PDA

View Full Version : Good Movies You would Recommend Others to Watch

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

A.ANAND
18th May 2008, 10:16 PM
crismas in august-korean movie[beatifull love story]

Vivasaayi
18th May 2008, 10:34 PM
Good Recommendations i havent seen audition from that :) any recommendations of movies which are like not from mainstream Holly movies :) something like city of god

try some korean movies like

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - philosophy..beautiful movie

lady vengeance - stylish.

A.ANAND
6th June 2008, 01:05 PM
dog bites dog - chinese action movie :thumbsup:

ShereneAndrew
8th June 2008, 03:18 PM
swept from the sea
Family man
truman show

kannannn
15th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Hukkle (Hungarian): After watching the rather intriguing 'Taxidermist', I decided that Hungarian movies after all deserve a closer look. So, I was recommended this one for the weekend and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. With almost no dialogues, the movie portrays the idyllic rural life in Hungary where all seems so well and romantic. But beneath the innocence, lies a dark side which unravels slowly and cryptically as the film progresses. The movie has some of the best camera work in recent times showing village life from a perspective unknown before. Watch it and watch it carefully!!

Sid_316
19th June 2008, 12:56 AM
Cache[French]: It's a very different suspense/drama thriller ... it manages to grab the viewer's attention throughout the film!highly recommended!

VENKIRAJA
18th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Lost in translation. :)
Sure recommendation.

//I beleive 90s is the best decade of movies,especially 94.//

P_R
18th August 2008, 08:17 PM
Has anybody seen Synechdoche New York ? (Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut).I hear it has released in the US.

Nerd
19th August 2008, 10:04 PM
Has anybody seen Synechdoche New York ? (Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut).I hear it has released in the US.
No, its not. Local TV says the movie will hit the screens only in October, that too it won't be a wide release. But I guess its already been screened in a film festival or something. Looking forward.

Sid_316
19th August 2008, 10:12 PM
The Station Agent

In Bruges

thilak4life
23rd August 2008, 12:24 AM
In Bruges

- highly recommended again.

Sid_316
23rd August 2008, 11:28 AM
In Bruges

- highly recommended again.

Yea loved it! any other movies like this 1? 8-)

Sid_316
23rd August 2008, 02:44 PM
Punch Drunk Love

viraajan
23rd August 2008, 04:30 PM
The bicycle thief - The climax would move you :notworthy:

Ulaganayagan
26th August 2008, 02:22 AM
Magnolia - In many ways, Dasa's inspiration &
One of Kamal's fav movies..Period..

hamid
1st September 2008, 09:49 PM
Has anyone watched "I too Not Stupid" superb movie.. mandarin movie..must watch for every parent.

Sinthiya
2nd September 2008, 08:53 AM
Tropic Thunder....:rotfl: :rotfl:...i'd watch this film again with a heart beat....one of the funniest comedies of this year...

1. Rober Downey Jr. - he made me laugh so much, i remember so many of his lines still - he acts as an australian actor who plays a Afro-american in a movie being filmed in the movie....:rotfl: :thumbsup:
2. Tom Cruise!! - I could not believe it was Tom Cruise (I thought it was Tom Green) what a performance!! :lol:....
3. Ben Stiller - the star and director of the movie :thumbsup:

...may not be funny/enjoyable for all, but the star-studded cast truly delivered...

ajithfederer
2nd September 2008, 08:35 PM
Sinths

One of the roles there is suuposed to be a surprise package :oops:. You revealed it!!!

Sinthiya
3rd September 2008, 08:22 AM
:roll: ...:oops:...well, Tom Cruise makes a surprise appearance - that's given...:)

kannannn
7th September 2008, 05:32 PM
Garage (Ireland) - The 2007 film is a worthy follow-up to Abrahamson's previous film 'Adam and Paul' and in many ways similar in theme. However, while 'Adam and Paul' was more about a sense of being lost in an urban jungle, Garage is about the loneliness of the main character in a tight knit village community. Superb camera angles, minimalist settings (the indie look), loaded symbolism and excellent acting makes it a joy to watch. Pat Shortt's take on the 'village idiot' is perhaps one of the best I have seen in a long time :notworthy:.

Absolutely recommended :thumbsup:

My only grouse is that the DVD DOES NOT come with subtitles (and that leaves you all on your own with the Irish accent :banghead: :banghead: )

hamid
11th September 2008, 03:01 PM
Casablanca.. superb one.. can watch any number of times..

VENKIRAJA
11th September 2008, 11:41 PM
Garage (Ireland) - The 2007 film is a worthy follow-up to Abrahamson's previous film 'Adam and Paul' and in many ways similar in theme. However, while 'Adam and Paul' was more about a sense of being lost in an urban jungle, Garage is about the loneliness of the main character in a tight knit village community. Superb camera angles, minimalist settings (the indie look), loaded symbolism and excellent acting makes it a joy to watch. Pat Shortt's take on the 'village idiot' is perhaps one of the best I have seen in a long time :notworthy:.

Absolutely recommended :thumbsup:

My only grouse is that the DVD DOES NOT come with subtitles (and that leaves you all on your own with the Irish accent :banghead: :banghead: )

intha mAthiri Hungary,Irelanthu padam ellAm ungaluuku engErunthu sikkuthu?kaiyila hollywood block-buster-E oyungA varamAtEnguthu!

Vivasaayi
1st October 2008, 02:55 PM
CHI BI aka RED CLIFF

Directed by John woo

one word to describe this movie is - GORGEOUS - Its photography,music,action and everything...GORGEOUS.

Wonderful Movie watching experience right from the title cards to the end credits.

VENKIRAJA
19th October 2008, 11:28 PM
The Prestige

Nolan did not disappoint me. As usual a non-linear screenplay and a couple of brilliant twists at the end. Unfortunately I, for that matter most of the people in the theatre could guess one of those. The one with Bale. But the twist concerning hugh jackman was outstanding that made people gasp at the climax. Very well done. Needless to say, fabulous performance from the rival magicians( bale and jackman). They've wasted Scarlett Johansson :hammer:

But there is something missing in the movie, I dont know what. But I highly recommend this movie :thumbsup:

-Posted some time ago.(2 years i guess)
Nerd anna...dija guess Bale's part?Really? :roll:
I had guessed Jackman's part actually and Bale's thing stunned me..

Nerd
21st October 2008, 08:23 AM
Nerd anna...dija guess Bale's part?Really? :roll:
I had guessed Jackman's part actually and Bale's thing stunned me..
Been two years as you said, have not revisited ever since. There were a couple of clues. Sarah (??) points out inconsistencies in Bale in more than one scene. I vividly remember this dialogue - "Sometimes when you say you love me, you do not really mean it". This was more than a clue!!

VENKIRAJA
21st October 2008, 06:31 PM
Been two years as you said, have not revisited ever since. There were a couple of clues. Sarah (??) points out inconsistencies in Bale in more than one scene. I vividly remember this dialogue - "Sometimes when you say you love me, you do not really mean it". This was more than a clue!!

But I could easily find out Jackman's mystery when the title card showed many caps and the caps disappear in tesla.Anyways,Prestige remains a personal favourite.What are your favourite mystery movies Kasi aNNE?

P_R
21st October 2008, 06:42 PM
I guessed in the scene where they all sit down for dinner. anga light-A doubt aanEn and then on it that perspective many things fall into place. Particularly the kid's usage of words :"you killed his brother" when referring to the bird.

But sure wouldn't have connected it to the Chinese magician inspiration :bow: Even the Jackman mystery was guessable. Don't remember which point onwards.

Saw it just once, felt the movie was a tad slow. But quite an interesting watch.

VENKIRAJA
13th January 2009, 12:46 PM
Hana-bi [1997]
Amazing year for non-english movies pOla! Bachecha ye aseman, La vita e' bella, this and a few more too... This actually is better than the two above. Such scintillating camera work and surreal juxtapositions throughout the film. A matter of making a worthwhile cop movie. Bonsai movie! A hour and a half, but the density and bulk that the movie conveys :p !

Jyothsna
28th February 2009, 02:38 PM
The children of heaven.. If you have a brother you will feel the movie close to heart.. Must watch..

VENKIRAJA
28th February 2009, 05:01 PM
The children of heaven.. If you have a brother you will feel the movie close to heart.. Must watch..

What a coincidence! I mentioned it in the last post!

ajithfederer
2nd March 2009, 11:34 PM
Run Lola Run :thumbsup:

MrJudge
4th March 2009, 11:40 PM

ippa thAn pAththeengalA?

ajithfederer
5th March 2009, 06:01 AM
100% agree. :D.

Weekend of German Cinema - highly recommended movies.

The Downfall (Untergang, Der) - On the last days of Hitler based on accounts of his secretary who was with him in the Bunker during the war in Berlin. Great war scenes and very good acting. But it was a bit troubling to see the human side of him. A different take nonetheless from the Germans themselves.

Oh! They are entirely different in their treatment of the subject. Schindler's list was a bit sentimental and knowing Spielberg's love for Jewish history, it was not surprising. 'Downfall' awed me since Germans are generally ashamed of what happened during that time and don't portray Hitler in a favourable light. In the words of the director, they wanted to show that Hitler was no different from any other man, in that he had both the good and the bad mixed in him, albeit the bad qualities in greater proportion. I completely agree.

Indha Moonayum thedarein :).

The Edukators: Three anti-capitalists vandalise the houses of rich people, when they are away (they don't steal anything though). On one such occasion, things go wrong and they are forced to kidnap the owner of the house. As the film progresses, the viewers are forced to ask disturbing questions. The film boasts some powerful dialogues.

The kidnapped man: My father used to say - "To be below 30 and not be an idealist is without heart, to be above 30 and still be an idealist is without brains"

The same man on another occasion: You fight your young life against exploitation, live in the woods with comrades, then you marry, have kids, find a job to support them, and then one fine day you go to the polling station and vote conservative.

ajithfederer
5th March 2009, 06:08 AM
Illai I did watch sometime before but was just mentioning it now.

ippa thAn pAththeengalA?

MrJudge
5th March 2009, 12:15 PM

The Downfall (Untergang, Der) - On the last days of Hitler based on accounts of his secretary who was with him in the Bunker during the war in Berlin. Great war scenes and very good acting. But it was a bit troubling to see the human side of him. A different take nonetheless from the Germans themselves.

I saw this movie a few months back. I really liked it and was so sad to see him taking the final decision. Also when he put his dog to rest :cry:

ajithfederer
5th March 2009, 08:12 PM
Ennadhu sad eh?? :lol:.

I saw this movie a few months back. I really liked it and was so sad to see him taking the final decision. Also when he put his dog to rest :cry:

MrJudge
5th March 2009, 11:51 PM
Ennadhu sad eh??

Yeah, that is how I felt. suicide paNNikkiRathu Hitler-A irunthAlum padam pAkkuRathu nAmmalAchE? we're normal humans.....how else do we react to suicides and poor Blondie?

Vivasaayi
6th March 2009, 10:07 PM
Annie hall

:)

Great!

viraajan
6th March 2009, 10:10 PM
Illai I did watch sometime before but was just mentioning it now.

ippa thAn pAththeengalA?

nAn innum andha padam pakkave illa :banghead:

system'la irukku :oops:

indha masathukkulla pathuranum.

VENKIRAJA
7th March 2009, 12:59 AM
Annie hall

:)

Great!

Indha Woodey Allen padangal-la edhachum order irukka?

avven
19th April 2009, 02:28 PM
The Orphanage - Awesome Flick :notworthy:

ajithfederer
19th April 2009, 02:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Counterfeiters_(film)

This one!!

littlemaster1982
19th April 2009, 03:17 PM
67 most influential films ever made (http://www.totalfilm.com/features/the-67-most-influential-films-ever-made).

avven
20th April 2009, 11:45 AM
One Missed Call - Its ok kinda film but its worth watching :D

avven
20th April 2009, 11:49 AM
God Father I - Great Flick :thumbsup: Thought its old one, its My All Time Fav Flick 8-)

Surya
20th April 2009, 12:36 PM
An Inconvenient Truth. :D :thumbsup:

avven
21st April 2009, 01:55 PM
Vacancy - Gud film

bingleguy
21st April 2009, 02:19 PM
Vacancy - Gud film

good one with gory intentions ... ppl who would watch sickening thought stuff (psycho stuff ) would surely give a thought about HOSTEL & HOSTEL 2 by Eli Roth ...

avven
22nd April 2009, 12:26 PM
Hot Rod - very gud comedy flick :D

avven
22nd April 2009, 07:14 PM
untraceable its kewl flick 8-)

bingleguy
22nd April 2009, 07:20 PM
Untraceable ...

andha kola panra video vai internet la poduvAnE ... adhuvA ???

avven
22nd April 2009, 07:28 PM
Untraceable ...

u got it rite :D ..he will broadcast it live not video...i found it different from other flicks but not sure others will thinks the same way i do :roll:

bingleguy
22nd April 2009, 07:33 PM
Untraceable ...

u got it rite :D ..he will broadcast it live not video...i found it different from other flicks but not sure others will thinks the same way i do :roll:

it was a different one though ... more to talk about today's cyberspace being used for crimes ... definitely not an exceptionally good one ... but still fits the current internet era :-)

avven
24th April 2009, 09:09 AM
A Walk To Remember - a very gud love story :D

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 09:15 AM
yAr nadichadhu avven ?

avven
24th April 2009, 11:53 AM
yAr nadichadhu avven ?

its not new flick..its stale one but worth watching :D..abt the casting all of them were seemed new for me :roll:..try youtube to see wht s this film about :P

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 12:16 PM
wokay try chesthanu !

avven
1st May 2009, 03:24 PM
Eden Lake - gud thriller flick :clap:

kannannn
14th June 2009, 10:16 PM
Recommendasionnukku yaar kittayum onnum illa pola..

Whisky (Uruguay) - yes yes, I know.. Uruguay'la padama? But this is one of the very few movies I actually enjoyed watching from start to finish in the past few weeks, even months. Whisky is about a Jewish owner of a sock factory and his secretary, whom he asks to act as his wife for the period his brother is going to be in town. A sad take on loneliness and the inexorable routine of everyday life with funny undercurrents (or funny take with sad undercurrents, as you see it), the movie is short and never meanders away from what it wants to convey about its subjects.

Absolutely recommended!!

P_R
15th June 2009, 11:18 AM
Hey I read about this movie recently. Neenga solteengalla....paathura vENdiyadhu dhaan.

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 01:50 AM
http://amnotblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/rocknrolla.html

Agree with every word this guy has written. Especially this one below

RocknRolla is the coolest, sexiest most stylish two hours of movie I have seen in a long time. The soundtrack rocks too.

cuty2sweety
17th September 2009, 03:01 AM

Therinja Story but the lead pair is AWESOME

Shane West is extremely goodlooking :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

irir123
25th November 2009, 06:28 AM
one of the most realistic films ever made in recent times - "PRECIOUS" - a must film for film-lovers who love natural acting that evoke, empathy, love and understanding

A black girl born in Harlem (poorest neighborhood in america) is repeatedly sexually abused by her father and bears two children for him - one of them suffers from mongolism - as if her troubles are not enough, her mom abuses her physically and verbally

she gets kicked out of school and ends up in an alternate school, unwanted, unloved and uncared for - a kind teacher takes her under her refuge and gives her hope

comes the next bad news - the father dies of AIDS!

the girl asks "why me ?"

warning: this is not your regular 200 million dollar pseudo-scientific trash like "2012" that hollywood is known for - this is hard-hitting real cinema with stunning performances - a slap on the face - no moral preaching, but reality at its acidic worst

carrey
27th November 2009, 09:30 PM
secret window repeat(how many times ) :P

depp rocks and the imaginary fellow :clap:
(always a pleasure to meet a reader :lol:

venkkiram
7th January 2010, 03:18 AM
Antwone Fisher

Denzel Washington இயக்கிய முதல் படம்.

குணச்சித்திர வேடம் தான் இவருக்கு.

கோபத்தை எப்படி நல்ல முயற்சிகளில் ஈடுபடுத்தி தணித்துக் கொள்ள வேண்டும் என்பதை எடுத்துரைக்கும் படைப்பு.

படம் எனக்கு பிடித்தது.

sathya_1979
7th January 2010, 01:21 PM
Shawshank Redemption - Awesome!

Vivasaayi
8th January 2010, 10:13 PM
"Battle Royale"

Its been two days since I have watched the movie.Keeps lingering in my mind and watched it in parts few times again.Will feature in my Top 10 most fav movies definitely :)

Top notch entertainer :clap:

Highly Recommended. :thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
8th January 2010, 11:15 PM
This too much Vikki :evil:

kid-glove
8th January 2010, 11:25 PM
Adhu! :mrgreen: Total agreement with Vikki :thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
8th January 2010, 11:31 PM
BTB, summa oru idhukku sonnen. En thottam, yen varappu, unga thottam unga varappu :razz:

kid-glove
8th January 2010, 11:35 PM
No prob. That's always implied. :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
8th January 2010, 11:36 PM
Edhu top 10 eh? :shock:

I saw battle royale sometime back. It was freakish and totally different film. Can't say I enjoyed it much but it was entertaining for the most part.

kid-glove
8th January 2010, 11:39 PM
Not sure if it is in my top 10 fave films. But I was overwhelmed watching it. So that makes three of us, QT, Vikki and meself. :mrgreen:

Vivasaayi
9th January 2010, 07:41 AM
AF,Bala,

Based on the impact the movie created while watching it or even after watching it - it would definitely be in my top 10.

Btw,I have a special liking for the movies on calf love - this movie is an archipelago of calf love and its very racy from start to end..so obviously to my top 10.

Thilak,

:thumbsup:

kid-glove
29th January 2010, 04:19 PM
Much recommend "His Girl Friday". A Classic. :notworthy:

It's like a favorite of every great director. I've heard QT, and Scorsese talk about it with such glowing praise. No wonder.

Those who think of Cary Grant as a limited star-actor should ABSOLUTELY watch this film. :)

salaam_chennai
30th January 2010, 02:03 AM
yeah, i too like "His Girl Friday".

Thilak, i am sure if you liked HGF, you would have liked "It Happened One night" as well.

salaam_chennai
30th January 2010, 02:13 AM
The Man from Earth.

Its not really a recommendation, but this movie is very popular among my friends and everyone likes it. But, i haven't seen anyone mentioning about this movie in hub. Just curious, has anyone watched this movie.

kid-glove
30th January 2010, 03:47 AM
yeah, i too like "His Girl Friday".

Thilak, i am sure if you liked HGF, you would have liked "It Happened One night" as well.
Of course, I'm a Capra fan. 8-)

Vivasaayi
5th February 2010, 10:12 PM
A Bittersweet Life

For style :thumbsup:

venkkiram
15th February 2010, 07:28 PM
நண்பர் விகடகவியின் சுவையான விமர்சனம் on "A Beautiful Mind" (http://truthdive.com/2009/03/30/a-beautiful-mind-2001/)