PDA

View Full Version : Thiruvasagam

gaddeswarup
15th July 2005, 03:48 AM
From: http://www.flonnet.com/fl2215/stories/20050729003410400.htm
the above has been converted to a symphonic oratorio. I do not know what the last term means. Can some body explain this as well as the significance of the poems?
Swarup

blahblah
15th July 2005, 04:02 PM
I do follow little music ,but I have read in Malayala Manorama that Ilayaraja has conducted this historic concert,which included works from 'Thiruvasakam' by Manickavasagar,a Shiva devotee.I have first heard the name in a song from the Malaylam movie 'Manichithra thazhu'[Chandramukhi is supposed to a remake of this movie in which Shobhana played Ganga,a woman possessed by the ghost of Nagavalli,a Tamil dancer,which earned her the National Award for the Best Actress].I would like to know more about Thiruvasakam/Manickavasagar too.

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 05:56 PM
Listened to this. Not as good as the hype given by IR fans. IR's voice is horrible for western classical orchestration. Having English lyrics with tamil was cacophonic - sounded very poppish. Only the chorus based songs were good. I would always prefer Janani Janani where IR sounds best.

BTW, my friend understood "chic-ena pidithen" as "Chicken-a pidithaen" :D

j.chenkalvarayan
15th July 2005, 06:07 PM
walrus annen,
from now on we are deadly foes. :wink: i've not listened to that but i can say blindly without any second thoughts that any work of the genius will be nothing short of divinity.

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 06:14 PM
hey JC,
u really dont know me. I am one of the IR lifelong fanatics :) I am just disappointed he mixed english and tamil and fell in love with his voice :(

Nerd
18th July 2005, 05:14 AM
Listened to this. Not as good as the hype given by IR fans. IR's voice is horrible for western classical orchestration. Having English lyrics with tamil was cacophonic - sounded very poppish. Only the chorus based songs were good. I would always prefer Janani Janani where IR sounds best.

BTW, my friend understood "chic-ena pidithen" as "Chicken-a pidithaen" :D

HHHW, whenever I hear that song in which IR sings yaanunai thodarnthu chick-ena pidithen.. I cudnt stop laughing thanx to ur this post :evil:

True, the english lyrics doesnt gel with thiruvasagam at all, apart from that its a masterpiece by IR :lol2:

Querida
18th July 2005, 12:28 PM
the above has been converted to a symphonic oratorio. I do not know what the last term means. Can some body explain this?
Swarup

Oratorio: A musical composition for voices and orchestra, telling a sacred story without costumes, scenery, or dramatic action.

Symphonic: Relating to or having the character or form of a symphony.
Harmonious in sound.

hope that helps somewhat somehow :)