PDA

View Full Version : Indian Vegetable Gardening

aathirai1
15th July 2005, 01:21 AM
Please share indian vegetable gardening tips and ideas in this thread.

Niranjana
15th July 2005, 02:22 PM
First of all, where do u stay?
Because Vegetable Gardening depends a lot on the area(soil) you stay.

Suja Rajkumar
15th July 2005, 04:08 PM
Aathirai,
If you need Indian vegetable seeds, check out this web-site. http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergreenseeds/vegetableseeds.html. Happy gardening!

Suja

vm
15th July 2005, 10:07 PM
try seedsofindia.com or pm our friend Ms. Idiappam

svasu_ani
16th July 2005, 10:49 PM
any online website for buying indian jasmine plants??

deepali128
16th July 2005, 11:43 PM
Hi friends,

i am planning to plant a "tulsi" (basil) in a pot. i am living in Minneapolis. where shall i buy a basil plant and of which species.
thanx in advance.

Deepali

MysoreHudugi
17th July 2005, 12:33 AM
I have found these in Home Depot. I had two to three of them when we were in Houston. It grows very well in hot weather. It used to flower very well.

Check in your local Home Depot. I don't remember what the name was though.

CI.

Idiappam
20th July 2005, 08:59 PM
Types of Thulasi

Hi friends,
i am planning to plant a "tulsi" (basil) in a pot. i am living in Minneapolis. where shall i buy a basil plant and of which species.

Basils - there are a number of species - consisting of more than 50 varieties amoung them! Family - Labiatae

Tulsi (or Thulasi) - Holy basil ... Ocimum sanctum
--- The black (Krishna thulasi or karunthulasi) and the green (rama thulasi or venthulasi) varieties

Thiruneetru pachai or Siva Thulasi (in Tamil) .... Sweet basil ... Ocimum basilicum .... the common popular one, purple stemed and blooms, with a strong medicinal scent ...

Other varieties of O. Basilicum - the green variety used in western cooking.
Lemon Basil (sometimes called O. grattissimum)- leaves having lemon smell... elumicham thulasi in Tamil.

Karpoora thulasi (with the smell of camphor) and few others having different scent are classified as varieties of O. Basilicum.

Others
kanchang kOrai - Ocimum album
mul thulasi - Ocimum hispida
saaNaaki - Ocimum polystachyum
nila thulasi - Ocimum prostratum
suNai thulas - Ocimum villosum
sen thulasi - Ocimum violacecum

deepali128
20th July 2005, 09:57 PM
thanx idappam :D

Kz
21st July 2005, 04:56 AM
Great thread! did any one try growing bittergourd, podalankai and peerkangai? i tried pavakkai but the seedling died within few days inside the house.

Kz

aathirai1
21st July 2005, 07:51 PM
Hi Niranjana:

I live in New York. If you have any suggestions to new york residents please share it with us in this thread.

KZ

I planted Pavakkai couple of times. Five years ago I got totally five pavakkais. next two years I planted and had to go to India. I had some body watering my garden but no body to take care of my plants. so no yield. this year i planted some and i see the buds. I will let you know if I get any thing.

Aathirai

tastemakers
21st July 2005, 10:53 PM
Any idea where we can get Tulsi in Boston or Connecticut

PRiya

aathirai1
21st July 2005, 11:28 PM
Check with your local Hindu temple. I got mine from Bridge water temple.
Aathirai

Anoushka
22nd July 2005, 08:01 PM
Good Thread :)

Aathirai, I live in Ireland though it does get cold in winter the temperature never really goes down below -5 or goes up beyond 25-26 deg C!

I generally grow mustard, fenugreek (Vendhayam), mint, corriander, etc. - easy to grow varieties

I've planted pavakkai, peerkangai, vendaikai, melon, tomato, chilli, pumpkin (again easy to grow), keerai varieties including manathakali and pulicha keerai, lettuce, basil (the herb variety), onion and garlic!

Mint died during last winter and came up by itself this summer. I've heard that mint is like a weed and takes over the garden if you leave it on the ground! Manathakali keeri sort of went dull but is still alive and back to it's normal self now.

Green chillies are easy to grow in the window box.

I've found that it is easy to put the seeds in a pot and leave it in the green house in March and then plant it in the ground in April when the weather is better (if required still use the green house around it)

I had beetroot, lettuce, Spinach, broad beans and cabbage last year as well.

If you have loads of space in your garden, decide what plants you want to plant in what area. Dig it well in September, turn the soil over, add compost and turn it over again before adding the seeds or plants.

Don't over crowd the garden, leave ample space and water them regulary. Add compost and plant food regularly as well.

If you are growing in pots, change compost on a regular basis!

As for flowers I have balsam, andhi mandharai, jaathi malli, shoe flower, etc.

Andhi mandharai and balsam seem to grow well in summer, I have left them outside on the ground though! They come up quite easily :) Jaathi malli is outside and if you water it well and add enough plant food it blooms very well. My shoe flower plant nearly died last year because I left it outside, but it seems to have come back up though!

PS: My Tulsi grows very well indoors :)

R
22nd July 2005, 08:17 PM
Wow, Anoushka..you have a very good interest in gardening.

I planted pumpkin and came out nicely, but all of a sudden, the growth is becoming dull! Can u tell me why?

I put plant food once in a week and the temperature is also like in 90s and water regularly. Where did I go wrong?

Abt onion, I have some and which is the right time to remove? Now, the flowers has started blooming on the top. Now is the time to take out?

Take yr time and reply me..bye

Anoushka
22nd July 2005, 09:19 PM
Wow, Anoushka..you have a very good interest in gardening.

I planted pumpkin and came out nicely, but all of a sudden, the growth is becoming dull! Can u tell me why?

I put plant food once in a week and the temperature is also like in 90s and water regularly. Where did I go wrong?

Abt onion, I have some and which is the right time to remove? Now, the flowers has started blooming on the top. Now is the time to take out?

Take yr time and reply me..bye

R: Thanks :)

I am not sure why there is a problem with your pumpkin :( Is there enough space for it to grow. My pumpkin did not grow beyond a certain stage in a pot and it was happy when I planted it on the ground! Ofcourse I had to save it from the slugs! Is your ground soft or hard?

And as for onions, I am always in a hurry and pull it out when ever I need springonions for my kitchen, I don't wait for it to grow fully! I guess your onions should be ready now though! Always you can try pulling out one and checking.

PS: Did you know you can make lovely "keerai" dish out of your onion leaves?

aathirai1
22nd July 2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Anoushka

Thank you for your reply. I do have Keerai ( arai keerai, siru keerai and Thandu keerai) in my garden.
I have a question about Green chili in window box. I tried it once. I didnt get any thing. can you please tell me how to grow green chilies. also I have egg plant this year. do you have any suggestions for high yield
Thanks
Aathirai

Anoushka
22nd July 2005, 10:00 PM
Aathirai - this is what I do for green chillies.

I fill one of those long pots with normal compost (there are loads of different varieties of this if you have noticed) and add a packet of seed to it and water it just enough to germinate and leave it in a place where it is warm and where it gets enough sunlight!

Once it germinates, I replant it so that there is enough space between plants.

As for egg plant, I am sorry as I have no info on them. My hubby dear hates any type of eggplant/brinjal/aubergine so I don't grow them at home at all :(

aathirai1
22nd July 2005, 11:16 PM
Hi Anoushka
Thanks for the info on chilis. I will try next year.

you are right mint is like weed. you cant control easily. 5 years ago when we bought the house, i bought a bunch of mint from indian stores and took all the leaves i want for cooking and planted the rest in my garden. It is growing every year. I take out leaves every other week. It is growing very well. I even freezing some for winter.

Aathirai

Kz
22nd July 2005, 11:50 PM
Aathirai,
Great that u got some pavakkais, i will try next yr. do let me know how they are doing for this summer. did u grow in pots? did u put some stake for the climbers?
I got some thai chilli plant and the chillies are great. little hot than the store bought green chilles. do u have land to grow or just container gardening?

Kz

Kz
22nd July 2005, 11:57 PM
Aathirai,

Where did u get thandu keerai, siru keerai and arai keerai seeds? from here or from india?

For eggplant they need lots of sun like tomatoes more than 8hrs, as soon as eggplant matures harvest them, if u leave it for long time they will become more stiffer( muthal) and then the plant will stop producing veg. so it is imp to keep checking and harvesting them. i wanted to grow some eggplants this time but no time to start seeds. so i have only tomatoes, bell pepper, chilli and mints.

Kz

aathirai1
23rd July 2005, 01:11 AM
Hi KZ:

I have big yard. But I live in New York and summer here is hardly 3 months. It is not enough for most of the plants. I do start them inside. This year I bought plants. eggplants, tomatoes, zucchini, greenchilies i bought from a local nursary. Beans, pavakkai and keerai i started from seeds. I also stared some radishes from seeds. slugs are eating them. With work, family and kids it is hard to maintain garden. I am trying to control slugs.

Keerai seeds, Thandu keerai i got it from a friend. I also got red keerai from a friend. siru keerai and arai keerai i got it from India. Slugs are eating arai keerai. Siru and Thandu keerai are comming well. I have enough to give it away.

Next time I will try thai Pepper.

Thanks for the info
Aathirai

aathirai1
23rd July 2005, 01:15 AM
KZ:

About Paavaikkai, I started in a planter and planted in the garden. My husband helped me to put a Pandal using thin sticks. I have a hibiscus bush in the garden. one paavakkai is climbing on it. I will let you know.
Aathirai

Kz
23rd July 2005, 01:25 AM
Wow u sure have a great garden. i would love to have a big one. i live in NJ so here too same 3 months. nice that u have a yard. i have big deck so only container gardening. what kind of radish do u grow, red one or our indian white ones? i wanted to grow more but not sure how the rabbits ,squirells will treat them so just starting slowly. they are fond of my rose and eat all the leaves. i will start pavakai next yr and see how it does. i had red leaf before but some animal ate it not sure which.
Will try keerai next yr. do u use any spray for slugs and japanese beetles, they are messing up my peppers.

Kz

aathirai1
23rd July 2005, 02:13 AM
KZ
I have slugs and beetles too. Beetles are eating my chillies too. Additionally we have raccoons in out nighbourhood. such a nuisance.

I bought mixed radish seeds. Mullangi and red radish are comming very well. last year i had them too. But my mullangi never comes like the one we buy in stores. I usually get small ones. The seeds that comes on top of that plants can be cooked too. I never knew that. a friend of mine who is from Bangalore told me. They make curry and put it in sambar etc. tastes good.

I never get good coriander either. If some one can help me.
Aathirai

napolims445
23rd July 2005, 02:44 AM
athirai,
i have been trying to find the mulangi seeds which you get on top of the plants- here in USA. U mentioned that you get those seeds in your plant. how do you grow mulangi? could you please explain me.
and do you know if american stores sell those mulangi seeds which you were talking about( which you can put in sambar.)

Thanks in advance for your info.

R
23rd July 2005, 06:29 AM
Last year, I too faced the slug problems; but, eventually, as the temperature goes 80 and above, they all disappeared. The person who comes to our house to spray was telling that the slugs will stay when the soil is wet or moist.

I was told to try pouring salt on the slugs or keeping beer in a cup near slugs where they come; but, have not tried either of the methods.

And for coriander, pound one or two coarsely and put in the soil. For me, it took 2 to 3 weeks time. Back at home, my mother used to say that we have to pound the seeds with slippers(dont know the reason why).

R
23rd July 2005, 06:36 AM
Anoushka, my pumpkin stays on the ground only as we have a good backyard. But, the soil has little stones too. But the other veggies or flower plants are coming finely! Why not this?

Sorry, I dont know any of specific dish on what you are asking. Can substitute it in the place of other keerais' dishes.

thanks for the info.,

Anoushka
25th July 2005, 02:45 PM
R & Aathirai - Beer is small flat cups gets rid of slugs :) Works wonders actually! I use slug pellets sometimes too. And the slugs do appear because of dampness. And when you bring plants from other places do check for slugs as one slug in a slug free garden is enough to do the damage :(

If you have small children avoid the slug pellets and stick to beer in small yoghurt pots stuck in the groud!

R, I am not sure why your pumpkin is not growing :(

R
25th July 2005, 04:57 PM
That is ok, Anoushka..am thinking of planting the pumpkin again in a pot. Becoz, just now saw my coriander is not growing properly in the direct soil, but it is fine in the pot!!

Looks like my garden soil is fine for flowers, not for veggies!!

Thanks.

Kz
25th July 2005, 09:12 PM
Aathirai,
U must be growing radish in the ground right? i wanted to grow them in containers, but couldn't get suitable ones. my pepper plant leaves and small veges are fallin gof before they mature, i feel so bad when the veg falls off. any idea why?

Regarding beer cup i too have heard that it works but since mine are in pots i dont have much slugs, only beetles and insects on the leaves. i tried soap solution spray but it is only temporary.

Kz

fortune
27th July 2005, 01:01 AM
hi everybody,
seeing your thread has created an interest in me to do gardening. i was presented a rose potted plant which seems to be doing really good until now and seeing it bloom has created an interest in me. can anyone tell me how to go about growing plants like mint ,coriander etc indoors since in stay in an apartment.
really appreciate your input.

PS any pointers on which soil to use since i am a total beginner

thanks

Kz
27th July 2005, 01:46 AM
Hi fortune,

U can buy any potting mix, i get miracle gro which is good soil. make sure ur pot has a good drainage. for mint, u can either buy small plants from nursery or garden center and transplant to ur pot, or u can use the stems from the grocery store mint bunch , just remove leaves for cooking and stick the stems into the soil. keep it near a sunny window which is important. i have no luck growing coriander, someone else will help u with coriander.

Good luck!
Kz

fortune
27th July 2005, 02:44 AM
thanks kz for the info.

R
27th July 2005, 03:15 PM
Any suggestion on growing jasmine plant(gundu malli) in winter and summer??Pls do respond immediately.

In NJ, yesterday, have seen it in Rt.1 Chinese farmer's market. Some one asked abt the availalbility of the same plant.

Thanks in advance.

MysoreHudugi
27th July 2005, 04:36 PM
Hi R,
Gundu Malli grows very well in hot weather. So, summer is no problem at all. But bring the planter inside the house once it starts getting cold. Even in Houston, could not keep it out year around since it does to go freezing temperature couple of times a year. But there once the plant is big enough, could be planted in the ground and covering the base with lot of mulch. Here in north east, you will have to bring it inside by the end of August or early September depending on how fast it starts getting cold.

Hope this helps you.

CI.

R
27th July 2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks, CI for the reply. In that case, will it die in winter? Though we bring it inside, if there is no sun, how it will survive? Any idea...

Also, any idea about manjal kizhangu? Every year, it is coming out very well on the ground. Whenever I transfer into the pot before the fall begins, somehow it is not surviving. I am very keen in growing atleast until Pongal.

Suggestions r welcome!!

aathirai1
27th July 2005, 11:19 PM
napolims445:

I havent seen mullangi seeds (Kai?) in the stores. I buy mullangi seed pockets from Home Depot and plant it in early spring. After few weeks I get leaves and the Kai on top.

But my mullangi is always small. I do not know why.
Aathirai

aathirai1
27th July 2005, 11:28 PM
Kz:

most of my plants are in the ground. I think it is normal for the first few flowers to fall.
If it happens all the time, it may be due to several reason. water, fertilizer, sun ect.,. Do not put lot of miracle grow. Read the labels before you put any fertilizer. Keep a particular time for watering. Other than that may be some bugs and beatles may be the reason.

Aathirai

Kz
28th July 2005, 09:26 PM
Thankyou Aathirai, haven't put much miracle gro, i didn't put any fertilizer too as the soil itself has. will check for beetles.
Kz

Idiappam
30th July 2005, 09:53 PM
But my mullangi is always small. I do not know why.

Maybe there are physical conditions not suitable for mullangi. But, everything being allright, small mullangi is due to phosphorus difficiency in the soil. Change the fertiliser to one with higher phosphorous content.

MysoreHudugi
31st July 2005, 05:07 PM
Hi R,
Sorry did not see your post till today. When you bring these jasmine plants inside in winter, they don't die. They will be fine since the inside of the house will be warm due to heater. Mine survived for more than 3 years like that. They are still there in my SIL's house in boston. I don't know much about manjal plant. We used to plant them in India and then by sankranthi and then kaanu festival, they would be pulled out from the ground leaving couple of them to grow for the next year.

Hope someone else will be able to help you with this one.

CI.

R
31st July 2005, 05:43 PM
No problem..thanks, anyways CI.

sk
31st July 2005, 07:31 PM
Hi CI,

I bought Tulasi last week and i going to India for 3 weeks in August...i don't know how to maintain it becoz i live in (detroit) a apartment n i hardly have any friends here.

rgds,
Sk

MysoreHudugi
31st July 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Sk,
I don't know if this helps. But worth trying. There are planters where you can put water in the bottom (like a reservoir). I don't remember what they call those planters. Try using such a planter for your plant and fill it up with water. Keep your plant inside the house near a window where there is not too much of sunlight coming. (Like a shady area) I think they should be fine for 3 weeks. Just before you leave, water them nicely for couple of days so that the soil is well saturated with water. For three weeks, if they consume water from the bottom reservoir, they should be fine. I have not tried this. But, worth giving it a shot.

Maybe someone else can help you with this.

CI.

R
31st July 2005, 07:55 PM
That sounds a good idea, CI..One time what I did was (not thulasi), kept the pot in the sink under the tap opened very midly so that a tiny drop would keep on falling from it and my plant was also ok; but, it will work only if there is some window closer to the pipe area for sunlight to come.

Good luck.

Anoushka
4th August 2005, 03:36 PM
hi everybody,
seeing your thread has created an interest in me to do gardening. i was presented a rose potted plant which seems to be doing really good until now and seeing it bloom has created an interest in me. can anyone tell me how to go about growing plants like mint ,coriander etc indoors since in stay in an apartment.
really appreciate your input.

PS any pointers on which soil to use since i am a total beginner

thanks

Fortune,

For coriander, just crush the coriander seeds a bit (the normal ones that you use for cooking will do) and you can use them to grow coriander plants!

aathirai1
5th August 2005, 12:43 AM
My Paavaikkai didnt come out good. It is giving lots of flowers but they are falling off. Please help me.
Aathirai1

R
6th August 2005, 05:58 PM
Hi friends,

For the last few days, so many beetles or some other flies(dont know the name) are eating all the marigold flowers! It is black in color and big in size. If I push them with a thick stick or any thing, it all fell down and go away.

Pls do suggest some spray or any other solution. It is not even leaving any flower to bloom fully. It really makes me and my day upset!!

Thanks in advance for yr quick reply.

Uthappam
7th August 2005, 12:46 AM
My Paavaikkai didnt come out good. It is giving lots of flowers but they are falling off. Please help me.
Aathirai1

Male or female flowers - male flowers fall off!

Aaraam
7th August 2005, 09:08 AM
My first post, you can guess by the question that I am totally ignorant when it comes to gardening. :) Could you please let me know what I should place under an indoor plant so I dont dirty the carpet? I have noticed that the planters have a hole in the base.

Thanks,
Aaraam

Anoushka
7th August 2005, 05:14 PM
My first post, you can guess by the question that I am totally ignorant when it comes to gardening. :) Could you please let me know what I should place under an indoor plant so I dont dirty the carpet? I have noticed that the planters have a hole in the base.

Thanks,
Aaraam
Simple, you should get a plastic plate, if you go to a garden shop they generally have them there... or else, simple plastic plates will do. Also instead of pouring water in the pot itself you can pour water on the plate and the water will get absorbed!

Aaraam
8th August 2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks so much Anoushka, will do as suggested asap.

Aaraam.

fortune
9th August 2005, 01:14 AM
Hi ,
has anybody tried growing curry leaves in pots . All i did was take some twigs and plant it in a pot and placed it in my patio.Hope i am doing the right thing.Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks

RedPepper
9th August 2005, 07:51 AM
Here is some info on growing curry leaf / Murraya koenigii
http://www.plantcultures.org.uk/plants/curry_leaf_grow_it.html

dev
24th August 2005, 01:02 PM
Hi,

can anyone pls let me know how to grown methi in a pot... How do I start with & how do I maintain it?...how frequently should I water it & how long does it take to mature (so that I can use it in my aloo methi :wink: :lol: )...I live in Singapore...so the weather is pretty hot all thru the yr...

fortune
15th September 2005, 08:50 AM
hi ,
Can anyone help me in growing pavakkai . Is it enough if i remove the seeds from what what we get in the indian store and plant it in the pot .
Thanks !

Kz
15th September 2005, 10:11 PM
Fortune, i tried planting the pavakai seeds from grocery shop pavakkai, it sprouted but it died after few days, so donno what went wrong. i am going to try next yr for summer as the season is over almost.

Kz

Anoushka
18th October 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi,

can anyone pls let me know how to grown methi in a pot... How do I start with & how do I maintain it?...how frequently should I water it & how long does it take to mature (so that I can use it in my aloo methi :wink: :lol: )...I live in Singapore...so the weather is pretty hot all thru the yr...

I am not sure if I am too late in replying to you. Methi is one of those easy things to grow. Just use the normal methi seeds that you use for cooking in a pot and add just enough water to keep the soil wet. It should sprout quite easily and as it grows, you can constantly pluck the leaves and use them for cooking!

Anoushka
18th October 2005, 07:49 PM
Fortune, i tried planting the pavakai seeds from grocery shop pavakkai, it sprouted but it died after few days, so donno what went wrong. i am going to try next yr for summer as the season is over almost.

Kz Kz, mine died because my soil was very dry and I did not find time to water it. Was yours something like that. Some of plants were eaten by slugs as well so that didn't help either :(

Anoushka
18th October 2005, 07:50 PM
hi ,
Can anyone help me in growing pavakkai . Is it enough if i remove the seeds from what what we get in the indian store and plant it in the pot .
Thanks !

Fortune, you should get nice "pazhutha" pavakkai, remove the seeds without damaging them, dry it and then plant it. It should come up!

Anoushka
18th October 2005, 07:55 PM
Hi friends,

For the last few days, so many beetles or some other flies(dont know the name) are eating all the marigold flowers! It is black in color and big in size. If I push them with a thick stick or any thing, it all fell down and go away.

Pls do suggest some spray or any other solution. It is not even leaving any flower to bloom fully. It really makes me and my day upset!!

Thanks in advance for yr quick reply.

R, I guess my reply is too late for this season, but I thought I will put it in here anyway so it might be of some use to someone else...

I had loads of little flies sitting on my mustard plant and they would fall off if I pushed and I used to fill a watering can with soap solution and pour on them. That worked for me.

dev
22nd October 2005, 09:39 AM
I am not sure if I am too late in replying to you. Methi is one of those easy things to grow. Just use the normal methi seeds that you use for cooking in a pot and add just enough water to keep the soil wet. It should sprout quite easily and as it grows, you can constantly pluck the leaves and use them for cooking!

Thanks Anoushka... I finally managed to buy some pots & soil Y'day... have planted methi in one & coriander in the other pot... Now, should I keep them in shade(inside the house) or should I leave them in the balcony?... BTW, the pot doesn't have any hole at the bottom... Will it affect the plant or is it ok if I water just enough so that the root doesn't get spoilt?...

Also can U pls let me know how long it'll take for the plants to mature enough to use it for cooking?... Desperate to eat aloo methi... :wink: :lol:

kavithasenthil
22nd October 2005, 10:52 AM
I think the methi plant won't regrow like corriander and mint. So we need to reseed them once we pluck the methi leaves.(saw methi leaves with root in the market instead of cut end?)

nirosha sen
22nd October 2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks Anoushka... I finally managed to buy some pots & soil Y'day... have planted methi in one & coriander in the other pot... Now, should I keep them in shade(inside the house) or should I leave them in the balcony?... BTW, the pot doesn't have any hole at the bottom... Will it affect the plant or is it ok if I water just enough so that the root doesn't get spoilt?...

Also can U pls let me know how long it'll take for the plants to mature enough to use it for cooking?... Desperate to eat aloo methi... :wink: :lol:

Oh what a lovely thread this is!! All abt gardening of vege. too!! :D

Dev : All plants love some filtered sunlight at least to grow healthy. So if you place your plants facing east or even north/south easterly, you should get a healthy handful!

I live in a plantation, so my backyard is quite spacious to grow whatever we want. Unfortunately, I've not had much luck with tomatoes or methi-pavakkai! :( Everything else grows quite well though.

I do my own composting using kitchen refuse and oil palm discards. Use to get good goat dung before, but not lately. :)

dev
23rd October 2005, 01:31 PM
I can see a couple of methi sprouts today...:)
Coriander doesn't show any sign of growth... gues it'll take some more time...

What are the other plants that can be grown in a pot?... I would like to try some fuss free plants... Am planning to try mint next...

RedPepper
23rd October 2005, 11:15 PM
Congratulations on the methi sprouts!
Mint likes cool humid atmosphere. I have pepper mint and spearmint in pots, I keep them outside. It dies completely over winter, but comes back in spring. For using over winter, I take some pieces of mint with roots, plant them in a small pot, and bring it indoors. It grows well indoors until the winter is over.
I have tried growing tomatoes and okra in pots and they came out very well. Make sure the pot is big enough and has a drainage hole. Big pots are a must, otherwise there won't be enough room for the root system and the plants won't grow healthy.
Happy gardening!

I can see a couple of methi sprouts today...:)
Coriander doesn't show any sign of growth... gues it'll take some more time...

What are the other plants that can be grown in a pot?... I would like to try some fuss free plants... Am planning to try mint next...

dev
24th October 2005, 07:12 AM
Hi Redpepper,

Thanks for the info... Will try mint next... I don't have to worry abt winter as the weather here is always hot & humid... BTW, wht is the diff between peppermint & spearmint?

RedPepper
24th October 2005, 06:54 PM
[tscii:3f3ed56839]
Hi Redpepper,

Thanks for the info... Will try mint next... I don't have to worry abt winter as the weather here is always hot & humid... BTW, wht is the diff between peppermint & spearmint?

Hi Dev

When I was shopping for a mint plant at the nursery, I was amazed and confused to see the variety of mints they had for display. Other than spearmint and peppermint, they also had chocolate mint, lemon mint, pineapple mint and a few others. I was confused because I didn’t do a research before shopping. I thought there was only one kind of mint. So I bought spearmint and peppermint since they looked like the one we use in cooking even though the leaves were different in size. Then I did a research on the web and found out the different uses of different types of mints. You can see some types of mint on this website: http://www.papagenos.com/plantdb/plants.asp?catid=8
I saw in some websites that spearmint is good for cooking. But I use both mints and didn’t notice a difference yet. The leaves look different, but I couldn’t find much difference in the flavor. Maybe it’s just me. People say that each mint has its own flavor. My husband says peppermint tastes good in a mint tea.

Are you planning to start mint from the seeds? If so, I would like to discourage it. Because I tried to grow mint from the seeds at the beginning, and it took more than a month to sprout. And when I got the sprouts, it was so tiny that you could only see them with a microscopic eye. Then they disappeared after a few days. That’s when I went shopping for a plant, and I am satisfied with it.
[/tscii:3f3ed56839]

dev
24th October 2005, 07:03 PM
Redpepper,

very interesting info abt mint... never knew abt the diff varities of mint... Thanks for the info...

I'm planning to try to grow from the mint bunch we get in the store... No plans of growing it from the seed...:)

Anoushka
24th October 2005, 07:26 PM
Dev,

For coriander, did you crush (break the seeds into two) the seeds a bit before putting in the pot? If you don't it won't come.

Mint is easy to grow, specially in Singapore, you can actually remove most of the leaves from the stem when you buy some for regular cooking and stick it in a pot and it comes out quiet well.

Leave your plants where they can get sunlight. And keep turning the pots once in a while to avoid plants growing in one direction.

As for differnt types of mint, I heard that some types of mint can actually cause miscarriage, don't remember which ones though!

thanks

dev
24th October 2005, 07:40 PM
Yes Anoushka, I did break them into two... I believe it takes a week to 10 days for cori to sprout... Is that right?

& for the mint, I was planning to do exactly what U've said... Went for grocery shopping today but couldn't find a good,fresh mint bunch...

RedPepper
24th October 2005, 09:24 PM
Redpepper,

very interesting info abt mint... never knew abt the diff varities of mint... Thanks for the info...

I'm planning to try to grow from the mint bunch we get in the store... No plans of growing it from the seed...:)

Good luck with your mint.

I have heard some people use rooting powder while propagating plants from cuttings. I have never tried it, but I think it might hasten the process of rooting. You need to dip the plant cutting in rooting powder before planting it.

Does any one know the best method of propagating plant cuttings? In water or in soil? Which is faster?

Idiappam
26th October 2005, 12:53 PM
Does any one know the best method of propagating plant cuttings? In water or in soil? Which is faster?

With so many species of them plants - it is hard to tell which is best for which. But their general response - soft stemed plants, like the mint, root better in water. Woody plants, like rose and jasmine, root better in soil.

dev
3rd November 2005, 04:48 PM
Can anyone let me know how long it takes for coriander to sprout... It hasn't shown any sign of growth so far...

RedPepper
4th November 2005, 06:13 AM
Can anyone let me know how long it takes for coriander to sprout... It hasn't shown any sign of growth so far...
Dev,
Do you have it indoors or outdoors? I think it needs a lot of sun. I have grown coriander, but don't remember how many days it took. But I remember that it sprouted pretty fast than I expected.

dev
4th November 2005, 09:42 AM
I've kept them in the balcony... It gets sufficient sunlight... Almost 2 weeks but no sprouts yet...

My methi too died coz I couldn't water it for a few days... I've planted it again & it shows signs of sprouting...

kritica
4th November 2005, 11:31 PM
Hi All,
inspired by all here, i am going to plant methi and coriander... but the problem here is i live in a cold country... where we have heavy snow... for 8 months of the year.. starting this month....there is no heat and most of all there is no sunshine....(no no i dont live in artic circle i live in canada.......) what do i do... i am still going to try.....any suggestions..

RedPepper
6th November 2005, 05:45 AM
I am also tempted to try methi. Since the winter is coming, can I grow it on my kitchen window in a small pot? Also, do u have to soak the seeds before planting it? Will the plant die once we plucked out the leaves, or will it produce more leaves?
Thanks in advance.

dev
6th November 2005, 09:50 AM
No need of soaking the seeds...just plant it & keep the soil moist... U should be able to see the sprouts in 2-3 days...

Dunno if it'll regrow after plucking the leaves...

RedPepper
10th November 2005, 09:11 PM
OK I planted some methi seeds. Does it really need a lot of sun? because the temperatures are in 50s outside and I think I should keep them indoors. My kitchen window is almost full, and would it be ok if i keep the methi seeds pot somewhere else inside the house where there is no sun? Or do u think it will survive outside in the cold weather? Thanks.
I wish I would have thought about this in summer! Next summer I will be growing a lot of methi outside. :P

Urmila
11th November 2005, 11:22 AM
How to grow money plant [a friend has given a stalk] at home ? I've put it in a plastic jar of water, but some leaves are yellowing, while new small shoots are becoming brown. How much light it needs --- which room is ideal for keeping it, presently I've kept in hallway.
Thanks,
Urmi.

kritica
13th November 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi urmila,
well i have 2 money plants at home......one growing in water other in soil.... yes they do need light... leave them in a place.. where it is bright.....
u can c some improvement....
hope this helps
Kritica

kritica
13th November 2005, 12:29 AM
Hi dev,
I have planted methi and cilantro and left it in the south facing window.. as my friends told me that south facing window gets maximum sun during winter.... is there any other herbs that i can grow at home.....
thanks in advance
Kritica

dev
13th November 2005, 07:41 AM
Kritica,

This is the first time I'm trying out gardening... & my methi is not growing after a certain stage...ie after I see 2 leaves, the plant starts bending down as though it's not able to sustain then weight & then dies... This has happened twice now... Am gonna try again with fewer plants in a pot...
My coriander never sprouted... Both get enough sunlight & water... :(:(:(

kritica
14th November 2005, 08:54 PM
Hi dev,
well my methi is sprouted.... u know i live in canada.. and at this time of the year.. the sunlight is not very strong... i have put it somewhere where it can... stay warm and have as much sunlight as possible.....
when googled.. they ask to use a flourscent light.. and a fan... so have fresh air cirulation... well i will c.. if it becomes a flop i will try out those...
Kritica

dev
15th November 2005, 07:19 AM
Good luck, kritica

kritica
16th November 2005, 07:07 PM
Gee thanks dev,
well new development is that we have a snow storm rite now... so i dont know.. it has sprouted and come rite out of methi.. ..... i hope everything goes ok.....my cilantro... has not even sprouted.. i dont know what is wrong....
thanks for all your help
Kritica

kavithasenthil
9th December 2005, 09:04 AM
Hello Dev and kritica,

Here are few tips which i had saved from the net. I have no idea from where i got these tips. If it creates any copy right issue then pls delete it.

1. Greens like coriander and mint grow better in shaded light. You have to grow them under shade nettings. The naturual response of plants - bigger, juicier leaves in shade. Smaller, harder leaves in direct sun - they don't need big leaves to trap 'more light'.

2. Fruiting plants fruit better under strong light.

3. Plants prefer a well drained soil, but not sand - it does not hold moisture and nuitrients well. If your garden is sandy - mix compost with the sand 50/50% and make a vegetable bed.

4. So if you grow brinjals - space them at half a metre interval and plant mint or corriander under them.

5. MINT
The common asian variety Pudhina (botanical: Mentha arvensis) will perform well in hot hot hot climate under shade. Grow them from fleshy stem cuttings - they tend to shoot runners that will root and spread all over the bed.

The temperate varieties - Pepermint (Mentha peperita) and Spear Mint (Mentha spicata) - I have seen them grow from seeds only. I have not tried cuttings!

6. Corriander
Grown from seeds. Don't use those seeds that you buy from stores for cooking - they are very weak seeds - they sprout and die afer a few days. Buy the seed from seed shops. Split the seeds before sowing. Sow them in seed trays to germinate then tranplant them to the garden after the second leave appears. You can sow direct to your garden if you can monitor them carefully till they become sturdy. You can also sow them direct if you are planting in boxes or pots.

7. Watering has to done once a day when they are small and twice a day when the plants are bigger (they drink more water then). Look out for signs of dehydration - leaf tips will dry out! Maybe you need to water thrice if the soil can't hold much water - seeps off too fast.

8. Nutrients - fertiliser. Ask the local nursery to recommend - High nitrogen for leafy vegies, High pottasium for fruits. Don't overdose. Give them small quantities every week - they grow well. Larger quantity every month results in slower growth.

9. Pests and Fungal diseases - may be a problem - we will tackle them when they come!

Keep a bigger pot in a corner of your garden with 3/4 mud. Put all your degradable garbages in this. Each time u can dig a corner and cover these biodegradables so that u see only mud above..keep this always wet. biodegradables are tea left over, egg shells, fruit and vegetable skins...etc...add this mixture when u prepare your pot for planting and see the difference in crops next time...Enjoy gardening!!!
Grow mint ( pudhina) in pots, if planted in ground it will spread and take over the whole place. I got a bunch from a grocery store used all the leaves and planted those stems and it grew very well.
you can grow chillies in pots, aloe vera and curry leaves.
Marigolds and tomatoes can be planted to together.

dev
9th December 2005, 10:55 AM
Kavitha,

Thanks a lot for the info... methi/pudina/ cori everyhing died... coriander never sprouted... Dunno Y...

kavithasenthil
10th December 2005, 01:18 AM
dev,
in my post..it says..if the seeds are weak then it won't grow. Ur seed may be very weak so it is not even sprouting. Y don't u buy a seed from seed shop? or if u r using grocery seeds ..then y don't u try diff brand?

dev
10th December 2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks Kavitha... I too thought of the same... :)

Cindy
10th December 2005, 04:29 PM
Hello Dev and kritica,
Keep a bigger pot in a corner of your garden with 3/4 mud. Put all your degradable garbages in this. Each time u can dig a corner and cover these biodegradables so that u see only mud above..keep this always wet. biodegradables are tea left over, egg shells, fruit and vegetable skins...etc...add this mixture when u prepare your pot for planting and see the difference in crops next time...Enjoy gardening!!!

If i remember right, i gave this tip somewhere here in forumhub.... this is what i do still... be it for ur flowering plant or for vegetable.. I do not use any other fertilizer or stimulants...

couple of week ago, i prepared a pot for my alovera.. and from there was some fresh veg peelings and the innerportion of some bittergourd.. and the seeds of those pavakka is growing around my alovera now... and after these rains, i see 3 small bitterguards on them :D

kavithasenthil
11th December 2005, 05:27 AM
thats good cindy. thks for the info. I need more info on that. We are in the middle of buying a house. Will ask questions once we done buying a house.

Dev,

Is ur soil is a good soil? Since ur methi too didn't grow well. So is any problem with soil?

dev
11th December 2005, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure, Kavitha... I just picked this potting soil from the store... Methi sprouted well & I saw 2-3 leaves... only then it died...

RedPepper
11th December 2005, 07:56 PM
[tscii:098faabecf]Dev, my methi plants are not died yet. But it just have only 2-3 leaves. I had them indoors first, but my microscopic eyes found out a few teeny-weeny bugs on them. I don’t know where they came from. I used sterilized potting soil. So I kept them outside and we already had a few frosts. So I guess they won’t survive. I will wait for the Summer. :wink: [/tscii:098faabecf]

dev
11th December 2005, 08:02 PM
Goodluck RP... I'm planning to try mint again... maybe methi too... bought some mint this evening...will use the sticks after using the leaves for cooking...

RedPepper
11th December 2005, 08:05 PM
Goodluck RP... I'm planning to try mint again... maybe methi too... bought some mint this evening...will use the sticks after using the leaves for cooking...

Good luck to you too.
Regarding the coriander leaves, I got good plants with the coriander seeds we buy for cooking. But I have heard that the seeds from the garden shops/nurseries will give a better result - long supply of strong, healthy leaves.

Idiappam
12th January 2006, 06:12 AM
Hello Dev and kritica,

Here are few tips which i had saved from the net. I have no idea from where i got these tips. If it creates any copy right issue then pls delete it.

Don't worry Madam Kavitha... Those words are mine.. posted on the old hub... See:

http://forumhub.com/southfood/13378.06.59.18.html

Enjoy the growth.....

RedPepper
18th January 2006, 12:07 AM
This is not vegetable gardening. Since we don't have any other gardening threads I am posting it here.

Recently I found some small bugs around my indoor plants. I suspect that they are coming from the soil, so I took all my plants outside. No more soil inside the house!! So I want to grow some indoor plants in water (hydroponics?). Any idea what kind of plants are best for this? Please share the tips and tricks of water gardening. Thanks.

Idiappam
18th January 2006, 04:01 AM
Redpepper, may I know which corner of the Globe are you posting from?

RedPepper
18th January 2006, 06:57 AM
Redpepper, may I know which corner of the Globe are you posting from?

U.S.

Any suggestions? I have always admired your expertise, and I would be happy if I could make use of some.... :)

Inimai
19th January 2006, 11:36 PM
Hello Dev and kritica,

Here are few tips ........................

you can grow chillies in pots, aloe vera and curry leaves.
Marigolds and tomatoes can be planted to together.

Hi KavithaSenthil,

Where did you buy Aloe vera? I'm looking for fresh Aloe vera gel (for hair colouring) in grocery store. But I couldn't find the leaf or gel. Could you help me on this?

Thanks!
Inimai.

Anoushka
10th June 2006, 04:28 PM
It is summer again, and time for the garden, so here are a few things that I've been doing which might help others too :)

Anoushka
10th June 2006, 04:37 PM
Clearing the slugs off your garden!

Slugs: the biggest pest problems that I face. If you have no slugs in your garden, great! But be careful, if you bring plants (with soil) from other places where there are slugs, your garden will be infested in no time. (that is how I got slugs in mine)!

There are three ways (that I know of ) to control slugs (I am not sure if slugs can be cleared completely at all).
1. Slug pellets - they should be available in all garden shops. If you don't have children or pets and if it is not going to rain and if you are not going to water your plants for sometime, you can add this. As once you water the pellets melt and is of no use then.... I don't think it is safe for homes with small children or pets as they tend to put anything on the ground into the mouth.

2. Beer - strange as it may sound, beer attracts slugs. Pour some beer into used yoghurt pots (or something like that) and stick it in the ground so that the mouth of the vessel is at ground level overnight. The next morning you should find a good few dead slugs in each container.

3. Salt. This is the best method I find. Salt dehydrates slugs and kills them. It is a bit of hard work. Water you plants each evening (as you would do normally), once you water them, after half an hour the slugs tend to come out, walk around with your salt container and sprinkle some salt on each slug that you see, that kills the slug within minutes. Then wake up next morning (around six) and go out to find more slugs and kill them. Do it for a week and the slug population decreases drastically! And don't stop after that, each time you see a slug go for the salt container...

Good luck getting rid of the slugs! :)

ayeshasadique
10th June 2006, 06:10 PM
hey wow, i never knew this thread existed.....
the one thing in which i need real help....
all i have is money plants...one in soil, one in water...
i live in a flat, so no garden space..all i can do is pot gardening...
how do i get rid of the white powdery thing on my money plant leaves, everytime i wipe off with a wet cloth, it is back....

RedPepper
10th June 2006, 09:20 PM
Those are some wonderful tips Anoushka. I do container gardening, and haven't met any slugs yet. But I will keep your tips in mind for the future.

This summer I am growing lots of herbs, methi, and tomato plants. One of my mint plant has lots of small bugs on it. When I spray water on it, they will go away, but come back when the plant is dry again. They are on the stalk, and sometimes on the leaves too. Any idea how to get rid of them permanently?

Anoushka
11th June 2006, 12:07 AM
Red pepper: Are you talking of green flies... small green ones? (tomato plants do attract green flies) I've heard that a easy way of getting rid of them is to spray soap water on them using a watering can (or one of those spray things)! :)

Ayesha: I haven't seen the white powdery stuff on my money plant so I do not know, will search around and let you know if I find any info. :)

gkals
18th July 2006, 02:17 AM
Hi all gardening lovers,

Can u share what all plants u are growing now at home.I read the entire posting now and i wonder whether any one planted bittergaurd this year?.I live in boston.Can i plant a bitter gaurd now or is it late?.Also where can i get curry leave plants?.
I also have mint plants in a pot.I think u have to plant very thick stems which u buy from the shop.I also got corriander plants and i used store bought seeds.I have been trying to get the plants for the past 3 years and didn't suceed.This year iam lucky.I bought a different brand of the seeds from the shop.

Redpepper,What all herbs are u growing this year?.Please do share.Also dev,U can cook the methi plant with just two leaves.I always pluck the methi plants when it has only the first 2 leaves(takes only 5 days only after planting the seeds).Cut all the roots and put the plant with 2 leaves and an inch of the stem in the kaarakulamboo we do.We have to add them when we are frying the onions for the kulamboo.It will give a very good smell and taste for the kulamboo and they say it is very good for ur eyes.

To ALL others,Please do post about ur gardening this year.
Thanks
Kals

Anoushka
30th July 2006, 09:11 PM
gkals, I generally put the seeds in March/april so that the plants grow well before winter sets! I am not sure if this is the right time to put bittergourd seeds if you don't have anything like a green house.

Mint plants are good in a pot, if planted on the ground it grows like a weed and tends to take over everywhere!

Corriander seeds must be broken into two and seeded. You can use regular dhania seeds that you use for cooking. If it is of good quality it will definetly come up.

I have mint, corriander, tarragon & basil growing in my garden.

I also have strawberry, cabbage, betroot, tomato, green beans, manathakkaLi keerai, pasalai keerai, mEthi and mustard.

Other than this I have sunflower, carnation, marigold, jasmine, kanakambaram, sweet pea, lavendar, St. John's Wort, sweet williams, rose, pansies and a good few cactii varieties :)

dsath
30th July 2006, 11:53 PM
Wow Anou, u do have a lot veggies growing in your garden.
How did u get manathakali keeerai seeds?

Anoushka
31st July 2006, 03:39 PM
dsath: I got manathakkaLi and pasalai keerai seeds from my mother's garden when I went to India. I also tend to buy seeds from the Horticulture society of India (opposite Woodlands drive in) when I go to Madras. You are just across in the UK, I can post you manathakkaLi seeds for next season if you want :) btw, where in UK are you? I travel to Derby regularly (I am there tomorrow and day after too!) :)

ssanjinika
31st July 2006, 07:56 PM
Anou,what do you do during winter?How to protect them from the snow.Someplants do go into hibernation during winter,but I am not sure what to do about the herbs. I recently bought tulasi plant and thats thriving as of now..but it will be winter in just a few short months :cry:

dsath
1st August 2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks Anou. My husband is in India now and i will ask him to bring in some seeds from India. I would love have a curry leaves plant growing in the garden.
I live in Birmingham a 2 hr drive from Derby. Why don't you pop in sometime when in Derby Anou?

Anoushka
1st August 2006, 05:02 PM
Sandy: We don't have snow here and the temperature never goes below -5 here anyway. I have a little green house which kind of protects some of my plants, some die away... mint dies and comes back by itself, whereas methi, manathakkali, mustard, etc survive the winter if the root is covered with wooden chips!

dsath: We tend to fly from Birmingham if the flights from EMA are full. So when we do that I will definetly pop in and meet you :) I am in Derby today and will be flying out from EMA tomorrow. Maybe next time :)

dsath
3rd August 2006, 02:28 PM
Sure Anou, next time when you come to Birmingham please PM me. :)

RedPepper
7th August 2006, 07:15 AM
Hi all gardening lovers,

Can u share what all plants u are growing now at home.I read the entire posting now and i wonder whether any one planted bittergaurd this year?.I live in boston.Can i plant a bitter gaurd now or is it late?.Also where can i get curry leave plants?.
I also have mint plants in a pot.I think u have to plant very thick stems which u buy from the shop.I also got corriander plants and i used store bought seeds.I have been trying to get the plants for the past 3 years and didn't suceed.This year iam lucky.I bought a different brand of the seeds from the shop.

Redpepper,What all herbs are u growing this year?.Please do share.Also dev,U can cook the methi plant with just two leaves.I always pluck the methi plants when it has only the first 2 leaves(takes only 5 days only after planting the seeds).Cut all the roots and put the plant with 2 leaves and an inch of the stem in the kaarakulamboo we do.We have to add them when we are frying the onions for the kulamboo.It will give a very good smell and taste for the kulamboo and they say it is very good for ur eyes.

To ALL others,Please do post about ur gardening this year.
Thanks
Kals

Kal, I couldn't pay enough attention to my plants this year. So I have nothing much going on here except 3 types of mints, and some herbs such as rosemary, basil, and sage. I have some methi too. Cilantro was a failure. I am waiting for next Summer! :D

venkatappiah
20th September 2006, 03:23 AM
[tscii:6a2953b072]What can be done in fall?

(Applies for those living in North America only)

Several places are selling containers for plants for 50% off sale. (such as Dollar general )

Dollar general also sells Peters fertilizer (it is beter than MG) as soil won’t accumulate salts like MG and preferred by Nursery men.
Again available at Dollar general stores. One dollar a packet.
Lowes is selling some good (I prefer them and so are many others on sale)

Epsoma brand Rose fertilizers, Garden tone and bulb fertilizers. These are semi organic.

With vegetable and flower gardening high phosphorous and low nitrogen fertilizers are preferred. Other wise you will leafy growth, but no yields.

Yes! you can use rose and bulb fertilizers for Veggies and actually they are preferred...

Cut down on fertilizing Curry leaf plants, Tulasi plants and Jasmines.

If you have traditional row type of gardening (till the soil on the ground) (not raised beds or container gardening), add compost, cut down the plants that died add it to the soil, mix it well and cover it with a black garbage bag. If you add lot of vegetative matter add liquid molasses or Jaggery water so that the vegetative matter will break down quicker. Also add little lime a hand full is sufficient.

Prepare the soil this fall or early winter so that the bio availability is great for next season.

Buy a table light with florescent lights so that you can provide supplementary lights to your indoor plants in winter.
There is time now to order Tindora (donda) and jasmine plants.

Don’t buy lilies now (Rajani Gandha) buy them in April?

Start looking at the catalogs (.Ever green and Indian seeds websites).

How many egg plants?
Donda (tindora- Gentlemen’s toes)
Karela (bitter melon)?
Amaranths (thota Kura)
what are the early maturing varieties 50 days from planting?
Do you have space for them any plans for trellis?
How much time you can allot per week?
So on and so fourth
regards
[/tscii:6a2953b072]

Anoushka
20th September 2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for your tips venkatappiah :)

venkatappiah
21st September 2006, 02:42 AM
Any one interested in Tulasi seeds?

These Tulasi plants are re raised in Kentucky. Most of them are Krishna Tulasi. Some of them got mixed up with Lakshmi Tulasi seeds from the gardens of Tirumala.This strain comes from the seeds distributed from the gardens of Venkateswara temple.
I will be glad to give them to any one who wants them.
I will put them in a zip lock bag.
Please send a SASE with 2 stamps (large envelope).
If you PM me I can give my address, both postal and e-mail. I can also send instructions about the medical value and other growing instructions Etc collected from several sources and from my own experience.

What to do with Tulasi plants?

Good as companion plants in the garden with egg plants and peppers.
Feng shui people and someVastu guys are recommending them putting them on four sides (N_E_S_W) or on four corners of the house. (Cheaper than braking walls)

Keep them in the living areas with sun light. They are considered to be auspicious and holy. They do have some protective influence from Drishti (evil eye, Buri Najar- evil planets Etc)
Eat few leaves in the morning.Good as a mouth freshener, good for cough and colds, Good to reduce triglycerides and cholesterol)
Exemptions those who are pregnant- some say it may cause bleeding)
Make tea out of leaves. Grow more plants in Styrofoam cups; give away to a temple for their find raising. I keep them on a table in a Hindu temple ask them to pick one and put 5 dollars in the Hundi.
Give them as a gift to fellow Indians at dinner meetings or any auspicious occasions such as Griha pravesam, satya narayana vratham etc.

regards

venkatappiah
22nd September 2006, 08:55 AM
[tscii:17f05a5984]Gardening should be fun and not a chore.

When I first started serious gardening in 1985(Mid- west-USA), we started with too much enthusiasm, too many plants about 1500, in an acre and half of yard.

Used to spend a couple of hours everyday, we had some one to help us Plus A tiller and 3 compost piles.

We produced too much. One year we had 250-300 Bottle gourds form 5 plants (Loki-Sora –Bottle gourd).Literally had to request people to take them .Family got tired of harvesting, and using the vegetables.

Now getting older, learnt the easy way. Now it is more enjoyable, spend may be an hour or two during the season per week .Have enough for us, some left to share. Now the goals in gardening are more defined. Learnt the smart way.

The nearest Indian grocery store is about 120 miles away, being vegetarians, we do grow them, Can not eat cauliflower, potatoes and cabbage all the time.

There is nothing like getting few leaves fresh coriander, curry leaves, vegetables from garden.

Some of them such as Methi can be grown in winter months inside the home. It is a fast germinator (if you soak the seeds in warm water rover night-Not the cold tap water, keep it under light. use only water at room temperature –not cold water from the Tap).
Start successive planting in 2 or 3 plastic containers 5-6 inches deep made up of plastic- like a shoe box from wall- mart or a dollar store-drill some holes .Alternately in some of the stores like any thing for a dollar stores, like dollar tree one can buy small garbage cans for a dollar. It is easy to make holes .One can cover the holes with a coffee paper filters, or with a piece of cotton cloth(cut from old cotton vest, old bed sheets, Jeans Etc.The wet piece of cloth helps in moisture retention, excess water can seep out, but not the soil. It grows fast 3 weeks to four weeks if fertilized well.
Plant one of methi set every week or 10 days. When one batch is used up the second one is ready to harvest. Shoe box (Plastic) won’t take much space. If fertilized well they will be ready in 3-4 weeks.

In India a people are complaining about pesticides in Pepsi. Any one knows how much pesticide residues are there over the vegetables sold in the Market?

I gave a friend of mine several cuttings of cestrum (Raat Ki rani- Night blooming Jasmine-Night queen). They are easy to root, grow very fast. Heavenly fragrance in the night after 7-30 PM
He planted a half a dozen of them over his fence. Neighbourers complained that the over bearing fragrance gave them head ache. Hence the need for some moderation. (Easy to say-but difficult to follow).

One thing I found in the hard way is to prune.

Pruning stimulates the growth, more flowers, and more vegetables.
Most of Indians here (including me at one time) feel guilty to cut growing tips or lateral branches or remove suckers from tomatoes, vines etc.. Feel reluctant to cut some thing green and growing.
Many think it is complicated to learn to identify male and female flowers and pollinate them. When once they learn it they say”Tthis is it!.It is so simple”

It is useful for those plants with male and female flowers and if there are no bees and bugs around to do the Job.(Like snake Gourd, Bitter melon ETC)

More later.
[/tscii:17f05a5984]

Anoushka
22nd September 2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks a million for all these tips :)

by the way, can we use the molasses (jaggery water) in the compost bin to speed up composting?

venkatappiah
22nd September 2006, 11:53 PM
[tscii:51cb0b1b75]The microorganisms in the compost or in the soil to which we added matter needs to sugar to survive and to multiply. They decompose the matter.

Hence the need to add molasses. Molasses are available as dry powder and as liquids.

But the cheapest source, which we have at home, is Jaggery.
If one lives near a seacoast, seaweed is free. It contains lots of minerals and growth stimulating harmones. Broken seashells are good to add, as they are a good source of calcium. Here in the US one can buy powdered seashells 7 dollars for 50 pound bag used to feed animals.(if collected they need to be washed to get rid of the salt)

In all some of the best sources for organic fertilizers –cheaper comes from animal feed stores. But they come in 50-pound bags.
Coffee grounds can be added. Some times one can buy 2 % skim powder close to the date of expiration at a bargain price. Some believe this takes out the bitterness out of some vegetables.

Continuing on Methi

Most of the time the Methi we buy comes with roots. Since labor is an expensive part they sell them that way. But the better way is to cut with a scissors the tops or some tender parts and let the plants grow continually. When done completely the roots can be mixed with soil and it will be ready to plant in a week or two. The same can be done with Dhania, (Kothimeer, and cilantro). That way we are adding organic matter to the soil again.

Since these are leafy vegetables high nitrogen fertilizers are best. I use them and I also use fish emulsion (Kept as a secret from my wife to avoid frowning). Give the plants water half way and then give them the fertilizer mixed water at half strength.

The leafy vegetables are a good source of Iron (highest in Mint)
But if the soil is deficient in Iron?

regards
[/tscii:51cb0b1b75]

venkatappiah
23rd September 2006, 08:58 AM
[tscii]I have been growing snake gourd (potla kai)on and off for the past 10 years, grow up to—4 feet long — and their easy, pest-free, but space taking and Need a strong trellis.

Look like hanging green snakes, snake gourds are one of the vegetables that elicit frequent comments from the local people. The other one is bottle gourd (Loki, Sora kai, Doodhi)

There are two distinct categories of snake gourds offered by U.S. seed companies. One is a long, ornamental gourd that develops a hard shell when ripe; the other is the waxy-skinned snake gourd with which we are all familiar in India.

I am sorry I do not remember the Tamil name though I lived for few years in Pondiicherry in early 70s.

Botanical Name as Trichosanthes anguina or T. cucumerina. Its genetic origin is India, but today, the snake gourd is grown all over the world, especially in tropical regions. Being one of the popular vegetables in southern India, many distinct varieties have been developed. Such as : ‘India Short,’ which resembles a large cucumber with nearly white skin; ‘Extra Long Dancer,’ which is about 4 inches in diameter and the most snakelike in appearance; ‘White Glory,’ a medium-long variety with white skin, and ‘Baby,’ a short, white-skinned variety recently developed by the College of Horticulture at the Kerala Agriculture University in India.

Within the past 10 years, many New Hybrids are developed. It adapts well to the vegetarian cookery; it is highly productive as a field crop, and the plant has a long association with Ayurvedic medicine, which employs it as a cooling ingredient. Reduces excessive body heat.

Today due to significant increase in Indian communities in the United States, the gourds can be purchased in most Indian markets year-round, and seeds are available from several U.S. mail-order companies. I never saw one in the Indian grocery stores before 1995.

The snake gourd variety I grew is ‘Extra Long Dancer’
Purchased from Evergreen Seeds in California. Now I switched to the short ones. The long ones break and damaged easily from heavy winds.

Growing Snake Gourds

It is similar to that of the cucumber, but, a few tricks are worth knowing.
First, this is not a vegetable that can be grown on the ground.
You will need a trellis, or a fence to let the plant run free because each vine can grow as long as 15 feet. The support structure must be sturdy, too, because of the fruit’s weight. s. A damp, rainy climate is detrimental. And this year we did not get much. But about 10 of them as we had a wind storm in the last week of may with 60 MPH winds.

If you can grow beans in your area, then you can grow snake gourds. The insects that beans also like the flowers on snake gourds, or simply learn to hand pollinate.

The trick to getting good fruit here is to start the plants early indoors and to plant them out as soon as the weather gets warmer... The larger the cup: I use 6-inch pots so that root disturbance is minimal./Now I changed to the largest Styrofoam cup from McDonald for super sized soft drink. I use them for growing all vegetable seeds now. This will give them the head start they need in order to set fruit during the hottest part of the summer.

The gourds are ready to eat when they are young, about 40 to 50 days from planting, depending on the weather. For an average of 10 years you have good yields for 7 years.

These days I prefer the shorter varieties.

The ripe seeds themselves are dark gray, should not be consumed by humans due to complex compounds with strong emetic and purgative properties.
Saving seed season to season, discard any that are light-colored or white; they will not germinate. Even in India, germination rates for the best seeds hover at about 60 percent. So always keep on hand more seeds than you think you need, and plant extra for precaution. Furthermore, save your seeds every year or buy them.

Snake Gourd Seed Sources
Evergreen Seeds
www.evergreenseeds.com

The Banana Tree
Easton, Pa
www.banana-tree.com

Sand Mountain Herbs
www.sandmountainherbs.com
Shipper of Indian vegetables. Need to buy a box. Also sell Donda, tindora roots.
http://www.fruits-vegetables-spices.com/ivygourd.htm/

http://www.seedsofindia.com/catalog.php These people sell all Indian seeds including Andhra Dosa kai(the yellow one) and 50 day early yield vegetable seeds suitable for short growing season.

Comments

Many people say growing snake gourds is difficult. They say they tried and gave up.

I grew 2 varieties from ever green seeds and also the short ones... One need at least 2 plants All plants must be of the same type .Early flowers may be 70% male flowers. The reason why I prefer the short ones is because if there are heavy winds the long ones break and simply fly away.

Start the seeds indoors in the first week of April. All gourds have either male or female flowers. This variety produces yields in 50 days. Ever green seeds / India seeds is a good place to get 50 day Bitter melon seeds, and egg plant varieties. I do not want to wait 75 days.

One can easily grow 15 fruits minimum per plant here Need to emphasize the need for a strong trellis again and again.
If there are No bugs or bees-there will be no pollination and no fruits either. Learn pollinating by hand.

Give them good general fertilizer. I prefer organic and compost. After 30 days change to high phosphorous fertilizer such as rose fertilizer or bulb fertilizer. If one is lucky one can easily get 40 of them. They freeze well. I have fond memories of a dish my grand mother used to make with yogurt and shredded coconut. My wife says she started hating this vegetable as her mother fed her every day for a month after she delivered our first son in India.

Since this plant is a vigorous grower, needs some good space for roots at least 2 cubic foot of soil. A friend of mine, an expert in container gardening grows it in pots. She says it needs at least a 5 gallon bucket and larger is better. Larger storage plastic tote boxes if drilled holes in the bottom work fine.

For trellis one can use the in expensive nylon strong net. It is cheap costs only 50 cents per foot and one need at least 6 feet.
Fence posts, electrical conduit pipes can be used to make a trellis.

I hope this will shorten the learning curve

Anoushka
25th September 2006, 02:08 PM
I've added a small block of achchu vellam and a few sea shells to my compost bin :) thanks for the tips! :)

Do keep posting with more tips!

venkatappiah
26th September 2006, 09:58 AM
I guess "acchu vellam "means jaggery block.

I stayed only for 3 years in Pondi for my PG in early 70s. My tamil is limited.
I lived in Andhra, Maharashtra and Karnataka.Living in the US from 74.
One can also shave with a peeler the jaggery block.It will go longway and spread farther.

Now a days have only Jasmines, Night queen and lillies apart from annuals. There are 13 different types of Jasmines, But only few are long bloomers.
I will post few more on container gardening, raised beds, square foot gardening and in detail about some plants I am growing now.

regards

venkatappiah
26th September 2006, 10:03 AM
When we started serious gardening in early eighties, after education (PG- Fellowships etc), residencies, settling in career, purchasing a house,

Started with in the ground planting on a grand scale.

Most of my colleagues are physicians. It is a kind of therapy, like having pets, growing some thing we can eat, relaxation, nostalgic memories with the plants we were associated with.

When some one asks me why you are spending so much money on gardening, I have a simple answer.

It is cheaper than playing golf, better and cheaper than having a girl friend, and gossiping.

But now we all downsized. We moved to a smaller house, smaller yard, and clay soil. Like we left our parents, my kids have their own life and me and most of friends changed to container gardening, raised bed gardening and square foot gardening. Our needs are also less. Now we grow what we like. We do not have an acre and half of garden like we did earlier. One can call it an empty nest, age syndrome.

Choosing a container. (Pot)

Containers come in different sizes and shapes.
I prefer square ones if available as there is no wastage of space like circular one. More area

I prefer to buy them when they are on sale. Usually in fall.
Containers are expensive

There are many alternatives.

Here in the US well made durable Pickle buckets from Burger King or Shoney (any restaurant) are free. Usually they throw them Garbage. Just ask the manager arrange a time so that you can pick up. They are five gallon containers.Don't get lard (animal fat buckets (to make French fries) unless you do not mind cleaning the greasy animal fat.

Large containers 10 gallon totes are selling for 3-99$ in K. Mart, Big- lots and many places. They are well made storage boxes, Round or rectangle. All one need to do make holes (Drill them)

Either in the bottom

Or

Half an inch away (UP) from the bottom. Fill the bottom with Styrofoam peanut packing chips for an inch to half an inch.
It facilitates drainage and helps in aerating the soil. The roots also can get some air.

Cover the holes with coffee filter or a piece of small cotton cloth (T-shirt).This helps in preventing the potting soil to leak out, and critters and bugs gain access

Since the containers are kept out side in the sun, gets hot, fade out-and crack- to prevent that friend mine uses e uses armor all (a cheap plastic preservative)

Size depends upon the root mass. And spread of roots.
If you want the plants to have family planning one or two fruits one can use a smaller container.

For Methi got a long tap root system. Different people pull them at different stages of growth. If you pull the plant along with the root at 6 leaf stage 6 inches deep pot is fine, or deeper if you let it grow and cut leaves and stems at 8 inches.

Cilantro (Coriander)

I do not use the seeds from Indian grocery shops. They bolt quickly (flower and seed).

I only grow Kothmeer with the seeds from
Evergreen or from Park seeds. This Dhania grows to 12-20 inches in Height, cut the leaves and side branches as you need. If allowed it will grow up to 20 Inches tall.They are not significantly different in taste from Indian coriander. I have no idea how old are the seeds sold in Indian grocery shops. These Dhania seeds are from the cultivars grown for seeds.

The seeds from parks or evergreen sources are good. Try them, you may like one more than the other. They have 4 different varieties.

But the cheaper source is the one can buy from Hispanic or Mexican grocery stores or American super markets. Cheaper in large bottles.

My first attempt at growing Coriander is a disaster. A friends father, a farmer told us to soak the seeds in warm water or crush them between both palms. The Dhania seeds are smaller than mustard seeds. The brown stuff is only a shell. They germinated fast with this method, but grew only to 6 inches, and slow.

Now we switched to cilantro seeds.
More later.

Anoushka
26th September 2006, 01:12 PM
Quite interesting! Will try and check my local BK, McD's if they have pickle bucket kind of things they throw away. I am constantly giving plants to all my friends and as a result constantly looking for pots in all sizes!

Kz
27th September 2006, 04:42 AM
Hi venkatappiah,
I enjoyed reading ur posts, waiting for more..
Is it possible to grow snake gourd in containers? how much sun light do they need?
I tried tomatoes and eggplants this yr, eggplants had poor yield, and full of insects, is it becos of growing in containers?
Kz

venkatappiah
27th September 2006, 07:36 AM
[tscii:9ed7c293d1] This is the one I use for trellis netting.

It is re usable, cheap and even hold 10 LOKI, (SORA, Doodhi, Bottle guard) and it is cheap. And it is easy to install.
http://www.enchantingsweetpeas.com/pages/supplies.html#Anchor-Trellis-41363
Trellis netting

this unobtrusive trellising supplies perfect support. Lightweight plastic netting with 6-inch squares has UV stabilizers for longer life. It can be simply attached to a wall, fence or post.Trellis comes seven feet high. Order it the length you need or cut it to suit your garden space.
Size Price
6.5'x 8' $6.25
6.5'x 12' $8.25
6.5'x 20' $10.25
6.5' x 50' $20.25

Mel’s tomato tower. Trellis frame I use

http://www.squarefootgardening.com

This is the one I use. Good for all climbers, Snake gourd to bitter melon and even tomatoes .Purchase one. Take it to the local hardware store. And ask them to give you the connectors and the pipe cut for the recommended length. These cutting charges are nominal. You save some money and shipping charges. They are reusable, you can dismantle them, store them, and take them with you wherever you or relocate. They also look good and classy.

Good source of Tindora (donda) roots-Gentlemens toes.

These plants are difficult to get although appears pricey well worth for me. Easy to propagate

1 qrt Tindora $15.00 plus $5.00 packing plus $5.95 Priority Mail $25.95 please remit a money order to A.Smith 7341 121st Terrace Nth.Largo, FL.33773 Cordially Alan
asmith2@tampabay.rr.com
He also sells pan leaves plant (beetle leaves for Thamboolam) I never tried that. But few of friends have that.
regards

[/tscii:9ed7c293d1]

venkatappiah
27th September 2006, 08:05 AM
Is it possible to grow snake gourd in containers? how much sun light do they need?

I tried tomatoes and eggplants this yr, eggplants had poor yield, and full of insects, is it becos of growing in containers?

I will post in few days.It takes time to type and need to compare with few other friends.

http://www.logees.com/

Good source for Jasmine plants and cesturnum(night queen-Raat Ki Rani).

It is also a good source for curry leaf(kari pilla, Karivepaku plants)

The stories about night queen are like this
The chineese emperors used to eat the fried flowers of Night queen before they visit the queens and courtesans.Probably it acts like a floral Viagra.

venkatappiah
27th September 2006, 08:17 AM
Greetings Anouskha

What plants you give away and what plants are popular with Indians in Dublin?

A Chinese proverb

If you want to be happy for few hours-- get a bottle and drink.
If you want to be happy for few days-- get a pig roasted.
If you want to be happy for a month or two Get married.
If you want to be married throughout your life ---do gardening!

venkatappiah
27th September 2006, 08:27 AM
[tscii:263cc6fc2d]Curry leaf plant

Murraya Koenigii (Curry Leaf plant)
The English term curry is of Indian origin: In Tamil, a South Indian language, the word kari means “soup” or “sauce”; this is also the basis of the Tamil name for curry-leaves, kariveppilai which contains ilai [ “leaf”.In Telugu another south Indian laungauge it is called as Karivepaku ( aku= means leaf).The north Indain Kari patta is an adoptation of south Indian name

The curry leaf tree comes in three different cultivars varieties and now since the last 5 years 3 new Hybrid varieties are available in India.
The New Hybridized versions grow fast, and are disease resistant, but have less flavor. These are used by market gardeners and farmers,

The Curry Leaves have strong scent and were used in Indian, Laotian, Malaysian, Sri Lankan and Cambodian and vietnameese cooking.

It is a native of South India and Sri Lanka, It spread to Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, Africa, Fiji Islands, West Indies, Suriname (South America) and now to North America.
Indians took this plant where ever they migrated (along with Tamarind, holy basil, jasmine varieties, mango ,Rajani gandha and guava Etc).It spread to Vietnam and Cambodia by Buddhist monks.
In USA the demand exceeds the supply. Now due to the recent surge in the Indian population a 6 inch plant is selling for 15 dollars an 18 inch plant sells for 40 dollars. Many nurseries are taking orders for next year.Many Americans are also growing it for the scent and it is a small compact tree in southern zsones.

It is a small tree which is a great looking in your back yard at it has great looking and aromatic leaves. The leaves look like the ones you buy at the grocery store. Dwarf variety does not grow as tall but the branches spread. Light green Leaves are the same size as the regular variety but it has an aroma of its own.
GAMTHI variety is the most fragrant very thick leaf structure but slowest of all the curry trees. All the three varieties of curry leaf plant differ in the intensity of flavor .Look at the leaf edges .The leaves without the serrated edges are the one most flavor and they are smaller and darker in color
The slowest growing small leaf one is the most fragrant one. It is available only in Tamil Nadu Sri Lanka and Kerala. In North America one can get it in the Sri Lankan Bazaar in Toronto, Canada
Used in cooking, there is nothing like picking fresh curry leaves just the right amount when you need them. This leaf extract have cholesterol reducing power. Many Sri Lankan are using this extract with little brown rice and very little milk of coconut or regular Skim milk have cooked make thick green drink (Kolakada). Many Sri Lankan are using this extract for lowering to cholesterol. Believe it is good for the stomach.

The traditional use of the curry leaf tree to treat diabetes has attracted a great deal of interest. Special compounds have been found which might make it an effective new medicine for diabetes sufferers.So far it seems to reduce the post prandial spike in blood sugar.

Growing curry leaf plant in North America and Canada
They all have one thing in common. They like full sun, very well drained soil which should be on the dry side and they need fertilizer during summer months .If you live in south it is a care free tree.

Fertilize weekly during the growing season with Peters 20-20-20.Peters fertilizers are preferred by nursery men and growers than Miracle grow as it got less salt residue.
Allow soil to dry between watering
Water( water at room temperature, not straight cold water from tap) sparingly during the winter months and do not fertilize
Ideal growing temperature 65 - 90 F
Minimal winter temperature 60 F

Propagation:

Murraya koenigii are propagated by growing the small suckers from the base of the tree, by root cutting, or by seed Propagation
If you have some very fresh curry leaves, you can try to root some as stem cuttings. Take some of the twigs which are not very floppy and green nor very hard and woody (this stage is called semi-ripe), and remove most of their lower leaves. Cut the stem cleanly at a node, and push the cutting a few centimeters into a 50/50 mix of potting compost and aquarium gravel, with about 3 leaves above the surface. You can dip it in rooting hormone available every where.

Put the cuttings in a covered pot, in a warm light place out of direct sunlight. Rooting will take about 3 weeks.In three months it will be established ready to move to a bigger pot.

Methods of separation of suckers

Insert a sharp knife about 2-4 inches around the baby plant and cut around the plant in a circle or square to divide the parallel running roots. Then move the knife under the plant and cut any remaining roots at the bottom of the plant. Once it is loose, carefully dig it out. Wet the root with water and dip it in Rooting Hormone Powder, which you can buy from a plant nursery. Then pot it in a container, using the best potting soil. Use a container about 1 gallon size. The container should have a couple of holes at the bottom for the water to escape. No need to put any stones around the hole. You may just fill the pot with the soil to the half mark. Place the baby plant in the center of the pot on top of the soil, and fill up with potting soil. Put several Styrofoam peanuts in the bottom for effective drainage. (You should do that for all tropical plants) Cover the plant with soil up to the level where it stayed under dirt. Give the plant a drink of water, and keep it either inside the house or outside in a shaded area. If you let it stand in the sun the baby plant will dry out and die. Check the soil frequently, and when dry water the plant. When you see tender leaf sprouting, the plant has established. This may take a while, for the root development takes place first.

Now you may start feeding fertilizer to the plant. For potted plant, use a water soluble fertilizer, like peters, with the composition ofNitrogen, potassium and phosphorus (13-13-13 or 20-20-20)). I prefer to give a very dilute solution half the strength as suggested by the label whenever I water the plant. When the plant grows bigger, you need to repot it in a bigger container. This can be done during the fall, so that the plant can get over the shock by the time spring approaches. Do not let the plant have many root suckers. These new plants are competing for the limited resources of space, water and fertilizers. Separate them and you can always give them to your friends.

How to care for a plant in an area where it freezes during winter:
In areas where it freezes in winter, you must bring the plant inside the house, before the first freeze. You can keep the pot near a window where it will get sunshine. You can bring it outside when the last freeze is over.

In areas, where the winter is very mild, you may plant them on the ground. But mulch the base of the plant to 4 inches during winter to be on the safe side. This will protect the roots from freezing. You may cover the plant with a thick cloth first and then a plastic cover on top, if any freeze is predicted. .
I have seen 5 feet tall plants in Anchorage, Alaska. They used a humidifier, grow lights (compact fluorescent lights 12 dollars at Wal-Mart).Even their jasmines are blooming.

Diseases

The only infestation seems to be a scale that seems systemic to the plant once it is inside for about two months. They grow on the underside of the leaves along the vein line. Initially, these scale are very small, black and almost unnoticeable because of their transparent, part of the leaf appearance. They continue to grow and multiple to such an extent that you cannot get rid of them adequately by hand. If you can not see them put a clean white paper under the leaves and shake the plant. Look for the dark granules on the paper.

On a warm winter day, at least once during our winters, I take them outside for a hand spraying of insecticidal soap and an hour or so later a water wash before bringing them in again. There is no need to use toxic Sevin or parathion...

One can also use a good non toxic spray to kill the bugs using a teaspoon of Listerine(mouthwash liquid) and few drops of dishwashing detergent to a gallon of water and spray the plant.
Some tricks; the flavor of the leaves is reduced if it grows in potting soil and miracle grow. Add some compost. The flavor comes from phosphorous and sulphor. In natural habitat sulphor is available from dead leaves and dung. But for potted plants one fourth of a teaspoonful of sulphor will enhance. Alternately one can add a teaspoonful of molasses to the water twice a year.

The soil Ph should be slightly acidic. The safest way is to add a spoon full of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water few times in a year.. One good fertilizer for aromatic plants is 2% milk instead of throwing the plastic milk can swish it with water and add it to your plants.

Occasionally one can buy 2% milk powder or skim milk powder on sale close to expiration date. This is a good nitrogen source and got some amino acids which the plants can use directly.

Grand mother’s tale. If the curry leaf plants suddenly starts grow rapidly, you may move or relocate.
collected and and from my own experience.I have all the three varieties .

[/tscii:263cc6fc2d]

venkatappiah
27th September 2006, 10:33 AM
]Tindora, Donda Kai, Kovakai

Ivy gourd, Scarlet gourd, Gentlemen’s Toes, Dondakai, Kovakai, Tendli, Telacucha Kunthru, Tinda

Coccinia grandis,

History: It is mentioned in Sanskrit early literature. The ripe fruit is called as” Bimba”

Bimbadhari “One with lips like the red ripe fruits of Bimba.”( Draupadi is supposed to be a Bimbadhari)

In Telugu literature the lips of a pretty woman are compared to DONDApandu lati pedalu(lips) like the lips of ripe donda fruit..

I got a plant in first in 1983.This plant Got a story. My friend got this plant from India in 1978.

As the customs do not allow vegetables, fruits and seeds he concealed it in his sons diaper.(baby at that time). He propagated it and gave it others.He says it is well fertilized with his sons!

Before that I asked, requested and literally begged another person, a grower to give me some rootsof Tindira plant. He refused and said “Tindora roots !No way”

It is a tropical vine grown for its small edible fruits. The may be eaten immature and green,. When the fruits mature are deep red. The young shoots and leaves may also be eaten as greens

It is a no brainier to grow in south and I saw it growing like a weed in Hawaii.

Tindora is a market crop in the Dade county, Fl, Yuma Arizona and in Southern California.

It is also imported from Dominican republic.Research is being done at Purdue University Indiana.

(Their website is a good source of information).

Several different cultivars are available varying in size from thumb to Index finger ,green, light green and green with vertical stripes and lemon green. There is no hybridization as it is easy to grow in tropics and sub tropics.Not much of documentation is available.Some of the cultivars have a different taste.Some are slightly sour(pulupu), some are slightly bitter.

Being propagated by asexual reproduction it needs adequate root mass--- At least one quart.The one which your friend gave you is probably a small root. The plant prefers to spend its energy time in developing good root structure first.

Planting to yield time. For tindora is 75 days. If the roots are well grown and if there is a small vine already formed at the time of planting it will be easier and shorter..

Few things can be done

Soak the roots in a dilute solution of rooting Hormone for half an hour

Alternately soak the roots in a solution of super thrive for an hour. For few days feed the roots with super thrive.This is what I do and it is not absolutely necessary.

For over wintering plant it in a good sized pot and give minimal amount of water. Over watering will cause root rot.

Soil for the best Growth 50% potting mix ,the rest with and compost manure.I also add a generous amount of vermiculite.

Add to the mix a table spoonful of garden lime. Feed it regularly with peters 20/20/20 or 13/13/13 at half 1/3 strength initially to give it a boost. I add to the soil rose or bulb fertilizer or garden tone.Phosphorous is needed for flower and fruit production.

I do not use Miracle grow as some people say it gives a metallic taste. I am a semi organic gardener..Needs sun and make a trellis. It can be grown in containers like 10 gallon tote which one can get it K-mart.Please note US 3 gallon is equal to 3.3 liters. Imperial gallon in Europe is higher

The best way to winterize plant is keep it in a Styrofoam Ice chest sold for 3 dollars.at Gas stations .Make holes in the bottom for drainage.Styro Foam cooler chests are cheap and also Insulates.Plastic containers do not insulate. This way youminimize the risk of loosing a plant. in winter

Any one can grow it in south. But some addle work is needed.if you live in North..

Propagation

It is easy. I layer some of the branches in a pot, cover it with soil and put some stones on that.I also use propagation chamber for stem cuttings.

Propagate them and give them to your friends.You wont have to say like Mr. Patel in 1983 ”Tindora.No way”

You can buy this from this source. They sell good plants

http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/tropicaltrees2.htm

[/tscii:657fd8ad3b]

venkatappiah
29th September 2006, 09:45 AM
[tscii:712296eff4]Growing egg plants and snake gourd in containers

Seeds: I buy the early varieties.50 day from transplanting to fruit production.

In the year 2005 a new award winning egg plant resistant to disease, with great yields is available. I have not yet tried that. Available from tomato grower’s website.

I most often give the seeds to the local green house, they charge a nominal amount. I give them 32 OZ Jumbo soft drink Styrofoam cups Fill it up with a seed starting mix. I do not like the small plastic seed starting trays. I want the plant to have a well established root system to be ahead in the game.

How many plants?

These are broad generalizations with the usual disclaimer. Two egg plant plants per person are enough. Your mileage may vary
2 Snake gourd plants per a family of two are more than enough.
Snake gourd is a vigorous grower with large leaves. Takes space.
Needs trellis. Due to shade other plants may not get sun light.

Which type of snake gourd?
The new short variety.

The long 4 feet variety raises the curiosity of passers by. They break and get damaged easily if there is heavy rain with windstorm, Thunders, tornado and what not. One year all the long Snake gourd fruits broke in to pieces and flew away.

One can expect 25-35 fruits per 2 plants. I give the extra ones to only those people who can say thanks. It is my time and labor. No thanks or a word of appreciation nothing next year.

Size of containers 5 gallon planters or 10 gallon totes 4 dollars at K-mart.
For some reason I have no explanation 2 plants in a 10 gallon container give better yields than a single plant in a five gallon container.

I have 2 plants of the same variety to help in pollination.
One US gallon equals 3.3 Liters. Imperial gallon is much larger.

Preparing the containers.

Containers need drainage wholes at least of the size of a 10 cent coin 5 of them for 5 gallons 8 of them for 10 gallons. The roots need Oxygen, and the roots should not be drowned and water should not stagnate.

If one wishes to prevent cracking of the plastic containers from hot sun, one can give a coat of armor all a plastic preservative.
One can cover the drainage wholes with a piece of cotton cloth, paper coffee filter or a mesh so that solid will not leak out.
Drainages holes can be in the bottom or in the sides half an inch to quarter of an inch from the bottom.

Fill the bottom with half inch layer of Styrofoam peanut packing chips.

continue later.
[/tscii:712296eff4]

venkatappiah
30th September 2006, 08:20 AM
[tscii:7f6e78e615]Egg plants in containers

They do look attractive specially the slender green, white and purple varieties. There is no need to hide them in the back of the house.
They can be placed in the front along with flowering plants. The slender versions are better and more suitable for containers than the large oval heavy egg plants.

To be ahead in the game

Start them in the home 2 months early or
as mentioned before give the seeds Etc to a green house.
Be sure to harden off the seedlings.
Be sure the soil in the containers is warm. Cover the soil in the container with a black plastic (garbage bag) so that the soil will get warm.
If the night temperatures for some reasons drop down,
Or if there is heavy rain, thunder storm cover them with a plastic sheet or bring the container to a shelter (I wish I could do that with snake gourd, bitter melon etc)

Harvesting

Pick them ahead of time.
The outer skin should be glossy and shiny.
If it is dull it is past its time.
Put your finger on the fruit and press it hard. If you can make a depression and if the depression stays the same it is tender.

Use sharp scissors or a knife, cut them with a part of the stem.
Do not yank them off.

Even if one fruit sets the seed the plant will slow down.
Keep the planter elevated. Not directly on the soil. See the bugs do not gain access through the drainage holes. One can also place a garbage bag (plastic) under the container.

Initially to keep and make the soil warm, one can use aluminum foil as a mulch surrounding the plant .It will reflect light also. Cheap aluminum foil or shiny gift film (not paper) wrap will do. Being smooth some bugs may not be able crawer penetrate on it. Later mulch it with wood chips. Some of my friends use white rock (pebbles) they get warm during the day and radiate heat at night.

Egg plants are bitter. Why?
Are they are like hydrogen gas, colorless odorless and tasteless?

Uneven watering. Not adequate water when the fruits are set.
Excessive use of chemical
Fertilizers. Some people believe MG gives a metallic taste. Flavor depends upon phosphorous, sulphur and minerals.

Bugs, Beetles, aphid’s potato beetles,Tobaco mosaic virus.
You may not be able to avoid them totally, but you can manage them successfully (every thing under control.). I have all of them here, but keep them under control.
About fertilizers and bug control I will post later.
Generally healthy plants are not affected by the bugs; even if they are attacked they can recover fast.

Over crowding. Not enough of air circulation, wetting the plant in the evening. If the leaves get wet they attract bugs. If wetting the leaves is unavoidable, water the plants in the mornings so that they can dry of quickly..

I do foliar feed the plants, but that is a different game.
Using the garden soil and not using the planting mix. Excessive use of Nitrogen. I do not use any chemical pesticides. We grow them to eat them and not to sell them.

[/tscii:7f6e78e615]

Anoushka
2nd October 2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks Venkatappiah :)

I give out Tulsi plants, strawberry plants, mint plants, rose cuttings and a few cactii varieties to my Indian and non Indian friends :)

I grow mint, cabbage, manathakkaLi keerai (a variety of green), tarragon, beet root, mEthi, French beans, mustard, tomato, corriander...

and my flowering plants include Rose, jaathi malli (Jasmine), kanakambaram, sweet williams, sweet pea, mari gold, sun flower, forget me not, dahlia, and few bulbs like tulips, daffodils, etc

Plus I grow a lot of cactii..

dev
2nd October 2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Venkatappiah :)

I give out Tulsi plants, strawberry plants, mint plants, rose cuttings and a few cactii varieties to my Indian and non Indian friends :)

I grow mint, cabbage, manathakkaLi keerai (a variety of green), tarragon, beet root, mEthi, French beans, mustard, tomato, corriander...

and my flowering plants include Rose, jaathi malli (Jasmine), kanakambaram, sweet williams, sweet pea, mari gold, sun flower, forget me not, dahlia, and few bulbs like tulips, daffodils, etc

Plus I grow a lot of cactii..

Anou,

:thumbsup:

Enaku 4 mint & money plant-a valarkarathukulla pothum pothumnu aagiduthu... :roll:

Anoushka
2nd October 2006, 03:50 PM
dev: I love gardening :) athu ennamO namma thOtathu kai samachu saapidurathula iruka santhOshame thani :)

But athukku space-um vENume, neenga apartment-la irukirathunaala athu kashtam illaya?

Kz
2nd October 2006, 08:35 PM
Thankyou Venkatappiah for the detailed explanation abt growing snakegourd in containers.
Kz

dev
3rd October 2006, 06:47 AM
dev: I love gardening :) athu ennamO namma thOtathu kai samachu saapidurathula iruka santhOshame thani :)

But athukku space-um vENume, neenga apartment-la irukirathunaala athu kashtam illaya?

That's true... aamam, aprt thaan iruken... have a decent sized balcony... so konjam pots vechu irukken...athula appapo mint, cori, methi-nu try pannuven... aanal ethuvum sariyay valaralai... guess it's time I change the soil...

venkatappiah
3rd October 2006, 10:42 AM
[tscii:b83a818ef7]
Jasmines

http://toptropicals.com/This is probably the best source for buy Jasmine plants. They have all of them. Their plants are excellent and they ship overseas.

Their instructions for growing Jasmines are superb and I follow them literally to the word. Their plants are better than what we can purchase from some Indian vendors.

You will find instructions for growing jasmines here.
http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/shrubs/jasminum_sambac.htm#faq

If you look in the alphabetical list under J you will find a list of jasmines.
I also have Night queen (cestrum, Raat ki Rani).

With some reluctance my wife accepted Night queen. Now she feels fine with night queen. Her cousin sister died from snake bite (cobra) when she was picking up some flowers from night queen plant in India. (University professor’s quarters. - Not in a rural area).

I used to have few cacti before, but my better half and her friends ganged up upon me showing me some feng shui books, growing plants with thorns and shap pricky edges brings bad luck and sorrow. She won(most of the time she wins).

I do grow the dwarf variety of marigold plants next to vegetables in containers as they look pretty and marigold roots are toxic to nematodes in the soil and keep the soil healthy.
She developed a kind of phobia and dislike for Night queen for a short time.

If some one asks me what jasmines you prefer.
Giving ranking on the basis of fragrance, hardiness, long time blooming. Not growing rampant and easy to propagate I prefer jasmine samba(Jasmine arabicum), the common Indian Jasmine
(jathi Malli),

cestrum(night queen) and Jasmine Grand duke of Tuscany.
I prefer the new hybrid form as it produces a bunch of flowers some times as big as a rose with good fragrance.
One can raise some jasmines from seeds also.

Carolina jasmine and Madagascar Jasmine from Park seeds (five seeds for 3 dollars)

Easy to grow but they are second in rank, to the above.
Jasmines are easy to propagate. I used to propagate them by the traditional soil layering technique.

That is keeping a branch in potting soil (bend it, in a pot) and putting some rocks on it as a weight. One should keep at least 2 nodes for about 2 months here in USA zone 6.

Now I switched to an easier, failure proof, cheap propagation chamber. If any one is interested I will post a link and my experience with it. It takes about 20 minutes to make one, easy all you need is a shoe box9sweater box 2-3 dollars), seed starter mix and a clay pot without a hole( deepavali pramida-the one in which we put oil and light a wick)

This year I propagated about 11 plants. Next year more they will go my friends and to the temple for fund raising (take one and drop a five dollar bill in the Hundi).

The common mistakes are using garden soil in pots, instead of good potting soil, over watering and using a big pot at the first instance rather than changing the pots as they grow. And improper high nitrogen fertilizers.

The lilies(indian Rajani Gandha, single tuberose) are disappointing.
Short blooming time.Need to bring inside the home and dry the roots .

[/tscii:b83a818ef7]

Anoushka
3rd October 2006, 02:24 PM
Dev: try changing the soil, adding compost or some plant food :) I used to do container gardening when I was in an apartment too.

Actually that is when I discovered that Tulsi plant stem is strong only if there is some amount of soil in addition to the compost in the pot! :)

dev
4th October 2006, 07:12 AM
Will try it out, Anou... thanks a lot...:)

venkatappiah
4th October 2006, 10:19 AM
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0321395926870.html?75

This thread gives good information about container mixes.

It is oriented to North American gaderners.Vermiculite, perlite, organic planter mixes (soil less) are available in US, but may not be else where.

In my case reverse,We down sized very thing.
Moved from big house to small house, from huge, an acre and half garden to square foot garden (raised beds)

And container gardening. The needs are much less. Decision to spend not more than an hour and half per week in garden etc.
This seems to be the case with most of us living in US from early seventies.

Even becoming creative Oat meal dosa, Ragi and Jowar dosa (complex carbohydrates) Gave up traditional use of rice,No more fried food, changed to using virgin olive oil etc.

Kz
9th October 2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Venkatappiah,
I used to visit that site often, but never able to find pine bark fines, so left the idea of making my own container soil mixes. Can i reuse the potting mix ? or should i buy new mix every year? can i mix some compost to the old potting mix and reuse it next yr?

venkatappiah
10th October 2006, 03:05 AM
[tscii:1c974e747e]One can rejuvenate the soil once or twice. I think the key is drainage. Does it drain the water well or the roots get drowned in water?

If the plant is grown in the container is infected with bugs and fungus I discard it. Add the compost. Pile The soil will carry the eggs and spores.
Once or twice I rejuvenate it.

This is what I do.

Take the soil out empty the container on a large trash bag.
Wash the container. If the drainage holes are small I enlarge it. I cover the holes in the bottom with a coffee filter or a mesh so that the soil won’t wash out.

To prevent the plastic cracking out, I just wipe with Armor all a plastic preservative.

I break the soil in the container add one fourth manure, little new planting mix add fertilizer add some lime usually garden lime, gypsum or crushed sea shells.keep it loose add water little and cover with a transparent plastic. The soil gets heated and the bioavailability will increase if one does it in the fall.

In a soil I grew members of Solanacea such as peppers, tomato and egg plants, I grow some other plants again, but I will not grow these plants again till I change the soil completely.

Usually I buy this Stuff from large nurseries or green houses. It is cheaper, if you buy a large bag. You get three times more for twice the price. They do not have any fancy printing, Just plain white bags.

Where are you located ?
[/tscii:1c974e747e]

Kz
10th October 2006, 05:32 AM
I am located in NJ, searched the homedepot and few nurseries here for pine bark fine to make Al's potting mix. now i have 1 big bag of MG, it does drain well. i will add some compost,lime and gypsum to it.

I want to bring mint indoors and grow some greens( fenugreek) indoors for the winter.

venkatappiah
10th October 2006, 08:27 AM
you will add only either lime or gypsum. one of these 2, not both.
Fenu greek will grow easily.
wall mart got grow lamp for 15 dollars including the fixture.
I lived for 3 years 1977 in west orange, New Jersey.

venkatappiah
10th October 2006, 09:21 AM
This is what I do with Methi.Feel free to improvise it.

I use Indian grocery purchased methi ( fenugreek)seeds. Soak then in warm water. If water gets cold I change it, soak over night.
I use large sweater boxes, not very tall about 2 dollars each in wall mart, Dollar stores, big lots etc. I use three of them. Successive planting once in every 2 weeks. Methi looks like a lot, but when cooked, it looks smaller.

When thinning I pull them with roots or I cut them with scissors. In winter I water only with warm water and I use either a fluorescent light or grow light.

Still in January and Feb the growth rate is slow. I use any organic fertilizer, gardentone, plant tone etc. some times peters.

It is a pleasure to some thing growing in winter months.
In winter I use aluminum baking pan, the one made up of aluminum foil as a a tray. It reflects light.

Kz
11th October 2006, 07:50 PM
Thankyou Venkatappiah, will try methi as u say. I thought of keeping the plants near a southeast facing window, which has plenty of sunlight. if that doesn't work then will get a grow light.

Did u try making ur own potting mix? how is the result?

venkatappiah
11th October 2006, 10:27 PM
Just simplified every thing.
I use potting mix purchased from a nursery,
Add some compost (manure), some vermiculite or pearlite, some organic fertilizer usually epsoma brand available every where (I buy at Lowes). Give a boost with peters once or twice.
The results are 95% as good as the best complicated practices.

Kz
12th October 2006, 08:47 PM
Thankyou !

Kz
Thankyou !

Kz
Thankyou !

venkatappiah
3rd November 2006, 03:45 AM
[tscii:0478f7eca4]Growing lilies.

These are the same fragrant tubular white flowers with which people make garlands. In North India they call it as Rajani Gandha.
Even my four year old grand son identified them in a movie (satellite when the hero and heroine dance in the fields of lilies flowers).

He said these are the same flowers we have!

I have mixed feelings about this. Sure they have a glorious intoxicating Fragrance. Perhaps that is the reason why they make garlands during marriages and decorate the nuptial bed. They bloom once some times twice a year.

This is called as Mexican tuberose and there are 2 varieties, single and double. I only grew the single variety and this year it bloomed twice. It needs lots water, sun and good rose fertilizer. In colder areas one needs to get the bulbous roots inside dry them and store them. Or move the pot inside.

It is a tough call like Kankambaram, great nostalgic value. The show lasts only for a week to two weeks.My wife likes them and that is all that matters.It is also the national flower of Bangla desh

http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=SP&page=2
Polianthes tuberosa, ‘MEXICAN SINGLE’ TUBEROSE
You can get them from here. This is not the cheapest place, but the bulbs are larger and bigger. Some of the e-bay sources are not that good as they are smaller roots.

The old house gardens. Send good instructions. There are other cheaper sources but I have not tried them. Easy to grow in containers put 3 of them together. The stem needs to be stalked as it grows tall.

I can smell them even when I am in the garage.
May be if you get them you will recollect your early days of marriage!
[/tscii:0478f7eca4]

venkatappiah
3rd November 2006, 10:19 AM
CROSSANDRA kanakambaram fire cracker plant
(Crossandra infundibuliformis)

Kanakambaram is an important flower crop grown on a commercial scale in south India. Grown in many homes. For most of us settled in US it is a nostalgic flower. You see them in south India, Malaya and Sri Lanka.Jasmine and kanakabaram are used in making a mala through out south. Most of my Indian friends have them.

Seed sources
One can get the yellow red and the orangish flower cultivar seeds from EBay Just go to E-bay and type crossandra.

Easy to grow as an annual and in southern, warmer part of USA as a perennial .Can is planted in the ground and grown in containers. Varieties

The common variety is the one producing orange-colored flowers. Varieties producing yellow flowers are also grown home gardens. These are perennials and are propagated by cuttings or seed. The seed got a short life, but better than curry leaf. I obtained my first seeds from India and later from my friends in Florida.

Seedlings can be transplanted in to the ground. Seeds can be sown directly in the soil if the temperature is warm. Most of the time it reseeds it self even in my zone 6. It is declared as a weed in the state of Utah. Great house plant, too! When you put water on the seed pods of this plant, they POP out, sometimes as far away at 12 feet!

When I was a kid I used to put the seed pods in the mouth wet it with saliva and have fun. Hence the name fire cracker plant in Florida, Texas etc it grows like a weed.

Seeds and Sowing

Seeds are sown in /may June when the weather gets warm Vigorous growth of the seedlings can be promoted by applying week starter solution or 1/4th strength miracle grow. twice a week. The seedlings are transplanted at a spacing of 30-50 cm. The seedlings will be ready for transplanting with in40- 50-days after sowing. in cold climates

Manures and Fertilizers

Mixing cow manure /compost /humus to the posting soil is good enough. I do add some rose fertilizer or bulb fertilizer to all my potting mixes for fruits or flowers and feed nitrogen only through fish emulsion or miracle grow.
Yield

from the second/third month after planting. . Flowers will be available for picking for 5 months in a year for us USA zone 6.I like to have them in partial shade and not in full sun.

Anoushka
3rd November 2006, 04:05 PM
Last time when I came back from India I brought a tiny little kanakambaram plant from home... now I have a four feet plant sitting in a tiny pot in my living room and it is begining to flower... I wonder what temperatures it will withstand and if I can plant it on the ground outside in winter?

venkatappiah
3rd November 2006, 10:58 PM
[tscii:e45240f72f]Lift the pot of kanakambaram.Look at the drainage holes.
If you see the roots, it needs repotting in to a bigger pot.

Since this Kanakambaram plant grew to 48 inches, it got a good/great vegetative growth.
It needs help at blooming time as blooming and fruiting needs lot of energy.
Change to a high phosphorous fertilizer. The one with a higher middle number (NPK).

My plants died down in winter. Here the temp can go down to Minus five (F).
Few years it came back. Once the seeds that fell germinated in spring.
I won’t plant it outside. I preserve the seeds or a plant inside my home.(Safety precaution)

Kanakambaram is very easy to propagate from stem cuttings and from seeds. Little rooting compound will help.
Now I have about 10+ jasmine cuttings in my propagation chamber. Some will go the temple and some to my friends.

When you go Madras try to get the seeds of pink variety, and the new hybrid Delhi...Here the plants are available, expensive about 20 dollars, but not the seeds.

Watch out for bulb sales. At the end of season one can get them for half price.
[/tscii:e45240f72f]

Anoushka
4th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Thank you very much :)

I will be going to Madras in December and I will surely look out for the seeds of pink ones.

I should do something about my jasmine plant too... Loads of friends have asked for jasmine cuttings... when is the right time do do propagation of jasmine?

venkatappiah
5th November 2006, 10:20 AM
[tscii:9a8a27b5b2]The ideal time is spring and summer.

The soil layering technique takes more time and it is cumbersome. That is bending the stem in to the soil in another pot. Put some rocks for weights.

Propagation chamber technic is easy and one can do dozen or more at a time.

I also do it when it is the time to cut back the jasmines if they are over grown. This time I propagated on September 20th.They are rooted now, but I will wait for another 2-3 weeks.

It works 95% of the time. My failures are with Tindora (gentlemen’s toes-Donda- Ivory gourd) now. But I will succeed in spring.
I have grow lamps and my jasmines are blooming now also.
[/tscii:9a8a27b5b2]

Anoushka
5th November 2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your reply :) my jasmine is blooming at the moment too... :)

dsath
6th November 2006, 03:21 PM
I am not a gardening enthusiast, but your posts are quiet an inspiration to get started. I am going to India late this month, do you have any recommendations as to what seeds, saplings i can get from India and how to get started during winter months (hope this is not a bad time to start).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

venkatappiah
7th November 2006, 10:59 AM
Many of us grow plants with which we are familiar, have a nostalgic value, which are edible, for the sake of their looks. It is a great pleasure to watch them grow. It is a good way to wind up from tensions.

.I still remember the first plant I planted as a PG student at Jipmer, Pondicherry a karela (bitter melon) and marigolds. It was a pleasure then and a pleasure now even after 35 years.

Most of the people are willing to share their knowledge base... There is always some one who grew successfully a difficult plant or got more yields.
I heard recently of a lady who got 50 egg plants from one single plant grown in container. I called her and she happily shared her methodology.
The common plants which most Indian homes have in the mid west section of USA are
Curry leaf plant. Nothing like the aroma of fresh curly leaf
Methi is to grow healthy leafy greens.
Coriander Dhania is easy to grow.
Tulasi Plants
Marigolds and Chrysanthemums. We like them and use them for sravana sukravara varalakshmi pooja
Jasmines ever blooming and for their fragrance.
Nostalgic flowers like kankambaram,

Optional depending upon your interested. Lilies, some of my friends have Nandi vardhanam, and parijatham, some even glow pan leaves (betel leaves)

Vegetables of all kinds
This is apart from s other plants such as four o clocks, snap dragons, moss rose, day lilies, oriental lilies, roses etc.
There is no end.
Start some thing small. From the basic list. One can grow them in containers or in Grow bags.
What to grow
Consult your better half. I grow many plants for her. This year she wanted me to grow sweet bell and banana peppers. Next year I will plant a dozen of them.
The plants can not talk or walk. We need to supply them and watch for the signals they give. Their basic needs are good soil, fertilizer, water and sun light PLUS TLC.

Anoushka
7th November 2006, 02:05 PM
I brought an orchid from back home! I've been told that they do not surive on soil, so I have a pot filled with "thEngai naaru" as in coir and some stones and add a few drops of water every few weeks.. what do I do to make it grow big and bloom? :)

Thanks in advance...

Anoushka
7th November 2006, 02:07 PM
I am not a gardening enthusiast, but your posts are quiet an inspiration to get started. I am going to India late this month, do you have any recommendations as to what seeds, saplings i can get from India and how to get started during winter months (hope this is not a bad time to start).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

dsath: If you are going to Madras then try out the horticultural society of India (opposite drive-in Woodlands)... they have plenty of seeds. I got a few flowering plant seeds and a few veg seeds from them, lady's finger and green beans came out very well... the lady's finger plants got eaten by the slugs but had plenty of green beans from the plants :)

dsath
7th November 2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks Anou. I am at Chennai for only a day and have got 3 cousins and a friends home to visit (yep i am going to eat 4 meals on that day) plus 2 temples, so i won't have time for the horticulture society. May be i will have to try and find some place in Madurai.
I would love to grow a curry leaf plant in my garden (my favorite herb) - is this seed or sapling and do you think it can grow during winter.

Anoushka
7th November 2006, 04:03 PM
dsath: Jn seems to be able to grow curry plant in US without any problem (though it is done in a pot and brought in for winter :) ) Curry plant seeds should be available if you or anyone you know has a curryplant tree at home... I tend to bring the saplings each time... the plant survives for a few months and then wilt away, I am yet to find out what I am doing wrong!

venkatappiah
8th November 2006, 12:05 AM
Anoushka /dsath

If one is visiting India probably one can take adequate precautions for Dengue fever and chicken gunya.
One Doctor I know who runs free surgical eye clinics in Madurai every year for 3 weeks, died from Chicken gunya 2 months ago. He is from KY and it came in the local news papers.

One can take chloroquin prophylactic ally and there are some homeopathic medications (supposed to work).You can check with your local physicians.

About orchids.

I have no experience with them. I had couple of them several years back. I only used orchid mix. I do not even remember now.

Curry leaf plants;

People have them even in Alaska.
Pot them and do not use any soil. Use good potting mix and slow release fertilizer. Do not fertilize till the roots establish. Some folks use unused wet baby diapers when transporting plants to keep the roots moist.

Anoushka
8th November 2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the tips :)

dsath
8th November 2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks venkatappiah. Went to the doctor's today to get some travel vaccinations for the kids, the only precaution is to prevent mosquito bites.
Using repellants with DEET is generally advised.
The following link has some tips on using repellants.
http://www.pmra-arla.gc.ca/english/consum/insectrepellents-e.html

The websites below are for general precautions recommended by the NHS.
www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk
www.nathnac.org

venkatappiah
11th November 2006, 10:57 AM
http://www.rain-tree.com/bitmelon.htm

Bitter melon,kakara, karela
Mahatyam.

I do like them nnd grow them.Ithe above link is a good source to learn the medicinal value of karela,bitter melon

chefvasu
21st December 2006, 12:44 AM
I have curry leaf plants in the pot and since I moved Chicago to Orlando, I'm keeping plant outside. I noticed that plant is cover with some black color. I can see the black color around the stems and on the leaves too. I spread some bug spray but still I can see the black around the plant.

Can you please suggest me something?

venkatappiah
24th December 2006, 12:36 AM
The black spot is usually fungal .You can keep a clean white paper underneath the plant and gently shake it. Do you see any block muck or bugs on the paper?

This spreads from one plant to another plant.
When did you repot the plant? I hope you used a soil less container mix.

Now Lowe got Safers spray on sale. It works
Get some corn meal and sprinkle some on the top of the soil. Corn meal got some fungicidal properties.

Suja Rajkumar
30th January 2007, 09:26 PM
Hi,
does anyone know the botanical names for our keerai varieties, like poonaganni, Seeru keerai etc.Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Suja

ayeshasadique
6th February 2007, 02:08 PM
PONNANGANNI - alternanthera sessilis

ayeshasadique
6th February 2007, 02:24 PM
siru keerai - amaranthus polygonoides

agathi keerai - sesbania grandiflora

mulai keerai - amaranthus spinosus

arai keerai - amaranthus tristis

Suja Rajkumar
6th February 2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks a bunch Ayesha.

Suja Rajkumar

venkatappiah
6th February 2007, 11:13 PM
This is a very useful posting.difficult to obtain information.some varities of keera are available in US from India seeds.com

Suja Rajkumar
11th February 2007, 12:51 AM
Hi venkatappiah,
Can you kindly post the right way to start egg-plant,snake gourd, bittermelon seeds, indoors. Is there a right time and soil medium for the seeds to sprouts. Please share your thoughts. I live in the mid-west, so our summer is only 3-4 months. Thanks for your help.

Suja Rajkumar

venkatappiah
11th February 2007, 05:35 AM
Best to start with 50-55 day early maturing seeds.
They are available here from Evergreen seeds and seeds of India.
Raise more plants than you need,
Some seeds will not germinate.
Select the healthy plants.
I assume your last frost date is around May 15th. Start the seeds indoor 2 months before.
Jiffy seed mix starting medium is available at Lowes and wall mart.

Keep them in the warmest part of the house. Or on the top of refrigerator. When they come up take them to a sunny place in the house. Water them lightly.
Harden the plants for a week at the planting time.
If you can contact me through e-mail I can give my phone number.
Regards

venkatappiah
12th February 2007, 11:49 AM
[tscii:53a999beb6]Grow s all the vegetables liked by all the members of family.
No point in growing bitter melon if spouse hates it.

Do not plant too much. In my beginning gardening years I planted many bottle gourd plants and I had 500+ fruits. I fed all my friends and their relatives.
Select some vegetables which you can freeze and store for winter months.

Prepare your soil
.select the type of gardening
Containers, raised beds, or traditional row planting?
Dig, purchase humus, compost, and mix with the soil.

Arrange with some friends who will water your plants if you go for vacation, trip to India Etc.
Select sunny areas. / plan for trellis for the vines to climb.
Get a pair of gardening shoes (sneakers will do), and tools with which you feel comfortable.
Inter plant (companion planting) One can plant dwarf French marigolds, tulasi, coriander, Methi etc.
Gardening is not brain surgery. After a couple of seasons. –you will do very well and become an expert, but it is a life long learning process.
[/tscii:53a999beb6]

Suja Rajkumar
13th February 2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your reply. Your help is much appreciated.

Suja Rajkumar

Sanguine Sridhar
13th February 2007, 12:14 PM
Hi,

In my house(open top) we have 'avarai kodi(kozhi avarai)'. Whether we need to give any special care for it? because it is giving less amount of avarai's(very few) comparing to the rate of growth of the plant.Kindly suggest some good ideas to increase the productivity.

Thanks,
Sridhar

sundararaj
13th February 2007, 03:46 PM
Good thread.

venkatappiah
14th February 2007, 12:59 AM
Plant growth is of 2 different types.

Anionic growth; the plant grows, elongation of stem and more leaves. This occurs in the early stages. Plants grow well if they have lot of nitrogen (over supply)

Cationic growth. Flowering and fruit formation- Yield.
If one supplies adequate phosphorous they will change from growth stage to fruiting and flowering stage.

This happens with tomatoes, jasmines Etc. The plants look great, happy and healthy. But no fruits or flowers!
Hence the fertilization for leafy vegetables (spinach, methi etc) is different from the plants you grow for flowers or fruits.
Over watering is also one reason. Add some high phosphorous fertilizer (rose to, tomatoes)
I am not very much familiar with the word 'avarai kodi(kozhi avarai)
English name or botanical name will of help

Suja Rajkumar
14th February 2007, 02:42 AM
Hi,
Avaraikai is similar to hyacinth beans or pappdi in U.S.

Suja Rajkumar

venkatappiah
15th February 2007, 09:52 AM
[tscii:8cff92bf44]Square foot gardening (raised beds). Supplies.
These are the ones I tried. They worked for me. But the usual disclaimers apply.

The first year is apparently expensive.But then on-----!Not much.

http://www.bluegrassgardenbeds.com/store/home.php?cat=282
I purchased 4 feet beds and 2 feet from them. They have 12 inches height beds. For me that is an advantage as they have more depth. And Ideal.
They have 20 % discount. When you check out in the discount section enter
” garden club”. That is the code.
If this does not work call them. There are no shipping charges. They are made up of cypress wood. Last long. Do home work before., with the sizes , and what you want to grow in them.

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/ViewSimpleSearch2-Start
On this page there are products I tried.
Grow bed 39$. 3 feet square and good 10 inches height.

I have one. This is made up of plastic. Made in England. Easy to assemble like the above, cheaper. Since it is made up of plastic some may raise questions about durability. Up to 4 years no problem.

Stackable joints from gardener’s com
They are 15 dollars per pair. For a bed one needs 4 of them.
That is 30 dollars for a 6 inches height bed. One can get the lumbar cheaply at Lowe’s; usually they have half length pieces for 2 dollars.

Copper A frame trellis
http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/ViewSimpleSearch2-Paging?RefinementType=&=&=&=&=&=&PageableName=Products&PageNumber=0

This needs to be anchored with a cheap rebar. Otherwise it will fly away due to wind. This is some what light weight stuff. Good for bitter melon, cokes, tindora etc. but not for doodhi, (bottle guard) and snake gourd.

This does not come with trellis netting. The trellis netting supplied by the square foot gardening is the best. I buy it 30 foot length from some other sources as there is no handling charge.
If this link is too long, just go to gardeners supply and type in the search forum –trellis-

The cheapest way is to buy fence posts from Lowe’s about 3 dollars each and use the trellis net. It works but O.K to look at.
Gardeners supply gives a coupon for 50 dollars and above purchases 20 dollar coupon.
The coupons can be found easily by Google search. Simply type “coupons garden supply”

Lilies. (Rajani Gandha) Tuberose.

Single tuberoses are reliable. Cheaper from this source.About a dollar for each plant.
http://www.eflowergarden.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=51
They have 20 dollars minimum order.
[/tscii:8cff92bf44]

venkatappiah
15th February 2007, 10:41 AM
[tscii:9e90881a9a]Growing Methi, cilantro(Dhania)

The seeds will germinate faster if soaked in water.
Slightly warm-not cold water from tap) for a day.
In general the seeds from Indian grocery stores produce week, miserable looking cilantro buy from parks or Evergreen seeds. One variety of seeds for kothimeer from parks produces plants which are 24 inches in tall. Cilantro does not need full sun.
This year I tried in the winter at home but no luck after November.
Growing in containers with successive plants is easy for me. I use Dollar general stores large shoe boxes or swimming pool planters from Lowe’s available in swimming pool section from 5 dollars 13 dollars. They are of large size (24 inches) and 7 inches depth. (Good for growing Keera also)
Parks is also a good source to buy Kanakambaram seeds.
The Indian stores chilies germinate well. I buy red chilies (whole) and crush them. The seeds will drop and germinate.
[/tscii:9e90881a9a]

Sanguine Sridhar
16th February 2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks Guys!

venkatappiah
17th February 2007, 10:39 AM
[tscii:be2348e3e6]Horizonherbs.com.

Is a well known supplier of herbs in USA.
Usual standard disclaimers apply.

For those living in southern California and warmer zones
Amla seeds (usirica)

Bitter melon seeds (karela) the one they have take long time to fruit. I prefer the early varieties from Evergreen

Coriander seeds. The one I purchased from parks grew to 18 inches. This one they claim it can grow to 2 feet tall...I grew them in shoe boxes. They say can grow to 3 feet in good soil. I will try this season.

Curry leaf plants 15-00$. Seeds 4-50 per packet. I never raised curry leaf plants from seed. But heard they can grow and germinate after the month of May.

Hindu Marigold: They claim this is the authentic Indian old fashioned Marigold 2-3 feet tall
In my vegetable beds I grow dwarf 9 inches tall French dwarf variety and tulasi plants.
Marigold and Tulsi plants are supposed to be auspicious.

Edible purslane: Portulaca oleracea’ I prefer the seeds from seeds of India as they have slightly different taste. I have not tried this variety

Krishna tulasi seeds(also called as shyam tulasi )I like this one and the Lakshmi Tulasi from SV temple from Tirupathi.

One new variety which I will try this year. The seed source is from Vrindavan, Mathura, and birth place of Lord Krishna.
[/tscii:be2348e3e6]

venkatappiah
24th February 2007, 11:10 AM
[tscii:d3010cc18a]Growing Yellow Andhra Dosa Kaya (cucumber)
Applies to all cucumbers.

This from the collective experience of my friends and also some additional information I learnt from a commercial grower in India.
Cucumber got a tap root and lateral roots. The tap room is the main root that grows deep. If we grow them in plastic trays during transplanting how ever careful we are the tap root (main root) gets torn-breaks away and then we do not get full yields.

There are 2 ways

1) Raise the seeds in Styrofoam cups. Choose the large size. Make drainage holes in the bottom. Raise the seeds inside the home. Before transplanting outside water the plant thoroughly. With a sharp blade cut the sides and with care plant it.
2) Second method
3) Warm the soil. Cover the soil with black plastic. Plant the seeds directly cover them lightly with soil.
Germination will be faster if the seeds are kept in a wet napkin for a day...

There are different kinds of Dosa kaya. The yellow cuke seeds which one can buy in wall-mart etc are not the real Andhra cumber seeds. In the US one can get them from seeds of India.com
Even India there are different cultivars. Some are small, some are light green, pale some are sour, some newer hybrids though they grow Very large taste like Styrofoam.

In containers. My friend is a very successful container Gardner. She gets as much yields as mine.

She uses 10 gallon totes on sale now at K mart 7 dollars per two. Other wise $3-95.

She grows Tindora (Donda- Gentlemen’s toes, Ivory gourd)), tomatoes every thing in them.

Makes drainage holes at the bottom(many) she uses Stay green potting mix available at Lowe’s(buy the largest bag-it is cheaper) adds some garden tone or plant tome fertilizer by epsoma(available at many garden centers, including lowes) occasionally gives some miracle grow at half strength. Or fish emulsion.

Raised beds 6 inches) as above is as below. The root system is as large as the above ground growth. Space them 12 inches apart. I use 12 inch raised beds. Give a chance for the lateral roots to spread.

In the soil.-directly in the ground .Loose the soil well at least 12 inches deep and 24 inches wide. Add ,Mix1/3 cow manure, Humus. Bag
Commercial growers use ammonium sulphate for side dressing. Here we can use generous amounts of osmocote or garden tone) seed directly or transplant with care.

Yield. If done right with good sun light and fertilization for 3-4 plants one can easily get 100 plus fruits. Takes about 60 days after transplanting.

Adding 2 Table spoonfuls of Garden lime will increase the growth (mix with soil thoughroly). I Use Dyna gro 7-95 for all my plants also.
Grand mother’s tales. With holding water a couple of days will increase the taste. Adding a small amount of milk (2%) will also increase the taste.

Then one can have Dosa kaya varotsavam (every day dosa kaya for few weeks).

The vine can sprawl on the ground or one can make a trellis 3-4 feet is O.K.

If let on the ground put some plastic under the fruit so it wont rot. They do not spoil easily. Commercial growers water the plants before harvesting so that they weigh more.

Good luck

[/tscii:d3010cc18a]

Suja Rajkumar
24th February 2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks so much for the tips. My dosakai seeds just arrived, and I was wondering how to raise. You have answered all the questions I had. Thanks again.

Suja Rajkumar

venkatappiah
9th March 2007, 11:12 AM
There is always some thing to learn from some one.

My friend with 25 years of experience made the following suggestions which I will be implementing my self..
Cucumbers; Raising in plastic containers and transplanting them later;
If one is not careful, the tap roots will break during transplanting. The results Yields will be sub optimal. I cut the Styrofoam cup with a surgical blade. Not always possible for every one .Not always successful to transplant without breaking the tap root.

(1)In ground planting is the best. In the month of May.
(2 )cucumbers will have great yields, prolific after 50-60 days. But after the initial spurs the yield will slow down.

She recommends this method.

Cucumbers stay well outside. Dont get spoiled easily especially the Andhra Yellow dosakaya. She says it is good to have large numbers of them at the frost time, so that you can use them in the first 2 months of winter.
Start them in ground after the last frost.
Successive planting. Start another (second) set in mid June or early July. When the first set of cucumbers slow down the second set will produce in large numbers.

Tomatoes

Determinate variety will slow down in August. Start both determinate and indeterminate varieties. This way one can have tomatoes in the entire season.
I will also start cucumbers in a large planter in the month of April. Follow successive planting in May and June.
Cucumbers will do well if a table spoon of garden lime is added to the soil.

Anoushka
20th March 2007, 08:21 PM
I guess it is time to start putting the seeds in pots and leaving them indoors now so that they will be ready to plant outside in a month and a half...

venkatappiah
21st March 2007, 10:19 AM
[tscii:422e30e8c3]Already planted seeds of yellow cucumbers (dosakai) in containers. Due to cold weather from last few days, I kept them inside. In the month of May I will plant seeds directly.

Started seeds of egg plants (long slender purple and green varieties. Chose the early variety 50-60 days. (Six plants)also 3 karela plants all different early varieties.

Started seeds of glacier and another early variety. (Patio hybrid Tomatoes).4 plants are plenty for two of us.

Planted coriander (kothimeer seeds) in shoe boxes or sweater boxes already. Will be in side on cold days.
Prepared the beds-dug added compost, humus (bags) and corn meal from feed stores and crushed oyster shells for Calcium.

Raised beds (square foot gardening) will be ready to go when the weather co operates.
This week plant seeds of sweet banana peppers in flats.

Prepared beds for Keera (Thota koora) sour keera and methi in an area protected form hot sun (partly shady)

This year I won’t grow any ridge gourd or Snake gourd (limited by space as they have large leaves and take good space and need over head trellis.
[/tscii:422e30e8c3]

kitchenmate
9th May 2007, 09:31 AM
Dear Friends:
such a good thread and why dont we make it alive again...I got most of the information that i want to know from this thread.
Thanks to all of you!
-KK