PDA

View Full Version : What is you favorite kind of sambar?

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:48 AM
Topic started by Mani (@ spider-wj072.proxy.aol.com) on Wed Nov 15 16:26:30 .

Out of all the styles in South India? Which state (in your most humble opinion) do you think has the best? To me, Thamizh Naad saambaar is very delicious, I also like Karnataka style saambaar (MTR Saambaar podi ;-)) ), which do you think is the best kind?

Oldposts
Any kind....as long as somebody cooks it and serves it to me!!!!

Oldposts
RAYAR SAAMBAR
very very few people have ever heard of RAYAR SAAMBAR.
I came to know of this variety from one Iyengar gentlrman from Mayavaram whom I met in a train.
He explained it to me in a nice fashion and I made it at home.
Believe it or not, It has become a hot favourit of all the people who have tasted it.
If you want to learn the recipe, mail me at hkrtrivedi@yahoo.com

Oldposts
How come lovers of Great THING CALLED SAMBAR have not come forward with interesting recipes?
I can't imagine Iyers keeping quiet about this sampoornam or SAMBAR?

Oldposts
Kerala sambar is also tasty, but Tamil sambar is the best!

Oldposts
I tend to agree with Mani because the Sambar I have taken In cichin and Trivendrum, was without perangayam or Hing.I also foung potetoes in Sambar only in kerala.
Sambar in Coimbatore which I call as Gounder sambar is distinctly different and is really among the best Ihave eaten in India.I had the same taste in MAHARAO RESTAURANT IN TOKYO where a Tamil cook from Salem was employed.
But Nothing can compare withRAYAR SAMBAR I learnt from a Mayavaram gentleman.
Any takers ? I can teachthem.
Ingeneral, among all the south Indian sambars, Tamilnadu sambars are the best.

Oldposts
sorry for the spelling mistakes .My key board is playing funny tricks.

Oldposts
Hemant,

Adhu serriya, I am not too much into the potatoes in the sambar, but there are different Kerala recipes and styles. I know people who love sambar so much, they make it and drink it like it was a soup or something! ;-)

Oldposts
Hello Mani,
You are right.Sambar in Pallakdu or Palghat is different.There the Palghat Iyers make good sambar.They use a lot of perankayam or Hing.
But still the Tamilnadu excels in sambar.

Oldposts
Hemant,

Why don't you post in your RAYAR SAMBAR recipe here?

Oldposts
Hello Krishnan,
The recipe of Rayar Sambar goes like any other sambar.But the trick lies in Adding big bunch of Kottumalli paste when the regular Sambar has been 3/4 made.Boil the sambar for about 10 to 15 minutes after you have added coriander paste.
Mind you the sambar will turn almost green.But the result is the Yummiest Sambar you have ever taken.
One thing I forgot to add.Burn a large onion on the grill or Gas till the outer cover becomes totally black.This process takes about ten minutes.
Peel off the Black skin and make a paste of the onion and add it to Rayar Sambar along with a spoonful paste of fresh coconut.
Give a boil time of further five minutes.
Remember to add Hing in the Sambar .This is to be added directly to sambar and also while Garnishing.
Tell me the result please!!!!!

Oldposts
What is kottumalli paste?Please use the commonly known equivalents for ingredients for the less enlightened!! Rasam recipes also welcome.

Oldposts
ADENGAPPA!!!!Kotthumalli is nothing but cilantro in USA and Hara Dhaniya in Hindi.Kothmir in Gujarati.
If I can know Mangala is from Which state, I will give the equivalentnames of the ingradients.
rasams are of atleast eight or nine types.
Which one do you want to know?
Milagai Tannir
Jeera rasam
Mysore Rasam
Gounder Rasam,
Iyangar Milagai Rasam,
Puli char etc.

Oldposts
Heman,

the cilantro in US doesn't smell like (although it looks like it) our naattu kothumalli ilai :-)

Oldposts
Sujatha

Are you sure..? May be you are mixed up
between parsley & cilantro.

My betterhalf makes 'koththamalli thuvaiyal'
once amonth or so.It sure tastes as good as the Indian one.

Oldposts
I agree with you Sujata that cilantro looks like kothamalli but have you tried some of the sabzi shops in Eastern USA?
You will find them in such shops where Gujaratis are more.New Jersy would be a fine place to start your search.
If you fail, plant Dhaniya seeds in some pots and enjoy real KOTHAMALLI after fifteen days .

Oldposts
can anyone give a recipe for palghat sambhar?

Oldposts
YOu must be kidding, Sujata et al. I grow cilantro in my garden (Northeast US) and it's been blessed by many Indian cooks (from india). I think you must be getting flat italian parsley instead.

As for types of sambars, this may not be kosher, but my vote is for "Milagu Kuzhambu". And after that for "Paruppurundai Sambar". Next in line is "Venthaya kuzhambu" or "vattha koottu" as I have heard it amusingly called. Y'awl canemail me for recpies now. Now cilantro now, it's winter and i have 10" of snow on my garden. Come summer though, back to my kothamalli, thakkali, puthina and pachai milagai growing. Big surprise last year: we planted "yard long beans" and they turned out to be great 'karaamani"

Oldposts
My favorite is Murungaikkaai saambaar. It also has a great history behind it.

Oldposts
anybody wants Idly sambaar? which you can really drink or soak the mini idlies (sambar idly)and can enjoy your Sunday evening?

Oldposts
If you need recipes for Poricha kuzhambu(or kootu)-my husbands favourite, thengai araitha kuzhambu and irupuli kuzhambu I can give you.

Oldposts
I like drum-stick sambhar and mulangi-sambar. With masala-vadai, fried potatos with peas and venagi-thayir-pachadi... yum!

Oldposts
Manju - why are you tempting us? :)
Please give your recipes immediately! :))

Oldposts
ineed the recipe for puli rasam.

Oldposts
>>
YOu must be kidding, Sujata et al. <<
>>May be you are mixed up
between parsley & cilantro.

<<

I have been using kothamalli ilai from the Indian grocery store since my attempts at substituting with leaves from the regular grocery stores have so far been a failure.

Oldposts
Ingredients:

Tamarind - small lemon size
tuar dal - 1 cup
dhania - 1/2 cup
red chilli - 5 or 6 you can vary this. Idly sambar should not be very hot
gram dal(kadalai paruppu)-two spoons
urad dal - 1 spoon
hing - 1/4th spoon
grated coconut - 3-4 teaspoons
salt to taste
turmeric powder
Onions - 1 if big
tomatoes - 2
oil, mustard seeds,curry leaves and coriander to season

Preparation:

1. soak the tamarind in little warm water and keep aside.
2. cook the tuar dall in the pressure cooker adding little turmeric powder.
3. fry gram dall to coconut with a spoon of oil till it gives the nice aroma.
4. you dry grind this or first dry grind in the coffee grinder and then wet grind in the mixer.(now in India I have no problem of directly wet grinding)

alternative:

Instead of above process of frying and grinding you can just take the roasted and pre prepared sambar powder and add a handfull of fried dhania and little hing (perungayam) and grated coconut and wet grind/dry grind.

5. Chop the Onions in legthwise.
6. heat some oil in the pan and fry the onions till it is cooked
7. put some more water and take out he thin juice of tamarind and pour into the pan (if you want you can add any other preferred- preferrably like brinjal/auberjine at this stage).
8. then add the ground ingredients in this and dissolve this in the tamarind juice and let it boil till the vegetable is cooked. Then add salt .
9. Next take the dall and slightly mash it with a spoon and pour into the sambar. At this stage if you want some more salt for added dall put some more salt.
10. then add tomatoes cut into big pieces, let the tomato cook.
11. Lastly season with mustard seeds, curry leaves and sprinkle coriander on top preferrably in the gingelly oil(that will be yummy).
Let this sambar be little watery.
12. Make Idlies in regular size or mini idlies
place it in a plate and pour the sambar on it till it is immersed. On top put some ghee or gingelly oil(I prefer gingelly oil) and finely chopped onions over it.

try and tell me the result

Oldposts
Nov,

I will post the other recipes in another two days(hopefully) as I am little busy in this pongal holiday with my three and half year old son. Actually I am enjoying it after four years stay in US/UK

Oldposts
Hi to all!!

Sambaar... Hmmmmm..ARE ANY ONE FROM COIMBATORE
DO NOT REVIEW THIS THREAD SO FAR???

MAN (&WOMAN TOO)!! IF YOU HAVE NOT TASTED IDLY SOAKED IN SAMBAAR OR VADAI SOAKED IN HOT SAMBAAR FROM THE GREAT ANNAPOORNA &GOWRI SHANKAR GROUP OF RESTAURENTS IN COIMBATORE, THEN YOU HAVE NO CHANCE OF KNOWING ABOUT GOOD SAMBAAR AT ALL!!!

(DO NOT CALL THAT AS "VADA" AS NORTHIES CALL THAT SINCE VADAI HAS GONE FROM SOUTH TO NORTH)

sOME MAY EVEN SAY THAT mADRAS sARAVANA bAVAN IS ALSO GOOD, BUT i AM SORRY TO SAY THAT sARAVANA bAVAN sAMBAAR CAN NEVER COME NEAR TO aNNAPOORNA SAMBAAR.pEOPLE WHO HAVE TASTED THAT WILL KNOW THE FACT.

sAMBAAR IS VERY TASTY WITH THE FOLLOWING vEGGIES
ADDED.

1. VENGAYAM (SMALL ONION NOT THE BELLARY TYPE)
2. MURUNGAKAI (DRUM STICK)
3. MULLANGI (I DO NOT KNOW IN ENGLISH, )
4. KATHARIKAI (BRINJAL)
5. CARROT
6. URULAIKIZHANGU (POTATO)

eLLORUM SAAMBAR SAADAM SAPPITTU SANTHOSHAMAGA IRUPPOMAGA!!!

Oldposts
Hello Aarthi,
There are three types of Palakkad sambar,
One is mixed vegetable with Coconut , the second is just plain Thoram parappu sambar and the third is Vengaya sambar.
Othe variations are Murunkkaya sambar, poricha kuzumbuand undai kuzumbu.

Hello Shankar T
Believe me , as informed earlier, Master Sambar preparation is from Coimbatore.
I think between Annapoorna and Gowrishankar, Gowrishankar takes the cake.
Sambar of Sarvana Bhavan in Ashok Nagar is equally good.
But I am not boasting, Try once saambar prepared by me.!!!!!

Oldposts
Hemant,

Pl post the reciepes for the follo
Milagai Tannir
Jeera rasam
Mysore Rasam
Gounder Rasam,
Iyangar Milagai Rasam,
Puli char

Thanks in advance...

Oldposts
could one reason for the good taste in Gowrishankar sambar be the siruvani water? I think it is the tastiest water in India.

>MULLANGI is radish?

Oldposts
Hello Sushmitha,
You have placed a tall order.I will post one at a time starting tomorrow.
Nagarajan, Radish is Mulangi.
I think there is some magic in Coimbatore siruvani water.

Oldposts
You can make the sambar the usual way with the sambar powder and lots of green kothamalli. Saute some coriander seeds, kadalai paruppu and red chillies in a wee bit of oil, powder it and store . Add this to the sambar at the very end. The sambar has a very delicious aroma. Of course never forget the hing. u don't make sambar without hing

Oldposts
Sundar, Please post the Venthay kuzhambu recipe

Oldposts
hey hemant

you have not posted the entire recipe of the sambhar you are so good at making, i am new to this conversation so it would help if you post the entire recipe and also of all the rasams mentioned.

can anybody tell me how tomake mor kuzhambu

Oldposts
Somehow the sambar powders just doesn't seem to suit my taste. Here's my recipe,

Boil sambar dal until it can be mashed easily. Add 1 sp coriander powder, 1/4 sp turmeric, 3/4 sp chilli powder and let it boil. Now add tamrind juice, tomatoes and vegetables (drumstick, potatoes or whatsoever. When the vegetables are cooked put salt and hing. If you would want a few spoons of coconut milk. Finally, season it with mustard, curry leaves and dry red chillies.

Oldposts
Hi Vaishali,
You are right.I have not yet posted complete recipe of Sambar as yet.
I propose to post the recipes of Sambars in my corner starting tomorrow.Please look in to the same.
I have already posted two Rasam recipes in Hemant's cookery corner last week.Please look there.
Mor kozumbu has already been discussed before.I will dig out from the old postings if you want.A gujarati version of Mor Kozumbu called KADHI has been posted in my corner last week.
Please refer to it.

Indu, Your type of Sambar is prepared by many Iyers especially from Mayavaram side.
But it would be better is you roast Dhaniya seeds before powdering.This gives better flavour.

Oldposts
Sundar's simple venthaya kuzhambu

Ingredients:

1 tbsp sambar powder
1 tsp fenugreek/venthayam
2 tbsp oil to fry and season
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 sprig karuveppilai
1 tsp mustard (kadugu)
1 tsp kadalai paruppu
1-2 tsp rice powder, to thicken if necessary

Vegetable of choices:
Onion, french cut green beans, diced eggplant -brinjal, squashes, I've even been happy with potato or pavakkai. Onion - saute to golden brown. Other vegetables - cook in a little salted water to doneness.

Procedure:

Heat oil to smokiness
Add venthayam,
and then 30s later sambar powder
Toast lightly - neither should burn!

quench toasting with water, add tamarind paste and salt

At a good boil, add the veggies,

Separately in a little oil pop mustard, fry kadalai paruppu and curry leaves to season,

Check the main pot - the sambar should smell no longer raw, and you can thicken it with rice flour now if you like.

When you think it's at desired consistency, add seasonings,

Serve hot with rice, a nd "microwave sutta appalam".

Graduate school heaven =)

Oldposts
Hi sundar

thanks for the latest sambar recipe, i will try this and let you know how it turns out, please keep posting other recipies.
vaishali

Oldposts
Hello Vaishali,
I have posted SAMBAR POWDER recipe in HEMANT'S COOKERY CORNER .
You may use this to make sambar .I will post Sambar preparation using my recipe for different regions like Tamil nadu,Kerala, Karnataka etc. starting tonight or tomorrow morning.

Oldposts
Hemant,

Milagai Tannir and Puli Char please....

Sush

Oldposts
Hi Sushmitha,
I will post Milagai Tannir recipe either tonight or tomorrow positively.
In the meanwhile try out Gounder's Rasam recipe which I have posted earlier in my corner.And please don't forget to tell me the result.

Oldposts
Hello Sushmitha, I have posted milagu taneer recipe in Hemant's corner.
Please cook and see if you like my recipe.Please understand that milagu taneer is different from Milagu Rasam.

Oldposts
Hello Vaishali and Sushmitha,
I have posted SPRING ONION SAMBAR recipe in Hemant's cookery corner.I have also posted Venkaya sambar earlier.Try out and let me know.

Oldposts
I am male from punjab
cooking is my hobby

ur is very nice
can u send more rescpes on veg-dish from south by
mail

Oldposts
In kerala, atleast in my home and those of the other nairs I know, we fry and grind the ingredients only when we make the sambaar. We don't use sambaar powder. The difference between the sambaars from madras and kerala (when i compared recipes with my iyer friends) is that we use uzhunnu parippu (uzhtham parippu) instead of kadalapparppu as one of the ingredients for frying. Personally even I can't stand potatoes in sambaar. For that matter I can't stand carrots either. I call it corrupted sambaar.(when the fridge goes bare, put in whatever comes in hand!!). Sambaars made with freshly ground ingredients definitely have an edge over the sambaar made with powder... the madras way or the kerala way.

Oldposts
There are several kind of sambar. The one you are making at your home is just a simple one, the one we make with carot,pumpkin,beans are superb with idly and thosai.

Oldposts
pongada/di sambar kudikkara vettipasangala!

Oldposts
Aannthu,
nee un kaiya vala ilayila pottu nakki-nakki sambaar kudichchiye... appo athu yeanna?

Oldposts
To each his own! Paavam sambaar! :)

Oldposts
uma,
irunthaalu ungalukku rombavu ilagina manasupa..

Oldposts
Pinnenna ganesha! Namma saambaar vegetarian aayirukkattum... Criminal shedding blood over it!:)

Oldposts
saringa...

Oldposts
Vaishali has asked how to make "Moar Kuzhambu".
Nobody has cared yet? This is Palakkad KaaLan also
called "Moru Koottaan". Needed are Yam (Cheanai kizhangu), Raw Plantain (vaazhakkai). Preferably
ash guard (vellai poosanikkai), Ripe cucumber and
Cheappan Kizhangu can also be used. Not absolutely necessary. Coconu one half and two cups of not-so-sour curd also necessary. Cut vegetables into medium pieces and boil with turmeric powder. When came to boil add salt and allow to cook. Grate coconut and grind with two spoons of jeera (cumin seeds) and green chillies, and a spoon of black pepper. Grind into a smooth paste. When vegetables get cooked, pour the coconut gravy in and bring to a boil. Pour the curd into the blender and give a swirl or two. Then pour this curd into the cooked vegetables. Bring to boil.
Keep aside. In a frying pan heat oil (preferably coconut oil) and add musturd seeds. When musturd splutters add fenugreek (vendayam), curry leaves and two or three dried chillies and warm. Add this mixture to the vegetables. This is Moru Kozhambu.

Oldposts
thanks for the "moar kuzhambu", it sounds very interesting, i will certainly try it and let you know how it turns out.

Oldposts
Which state in India has the most food varieites?

Oldposts
Tamil Nadu...

Oldposts
not necessary, Ganesh. Each state has their own variety of foods. Eg, Maharashtra boasts of so many yummy foods. Yes, if you are being loyal to your home-state, then i can understand....

Oldposts
sush,
How can you count one's recipe.... census too not interested in this topic.... anyway, I used to travel all over the wolrd.... that's what I wrote it.... aAnd how could one on this earth can guess that my home-state is TM without even knowing me?....

Oldposts
Sry, did not mean to offend you... I just meant that you cud be loyal to yr home-state. whether your home-state is that or not, I do not know....

Oldposts
you you didn't offend me... your open thoughts are always welcome... I also wrote what I thought and not to bother you...

Oldposts
sambar is very nice

Oldposts
who is the other susmitha?

Oldposts
Ok, so tell me why do you think that TN has max. vareity of foods?

Yes, i do agree that s.indians spend a lot of time for food(both preparation and eating) than anybody....That is my experience, or rather experience at home....

Oldposts
Ok, so Ganesh,tell me why do you think that TN has max. vareity of foods?

Yes, i do agree that s.indians spend a lot of time for food(both preparation and eating) than anybody....That is my experience, or rather experience at home....

Oldposts
Simply think about their spices, can you count them?…. you wouldn’t. OK, I observed and enjoyed when I visited several buffet restaurants. That’s the only way you can get to know how many dishes are available (regardless their orgins)…

Oldposts
buffet wud only give you the exotic dishes....The normal items, which sometimes can be wonderful are not generally kept in buffets....

Oldposts
you may be right... home made food's are good... because mostly they use home-made spices. But when it's comes to varieties I whould prefer restaurants (not just one restaurant though...)... just I'm recalling my last weekend visit to a Thai restaurant... wondered on how many items they had...

Oldposts
I want to make Adai. Can you send me the receipie, preferably in Tamil since I do know English Names for some incredients.

THanks.

Swami

Oldposts
Visit this website for best sambar recipes.
http://www32.brinkster.com/anandhabhavan
<a name="last"></a>

rsankar
24th April 2005, 03:56 AM
Visit this website for best sambar recipes.
http://www32.brinkster.com/anandhabhavan
<a name="last"></a>

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

The web page doesn't open. could you give the correct web address?

thanks.