PDA

View Full Version : How should India React?

ssanjinika
12th July 2005, 07:40 PM
Hey I just came across this debate and thought it would be a good topic to debate on in our forum.
Please tell your views on how India should react to the revelations without being too degratory if possible :P

"It is well known that former US president Richard Nixon and Kissinger had a poor opinion of Indians and of then prime minister Indira Gandhi in particular and recent documents revealed by the US show just how deep the antipathy ran.

Kissinger referred to Indira as 'a bitch' shortly after her visit to the US, just ahead of the 1971 Indo-Pak crisis.

Should India ingore these revelations, or factor them into the intense attempts to nurture a strategic partnership with the US? What stand should India adopt?"

j.chenkalvarayan
12th July 2005, 07:47 PM
madam,.
at least , us universities have high opinion about indian students. that's enough for me.

Kaaththaadi
12th July 2005, 07:54 PM
I recently heard/read somewhere that ther was an excuse/appolgy about this matter.
It had always been noble not to react to such utterances. India is great, isn't it?

hehehewalrus
12th July 2005, 08:07 PM
Idhoda, 1971 yevano ennamo sonnadhukku 1,000,000,000 per ippa enna seyyanum-nu debate-aam!!!!!

tamashu, tamashu!

Uthappam
12th July 2005, 09:53 PM
madam,.
at least , us universities have high opinion about indian students. that's enough for me.

Well! Was that the opinion the universities had during Mrs Ghandi rule?? No!

Kissinger, Kissinger, Kissinger! Why did you say that! YOu knew something?

Kissi puduven Kissi! Vaduva. Solluratha theliva sollu naina!

stranger
12th July 2005, 10:24 PM
"It is well known that former US president Richard Nixon and Kissinger had a poor opinion of Indians and of then prime minister Indira Gandhi in particular and recent documents revealed by the US show just how deep the antipathy ran.

Kissinger referred to Indira as 'a bitch' shortly after her visit to the US, just ahead of the 1971 Indo-Pak crisis. "

You take things too "personally". This is part of the "business". Forgive and forget, is the filthy motto one should follow to be successful in the modern earth.

You have to let some things go unnoticed to survive in the "modern civilized world".

BTW, How old are you? 8)

ssanjinika
12th July 2005, 10:32 PM
Hey the lines within quote in my post are from the article i came across on rediff not my views :lol: :lol: :lol:

I couldnt care less what some body said about some other body else.
I just thought it would be a good topic for discussion :D .

Anyways Im 26...what does that have todo with anything?

stranger
12th July 2005, 10:39 PM
You dont have to answer for that "age part"! :rotfl:

rajraj
12th July 2005, 10:54 PM
madam,.

JC: It is not as high as it used to be. :(

Nerd
13th July 2005, 12:05 AM
madam,.

JC: It is not as high as it used to be. :(

Yes, Exactly :D now the profs are inclined towards chinese students because they work hard! am not gonna explain more coz this is not relevant to the topic!

MADDY
13th July 2005, 01:03 AM
Namba solla mudiyathadha kissinger sollitaru :lol: .....

hey to be on the serious side, i think we shuld forget it as it happened 35 yrs ago...now US-India relationships are on a high so y spoil it????

35 varshum munnadi sonnadha vechikittu pagai vechikiruthakku naamba enna graamathu nattamaiya??? :D

hehehewalrus
13th July 2005, 01:52 AM
Maddy,
welcome to these forums :)
By the by, are you referring to the Nattamai who posted in ARR threads? :mrgreen:

MADDY
13th July 2005, 03:50 AM
thnx for welcoming me HHW....no way i was not referring to Nattamai..... :D i was referring to pan-spitting real nattamais.....

hehehewalrus
13th July 2005, 07:59 PM
Maddy,
indha threadla theerpu sollalaam variya? bring 2 other friends with u :mrgreen:

soccer_gal
15th July 2005, 11:50 PM
Richard Nixon was just jealous of Indira Gandhi.
It's highly possible, he was one of those men who thought women shouldn't be part of politics.
Enough said!

It's funny how they must bring up these documents now. I believe there was an incident before, how they didn't give a VISA to a politican or someone from India or something.

btw: He also called Indira Gandhi, an old witch or something to that sort.

hehehewalrus
16th July 2005, 12:17 AM
richard nixon is a bad dude. what did he call u, soccer_gal? :)

blahblah
16th July 2005, 02:20 PM
Richard Nixon was just jealous of Indira Gandhi.
It's highly possible, he was one of those men who thought women shouldn't be part of politics.
Enough said!

It's funny how they must bring up these documents now. I believe there was an incident before, how they didn't give a VISA to a politican or someone from India or something.

:banghead: :lol2:

US state department periodically declassify certain documents which have lost its relevance.
These sort of matters are not decided by jealousy or petty emotions.The whole matter should be seen in the context of the cold war.

The US feared that it will look funny if the Indians get away 'licking' the Pakistanis who were allies of US.They again feared that Indians have the intention of destryoying the military assets of Pakistan and to occupy West Pakistan.Anyway it is a matter of the past.Kissinger himself expressed regret about his remarks and is one of the greatest advocates of Indo-American friendship today.

I believe half the people who speak here do not have the patience to go through the original transcripts.If you want to see it all in the original context,log on to:
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/nixon/e7/48529.htm

And,I have heard that Nixon used to drink heavily,but do not know whether he had anything against women joining politics.It is very likely then that he would have taken a different view of Indians if we had a male Prime Minister at that time :lol: .

soccer_gal
17th July 2005, 10:59 PM
la la la and India were allies with USSR! :roll:

alwarpet_andavan
18th July 2005, 02:14 PM
We shouldn't be surprised at all to find such remarks made by U.S statesmen. This is very consistent with U.S state policy and the thing to be remembered here is not the remarks per se, but rather U.S foreign policy in general and the stand taken by them in the East Pakistan war. In this context, Kissinger's apologies can be well left outside the off-stump.
Inspite of overwhelming evidence pointing to Pakistan as the agressor and the genocide being committed, the U.S released statements issuing direct support of Pakistan and even saying that India was to be wholly blamed.
It would be incredibly naive to assume that this was a "mistake" on the part of the U.S. In fact, the U.S always knew (and they still do) what Pakistan (and the rest of the world) are upto, they just select and prioritize their goals so as to further their geo-political and economic interests. Of course they know Pakistan is a hot-bed of terrorist schooling - the U.S were the pioneers in starting it, its just that at present they need to look the other way because of the obvious strategic importance of having Pakistan as an ally.

In short, our reaction should not be of surprise, but instead it should be the "see, i told you" type. One thing good, however, of the U.S is they declassify documents and papers after about 3 decades which is not done in India.
You might want to look at these.....
http://www.counterpunch.org
http://www.counterpunch.org/links.html