PDA

View Full Version : Sindhi Kadhi Chawal

foodlover123
2nd July 2005, 12:40 AM
Does anyone know the recipe for Sindhi Kadhi?

BKJIGNA
26th July 2005, 12:15 PM
Dear foodlover

Sorry I have been thinking of posting recipe for u but was unable to do so.. this is my first attempt to post a recipe so i might have missed something to explain please do not hesitate to clarify your doubts regarding the recipe

Sindhi kadi
Ingredients:
5 tbsps gram flour
chick peas, Black eye beans, mung whole 1tbsp each
(add all three or two or none, no hard and fast rule but I add more of it since its healthy to have whole beans)
10-12 lady fingers, slit, not cut
1 drumstick cut into finger size pieces
I potato cut into medium size pieces
10-12 cluster beans, chop ends
2-3 pcs of Yam
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
5 tbsps cooking oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
A few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 whole red chillies
2-3 green chillies, slit in centre
8 glasses of water
Tamarind (or 6-7 kokum)
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
Salt to taste

Procedure:
Mix gram flour in one glass of water properly.

Now heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed vessel for a few minutes fry lady fingers till it is little tender and then take it out.

Now in that same oil add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida powder, ginger and the green and red chillies. Fry for a minute.

Add whole beans and vegetables (can be added more or less than qty mentioned in ingredients) fry for few minutes.

Add gram flour mixed in water to it . Add more water. (at this stage it will be watery but after boiling it will become thick)

Add salt, turmeric, curry leaves and boil. Let it boil on a low flame for an hour and a half till the vegetables are well cooked and have absorbed the flavour of the spice. (boiling time is more in the curry. it is said curry will be tasty if it is boiled properly on slow flame)

When Vegetables are half cooked add fried lady fingers.

In the meantime soak tamarind in luke warm and extract pulp.

Once vegetables are cooked add tamarind water to the curry (or you can add kokam also )

Add some sugar as per your taste. (if u want avoid sugar at this stage and mostly in our home we add sugar in indivdual bowl as per individual taste)

Serve the curry piping hot.

Sindhi Kadi is generally served with good quality basmati rice sprinkled with shahi jeera and accompanied also by tuk (flattened potato cake) and sweet boondi.

Best of luck
jigna