PDA

View Full Version : Different types of appalams (Pappads)

hehehewalrus
24th July 2005, 11:30 PM
Hi,
Lets discuss different types of pappads here.

When I was small there was this pappad(must be vadam) which my mother used to make - it is snow white and assumes the shape of a hemisphere when baked, it is so crisp that it crackles and hisses when it comes in contact with hot rasam. It is made up of tiny spheres all over. Can anyone pls give the correct product name and brand name so that I can look for it in indian stores?

hehehewalrus
24th July 2005, 11:33 PM
The other appalam i enjoyed is the one that comes along in a traditional kerala meal - it is quite similar to the TN brand appalams but the diameter is bigger. I make them at home but somehow the size always seems small, I dont know whether I should use a broader vessel that prevents the raw appalam from curling inwards when dropped in hot oil :(

svasu_ani
24th July 2005, 11:33 PM
hi,
think ure talking abt javvarisi vadam.. u can pick 777 brand vadam from indian stores. they are good.

anitha

hehehewalrus
24th July 2005, 11:36 PM
thanks anitha.

In some indian restaurants, there is a tasty pappad preparation used as a starter. It is nicely decorated with a layer of onion, spices, redchilly bits etc to be eaten with different sauces...anyone knows the recipe for this topping?

Sahely30
7th August 2005, 12:41 AM
Hi
When I was small, I enjoyed happla made of Jackfruit (before it becomes very ripe) and also sweet potato happla.
In US, I have pretty much found everything except theese happla. The other item I never founf was "Hodlu", I dodn't know what they call in English or Tamil. One other item that used to be sold, but not anymore .. that is 777 brand dried Idiappam. I really liked it as it is not sticky like the chineese rice noodle.
If any one have any info, please let me know.
Thanks,
Sahely

svasu_ani
11th August 2005, 04:35 AM
Hi,
Lets discuss different types of pappads here.

When I was small there was this pappad(must be vadam) which my mother used to make - it is snow white and assumes the shape of a hemisphere when baked, it is so crisp that it crackles and hisses when it comes in contact with hot rasam. It is made up of tiny spheres all over. Can anyone pls give the correct product name and brand name so that I can look for it in indian stores?

Yday happened to pick sugam brands javarisi vadam,this one is better than the 777. Microwave it for 30 secs and u get a crunchy vadam...

hehehewalrus
11th August 2005, 05:29 AM
i have no scope for those here :(

I never knew we could microwave pappads - is it ok to do that for Lijjat and Ambika appalams?

di
12th August 2005, 01:42 AM
hi hehewalrus,
yes Lijjat papad and all other appalams can be microwaved for maybe 20/30/40 secs(depends on the power of the m/w)...u will get cripsy chutta appalam! tastes yum as a snack/starter or with rice/sambars etc.