View Full Version : Vazhakkai recipes

hehehewalrus
28th June 2005, 10:19 PM
Pls share tasty vazhakkai recipes here

Thiru
28th June 2005, 10:27 PM
vazhakkai bajji...

peel off the outer skin of vaazhkkai..
make a thick paste out of besan flour with water, salt and some chilli powder...
slice the vaazhakkai into thin fillets..
soak it in the paste and fry it in oil...

You get tasty vaazhakkai bajji.. have it with coconut chutney or pudhina chutney

hehehewalrus
28th June 2005, 10:54 PM
thanks. Pls give some poriyal dishes also. Are there any curries where vazhakka can be added?

(what is the english name for pudhina?)

Thiru
28th June 2005, 10:56 PM
pudhina - mint leaves..

Sowmya
28th June 2005, 10:57 PM
Hi hehewalrus
Pudina is called "Mint" in english.Will collect the vazhakkai recipes I have and PM it you.

Regards
Sowmya

hehehewalrus
28th June 2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks sowmya. If its not too big, pls post them here as my pm inbox fills quickly.

Tharuna
29th June 2005, 04:35 AM
vazakkai podimas
ingredients:
vazhakkai 2, green chillies 2-3,coconut grated (2 or 3 tbsp )lemon juice
seasoning: mustard,urad dal,channa dal
boil the vazhakkai with the skin(pressure cook or microwave) so that the skin comes off easily. peel the skin and cut it into small pieces. add some lemonon the vazakkai. In a kadai, add oil and seasoning items, green chillies and then vazakkai. Before removing from kadai, add the coconut. add coriander leaves if interested.

Tharuna
29th June 2005, 04:46 AM
vazhakkai varuval:
peel the skin of the vazhakkai and cut it into thin slices
add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder,little water to the pieces and set it aside for half an hour or so.
In a kadai, add some oil, sombu, garlic and the vazhakkai pieces.
fry till golden brown.

tomato
29th June 2005, 09:13 AM
What is vazhakkai?

honeydew
29th June 2005, 09:27 AM
hello tomato,
vazhakkai is raw banana.

honeydew
29th June 2005, 09:28 AM
hello tomato,
vazhakkai is raw banana.

nirosha sen
29th June 2005, 05:34 PM
Guys - 1st of all, there are umpteen varieties of bananas, Pa!! So, question is, are they all suited for cooking????

It's no great big culinary conundrum of course, but still it's my sen worth!! :D

Kz
29th June 2005, 08:19 PM
The green cooking banana or plantain is only used for cooking, if it turns yellow, more banana like then it will be sweetish and doesnot taste good. but here in some shops we also get the bananas which are raw but this is not good for cooking or tasty.

the cooking banana has thick skin and fat and short when compared the fruit banana.u get these in patel and subzi mandi.
Kz

Kz
29th June 2005, 08:26 PM
Vazhakkai kola urundai:

Boil 1 or 2 vazhakkai( peeled and cut into cubes) in water with little salt and keep aside.

2 tsp grated coconut
1/2 tsp aniseed( sombu)
1/2 tsp jeera
1 tsp chana dhal( kadalai paruppu)
3 pods of garlic
1or 2 green chilli
1/2 medium size onion chopped

Saute all these ingredients in little oil and cool, then grind it .
add mashed vazhakkai to this paste, mix well and make patties or round balls and deep fry them in oil.

I have fried them and the taste was good. u can also try shallow frying them by making patties, like cutlets. though i have not tried the shallow fry method.

Kz

Sowmya
30th June 2005, 05:27 PM
Hello hehehewalrus
I am reposting a different type of vazhakkai curry(kerala style) recipe from palakkad recipes thread.
Please give it a try and let me know.

Regards
Sowmya :D

Puliya Kuthi Upperi
Ingredients:
Raw plantain -1 (big)
brinjals -2-3
tamarind -lemon size ball (make an extract)
raw rice-1 tbsp
dry red chillies-4-5 (acc to taste)
fenugreek-1/4 tsp
urad dhal-2tsp

Cut the veg into thin long pieces as for aviyal.
2.Boil in tamarind extract with turmeric and salt till well cooked. The tamarind water should be just sufficient to soak the cut pieces. Add the raw plantain first and add brinjals a little later
cos brinjal cooks faster.This is to ensure uniform cooking of all ingredients.And after the vegs are cooked ,very little watery portion should be there.
Dry fry (without oil)raw rice, red chillies ,urad dhal and fenugreek .Make a powder of the same.
Take some oil and splutter mustard and urad dal. Put mixture of the boiled vegetables and the powder and stir till it becomes semi solid.

variation: I use raw plantain alone at times.. and the final upperi is a drier version.

gvb
30th June 2005, 07:42 PM
Hi KZ,
Can u tell me how will the final taste be like for the Vazhakai Urundai?Will it be cripsy or soft?

GVB

Kz
30th June 2005, 08:48 PM
Hi GVB,
It will be crispy outside and soft inside if u deep fry. the outer will be brownish colour. if u have tried mutton kola urundai it will be almost similar to it. keep the flame in medium and fry it for better results.

Kz

gvb
1st July 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi Kz,
I have made potato vermicilli Pakoda which is also comes out the same way u have described.Thanx for ur reply.I understand now.

GVB

Kz
1st July 2005, 03:50 AM
Hi GVB,
How do u do potato vermicelli pakoda? pls do post the recipe.
Kz

gvb
1st July 2005, 04:17 AM
Hi KZ this is Mallika Badrinath's recipe.
Vermicilli Pakodas

Onions-3
Vermicilli-1 cup
Cooke potato-1
Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
G.chillies-6
Salt
Besan flour -1/4 cup
Rice flour-1 tbsp
Chopped corriander leaves-1 tbsp
Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Mint leaves ,cashew nuts optional
Oil

Method
1.Slice onions and chillies lengthwise.
2.Roast vermicilli till golden.Pour hot water and cook till soft.
3.Drain water well.Add litle more cold water and drain well thru colander.
4.Mash the potatoes.
5.Mix with vermicilli and other ingredients.(Do not add water)
6.Add a tbsp of hot oil and mix lightly.
7.Deep fry in hot oil like any other pakodas.

The outside will be covered by vermicilli bits.so it will be crunchy and it tastes really good too.I took a big ball and made them like Bondas so that they will have a nice shape.

GVB

Kz
1st July 2005, 07:51 AM
Hi GVB,
Thanks for the recipe, will try it and let u know how it comes.
Bye,
Kz

Kz
1st July 2005, 08:59 PM
Hi GVB,
I have some doubts, do i have to saute the onions and green chillies? or just add directly to the potato mixture.
Kz

hehehewalrus
5th July 2005, 06:34 PM
Please keep non vazhakkai discussions out of this thread!!!

I tried vazhakkai poriyal this weekend and it came out all tasty and nice. Will be cooking it frequently. Thanks a lot tharuma and Sowmya :D