PDA

View Full Version : Thovayal

kritica
19th August 2005, 10:08 PM
Hello all,
i work and go to school at the same time, its the same with my husband.... he just gives me 10 minutes-15 minutes to make food... (thats the time the rice cooker takes to cook the rice) most of the days i have some dal, so make rasam.... and generally i microwave some veggie... and try to make some thovayal.. as its easy.... to keep to for lunch for next day.....

i was wondering if u had any recipes for thovayal.. i would like different veggies put into it.. the one i generally make is tamoto vengaya thovayal.. the only common ingredient in all my thovayal is.. thenga...(coconut)... wondering if u guys had a recipe with thenga.....

The recipe for ti is
1 tamato
1 onion
1tsp dhaniya seeds
1tsp ulutham parupu(udag dal)
3 red chilli
little perungayam
1tsp oil

put oil... fry dhaniya,udag dhal, red chilli, ( all seperatly), then remove and keep them aside.. then i add onion and tamato and fry them in the remaining oil.... then add.. perungayam.. cook them well... then grind them by adding thenga... ( ofcourse salt according to the test..) some time i substitute... tamoto and onion iwth cucumber...and brinjal( egg plant.)
alrite..

et me know if u have any.
kritica

chamy
20th August 2005, 12:07 AM
Hi kritica !
This is my favorite thuvayal.
CORIANDER THUVAIYAL

Ingredients

Coriander leaves - 2 cup
grated coconut - 1 cup
dried redchillies - 4
tamarind -half of lemon size
cumin -1/4 tsp
coriander seeds -1/4 tsp
garlic -5 small cloves
ginger -1/2 inch piece
tomato -1 small (in US we get large ones so we can use maybe half )
small onions -5
salt -as required

Procedure :

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a vessel and when it becomes hot add cumin ,coriander seeds and dried red chillies .fry the add garlic ,ginger and small onion.then add tomato and coriander leaves.after coriander leaves is well fried (cooked ) add coconut and fry it it becomes golden color.cool it then grind it in a mixie adding salt tamarind and little water.check for salt and tamarind (sour taste ).If it is less add more salt and tamarind.grind it a coarse paste.finally u can season it with oil fried mustard.

Coconut thuvayal

u can use 2 cups grated coconut and follow the above recipe for coconut thuvayal.

try this and give me ur feed back.

kritica
20th August 2005, 12:26 AM
Hi chamy,
its a very good one sounds yummy..... i will try over this weekend and let u know ok...
thanks
Kritica

R
25th August 2005, 11:58 PM
Hello Chamy,

Tried yr thuvayal today and it was really great. I used dry coconut only, inspite of that, loved it much.

Thanks.

chamy
26th August 2005, 03:32 AM
Dear R !
ur one of my samayal guru.Also i used many of ur ideas and recipes for my toddler son.So iam very happy that u liked the recipe.It's my mom's recipe.Thank u for the feedback.
Regards Foodlover.

dlaxmi16
31st August 2005, 02:50 AM
Hi Kritica,

I learnt this thovayal from my patti who used to make it for our family.
It is very simple & tasty..
The ingredients are Coconut, green chillies, tamarind, jeera, salt..Just grind it coarsely with little water..thats it..

R
31st August 2005, 03:09 AM
Come on, yaar..sincerely dont know whether I deserve it or not.

And, FYI, my cousin has been here for a week and after 3 days, there were some leftover thuvayal and she tasted and got thrilled of the taste!! She loved it very much and also asked for the recipe.

Good job, food lover.

chamy
3rd September 2005, 09:46 AM
Dear R !
Thank u very much .
Regards foodlover.

Latha
6th September 2005, 03:25 PM
Can someone give me the recipe for curryleaf thovayal

chamy
12th September 2005, 08:59 AM
Dear Latha !
i got this from a magazine.Its revathy shanmugham's Recipe.
Curry leaf thovayal
Curry leaves - 2 cups
coconut gratings-1 cup
dried red chillies-8
Peppercorns-1/2 tsp
cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
garlic-2 cloves
thoor dhal-1 tbsp
tamarind-Big gooseberry size
salt-as required
oil-2 tbsp
Procedure

Wash curry leaves and dry clean off water. Heat oil in a pan, and add thoor dhal, dried red chillies, garlic, cumin seeds, peppercorns and stir for some time. Then add curry leaves and stir for 5 minutes. Finally, add grated coconut, tamarind and stir well. Cool and grind in a mixer. Try it and post the feedback.

All the best,
FoodLover. :)

SL
20th September 2005, 08:11 PM
Can someone give me the recipe for curryleaf thovayal

Latha,

Recently on suntv's sunday samayal program, paravai muniyamma made a curry leaf thogayal/thokku which I tried out and was simply superb. Here is the recipe:

Curry leaves - 3 cups
Tamarind - one small lemon size
Red Chillies - 5
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Channa dhal - 1 tsp
Hing - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Salt
Oil

In little oil fry red chillies. Then fry methi seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, dhals, hing all separately one by one. Heat little oil and fry curry leaves until they change color slightly. Grind all of the above with tamarind and salt by sprinkling water as little as possible.
Heat 2 tsp of oil saute mustard seeds and add ground paste and fry for 5 mts on medium flame.

She said we can store this thogayal in a bottle at room temperature for about a month.

Try it, I'm sure you will like this one.

SL

L
2nd November 2005, 11:36 PM
This is my favourite thuvayal,I learnt to my mom..
Curry leaves 1 cup
Urad dal 1 tea spoon
Tamarind one small size ball
Red chillies 3 or 4
sal to taste
Mustard seeds
Oil one small teaspoon (to fry)
Take a tava and fry the urad dal and red chillies. Then put fried urad dall and red chillies,then curry leaves,tamarind and salt also. Grind all the things and sprinkle little water.
Take a tave put some oil and popping the mustard seeds put the ground paster then fry for few minutes.
we can use it for few weeks.
Alternatively u can use the coriander leaves in the same method