PDA

View Full Version : Womens Rights

ssanjinika
22nd July 2005, 12:42 AM
Geeta, married for 13 years, teaches in a government school in Anjar in Gujarat and earns about Rs 14,000.

Two years after marriage her husband Ramesh got a job in Mumbai, earning Rs 1400 a month.

But since Geeta was expecting a child and didn't think his salary would be enough for the family, she refused to accompany him and continued working.

"I was asked to leave Anjar but how could they expect us to live on his income alone. So I filed an appeal as I did not want to move to Mumbai," says Geeta.

Court battle

Ramesh refused to accept this and took the matter to court. He says that being married meant that it was Geeta's duty to live with him irrespective of how much he earned.

When Geeta refused, Ramesh filed for divorce in 1996 on grounds of cruelty and desertion Under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act.

Subsequently, the trial court in Bhuj heard the case and ruled that as per the Hindu Marriage Act, it was Geeta's duty to accompany her husband and quit her job.

Fundamental right

Geeta didn't want a divorce and the same year she appealed in the district court, which overturned the trial court's decision.

The court also declared that this went against her fundamental rights and the right to equality.

The Supreme Court will hear the writ petition, which was filed in April 2005, this week.

The case is open to the interpretation of judges and it will be interesting to see what implications it might have on rights of working women.

Courtesy : NDTV.com

Does the Hindu Marriage Act really state that the wife should blindly follow her husband to the ends of the earth? Doesnt she have any rights / wants of her own ? In this case a child is involved.Isnt the childs future more important than the ego of a man? Your comments please.

Nerd
22nd July 2005, 01:10 AM
Geeta didn't want a divorce and the same year she appealed in the district court, which overturned the trial court's decision.

Any good reasons for this?? May be the child's future?? Hmm.. you guys want India to prosper like those western countries but refuse to take some good things they do.. If the same thing had happened to a girl living in a western country, she would have surely divorced her husband and stood on her own legs or even married another, sensible, understanding guy! Time for women to come out of their shells. I dont see any good reason for that lady to live with that low-life idiot :)

stranger
22nd July 2005, 01:32 AM
Ramesh refused to accept this and took the matter to court. He says that being married meant that it was Geeta's duty to live with him irrespective of how much he earned.

What is her problem in accepting the divorce and marrying someone appropriate for her?! :o

low-life idiot

Jeez! Why has he become such a low-life?! :?

Did he abuse her? Did he beat her? :roll:

There is a serious "opinion difference". Why should not he live a life which he thinks as meaningful?

Why does divorce is always "used" for "saving the women from men". Why not the vice versa? :?:

Nerd
22nd July 2005, 01:59 AM
What is her problem in accepting the divorce and marrying someone appropriate for her?!

Exactly! :D

it was Geeta's duty to live with him irrespective of how much he earned.

When Geeta refused, Ramesh filed for divorce in 1996 on grounds of cruelty and desertion

Isnt it appropriate to call that guy a *low-life*?

stranger
22nd July 2005, 02:21 AM
What we see on the "paper" has very little to do with a reality. 8)

Some terms (duty, cruelty and desertion are used by his lawyer to get a "real" divorce case) are used to "convince" the court and, they do not mean much. The reality may be he is afraid that she is having an affair there and paranoid about it!

BTW, kasi, I know couple of cases, where the men make less money than their wives and so they are feeling like living in hell and all depressed and visiting a shrink every week. :lol:

May be Ramesh did not want to become "alcoholic" or start taking prozac for depression and join the "men losers club" as it is getting crowded lately. Is that too much to ask? :lol:

Nerd
22nd July 2005, 02:45 AM
May be Ramesh did not want to become "alcoholic" or start taking prozac for depression and join the "men losers club" as it is getting crowded lately.

:rotfl: Thats perfectly fine! I would suggest her to join the *women-winners* club which is also growing or IMO, should grow :D

ssanjinika
22nd July 2005, 04:39 AM
Actually the point I was trying to focus on was the Hindu Marriage Act.I was interested in knowing if the act really is interpreted in such ways.Any lawyers out here?

As for Geetha...well if she wants to live with a person who is obviously not for her then she deserves what she gets !!! The only person who is going to bear scars though for no reason of his is the child involved.

blahblah
22nd July 2005, 03:17 PM
Most interesting.Any further information on how come this Geeta who earns 14000/- got married to this little beauty?[The information could be useful to many bachelors who are finding it difficult to have the favor of eligible spinsters] :D

I do watch NDTV everyday .On which date did this appear on TV?Why should a man whose wife earns Rs.14000/- go to Mumbai for a job which pays as little as 1400/-?

And see what all are involved-A man's ego,a woman's rights and ofcourse a child's future.Most pressing problems indeed! :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
22nd July 2005, 03:41 PM
Very pertinent questions, blahblah :lol:

ssanjinika
22nd July 2005, 06:09 PM
U see that all the time...Really pretty ,well educated women marrying ugly lowlifes who dont even have a job.I saw such instance which happened right before my eyes.A girl who was well on her way to becoming a chartered accountant got married to this server she met on the bus.How much does a CA make and how much does a server make.It all happens pa.

ssanjinika
22nd July 2005, 06:10 PM
I do watch NDTV everyday .On which date did this appear on TV?

I dont know.I picked up the article from NDTV.com.Yesterdays news.I am not jobless to sit and make up stuff like this!!

pavalamani pragasam
22nd July 2005, 09:12 PM
Any way, it is interesting to learn about the swelling numbers of "men-losers" & "women-winners". But it is still baffling-who is losing & losing what, & who is winning & winning what? Some food for thought :lol:

stranger
22nd July 2005, 09:42 PM
Any way, it is interesting to learn about the swelling numbers of "men-losers" & "women-winners". But it is still baffling-who is losing & losing what, & who is winning & winning what? Some food for thought :lol:

veRRipeRRa manitharellAm buththisaaLi illai
buththiyuLLa manitharellAm veRRi kaaNbathillai! :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
22nd July 2005, 09:48 PM
Again baffling- who are buththisaali and buththisaaliyallaathavar, veRRi peRRavar and veRRipeRaathavar-men or women or both :lol:

stranger
22nd July 2005, 10:10 PM
I think both Ramesh and Geetha are losers at least in this case! 8)

So is their new-born kid! :cry: ean piRanthaay magn(L)E-nnu thamizh-la paada vENdiyathuthaan thaalaattu!

The probability for win win situation is no longer exist here as one of them is going to lose anyway! 8)

stranger
23rd July 2005, 12:53 AM
* Really pretty ,well educated women marrying ugly lowlifes who dont even have a job.

Yeah, there are PLENTY of STUPID BIMBOS still there to do such a stupidity. They never learn! Even after we reach 30th century, they will be stupid!

* I saw such instance which happened right before my eyes.A girl who was well on her way to becoming a chartered accountant got married to this server she met on the bus.

Well, well, well, A CA could be a worthless trash too.

And a server could be a handsome, charming, sensible young man with some "special gifts" too. I dont know how he impressed her.

Dont you blame the server for being a server, please!

Let us not blame everything on poor, no-good looking, men for being what they are!

As long as the "ugly men" did not force the " rich and beautiful queens" to marry them, I dont see a case here!

* How much does a CA make and how much does a server make.It all happens pa.

I think, marriage is not always between two "pay-checks and bank-accounts"! I believe, there are "other important things" involved in it, in case u dont know about that! :)

pavalamani pragasam
23rd July 2005, 07:57 AM
<I think, marriage is not always between two "pay-checks and bank-accounts"! I believe, there are "other important things" involved in it, in case u dont know about that! > How truly spoken :D But the tragedy is today's youth miss to see this truth :(

j.chenkalvarayan
23rd July 2005, 09:15 AM
* Really pretty ,well educated women marrying ugly lowlifes who dont even have a job.

Yeah, there are PLENTY of STUPID BIMBOS still there to do such a stupidity. They never learn! Even after we reach 30th century, they will be stupid!

* I saw such instance which happened right before my eyes.A girl who was well on her way to becoming a chartered accountant got married to this server she met on the bus.

Well, well, well, A CA could be a worthless trash too.

And a server could be a handsome, charming, sensible young man with some "special gifts" too. I dont know how he impressed her.

Dont you blame the server for being a server, please!

Let us not blame everything on poor, no-good looking, men for being what they are!

As long as the "ugly men" did not force the " rich and beautiful queens" to marry them, I dont see a case here!

* How much does a CA make and how much does a server make.It all happens pa.

I think, marriage is not always between two "pay-checks and bank-accounts"! I believe, there are "other important things" involved in it, in case u dont know about that! :)

:clap:

what's your problem ss madam if a rich girl marries a poor guy.so according to you, rich should only marry the rich and poor should only marry the poor. noble thoughts indeed :P .and from where did the issue of being ugly or good looking creep into the picture?

j.chenkalvarayan
23rd July 2005, 09:18 AM
just confirms my suspicion. womenfolk are indeed very very scheming.

pavalamani pragasam
23rd July 2005, 12:07 PM
No haste, no haste, please :shock: No need to brand the whole lot as scheming. :shock: Modern girls can boast to be "money-wise". It is a pity they are not "man-wise" which their mothers & grandmothers were- the net result: the nest was warm. The educated, emancipated, enlightened woman of today better retrospect a bit & rearrange her priorities conforming to her womanhood attributes. :D