has different motives for visiting this forum. The common motives are

1. homesickness due to being away from home and working with culturally distinct colleagues,
2. too much idle time on ones hands and inability to play games in office,
3. finding likeminded people(this is a highly laughable reason for how can two guys 10000 miles apart be like minded?),
4. doing some spindoctoring, brainwashing, damage control, mudslinging etc, which requires tremendous willpower and self-belief - who takes these posts seriously - even on some weighty intellectual topics? The only threads of ANY Practical value here are the TV serial updates, other than that, rest of the topics are just a jumble of individual opinions and thoughts criss crossing each other. Of course, jokes and wisecracks are good here since you can just take your brains off and enjoy them :D

Beauty contests, Dowry, Sanskrit vs Tamil .....baaaaaaah, 1000s of books have been written on them - apart from the 4-5 people who participate in those threads, nobody even bothers to glance at it! Even if someone recommends an authoritative volume on some subject, heck, I dont even have the time to read my 60 page training booklet on Visual Basic cover-to-cover, how the hell will I get the time to go through a 700 page volume??

For instance a topic like "Role of women".....
1. Nobody is going to arrive at a consensus as to how women should be treated/illtreated.
2. Ten people will utilise the opportunity to jump in and prove how badly women were treated in 794 BC
3. Fifteen people will jump in with band aid and prove that women were well treated in 794 BC.
4. Moderator will lock the thread :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
5. People will carry over the hostilities to the next thread.

To waste one's time and brain cells in thinking of IMPROVEMENT Topics and propagating them in the hope that they will be taken seriously is sheer foolishness in a forum frequented by housewives, bored software engineers and completely confused ABCD kids who cant distinguish a dosa from a chappathi. People come here to give their brains a rest, not to make them explode :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Understand the strengths of the medium before you communicate the message. Already I see lot of hubbers personal problems/information being carelessly divulged and there is tremendous scope for misuse and hurts in future, I really pity the mods and unfortunate hubbers.

In case you still think you can make a difference, remember - it takes only 3 posts to push your post to the previous page and then it becomes as useful as yesterday's newspaper :D

Understand the weaknesses of the medium before you communicate the message! Understand the weaknesses of the medium before you communicate the message!

pavalamani pragasam
13th June 2005, 06:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

nirosha sen
13th June 2005, 07:14 PM
:rotfl: For once, out of the mouths of Babes!!

pavalamani pragasam
13th June 2005, 08:14 PM
I was so tickled by the post of hehehewalrus that my spontaneous reaction was to applaud :lol:

Now, let us analyse the highly cynical posting-coming under the "housewives" category, with so much time to do nothing, I can afford to indulge in such analyses :D

"Intellectual betterment" can mean coming to know of so many things easily in this forum, a sort of versatile newspaper- an undeniable benefit.

What is so "laughable" about finding like-minded people? I just fail to understand or agree. Does 10000 miles or matter? Haven't we read about KOpperunjchOzan & Pisiraanthaiyaar? When I was a kid there were pen friend clubs hosted by some children's magazines. Many children pursued it as a happy, healthy activity. I see this forum as a modern version of the pen-friend clubs of yester years. Maintaining relationship with long distance friends, sharing thoughts with temperamentally different people are quite possible.

Agreed there is a lot of gossip-innocent & malicious. But there are also spakling wit & harmless banter. There is scholarly exercises, literary dissertations, scientific inclinations, sheer joy of honing one's writing skills!

"To waste one's time and brain cells in thinking of IMPROVEMENT Topics and propagating them in the hope that they will be taken seriously is sheer foolishness in a forum frequented by housewives, bored software engineers and completely confused ABCD kids who cant distinguish a dosa from a chappathi. People come here to give their brains a rest, not to make them explode "- such cynicism can only be laughed at. :lol:

Ignore the chaff, steer away from fanatic wrangling scenes, learn new information on a variety of subjects and ENJOY!

j.chenkalvarayan
13th June 2005, 08:20 PM
i endorse he3walrus' view. whatever he says is very true.

r_kk
14th June 2005, 04:55 AM
My 2 paise on this topic(and many other topics of this nature) :)

Understand the weaknesses of the medium before you communicate the message! Understand the weaknesses of the medium before you communicate the message!

Walrus,

You are right.... Thanks for the valuable information.

I am thinking of writting a "venba poem" on Aishwarya's beauty or provide "vaastu" advise to built a temple for her... It may be very useful and show my +views in appraising womehood. If a man can act on his freewill to booze, woman also has the unquestionable rights.... If a men can watch sports, women can watch serials... If a man can show interest on cars, then woman can show interest in jewells...

Sorry female hubbers, I did/do not have any interests to those items which are attributed to men's freewill!!! I understood my male chauvinistic views (!!!) will be no longer tolerated. Let me keep off from this topic....

nirosha sen
14th June 2005, 05:57 AM
:lol: RK - If you compose a poem for Ash or build a temple for her, you do so out of your own obsession for her Pa!!

The likes of me could only marvel at the gift of fine cheekbones, a good figure and beautiful green eyes, that God has bestowed on this specimen of womanhood, hence my avatar was chosen!! :D

NM
14th June 2005, 06:24 AM
HHHwalrus....your post was superb! Loved it! You are right, i'm one of the hubbers who join the forum to have a bit of fun and to relax. I seldom involve in serious discussions - i hv enough problems of my own to think abt!

But, on the other hand, we shouldn't restrict those who want to hv the discussions, right? :wink: :wink: They're free to do it as long as the discussions don't turn ugly... :cry:

r_kk
14th June 2005, 07:42 AM
[tscii:a2ec70f883]
:lol: RK - If you compose a poem for Ash or build a temple for her, you do so out of your own obsession for her Pa!!

The likes of me could only marvel at the gift of fine cheekbones, a good figure and beautiful green eyes, that God has bestowed on this specimen of womanhood, hence my avatar was chosen!! :D

Hi Nirosha,
Unfortunately I have more real issues than praising a film star like Ash… I felt my grandma’s wrinkles which show years of hard work in cultivating cotton under harsh sun is more beautiful… The dark black eyes of my grandma are nowhere less beautiful than less melanin green eyes…

“…fine cheekbone” Sorry I can’t understand the meaning of fine… may be some orthopedist can tell…
“…God … bestowed … specimen of womanhood…” Sorry I am having no interest to talk about such womanhood or consider her as specimen of womanhood…

As I said before, I am becoming more unfit to this subject. So let me keep off….

Please go ahead and praise the greatness of such womanhood.
[/tscii:a2ec70f883]

pavalamani pragasam
14th June 2005, 08:52 AM
Not so hasty, r_kk :D Your views do sound sensible, you're not at all unfit to speak on the matter having such remarkable wisdom & judgement :D

Shekhar
14th June 2005, 10:05 AM
I for one is here in the hub 95% frolicking. But I would still say hehewalrus is erring on the extreme.

All said and done, this hub exposes us to different view points, which many times come as a surprise, the view points I thought didn't exist. Overtly I may still carry my view point. But I would think a bit more next time I have to form an opinion.

I put a lot of things humourously, in a light hearted vein. But there is a lot of seriousness behind the facade of humour. It is to convey a point without straining the brain. :)

But as you say. most of the of discussions are on cliche topics, hardly worth a second glance.

r_kk
14th June 2005, 10:25 AM
Hello PP madam,

Thanks for your support to some of my views on the women rights. I will try to be around and post my views on such crucial issues, whenever it is required, whether other fello hubbers like it or not.

This is one of the prime issue and I know that keeping quiet on such issue is not correct.

a.ratchasi
14th June 2005, 11:18 AM
Thank you all, from PP to Shekhar, from r_kk to Niro. :)

Walrus, there is much sense to what you have said. Similarly, there isnt any harm in allocating a mere 5% on resounding issues, is there? :wink:

r_kk, looking forward to your views...

rajraj, I will be back on that.. 8)

Raghu
14th June 2005, 07:28 PM
[tscii:dcd829aca9]
Some times I just don’t understand the reasons behind overwhelming responses (some are on cheeks and eyes) of female hubbers on a thread about young/handsome hero of a unreleased movie and not even a single response from any female hubbers on a thread, which provides life long hard struggle of an old lady (real beautiful women), who had brought land to thousands of landless people. It is nothing wrong or bad in appreciating a co-hubber/friend or talking about entertainments or food recipes but I couldn't understand the reason behind giving more importance to these kind of subjects than real issues.?

Dear R_KK

The intention of 'My Film Poster' thread is just for entertainment, pls pardon me if I am wrong, but none of the so called intellectual Seniors (with an exception of Sudhama sir) started any USEFUL topics here, but a youth of my AGE started, topics like Mahabharata & Ramayana, are these entertainments topics?

Pls don't blame the youth, me being a youth have posted hell of lot philosophy according to my LIMITED KNOWLEDGE, now even here the so called some Seniors (again with the exception of Sudhama sir) have they EVER participated in the MAHABHARTH & RAMAYANA threads, a BIG NO, so it is very wrong to say about the female hubbers and youth here.

And now, don't worry R_KK thanks to you my film thread has been locked, no problem. :cry: :banghead:
[/tscii:dcd829aca9]

Raghu
14th June 2005, 07:30 PM
sorry for posting the above post now, cos I just when through this thread today!!!

hehehewalrus
14th June 2005, 11:55 PM
What is so "laughable" about finding like-minded people? I just fail to understand or agree. Does 10000 miles or matter? Haven't we read about KOpperunjchOzan & Pisiraanthaiyaar?

Sorry, in my 21 years in TN I have never heard of KOps and Pis. BTW, our NRI regulars here will take half a day to pronounce these 2 names and half a day to spell them right.

When I was a kid there were pen friend clubs hosted by some children's magazines. Many children pursued it as a happy, healthy activity. I see this forum as a modern version of the pen-friend clubs of yester years. Maintaining relationship with long distance friends, sharing thoughts with temperamentally different people are quite possible.
Yes they were and I myself subscribed to 2 of them - Children's World and Gokulam. But IMHO, by the time you get to know "likeminded" person on the web, you will easily get to know 5-10 such people in the real world. Is there such a shortage of temperamentally different people among our neighbors/relations?

Agreed there is a lot of gossip-innocent & malicious. But there are also spakling wit & harmless banter. There is scholarly exercises, literary dissertations, scientific inclinations, sheer joy of honing one's writing skills!

Let me give a suggestion. It makes more sense to write one's critical opinions on politics, religion, sports, economics in a blog where you can find dozens of likeminded people in a single day(It is a totally different issue whether politicians/bureaucrats actually surf the web to get better ideas or resolve complaints so all your rants and raves on the political system count for nothing :D )

"To waste one's time and brain cells in thinking of IMPROVEMENT Topics and propagating them in the hope that they will be taken seriously is sheer foolishness in a forum frequented by housewives, bored software engineers and completely confused ABCD kids who cant distinguish a dosa from a chappathi. People come here to give their brains a rest, not to make them explode "- such cynicism can only be laughed at.

See, I told you the whole thing is a joke and you're already laughing :P

Seriously, I have met a dozen people on in the real world after discussing sport/politics/literature with them on the net. But I also know the difference between what is a pragmatic medium and what medium is a sheer waste of time.

Walrus, there is much sense to what you have said. Similarly, there isnt any harm in allocating a mere 5% on resounding issues, is there?

ok, here's the distribution of surfers here:
Uk - Raghu/Anoushka/Rohit
India - Stanher/r-kk/Scorpio/Shekar/PP
SG/Malaysia- NS/AR/NM/tomato
NA - pradheep/hhhw/Sudhama
Dreamworld between India and US - Surya/hindustaniLadka

These are the people who keep hitting refresh every 2 min and increase the total hits to 11345. And since all of the above spend 80 hours a week before a computer and their weekends visiting the doctor for treating backpain, whether Zulu is superior to Tamil or how women or humanoids or ETs were treated five thousand years ago will make zero difference to their lives. You think that with such diversity, talks on cultural issues really matter?

But no, pls dont stop anything, sun TV is available free on the net, ESPN is available free, all newspapers are free, why limit postings and reduce scope of entertaining fights on this forum where people are so DETERMINED to waste their time? I'd be glad to add in a spicy sentence or two from time to time if things are too boring :P

r_kk
15th June 2005, 02:39 AM
[tscii:b186cd64a2][quote="r_kkDear R_KK

The intention of 'My Film Poster' thread is just for entertainment, pls pardon me if I am wrong, but none of the ...
Pls don't blame the youth, me being a youth have posted hell of lot philosophy according to my LIMITED KNOWLEDGE, now even here....[/tscii:b186cd64a2]

Dear Raghu,
I did/do not have any intendion to hurt you or blame any one specifically. I tried to use your thread as example to show the amount of time/type/effort put on gossiping such subjects.

I am not against joyful & healthy exchange of comments or discussion between men and women on casual issues. In fact healthy relationship and more openness in excahnging thoughts need to be welcomed. If hubbers would have discussed about your acting abilities after seeing your movies, then I also would have participated.

I understand that you might have put lot of sincire effort to reach such level in a competative entertainment field. I appreciate it, but please note that my arguments are against concepts, not about individuals. You might have noted that I also wrote against the concept of beauty and used "Ash.." as example. It doesn't mean that I am against such filrmstars who have lot of talents.

NOV
15th June 2005, 06:40 AM
Personally I can vouch for the fact that I have benefitted tremendously in participating in forums such as this and TFMPage.

For one I have widened my circle of friends. Most importantly, I have expanded my knowledge on many issues. I am glad that there are now platforms available to answer whatever questions anyone may have, from people who actually live in that situation

I have also been exposed to different cultures, sets of thinkings, opinions, views...
Many discussions have changed my view on subjects that I had different thoughts about.

Everyone, from the most knowledeable to the most irritant have been sources of some information.

Such study of human behaviour can never be experienced in the small sampling of personal friendships/acquaintances we have.

Surya
15th June 2005, 06:42 AM

Dreamworld? :? :? First something random about enlightened cows, now this? :lol: Where do u get these things about dreamworlds and enlightened holy cows?!? :rotfl:

NM
15th June 2005, 06:46 AM
Many discussions have changed my view on subjects that I had different thoughts about.

Everyone, from the most knowledeable to the most irritant have been sources of some information.

Such study of human behaviour can never be experienced in the small sampling of personal friendships/acquaintances we have.
Very true, NOV! :thumbsup: Tho' i visit the hub mainly to release my tension/emotions & hv fun, i must agree with u that i hv "met" many pleasant souls here and learnt a lot too, tho' i don't participate in heavy discussions! :wink:

a.ratchasi
15th June 2005, 06:52 AM
NOV, I agree and feel the same with all that you have said.
:thumbsup:

Badri
15th June 2005, 07:10 AM
Absolutely! I first came across this Hub while searching for some query on Indian Classical Music, and I found answers to what I was looking for.

The Hub is not just about the Miscellaneous and History & Culture Forums, right, where we have all-consuming discussions on the egg coming first or the chicken. There are other Forums out there like Food, Music etc. where people actually learn stuff. While going through those, I have come across messages like, "I cooked this dish, and my husband and kids just loved it. Thank you for posting the recipe here and making my family happy!"

Hey, if the sum total of human happiness in this world can be increased by one woman learning a recipe in this Hub, I'd say a public forum like this is doing a lot!

On a very personal front, ever since coming to this Hub, I have learnt a lot, and am able to hold conversations with people at work and in the personal front on a variety of topics that I've come across in the Hub!

And as others before me have pointed out, I have made some wonderful friends! NM has promised to visit me when she comes to Melbourne, right, NM, and make peanut chutney for me!! Hey, how else would I have someone like NM come and make peanut chutney for me in Melbourne, if not for this Hub?

NM
15th June 2005, 07:15 AM
And as others before me have pointed out, I have made some wonderful friends! NM has promised to visit me when she comes to Melbourne, right, NM, and make peanut chutney for me!! Hey, how else would I have someone like NM come and make peanut chutney for me in Melbourne, if not for this Hub?thambi, u r rite'........ :D :D don't forget the maavadu that u're gonna bring or i can make using NOV's recipe...
Hmm...yes, i have made wonderful friends here at the hub! :D :D

Badri
15th June 2005, 07:16 AM
I forgot to add, besides friends, I've even found an ANNA in this HUB!! :lol:

NOV
15th June 2005, 07:27 AM
Question asked: Public Forums - A Waste of Time?

Absolutely! .........

Badri
15th June 2005, 07:28 AM
Question asked: Public Forums - A Waste of Time?

Absolutely!

I know!!! And you know what is worse? By mistake, I even voted "Yes" in the poll!! :oops:

Nerd
15th June 2005, 07:31 AM
Hey, if the sum total of human happiness in this world can be increased by one woman learning a recipe in this Hub, I'd say a public forum like this is doing a lot!

naalu pErukku nallathu senjA edhuvumE thappillai :D [/quote]

Surya
15th June 2005, 07:50 AM

naalu pErukku nallathu senjA edhuvumE thappillai :D

Neenge nallavara kettavara? :shock:

a.ratchasi
15th June 2005, 07:54 AM
Badri, are you alright? :)

Badri
15th June 2005, 08:00 AM
Badri, are you alright? :)

Am asking myself the same question, a.r!! :shock:

I'm beginning to think it is all due to the effect of an "anna" in the Hub.

NOV
15th June 2005, 08:04 AM
guys, please don't deviate too much and inadvertently answer the question to this thread! :rotfl:

Badri
15th June 2005, 08:05 AM
guys, please don't deviate too much and inadvertently answer the question to this thread! :rotfl:

a.r: see what I mean?? :roll:

Alright, alright! No more digressions!!

a.ratchasi
15th June 2005, 08:11 AM
Reproducing it here upon request:

...whether Zulu is superior to Tamil or how women or humanoids or ETs were treated five thousand years ago will make zero difference to their lives. You think that with such diversity, talks on cultural issues really matter?

If it doesnt matter to you, it's alright.

It may not make any major difference to anybody's life as you say, but it will give each a different perspective on issues that lingered in mind but not questioned.

Whether you agree or not, it's your discretion, which I do not intend argue in length (hint!hint!).

By the way, the hub does not consist of the selected few that you have highlighted.

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 08:27 AM

naalu pErukku nallathu senjA edhuvumE thappillai :D

Naalu pera surrrrrrrrr-nu nalla thunda thunda varthayaala vettipota thaan oruthanaachum namma post panradha padichittu gammunu kelvi kekaama irupaan :D

NOV, if I am viewed as the catalyst for this confusion, let me re-assert my post in the original thread - I thought I was very clear about my stand there:

Topics like music/movies/comedies/cooking/literature are always good. I have about 30/40 files on General issues in my Yahoo briefcase collected from forums like this.

What is COMPLETELY AND ABSOLUTELY USELESS are the debates on subjective topics like "Women's rights", "Oldest Language", "Zulu race superior than Sudan race" etc - these are definitely a waste of time :)

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 08:29 AM
Reproducing it here upon request:

If it doesnt matter to you, it's alright.

Sorry, I take back my statement - now it really matters to me, since it is so much fun to watch. I promise I wont interfere though and I will quietly enjoy in silent mode hereafter :)

NOV
15th June 2005, 08:33 AM
NOV, if I am viewed as the catalyst for this confusion, let me re-assert my post in the original thread - I thought I was very clear about my stand there:Yes hhhw, you are indeed one of the catalyst. :)
Fact is, this discussion is definitely worth pondering upon, and warrants special attention, thus this thread.

On subjects you thought were useless for discussion, let me assert that you get diamonds from dirt. The trick is not to stop looking, but to ignore the irrelevant.

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 08:35 AM

Dreamworld? :? :? First something random about enlightened cows, now this? :lol: Where do u get these things about dreamworlds and enlightened holy cows?!? :rotfl:

Surya,
You and HindustaniLadka have place of origin as US and left India for good close to a decade back. But you are very much concerned about how Indian white elephants like HAL/ISRO are functioning. So it's not clear whether you are in India or US.

Anyway you have chosen this opportunity to attack a member of the cow family :(
[walrus means kadalpasu in tamil :P )

Badri
15th June 2005, 08:38 AM
On subjects you thought were useless for discussion, let me assert that you get diamonds from dirt. The trick is not to stop looking, but to ignore the irrelevant.

Diamond rings, at any rate! :lol:

Just to add to that, while nothing phenomenal might happen to women or the Zulus because we have discussed women's lib or Zulu supremacy in this Forum, I think it helps constantly re-evaluate our thinking and our approach to many things.

True, real life does this too, but this virtual life brings together so quickly so many view points, so many characters.

My English teacher would often say that reading novels actually prepares you better for life and broadens your mind, because simply by reading, you come in contact with so many different characters, at least some of which you might encounter in real life. And this Hub provides real characters, live ones, an analysis of which can be a project of a lifetime!

As Pope rightly says, the proper study of mankind is man!

That way, this is still a take-home, even from an inane discussion on the status of ET in 350 BC!

:)

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 08:53 AM
Nov,
I made it quite clear what is waste and what is not.
But you have very CLEVERLY twisted the idea and given a general topic to the poll as "Do you think participating in public forums such as this forum, is a waste of time?" for which the obvious answer is no!
Carry on :twisted:

NOV
15th June 2005, 08:54 AM
No, no, hhhw.

I have no such evil intentions. :rotfl:
Taking the mood of the discussions, I chose this title. If you see the first posting of this thread, you can detect the flow of the discussions.

gaddeswarup
15th June 2005, 10:35 AM
I started participating in these forums last August partly to understand about farmers' suicides about A.P. I did find some very knowledgeable people and a lot of information but I found that often discussions do not lead to any consensus or satisfactory conclusions. Some seem to be addicted to the internet and just respond off the cuff, some like to have fun, some like to be provocative. When I expressed my disappointment to a friend whom I met in one forum, I found his response helped me to tone my expectations. I enclose part of it:

"Swarup, re your comments, with all due respect, I think you have the
wrong mental picture of an egroup. It is closer to conversation at a
party, than a debate in a peer reviewed journal. Unfortunately, since
everything is written down, there is the awkward possibility that
people can later analyze what you have written. But, unless the poster makes clear that this is a definitive post (eg. cite references, like
S does) it cannot be held to the same standards. This is all
the more so if people hedge their answers like Y did "Naa vivaranalo
yemainaa tappu umte Kshaminchi sarididda manavi".
However, the very diffuse nature of knowledge in these groups is
sometimes its strongest point. For instance, once I wanted songs on
sImaMtaM for a function. One post in RB produced many responses, saying things like "I think there was a song in xyz movie". True or false, it was a simple matter to chase it down knowing the movie name.
So if you're looking for leads, or conversation, these groups are
great. If you're looking for validated answers, unfortunately, they are not. People, even brilliant ones, are not always in their scholarly mode!
But one thing you pointed out is true - we Telugus, and Indians in
general, seem to take great pride in ourselves, for no good reason. I
don' t know if you saw Swadesh, where the villager claims in effect
that even though we are behind in everything, we have our "paraMparA aur saMsKRtI" which no other country has. This is a pernicious attitude, and we should be on guard against it .."
Coming back to the original problem I started with, there have been over the last several months much information and insights by several leading to Sainath's artcles in Hindu:
http://www.indiatogether.org/opinions/psainath/suiseries.htm
and
(MRS.) SYEDA S HAMEED, Member Planning Commission, GOI.

http://www.irma.ac.in/convocation/guest.html
I recently found that there are organizations like Deccan Development Society working along the lines suggested by Dr. Hameed.
Another interest was to encourage popular science and technical writing in Telugu and other vernacular languages. I found some leads to organizations writing in Tamil who are also working with some groups in A.P.
Along the way, I found about Vilayanur Ramachandran, Taramgambadi and early printing in Tamil and Telugu and so on. I made contact with several interesting people and some agreed to participate in some of the projects. There has been lot of fun too and some idea about what others think on various topics. It has been a good ride so far.
Swarup

tvsankar
15th June 2005, 10:58 AM
Discussion gara word ku meaning theriyadha,subject knowledge lladha members dhan ingae adhigam irukirargal. Adhanal nalla talented personalities,avargaludiaya vishayangal ellam kindaluku uriyadha poi vidugiradhu.
Adhanal nalla vishyangal ellam kupaiyaga mudindhu vidugiradhu...Thread il nalla info vai vida kuppaigal dhan adigam.Adhu padiparvargalin waste of time dhan.
For example.IR thread enru solli adhil irukukm message ellam discussion gara peril subjectaga sollamal avarai ciriticie seidhu sonna vishayangal dhan adigam.Yaravadhu vishayangalaga solla vandhalum kindal siedhu avargalai thorathi viduvadhu dhan ingae nadakiradhu.
TIS varum samayam IR ai yarum pugazha vendam.Yarum criticise panna vendamae!!! Adhu indha TFM page ku dhan izhuku!!
Nammudiaya oru Periya Manidharai nam madhikamal ponal veru yar madhipargal?
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 11:16 AM
aiyo usha sankar, thappaana idathula vandhu IR pugazh paadeeteengale :lol2:
Idhu 38, Sarojini Theru(Forumhub), T Nagar. Tfmpage is 28, Sarojini Theru, TNagar(Dharmathin Thalaivan aiyo-idhu-yenga-veedu-sir dialogue).

tvsankar
15th June 2005, 11:36 AM
oh Walrus
Indha pageum andha madhiri dhanaa? OK.Thank u for the info. :lol:
With LOve,
Usha Sankar.

rajasaranam
15th June 2005, 12:12 PM
Just to add to that, while nothing phenomenal might happen to women or the Zulus because we have discussed women's lib or Zulu supremacy in this Forum, I think it helps constantly re-evaluate our thinking and our approach to many things.

I dont see anybody including myself reevaluating their stands in these forums. As there is no personal interaction and we just type in whatever we think is right we will not be able to reevaluate our thoughts. If some reevaluation is done at all by Hubbers iam definite its being done outside these forums. If wat you say is true then show me one hubber changing his stand over any serious issue due to interaction in this forum. [dont show me some hubber accepting 'kathirikkai kaara kozhambu is better than sundaikkai vatha kozhambu' suggested by a fellow hubber :) ]

Iam speaking about real serious issues - socio-political-philosophical-cultural-metaphysical etc., no body will be ready to change their stand over these issues unless there be a personal interaction or atleast a more open minded forumhub where not every hour the mods come and delete some posts and request some hubbers to keep off the topic.
Well what HHHW says is true, and also apart from having fun some 'Arivujeevis come here to sorinjify their arippu' thats it
and i perfectly understood the weakness of this forum a few months back and stopped altogether posting or debating at all.[ except in IR-ARR forums which is addictive and irressitable for me :wink: ] If at all i post, i post whatever i think is right and keep off the topic and dont get into debates or discussions which is not going to lead anywhere.

Ok and if still you think this forumhub helps in 'constantly reevaluating' our/your thought process let you and other MODS be the first example of re-evaluating your stand over many of the issues and stop from being a dicatatorian/ moral policeman. Let hubbers post their views more openly and democratically :twisted:

Badri
15th June 2005, 12:44 PM
Rajasaranam: While you quoted me, you have failed to see what I have said!!!

I never said reevaluate our stand...only thinking and approach. It is sheer idiocy on anyone's part to expect something so non-personal as this forum to have an impact on a person's belief or stand on any number of things.

Even a kara kozhambu vs Vathakozhambu can start off a debate, with people refusing to give in!!

That being the case, to expect changes in people's idealogies or stand on any matter is wholly ridiculous!!

Let me repeat: It definitely helps us re-evaluate our approach to issues, our thinking style. I may have thought everyone in this world thinks Einstein is a genuis...but I would re-evaluate it, when I see someone call him a dunce (in their opinion) in the Forum. THat would not change my opinion of Einstein. It will, however, wake me up to the fact that there are more points of view than just my own.

This is exactly what I meant! Pity you had to interpret it wrongly and denounce it! Again, what I have stated here will not change your stand, but will definitely make you re-evaluate your own interpretation of my post.

I rest my case!! :wink:

I dont see anybody including myself reevaluating their stands in these forums. As there is no personal interaction and we just type in whatever we think is right we will not be able to reevaluate our thoughts. If some reevaluation is done at all by Hubbers iam definite its being done outside these forums. If wat you say is true then show me one hubber changing his stand over any serious issue due to interaction in this forum. [dont show me some hubber accepting 'kathirikkai kaara kozhambu is better than sundaikkai vatha kozhambu' suggested by a fellow hubber :) ]

Iam speaking about real serious issues - socio-political-philosophical-cultural-metaphysical etc., no body will be ready to change their stand over these issues unless there be a personal interaction or atleast a more open minded forumhub where not every hour the mods come and delete some posts and request some hubbers to keep off the topic.
Well what HHHW says is true, and also apart from having fun some 'Arivujeevis come here to sorinjify their arippu' thats it
and i perfectly understood the weakness of this forum a few months back and stopped altogether posting or debating at all.[ except in IR-ARR forums which is addictive and irressitable for me :wink: ] If at all i post, i post whatever i think is right and keep off the topic and dont get into debates or discussions which is not going to lead anywhere.

Ok and if still you think this forumhub helps in 'constantly reevaluating' our/your thought process let you and other MODS be the first example of re-evaluating your stand over many of the issues and stop from being a dicatatorian/ moral policeman. Let hubbers post their views more openly and democratically :twisted:

Badri
15th June 2005, 12:55 PM

The Constitution of India declares India is a democracy and asserts our Fundamental Rights...but there is also something called Directive Principles of State Policy, which govern the Fundamental Rights.

That is exactly how the Forum operates. While there are Fundmental Rights of Speech and Expression, they are governed by the Hub Policies, which are akin to the Directive Principles of State Policy. :wink:

NOV
15th June 2005, 02:02 PM
Ok and if still you think this forumhub helps in 'constantly reevaluating' our/your thought process let you and other MODS be the first example of re-evaluating your stand over many of the issues and stop from being a dicatatorian/ moral policeman. Let hubbers post their views more openly and democratically :twisted:ok, let's not get personal.

The subject here is discussion forums such as this, and not exclusively on The Hub. Hope you know the difference and do not use this as an exercise for axe-grinding purposes.

As Badri has rightfully said, we have a terms of reference on what is allowed and what is not allowed. Some body got to do the police-ing and naturally discussants, especially those affected by it - will not agree. We can live with that. Eppadiyum vaazhalaamnu irukku, ippadithaan vaazhanumnum irukku, we have chosen the latter.

So, please let the discussion carry on, without side tracking the issue any more.

Raghu
15th June 2005, 03:17 PM
[tscii:24f7469038][quote="r_kkDear R_KK

The intention of 'My Film Poster' thread is just for entertainment, pls pardon me if I am wrong, but none of the ...
Pls don't blame the youth, me being a youth have posted hell of lot philosophy according to my LIMITED KNOWLEDGE, now even here....[/tscii:24f7469038]

Dear Raghu,
I did/do not have any intendion to hurt you or blame any one specifically. I tried to use your thread as example to show the amount of time/type/effort put on gossiping such subjects.

I am not against joyful & healthy exchange of comments or discussion between men and women on casual issues. In fact healthy relationship and more openness in excahnging thoughts need to be welcomed. If hubbers would have discussed about your acting abilities after seeing your movies, then I also would have participated.

I understand that you might have put lot of sincire effort to reach such level in a competative entertainment field. I appreciate it, but please note that my arguments are against concepts, not about individuals. You might have noted that I also wrote against the concept of beauty and used "Ash.." as example. It doesn't mean that I am against such filrmstars who have lot of talents.

Dear R_KK

I am sorry, I just got a bit carried away :cry:

simplysimran
15th June 2005, 05:18 PM
I don't think this or any public hubs are a waste of time, I have learnt and I am sure many of you have learnt a lot from many healthy discussions.

But having a little fun to release our daily stress is no sin :)

Idiappam
15th June 2005, 07:52 PM
Yah! And it gives me a chance to show off my wares!

nirosha sen
15th June 2005, 08:35 PM
:lol: What Idiappam - You sound like Simple Simon, Pa!!

Idiappam
15th June 2005, 10:36 PM
Well, all those people here are here cos they get something out of this. For me, I get the pleased showing off my 'cleverness' - the 'I know all - you know nuts' feeling.

But the greatest pleasure I get is when I scold some of the hubbers - especially Surya. Let's draw him in here.

Big Problems have simple solutions - just scold!

hehehewalrus
15th June 2005, 10:47 PM
Simple Simon met a pieman
On his way to the fair
Said Simple Simon to the pieman,
"Let me taste your ware".
Said the pieman to Simple Simon,
"Show me first your penny".
Said Simple Simon to the pieman,
"Indeed, I havent any!"

Surya
15th June 2005, 11:03 PM

Surya,
You and HindustaniLadka have place of origin as US and left India for good close to a decade back. But you are very much concerned about how Indian white elephants like HAL/ISRO are functioning. So it's not clear whether you are in India or US.

Well,
I don't know about Hindustani Ladka, but my family here is strictly part of th floating poppulation here. Just here to make money, and after a good amout is made, back to Chennai! :D The truth is I can't stand America. The only way I can get by is by thinking this is temporary. I think I should be able to find a reasonably good job with a Phd in Business Administration from UC Berkely.

Idiappam,
Oh yes! I remember ur most preffered phrase whcih u just love to use on me, HL, and SRS! "Poda Naayi!" :rotfl: Which we conviently ignore, considering the fact that it's coming from ...... a deluded extremist, who thinks he an Idiappam! :mrgreen:
I've always thought that ur not worth anything but a :roll: so why bother yelling? :wink:

PS: :roll:

:lol2: I love this forum! :lol2:

hehehewalrus
16th June 2005, 04:19 AM
Iam speaking about real serious issues - socio-political-philosophical-cultural-metaphysical etc., no body will be ready to change their stand over these issues unless there be a personal interaction or atleast a more open minded forumhub where not every hour the mods come and delete some posts and request some hubbers to keep off the topic.....also apart from having fun some 'Arivujeevis come here to sorinjify their arippu' thats it
and i perfectly understood the weakness of this forum a few months back and stopped altogether posting or debating at all.

Perfectly correct!! :clap: :clap: In fact socio-political issues is the Frankenstein monster that destroyed the old hub. A forum like this becomes breeding ground where sick attitudes and mentalities develop. Honestly, I wish some of the hubbers here or their mentalities are never exhibited in a group or team I am involved with in the real world, they are a DEADLY CANCER to team spirit and harmonious brotherhood. Wonder how they treat their neighbors or work-colleagues who think differently from them. Thats why I like to patronise threads with a common platform like "Childhood incidents", "Spooky incidents", "Games", etc where people learn to identify the common longings/interests among themselves - not the pseudo-intellectual topics which are addressed with hidden agendas in mind.

On a less serious note but very REALISTIC note, its not like every fellow in here is from the Taliban throwing acid on non-purdah women, a serial killer or a rapist, or a Premananda, or a Sukh Ram, 21st century life is challenging and hectic enough, we have our own problems. All these Evolution-Creation arguments are quite stupid, why dont all these individuals with their BRILLIANT ideas and theories go and make disciples and followers out of their own family relations 100%(who themselves will have conflicting personal beliefs) instead of firing away at innocent bystanders in cyberspace who lead a simple life without disturbing anyone in cyberworld or real world?

tvsankar
16th June 2005, 10:01 AM
Aruvujivis sorinjinfying nu ninaikaravanga ellam humble a aduthavanga pechai kettutu accept panrangala?
Yarum avanga avangaluku therinjadhai sollanam nu ninaipanga!!
Adhu dhan manidha Iyalbu.
Adhai engae ,eppadi, yarai ,edharku solgirom enru yosithal konjam nanraga irukum.Thats all!!!
Actualy,yaravadhu , kodutha topic la vishayam theirndhu irundhal solla varuvanga.Appodhu porumaiyaga enna solla varar nu parkanam..Avar thavaraga entry anal avaruku eduthu sollalam.This is the place not for u nu.Simple.No prob.
Indha 5 pageil ethanaiyo per ethanai vidhama indha topic patrina opinion solli irukanga. OK!!!
/Naan onru solli kolla asai padugiraen.Indha foruthil edhavadhu yaravadhu edhaiyavadhu solla vandhal,dhayavu seidhu avanga avanga level best ku vishayam therindhu kondu vanga.Appodhu dhan solla vandhavar enna solla varar nu puriyum.Appodhu indha arivujivi sorinjfying nu oru feelings varadhu.Because nengalum konjam knowledge oda varum podhu ungaluku ippadi thonadhu.Enaku arivu kedaiyadhu.Anal yaravadhu nalla vishayam solla vandhal namum adhai therindhu kondu pesalam enra ennam dhan varum.Iallaienral indha forum thu ku vandhu ippadi type pannidu iruka mataen. Try to understand what is discussion and how to discuss!!!!!!
Opinion sollum freedom ellarkum irukiradhu.Eppodhu? Kodutha topic ku related aga pesum podhum, or adhai edhirpadharkum!!!!
Ippodhum naan indha page il unga ellarudiaya postum padithu vittu than, kodutha topic ai patri unmaiyaga yosithu solla vandhu irukiraen.Ippodhum ennai edhavadhu solvadharku munn, en varthaigalil unmai edhavadhu irukiradha enru yosithu vittu pesungal.
Nammudaiya seyalgal dhan nam yar enru matravarku adaiyalam kaatum!!!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

krishnan
16th June 2005, 09:12 PM
Good post Rajasaranam.

There is an old Chinese saying which carries the meaning that "It is easier to reshape a mountain or a river than a person's character." HL will always be a HL and Idiappam will always remain an idiappam and krishnan asusual will be typing this from some Mental Hospital, no matter whatever you try to change them unless they are 3 year olds.

It is not easy to change. Thus, having high expectation on changing faceless forum members character will cause disappointment and unpleasantness.

It would be less painful to if we lower our expectations..

Also one should'nt bother too much about criticism nor praise in a public forum. Just keep writing whatever you feel and please keep in mind that it's a public forum and not a public toilet, and please be aware that whatever you write different people will tend to have different perception of your writing. One man's meat could be another man's poison.The following story comes to my mind

A couple bought a donkey from the market. On the way home,a boy commented, "Very stupid. Why neither of them ride
on the donkey?"Upon hearing that, the husband let the wife ride on the donkey. He walked besides them. Later, an old man saw it and commented, "The husband is the head of family. How can the wife ride on the donkey while the husband is on foot?" Hearing this, the wife quickly got down and let the husband ride on the donkey.

Further on the way home, they met an old Lady. She commented, "How can the man ride on the donkey but let the wife walk. He is no gentleman." The husband thus quickly asked the wife to join him on the donkey. Then, they met a young man. He commented, "Poor donkey, how can you hold up the weight of two persons. They are cruel to you." Hearing that, the husband and wife immediately climbed down from the donkey and carried it on their shoulders.

It seems to be the only choice left. Later, on a narrow bridge, the donkey was frightened and struggled. They lost their balance and fell into the river.

Moral of the Story.

You can never have everyone praise you, nor will everyone condemn you. Never in the past, not at present, and never will be in the future. So get enlightened. Raise above all these attachments. Love all. Oh wait a min. Am I not doing exactly opposite to what I am trying to preach about not to preach others? Remember I said it's easier to reshape a mountain or a river than a person's character even if it's of your own. :D

pavalamani pragasam
16th June 2005, 09:18 PM
This donkey story , slightly different in minor details, is my favourite moral story whenever I want to stress that one cant please everybody. :)

krishnan
17th June 2005, 02:06 AM
This donkey story , slightly different in minor details, is my favourite moral story whenever I want to stress that one cant please everybody. :)

I think this story is usually for couples for enhancing relationships. Is'nt?

suressh
18th June 2005, 04:27 PM

hey... i dont understand why such a doubt at this juncture. undoubtedly forum is very good and informative for me like people ie., i pick up atleast 50% of the information that are spreaded all over in this place.

of course, there are some dirt somewhere here and there, but tell me an alternative place where there is no dirt at all. all i have to do is not to stamp on the dirt. simple. purely subjective...

Shekhar
19th June 2005, 08:00 AM
Whether it is a waste of time or not depends upon my approach to the hub and what I am looking for in a thread.
I cannot sit in a science symposium and look for entertainment. I should not sit in a movie theatre and expect to be enlightened. And in FH you have both! Perhaps that makes the hub worth the visit.

Rohit
19th June 2005, 04:16 PM
I cannot sit in a science symposium and look for entertainment. I should not sit in a movie theatre and expect to be enlightened.Shekhar has said it all using categorical analogies of science-entertainment and movie-enlightenment.

Irrespective of the differing views presented, forum is a forum whether public or private. For all intensive purposes, it offers an ideal platform to all for expressing their differing views and perspectives.

Therefore, a cautious participation in FH, either as an active poster or as a passive reader, must yield something useful to all, depending on individual’s disposition, approach and aptitude. :)

Rohit
21st June 2005, 01:22 AM
Being social animals, human nature is to interact with one another and share or discuss what they have learnt and known through their experiences, training, explorations, studies and sometimes, through abstract thinking and experimentation. Such interactions vary diversely, from all aspects of real life issues, like social, gender issues, individual and group behaviours, human tendencies, language, art, music, literature, fashion, hobbies, personal relationships, group relationships, psychological issues to the more complex issues like political issues, religion, culture, philosophy, nature, environment, science and countless other issues.

Normally, such interactions on such issues take place between two or more entities like friends, couples, family members, between families, partners, groups, institutes, societies and between civilisations. In general, it involves two or more distinct bodies, either personal or institutional.

Most interactions happen informally, on casual basis. However, some interactions do take place on formal basis when the validity of individuals’ prepositions and statements, allegations, claims etc. become under the scrutiny of a larger audience. At this stage, things do get involved in terms of individual’s or group’s ability to present their views more effectively.

In all cases, the final outcome of one's views, without failure, would depend on the degree of fidelity one holds towards the views of others. However, as it is impossible for everyone to formulate and hold the same views on given subject matters, the degree of fidelity that each individul or group holds towards the views of others would tend to vary anywhere between two extremes, one being completely negative while the other being completely positive. Both extreme degrees of fidelity would generally tend to be the result of one’s bias, either against or in support of others’ views, more likely to have been driven by emotionally charged, individual or group sentiments.

Though there are infinite numbers of situations that would be created by the varying degree of fidelity towards one another's views, there are five special cases one would observe while participating in various debates and topics raised in this FH, which includes this topic as well.

1. For those who hold completely negative degree of fidelity towards others’ views, face completely fruitless outcomes even when others hold either neutral or completely positive degree of fidelity towards their views.

2. For those who hold completely negative degree of fidelity towards each other’s views, face hung situations; where, an absolute acceptability of either view would remain highly uncertain even when one of them would be absolutely valid and true.

3. For those who hold an absolute neutral degree of fidelity towards other’s views, i.e. those who do not get easily biased and have ability to form their own, independent and impartial views, yield 100% effective outcomes, irrespective of the degree of fidelity shown by others.

4. For those who hold completely positive degree of fidelity towards other’s views, end up with favourable outcomes for themselves even when they face either neutral or completely negative degree of fidelity from others. However, their views may or may not be valid and/or rational.

5. For those who hold completely positive degree of fidelity towards other’s views and in return, receive similar positive degree of fidelity from others, end up in formulating ecstatic or exhilarated views on the subject matters, which may or may not be valid and/or rational.

I am sure, many would like to agree or disagree with my above analysis depending on the development of corresponding positive or negative degree of fidelity. However, the analysis carries no bias whatsoever and thus, it is absolutely neutral towards all such views, including the views of those, who hold absolutely neutral degree of fidelity.

Thanks! :)

blahblah
21st June 2005, 10:57 AM
Public foums-a waste of time???????

But I thought we are here to waste some time! :o :D

Shekhar
21st June 2005, 12:56 PM
Ha! you said it!! :)

a.ratchasi
21st June 2005, 01:20 PM
Public foums-a waste of time???????

But I thought we are here to waste some time

he he he

hehehewalrus
29th June 2005, 08:05 PM
Since I have now received 2 questions about my new avatar(and more is to be expected), i will explain here: my first avtar stood for the initial state of new forumhub and current avtar stands for current state of forumhub :D

NM
29th June 2005, 08:07 PM
Since I have now received 2 questions about my new avatar(and more is to be expected), i will explain here: my first avtar stood for the initial state of new forumhub and current avtar stands for current state of forumhub :D
Hmmm...walrus, where did you get that?? :D :D Are there many others?? :wink: :wink:

hehehewalrus
29th June 2005, 08:46 PM
NM i was trying for that from the very beginning but the size exceeded 8KB. I was lucky to get this though i prefer the front view to the side view :)

Rohit
11th July 2005, 11:39 PM
[tscii:5602eeb159]Dear moderators,

As, for whatever reasons, the original thread on the topic seems to have been removed, please forgive me to use this thread instead for an obvious purpose. :)

I am really glad to inform all our hubber friends but, at the same time, I am extremely sorry to disappoint all our believer friends by announcing that, like most non-believers/atheists in the eyes of perpetrators, I too have survived Thursday’s London bomb blasts, completely unharmed, despite my presence in London on that very day.

[/tscii:5602eeb159]

stranger
12th July 2005, 04:49 AM
[tscii:db16f72ab6]
I am really glad to inform all our hubber friends but, at the same time, I am extremely sorry to disappoint all our believer friends by announcing that, like most non-believers/atheists in the eyes of perpetrators, I too have survived Thursday’s London bomb blasts, completely unharmed, despite my presence in London on that very day.

Oh, Rohit! You just missed your chance to meet with the God! :lol:

You know, we can afford to lose a God as there are so many, but not a unique Rohit! :thumbsup:

I am glad u r safe and sound, my friend. :)
[/tscii:db16f72ab6]

hehehewalrus
12th July 2005, 06:47 AM
Rohit,
I am very happy to see you alive, and doubly happy to see your trademark symbol ---> :notworthy:
Should I offer a free ride on the apocryphal bike? ;)

Rohit
12th July 2005, 11:33 PM
I am glad u r safe and sound, my friend.

Rohit,
I am very happy to see you alive.
Thank you both for greeting my survival. :D

Should I offer a free ride on the apocryphal bike?
Thanks for an excellent offer HHW, but no thanks as, I really don’t want you to loose your reputation of a person who wouldn’t offer a bike without validating its existence, while offering greetings is an entirely different matter altogether. :)

In fact, I would be more pleased if you hang onto “that” for the time being for your tremendous efforts in stitching so many “threads” without using a single thread. Wonderful indeed! :wink: :)

hehehewalrus
13th July 2005, 12:06 AM
Rohit,

The best thing about you being alive is that you didnt give us the opportunity to use your favorite symbol --- :wave: --- on you.

But I am disappointed that the bike doesnt interest you :(

Should I borrow your penpal Pradheep's wish horse for a day and gift it to you? :D

Rohit
13th July 2005, 12:41 AM
Rohit,
The best thing about you being alive is that you didnt give us the opportunity to use your favorite symbol --- :wave: --- on you.
HHW, if you haven’t figured it out yet, there are many judicious and esteemed ways to use that symbol than to use it against me in such a far lesser equitable fashion. But I do honestly respect your wish, which you can, by all means, convert into a horse, provided my so-referred penpal permits you to use his non-existent horse as your wish target for the conversion. :wink: :D

I am really sorry to disappoint you, but like I said, I really don’t want you to loose your hard-earned reputation; and that's my prime concern, no matter how hard it feels to you to be disappointed. :)

Raghu
13th July 2005, 01:00 AM
[tscii:fbb4fdf54b]

Rohit,
HHW, if you haven’t figured it out yet, there are many judicious and esteemed ways to use that symbol than to use it against me in such a far lesser equitable fashion. But I do honestly respect your wish, which you can, by all means, convert into a horse, provided my so-referred penpal permits you to use his non-existent horse as your wish target for the conversion. :wink: :D

I am really sorry to disappoint you, but like I said, I really don’t want you to loose your hard-earned reputation; and that's my prime concern, no matter how hard it feels to you to be disappointed. :)

Hey Rohit, I never knew u were from london :shock: , any way I am glad u and ur family are safe and fine :) [/tscii:fbb4fdf54b]

Rohit
13th July 2005, 01:12 AM
Hi Raghu,

How are you, your family members, your loved ones and the last but not the least, your film crewmembers? I am really glad to read your greetings, which obviously and expressively conveys me that you are well.

Thanks!

Raghu
13th July 2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Raghu,

How are you, your family members, your loved ones and the last but not the least, your film crewmembers? I am really glad to read your greetings, which obviously and expressively conveys me that you are well.

Thanks!

Rohit ji

We are all fine, still terrified of Travelling :( any way, there is worry on every ones face?, Oxford street used to be like tokyo, now hardly any one there :(

r_kk
14th July 2005, 12:54 PM
[tscii:e0346bdd8a]Even though, my post was used as the starting point to start this discussion, I tried to avoid putting my views till this thread reaches its saturation limit of arguments.

I personally feel, based on nearly 8 months of my presence in this forum, I can say, this forum had given me few interesting thoughts and shaped/altered my thinking process significantly. I came across only less numbers of great posts out of many useless posts (based on my interest), but those posts are enough to make me satisfactory. I might not have come across following fresh and interesting thoughts, if I hadn’t spent time in this forum.

1. Rajasaranam’s poem, which provide counter arguments to Kaviko’s poem http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=97&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=425
2. Ramragav’s approach to verify the historical background of Mahabharatha through Tamil literature http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2812&start=433
3. A_ratcashi’s view about women’s freedom http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3786&start=7
4. Rohit’s logical way of explaining things http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=369&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=561
5. Geno’s posts on history of Tamil’s early political movements http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2060&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=138

Some firm believers like just_hubber and an another friend, who had made strong arguments against my thoughts and showed the weakness/impractical applicability of my posts to general public, due to lack of real life evidences/on hand experiences/detailed study of alternative views, forced/forcing me to collect evidences. Their contradicting views only made me to collect real life evidences (contacting lot of organizations, News agencies, victims of supernatural acts and performers who can do similar tricks without the help of supernatural powers) to validate my views and spend my spare time usefully on compiling articles in better/organsized way. Indirectly the opponent views made my sword sharp and concentrate my energy to work more constructively.

From all the above experiences, I can certainly say, this forum made significant impacts to my thoughts. I hope any person who is not very rigid in his thoughts/beliefs; the alternate views provided by other members will be really helpful. For any open minded (even little bit) person, spending time here is not waste….

Even though, the regular members who often visit this forum are limited, the entire articles are available to any one in the first few pages of results of any famous search engines (I landed here like that only). That makes a hope that one day or another, your views will help another one person to understand the world in better perspective or at least know the alternate perspective.

[/tscii:e0346bdd8a]

rajasaranam
17th July 2005, 12:15 AM
r_kk,

Whew... Iam happy that i've done something thought provoking for you. I feel very happy at this moment for my poem to make us meet virtually in this cyberspace :). Well look at ur PM.