PDA

View Full Version : Krishna's Reincarnation

slperson1
8th August 2005, 07:41 PM
[tscii:61a47c935b]This is a play I wrote in an english class of mine about 2.5 years ago.There are some scenes with cursing and drugs but i'll try and make sure i censor most of that with their toned down variations,anyways enjoy.This is a LONG play about 23 pages on word so I shall post this in 5 page bits over the next couple of weeks i guess.Somethings to note: this is a modern tragedy and had to have elements of theater like a chorus and chorus leader.They are used basically as insite into the story and minds of the characters just like they are used in classic plays.After reading it again it does kinda sound like a tamil movie hahaha oh well,

Here we go,hope you guys enjoy it:

“Krishna’s Reincarnation”

Act One

Character List

Kishen
(Modern variation of the name Krishna)
Bian
(Ex-Girl Friend)
Kim
(Girl Friend)
Duong
Samuel
Robert
Krishna
(Father of Kishen)
Kalyani
(Mother of Kishen)
Teacher
Chorus
(Thoughts of the community and students)
Leader
(Thoughts of Kishen- played by two people - good and bad)

Introduction:

The Hindus believe in reincarnation, that everything that is has multiple lives. In this play titled "Krishna's Reincarnation," we see a double meaning in the title. In one sense "the reincarnation" or second life is that of Kishen's dad, Krishna. One can see his son who takes a similar path in life to that of his father. The title can also be seen as a "second life" to Kishen (variation of the name Krishna) because he starts a new life in college. Kishen is not stuck inside all the time anymore but free to make his own choices.

TIME AND SCENE: Small town in the country. Outside of Lubbock. Graduation day, a stage and many chairs are setup outside the small town’s school. Everyone in town knows each other by name. Everything is quiet while Kishen stands up and heads towards the podium to give his valedictorian speech.

Kishen:
Today we celebrate the completion of a major part of our lives. A new chapter in our lives begins today for all of us, including ya’ll out there.
Pointing towards the audience.Each of us has taken our own paths which were laid before us, some rougher than others, to reach graduation. Having completed a portion of our journey of life, we have reached one of the many crossroads in our lives. As we stand here next to the crossroads today we must ask ourselves a few questions. What should I do now? Am I going to start college or take sometime off? Or should I go ahead into the real world and begin work? Many of ya'll and I too, have asked those questions and have found answers. Whatever decisions ya’ll make about your lives make sure it is your own. Think of the consequences before you act, then you’ll find true happiness in what you do. Today we take our first step into the world to embark a new life. And with every new step and decision we make, we grow as humans. Even if you slip while walking through life we will always have each other and our families to help pick us up and set us back on our path. I wish you all the best in your new lives and congratulations to all of you. Thank you.

¬Kishen exits stage. Ceremony is over Three students (Robert, Duong, and Samuel) gather afterwards.

Robert:
Man that speech by Kishen was great! ¬¬I hear he is going to John Hopkins. He got some scholarship or something, full ride: food, board and tuition. He doesn’t even need to pay for traveling back home during vacation time. Of course we knew he was going to some top school; all the guy did was eat, sleep and study.

Duong:
Damn! That’s awesome. But what do you mean, “That’s all he did?” Ha! Ha! Ha! You really don’t know Kishen like I do, huh? Man you hear the crap he was talkin’ about in his speech. I had trouble not laughin’. Talkin’ about how you gotta think about consequences and crap. Dude smokes a little of this and that while he sips a little something, and he talkin’ about choices? He just has inborn smarts. Only reason he stuck in the house cause of his parents, but fool didn’t study books while he was at home. He’d just mess around and talk on the phone with his girl. I member this one time homeboy sets a paper towel on fire and sees how long he could hold on to it before he had to drop the paper towel. Basically he did everything but study.

Robert:
You serious? I didn’t think he was like that. So I guess that old saying, “You can’t judge a book by its cover,” comes into play. How was he able to drink and smoke if dude was stuck at home?

Duong:
Well……I guess you could say I’ve been a bad influence on him. Whenever I went over I would bring him a joint or something. As for drinking, I don’t know how he has pulled that off without being caught yet. He steals a little bit once in awhile from his dad’s stash.

Samuel:
Man people like him make me sick. You just wanna see them fall flat on their face. I work my butt off and people like him breeze through life. Not only does he not study, but he steals from his parents and smokes too? Man just wait ‘til he goes to college, things will be different. Bet we find his butt on the streets begging for money.

Robert:
Sounds like someone has issues to deal with. You’re just bitter because he was valedictorian and not you. Like you don’t drink or something. You a hypocrite.

Samuel:
Yeah, so your point? It still pisses me off that I worked hard and he didn’t. What kind of justice is that? I’m the hypocrite?! Did you not hear his speech and what Duong said? Can’t trust no one these days.

Robert:
That’s life for you, stop whining, damn, can’t do anything about it now right? What I want to know is how he kept his girlfriend all this time if he never got out of the house? I don’t know how that fool was able to get a girl like Bian. Guess nice guys don’t always finish last.

Duong:
Bian is getting’ sick of him. Never takes her out anywhere. And whenever they do spend time together it’s for a little time cause pansy has to go home all the time. She spends more time with the damn phone then with him. Fool probably hasn’t made it to second base yet. If he did it was probably with the phone. Maybe he’ll have some luck in college. (starts laughing)

Samuel:
See he never had to work for anything. Has a beautiful girl and doesn’t even have to do anything to keep her. My girlfriend, Sheila, always wants to go to the mall or talk about feelings! I worked my butt off and was runner up to that fool. Man!

Robert:
Just give it up fool! High School is over with, just forget about it, it’s in the past. Anyways, you coming to my party tonight?

Samuel:
I will probably stop by for a little bit. I got some relatives coming over so I have to hang with them.

Robert:
How about you Duong?

Duong:
I am not sure. I might stop by, (smirks) maybe I will bring that fool Kishen. Doubt his parents will let him but, hey ain’t going to hurt to try, right? I don’t think he ever been to one of your parties has he?

Robert:
No, don’t believe he has. Ain’t like his parents ever let him out of the house to party. Plus I always thought he studied at home and didn’t like to party. At least you told me that he isn’t all about the books now. Try and bring him if you can aite? Oh well if he doesn’t make it to my party maybe he’ll start to have a little fun in college.

Students leave. Change of scene.

Time and Scene:
Three months have passed by and summer vacation is over with.
At Kishen’s home. Kishen’s parents enter from right. And sit down in the chairs set at the table.

Kalyani:
Can you believe our son is already off to college? Where has the time gone by? In a few more hours he’ll be leaving us.

Krishna:
Yes time does fly by, but you make it sound like he’s going to die or something. We still need to drop him off at the airport so we still have time with him. We should have a little talk with him before he goes off. Can’t have him messing around with friends in college. We don’t want him making the same mistakes in college I did; otherwise he will have to struggle like us without an education. Call our son dear.

Kalyani:
Kishen beta*! Come down here we want to talk to you.

From off stage

Kishen:
Be there in a second amma*!
Enter Kishen
To his mother
Kishen:
You called me?

Krishna:
Yes we wanted to have a little talk with you before we took you to the airport. Sit down next to us.

Kishen sits next to his parents.

We just wanted to tell you we are proud of you and that we want you to focus on your schoolwork. Study hard during the week and enjoy your weekends, but give the weekdays to school. Finish school then worry about other things like work and girls. You know the difficulties that your mother and I went through because we messed around during college. I…

Kishen breaks in cause he knows this speech by heart.

Kishen:
Dad I have heard this story a million times. You messed up in school so you had to work hard the rest of your life. I got the point. No drinks, no women, and most of all no fun right? Just cause you screwed up right?

Krishna:
Beta we just want you to have an easier life then us. We didn’t say don’t have fun. College is a great experience. Just don’t have too much fun. If you find a girl you want to spend the rest of your life with, like I did, wait until after college to do anything, okay son? Learn from the mistakes of your mother and me.

Cast freezes in place as Chorus and Leader speak.

Chorus:
To think he, the valedictorian, him, the one smarter then the others, him, of all people, would ever commit such an act is preposterous. How could a father not trust his own flesh and blood? The phrase “Like father, like son, "does not apply to him; he is one step above his father for sure. A child who has been isolated from the outside world would not know where to even begin. He has a whole future ahead of him why should he spoil it with such acts?

But of course boys only have one thing on their minds at this age; does intelligence make one free of such thoughts? So to experiment would only be natural right? An animal contained is bound to cause havoc when set free. “Give a mouse a cookie and it’ll ask for milk.” The free life away from home, no parents, no rules, no sense?

* Beta- equivalent of calling a younger kid son.
* Amma - Mother

Leader: (aside)
I can handle myself. Not like I drink all the time, a little sip once in awhile. I mean everyone has a little here and there right? No need to make a big deal about it. Not like I’m gonna go drink my scholarship away like pops. I have too much life ahead of me to get tied down to a girl. That’s why Bian and I decided to break up before leaving for college. Either way, what the folks don’t know, won’t hurt them right? Plus I’m the valedictorian; college will be a piece of cake to me. Hardly studied in high school, what makes college so different?

Chorus and Leader are quiet and cast continues where they had left off.

Kishen:
Don’t worry appa*. I want to finish school and make something of myself. You know how I have dreams of becoming a doctor and starting my own practice. I’ll just find the girl of my dreams. And get her to put food on the plates. I won’t make the mistake you did. Sounds like a decent plan, right?

Parents give an awkward look at Kishen.

Ha! Ha! Just a joke guys. You should have seen the expressions on your faces. Alright, isn’t it time to go to the airport? Don’t want to be late now.

Krishna:
If you ever pull something like that nadu therivala nippa*. No more jokes like that. Come on let’s go.

Characters leave for airport. Change of Scene.

Time and Scene:
First day of classes begins. Outside on the college campus. Leader is speaking while action is going on. Kishen sees Kim walking to class and is spell bounded.

As Kim enters class the scene changes from outside on the campus to the classroom. Leader continues to speak, while Kim walks into a classroom and sits down in chair. Other students also start walking in and finding seats. Kishen follows a few steps behind
her. Kishen looks for a seat next to Kim.

To be Continued...
[/tscii:61a47c935b]

soccer_gal
10th August 2005, 11:27 PM
Hmm this sounds like an interesting story....please do paste more of the play... :D

slperson1
10th August 2005, 11:49 PM
glad u like it ill paste more when i get the time :D