PDA

View Full Version : ALL CAR EXPERTS

unni
5th August 2005, 08:56 AM
i'm the owner of a 93 honda accord (old i know) but it runs perfectly..it was well taken care of and now i am thinking about adding a body kit onto it. the full deal..front/rear bumper along with side skirts...real expensive investment i know so i dont wanna screw up along the way so i need help on purchasing the right kind and advise on installing urself versus professional installation. but then i also have to worry about lowering the car (the center of gravity and all that physice jumbo of the car) but that's different. first i need help on purchasing the right kind of body kit...fiberglass or urethane which is easier to fit?

Hyderbadi
5th August 2005, 09:48 PM
If i were you, i would sell the Accord and buy a used BMW M5(i've seen some for less than 20k) or a used 8 series(i've also seen osme for under 20k) and then put all the money into it.

genesis
5th August 2005, 11:32 PM
Check with your insurance company... they may not cover these type of modified cars...

Good Luck.

Thiru
5th August 2005, 11:44 PM
The answer depends on your skills and on the type of part and material you choose.

Car ground effects products made in urethane and with simple designs are generally easier to install because they are lightweight and flexible. They usually come with double back 3M high strength tape which bonds the parts to your car tightly. Some manufacturers offer instructional videos and detailed instructions on the installation of ground effects for cars. Products made out of fiberglass or design style side skirts require a lot of skills and experience.

Installation is not the only step required in order to have a finished product. Before final installation there is a "dry fitting" procedure involved which requires experience in order to accomplish it properly, then there is the prepping procedure, installation and of course painting. Dry fitting refers to the installer making all the necessary adjustment to the product in order to make it fit perfectly. It involves trimming, grinding and filling gaps in order to have the pieces fit the contour of the car. This is a procedure that is best left to a professional body man who has done this type of work before, since he can do it a lot faster and cheaper then someone who has no experience.

If you are considering the purchase of car ground effects made out of fiberglass or with elaborate designs find the right shop to do the installation for you, before you make the purchase, to avoid unpleasant surprises. Look for a body man that has at least 1 year experience in installing all types of ground effects in different materials. He would be able to do the job in less time for less money, then a body man with 30 years of experience but who has never installed a car ground effect before.

Raghu
6th August 2005, 03:53 AM
If i were you, i would sell the Accord and buy a used BMW M5(i've seen some for less than 20k) or a used 8 series(i've also seen osme for under 20k) and then put all the money into it. :lol:

VTECH engines are the MOSt powerful NOn-TURBO engines in the world Produced by HONDA, heard of Honda S2000??, the most powerful non Turbo 2.0i(injection) car in the world, with an amzing 240 BHP and 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.4 seconds, name me any german or italian car that can beat this, :lol: :lol:

Raghu
6th August 2005, 03:58 AM
i'm the owner of a 93 honda accord (old i know) but it runs perfectly..it was well taken care of and now i am thinking about adding a body kit onto it. the full deal..front/rear bumper along with side skirts...real expensive investment i know so i dont wanna screw up along the way so i need help on purchasing the right kind and advise on installing urself versus professional installation. but then i also have to worry about lowering the car (the center of gravity and all that physice jumbo of the car) but that's different. first i need help on purchasing the right kind of body kit...fiberglass or urethane which is easier to fit?

Fibre Glass is easier to fit, but very fragile, can easily be dented, but will always shine and look brand new, and increase performance as it is very light!

Hyderbadi
6th August 2005, 05:56 AM
If i were you, i would sell the Accord and buy a used BMW M5(i've seen some for less than 20k) or a used 8 series(i've also seen osme for under 20k) and then put all the money into it. :lol:

VTECH engines are the MOSt powerful NOn-TURBO engines in the world Produced by HONDA, heard of Honda S2000??, the most powerful non Turbo 2.0i(injection) car in the world, with an amzing 240 BHP and 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.4 seconds, name me any german or italian car that can beat this, :lol: :lol:

Yes, but the BMWs have non-turbo V8s, V10s and V12s...so in the end, they win(compared to a Honda accord atleast..the Honda S2000 and NSX are faster than most European cars, but hte S2000 is not very comfortable if you are tall and the NSX is very expensive). I agree that honda makes the best v4s and v6s out there though.

Here are some German cars that can beat the S2000s 5.4 seconds however:

Mercedes

S55
S600
S65
SL55
SL600
SL65
CL55
CL600
CL65
E55
CLK55
CLS55
C55

BMW

M3
760i/Li
M5

Porsche

Carrera
Boxter

Audi

RS6
S4
A8L V12

But, i do agree that you will not find any German car that goes to 60 in 5.4 seconds for a price equal to or lower than the S2000s price.

unni
6th August 2005, 10:34 AM
so what do you think is better for a guy that has no experience with body work on the car but REALLY wants it to look good...some friends told me that this was my chance to actually learn these things but i dont wanna mess up and i think it's better to have a pro do it...what do u think..i mean if i screw up that's a lot of money down the drain..btw...in what ways can u screw up...i mean as to throughout process of purchasing and installing the kit?

Hyderbadi
6th August 2005, 08:56 PM
so what do you think is better for a guy that has no experience with body work on the car but REALLY wants it to look good...some friends told me that this was my chance to actually learn these things but i dont wanna mess up and i think it's better to have a pro do it...what do u think..i mean if i screw up that's a lot of money down the drain..btw...in what ways can u screw up...i mean as to throughout process of purchasing and installing the kit?

If you have no experience and do not want to lose money, i recommend getting a pro to install the parts. If you try to do it yourself w/o any experience, you can easily break the parts or damage parts of your car. If you want to gain some experience however, i'd recommend taking an autoshop class at a college.

unni
7th August 2005, 08:00 AM
thanks guys i appreciate the help..i'm clueless on this subject..i know to put gas in, change oil and how to drive it other than that and cleaning it..i have no idea what to do on a car...i knew that it had potential to look better that's why i looked into loweing it a little and then i decided a new paintjob and maybe ground effects...anyways i'll keep ur advice in mind.

Raghu
8th August 2005, 04:41 PM

Yes, but the BMWs have non-turbo V8s, V10s and V12s...so in the end, they win(compared to a Honda accord atleast..the Honda S2000 and NSX are faster than most European cars, but hte S2000 is not very comfortable if you are tall and the NSX is very expensive). I agree that honda makes the best v4s and v6s out there though.

Mercedes

S55
S600
S65
SL55
SL600
SL65
CL55
CL600
CL65
E55
CLK55
CLS55
C55

BMW

M3
760i/Li
M5

Porsche

Carrera
Boxter

Audi

RS6
S4
A8L V12

But, i do agree that you will not find any German car that goes to 60 in 5.4 seconds for a price equal to or lower than the S2000s price.

Dear Hydrabadi,

I think u have mistaken my point, out of all the cars you have listed above can you name me ONE, car which SMALLER or EQUAL to the S200 engine, that is 2.0I-VTECH???

that is my point, all the above you have mentioned are atleast 3.6 litre engine, so they will have a greater torque and BHP, noething great but the S200 or VTECH engines are great, mind u who leads the world super bike championship, Honda or Ducati??

Honda rulzzzz man, Japanese are far more intelligent than the german, italian and the americans dude, when it comes to Cars/Bikes

Hyderbadi
8th August 2005, 08:52 PM

Mercedes

S55
S600
S65
SL55
SL600
SL65
CL55
CL600
CL65
E55
CLK55
CLS55
C55

BMW

M3
760i/Li
M5

Porsche

Carrera
Boxter

Audi

RS6
S4
A8L V12

Dear Hydrabadi,

I think u have mistaken my point, out of all the cars you have listed above can you name me ONE, car which SMALLER or EQUAL to the S200 engine, that is 2.0I-VTECH???

that is my point, all the above you have mentioned are atleast 3.6 litre engine, so they will have a greater torque and BHP, noething great but the S200 or VTECH engines are great, mind u who leads the world super bike championship, Honda or Ducati??

Honda rulzzzz man, Japanese are far more intelligent than the german, italian and the americans dude, when it comes to Cars/Bikes

I agree that the Japanese are much more intelligent than the Germans. The cars they make are amazing. For example, look at the Lexus LS430. When compared to the BMW 7-series and Mercedes S-Class, it is just as fast as them, it has all the luxury features that they have, it has much higher quality than them and it costs almost $30k less. Basically, you get much more for your money with the Lexus. Also, Lexus is known to make the most reliable vehciles in the world and Acura is only second to them.

You definetly get your moenys worth in the S2000. The only thing i don't like about that car is that it is extremly tiny and i cant fit inside it :) .

Raghu
9th August 2005, 03:46 AM
You definetly get your moenys worth in the S2000. The only thing i don't like about that car is that it is extremly tiny and i cant fit inside it :) . :lol: :lol:

i guess the Japanese are small compared to the beef eating americans :lol: