PDA

View Full Version : Customs in Indian Airport: Your experiences

Oldposts
27th October 2004, 09:01 AM
Topic started by Joe (@ 66-208-215-86.ubr03b.trentn01.nj.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) on Tue Nov 4 19:18:38 EST 2003.

An average passenger landing in India does not come out of the airport happily. I would like you to share your experience with the custom officers.

Also, those who know the actual baggage rules practiced, (not the one you find in the web), may share the information with us.

Oldposts
There is no rule in the Indian customs department.
All corrupt. That is the reason no westerners
tour/trade with Indians.

Oldposts
Thanks. N. It is also not clear, what you can bring with you and what not. Can it be a new item or should it be an 'used' one. How to deal with these people?

Oldposts
Actually there is a limit that upto some X Rupees worth of goods you can bring into the country.

But this is not applicable to used goods or goods bought duty free.

The people who work at immigration/customs are literally beggars. Even if you dont bring anything they will ask to buy wine and give it to them.

The best way to save the country is dont bring anything into the country and make the country more corrupted. Our country will take several hundred years to change. Until then dont bring anything
and make the country more dirtier.

Oldposts
According to the baggage rules, you can carry your personel laptop, a video camera, a personel cd player etc,.

But things are not easier at the customs even if you explain these rules...

Oldposts
Our India is the shi t on world map. The centre govt. is really corrupt. We are responsible for all these when election comes we all sleep with our a s s down and all corrupt persons gets elected and we cry. Shi t on us.

Oldposts
there is a lot of serious restrictions in the check in & check out gate but where does their honesty flies when they receive bribes from the public.

Oldposts
Honesty??? He He He dont ask this to Spiritually rich
Indians.

Oldposts
check the baggage rules on the embassy website.

If the guy stops you, quote him the rules, dont be nervous. That should stop him from taking you for a ride. If he still insists, let him evaluate your goods, then ask to speak to his superior and again quote the rules. A print out from the consulate would also help.

Oldposts
"But things are not easier at the customs even if you explain these rules..."

Just tell them in a tough voice, politeness doesnt help.

Oldposts
[tscii:aaa77b60e5]
Òýɨ¸ :

þó¾ò ¾¢Ã¢Â¢ý §¿¡ì¸õ §ÅÚ §À¡ø Àθ¢ÈÐ; þÐ ¿õÁ¼ Á¢ø¼ý þøÄ ;
º¢Ä ¸¡Ã½ò¾¢ü¸¡¸ ¾Á¢Æ¢ø ±Øи¢§Èý.

[/tscii:aaa77b60e5]

Oldposts
Anyone had problems with carrying a personal Laptop or video camera?

Oldposts
I don't understand this... we boast so much about our culture, our traditions, our family ties, our religion... shouldn't people who abide by all these also be honest people with integrity? then why is that india is labelled as one of the most corrupt countries while, in contradiction, is also one of the most "cultured" countries...

the reason i'm discussing this is because the airport is the first place u step into when u reach india... the moment the plane touches the ground, u are all excited about reaching home, happy that u are gonna see your family again... u are all overwhelmed that u have set foot on homeground again... but in a few seconds... all your hopes and excitement are shattered by the way u are treated in the airport, by the airport personnels.... i say, we should conduct some serious soul-searching sessions for people working there!

Oldposts
My friend went last month with a video camera, thats the only electronics item he had. The guys harassed him so much in the airport that, they say that they have an internatioal market value of Rs.50,000/- for the video camera. Though he had the receipt, that has no value. They said its 40%. So finally he had to pay 140 dollars.

Oldposts
Thanks Rob. This is the best example.

See this link: http://www.indolink.com/Consulate/dutyFree.html (http://www.indolink.com/Consulate/dutyFree.html
)

It clearly says that one video camera (as personal item) can be taken with the passenger duty free.

But at the airport this is ambiguous.

Why he had to pay $140???? (You can buy a camera for ~$250).

In addition to that there was the usual harassments!

Oldposts
Also see this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circular No. 12/2000
Dated 18/02/2000
Government of India
Subject: Baggage Rules - Tourist baggage – no endorsement of imports of personal effects on tourists’ passports

The provision of TBRE was abolished in 1994 and the Baggage Rules were liberalized to facilitate the clearance of baggage of visiting tourists. In terms of Rule 7 of the Baggage Rules, 1998 read with Appendix E, tourists are allowed to bring their personal effects and travel souvenirs subject to certain conditions. For the sake of uniformity in defining personal effects, the Board had issued a circular vide F.No.520/136/92-Cus. VI dated 4.9.98 (copy enclosed).

2. Reports have, however, been received that the passports are being endorsed by the Customs authorities, apparently on the request of passengers. It is stated that this practice is totally incorrect and there is no provision in the Baggage Rules to endorse Passports, which is a valuable legal document.

3. It may kindly be ensured that all genuine tourists are allowed to bring in their personal effects without endorsement on the passports and without payment of duty, subject to the terms and conditions prescribed in the Baggage rules, 1998.

Oldposts
would anybody tell me the duties i have to pay for a video camera worth Rs 35,000/- equivalent, if i buy it from singapore.

Oldposts
In India, custom officers are most corrupted. They are indulged in complete business of smuggling in and out . for that one has to pay hefty amount. Whereas normal passenger will be treated as a big criminal, and you will have to share your goodies with custom officers with your shopping. Say a shoe , or saree or a dress or a camera or whatever you have to give to come out even if you are falling under the customs carry limit. It is bad habit of these Ba$tard custom officers to harass normal passenger who are Indians for their benefit. or else you pay some amount as bribe.

But smugglers go out by paying 50000 Rs with pre arrangement of day and flight. The scene in madras is worst where custom officer pays few lakhs to come on posting and he inturn enetertains 100 such carriers and make 50000 * 100 = 5 million rupees a day which is distributed among the officers stationed on duty.

These officers are shameless, eating public salary and harassing public and making money out of smuggling. Many custom officers have foreign accounts and it is easy for them to move out those illegally generated wealth out of country in suitcases easily or directly asking the smuggler to deposit bribe amount in their foreign account

Oldposts
I have been to India three times so far.all three times i have to pay bribe to custom officers.Ist time i was having a cordless phone.2nd time i was with camcorder and third time they steel my bag.By chance i saw from the incoming belt door two persons were found with my bag with there hands in bag searching for things.When i raised alarm the throw the bag and disapear.When i search the bag at home(as i was scared at airport) my digital camera was gone.
When i was coming back again the custom men asked so many questions and threaten me if i was taking four bags with me.We were three persons including my wife and brother-in-law.I explain them that we are three persons and moreover my brother in law was going first time to canada after getting immigration.

Oldposts
After a hard win vacation; The excitement of seeing the near and dear ones, the "Man Vasanai", the smell of green fields, the sound of mountain streams and falls, with the feeling of "I AM PART OF THIS"...... only through the "HELL GATE - The Indian Customs"

Oldposts
This happened to me when i was going to India for holiday
The customs officer stopped me all of a sudden saying that I cant take all the money that I had in my bag( which actually had just some summer clothes and old shoes). He then whispered that If i gave him 5000 rupees he would let me take the bag. I told him back in a whisper, that if he gave the 5000 rupees i wuld let him keep the bag with the money.
he kept silent and let me go

Oldposts
I admit that these customes officials are mother F******, but it's also the fault of people to get the customes information form wrong website !
For Indians No Viedo Camera, Mo 35 mm Camera, No Laptop, No look at this rule form official customes website !
For the purposes of baggage rules Professional Equipment means:
Such portable equipment, instruments, apparatus and appliances as are ordinarily required in the profession in which the returning passenger was engaged. This expression includes items used by carpenters, plumbers, welders, masons and the like; This concession is not available for items of common use such as Cameras, Cassette Recorders, Dictaphones, Typewriters, Personal Computers and similar items

Oldposts
Myself and my husband went to india recently . we carried 4 suitcases .We waited for more than one and half hour to get our suitcase in the conveyer belt .That too the lock in one of our suitcases was broken . they had checked the things inside . this happened in baggage claim , not in the customs . is it legal to search a bag like this .. ?? does anyone know??

Oldposts
Its one of horrible experience my friend had at Mumbai international airport, i send some used harddisk containing study materail and a old motherboard, some chocolates. As per as rule these used stuff can be carried without any declaration. Those corrupt custom officials gave him nightmare of his life time, he was on way to delhi to defend his thesis. he had to give him WOOPING 450 $$$$$. its now my nightmare!! I dont know when these thugs will be kicked out those place. they are big nuicance to people.

ajay

Oldposts
i want to know how much do i have to pay the custom duty on camcorders worth 500 pounds when taking it from UK to India??

Oldposts
If the camcarder is personal belonging, you should pay anything. Samething with Laptop, CD player, camera etc.

Joe

Oldposts
Read: you should not pay anything

Oldposts
Guys, please carry a Digital voice recorder in your pocket [or something that looks like one]. Drag the officials asking "is there any way to take the items out?" .. and when they suggests money, tell them it had been recorded.

Rest will be peaceful, as it happened with me.

Debraj :)

Oldposts
next time i go to india, i have planned one thing i am going to take down all the customs official names in hyderabad and get the hell beaten out of them, i would rather pay thugs than these bast**ds
My wife travelled alone with a camcorder, she is from north, she is the last one to come because she did not give these f**ers some money, I will show them they also have family. These people get a very bad name to hyderabad.

Oldposts
test

Oldposts
I am carrying Camcoder costing Rs. @30000.
I read on the site that Camcoder are duty free.
Is it true ? or do I need to pay the Duty.

Oldposts
I am a foriegner and if i bring a laptop and also a digital camera will i have to pay the customs anything upon entering India?

Oldposts
Hi
I'm wondering how much should i have to pay as the custom duty for my new camcorder. Since there's a relaxation on customs duty on many goods in the recent mini budgent announced by out FM, India, i'm wondering if the camcorders falls into the Zero Customs duty category.

Folks, Please let me know if you have any idea on this. My camcorder worth 500 CAN (~17000 INR)

Oldposts
This guys really suck. One of my friend went to US carrying a office laptop. The customs guys at Bangalore airport didn't endorsement the letter. Now he want's to bring a new laptop along with the old laptop that he took from India. But he is worried if they would create any problem since the letter is not endorsed.

Oldposts
This guys really suck. One of my friend went to US carrying a office laptop. The customs guys at Bangalore airport didn't endorse the letter ( a letter from his HR say that it is a official laptop) . Now he want's to bring a new laptop along with the old laptop that he took from India. But he is worried if they would create any problem since the letter is not endorsed.

Oldposts
This guys really suck. One of my friend went to US carrying a office laptop. The customs guys at Bangalore airport didn't endorse the letter ( a letter from his HR say that it is a official laptop) . Now he want's to bring a new laptop along with the old laptop that he took from India. But he is worried if they would create any problem since the letter is not endorsed.

Oldposts

Oldposts

Oldposts
dont pay any things to those corrupted officers who themselve had paid to come to that dept. Always pay proper duty , that is main message they may harress u .. not to all , but be always carefull , they will pick some thing from you bag .

Oldposts
What is the official web site that details the custom rules in India. I will be travelling to India from UK after 1 year. i need to know the Leagal information about the custom rules in iddia.

Oldposts
vijay,
the duty on a camcorder is 33.4% of CIF value.
dont pay more. Rather pay the indian govt the official duty that pay these guys

Oldposts
i am carrying a laptop to india from US and i am arriving at mumbai airport. I dont think i have to pay any duty on my laptop if i am carrying it as my personal belongin. Pls reply if someone knows i am right or wrong. I just want to make sure.

Oldposts
guys i want to know what all items can i take back in india duty free? Please help me out or tell me about a reliable website. I am planning to take a digicam and 6 swiss watches and some clothes.

Oldposts
guys i want to know what all items can i take back in india duty free? Please help me out or tell me about a reliable website. I am planning to take a digicam and 6 swiss watches and some clothes.

Oldposts

Oldposts
Dear fellows,
I am pasting some information about recent duty rates, which I received from http://www.geocities.com/indiancustoms/baggagerule/tr.htm. Please write to them directly if you have additinal questions. They are so kind that they will reply you promptly.
Regards
Thomas

If you are eligible for Transfer of Residence benefit, if you wish to avail it, as well as the usual Rs.25000 duty free allowance.

Please check out the page on TR in our website at
http://www.geocities.com/indiancustoms/baggagerule/tr.htm for details.

Under TR, one piece each of all Annexure -III items are duty free Annexure-III items
1. Video Cassette Recorder/Video Cassette Player/Video Television Receiver/Video Cassette Disk Player.
2. Washing Machine.
3. Electrical or Liquefied Petroleum Gas Cooking Range.
4. Personal Computer (Desktop Computer).
5. Notebook Computer (Laptop Computer).
6. Domestic Refrigerators of capacity up to 300 litres or its equivalent.
Digital Video camera, DVD/VCD/CD player being Annexure-II items will be subjected to 15% duty, if brought under TR.

Digital camera/film camera/tape recorder etc. have to be brought as
General baggage. Upto Rs.25000 worth general baggage items (per passenger - you and your wife get a total of 50000 and your child 6000)can be brought duty free. Over that, duty @40% is imposed on the excess value over 25000. You can of course choose to bring Annexure III items as general baggage if that benefits you, so far as customs duty is concerned. Also more than 1 piece of Annexure II or III items and if the value ceiling of 5 Lakhs for these items is exceeded, the excess items will be classified as general baggage.

2. Usually both you and your wife can bring 1 piece of laptop free of duty. However, once you opt for TR (and TR is accorded on a per family basis)your family can bring only 1 laptop. There are obviously holes in this rules. If your wife comes in a separate flight or even in the same flight but does not introduce herself as your wife and checks out separately then she can obviously take another laptop free of duty. Of course in that case, you'd violate your TR declaration. Also alert customs officers can possibly detect such things.

3. Under TR, household items are totally duty free, without any value
ceiling.

4. As mentioned above, each passenger has a certain free allowance.
Apart from that Annexure III items are duty free subject to the condition that the total value of Annexure II & III products should be within Rs.500000. Also household effects, personal effects, furniture etc. are duty free. Jewellery worth Rs.10000 for male passengers and worth Rs.20000 for female passengers are also duty free. Please read our page on TR thoroughly for details.

Thanks,
Webmaster,
http://www.geocities.com/indiancustoms (http://www.geocities.com/indiancustoms
)

Oldposts
I'm going to India in couple of weeks. I've read responses and expriences which are a bit scary. So, does being really strong, asking to talk to the superviser, and being reluctunt should get u thuru fairly easily or getting thru with loosing a whole bunch of money to those corrupt customs b@$t@rds should be fairly easy? In other words does being strong and asking for higher authority work or its just a waste to time and energy? please respond if u can!

Oldposts
We are moving from USA to India for good and have lots of old used stuff that we would like to take back (to bangalore). Can some one give me some info on what are the things that I can take without any customs since I am taking used stuff like PC's with monitor, printer, stereo system, carpets, clothes, JEWELRY (That was bought in India during marriage etc.,). I would appreciate if some one could give me some feedback. I am really scared reading all the emails here.

Thanks
Usha Hebbalalu

Oldposts
Indian customs officials are a new breed now a days...quite passenger friendly.If u tell the truth u will be rewarded.I am a frequent visiter to India and I have not come across any problems.

Oldposts
Hi,

I want to know the Custom Duty for CamCorder of Worth USD $650. Since i am returing to india after 3 month . i am B1 Visa in US.

Oldposts
how many liquor bottle a person can carry, without paying any extra duties to the Custom...

Oldposts
I am NRI at Saudi arabia since 3 years , can I take my laptop to India without paying any custom duty ?

Oldposts
Hi,
I am going back to India after one year in UK. Can anyone please tell whether I have to pay any custom duty on my Laptop, Digital camera, and Camcoder ?
Thanking you.

Oldposts
Vishal need not pay customs duty if they are used ones. Only for the fresh items duties are levied.So he can bring those items he has mentioned without any hesitation.

Oldposts
My previous experiences, me or pple that i have known didn't pay duty tax but more like tips for them, no matter what they see, they want it.using dirty methods to get money from foreigners and greedy of foreigner good. not only the customs but basically everywhere, its a total rip off.
looks more like desperate people.
and the best part about it fellow indians talk bad abt another saying they are taking dirty money.
i just don't understand why there is so hyprocitic stuff happens alot.
the west laughs on us just because of this, i am not over aggerating this but this is from my experience.

Oldposts
To M S Jha
I hope this answers your question... www.ieport/cus2004/Tariff/not11.htm

Oldposts
my company CEO will be travelling to india in July and will be returning back in August.He will have his on laptop along with him and will be carrying another laptop for my office in India.Will he need to pay any coustom duty for the laptop for the Indian office.
Please let me know.

Oldposts
my father is staying in muscat,oman since 1 yr.
me n my sister came here to visit him for
1 n half months.now me n my sister will b leaving to delhi by emirates n v want to carry sonys music system worth 150 OR i.e 18,000 rs.
it weighs 37 kgs.v both r above 18 n v will b travelling alone for d first time.so i want to know dat how much duty will b charged on it n from which channel v shud move - red or green.

Oldposts
I have been staying in Germany for the last 4 years and will be returing to India for good. I would like to know the procedure for trasnfer of residence, since I have electronics, etc which are 4 years old, like T.V, Micorwave oven, Digital sourround system, Handycam, Music system, Tape deck, VCR, DVD player, Desktop compurer with 17 inch monitor, and other used household articles. Can someone tell me if I will have to pay duty on these items? I would be very thankful for any help extend.

Sudha.

Oldposts
I am Indian Resident permanantly. I am on visit tour to USA. I want to carry a laptop with me. Is it allowed on duty free...? (I am not going back from INDIA to USA again.)

Oldposts
I am Indian Resident permanantly. I am on visit tour to USA. I want to carry a laptop with me. Is it allowed on duty free...? (I am not going back from INDIA to USA again.)

Oldposts
cellphones and computers are waived off in the recent budjet by p.chidanbaram
ppl on tourist visa can bring goods worth 20.000 rs and baggage weight upto 20kg
about liquor 1litre is permissable.
persons staying more than 6 months can bring used items and no duty is levied
any way still it is always good to put some extra perfumes in the baggage cos even ur rite they still need it bribe..

Oldposts
I WORK IN DUBAI AND HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THE MIDDLE EAST FOR 10 YEARS (AM A SHIPPING PROFESSIONAL). LAPTOP AND DESK TOP CAN BE CARRIED AS BAGGAGE AND ONE DOES NOT NEED TO PAY ANY CUSTOM DUTY. ONE STILL CAMERA AND ONE CAMCORDER CAN ALSO BE TAKEN AS DUTY FREE. TOTAL BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE IS INR 25000 AND YOU DONT NEED TO UNNECESSARILY WORRY ABOUT INDIAN CUSTOMS. BE FRANK WITH THEM, DO NOT TRY TO HIDE ANYTHING FROM THEM. LAST TIME I CARRIED A BRAND NEW PANASONIC DIGICAM WORTH USD 1000 BUT DELHI CUSTOMS TOLD ME TO JUST TAKE IT OUT, AS WHEN I APPROACHED THE GREEN CHANNEL I DECLARED IT TO ONE OF THE CUSTOMS OFFICERS THERE. HE WAS VERY KIND ENOUGH. SO NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AS IT HAS BECOME MUCH PASSENGER FRIENDLY NOW. BEST WISHES TO ALL THE NRIs AROUND THE WORLD TRAVELLING BACK TO OUR MOTHER INDIA.

Oldposts
I WORK IN DUBAI AND HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THE MIDDLE EAST FOR 10 YEARS (AM A SHIPPING PROFESSIONAL). LAPTOP AND DESK TOP CAN BE CARRIED AS BAGGAGE AND ONE DOES NOT NEED TO PAY ANY CUSTOM DUTY. ONE STILL CAMERA AND ONE CAMCORDER CAN ALSO BE TAKEN AS DUTY FREE. TOTAL BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE IS INR 25000 AND YOU DONT NEED TO UNNECESSARILY WORRY ABOUT INDIAN CUSTOMS. BE FRANK WITH THEM, DO NOT TRY TO HIDE ANYTHING FROM THEM. LAST TIME I CARRIED A BRAND NEW PANASONIC DIGICAM WORTH USD 1000 BUT DELHI CUSTOMS TOLD ME TO JUST TAKE IT OUT, AS WHEN I APPROACHED THE GREEN CHANNEL I DECLARED IT TO ONE OF THE CUSTOMS OFFICERS THERE. HE WAS VERY KIND ENOUGH. SO NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AS IT HAS BECOME MUCH PASSENGER FRIENDLY NOW. BEST WISHES TO ALL THE NRIs AROUND THE WORLD TRAVELLING BACK TO OUR MOTHER INDIA.

Oldposts

Oldposts
I was on my way Back to india (Bangalore) I was carrying a mini CD player in 2002.The officer @Bangalore airport asked me a bribe of Rs2000/-I told him i need not pay anything bcos the baggage rule permits to take within Rs 12500/-Then he asked me at least i part with the liquor bottle.I told him that i hv only one which i would like to share with my friends but if u still insist you can note down my address from passport & join me in the evening Or you give yr address so that i can come along with my friends to yr place & hv party.The officer looked at me & never said a word & pissed off.

Oldposts
I was on my way Back to india (Bangalore) I was carrying a mini CD player in 2002.The officer @Bangalore airport asked me a bribe of Rs2000/-I told him i need not pay anything bcos the baggage rule permits to take within Rs 12500/-Then he asked me at least i part with the liquor bottle.I told him that i hv only one which i would like to share with my friends but if u still insist you can note down my address from passport & join me in the evening Or you give yr address so that i can come along with my friends to yr place & hv party.The officer looked at me & never said a word & pissed off.

Oldposts

Oldposts
Hi,
I am going back to India after one year in UK. Can anyone please tell whether I have to pay any custom duty on my used Home theatre system (500 pounds when bought new).I have the bill to prove that it is old.
Thanking you.

Oldposts
Hi,
wanted to know if I could take a used computer (PC not a laptop) from USA to India? I dont have any bills for it so I dont know what its worth. Hence I dont know how duty will be calculated on that. Can you help? Thanks.

Oldposts
Hey Guys, relax. Customs guys have become extremely friendly nowadays. I have passed through the green channel 2-3 times in the last year in Bombay and had absolutely no problem carrying my laptop, digital camera etc.. I had two bottles of liqour last time and I commented to the customs guy that I must be an idiot to bring it in given that the standard brands (Johnny Walker, Absolut etc.) are freely available in India and his smiling comment was "Why didn't you buy a few more"! I had a brand new 17" laptop and it sailed through without any problems given that you are allowed to bring in one duty free.

Also you should seriously consider whether it is worth it to bring most of the standard items like music systems, microwaves etc. given that they are all available in India now. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year or two, India will become a shopper's paradise ala the Far East.

Oldposts
I will travel in a couple of days back to India from Vancouver after 3 weeks stay here. I am carrying a camcorder puchased in Vancouver costing 756 CDN including tax..Can somebody tell me whetehr I need to declare the same in Mumbai airport?

Oldposts
I will travel in a couple of days back to India from Vancouver after 3 weeks stay here. I am carrying a camcorder puchased in Vancouver costing 756 CDN including tax..Can somebody tell me whetehr I need to declare the same in Mumbai airport?

Oldposts
I will travel in a couple of days back to India from Vancouver after 3 weeks stay here. I am carrying a camcorder puchased in Vancouver costing 756 CDN including tax..Can somebody tell me whetehr I need to declare the same in Mumbai airport? Di I need to pay any tax?

Oldposts
I am an Indian Resident. I will go back to India after staying for eight months in USA. What is my duty free allowance and what items I am allowed to carry. Can I carry some battery driven portable tools worth about $100. Thanks.Venkatesh

Oldposts
Hi..
I have a Typical scenario..When I came from INDIA to USA, My parent Indian company gave me LAPTOP for work..I have all the INVOICES related to purchase of that LAPTOP by my company..Now I wanted to buy a NEW laptop for my personal usage as I have to return the companies Laptop once I am back in INDIA..Can anyone tell me whether I can carry two laptops of which one is Company with all documents and the second my personal with all the documents related to purchase including the TAX in US...Or do I have to pay any DUTY at CUSTOMS in INDIA...

Earliest response is appreciated..

Thanks VSK

Oldposts
Hi,
iam working in nigeria for last 10 months and I had purchased 21" TV and small VCD in 21000 naira, which I have been using for last 7 months, now i am coming back to India after finishing my assignment. So my question is wheather I have to pay any duty, if yes how much?

Oldposts
i am rahul travelling from milan to mumbai ,and i have some cash with me abt 4000 euros,is it possible to carry cash of 4000 euros?or there will be problem in the customs,because i wanted to exchange the currency in thomas cook.pls reply

Oldposts
i am rahul travelling from milan to mumbai ,and i have some cash with me abt 4000 euros,is it possible to carry cash of 4000 euros?or there will be problem in the customs,because i wanted to exchange the currency in thomas cook.pls reply

Oldposts

Oldposts
rahul dude, Keep the money in your carry on luggage and just checkout. They have no right to know how much money you have, it is all yours and perfectly legal. Just declare if you have GOODS worth 12000. But cash, its all yours and exempt from customs

Oldposts
Sudhakar,
If you are going to take back any laptop you can get an entry in your passport. then you need not pay any duty. you must show the entry when you come out of india at the departure customs, show the article and get it endorsed.
<a name="last"></a>

Surya
2nd November 2004, 11:10 AM
Hi,
I personally have never had a problem with the customs, except, its quiet slow. 8)

Roshan
10th October 2011, 03:40 PM
Me too but they aren't slow anymore. Quite fast and they dont even bother to look at you. But immigration OMG.. whether Delhi or Chennai no difference. I have had the experience of explaing the 'rules' to those officers on few occassions. Rules theriyaama ethukku anga ukkaanthu irukkaanga?