PDA

View Full Version : NAIVEDHYAM (Hemant's Cookery Corner)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ash_970
3rd June 2005, 09:39 PM
Dear Hemant Bhai ....Nichiro

You will be missed by this forum ......

but your FORUM will always linger ( Meaning of FORUM in GUJARATI is FRAGRANCE) ,

did not understood your decision to leave the forum...must be some thing very important ..any way accept my good wishes for your success in the new venture....can I send you mail on your personal e-mail ID

tomato
21st June 2005, 09:54 AM
Dearest friends,

Due to personal reasons, I have decided to retire from food section for good.
I will remain a dormant member only.
However, Mr. Kamath's thread will run as it will help a real artist of his craft.
I wish to thank you all for love and respect shown so far.
I will be available on private messages and email to my personal address.

Nichiro

So Pls Nichiro do post the recipes of puliogere gojju and wedding pulao as promised in the Unsung culinary heros thread.

Braandan
22nd October 2005, 07:47 PM
Hemantji is going strong with years of hubbing behind him! Kudos to him!

Hemantji,
I Just re-started forum hubbing after a two year break.
Congrats to you for continuing your great service!

dev
8th November 2005, 05:01 PM
Hi Mr.Hemant,

Tried ur recipe for dry rasam rice... Turned out absolutely tasty... Also had some left over gojju which I used to make rasam... Just added sufficient water & heated it... That too turned out tasty... It stayed good for a week as well... Thanks for the recipe...:)

Seethab
16th November 2005, 05:45 AM
Dear Nichiro:

I reallly miss your recipes!! Can you please start contributing? I am sure everyone would love it too!!

Thanks

Seetha

Nichiro
16th November 2005, 07:59 AM
Dear Nichiro:

I reallly miss your recipes!! Can you please start contributing? I am sure everyone would love it too!!

Thanks

Seetha

Hello Seetha Ma,

Before I start posting in FH, I think time has come to streamline the food section and bring an order.
In short , a new look can do a world of good .
You may make your suggestions.

Seethab
17th November 2005, 01:30 AM
Dear Nichiro:

thanks for your response!!

I agree with you. I am not sure who I should send to? Wonder why cant you lead the change?

Seetha

Nichiro
2nd December 2005, 04:40 PM
Dear Hubbers,
I am posting a wonderful item after a long time.
Hope you would send in your feedback.

Nichiro

MADDUR VADE (as taught to me by Sri.Kamath)

On the way to Mysore near Mandya, you will come across this sleepy smallish town or largish village which is famous for its Vades. I myself tasted this vade for the first time in Maddur after moving to Bangalore nine years back. It is too good to describe the taste.

INGREDIENTS

Rice flour..........250 gms
Very Fine Semolina..75 gms
All purpose flour...75 gms
Onion...............250 gms
Peanuts.............75 gms (Raw unsalted,unroasted)
Green Chiles........4 to 5 nos
Ginger..............1.5" piece
Curry leaves........2 sprigs
Cilantro/Kothmir....1/4 cup
Til (white sesame )..2 to 3 tsps
Salt................25 gms
Cummin seeds........1.5 tsp
Soda Bi-Carb........1/8 tsp
cooking oil.........100 gms (For dough)
Cooking oil for frying

Method Of Preparation:

First of all, chop onions into very very fine size . Also chop Kothmir , green chiles Ginger and curry leaves in slightly largish size. Peanuts are to be broken in coarse size by lightly pounding in mortar or just turn in a mixi bowl for 3 to 4 seconds.

Add all the ingredients including cooking oil and chopped Onions in a wide mouth vessel and make a pliable dough. Remember that you are not adding any water . Water that is released by onions is helping you in preparing the dough.
When finished, Heat 1/2 liter of oil in a kadai. When it is heating, prepare small balls of the vade dough and flatten them to 3 to 4 mm thickness discs on a polythene sheet. When you have five or six of them, start frying on medium flame . Do not let it become too brown too soon. Fring on constant heat and giving even brown colour is very important.

So turn the vade from time to time in kadhai.Spread them on tissue paper after frying. On getting cold, they would be very crisp.

Even before you are taking out first batch, children and not so young children of the house would be raiding the kitchen.
I am not overstating this fact.
See for yourself.
Enjoy !!

RedPepper
2nd December 2005, 07:20 PM
Nichiro,

I have all the ingredients to try your new recipe except that the peanuts are roasted and lightly salted. Please tell if it would be fine to use this instead of raw unroasted. Also I don't have a mesauring cup with gms. readings, so I converted the following ingredients' measurements. Please tell if this is ok?

Rice flour..........250 gms (1 cup/8oz)
Very Fine Semolina..75 gms (2.5oz)
All purpose flour...75 gms (2.5 oz)
Onion...............250 gms ( I will chop them and measure 1 cup?)
Peanuts.............75 gms (Raw unsalted,unroasted) (2.5 oz)
cooking oil.........100 gms (For dough) (about 3 oz?)

Thank you.

MysoreHudugi
2nd December 2005, 08:41 PM
Dear Hubbers,
I am posting a wonderful item after a long time.
Hope you would send in your feedback.

Nichiro

MADDUR VADE (as taught to me by Sri.Kamath)

On the way to Mysore near Mandya, you will come across this sleepy smallish town or largish village which is famous for its Vades. I myself tasted this vade for the first time in Maddur after moving to Bangalore nine years back. It is too good to describe the taste.

INGREDIENTS

Rice flour..........250 gms
Very Fine Semolina..75 gms
All purpose flour...75 gms
Onion...............250 gms
Peanuts.............75 gms (Raw unsalted,unroasted)
Green Chiles........4 to 5 nos
Ginger..............1.5" piece
Curry leaves........2 sprigs
Cilantro/Kothmir....1/4 cup
Til (white sesame )..2 to 3 tsps
Salt................25 gms
Cummin seeds........1.5 tsp
Soda Bi-Carb........1/8 tsp
cooking oil.........100 gms (For dough)
Cooking oil for frying

Method Of Preparation:

First of all, chop onions into very very fine size . Also chop Kothmir , green chiles Ginger and curry leaves in slightly largish size. Peanuts are to be broken in coarse size by lightly pounding in mortar or just turn in a mixi bowl for 3 to 4 seconds.

Add all the ingredients including cooking oil and chopped Onions in a wide mouth vessel and make a pliable dough. Remember that you are not adding any water . Water that is released by onions is helping you in preparing the dough.
When finished, Heat 1/2 liter of oil in a kadai. When it is heating, prepare small balls of the vade dough and flatten them to 3 to 4 mm thickness discs on a polythene sheet. When you have five or six of them, start frying on medium flame . Do not let it become too brown too soon. Fring on constant heat and giving even brown colour is very important.

So turn the vade from time to time in kadhai.Spread them on tissue paper after frying. On getting cold, they would be very crisp.

Even before you are taking out first batch, children and not so young children of the house would be raiding the kitchen.
I am not overstating this fact.
See for yourself.
Enjoy !!

No offense, and I know that recipies change with every person's trial. Real maddur vade does not have til, ginger and cumin seeds. Adding peanuts is in an evolved recipe and not the original.

As I said, no offense , just thought I would point out since I am from that state and have been used to that taste from the day I was allowed to eat that. (Probably for the past 25 years) and my father-in-law is an expert in making this.

Nichiro
2nd December 2005, 08:51 PM
Nichiro,

I have all the ingredients to try your new recipe except that the peanuts are roasted and lightly salted. Please tell if it would be fine to use this instead of raw unroasted. Also I don't have a mesauring cup with gms. readings, so I converted the following ingredients' measurements. Please tell if this is ok?

Rice flour..........250 gms (1 cup/8oz)
Very Fine Semolina..75 gms (2.5oz)
All purpose flour...75 gms (2.5 oz)
Onion...............250 gms ( I will chop them and measure 1 cup?)
Peanuts.............75 gms (Raw unsalted,unroasted) (2.5 oz)
cooking oil.........100 gms (For dough) (about 3 oz?)

Thank you.

Redpepper,
I do not know how big/small your cup is. So please use your own judgement and try it out.
Best of Luck.

Nichiro
2nd December 2005, 09:00 PM
No offense, and I know that recipies change with every person's trial. Real maddur vade does not have til, ginger and cumin seeds. Adding peanuts is in an evolved recipe and not the original.

As I said, no offense , just thought I would point out since I am from that state and have been used to that taste from the day I was allowed to eat that. (Probably for the past 25 years) and my father-in-law is an expert in making this.

Mysore Hudugi,

What I have posted is from one of the most experienced master chef. I have personally used his recipes which are just out of this world. I would suggest you to first try out this recipe and let me know.
A recipe is a constantly evolving thing just like culture.

I do not take offense at such trivia.

No hard feelings.

Nichiro

RedPepper
2nd December 2005, 09:07 PM
Redpepper,
I do not know how big/small your cup is. So please use your own judgement and try it out.
Best of Luck.

What I have is a standard measuring cup with oz, ml, pint, cup marks on it. No gms. 1 cup is 8 oz. Anyway I will try it out.

What about the peanuts? the peanuts I have are roasted and lightly salted. Please tell if it would be fine to use this instead of raw unsalted.

Thanks.

Nichiro
2nd December 2005, 09:37 PM
Hope the peanuts do not brown too much on frying.
Rest is ok.
Best of Luck. :thumbsup:

RedPepper
3rd December 2005, 04:56 AM
OK I made it. It was delicious.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7778/1866/1600/mv.jpg
Is that how it supposed to look like? Got a little too brown? I used brown rice flour.

Nichiro
3rd December 2005, 09:10 AM
OK I made it. It was delicious.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7778/1866/1600/mv.jpg
Is that how it supposed to look like? Got a little too brown? I used brown rice flour.

Redpepper,

This is xackly how Maddur Vade will look .
Since I don't know the texture from photo, I want to know if the vades have become brittle or not? They should be something like Marie Biscuits but not so brittle.

They look yummy....(Drooling smily)

Nichiro

RedPepper
3rd December 2005, 07:56 PM
Yes, the texture was something like Marie biscuits. My first batch got a little too brittle because I fried them too long. I adjusted it for the second batch. It was yummy to eat as is, but it would have been better with coconut chutney. Since you didn't mention in the recipe what to serve with, I didn't prepare any chutney. All I could find in my kitchen was Sambar and it became a wonderful dip. Don't tell anybody. :lol:

Thanks for the wonderful recipe and looking forward to see more.

Nichiro
3rd December 2005, 09:43 PM
Yes, the texture was something like Marie biscuits. My first batch got a little too brittle because I fried them too long. I adjusted it for the second batch. It was yummy to eat as is, but it would have been better with coconut chutney. Since you didn't mention in the recipe what to serve with, I didn't prepare any chutney. All I could find in my kitchen was Sambar and it became a wonderful dip. Don't tell anybody. :lol:

Thanks for the wonderful recipe and looking forward to see more.

Redpepper,
Thanx for the feedback. It is a snack which you can store like Murukkus and enjoy as it is or with tea or coffee.
Coconut chutny can make a fine diversion. Never tried it. I think I will when I make next batch.
Nichiro

RedPepper
3rd December 2005, 11:20 PM
The thought of coconut chutney came when I was looking for a maddur vada picture to see how it look like. Google gave only one image result which was topped with coconut chutney.
http://images.google.com/images?q=maddur+vada&hl=en
When you click on that image link and scroll down the page, there is the picture which says "Maddur Vada en-route to Mysore. Topped with coconut chutney".
Anyway I will be making it again for sure.

Nichiro
8th December 2005, 06:37 PM
Friends,

Now you can download all my recipes from http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/

Please click on right hand corner where "Download All recipes" is mentioned.
I am sorry to have kept you waiting.

Nichiro

Urmila
9th December 2005, 01:52 AM
Hello Hemantji,
Hope you are doing fine. Recently I tried your recipe for the keta kootu with brinjal and the snakegourd kootu with chana dal. Both tasted so yummy and delicious and had the very essence of South Indian cooking . I rarely buy snakegourd as don't know how to cook it, but seeing my kids relish it, am going to make them more often now. My husband who will rather starve than eat brinjal, had 2 more helpings of the keta kootu ... I think that is the best satisfaction I've ever felt after trying out a new recipe. Thanks a tonne for posting these recipes for our enjoyment.

It is very nice & encouraging to see you back in the hub. Hope you can participate more often,

Regards,
Urmila.

Nichiro
9th December 2005, 09:00 AM
Hello Urmila,

Thanks for the feedback.
I had never gone away from FH .
I just want to seat back and relax. What I want is people should experiment and post their recipes. Creativity is the essence of cookery. New people with "ORIGINAL" work should come forward.

I don't say that traditional cooking is passe and new is in.
No, no one can replicate Kootu or Iyengar Rasam or Aviyal etc. But doing some creative additions always is interesting.

Do post more on these lines.

Nichiro

fortune
9th December 2005, 07:44 PM
Hi Mr.Hemant,
I really appreciate your work but would be even more if you could post some diabetic recipes since my husband is and has to have a strict diet.

Thanks.

RedPepper
16th December 2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Nichiro,

I made murukku as mentioned in your ribbon pakoda recipe.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7778/1866/1600/m.jpg

I am happy with the outcome. But I was wondering how do people make that beautiful round shaped murukku? Do you press it directly to the hot oil? Or do you first press on to a surface and transfer to the hot oil? I tried both ways and didn't get that shape. Please share the technique.

Nichiro
16th December 2005, 09:31 PM
RedPepper,
It is very easy.
Start pressing the murukku machine and come out with a long murukku thread.
Now manually roll it into a beautiful round shape.
Unfortunately old murukku machines cannot make "kai murukku" shape. But I have used one roatating plastic contraption which used to make even kai murukku shaped murukkus.
You must use a polythene sheet to make these murrukkus .
Once you are used to the machine, with little practice, you will be able to make round murukkus on plastic sheet by circular motion of your wrists.
At the end, you have to carefully transfer the rolled murukkus to oil for frying.

Ivete
16th December 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi, Nichiro,
Today, after a long time, I paid a visit to this forum and I just wanted to say it's nice to see you back!
Ivete

Nichiro
20th December 2005, 03:01 PM
Hello Ivete,
Thanks for the welcome. Why not you post some Turkish/Portugese dishes recipes? Would love to bring a change to my diet regimen.

Edited: to correct spelling error

rsankar
2nd January 2006, 03:24 AM
Hello sir,

Today I tried, "MADDUR VADE" (New year lunch). It's so different from our other vadais, and it's so simple and tasty.

Thankyou
rsankar.

Nichiro
2nd January 2006, 10:23 AM
r sankar,

Thanx for the feedback. Maddur vadai is one helluva tidbit.
Trying to find some time for posting recipes of three four items like Paya, Gojjus, etc but other work does not permit much time.
Thank God I did not make any annual resolution this year about posting recipes on time...LOL

Ivete
6th January 2006, 03:55 PM
Hello Nichiro! Happy New Year for you and all the hubbers!
I've got a lot of sweet potatoes from a friend and my question is if you have any sugestions on how to prepare them? Sometimes I put them in soups or I mash them. But I'd like to have them in a different way. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Ivete

Nichiro
7th January 2006, 07:07 AM
I've got a lot of sweet potatoes from a friend and my question is if you have any sugestions on how to prepare them? Sometimes I put them in soups or I mash them. But I'd like to have them in a different way. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Ivete

Hi Ivete,
Happy New Year to You also.
You can make sweet potato curry just like potato curry in light gravy.
But what I love most is SWEET POTATO HALWA. ( sweet ).
Can post the recipe in a day. It is actually very simple.

1/2 kg sweet potat(Steam cooked, remove inner fibres)add 300 gms of sugar+ powder from 5 to 6 cardamoms. Little saffaron.
Take 3 ladles of Ghee in a kadai, heat it and add mixture of mashed sweet potato and sugar. Stir briskly to melt sugar. Now add cardamom powder and lastly add saffaron (Crushed).
Remove from stove. Let it cool.
You can serve hot or at room temp.
Enjoi !!

Ivete
7th January 2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Nichiro!
I'll try later today. It seems delicious!
I'll let you know, then.
Bye!
Ivete

tomato
8th January 2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks,
Ivete

Ivete,
U could also make sweet potato fritters/bajjis. Quite a fav in home.
Just peel them and slice them. Then dip in the usual bajji batter and deep fry in hot oil.

Nichiro,
Good to have u back sir. I hope u don't mind my answering the query addressed to you.
I have a lot of seedless dates could u suggest some use for it. Heard of 'kajjura payasa' any idea how it is made?

Nichiro
8th January 2006, 10:20 PM
Tomato,
Khajurpaak is the best sweet for winter.
Try following.
250 Gms Khajur+250 gms Figs+ 100gms Badam+50 gms Cashew.

Mash Khajur and figs in a mixi also slice badam, and make small pieces of Cashew.
Heat a little ghee(4 to 5 ladles) in a kadai and add mashed Khajur and fig mix.
Heat to soften the mixture .Now add badam and Cashew. Remove in a plate and make small pieces . Cool in fridge and enjoy.
This is best for people with sugar complaint.

tomato
9th January 2006, 07:44 AM
Thank you Nichiro for the quick response. Will give ur recipe a try and let u know the results.

Ivete
9th January 2006, 08:53 PM
Hi, Tomato,
I tried yr sugestion and it was delicious! Thank you.

I also tried Nichiro's sweet potato halwa and it was really good too. Very tasty. Thank you!
I passed the recipes to the friend who gave me the potatoes.
I still have 4 big ones so I'll make the curry.

Thanks for both of you!!!

dsankaran
17th January 2006, 01:40 AM
Hemant Ji,

I made Gun Powder as per your recipe. It turned out good.

Thanks for sharing.
- D

shreya23
17th January 2006, 06:52 PM
hi nichiro
i want to try out your khajur halwa but please can you tell me whether khajur & dates are the same?
shreya

Nichiro
17th January 2006, 08:25 PM
deleted for double posting

Nichiro
17th January 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Sankaran,
Thanks for the feedback of Gun powder.

SHREYA,
Khajur and Dates are same.

Ivete,
Thanks for the sweet potato halwa feedback.

Jonu
17th January 2006, 08:31 PM
Hello Everyone ,

I am new to this site , so please can you guys help me finding the recipes which you have tried so I can try them too thanks a lot .

Regards ,
Sonia .

Suja Rajkumar
18th January 2006, 06:52 PM
Dear Mr. Hemant,
I made your Karnataka sambhar powder. Yesterday I made sambhar with it. The sambhar was awesome(according to my husband and son). Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Suja

Nichiro
18th January 2006, 07:28 PM
Suja,

Thanks for spreading happiness. Try making Udipi sambar using Karnataka sambar powder.
Enjoi!!
Nichiro

rain
18th January 2006, 10:42 PM
hello nichiro,

few days back i noticed this flesh color vegetable at the grocery.it was named "lotus root"(spotted it in the thai veg section).known it also to be northern speciality but have never tasted before.so i am not sure.but it looked very nice.cud u please suggest some recipes and advise how best it can be cooked?

thanks and regards,

rain

Suja Rajkumar
24th January 2006, 08:06 PM
Hello Nichiro,
Yesterday I tried out Udupi sambhar and Sathabishekam rasam. Both came out excellent. It was hard to say which one tasted better than the other. Both were very good. I am planning to make this sambhar for my child's first birthday party this Sat. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Suja

rks
1st February 2006, 07:42 PM
Hello Hemantji,
I have been following the postings for the last month (and had to wait just as long for my account to be activated) so I can personally thank you for this nothing-short-of-fabulous job you are doing in sharing your recipes and hence giving us an exotic flavour from all over India. I have found it very relevant especially being a Singaporean, I've not had much exposure to different Indian cuisines directly except to enjoy it when I travel to India.

Your forum provides this ability to bring all this right to my kitchen.
Along with the other senior hubbers, this is an outstanding service you continue to provide. So Kudos to you and the other hubbers....

I have tried many recipes from you collections and I must say they have all been a huge hit at home.

I also appreciate the ease with which they can be made and the effort you have taken to explain them in a simple yet effective way.

Thank you.

RK

kavithasenthil
21st March 2006, 09:45 PM
Dear Nichiro,

Tried MADDUR VADE last month. it was a big hit. Like someone said i had it with coconut chutney and it tasted so good. Thank you very much.

Shoba
23rd March 2006, 09:17 AM
Any chance of indexing the recipes like the Tamil Nadu Delicacies & Palakkad Recipe thread...?

Regards,
Shoba

dev
23rd March 2006, 09:27 AM
Shoba,

I thought Palakkad recipes thread is already indexed... pls chk it out...tamilnadu delicacies part 1 is indexed... will try to index the 2nd part when I find time...

Shoba
23rd March 2006, 12:36 PM
Sorry Dev, what I meant was, like TN delicacies & Palakkad recipes, can the recipes on this thread be indexed as well... :oops:

Shoba

dev
23rd March 2006, 12:41 PM
Yes... but it might take some time... am a bit busy these days, Shoba... else if someone can create the index & PM me, I can post it in the 1st page of the thread... Any volunteers?...

Shoba
23rd March 2006, 05:08 PM
Yes... but it might take some time... am a bit busy these days, Shoba... else if someone can create the index & PM me, I can post it in the 1st page of the thread... Any volunteers?...

I was just thinking aloud. Thanks for considering though...

Regards,
Shoba

praveena
3rd April 2006, 06:36 PM
hai everybody,
i am praveena srikanth .i am a new comer to hub .i can share my south indian home recipes for new cooks as a house wifes .little bit maches the chitinad like paal paniyaram,chicken items ,fish items ,biriyanis,mutton items ,rava paniyaram,etc.if u need help i can help,because i suffered a lot when i am new to cooking as a house wife

ok thanks .

RedPepper
3rd April 2006, 07:59 PM
hai everybody,
i am praveena srikanth .i am a new comer to hub .i can share my south indian home recipes for new cooks as a house wifes .little bit maches the chitinad like paal paniyaram,chicken items ,fish items ,biriyanis,mutton items ,rava paniyaram,etc.if u need help i can help,because i suffered a lot when i am new to cooking as a house wife

ok thanks .

Please start posting your recipes Praveena. Welcome to the forumhub.

praveena
7th April 2006, 08:50 PM
here is the recipe for RAVA PANIYARAM

rava-1cup,
maida flour-2cups,
coconut-1/2cup,
sugar as for the taste,
pinch of baking soda,
pinch of salt,
elakai is optional.

first marinate rava for 10 to 15 min and then blend it smoothly.then blend coconut and sugar with rava once again.before that add baking soda ,salt ,elakai powder in the flour and then add the rava blended and then add some water and make as a paste (it should be pourable,not sooo thick).taste it to make sure for sugar if u want u can add some sugar directly to the paste .heat oil in a suasepan for deep fry .pour some mixture in a nice rounded hand sticks and then pour directly into the suasepan ,make sure the oil is hot and then u can turn the paniyaram and fry them until it is lightly brown at the edges of paniyaram .

note:if the paniyaram is not round enough .make sure the paste is thick if u think it is thin u can add some more flour to it and then try it again

Noodles
12th April 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Praveena!

Could u please post Chettinadu Kulambu Varities.

Thanks in Advance

Nichiro
12th April 2006, 10:57 PM
Hello Dear Hubbers,

Your's truely Nichiro is leaving Indian shores for US for good on 15th April. Settling in Detroit.

After settling down, I would start my postings as time permits.

vm
13th April 2006, 12:01 AM
Dear Hemantji,

Welcome aboard,hope to see more recipes from you.

Nichiro
16th April 2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks VM,

Reached Boston yesterday afternoon after a loooooooooong flight. Think , today would be ok.
Will post after I reach Detroit.

Nichiro

Noodles
16th April 2006, 05:24 PM
Praveena I got ur recipes but thats for Non vegetarian kulambu

Could u pls post Kulampu podi for Vegetarian Curry

and few veg kulambu varieites of usung this podi

praveena
18th April 2006, 11:19 AM
ok i will soon post u some of the vegetarian kulambu but this podi is int ment for vegetarian kulambu but u can use it for like califlower curry potato curry stuffs like that

Noodles
18th April 2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks Praveena!

Eagerly waiting for your recipes!

Thanks in Advance

praveena
21st April 2006, 01:01 PM
here is the recipe for green peas kolambu

GREEN PEAS KOLAMBU

INGREDIENTS:
cinamon stick-1,
bayleaf - 1,
and all kinds of patai saaman
seeragam - 1 tsp,
sombu - 1/2 tsp,
garlic glove - 1,
onion large - 1 or 2,
tomatoes - 2,
chilli powder-2 tsp
turmeric powder -a pinch
green peas - 1/2 kg or pound
water
salt to taste.
coconut milk

now add oil to the cooker or pan and add all the ingredients one by one and nicely saute the onions and tomatoes and then add the chilli powder ,turmeric powder ,salt and then finally add green peas and immediately pour water to it and close the lid and keep it for one whistle not more then that ,after that open the lid and cook them upto the kolambu gets thicken and finally add some coconut milk to it before thickening .finally taste it and then remove it from the flame.

NOTE:please use fresh peas or if u r using frozen one make sure it look like dark green

THE SAME RECIPE IS USED FOR WHOLE CHANA KOLAMBU(KONDA KADALAI OR SUNDA KADALAI)

Nichiro
16th May 2006, 12:51 AM
Dear Friends,

My website has been taken off the net for a short while.
It will reappear minus my name and under new name of,

www.naivedhya.com

Nichiro

cynthia_a02
18th May 2006, 04:07 AM
Dear Nichiro Sir,
i tried ur muttai kulambhu receipe.it's very very nice.thanks a lot.bye.

Nichiro
21st May 2006, 09:28 AM
Dear Hubbers,

The website is up and running.

vijikr
17th June 2006, 09:02 PM
hi praveena,

Thanks for your recipe pls do post your kulamb ovarieties and especially i have been looking for chettinadu podi for nonveg.

Espcially your i mean chettinadu podi for fish,mutton and chicken.

Hoping to see your wonderfull recipes soon :D :wink:

Viji

gkals
19th July 2006, 02:19 AM
Hi nichiro,

Can we omit adding acetic acid in the kothumalli pickle(recipe in ur website).
thanks

Nichiro
31st July 2006, 04:24 PM
gkals,

Acetic acid/vinegar is used to preserve the kothumalli pickle.

You can use citric acid crystals in its place. But I would prefer to use Acetic acid only.

Nichiro

rks
16th August 2006, 07:37 AM
Hi, does anyone know a good recipe for oothappam? I have tried a variety of them but somehow the ones in the traditional south indian restaurants are a lot thicker (I also tried thickening the batter but it tastes like a thick thosai)...does anyone have a "south indian eatery style" oothappam recipe? (they taste quite diffrent from a thick version of thosai).
Thanks a lot.
Radha

pr
17th August 2006, 03:20 AM
Try Mrs Manos version . comes out really good . Tried it once and came out well

rks
18th August 2006, 06:09 AM
thank you...let me look it up in the other thread. thanks.

suvai
13th November 2006, 05:43 AM
Hi Hemant,
Could you kindly tell me where I can find your receipes ( both old & new ) thank you.............regards.........Suvai

Nichiro
22nd January 2007, 04:12 AM
Friends,
After a long time, I am posting a recipe that you would love to use again and again.

MASOOR DAL .......( RED LENTIL )

One dal that I had never shared with anybody so far was Masoor dal made by me . I learnt this recipe from my maternal uncle based at Raniganj (West Bengal)
This dal has very simple spice content but it has that great taste that would make you ask for more.
Try it out and let me know.

INGREDIENTS

Masoor Dal (Red Lentils) 200 gms.
Onion 1 no.(medium)
Garlic 2 to 3 cloves if large and more if small.
Garlic-Red chilli powder paste 1/2 tsp
Ginger 1." piece ( Thumb thick)
Green Chillies (thin round slices) 3 to 4 nos.
Lime Juice from 1/2 lime.
Asafoetida (raw) 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida 1/2 sp for Tadka
Jeera 3/4 spoon
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp.
Jeera Powder....1/4 tsp
Cilantrol 2 to 3 tsp (nicely chopped)
Oil...2 ladles
Salt To taste

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Pressure cook Dhall with just about enough water so that the dal is properly cooked but is not watery.It should retain whole body and not mismashed and overcooked as in sambar type.
When the steam subsides, remove from cooker and set aside
Add needed salt now and slowly mix it with ladle. Under no circumstances it should become homogenous mass .
So you should not churn it .If you feel that the Dhall is too thick, you may add little quantity of water now. But remember that you have to enjoy this dhall in its thick form only.

Slice onions, Green chillies and set aside.Next slice Garlic in thin rounds and set aside. Add grated Ginger and Garlic chutney to cooked Masoor dal first .Now take oil in a Kadai
and add Jeera and Hing. After five seconds,add Green chillies and onion on a medium flame. As soon as onion starts becoming pinkish and sticking to sides, add Garlic slices,
Turn for about 20 seconds at the maximum. Do not over fry Garlic . Pour the tempering on top of the cooked Dal. Immediately cover the Dal.

After five minutes, add salt ,Jeera powder and Turmeric and queez half lime on top of the Dal and mix gently with a ladle , Let the dal set for about an hour before lunch or dinner. Re heat before serving.
Enjoy with Paratha, Rotis and Plain Rice. . You should garnish with cilantro just before serving .

Nichiroojii

Kavitha Ravi
23rd January 2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks Nichirooji, that was truly tasty.
Even though I did not have asafoetida (raw).
The taste was wonderful. Do drop in with recipes once in a way. Thanks.Kavitha Ravi

Nichiro
24th January 2007, 10:46 PM
Hello Kavitha,

Thanks for the feedback.
How do u manage without Perangayum ?

Nichiroojii

Kavitha Ravi
25th January 2007, 01:14 PM
Well Nichirooji when you said raw, I thought the asafoetida which they sell in India which I think is 50grms or so for Rs100/
What we have here is compounded asafoetida powder S.M brand from Chennai.
Its contents are edible gum,
wheat flour 50 grms
asafoetida.
The net weight is 50 grms.

You can dump the whole contents, there won't be any smell. Thanks

Nichiro
27th January 2007, 04:07 AM
ok Kavitha Ma,
Life is sometimes like that/
When you are in India, try and get real Perangaayam from Madras Ambika Provision stores in Govindappa Naicken street which is very near NSC BOse road Junction with Govindappa Naicken street. It may be around 1200 to 1800 rupees a kilo.
But once you start using that, Your cokking will never be the same.

Nichiroojii.

Nichiro
27th January 2007, 04:09 AM
Friends,

If you have no time and want to make a filling breakfast or dinner for one with one item, I would suggest the following

RABE DOSA (My latest concoction).

Ingredients

100 gms Besan
30 gms Fine sooji Rawa
2 Tbsp sour curd
3 pinches of Ajwain seeds
1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp Chilli powder
2 to 3 green chiles grated
2 Tbsp cilantro leaves (chopped)
Salt to taste
2 pinches Baking/cooking soda
Oil for dosa

Method Of Preparation.

Mix Sooji Rawa, Besan, Chilli powder, Asafoetida and Ajwain seeds in a vessel in dry state thoroughly.
Add luke warm water to bring to dosa batter consistancy. See that no lumps are left.
Leave for about ten minutes.
Now add sour curd ,Green chiles and cilantro and mix thoroughly.
Add three pinches of cooking soda and again mix briskly using a ladle.

Spread the batter on Hot tawa and prepare dosais as usual turning both the sides.
You will get evenly browned , crisp and wonderful tasting dosais .
Enjoy with Chutney, Tomato sauce or just with tea if you want.
If you like , you may post the feedback.

Nichiroojii

Nichiro
29th January 2007, 03:19 AM
Friends,

I am posting another variation of Pongal. Hope you would like it.

Moondra Parappu Pongal (Spicy Three Lentil + Rice hotchpotch)

INTRODUCTION
Moondra Parappu Pongal, which is a variation conconcoted by me is a surprisingly very different in visual appeal . Very easy and quick to prepare.
it is refreshingly tasty and keeps southern appeal till the last morsel. It is best enjoyed with coconut chutney. This is a great dish for chilly winter evenings.

INGREDIENTS

1 Cup Of Rice (don't use very old rice)
1/2 Cup of Dal mix (Moong dal + Masoor Dal + Channa Dal)
( Masoor must be twice that of Moong dal and channa dal)
1 Tea spoon of Jeera (coarsely broken)
1/2 tsp of Broken Black Pepper
1/2tsp of Whole black pepper
1/2 Cup of Ghee (small cup)
2 Broken Red Chillies
2 green chiles (thinly sliced in rounds)
1" thumb thickness Ginger (grated)
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
8 Cashew nuts broken in half or 1/4th
2 Sprigs of Curry leaves
1/2 tsp of Asafoetida
Salt to taste

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Unlike usual roasting of dals in Ghee, here you pressure cook dals and rice directly. Put rice and dal mixture directly in pressure cooker..
Add all the ingredients except whole peppers and red chiles for tempering in ghee. prepare the tadka (tempering) using ghee.
when ghee is hot, add whole black peppers, red chillies and curry leaves and lasly little Asafoetida. Pour it over the rice and dal mix in cooker.
Add just enough water so that it makes a Khichadi type loose hotchpotch and not watery gruel.
Add grated ginger on top and add salt to taste.

Pressure cook for 2 whistles (In Hawkins). Fry cashewnuts in a little ghee till they are golden brown. When Pongal is cooked , add Cashewnuts on top before serving .If you want your pongal with more ghee, add some more heated ghee at this stage
Enjoy with coconut chutney.

And feed back as usual would be just great

Nichiroojii

dsankaran
30th January 2007, 02:25 AM
Nichiro Ji, I made thool pakoda with your recipe. It turned out really good and reminded me of the store-bought crispy pakodas sold in sweet stalls in Chennai. Thank you.

Wondering if you can provide the recipe for the cutlet pattani masala sold in Marina beach. (I am not sure if they sell it anymore)

Nichiro
30th January 2007, 11:28 AM
dsankaran

Thanks for your feedback. I know what you are asking for. I miss Madras Beach Sundal and other tidbits.
May be none of you know that there was a "Small beach" at the place of present day Reserve bank. From my house , we used to walk to NSC Bose road and catch a tram for small beach.
Sundal was 1 paisa and larger sundal pottalam was 2 paisa.

Where are those happy days ?

Nichiroojii

sivank
11th March 2007, 01:03 PM
Nichiro Ji,
Thanks for your reciepes. I regularly cook and with your help I am becoming a better cook. I am not seeing you now a days so often in this page. Why?
Anbudan
Sivan.

Nichiro
13th March 2007, 09:24 AM
Sivan,

Thanks for your kind appreciation. Keep on cooking and you will spread happiness .

Nichiro

Nichiro
25th August 2009, 06:43 PM
Dear friends,

Having finally retired, I have started devoting my time to my hobbies. The chief among them , as you all old timers know is, COOKING.

I have been inactive for a long time. So I may not know a lot of present day Hubbers frequenting Food forum.

I will start posting recipes that I cook.
Hope our re union will last till death do us apart. LOL.

Yours

Hemant Trivedi

NOV
25th August 2009, 06:46 PM
Welcome back Hemant ji :D

pavalamani pragasam
25th August 2009, 07:22 PM
And do revive your creative literary skills too!

dev
25th August 2009, 08:04 PM
welcome back dear Hemantji...:)

kugan98
25th August 2009, 08:23 PM
Welcome uncle Hermentji.
Its nice to see you back with your recipes.
kugan98

Hemant Trivedi
25th August 2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks all of you who have welcomed me with so much of love and affection.
I am touched.

So Nichiro needs to be retired and Hemant Trivedi needs to be reinstated.

Hope it is not much of a problem.

Thanks all of you once again.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
27th August 2009, 02:39 AM
[tscii]
Dear Friends,

Over in North and Western India, we have combined dals . We have a combination of two, Three and Five dals. Today, I am starting with BEVDI (Double) Dal. Generally we have Moong+Masoor dals, Thoram parappu+Kadalai Parappu as combinations.
I am posting first combination which is very tasty.

[html:43a00ed1c7]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2501/3859561105_a10568eaf6_o.jpg
[/html:43a00ed1c7][/

BEVADI DAL

INGREDIENTS

100 gms Mung Dal
50 gms Masoor Dal
1 No. Onion sliced( fairly large onion)
2 Nos. Tomatoes (diced)
1 cup cilantro chopped finely
1.5" thumb sized Ginger finelly grated
3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
1 Spoon Turmeric powder
3 to 4 Nos. Green chillies
1 TBsp Pure Ghee
1/2 Spoon Asafoetida
5 to 6 cloves
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 Spoon of Lime Juice OR one spoon of Amchur powder
Salt to taste
Enough water for cooking

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Soak Dals for about 2 hours . Thereafter, cook with twice the water directly instead in a steam cooker along with one spoon of Ghee, Salt, Red Chilli powder and Turmeric.Cook the dals well but take care to see that the dal does not become mushy. When the Dhal combo is cooked, transfer to a Patela and add Green Chillies and Tomatoes .Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on a medium flame. Keep stirring or else the Dhall will stick to the bottom. Now add finely chopped Kothumalli and cook for another 2 minutes .Cover the vessel and remove from Stove and set aside. Take some ghee in a kadai and sauté sliced Onion till light pink. Add half a spoon of Asafoetida just when the Onion is turning Pink. Now add the Onion to Dal. Finally add a spoon of Fresh lime Juice and stir it well .

TADKA,

Add 0.5 tsp of Cumin and 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds to heated oil of your choice as soon as they start popping, add cloves and bay leaves and add finely cut Garlic. Give a tadka and cover the patela and keep for 15 minutes.
Serve hot .

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
27th August 2009, 04:23 AM
Hemantji,
The dal recipe looks like a must try one!
Thank you & will let you know once i make it.
s

jaaze
27th August 2009, 07:06 AM
what does the title mean? :?

Hemant Trivedi
27th August 2009, 07:39 AM
Suvai,

You would be amazed at the taste.

Hemant Trivedi
27th August 2009, 07:41 AM
jazze,

If you mean BEVADI DAL, then I have already explained the meaning . It means double dal. Two different dals cooked together.

jaaze
27th August 2009, 08:10 AM
thanks Hemant. I do not understand the term Naivedhyam. :?

Hemant Trivedi
27th August 2009, 08:24 AM
Naivedhyam is a term used to call Prasadham which is offered to God.

jaaze
27th August 2009, 08:26 AM
ok.. thanks for the clarification

Mrs.Mano
27th August 2009, 08:42 AM
Respected Mr.Trivedi!

Welcome back to forumhub!! I really feel very happy to see yr posting in yr thread! I sincerely hope that more and more delicious recipes would arrive soon!!

Hemant Trivedi
27th August 2009, 04:00 PM
Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for the welcome. Actually I am deeply honoured by the love and affection shown to this mercurial old man by friends and admin of FH.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
28th August 2009, 08:29 PM
Friends,

I always marveled at my elder sister's Green Chilli pickle and could never duplicate it for the lack
of correct recipe.Now that I have it, I am sharing the same with you guys.

I have always eaten Green chilli pickle which has either Green Sour Mango or Vinegar or Lime
as the souring agent which double up as preservative along with salt.

The pickle I am talking about now does not use any souring agent and yet IMHO surpasses
any Green Chilli pickle in taste.

I set about making this pickle the way my sister in Jamnagar has been doing it for the
last forty five years. The result is a pickle which is just out of this wolrd in taste
and flavour.(Original recipe does not have mustard oil. I added it and found that
the taste and flavour are enhanced.)

LILA MARCHA NU ATHANU.....(Green Chilli Pickle)

INGREDIENTS
250 Gms ............ Green chilies (Thai)cut in 1 to 1.5 cm size.
60 to 70 gms........ Salt (add as per taste)
75 to 80 gms........ Black/Red Mustard Seeds Powder( small variety)
1 tsp to 1.5 tsp.... Hing (Asafoetida Powder)
If you are using real hing, use about size of a green pea.
30 ml ...............Mustard oil
1 tsp............... Methi (Fenugreek) seeds

FOR TADKA

60 to 75 ml......... Oil for Tadka (peanut oil)
1.5 tsp .............Asafoetida,
1.5 tsp............. Turmeric Powder
1/8 tsp .............Methi seeds for Tadka
1/2 Tsp to 1 tsp ....Mustard seeds for Tadka

METHOD OF PREPARATION
Select firm Thai or any Hot/Mild variety of Chilli peppers as per your liking.
Wash thoroughly and remove stalks. Give a bath of vinegar for three to four minutes.
(Remove vinegar and you can refill the vinegar for future use) Wash once again
using cold water and rub the chillies dry.

Wearing gloves, cut the chillies in 1 to 1.5 cms length.
Do not remove seeds.
Take a spoon of cooking oil in a Tadka Pan and add 1 tsp of methi seeds .
Heat till methi seeds become brownish and emit fine aroma. Remove and let them cool.
Take 60 to 75 ml of oil for Tadka and add mustard seeds and Methi seeds. When mustard starts popping, immediately add Hing. Remove from fire and cool immediately .
Take 75 gms of Mustard seeds and powder.Take a handful of mustard powder and add fried Fenugreek seeds and Hing and powder the lot. Set aside.
Put cut chillies in a clean steel vessel and add salt, Turmeric powder and methi+Hing+Mustard powder and Mustard oil first and mix thoroughly. Let the mixture marinate for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, add mustard powderand cold Tadka oil mix. Mix the whole thing thoroughly and fill in a glass bottle.
Forget about the pickle for 15 days.

Open the bottle after the pickle matures at the end of two weeks and enjoy the most heavenly tasting Green chilli pickle.

Nichiro

LEAN MEAN AND GREEN THAI CHILIES

[html:e604ad86b9]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3865081394_f39d0d551d_o.jpg
[/html:e604ad86b9]

CHILI PICKLE IN A BOWL BEFORE BOTTTLING.

[html:e604ad86b9]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2477/3864335745_3f0bf43acd_o.jpg
[/html:e604ad86b9]

Hemant Trivedi

nithishri
29th August 2009, 05:19 AM
Hello Hemanth ji
I am a first time visitor to your thread and I can see the expertise that you have in cooking by just reading one recipe of yours.
Your minute detailing would help us a lot

Thanks for decorating the forum with your jewel embedded posts Sir :)

Regards
Nithi

Hemant Trivedi
29th August 2009, 04:51 PM
Nithishri,

Thanks for your kind words. I will really feel happy when you cook my recipes and then give your feedback.
You can visit my website which has all my recipes published on FORUM-HUB sofar in last nine years or more (I have forgotten )
The link is in signature area.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
29th August 2009, 06:15 PM
[tscii]Friends,
if you are looking for that Maharashtrian Magic "Kanda Poha", the following recipe may charm you.

KANDA POHA

Beaten rice/Aval/Beaten Rice with onion and spices

A visit to Maharashtrian home would invariably result in you being offered famous Kanda-Poha.
My first taste of this wonderfully simple but very tasty dish was at PACHMARHI in Madhya Pradesh
in summer of 1978.
It was at the home of maharashtrian army colonel.I am giving the recipe as follows.

Kaandha Poha (Maharashtrian Potato-Onion Beaten Rice)
Kaandha Poha is a traditional Indian (Maharashtrian) snack which sometimes works as
main dish also. There are many variations . I am giving the one I like most.

[html:c94416b674]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/3867566030_c3c379860c_o.jpg
[/html:c94416b674]

INGREDIENTS

3 cups beaten rice (poha)
2 tsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Urad Dhall (Optional)
1 tbsp of kismis
8 to 10 broken cashewnuts
1/4 to 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2to3 green chillies cut finely
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 potato,
salt
Little water to sprinkle
1/2 Tsp lemon, juice
chopped coriander leaves (1/4 cup)
2 sprigs Curry leaves.

METHOD OF PREPARATION:

Select beaten rice(POHA) which are firm and not waferlike. Ask for Jada/Mota poha.
Poha is available in different thicknesses. Hence select firm but not too thick and small poha.

Soak poha in enough water to cover for 5 to 7 minutes.
First drain excess water and squeeze out by pressing handfuls of beaten rice.
Don't press too hard or else poha will become broken useless mass.
But don't let much water be left or else the end dish will become soggy.Set aside .
You may use thick tissue /kitchen paper to spread and then use poha.

Dice potatoes in small size of 3 cm cubes and set aside.
Heat oil in a Kadai/skillet , add the mustard seeds,urad dhall, curry leaves
and finely cut green chillies. Add Kismis last.
When the mustard starts to splutter, first add the onion and later potato and saute
for four to five minutes.
Add salt and sprinlkle little water, and cover with a plate.
After 5 minutes, uncover, add the poha and saute for another 5 minutes.
Take care not to break poha in irragula mass as it will lose its appeal.
Remove from flame add lime juice. Garnish with chopped coriander.

Serve hot.

2nd recipe

Serves: 4
Cooking time (approx.): 8 minutes
Style: Maharashtrian

4 cups beaten rice flakes - thick variety (jaada poha)
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds
1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
2 green chilli(es) slit or chopped fine
1 sprig curry leaves
2 big onions sliced fine
˝ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
chopped fresh coriander to garnish

Wash the beaten rice in water thoroughly. Drain and Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a pan. Toss in the mustard and cumin seeds. Fry till they crackle. Add the green chillies and curry leaves. Add the onions and turmeric powder. Stir-fry on medium / low level for about 4 minutes or till the onions are pinkish. Add the chopped fresh coriander and stir-fry briefly till they wilt.
Mix in the beaten rice and salt to taste. Mix in a few tablespoons of water into the beaten rice. Cover and cook on low level for about 4 minutes or till the water has been absorbed by the beaten rice softening it and the flavors are well blended. Do not overcook the beaten rice as it tends to harden. keep covered for a few minutes before serving.
TIP:

Beaten rice is available in two varieties; thick and thin.
Serve hot garnished with: chopped fresh coriander

Hemant Trivedi

dev
29th August 2009, 06:22 PM
Hemanthji, I'm planning to try the mix veg pickle... have a dubt though... what is raw tomato?... is the the green unripe ones?..& can we use cabbage & beans(instead of cluster beans) in the recipe? & wen do we add the sugar?...

Hemant Trivedi
29th August 2009, 07:10 PM
Hemanthji, I'm planning to try the mix veg pickle... have a dubt though... what is raw tomato?... is the the green unripe ones?..& can we use cabbage & beans(instead of cluster beans) in the recipe? & wen do we add the sugar?...

Dev,

Nice to see you after ages.
No, I would not suggest you to use cabbage . But you can use Cabbage leaf central portion which is highly fibrous. Beans can become mushy in a short while so better to avoid them.
Kotthuvaranka is best.

Sugar is an option, if you want to have yin-yang taste, then add sugar along with lime juice/vinegar addition time.

Hemant Trivedi

dev
29th August 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Hemantji... Same here!!!...

how abt cauliflower?...& I guess u missed out the raw tomato clari I asked for...

Hemant Trivedi
29th August 2009, 08:39 PM
Dev,

I would avoid cauli flower if the flower florets are loose. How ever, u may add small but hard florets. Raw tomato is firm unripe tomato. Use Nattu Thakkali please.

Hemant Trivedi

dev
29th August 2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Hemantji... will try & let u know...

nithishri
29th August 2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you Hemanthji , i went through your website and found some really great recipes to enter it into my cook book that i am maintaining

I was goin through the tipz/tricks section and now I have a query to make.
Last week my friend had visited my place and she really likes the egg gravy that i make .. as she had visited my house after a long time ... I was having a good chat with her, paying less attention on the egg kolambu ..somehow the gravy was not thick enough ,as in oil did not separate from the gravy and I think i added a bit of more water to the gravy..and the more i let it boil yielded no results. finally it just turned out disastrous(according to me ), however she did not complain of it as she was my beloved friend.

Such incidences happen once in a while when i am not payin enough attention , could you please instruct me where I am going wrong and what should I be doing in such cases .
Any suggestions to thicken the gravy effortlessly would help.

Regards
Nithi

Hemant Trivedi
30th August 2009, 02:38 AM
Nithishri,

Fastest and best method to repair gravy woes is as follows.
Make a powder of about ten cashewnuts . Add about 15 ml of water and mix with finger. It will make a fine thick paste. Add it to the thin gravy that you want to repair. Add a pich of salt for the cashew paste.
If you do not have cashew, take about a table spoon of maida , slightly roast it and then make a thich paste by adding water as above. Your gravy will become thick and the taste will be maintained.

This is a quickfix method. It never fails.

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
30th August 2009, 08:20 PM
vanakam hemanthji.......i tried your dhal & it came out veryyyy well....super taste like u had mentioned....thank u nga!
next is the phoa on my list...will let u know of the result too.

nithishri
30th August 2009, 10:45 PM
Thank you Hemanthji .. great tip :)

Hemant Trivedi
31st August 2009, 04:14 PM
vanakam hemanthji.......i tried your dhal & it came out veryyyy well....super taste like u had mentioned....thank u nga!
next is the phoa on my list...will let u know of the result too.

Suvai,

This dhal never fails to satisfy people. Try it with guests. They would give you full marks.
Thanks for the feedback.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
31st August 2009, 04:16 PM
Thank you Hemanthji .. great tip :)

nithishri,

Please remember that the best of the cooks Have to do the repair job almost on daily basis because they always try to innovate. So don't be afraid to try new things.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
31st August 2009, 08:03 PM
Friends,

Rainy season and chili bajji has a close realationship. I have had some of the most wonderful Bajjis in Jamnagar in Gujarat, Shamla ji in Rajasthan and Bangalore.Eventhough Bajjis are available throughout the year , there is no better time to enjoy them as Rainy season.

I prepared stuffed Bajjis last week. I used Bajji chili peppers for the purpose.Generally you might have heard of only chili bajjis but this might be the first time you would be seeing stuffed chili bajjis.
Select Proper type of Chili peppers as under.

[html:f72d6b0491]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2632/3841252426_f41e6ddfff_o.jpg
[/html:f72d6b0491]

STUFF THEM WITH STUFFING AS UNDER

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/3840493985_415cebb16d_o.jpg

FRY THEM AFTER DIPPING IN BATTER

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2637/3840491557_f45cdcb20b_o.jpg

INGREDIENTS

Green chili peppers of choice......5 TO 6 Nos.
Kadalai parappu/Channa dal...1/4 cup
Onion paste made from 1/2 onion(medium size)
Dhania Jeera powder (freshly made) 1.5 tsp
Chili powder......1/4 to 1/2 tsp as per need or hot green chillies 2 to 3 nos cut very fine/rough paste
Kothumalli cut very fine ....2 tsp.
Asafoetida (LG) 1/4 Tsp (milder variety)
Amchur/lemon juice just a little (1/4 tsp)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying....250 ml or more as per need

FOR BATTER

3/4 Cup of Besan/Kadalai maavu
1/4 cup Rice flour
Turmeric powder...1/2 tsp
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Coarsly powdered coriander seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
water

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Soak channa dal for three hours. Dry it thoroughly and then powder it in mixi.Keep it in a wide mouth vessel. Add onion after that to the bowl and make a pate. Add it to channa dal powder. Add Dhania-Jeera powder, chili powder , asafoetida, salt , Kothumalli and knead a thick dough. DO NOT ADD ANY WATER IN STUFFING DOUGH. Onion paste is enough as binder.

Slice each Chili pepper and remove seeds . Stuff each sliced chili pepper with stuffing and keep it ready for frying.

Now prepare the batter for dipping. Mix Besan/Kadalai maavu and Rice flour in a bowl . Add Turmeric, chili powder , salt and Asafoetida to that and mix thoroughly. Ad little water to make it into slightly thicker batter than Idly batter.

Place a kadai on stove with enough oil for frying. When oil is sufficiently hot, test it by dropping a drop of batter.
Dip each stuffed chili pepper in thick batter carefully, roll it over for uniform coating and slowly place it in hot oil and fry on medium heat thoroughly.

Serve hot with tomato sauce or chutney of choice or just tea/coffee.

Enjoy !!

Hemant Trivedi

nithishri
1st September 2009, 10:59 AM
Sure Hemanthji .. :) i will keep tat in mind :)

Just curious .. what kind of chilly pepper have u used for this stuffed bajji Hemanthji.. It looks really interesting to try out the recipe

Hemant Trivedi
1st September 2009, 04:21 PM
Nithishri,

I have used locally available (In USA) sweet peppers which are almost same in taste as Bajji Mozaka available in Tamilnadu and Bangalore.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
2nd September 2009, 04:50 AM
Friends,

Last week I had cooked many dishes . I will share some with you in photographs.

CHUTNEY CHAWAL..(Mint+Kothumalli pulao)

[html:e48b5b2dd9]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2460/3868282959_4a9d15d23e_o.jpg
[/html:e48b5b2dd9]

RAJMA-PARATHA

[html:e48b5b2dd9]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2436/3879799808_81ecb79208_o.jpg
[/html:e48b5b2dd9]

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
2nd September 2009, 06:07 PM
Wishing all hubbers "A VERY HAPPY ONAM"

Hemant Trivedi
4th September 2009, 02:19 AM
Friends,

Among vegetables, Brinjal has been refered to as "King of vegetables" and among tubers, Potato has been crowned as the "King Of Tubers"

And stuffed Avatar of both these great veggies is ultimate curry.

On Monday last, I prepared RINGANA-BATETA NU BHARELU SHAAK or Stuffed Brinjal-Potato Curry. I enjoyed it with Rotis and Rice.

CUT-STUFFED AND READY FOR THE FRYING PAN

[html:092a70ccff]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3884516539_5bf9dda410_o.jpg
[/html:092a70ccff]

READY TO BE SERVED

[html:092a70ccff]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3885320952_6db0d128dd_o.jpg
[/html:092a70ccff]

If anyone wants the recipe, please put in a request. I will be too glad to make him/her happy.

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
4th September 2009, 04:24 AM
Hi Hemanthji,
We all would certainly be glad if you could post the stuffed egg plant & potato recipe.
Thank u in advance.

Hemant Trivedi
5th September 2009, 03:17 AM
Friends,

Among vegetables, Brinjal has been refered to as "King of vegetables" and among tubers, Potato has been crowned as the "King Of Tubers"

And stuffed Avatar of both these great veggies is ultimate curry.

On Monday last, I prepared RINGANA-BATETA NU BHARELU SHAAK or Stuffed Brinjal-Potato Curry. I enjoyed it with Rotis and Rice.

CUT-STUFFED AND READY FOR THE FRYING PAN

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3884516539_5bf9dda410_o.jpg

READY TO BE SERVED

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3885320952_6db0d128dd_o.jpg

If anyone wants the recipe, please put in a request. I will be too glad to make him/her happy.

Hemant Trivedi

Suvai,

In the above recipe, most important is the filling.
I used the following ingredients for filling.

Kadalai parappu/Channa dal...1/4 cup (soaked for 2 hours, dried and powdered) or coarse Besan roasted slightly.
Onion paste made from 1/2 onion(medium size)
Dhania Jeera powder (freshly made) 1.5 tsp
Chili powder......1/4 to 1/2 tsp as per need or hot green chillies 2 to 3 nos cut very fine/rough paste
Kothumalli cut very fine ....2 tsp.
Asafoetida (LG) 1/4 Tsp (milder variety)
Salt to taste

About salt addition, please remember that you need to put in slightly more salt than usual because the salt in the filling is what you are adding for the whole stock.
But nowadays, I use usual salt quantity in filling dough but sprinkle a little salt on the top to give an equal salty taste.

You can use your own recipe for filling out of many types of fillings like Garlic chilli paste in coconut and channa dal powder or besan .
Some people use peanut powder with spices , garlic , chilli paste. There is no end to filling recipes.

But always remember to cook the veggies after filling in oil and just a sprinkle of little water to generate enough steam to cook.

This curry is best enjoyed when dry and cooked in oil only.

There is another curry called Sambahriya which is stuffed curry of say Brinjals or potato , but in thick gravy.
My wife likes it that way.
May be next time, I will post Stuffed Sambhariya of say Brinjal.

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
5th September 2009, 03:40 AM
Hemanth ji,
Interesting stuffing....will surely try it.
Plz do post chutney pulao recipe too nga!
Thank u!
s

Hemant Trivedi
5th September 2009, 04:27 AM
Hemanth ji,
Interesting stuffing....will surely try it.
Plz do post chutney pulao recipe too nga!
Thank u!
s

Suvai,

You will find CHUTNEY CHAWAL recipe in my website. Click on the following link.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/Ricedishes/chutney_chawal.html

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
5th September 2009, 05:35 AM
Thank u Hemanthji!

Hemant Trivedi
5th September 2009, 11:21 PM
If I am given a choice to select best of the three chutneys, I would definitely select Peerkangai Thol Thuvayal as the best. This is because it has such a pure taste and universal application that there is nothing with which you cannot use this chutney. May it be dosai or Idlies etc or just plain rice.
My favorite way to eat this chutney is with steaming rice and Ghee.

You will find the recipe here. Just click the following URL.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/chutnies/peerkanga.html

SKIN AFTER FRYING LIGHTLY WITH SPICES AND ULANDHU PARAPPU.

[html:2f8591dfce]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/3890463140_362d7318b2_o.jpg
[/html:2f8591dfce]

THUVAYAL READY TO BE SERVED

[html:2f8591dfce]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/3889682613_0540afd54c_o.jpg
[/html:2f8591dfce]

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
7th September 2009, 07:21 PM
Friends,

Last night, I prepared Avial and Rice . I broke away from traditional addition of coconut oil. I used traditional recipe minus the oil addition part. As an experiment, I used 1/2 cup of cream of coconut from Thailand and the result was just superb Avial. None of the family members could detect lack of coconut oil. We enjoyed with steaming rice and Rotis.

KERALA GOODY....AVAIL, THE WHOLE BOWL OF IT

[html:8476e828ea]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3893975885_3f28d57973_o.jpg
[/html:8476e828ea]

RICE AND AVIAL

[html:8476e828ea]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/3894775356_65692b386d_o.jpg
[/html:8476e828ea]

Recipe on request.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
8th September 2009, 06:11 PM
Friends,

When it was time to leave India for good (My sabbatical of 3.5 years was getting over as permitted by INS), I had two major worries on my mind.
One was to land a job in US and the other was getting final quota of Hing into USA.

My another worry was getting best Hing from Iran-Afghan border belt which is reported to yield best quality white /cream coloured Hing .(This becomes light brown over a period of time)

I had informed my Marwadi supplier Mahesh Provisions stores owner that he should try and get me the best possible hing as I wanted to take it to the USA.

About two weeks before my departure , I was informed by him that he had received the best possible real Hing supplied by Heera Hing people from Amritsar/Delhi.

I reached his shop and when I was shown the content of tin container, I was just dumb struck.
Never had I seen such fresh and real White Hing from Iran. And here was a tin full of 10 kgs of choicest real Hing. The rates had come down from 6000 rupees per kilo to 2500 per kilo.

I bought 250gms of Hing which could last me for over 2 to 3 years.(So you can imagine the strength of the Hing). I took a wiff of the sample and to my surprise, I burped. This is a sure sign of real hing.

When time came to pack my prized possession, I carefully packed it in triple layer of plastic and then the whole thing went into poly propylene container which was sealed by me using liberal length of tape.

I don't know what made me not add it to my checked in baggage. I removed it from my luggage and kept it in un accompanied baggage which was to come through DHL.I think I was afraid that all our clothes and bag's contents will smell of Asafoetida. And that's why I , at the last moment decided to put it in DHL parcel.

My friends sent the DHL parcel after a couple of days after my departure from Bangalore.

Soon after reaching Detroit from Boston , I received a call from my Son In Law that the boxes numbering three had arrived. The DHL had cleared two boxes and the third box could not be cleared as customs had refused to clear it and had kept for closer inspection.The boxes that were received at home did not have Hing in it. So my Son In Law concluded that the detained box was detained because of the Hing and spices packed in them.

Next day, I received a call that the customs had asked for the detailed list of the box. I sent the list by fax .
There was a silence from Boston for two days.
I started getting all sorts of morbid thoughts. I could not sleep due to the fact that the Hing had originated in Iran-Afghan region which is also infamous for Opium, Heroine and drugs. What if the drug paddlers had used strong smelling hing as camoflauge to hide drugs to mislead customs?
What if some traces were still there in my asafoetida?
What if the dogs at the airport of Boston had sniffed it out from my parcel?
In fact I was really scared.

All of a sudden, there was a call in the afternoon from Boston that the customs wanted my passport copy and my green card copy and also my Social security card copy.

This demand made my heart miss many many beats and I was , for the first time, Shit scared. My son talked to DHL lady and protested about social security card and gave only the number and rest of the demands were met by fax.

Again there was a silence of couple of days . These two days were sheer torture. I was under fire from my wife, son, daughter and who not?
They said I must be crazy to bring Asafoetida to US, everything was available here , and what was the need to bring Hing?
I had no answers to their questions.

Again on one Monday, there was a call from DHL saying ," No sir, mere Social security number won't do, Customs want the photocopy of the card."
This was the last straw on camel's back.
I was now certain that some son of a dog had made it certain that I should go to jail in USA for importing drugs laced spice called Asafoetida.
Maine Minnat bhi maan li, Bhagwan ko bola ki sab thik ho jaayega to Guruwar ka upwas rakhunga." etc etc.
The whole family was looking at me with sheer disbelief that a man can do such a thing like importing Hing...and that too real Hing and get caught for it?

Evert time there was a sound of 911 passing near the house (it was many many times), I would think that the US police has come to invite me to be their guest.They will surely deport me after passing some time in jails. What will happen then etc etc. Such morbid thoughts were not leaving my mind.

To be honest, my visits to the loo in those two days increased as I developed loose motions becaus of the fear.
I faxed the copy of ss card and waited with prayers on my lips and chanting sahastra nama.My face had gone pale and spirits were at the lowest ebb.
I just could not sleep in the night .

There was no news from Boston till next day after noon.
The phone rang.... and my heart again missed many beats. I thought that there can't be any other news but bad news.

My son in law was on the line.
He said, " Papa, there was a call from DHL and the lady told that they had come to deliver the parcel and since no one was at home, they can collect the same from their office"

I have never been more relieved in my life than that day..
So I learnt a lesson.....If you want to bring Hing from India, never bring it in unless you are prepared to bring it with you in your checked in baggage in original packing. The lesson I have not learnt is, I should not try to bring Hing into US. For Hing, I will do anything .

At last, I got the parcel in my hands after a wait of another 4 days making it in total 24 days. I opened the box and checked if they had seized the Hing container or left it intact for me....Ahhaaa....It was safe and is safe still. I can rest easy for another 2 years and enjoy Hing to my hear's content...sorry stomach's content. LOL

Hemant Trivedi

The "REAL PERANGAYAM" Hira Hing

[html:1ae292d9b3]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2528/3899583205_c161bfe3e3_o.jpg
[/html:1ae292d9b3]

Hemant Trivedi
10th September 2009, 05:31 PM
Friends,

Just as Idli or Dosai has many Avatars in south, so does humble Roti in North. In North and western India, there are many avatars of Roti. In Gujarat, a highly spiced roti/paratha variety is known as Dhebra. They are mainly made using Millet flour and Wheat flour.
Nursing mothers usually have this with kathirikkai padartham.

You can get the recipe clicking on the following URL.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/tiffins/ghaun-bajri-thepla.html

[html:3863011082]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/3905967663_76cd36f3b2.jpg
[/html:3863011082]

Hope you will enjoy this dish.

Hemant Trivedi

sudha india
11th September 2009, 10:56 AM
Hello Mr.Trivedi
I read your Hing saga and could really understand how you would have felt.
Also understand your interest in cooking.

The flavour in your writing matched the hing. :lol:

NOV
11th September 2009, 12:25 PM
Hemant-ji, heres an article that may be of interest to you. :lol:

Asafoetida could fight swine flu, say Chinese scientists

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/Asafoetida-could-fight-swine-flu-say-Chinese-scientists/articleshow/4996180.cms

Kounteya Sinha, TNN 11 September 2009

NEW DELHI: India and China seem to be competing to find an effective natural source for antivirals that could combat the H1N1 influenza virus.

While India recently found trees in the Western Ghats whose leaves produced large quantities of shikimic acid -- the most important ingredient of Tamilfu, the antiviral of choice against H1N1 -- China has stumbled upon the antiviral properties of asafoetida, whose roots contain a compound that killed the H1N1 swine flu virus in the lab.

The asafoetida plant, called heeng in India, grows throughout Iran, Afghanistan and mainland China and is commonly known as Dung of the Devil due to its pungent smell.

According to Chinese researchers, the plant was used in China against the influenza virus during the great 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. But until now, no one had confirmed that asafoetida had natural antiviral properties.

The researchers said that in their laboratory experiments, a group of chemicals in the plant's extracts appeared to have a stronger potency against H1N1 flu than a prescription antiviral medication already in use against the flu.

They said these compounds may serve as promising lead components for new drug development against influenza A (H1N1) viral infection.

Fully grown, the plant can often reach six feet in height. The main use of asafoetida is from the collection of its gum. All plants which are over four years old produce a gum in its roots.

Ancient Romans preferred asafoetida as a flavoring agent above all other herbs.

India's ayurveda system recommends asafoetida for the treatment of colic as it stimulates the mucous membranes in the body. It is also used in the treatment of high cholesterol and irritable bowel syndrome. Many herbalists also consider asafoetida as an effective remedy for the treatment of internal worms and to treat different kinds of intestinal parasites.

Meanwhile, India is undertaking industrial trials of the leaves found from the Western Ghats with shikimic acid in them. Scientists from Bangalore had found at least seven plant species that yielded shikimic acid from the Western Ghat forests.

Presently, the majority of the acid's global availability is met by China because it is extracted from the fruits of the Chinese star anise tree, that contains up to 5% of the acid.

pavalamani pragasam
11th September 2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, Hemant Trivedi! Believe me, my heart too missed many beats as I read through your very interesting '(mis)adventure'! What a vivid narration! I could visualise the entire scenario with utmost clarity. Such dedication to your passion/hobby and pious adherence to its intricacies are what make you an ace cook endearing to us! AND I admired your writing skills in describing the sequence of events that resembled an edge-of-the seat thriller!!! At last all is well that ends well! Wish you happy, fragrant cooking and free burping!!! :lol:

Hemant Trivedi
12th September 2009, 08:25 PM
Hello Mr.Trivedi
I read your Hing saga and could really understand how you would have felt.
Also understand your interest in cooking.

The flavour in your writing matched the hing. :lol:

சுதா மா,

மிட்க நன்றி

Hemant Trivedi
12th September 2009, 08:27 PM
Wow, Hemant Trivedi! Believe me, my heart too missed many beats as I read through your very interesting '(mis)adventure'! What a vivid narration! I could visualise the entire scenario with utmost clarity. Such dedication to your passion/hobby and pious adherence to its intricacies are what make you an ace cook endearing to us! AND I admired your writing skills in describing the sequence of events that resembled an edge-of-the seat thriller!!! At last all is well that ends well! Wish you happy, fragrant cooking and free burping!!! :lol:

PP Madam,

You are my inspiration. I write to enjoy myself and spread my feelings all around like you.

I have been composing a lot of poetry in English and have got them published on other communitie . But since they are of sensitive nature, I am desisting from publishing here in FH.

Thanks for your kind words.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
12th September 2009, 08:30 PM
NOV,

Thanks for the info. I can, now rest easy as H1N1 will think twice before attacking this old rascal. :lol: :lol:

suvai
13th September 2009, 06:15 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hemanth ji.......the hing episode, (I was literally imagining the autopsy by Customs on preicious hing & at the same time could feel for you too)......i am so happy that u got the hing back.......:-)

pavalamani pragasam
13th September 2009, 08:19 AM

PP Madam,

You are my inspiration. I write to enjoy myself and spread my feelings all around like you.

I have been composing a lot of poetry in English and have got them published on other communitie . But since they are of sensitive nature, I am desisting from publishing here in FH.

Thanks for your kind words.

Hemant Trivedi

'sensitive'? Curiosity kills me!!! Also a feeling of trepidation! I recall the 'dog' episodes!

Hemant Trivedi
13th September 2009, 03:58 PM
[quote="Hemant Trivedi
'sensitive'? Curiosity kills me!!! Also a feeling of trepidation! I recall the 'dog' episodes!

pp madam,

They are 'STABS OF STARK REALITY' which many here may not like. But believe me, they are worth reading and discussing among your literary circle of friends interested in contemporary poetry.

Hemant Trivedi

pavalamani pragasam
13th September 2009, 04:02 PM
'your literary circle of friends interested in contemporary poetry' ??? Do I have one?
:roll: :(
Sorry for digressing in your cookery thread!

Suja Rajkumar
15th September 2009, 08:11 PM
Welcome back Hemantji. Glad to see your recipes. Can't wait to try them.

Regards
Suja Rajkumar

Hemant Trivedi
16th September 2009, 02:19 AM
Welcome back Hemantji. Glad to see your recipes. Can't wait to try them.

Regards
Suja Rajkumar

Hello Suja,

I do remember you.
Glad to be welcomd back.
Currently I am in Canada. After a couple days, I will be back to Detroit.
Planning to post some recipes of food that I cooked during last month. The list has grown longer now.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
17th September 2009, 09:20 PM
Friends,

I am posting SAKKARAVALLI KIZHANGU HALWA recipe.
In Gujarati, it is called ratalu no sheero or Shakkariya No Sheero.
This is a Phalagaram Recipe . This halwa is consumed when you are fasting for Ekadashi or for any other vratham .

SAKKARAVALLI KIZHANGU HALWA

Ingredients

1.25 kg. Ratalu (Shakkaravalli kizhangu akasweet potatoes)
350 to 500 gms sugar (or as per taste)
150 Gms Ghee
50 gms Almond, sliced into slivers
25 g. Raisins
cardamom 1/4 tsp powder
Kesar,food color or and other dry fruits optional.

Method Of Preparation

Select medium thick sweet potatoes.Steam cook sweet potatoes but see that you do not over cook.
Peel and mash. Remove fibers if any.

Take ghee in a kadai or thick pan and add raisin and
whole or halved Cashewnuts.
(if you want to add, you can add other dry fruits nuts etc).
Fry just a little.
Now add mashed sweet potatoes and fry for about eight
to ten minutes on medium heat.
When ghee starts to seperate from sides and middle, add sugar.
and powdered cardamom and stir briskly .

Some people add milk khova also at this juncture .Keep stirring
When the sheera thickens, remove from stove and let it cool.

Garnish with rose petals,slivered Almonds and Serve warm or cold.If you want, you can add kesari color
or a few strands of kesar crushed in warm water just befor you remove from stove.

I love this sheera and so will you and your family members.

Hemant Trivedi

photo with thanks from Bombay-Bruxelles

[html:75719dff65]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/3928413815_e55e94a95a_o.jpg
[/html:75719dff65]

Hemant Trivedi
20th September 2009, 02:20 AM
Friends,

Rasiya Muthiya is a typical Gujarati dish which is very easy to make and is really very tasty. It is generally prepared from very simple ingredients like leftover rice and Kadali Maavu (Besan) with spices to give it a good character. It is cooked in Butter milk sauce.
You can find the recipe in my website.
The link is as under.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/tiffins/rasiya-muyhia.html

RASIYA MUTHIYA

[html:3ef40433be]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2466/3934569423_224f48317c_o.jpg
[/html:3ef40433be]

Enjoy !!

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
21st September 2009, 11:23 PM
Friends,

Some people resort to shortcuts to achieve name and fame but ultimately they fail
Long back we had Bhargavi who used to copy recipes from all around and post them under her name verbatim.

One such person has guts to copy my entire website and has not removed my recipes despite warnings.
I am posting the URL of this blogger as under.

http://dakshinrasoi.blogspot.com/2006/04/karnataka-sambar-powder_11.html

You would find many many recipes from my website copied , pasted here without even acknowledging.

I just pity such people.

Hemant Trivedi

sudha india
29th September 2009, 11:13 AM
Anyayama irukke !!

pavalamani pragasam
29th September 2009, 03:42 PM
Also cyber crime? :roll: :shock:

Hemant Trivedi
30th September 2009, 04:24 AM
Sudha Madam and PP Madam,

Thanks for your support. Now I know why it still rains in places where it is needed.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
30th September 2009, 04:26 AM
friends,

Yet another food blog???
Yes, I had to open one because I was finding it a big pain for posting and editing new recipes in my website.
I had to contact site administrator and he would upload.
Now I will be able to do everything by myself and that too in a jiffy.

You may visit the blog to bless me.By the way, it has the same name as my food website.

http://hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.blogspot.com/

Hope you all would grace the blog.

Hemant Trivedi

dev
30th September 2009, 06:12 PM
tht's great, Hemantji... hope to c more recipes from u...:)

Suja Rajkumar
30th September 2009, 06:47 PM
Hemantji,
All the very best to your new blog. Looking forward to new recipes from you. Thanks for all your contribution.

Regards,
Suja Rajkumar

Hemant Trivedi
30th September 2009, 07:34 PM
Dev, Suja Mam,

The question is, did you visit my blog? Did you like it?
Do you have suggestions?

I would be much obliged if you have.
My food website was created by two hubbers, SARAH and MINI.
Only because of them, I am well known all through the world .

Similarly FH has helped me to nth degree by supporting me.

Thanks all of you in FH and FH .

Hemant Trivedi

Suja Rajkumar
1st October 2009, 08:53 PM
Hemantji,
Please call me Suja. I did visit your web-site yesterday. It looks good. Following your recipes have made me a better cook. Thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience with us.

Regards,
Suja Rajkumar

Hemant Trivedi
2nd October 2009, 04:04 AM
A Gujarati is known by Dhokla and Dal Dhokli. These two are like Aviyal-Kaalan for a Malayali and Mah Ki Dal and Sarson da saag for a Punjabi.I never get tired of Dal Dhokli as it is the freshest pasta made in Lentil sauce. Pasta can't get fresher than that.
tonight dinner is Dal Dhokli and herez what me and missus prepared.

[html:146de27356]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/3973066308_e39dc3657a_o.jpg
[/html:146de27356]

Hemant Trivedi

kugan98
2nd October 2009, 01:25 PM
Uncle, even though I do not have the age to bless you,
I pray to the Almighty to bless you and your blog.
May the Lord bless you with good health, wealth and lots and lots of happiness. Hope to see many more blogs from you.
Take care. Love Kugan98

Hemant Trivedi
2nd October 2009, 06:28 PM
kugan98,

thanks for your good wishes ma.
Hope your health improves soon. Praying for that.

Hemant Trivedi

dev
3rd October 2009, 01:16 PM
Hemantji, I did visit ur food blog the other day... Looks great with all those beautiful pictures... keep going...:)

& dhal dokli... I'm drooling... I make this stuffed dhal dokli...yum!!!...

recipe from here...http://connect.sailusfood.com/2008/02/24/stuffed-dal-dhokli/

Hemant Trivedi
4th October 2009, 04:57 PM
dev,

Thanks for your visit and good wishes.

HT

Hemant Trivedi
7th October 2009, 12:49 AM
Friends,

Sorry for keeping away from FH for some time. Actually my food blog is getting all filled and spruced up.

It might take some more time for me to post .
As such it worries me because there is hardly any traffic here or for that matter in most of the communities. This may be due to present downturn. But the spirit of sharing and discussions is suffering. I hope things improve.

So see you all intermittantly .

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
9th October 2009, 05:35 PM
TADAKIYUN (Radish Green or Turnip Green-Tomato Salad)

INTRODUCTION

Salads are an integral part of any Indian meal. Like their western counterparts, Indian salads can be regular salads, salads with oil dressing, salads which have partially cooked or partially fried or deep fried ingredients.Some salads have spices and some are just SALADS .

I am partial to Radish and my first salad comes in the form of radish leaves salad which I bet You would never have tasted prepared the Gujarati way. This was my mother's favourite and is mine too!! So without much ado, here I go.......

BOWL OF TURNIP-TOMATO SALAD

[html:7243b577fe]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/3994725685_64d09b1cce_o.jpg
[/html:7243b577fe]

INGREDIENTS

Radish/Turnip leaves 10 leaves(Avoid old leaves)
Tomato 1 no. (Big)
Asafoetida 1/4 spoon
Red Chili powder 3/4 spoon
Salt to taste
Salad oil/peanut oil 2 Tbsp.

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Select clean hot radish leaves or Turnip leaves if you do not get radish greens in your place. Remove central stalk with a sharp knife. Cut all the leaves similarly and arrange five leaves and cut leaves to make about 3 to 4 mm width long slices (ribbons). Set aside.If you want, you may chop them in smaller bits also. Dice tomatoes into 1/4 " pieces. Select tomatoes which are firm and not too sweet. Now mix both chopped greens and tomatoes and all the dry spices. I don't use any other spice. Add salt and finally add oil and mix thoroughly. Remember to add slightly more salt as this tastes great with anything.

Hemant Trivedi
13th October 2009, 10:50 PM
ANGIE PIZZA......கடலை மாவு தோசை பிஜ்ஜா
A tribute to my first follower

ANGIE PIZZA (chick pea flour based Indian spiced pizza)

This dish was created by me for the first follower of this blog.This is a desi version of Pizza with Indian spices and ingredients.This dish takes hardly 30 minutes to prepare and is so much filling and tasty that you would come to love this dish and make it again and again.

BATTER SPREAD WITH TOPPINGS READY FOR COOKING

[html:2a84241655]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/4004883273_5501090cf3_o.jpg
[/html:2a84241655]

ANGIE PIZZA ON A PLATTER

[html:2a84241655]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/4004912687_a98ca75dff_o.jpg
[/html:2a84241655]

INGREDIENTS (makes 3 to 4 small pizzas)

Besan/Chickpea flour.....1 Cup (USA measure)
Fine Semolina......2 Tbsps
Ajwain/caraway seeds....1/4 tsp (crush lightly)
Madras Curry Powder.....1 Tbsp
Turmeric powder...1/2 tsp
Chili powder...1/4 to 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida.....1/4 tsp
Salt...........to taste (1 tsp)
water ....for batter

TOPPING

Tomato ....1 medium sized
Onion diced....1/4 cup
Green peppers....2 2to 3 or to taste
Garlic....2 to 3 cloves thinly sliced
Lemon-Garlic seasoning. for sprinkling
Oil...for shallow frying
Mozerella cheese shredded....1/2 cup (optional)

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Prepare not too thin batter with chickpea flour and Semolina using water . It should be like runny icecream consistancy.
Add Anwain,Curry powder, Turmeric , Chili powder, asfaetida and salt. Mix thoroughly in a smooth batter. There should be no lumps . Let the batter stand for about 30 minutes.

Dice Tomato, Onion, Slice Garlic, green peppers and grate cheese and keep aside.

Take a shallow pan and heat on low flame. When it is hot, spread a little oil and then pour the batter and spread it like you would spread Dosai batter. It should be thickish like Uthappam.Now reduce the heat to low and spread all the topping on up side of the batter on pan. Slightly pat the toppings to see that they get embadded to the batter.

Let the under side get cooked on low heat for 10 minutes to a light biscuit brown shade. Invert the pizza to cook the topping side for further 10 minutes. Sprad a little oil before you invert to cook toppings side.
Once the topping side is properly fried to medium , serve piping hot Angie Pizza with tomato sauce or Cilantro chutney.

I have fallen in love with Indian Angie Pizza and so will you once you make it and enjoy its rich taste. I think it is best dish for winter and rainy season.

Hemant Trivedi
15th October 2009, 01:47 AM
KAALAN......Enchanting curry from Kerala

KAALAN

If anyone can create magic using minimal number of spices and simple ingredients, it is Malayalis . Give a free run to a Palaghat Iyer and he or she will show how to prepare best dishes out of anything using very few spices. Aviyal or Kaalan come to any one as big and tasty surprise. Though these simple dishes do not tingle the mouth , they remain in your memory as wonderful food.I am posting my fav recipe of Kaalan here for you.

Magic Potion Called Kaalan

[html:174e807b53]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676/3998741083_353fafb43c_o.jpg
[/html:174e807b53]

Closer View

[html:174e807b53]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3998748535_dd4a579887_o.jpg
[/html:174e807b53]

INGREDIENTS

Raw plantain 1 no.
Elephant Yam/suran (Amorphophallus) 350 gms
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil 3 spoons
Red chillies 1 to 2 nos.
fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Sour curd 2 cups
Salt to taste

TO MAKE INTO PASTE

Coconut 1/2 Grated
Green chillies 4 to 5 of medium hot variety
Cumin seeds 1 tsp

METHOD OF PREPARATION

First prepare paste of coconut, cumin seeds and Green chillies. You can use an oriental blender to do this but in my opinion, if the paste is made using mortar and pastel. the taste is far far better. Make 1" cubes of elephant yam (suran) Raw Banana and pressure cook along with pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves. Take care not to over cook as yam has a tendency to get overcooked very fast. You can cook directly instead of Pressure cooking, in a pan. When done, add the ground paste of coconut and chilies along with curd and heat till it starts to simmer.

Temper it with fenugreek, mustard and red chilies heated in Coconut oil.Some orthodox cooks prefer to fry fenugreek seeds and powder them and add along with coconut paste. When mustard seeds start to crackle, pour over Kaalan and immediately cover the vessel. After a minute, heat Kaalan on a medium flame and bring to boil. Use water judiciously as Kaalan must not be watery like Kadhi

Hemant Trivedi
16th October 2009, 04:56 AM
Here is Hemant Trivedi wishing all the Forum Hubbers, FH office bearers, Moderators, my friends Mrs. Mano and Kugan 98 aka Kavitha and all the other contributors, a Very
HAPPY DEEPAVALI.

Hemant Trivedi

NOV
16th October 2009, 10:56 AM
[html:22e8149411]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/N_O_V/Diwali.gif
[/html:22e8149411]

Hemant Trivedi
16th October 2009, 10:37 PM
Nov,

Great many thanks for your warm wishes.

I wish you the same.

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
17th October 2009, 07:34 AM
Happy Deepavali Hemanth ji!

Hemant Trivedi
17th October 2009, 08:17 AM
சுவை அவர்கள்,

மிதக்க நன்றி

ஹெமண்ட் ற்றிவேடி

suvai
18th October 2009, 06:03 AM
Hemanth ji.....if you could kindly post an authentic sindhi pulao & sindhi aloo tikki plz.....thank u in advance.

Hemant Trivedi
18th October 2009, 07:40 AM
suvai,

I will post Sindhi Biriyani tomorrow.
This is a recipe by a friend in Bombay.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
20th October 2009, 04:55 AM
[tscii:0b76910bc5]Suvai,

I asked my friend SAUCY in Bombay and he has asked me to give you this recipe. He is a master cook and himself a Sindhi.
So enjoy.

Sindhi Mutton / Chicken Biryani
Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 kg Mutton / Chicken
1 kg Basmati Rice * pre-soaked for 30 mins.
1/2 kg Tomatoes - chopped
1/2 kg Potatoes * cut into big pieces * half boiled
2 Med Onions - chopped
250 gms Curds/dahi/yoghurt
2 tbsp Garlic n ginger paste + 1 tsp Red chili powder + 1 tsp Cumin - (Jeera)
8 Green cardamoms (choti elaichi) + 4 Black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
6 Green Chillies + 10 Cloves - (Laung / Lavang
10 Peppercorns - (Kali Mirch) + 1 Cinnamon stick (Dal Chini)
2-3 Bay leaves (Tej Patta) + 2 tsp Mint leaves (Pudina)
2 tsp Coriander / Cilantro (Hara Dhaniya)
2 pinch of saffron * soaked in little water.
Salt to taste + Oil / Ghee for frying + Water for cooking

Method:

Half cook the rice and keep aside, do not drain. Marinade the meat for 30 mins in dahi and masalas.

Heat oil in a big deep pan (kadai/pressure pan), fry the onions till light brown, add garlic, ginger, salt, red chili powder, cloves, cardamoms, jeera, bay leaves, peppercorns, cinnamon, curds. Fry till the masala is cooked well. Add the meat and tomatoes and fry more. Add water and cook on low heat till meat is cooked and water dries. Add green chilies, mint, coriander and potatoes to the meat. I add 1 tbsp Ghee here for flavour. Add the half cooked rice now with remaining water of it onto the meat. Cover with lid and cook on low heat till rice is done. Sprinkle the saffron n water on the biryani in such a way as only the top layer gets it, this way when you serve, mix it and get two coloured rice. Some people add food colour to get the red colour effect. You can have this with onion or veg raita and pickles. Off course not, sindhi's dont have papads with everything, but you can if you want to here, fried papads will go nicely

I made it this afternoon with Chicken, the cooking time was much quicker than the Mutton biryani I made few weeks back. The biryani turned out super according to my dad, off course he says that to whatever I make I hope it turns out good for you all as well. You may cook the rice and the meat seperate and then layer them before you serve.

Enjoy !

Saucy

[/tscii:0b76910bc5]

suvai
20th October 2009, 06:48 AM
Hemanji/Saucy ji,
Thank you for sharing the biriyani recipe....
Would you by chance have sindhi pulao & sindhi aloo tikki recipe ? (vegetarian please)
Thank you once again for your efforts.
Regards
s

Hemant Trivedi
21st October 2009, 04:33 PM
Dear Suvai,

I got this recipe of Aloo Tikki from SAUCY today morning. I am posting it as under.

Corn Aloo Tikki

Ingredients :

2 Cups Potato boiled
1/2 Cup Corn steamed
2 Green chillies chopped fine
1/4 tsp Chaat masala
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
1 Lemon
2 Slices bread (for bonding)
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

Method :

Pressure cook and Mash potato and lightly mash the corn as well, mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, soak the bread slices in a
little water before adding, squeeze a little Lemon into the mix, make small tikkis and they will come out crisp, fry in hot oil, if you want to eat them later then fry till half done and re-fry just before
serving...Garnish with little Chaat Masala, serve with sweet Tamarind chutney or green chutney...

SAUCY

Hemant Trivedi

dev
21st October 2009, 05:43 PM
Hemantji, mouthwatering recipes in ur blog... esp the medhu vada...:slurp: But I wouldn't be trying it now as I'm on a diet to shed the pregnancy weight...:(

Hemant Trivedi
21st October 2009, 06:34 PM
Hemantji, mouthwatering recipes in ur blog... esp the medhu vada...:slurp: But I wouldn't be trying it now as I'm on a diet to shed the pregnancy weight...:(

dev,

Black gram would not increase your weight. It is full of protein.
Yes, the other recipes are really time tested ones and have been corrected in places by me to finetune the subtlities of taste and flavors.

Thanks for your kind words about the blog.
I deeply appreciate it.

Hemant Trivedi

dev
21st October 2009, 09:28 PM
Hemantji, but for the deep frying, I would've def tried it !!!... maybe i can make it for my family...:)

Hemant Trivedi
22nd October 2009, 04:48 AM
Hemantji, but for the deep frying, I would've def tried it !!!... maybe i can make it for my family...:)

dev,

I had totally forgotten about oil. You are correct.

But you can always place a vada between tissue paper folds and by pressing lightly, remove excess oil. Don't get defeated. Enjoy vadais.

Hemant Trivedi

dev
22nd October 2009, 11:23 AM
hehehe...U r tempting me to make the vadas Hemantji..:)

suvai
24th October 2009, 07:49 PM
hemanji......corn aloo tikki was a super hit ...i thank u & saucy for a wonderful recipe.....:-)

Suja Rajkumar
26th October 2009, 09:56 PM
Hemantji,
I made your Chennai Kari masala powder. I made chicken curry with it yesterday. It was wonderful. Thank you for the recipe.

Suja Rajkumar

Hemant Trivedi
28th October 2009, 08:31 PM
Suja Rajkumar,

Madam, thanx for your feedback. Madras curry powder is very popular in UK and also becoming popular in the US.

All credit goes to simple folks of Madras.

You too have a lot of good recipes to your credit. Why not post them here?

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
29th October 2009, 01:52 AM
suvai,

Thanks for the tikki feedback. I conveyed it to saucy. He is very happy.

Hemant Trivedi

Hemant Trivedi
1st November 2009, 09:51 PM
TUVER LILVA NI KACHORI பச்சை தோரம் பீன்ஸ் கச்சோரி

Rainy season and winters are the times when steaming hot kachoris and Samosas replace other savories as Items of choice. Kachori is a savory stuffed fritter of North Indian origin which comes in different shapes, sizes and stuffing.
Rajasthani and Punjabi kachoris are flat,spicy and hot whereas Gujarati kachoris are round balls stuffed with spicy masala puran which is sweetish hot. Kachori from Uttar pradesh has potato and green peas in stuffing.
Kachoris are mainly made using Moong lentil as base and added to that are spices.
But of late, many experiments are made and new ingredients have been used.
One such kachori is made in Gujarat which has Green farm fresh Toor lentils. (Pigeon pea).
I thank my wife for permitting me to post her recipe of "LILVA NI KACHORI.

INGREDIENTS 1:
For puran (Stuffing)

2 Cups(400 gms) பச்சை தோரம் Tuver Lilva/Pigeon Peas
1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
1 Tbsp of Green chilly pepper paste
1/4 Cup Chopped cilantro /Kothumalli
1 tsp of Sesame seeds
1 Tsp cumin seeds
one pinch of Mustard seeds
1 Teaspoon of Cumin seeds
2 Teaspoon of Coriander powder
1 Teaspoon of Cumin powder
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon of Garam Masala
1/2 Teaspoon of Asafoetida
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp Lime juice
Few Raisins
few Cashew nut pieces
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

INGREDIENTS 2 :
For Kachori cover dough

1.5 Cup of Maida flour
1 Tbsp Oil
Salt to taste

METHOD OF PREPARATION

knead the dough for kachori cover this way.

Take all purpose flour( maida), add salt and a tbsp of oil and mix with the flour. Rub thoroughly between palms .Slowly add cold water to the flour and knead the dough. The dough should be smooth and soft without lumps. smear little oil on the dough to avoid getting it dry. Iff kachoris are more, you can cover the dough with a wetcloth. Keep aside.

Now turn your attention to preparing the filling (puran)

Make a rough paste of Green Tuver (Lilva) without adding any water.
Take a pan and add oil and heat it up .Add a pinch of Mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Mustard seeds are to test the proper temperature of oil.
When mustard seeds start spluttering,first add sesame seeds and then after about five seconds, add Cumin seeds and Asafoetida, and then add mashed mass of Tuver Lilva, Turmeric powder, Cumin powder,coriander powder, and fry on medium heat for about ten minutes. When the mixture is cooked and lilva raw smell goes off, add Garam masala powder,grated coconut, salt,chilli powder, sugar and lime juice and chopped cilantro and green chili paste raisin and cashew pieces. Give it a final mixing on stove and fry for another ten minutes on low heat. Test for salt,sourness and sugar. Let it cool down to room temperature.I am not in favour of soaking raisins as some people do. Actually I prefer to mix raisins and date in form of rough paste and add it in puran dough at the last stage of frying.

Prepare small balls of marble size and keep in a plate.
STAGES OF KACHORI FILLING

[html:20d26fbbd4]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/4062378450_bb86a483e7_o.jpg
[/html:20d26fbbd4]

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/4062381468_93d7bb5825_o.jpg

Roll out small poories out of All purpose dough (5"diameter). Place the Lilva balls in center and enclose it as shown in the picture by lifting all the sides of Maida rolled poori and then twisting them as you would a candy wrapper. Pinch off extra dough and place the pre fried kachoris in a tray for further drying.

After about thirty minutes of drying,deep fry the kachoris on a low medium temperature till they are biscuit brown (light brown) as shown in the picture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2682/4062395014_2c8d926ec3_o.jpg

Serve with date-tamarind sweet chutney or Cilantro+Mint chutney or just Tomato sauce.

Enjoy

suvai
2nd November 2009, 04:36 AM
Hemanthji...seems like u read my mind. Recently i had the same kachori..& wasnt sure what was inside....thanks for the post.

Hemant Trivedi
2nd November 2009, 04:40 AM
suvai,

next in pipeline is Potao Bonda aka BATATA VADA.

suvai
2nd November 2009, 04:42 AM
Hemanthji,
could u kindly post vada pauv that u get on the road side in bbay??? plz.. a friend of mine has been searching for the authentic taste...thanks in advance.

Hemant Trivedi
2nd November 2009, 04:45 AM
suvai, vada pau is nothing but a potato bonda placed in between two slices of bread with chutney.

suvai
2nd November 2009, 04:48 AM
so one can use batata vada recipe of yrs on bread?

Hemant Trivedi
2nd November 2009, 05:33 AM
so one can use batata vada recipe of yrs on bread?

Actually PAV means Double roti in Tamil. Vada Pau is one large or two small potato bondas placed in between halved double roti . Chili-Kothumalli chutney with sweet chutney is also put there in. The result is a spicy bonga pau sandwich. This is vada pau.
You can use my potato vada recipe with bread slices/double roti.

Actually, a pav is sliced horizontally in halves almost till end but not completely. It should open like a book. Vadas are placed inbetween and served.

Some people do not use any chutney but I would prefer to.
Smear spicy chutneys on roti halves. One side sweet and other side hot chilli chutney.

Enjoy

suvai
2nd November 2009, 07:02 AM
Thank you Hemanthji :-)

Hemant Trivedi
5th November 2009, 05:06 AM
friends,

Now my food blog has facility to get instant translation into any international languages like, Malay, Indonesian, chinese, Japanese, French, German , Arabic etc.with about 50 languages.

What started with Forum Hub, has grown so much.
Thank you FH and all my friends at FH.

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
5th November 2009, 09:43 AM
:thumbsup: Hemanthji!

kugan98
5th November 2009, 11:21 AM
Congrats on your achievement uncle.
God Bless You.
Kugan98

Hemant Trivedi
6th November 2009, 11:56 PM
BATATA VADA போட்டோ போண்டா बटाटा वडा બટેટા વડા

INTRODUCTION

Batata Vada is a savory which is extremely popular in Gujarat, Maharashtra and western India as whole. Batata Vada is said to have originated in Maharashtra but it has spread all throughout India. Every region has its own version .It is very easy to make and it tastes fantastic even with very simple spices which are used Batata Vada is usually eaten with spicy sweet sour Tamarind / Khajur Chutney or plain Tomato Sauce.

[html:582f20f287]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/4066320184_91af8f6b7f_o.jpg
[/html:582f20f287]

INGREDIENTS
( For five people one helping of about five Vadas each)

FOR THE STUFFING

750 Gms Potatoes
1 Small Bunch of cilantro
5 Nos. Green chillies finely chopped
2" Ginger piece finely grated
1/2 sp. Turmeric powder (optional)
1.5 tsp. Garam Masala
2 tSp. Lime Juice
3 to 4 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Asafoetida
Salt to taste

Other optional stuffings like Raisins, Dates,pomegranate seeds etc. can also be added

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/4066323774_af2a287c66_o.jpg

FOR THE BATTER

200 Gms. Besan/chick pea flour
75 gms Rice flour
1/2 tsp. Asafoetida (optional)
1 tsp. Chilli Powder
1/2 Sp. Turmeric Powder
2 spoons Salt
Water to make thick Batter like Dosai.
cooking oil for frying

METHOD OF PREPARATION

For the stuffing, first steam cook potatoes in a pressure cooker. Remove the skin and let it cool. Mash using a potato masher. Add sugar, salt and Asafoetida and slowly mix the other ingredients thoroughly . Once all the ingredients are mixed , taste for salt and other things. Add anything extra like raisins,Pomegranet seeds at this stage. Now take a big plate, smear some oil on the surface and start making small balls of the Potato stuffing and place in the plate. Try making all of them of even size. Rub some oil on your palms to avoid potato sticking to your palms. Keep aside.

PREPARATION OF THE BATTER

Take chick pea flour (Besan) and rice flour in a wide mouth vessel , add salt, Chilli powder, Asafoetida(Hing), Turmeric powder and mix very well. Now start adding water in small quantities and start making the batter. When you reach Dosai batter consistency, stop and taste for salt and other ingredients.

GRAND FINALE

Dip the Potato stuffing balls in the batter and fry in a wok/Kadai till golden brown. Please make sure that you do not drip the potato stuffing in oil much as it will leave a lot of Bundi like things burning in the oil for frying. Take care not to over fry on a high flame. All the deep frying should be done only at a medium flame. The frying of Batata Vada should be done after all the food is cooked .This is to ensure that the guests get steaming Batata Vadas. Serve with Tomato sauce to Sweet Sour Chutney.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/4065579451_468a62bdb7_o.jpg

If you want to serve only hot Vadas, under fry the Vadas about an hour or two before the lunch or dinner. Re-fry them again on medium flame or heat it in an electric toaster oven at 350 C for ten minutes just before you serve the guests.

Enjoy

Hemant Trivedi
27th November 2009, 09:08 PM
AVAREKAI SAMBAR ಅವರೆಕಾಯಿ ಸಾಂಬಾರ್
INTRODUCTION

There are hundreds of curries and dishes you can prepare using Field Beans/ Avarekai also known as Papdi Val. But there is no dish that can come anywhere near AVAREKAI SAMBAR in taste and flavour. In its native Karnataka Avatar and traditional form, this recipe gives you a magical sambar that can literally make you sit tight and throw a smoke bomb in your mouth with fire to match. But the taste won't leave you for ever. People who love real spicy, hot and tasty Kozumbu/sambar would never forget the taste. I have been experimenting with the different recipes given to me by different friends and I have come to like the following recipe most. I am sure that you would try this fiery sambar once and post your reactions.

INGREDIENTS

Green Avarekai shelled 350 gms.
(Lima Beans/Papdi Lilva/Field Beans)
Onions 2 nos. (medium)
Garlic (cut in large pieces) 10 cloves
Green Chillies 6 to 7 nos. (hot variety)
Ginger 1" Thumb thick (grated or paste)
Tomatoes 2 nos.( Medium)
Poppy seeds 1 table spoon
Coconut grated 2" pieces 3 nos
Cream of coconut 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Cooking oil 2 ladles

DRY SPICES

Cloves 6 to 7 nos.
Cinnamon sticks 2" 5 sticks

DRY SPICES FOR TEMPERING

Cinnamon sticks 1" 4 nos.
Cloves 5 to 6 nos.

METHOD OF PREPARATION

First soak Avarekai seeds in hot water for three to four hours and then shell the skin of each seed. If you are using canned Lima Beans, then you skip this step because they come cooked. Keep it aside.

LIMA BEANS/AVAREKAI

[html:5c47639eb3]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/4136491209_b557c2780e_o.jpg
[/html:5c47639eb3]

Take about a ladle and half of oil in a frying pan and add the dry spices as mentioned above. When the cloves puff up, add onions, garlic, Green chillies and turn for about a minute and half only. Now add grated coconut and fry for further 30 seconds.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4136493735_d3a18263c4_o.jpg

Remove from fire and let it get cold. When cold, make a fine paste of the whole thing and keep it aside. Make paste of poppy seeds and keep it aside. Dice the tomatoes in small pieces and keep aside. Take some water in a vessel and add shelled Avarekai and steam/pressure cook the Avarekai till they become soft but not soggy or too soft. When ready, add the masala paste. Add salt,turmeric powder and over a slow/medium fire let it simmer for about ten minutes only. Now add diced tomatoes and paste of Poppy seeds and cream of coconut and let it simmer for another four or five minutes or so. Add ginger paste at the final stages to give an EXTRA KICK along with finely chopped green chillies. The fresh chilli pepper and ginger flavor and taste is really awesome but let me warn you that this can be very hot.

Now take some oil in a tempering ladle and add spices for tempering. When cloves puff up, add the tempering to Avarekai sambar. Cover immediately and leave it for 30 minutes.

AVAREKAI SAMBAR

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/4134670774_b78169b5c8_o.jpg

After 30 minutes, reheat the sambar and serve steaming hot with rice/poori /paratha or Rotis. Remember that this is a Hot dish and take in quantity which is good for you.

THIS SAMBAR SHOULD BE REALLY THICK LIKE KURAMA

suvai
28th November 2009, 09:12 AM
Hemanthji,
The avarakai sambar looks very delicious......thank u for the post!

Hemant Trivedi
28th November 2009, 06:02 PM
Hemanthji,
The avarakai sambar looks very delicious......thank u for the post!

suvai,

The proof of the pudding is in eating it.
It is not enough for a dish to have visual appeal only. The flavour and taste are also of prime importance.

Try cooking it once .
You are sure to fall in love with this Avarekai Sambar.

Hemant Trivedi

baskaran.ramamurthy
5th December 2009, 07:45 AM
Dear Shri Hemant ji,
To Make Rava Dosai,has always been a disastrous and unpleasant experience for us , either the dosa sticks to the pan or the batter remains uncooked. We have tried various combinations of rava/rice maida proportions and also the heat of the tava etc.
Would you please reveal the tips and tricks for getting a restaurant style Rava Dosa that is crispy and soft too
Warm Regards
Baskaran

Hemant Trivedi
11th December 2009, 02:22 AM
Dear Sri B.Ramamurthy,

It might be a surprise for you to learn that I or none of my family members like Rava Dosai.
However our cook Kamalamma used to make Godhumi maavu+Rava dosai with onions and other masala . It used to be a thick Uthappam like and very tasty.

I will be posting the recipe on my blog soon.

Hemant Trivedi

NOV
11th December 2009, 07:35 AM
Hemant-ji, pls allow me. :)

the easiest way to make perfect rava dosai is to mix equal portions of maidha flour (white flour), rice flour and ravaa lour (semolina). Add enough water to make it runny and leave it for a short while to rest.

in a pan melt some ghee, add sliced onion, sliced curry leaves, sliced green chilly and finely shredded ginger. (some ppl add blck pepper (milagu) and seeragam - I don't.) Once the thaalippu is cooked, add to flour mixture together with salt to taste.

preparation of thOsai kal is of utmost importance. if you are non-vegetarian, spread an egg to totally cover the heated tawa. once cooked, scrape off the egg and your tawa should be ready now.

another method is to liberally apply a lot of oil on the thava and heat it till there is a lot of smoke. after that switch off fire to let the tawa cool off for a while.

when making the rava dOsai, apply oil on the already oiled tawa. stir the flour mixture and create a zero on the tawa, ie spread the flour in a circle. only after that do you pour more flour in the centre to make a complete dOsai.

the consistency of the flour must be runny - so that you get a crispy dosai. it should NOT be like normal dOsai flour.

if the dOsai sticks to the pan, scrape it off and then apply more oil and continue doing the dOsai (DO NOT wash the tawa) You should get perfect dOsais after the 2nd one.

Happy dOsaiying :D

Hemant Trivedi
11th December 2009, 08:56 PM
Nov,

Thanks buddy. But the process to make a simple Rava Dosai seems to be fraught with almost 30 to 40 percent wastage. And at the end what you get? This crisp dosai which gets into my teeth? LOL

Jokes apart, I will try your recipe and get back to you with both my failures and success stories of "Hemant cooks Rava Dosai" .

Seriously, let me try it out and see.
A quick question.
Can I use Non stick pan to prepare this dosai?

Hemant Trivedi

NOV
12th December 2009, 06:28 AM
:lol: :lol:

at the most, 1 or 2 will be wasted and that too if the dosai kal has never been used to make rava dosai.

one more thing. after using the dosai kal, let it cool naturally ie do not wash. you can wipe it with tissue paper if you like.

the next time you need to use the dosai kal, wash it first. :D
Let it dry completely on the fire and then only apply oil. (I usually let the kal smoke first :smokesmirk: before applying the oil. )

Hemant Trivedi
13th December 2009, 04:51 AM
NOV,

Thanks for the pep message.
My dosai kaal is ok.
Will try out your method.

HT

kugan98
13th December 2009, 10:02 AM
Hemantji uncle and NOV anneh,
Its strange, I do not have any trouble with my dosai kals.
I have seperate ones for chappathi and dosai.
( You must see my collection of dosai kals)
As you have said, wash it and dry it on fire.
Then apply gingelly oil liberally. Let it cool.
Wipe off the excess oil with a kitchen towel.
You can use it without any difficulties.
I have never wasted a dosai or rava dosai.
Thanks Kugan98

[html:1a7ef9831b]
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1797/dosaikals.jpg
[/html:1a7ef9831b]

Hemant Trivedi
13th December 2009, 04:52 PM
kugan 98,

Thanks for the pics.
I have different kals for Dosai and Roti/chappathi.
But I can never pursue my wife "NOT TO WASH THEM" hehehehe

So every time I make dosais, I rub off the hot surface with Onion and get goodest dosais (Bad grammer)

I would love to lay my hands on non stick oxidised aluminium kal.
I have a pan and it is so wonderful.

Whatever. I will never , ever like Rava Dosai. Hehehehe

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
13th December 2009, 08:32 PM
Just some suggestions:
When dosai kal sticks the following can be done:
a) fry a little ullutham paruppu in a little oil all over the Kal. ( u can do this twice ).
b) take an onion/slice it & hold it flat side down. Pour little oil on the kal...& rub the down side onion all over. (just as hemanthji has mentioned).
This should prevent from any type of dosai from sticking.
happy non stick dosai kal... :mrgreen:

Hemant Trivedi
13th December 2009, 11:11 PM
Just some suggestions:
When dosai kal sticks the following can be done:
take an onion/slice it & hold it flat side down. Pour little oil on the kal...& rub the down side onion all over. (just as hemanthji has mentioned).
This should prevent from any type of dosai from sticking.
happy non stick dosai kal... :mrgreen:

Have been doing this since I can remember

NOV
14th December 2009, 06:13 AM
as far as I know, the onion rubbing is to make the dosai bottom shiny. also used when making paalaappam.

Hemant Trivedi
14th December 2009, 06:15 AM
as far as I know, the onion rubbing is to make the dosai bottom shiny. also used when making paalaappam.

NOV,

Apart from bottom shining, it prevents dosai from sticking and smooth turning.

HT

NOV
14th December 2009, 06:25 AM
ok, but it wont work if you are making rava dosai on a tawa that is used to make chapathi. :P

Hemant Trivedi
14th December 2009, 08:52 AM
NoN,Chappathi kal is thinner and I never use it for anything other than Chappathi.

dev
25th December 2009, 09:21 PM
Dear Hemantji, I tried the vadai kari recipe from ur blog & it turned out soooo good... This is the first time I'm having this dish & liked it a lot... it went well with both dosai & parotta... From now on it'll sure make a presence in our house whenever we make/buy paruppu vadai... Thanks a ton for the recipe...:)

Hemant Trivedi
26th December 2009, 05:24 PM
Dev,

Thanks for the feedback on Vadai curry.
It is truly an amazing side dish.

Hemant Trivedi

NOV
31st December 2009, 06:10 AM
[html:e31f111069]
http://www.ilkeryoldas.com/happy-new-year-wallpaper.jpg
[/html:e31f111069]

to Mr Hemant and all readers/contributors of this thread!

Hemant Trivedi
31st December 2009, 07:13 AM
Dear Nov and Friends,

Wishing you all a happy new year .

[html:fb2a4ab10e]
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4230073016_ffe7bbe3fb_o.jpg
[/html:fb2a4ab10e]

Thanks

Hemant Trivedi

kugan98
31st December 2009, 06:30 PM
Nichiro uncle, wishing you a very Happy New Year.
Kugan98

Hemant Trivedi
1st January 2010, 02:53 AM
Nichiro uncle, wishing you a very Happy New Year.
Kugan98

Thanks Kugan 98,
Wish you the same.

Hemant Trivedi

suvai
2nd January 2010, 04:33 AM
Happy New Year Hemanthji!!

Hemant Trivedi
6th January 2010, 05:41 PM
Suvai,

Thanks for your warm wishes.

HT

Hemant Trivedi
7th January 2010, 08:49 PM
Friends,

I completed 60 years today and am starting 61st year.

Hope for a very peaceful world.

HT

dev
7th January 2010, 09:25 PM
Congrats Hemantji!!!... wish you many many more happy,healthy, peaceful years!!!...

suvai
8th January 2010, 04:50 AM
Happy 60th Hemanthji!!! May you be blessed with good health & happiness!!

kugan98
8th January 2010, 05:09 AM
Uncle, I wish you a very happy birthday.
May the Almighty bless you with long life,
A very good health and lots and lots of happiness.
Happy Birthday Uncle.
Kugan98

NOV
8th January 2010, 06:06 AM
[html:bccabaf048]
http://img.123greetings.com/eventsnew/birth_milestone_60th/1008-073-03-1068.gif
[/html:bccabaf048]

Suja Rajkumar
8th January 2010, 06:57 AM
Hemanthji,
Many more happy returns of the day. May God shower you with good health, a long and happy life.

Suja Rajkumar

Hemant Trivedi
9th January 2010, 05:04 PM
Dear Friends,

I thank you all for your kind birthday wishes.
Let us all pray for universal happiness and peace.

HT

pavalamani pragasam
9th January 2010, 07:26 PM
Belated wishes: Happy birthday and many happy returns of the Day, Nichiro!

Mrs.Mano
9th January 2010, 10:30 PM
Dear Mr.Hemant Trivedi!

Belated wishes for a very Happy birthday!

I wish you a bright and fulfilling future with happiness and good health.

Hemant Trivedi
10th January 2010, 05:13 PM
PP Madam and Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for your warm wishes.
I am truely blessed.

Hemant

Hemant Trivedi
10th January 2010, 05:16 PM
Dear Friends,

A lesser known chilli called NEI MOZAKA is grown in Nilgiris. A friend has seen these chilli pepper in market there. The pods are roundish and small like glass marble.
Does any of you know of this.

I will be very grateful if I can get some info.

Thanks

HT

kugan98
10th January 2010, 06:52 PM
Uncle, I will try to find out for you.
Any way would these be any help to you.
Thanks Kugan98

Malaysian GoronongMalaysian Goronong: Most likley the only habanero from Malaysia/Indonesia. Bright yellow/orange pods that have the most odd shapes. Flavor is sweet and hot! Currently the only source of these in the United States and the only source we could find on the web. 10 seeds for $10.ghost pepper seed sale1

Contact Jims phone# : 619-504-9777 Jims e-mail : jpdherb@cox.net

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/5985/chillie.jpg (http://img532.imageshack.us/i/chillie.jpg/)

chevy
10th January 2011, 09:27 PM
Happy New year Hemant uncle. I was going thru ur blog.......You sound to be a north indian how do u know tamil :)

leons0133
30th March 2011, 04:03 PM
I like to cook very much.. but now i dont have time to spend....

Hemant Trivedi
27th November 2011, 04:09 AM
Friends,

I am back and I am back with a bang.

One news I want to share with you all.

I joined an Indian super market here in Austin called Gandhi Bazar and they have a restaurant also.

I introduced my powders, Gojjus here and they have become talk off the town in Indian (both South, North and Bengali 0 circles.

I prepare, Sambar, Rasa powders, Parappu podi, Karveppilai podi , Puliogare gojju, Bisibelebhath powder and Gojju , Idli Karam Podi and Biriyanoi paste.

I have also introduced Lemon pickle . I never knew that my preparations will become so popular.

I must thank Forum Hub for giving me the platform ten years back...(I lost count of years now).

I request Forum Hubbers in Austin to visit me iWe have one hubber here.

I will keep informing of all developments.

Hemant

suvai
27th November 2011, 05:04 AM
Congrats nga Hemant!!

NOV
27th November 2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.messletters.info/comments/congratulations/congrats01.gif

dev
27th November 2011, 05:32 PM
Congrats Uncle... :)

I tried accessing ur website www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com but couldn't... can u pls post the dry rasam rice recipe for me either on ur blog or the hub... I made it sometime back(and even recommended it to Kugan when she was looking for a diff rice recipe to serve as prasad) but din't note down the recipe... :(

Hemant Trivedi
27th November 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks Suvail Avl.

Hemant Trivedi
27th November 2011, 05:48 PM
Nov,

Thanks a Ton....!!

Hemant Trivedi
27th November 2011, 05:49 PM
Congrats Uncle... :)

I tried accessing ur website www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com but couldn't... can u pls post the dry rasam rice recipe for me either on ur blog or the hub... I made it sometime back(and even recommended it to Kugan when she was looking for a diff rice recipe to serve as prasad) but din't note down the recipe... :(

Dev,

Thanks . I will check my database and reppost the recipe ASAP.

pavalamani pragasam
27th November 2011, 07:26 PM
Congrats, Nichiro! Our Indian palates starved so far there must have be dribbling with relish and expectation with your very important service!:slurp: Does not the proverb say it rightly:'The way to a man's heart is through his stomach'?:lol2:

dev
29th November 2011, 11:08 PM
ok uncle...:)

thriinone
9th December 2011, 12:17 PM
Congratulations nichiro. I have been watching this platform for many years. Now that I am retired and I plan to treat my wife occasionally to surprise her with my skills, your website would be handy.

Hemant Trivedi
12th December 2011, 09:27 AM
My website may take a little while to come up. But I aim to use my blog to post old recipes.

My preparations have started going to colarado,Chicago and Boston.

I am thrilled.

pavalamani pragasam
12th December 2011, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear it! Wish you all the best!

Hemant Trivedi
13th December 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanx PP madam,Dev and all.

I sent my products to Chicago,Boston and Minnesota yesterday .!!I am thrilled that people like them so much .
I introduced, Kesari Milk Powder,Inji-Puli yesterday .

Hemant

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2011, 09:16 PM
Dear brother!

It is a pleasant surprise to see your post here after a long time!
My hearty congratulations for your new achievement!

Hemant Trivedi
15th December 2011, 03:54 AM
Thank you Mrs. Mano for your warm wishes.

Hemant Trivedi
26th December 2011, 05:23 AM
Last Tuesday, I met a lady at the store and she was wondering about a male making all spice powders and pickles that were kept on our store shelf.

I told her that I have taught cooking to thousands of expats through my websitte in the last ten years.
She asked me my name and I told her that I am Hemant Trivedi.

She literally jumped and held my hands and said,"Are you that legendary Hemant ji ?"
I said I don't know about legendary but I am that Hemant Trivedi.
It seems that she was following my recipes for the last ten years and had learnt a lot of cooking from my website.

Needless to say that she purchased a lot of powders and pastes because she was already satisfied by my Puliogare Gojju and sambar powdewrs.

This was a thrilling experience for me too !!
Just wanted to share this feeling.

Hemant Trivedi
31st March 2012, 07:19 AM
Tomorrow is a big day for me as my instant pastes, powders and spice mixes are being showcased at Veggie / Vegan fest tomorrow at Austin.

I have prepared, all Vegan items .

Biriyani paste, Korma Paste, Vindaloo Paste, Hot Curry Paste, Tikka Masala Paste ,Tea Masala Powder, Instant Coconut chutney are some of the Vegan products I am presenting to Austin Vegan community.

Hope that it goes well for me/

Nichiro

kugan98
31st March 2012, 08:10 AM
Congrats uncle, wish you all the best in all your undertakings.
Nothing to worry, every thing will go on smoothly for you.
Take care. Kugan