PDA

View Full Version : Butternut Squash Recipes please !

chamy
17th August 2005, 10:39 PM
Hello Everybody !
Can somebody post Butternut Squash recipes please ?Thanks in advance.
Regards foodlover.

Anoushka
18th August 2005, 07:08 PM
Hi,

I've used butternut squash in place of pumpkin in more kozhambu and it is tasty! If you need recipe for more kozhambu please ask.

Thanks,
-Anoushka

kritica
18th August 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi Anoushka,
wat is a butternut squash.. i have never heard about it.... plz do send me the recipe for the more kozhambu... also do u have the recipe for pulikachal.. ..
let me know
Kritica

RedPepper
18th August 2005, 11:15 PM
Kritica

Please click on this link and scroll down to see the picture and details of butternut squash.
http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html
Hope this picture will help you to figure out what do you call it in your mothertounge.

Hi Anoushka,
wat is a butternut squash.. i have never heard about it.... plz do send me the recipe for the more kozhambu... also do u have the recipe for pulikachal.. ..
let me know
Kritica

kritica
18th August 2005, 11:54 PM
Hi RedPepper
u have an interesting name.... well we call it parangikai or erra gumadi kai.....
thanks it helped a lot....
kritica

Sowmya
19th August 2005, 01:57 AM
Hi food lover
You can substitute butternut squash for pumpkin.I got these recipes from bawarchi.com and enjoyed them.

Hope you will like them too..

regds
Sowmya

1.Butter nut Squash
Ingredients

Butter nut Squash 1
Coconut 1 cup
Curd 1/2 cup
Red chillies 5
Veppilla
Mustard 2 tsp
Green chillies
Ginger 2 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
Small onion(shallots) 5 in number

Method

Peel the outer skin of butter nut squash and wash it thoroughly in clean water.
Take some scallops, green chillies, ginger and make into a coarse paste.
Rub the paste in the butter nut squash and pour 1 cup of water.
Heat this until cooked.
Then grind the coconut with curd and add to the cooked squash.
Heat it in low flame until thick.
Pour oil in a pan.
Add mustard and allow it to splutter.
Then add dried chillies and vepilla.
Pour this to the cooked squash and ur Butter nut Squash is ready to be served with hot rice and pickle.

Squash in a Flash
Ingredients

butternut squash or chayote-(1medium )peeled and grated
2 Tomatoes, medium size, diced small
1/2 cup , diced Onion or Shallots
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 -1 tsp Hot Pepper Powder (milakai podi in Tamil) as per your taste

For "Thalippu" (seasoning)

1-2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Black Mustard seeds
1 tsp Washed Black Gram Dal
1 tsp Washed Bengal Gram dal
1 sprig Curry Leaves

Method:

In a non-stick pan heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat.
Add onions and saute until limp.
Add tomatoes and cook till they get mushy. Now add salt and the grated butternut. Increase the heat, add the hot pepper powder and cook the vegetable dry turning often and exercising caution not to burn it -about 5 to 10 min.
When it is cooked to your desired tenderness, reduce heat. Taste and adjust salt and hot pepper powder. Now add the "thalippu" and the dish is done.
For Thalippu: This step is the crowning glory of any South Indian stir-fry vegetable recipe and it should be done just right. This step can be done at the beginning or at the end. If it is done towards the end, the dals stay crunchy.)

In small skillet heat 1 tsp oil quite hot. Add the mustard seeds; If the oil is adequatly hot they should crackle and pop instantaneously. Add the dals at once and let them fry to golden brown. It takes only a few seconds. Then add the curry leaves, stir and turn off the heat.

To serve:

Can be side dish for Rice with sambar, rasam or buttermilk.
Can be eaten mixed with Plain Rice and Ghee.
Can eat with Nan or Chappathi.
Can be used as Sandwich Filler.
Can serve as Canape on crisp cracker or toasted french bread slice topped with a dollop of sour cream.

chamy
19th August 2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks Anoushka , kritica ,Red pepper and soumya for the discussion and recipes .i heard good things abt butternut squash that's why iam searching for the recipes.
Anoushka can u post more kuzhambu recipe using butternut squash ? Thanks in advance.
Soumya can u forward me Mrs Revathy shanmugam recipes and chef Dhanalakshmi's recipes.?Thanks in advance.
Regards Foodlover.

Anoushka
26th August 2005, 07:26 PM
Chamy,

Sorry, I was a bit busy and didn't come this side for ages! Here is the recipe...

Make a paste of green chillies, jeera, coconut and ginger (1 small piece)

Mix Buttermilk, Turmeric powder, salt and the paste well.

Add some oil and add dry red chilli, mustard seeds, urad dal, asofetida,Curry leaves, once the mustard splutters add cooked butter nut squash ( I tend to boil/steam it in very little water)
and the buttermilk mixture and heat it in low flame - If you use curd, beat it up well else it will split, when the mixture starts thickening, constant stirring is required. Some people add soaked Toor Dal/Channa dal/raw rice to the ingrediants of the paste as well.

You can subsitute butter nut squash with lady's finger, ripe mango or any other veggie of your choice, you can also use channa (both kabooli and brown).

chamy
26th August 2005, 07:48 PM
Dear anoushka !
Thanks for the recipe.i will try it out and give u the feedback.

chamy
26th August 2005, 07:49 PM
Dear soumya !
i will try the recipes and give u the feedback.Thanks again.

arrecipes
29th August 2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Sowmya,
I tried out Squash in a flash and it turned out to be good.

chamy
29th August 2005, 09:38 PM
Dear Anoushka and soumya !
can u give me the quantity of butternut squash in cups in ur recipes?Thanks in advance.

Sowmya
12th September 2005, 02:40 AM
Hi foodlover
You can substitute butternut squash for pumpkin.. Prepared "erisseri"(palakkad recipes thread) using butternut squash and it was very good.

Regards
Sowmya :D

chamy
12th September 2005, 08:33 AM
Dear sowmya !
Thank u very much for the information.
Regards foodlover.

Sowmya
12th September 2005, 10:22 PM
Hi foodlover
here is a thuvayal recipe from palakkad recipes thread.. you can substitue pumpkin with butternut squash in the same recipe.The taste is great!

mathan(parangikai) /butternut squash thogayal
ingredients:
urad dhal-2-4 tbsp
dry red chillies-4-6
asafoetida- a small piece
mathan(parangikai)- 250 gms or in US you can use acorn squash/calabanza squash(ripe)/butternut squash-1 small
curry leaves-8-10 nos
tamarind- a small lemon sized ball

proc:
Grate the squash or cut into fine pieces after removing the outer skin.saute in oil along with curry leaves till the squash becomes soft.Fry all other ingredients seperately excluding tamarind in oil till golden brown.Grind all the ingredients with salt,little water into a fine smooth mixture.

chamy
17th September 2005, 12:24 AM
Dear Sowmya !
Made squash in a flash today.Tastes great !Thanks for posting the recipe.Regards foodlover.

Sowmya
17th September 2005, 02:47 AM
Hi foodlover
Good to know that you liked the recipe.I tried one more dish using methi & butternut squash and liked it too.Let mme know if you are interested,will post it.

Regds

chamy
17th September 2005, 04:06 AM
Dear Sowmya !
Yeah ...iam interested in the recipe..Please post it.I want the amount of Butternut squash in cups for the recipes ( for the prevoius ones and the following ).sorry for the trouble.Thanks in advance.regards foodlover.

Sowmya
19th September 2005, 02:12 AM
Hi foodlover
Here is the recipe..

methi & butternut squash medley
ingredients
butternut squash(cut into small cubes)- 1 cup
methi leaves(cleaned and finely chopped)-1/2 cup
channa dhal-handful
green chillies-4 or acc to taste
jeera-1tsp
mustard-1 tsp
oil for seasoning.

proc:
Microwave/cook the butternut squash pieces till soft with a pinch of salt.Cook the dhal with a pinch of salt .Make sure it is not mushy ,but sufficiently cooked.In a kadai heat oil,season mustard seeds,finely chopped green chillies and jeera,add the methi leaves and saute till the leaves become soft and a good aroma arises.Add the butternut squash pieces and the dhal.Mix well till the contents blend uniformly.Serve.

Note:
You can adjust the quantity of methi leaves acc to your taste.I prefer 1/2 the quantity as that of butternut squash cos it's just to balance the mild sweetness of butternut squash.
Can pressure cook the dhal and butternut squash together (2 whistles),but making sure that the dhal is properly cooked but intact.

Give it a try and lemme know.

Sowmya
19th September 2005, 05:02 AM
Hi foodlover
The approx quantity of BN squash in the previous recipes is 1 cup.

Regards

orange2005
26th September 2005, 03:21 AM
HI,
I wanted to know if anyone has tried making the usual parangakai using butternut squash.

rain
27th September 2005, 08:23 PM
hello sowmya,

in this squash recipe, cud u suggest an alternative for vepilla(it's neem, right ?).i checked for them in the stores twice.but did'nt find it.

regards,
rain

Sowmya
27th September 2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Rain
In the recipe "vepilla" (short form for "karuveppillai") refers to curry leaves.That's my understanding and that's how I prepared the same.

Regards

kavithasenthil
28th September 2005, 04:42 AM
hahaha..if any one use neem then the whole dish will taste bitter. Thank god u didn't find it in the grocery. :lol: 0

rain
28th September 2005, 10:53 PM
ya,thank god for that :lol: .
it's a good practice to doublecheck.better to be safe than sorry.

rain
30th September 2005, 09:04 PM
hi sowmya,

tried the butternut squash recipe(1st one).was just wow! :D. thanks for posting it !

regards,
rain

Sowmya
1st October 2005, 04:32 AM
Hi Rain
Good to know you liked it.

BTW I tried your cauliflower broccoli subji(SOS thread!) and liked it very much.
Sowmya

Seethab
1st October 2005, 06:58 AM
Hi Sowmya:

I tried the thogayal recipe. It was good. I felt the sweet taste dominated and I am wondering how to handle that? Thanks.

Seetha

rain
1st October 2005, 10:25 PM
hi sowmya,

glad that u liked the bhaji.it's adapted from mridula baljekar's recipe.
thanks for trying out!

regards,
rain

Sowmya
3rd October 2005, 04:21 AM
Hi Seetha
I experienced this dominating sweetness a couple of times too.So these days I taste a small raw piece and then increase the quantity of the other ingredients(esp. red chillies) accordingly.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Sowmya
8th October 2005, 03:29 AM
Hi all
Tried "butternut squash halwa" today and it was delicious. :thumbsup: The base recipe is the parangikai halwa recipe from SUN TV thread.

Regards

rain
17th October 2005, 10:58 PM
hello sowmya,

tried the "butternut methi".and it came out well.jus added a pinch of turmeric too.thanks for sharing the recipe. :D

regards,
rain