PDA

View Full Version : On Love Kadhal and Tamil Lyrics

Nayagan
9th August 2005, 03:43 AM
You might have heard the expression "love is divine"?

I was thinking what it meant. In the english language, love does not necessarily stop at attraction for the opposite sex; It can also mean affection for your relatives or friends.(So it is not wrong to say "I love my parents/brother/sister/dog" etc)

So in english, affection, liking, respect, compassion can all be termed as love. Thus "love is divine" is a statement that tell us that we should learn to love our fellow human and that by itself will make you embrace divinity.

In Tamil, there is no statement that would convey loving your parents ("Nan yen petrorai kathalikaren" does not sound right). However, You can have affection(Aasai), respect(Mariyaadhai) for them. So our lyricists making use of "Kadal Punidhamanathu" or "Kadhal Dievikamanathu" are not making a true statement. It is infact a distortion of the "love is divine" theme.

I cringe when such lofty and universal ideas are made to look
pedestrian..by lyrics which in my opinion are written to convey just one lustful emotion.

Anniyan had a line that kind of outlines this

Andha Kadavulai Vidavum Periyavan Oruvan Boomiyil Ullaan Evan
Pen Kangalai Paarthu Kaadhalai Sollum Dhairiyam Ullavan Avan

Can you list other such lyrical lines where kadhal is incorrectly compared to divinity.

madhu
9th August 2005, 07:00 AM
HI Nayagan !

there is a word "nEsam" in tamil.
U can use "nan en petROrai nEsikkiRen".. isnt it ?

vera enna enna vaarthai irukku ? :roll:

Nayagan
9th August 2005, 07:49 AM
Madhu...That is true

but nesam asai yellam equivalent words thaan.

My point is they some how equate Kadhal Punithamanathu
U don't have lyrics to say nesam punithamanathu..right