PDA

View Full Version : Growing Tulsi plant

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:48 AM
Topic started by Mini Jyothish (minijyothish@hotmail.com) (@ ool-182d08b2.dyn.optonline.net) on Wed Jan 15 10:46:08 .

Hi,
I got some dry Tulsi seeds from India...(I stay in CT, USA) now, I need some help/advice in planting them...has anyone grown a tulsi plant in eastern states of US. I want to know where should I keep the pot outside/inside and when should I plant it now, or in spring/summer? And also, can I put any fertilizer for tulsi..?

Thnx
Mini

Oldposts
Hi Mini Jyothish,
Yes, you can grow Thulasi any where in US. It would be advisable to wait until the warm weather to plant the seeds. Seeds require warm soil temperature for them to sprout. You may plant them in a pot or in the ground during warm weather. When you plant them outside, make sure that you do so after the last freeze.
Thulasi will die down in winter if planted out side, but you can collect the seeds for the next season, and start all over again.
If you place them in a pot, during cold weather you can bring the plants inside to protect them from the cold.
Hope this helps.

Oldposts
"Kollai thuLasi
Ellai kadandhaal
VEdham sonna sattangaL
Vittu viduma?"

Oldposts
Read your query and a good response too on subject.
We, also from the Indian origin, had planted Tulsi seeds in a earthen pot during Spring and the plants did fairly well until winter when they died. However, this spring we planted in our backyard several Tulsi plants, which were offered to us by a friend in Austin, and they are doing much better in the ground thus far. So you might plant the Tulsi seeds both in the flower pot as well as in the ground at the same time.

I am sure that you are well aware that the Tulsi plant is one of the most sacret and widely worshipped plants in India. It has countless number of benefits both on health and in a home where a Tulsi plant in grown and worshipped.

Oldposts
Read your query and a good response too on subject.
We, also from the Indian origin, had planted Tulsi seeds in a earthen pot during Spring and the plants did fairly well until winter when they died. However, this spring we planted in our backyard several Tulsi plants, which were offered to us by a friend in Austin, and they are doing much better in the ground thus far. So you might plant the Tulsi seeds both in the flower pot as well as in the ground at the same time.

I am sure that you are well aware that the Tulsi plant is one of the most sacret and widely worshipped plants in India. It has countless number of benefits both on health and in a home where a Tulsi plant in grown and worshipped.

Oldposts
Can anyone tell me if its possible to grow jasmine flowers in the US? I live in a rainy place, but I get sunshine for 4-5 months in a year. Any kind is okay - mullai, gundu malli, jaathi, kaatu malli...
Are there any florists in the US who sell strings of jasmine?

Oldposts
www.logees.com in CT sells jasmine (jasminium), tulsi (ocimum sanctum) and curry leaves plants (murraya coenigi)

They do well in pots if proper care is taken

Oldposts
Dear sir,
I an virendram singh from india.
sir i want some enqury of Basil(Tulsi).
plz send some information of Basil.

Conact me viruchoudhary@hotmail.com

virendra singh /. shri Rameshwar singh
vill/post---Narnar,Tachil- Chirawa
Dist.----Jhunjhunu (Raj.)India.

Oldposts
How and where do I obtain the seeds for curry leaves & how do I grow them?

Oldposts
Hi Shilpashri Karbhari,

Please see the post two above yours...
www.logees.com if you are in the U.S

- D

Oldposts
Tulsi can also thrive inside in winter months if kept in warm place free from drafts. Put in front of window on south side of house (if available) and allow for sun as much as possible. This can be done, but it is true that warmer summer months make it easier. Tulsi is a sacred plant and should be worshipped. The scriptures point out that one who cultivates Tulsi with love and devotion will receive great spiritual benefits. This is more than true. There should not be any chemical fertilizers used on Tulsi. Use cow manure instead. Water to keep soil moist at all times, but be careful of too much...esp in winter when the moisture isn't drying out as well and can become to damp, clamy, and allow mold to grow. This would be bad to Tulsi. Offer Tulsi water daily, even if just a little spoon. Arati, Tulsi pranams very good. Never pick tulsi leaves. If tulsi needs trimmed, or if leaves are desired for puja, you should clip with scissors. While making tea out of tulsi is something that is being done by some, this is NOT proper, or respectable to tulsi. Worshipping tulsi and offering her leaves in puja to Lord is what is proper. Tulsi's growth is many times proportional to your degree of love, and devotion to her. There are many Krishna temples throughout USA who maintain tulsi plants on the alter of the Lord Sri Krishna. I was at the beautiful Hare Krishna community of New Vrindavan in West Virginia a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the very nice tulsi cultivation there. If you find that tulsi it sick, perhaps more sun, more/less water, transplanting to larger pot, or even changing soil to create nicer and more richer mix of cow manure, and high quality potting soil will help. Hope this helps out. May Lord Sri Krishna bless you all.

Oldposts
This edition to my previous message is to suggest use of plant lights to help out in winter, or low sun days. This is useful too. Plant lights are found at plant, garden stores and provide a wider range of UV light that plants prefer. Even flouresent lights are good for this. In the Skanda Purana it is said "Tulsi is auspicious in all respects. Simply by touching, simply by remembering, simply by praying to, simply by bowing before, simply by hearing about, or simply by sowing this tree, there is always auspiciousness." Tulsi is Lord Krishna's favorite plant. Smelling the leaves of tulsi leaves offered to the Lord is very purifying. There are nice references to tulsi in the book "The Nectar of Devotion". This is a rendering of the "Bhaktrasamrita Sindu" and provides a nice instruction in the science of bhakt, or "love of God". The book is printed by "Bhaktivedanta Book Trust", or BBT of Los Angelos Califonia and is translated by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. A website offering a connection to BBT is at www.geocities.com/radhakrishna108/prabhu.html

Oldposts
Here is nice link about tulsi.
http://gauranga.org/ram_tulsi.htm

Oldposts
Another link that has many comments, and suggestions regarding Tulsi care. http://devotees.krishna.org/Articles/2003/01/001.html

Oldposts
I want to buy Tulsi plant, where i should buy it in USA.

Oldposts
Dear Uma gupta-mazour,

I too want to buy tulsi plants and wonder where to find them. I live in Tucson, AZ . Have you had any informational responses? Do you or anyone know an alternative name for the Tulsi plant?

Light and blessings,
Devaki DEVAKIH11@msn.com

Oldposts
Dear Uma gupta-mazour,

I too want to buy tulsi plants and wonder where to find them. I live in Tucson, AZ . Have you had any informational responses? Do you or anyone know an alternative name for the Tulsi plant?

Light and blessings,
Devaki DEVAKIH11@msn.com

Oldposts
Dear Uma gupta-mazour,

Light and blessings,
Devaki DEVAKIH11@msn.com

Oldposts
tulsi plant is used at all hindu functions,,,,it is a must ..this was ablessings from lord shiva.

Oldposts
Shri Dharmaksetra Das, do you happen to know the life span of a tulsi plant? I have this once very bushy, five feet tall tulsi plant which now shows signs of ageing. What should I do when the remaining leaves wither away? Should I just dump the dried bush in the skip or preserve it, if so for what. I remember my neighbour back home home in India, over a period of time she stored these dried bushes in an outhouse room. They used it on her, on her last day.

Oldposts
6 months (in pots) to 2 years (on ground) - only in the tropics!

Well, approximately!

Oldposts
Is that so, Idiappam. The plant I'm referring to has been on ground for the last 4 years.

Oldposts
Thank you, Tulsi for that information. I believe this must be the record setting plant that you had!

Normally in horticulture and agriculture, the life of plants is based on its useful life. The plant is considered 'expired' when - it loses it beauty, or it does not produce a good yeild (of leaves, fruits, flowers, or seeds etc. The plant is discarded and replaced then. For tulsi and most plants of the same genus (Ocimum - Lamiateae) I have got the longest life span as about 2 years. Thank you again for the update!

Oldposts
How can i take care of my baby tulsi plant in winters?

Oldposts
Hi! Whoever is reading this mail
I would love to have some "Krisna Tulsi" and "Ram Tulsi" seeds. I cannot find them anywhere. Some people bring them from India but I do not have anybody in India to send me. Please if anybody has any seeds please let me know.
Thank You

Oldposts
Looking for Tulsi? I found this here
http://www.wolfriver.net/gardens.htm (http://www.wolfriver.net/gardens.htm
)

And it is growing like weed!!

Nice folks to deal with.

selina

Oldposts
h

Oldposts
Namaste and Jai Sri Krishna! Tulsi should not be thrown out if she has dried up. Branches can be used to make kunti mala beads, japa beads, or counter beads (beads use to count japa rounds). If you wish you can bury tusli, but throwing out is not good. This is recommended if Tulsi has already left. I know of Tulsi plants lasting a few years. Do what you can to prolong her life. The power of bhakti is strong! I presently have two Tulsi plants and it is getting into winter where I am. I use plant lights and also make sure that she gets adequate sun light on the south side of house through a window. This is of course changable daily. Some "sick" plants were given to me and they too are doing well. Letting small plants grow in a small planter until root structure is developed is a good idea. Sometimes having a planter much bigger than the plant isn't good. It may be better to gradually increase planter size as plant grows. Making sure to use cow manure for fertilizer is good. Dried kind from green house works, but stay away from chemical fertilizers. Use plant spray bottle from time to time to bath Tulsi and keep leaves clean. Offer water, ghee lamp, incense from time to time for nice puja and that will result in a much better condition beyond just the simplicity of water, light, and soil conciderations. All is important. If she is not doing well, perhaps a change of soil, more/less water, more light, or cow manure to replenish soil will result is change back to health. Consider such conditions to be a test of how much you desire her to remain. Playing bhajans and the spiritual puja should not be underestimated though. Be careful about not enough sun, or too much water esp in winter. Water amounts should reflect show fast what you put in earlier is being used. Over doing something good can also be bad. Yellowing leaves may indicate not enough light, or water amounts may need changed. Black leaves can be trimmed off with sharp scissors, never pulled. These are just some suggestions that I hope will help you. Hare Krishna!

Oldposts
Hi,
I bought a Tulsi plant some 3-4 months back in summer. It grew very well for 1-2 months. I repotted it since its roots were coming out of the holes of the pot. After few weeks its leaves started falling and there was a white powder like substance on the leaves. I water it everyday and have kept on my window sill where there is plenty of sunlight in the morning. But there is no sign of improvement. The only positive sign is it is still growing vertically but with only few leaves left on its branches. Please help me. I want it to live.
I live in New Jersey.

Oldposts
Hi Tejal,

The problem in your case is that the pot is too small for it. change the plant into a bigger pot as soon as possible. I also have plants at home and have had similar problems but now all of them a growing wonderfully.

Oldposts
Tejal:
Window sill does give it some light and it growing vertical to reach that light , which probably mostly from top and not scatttered.

Most important thing is, that window sill become very cold during winter.Air near windows becomes cold when it comes in contact with glass. I have confirmed it by placing thermometer. Please try to keep plant about a foot away from window. I actually had to remove my tropical plants further away and set up a "Plant growing light". Iturn it on for 3-4 hours a day. Thay are doing much better.

Regards,
Arvind

Oldposts
I have a small ram tulsi that i got from my temple, and it was growing very slowly but healthily, and now, just as it is starting to branch out, it's leaves are dying while still very small. i have fertilized it well with organic material, and made sure it has a lot of water because tulsi likes water, but it still looks poor. any advice?

Oldposts
Just a question on how to circumabulate the Tulsi.
Which way to start from facing the Tulsi my left or right. I give jal whenever I can, can we pluck leaf and eat it.

Oldposts
left to right

Oldposts
Jai kishen said:

//and made sure it has a lot of water because tulsi likes water, //

That's the trouble - too much water - you suffocated the roots!

//but it still looks poor. any advice?//

Oldposts
hello sai ram

Oldposts
our tulsi is growing very tall very quickly and i think she'll fall over. should i cut the top off , someone told me once that once she has four sets of leaves she should be cut! thank you for any help on tulsi care, she is very precious

Oldposts
Hello Everyone, I'd like to have tulsi seeds if any one would like to offer. I live in CT.

Oldposts
hi

Oldposts
I live in California and have tried to raise Tulsi in my home twice and both times she has not survieved. I do not have a green thumb but I try to do my best and follow general planting rules... is there something else I should try??

Oldposts
wow! I didn't know so much about tulsi till now.I have it in my garden and when it dries up i just put it under bigger plants/trees for nature to take its course.am i doing the right thing here? pls enlighten me. thanks
arasan

Oldposts
Hi
I have a tulsi plant.It is growing very rapidly.When i first bought it in may , it was like 2 inch but now it is about 12 inch.I have to change the pot in about 40 to 50 days because it seems that the roots want more space and the day when i plant into another, it grows so fast in 20 days then the rate slows down.I want to know that can i plant tulsi plant from the branches, because someone told me that u can cut one small branch and place in another pot to grow into a new plant.I need help.Thanks.
Pragya

Oldposts
I live in India(mumbai) i recently bought a small tulsi plant and potted it in plastic pot
the plant grew well until one day a pigeon
playing near it accidentally broke it ; but still the plant is growing but now neither it seems to be growing at earlier rate nor it looks healthy also the leaves whither away in just afew days and have small holes in them.
WHAT ACTION SHOULD I TAKE?

Oldposts
I live in India(mumbai) i recently bought a small tulsi plant and potted it in plastic pot
the plant grew well until one day a pigeon
playing near it accidentally broke it ; but still the plant is growing but now neither it seems to be growing at earlier rate nor it looks healthy also the leaves whither away in just afew days and have small holes in them.
WHAT ACTION SHOULD I TAKE?

Oldposts
Hello,

I live in New jersey. Evrytime we bring Tulsi it grows well during summer however in winter she does not. Can any one please advice as to how to a take care during the snowy winter in New jersey.

Thanks and Regards,

Parag

Oldposts
Hello,

I live in New jersey. Evrytime we bring Tulsi it grows well during summer however in winter she does not. Can any one please advice as to how to a take care during the snowy winter in New jersey.

Thanks and Regards,

Parag

Oldposts
I live in Massachusetts.I looked on Google about the "white powdery substance" and found good info.It is some type of mold that will not kill her but will deplete her vitamins.They say not enough air,light,not enough heat, and spraying her leaves with water.It is also very bad if she gets cold at night like near a window.Brown tips can indicate letting her dry out too much in between waterings.I have had 6 tulsi's for one year now and it very important to have plenty of light.Not just one set of plant lights on top but also on the sides and also a humidifier helps alot.If she gets bugs,spider mites etc., you can cover her pot as to not let her dirt fall out and dip her in a solution of water and Dr.Bronner's soap,put enough until the water looks milky.Then be sure to rinse her well. She realy likes this.Also remember to pluck her tops,starting at the first four set of leaves.She will split and grow two branches there.You should continue doing this.This ensures that she does not grow tall and skinny but bushy.A nice natural insecticide is citronella or lavender oils.you can sprinkle a little around her dirt but be careful not to let it get on her leaves it will turn them brown.I am no expert but am only sharing what I know from experience.Hare Krsna!
<a name="last"></a>

Russellduq
17th October 2015, 04:22 AM
To know more benefits about Tulsi Read health benefits of tulsi in hindi (http://www.acchibat.in/2015/08/tulsi-ke-fayde.html)