PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Sun
27th December 2004, 08:19 PM
Hai Mrs. Mano,

I tried your thiruvadirai kuzhambhu and it came out very well. Thanks for Sharing us your recipes.

sincerely
sun

shakthi
28th December 2004, 12:46 PM
Hi,

Can anyone pls email me the 2 collections of Mrs Mano's recipies.

thanks in advance

thenmathy@plbgroup.com.my

Kz
28th December 2004, 09:49 PM
Shakthi, Kavitha Senthil,Gentle and ushubber,

I have sent Mrs.Mano's 2 recipe collection to all ur mail ids.
Bye.
Kz

gentle
29th December 2004, 05:01 AM
Hi KZ,

Thanks a lot for sending the recipes

Kalyani
29th December 2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Kz,

Can i too get the second part of Mrs. Mano's recipes pls.
Thank u in advance.

kalyanispillai@yahoo.com

dev
29th December 2004, 03:19 PM
Can anyone pls post the 2nd part of mrs.Mano's recipes to

lakme
29th December 2004, 09:10 PM
Please send both collections of Mrs. Mano's recipes to me also, at lakme63@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance.

Kz
29th December 2004, 10:56 PM
Hi Kalyani, Dev and Lakme,
I have sent the recipe collection to ur mail id.let me know if u got it.
bye,
Kz

foodlover
30th December 2004, 04:23 AM
Hello Everybody !
i recently bought a toaster oven . i tried baking cake in it , but it doesn't came out very well.The upper layer is browned too much and the lower part didn't cook well.i kept the temperature at 355 F for 25 minutes.Can anybody tell me the correct temperature and time to be used in toaster oven to bake cake.Thanks in advance.
Foodlover

kavithasenthil
30th December 2004, 05:38 AM
Hi KZ,
I got the recipe collection. Thanks a lot.

Kavitha.S :)

Mrs.Mano
30th December 2004, 10:17 AM
Dear PR!
The paniyaram you have prepared is in correct texture. Yes. It will be very soft as they have eggs. You have to be careful when adding them in the kuzhambu. Then after finishing the kuzhambu, it is better to take away and keep them separately in a bowl and serve along with the kuzhambu when it is needed. You might have added a little more tamarind. Coconut milk will make the texture smoother than the ground coconut paste. The taste will also differ with the ground coconut. Experience only will always make us very good chefs.

Mrs.Mano
30th December 2004, 10:17 AM
Hello Sun!
Thanks a lot for the feed back on thiruvathirai kuzhambu.

dev
30th December 2004, 07:37 PM
Hi KZ,

I too received the recipe collections...Thanks a lot...:)

R
31st December 2004, 03:26 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

How r u doing?

Tried yr cashewnut burfi and it came out nicely. Though, I have a few problems with the same.

I have been making cashew katli or badham burfi; with all the nut sweets, noticed that the sugar would never dissolved properly unless otherwise, prepared them with sugar syrup method.

I faced the same problem with yr method too. As u said, ground the cashew with milk and started stirring with sugar on the stove, did not come together. So, added little more milk and little amt of water too. Then only, it all started coming together and everything came out perfectly; but, at the end, could tasted the sugar granules very mildly while chewing the sweet.

Pls explain me whenever you are free.

Thanks and Bye.

dev
31st December 2004, 10:29 AM
Wish you all a very happy New Year...

Mrs.Mano
31st December 2004, 04:17 PM
I WISH ALL THE FRIENDS A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

mira
31st December 2004, 10:32 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Wish you a very happy and prosperous new year.
Whenever time permits please let us know
how to make that hotel style crisp golden paper dosa . What proportions of Dal and rice should be used and any tips to get that hotel taste.

Mira

Mrs.Mano
1st January 2005, 08:42 AM
Here I begin the New Year with a sweet and then a recipe of a vegetable dish follows it.
GREEN GRAM PUTTU:
Ingredients:
Green gram- 3/4 cup
Ghee- 1/4 cup
Broken cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 2 handfuls
Jaggery- 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Salt- a pinch
Procedure:
Soak the green gram in enough water for 1 hour, drain the water and then grind it coarsely with a pinch of salt. Put it in a greased plate and steam it for 10 minutes. Heat a kadai and pour the ghee. Fry the cashew nuts to golden brown colour and take away them. Then add the green gram mixture and fry it on slow fire in the ghee until it turns like bread crumbs and soft. Now add the shredded coconut and fry for a few minutes. Simultaneously make thick syrup with the jaggery. If you pour a drop in a cup of water, you must be able to make it in to a soft ball. That is the correct consistency. Pour this to the green gram mixture with the cardamom powder and mix well on the slow fire for a few seconds.
VAAZHAITHTHANDU PACHADI:
Ingredients:
Vazhaiththandu chucks- 1 cup
Fresh curd- 1 cup
Shredded coconut- a handful
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Small onions- 10
Green chillies-2
Crushed ginger- 1 tsp
Chopped curry leaves- 1 tbsp
Chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Procedure:
Cut the vaazhaiththandu in thin stripes of ½ inches and cook them in a very little water with the turmeric powder and enough salt. There is no need to cook them to the full extent. Keep them away. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the black gram. Then add the chopped onion, chillies, ginger, shredded coconut, curry and coriander leaves with a pinch of salt. Fry them to golden brown and pour this to the vaazhaiththandu. Mix well. When it is cooled down add the fresh curd to it and mix well.

Kz
2nd January 2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Foodlover,
Try baking cake in oven for 350 degrees Farenheit for 45 minutes.i have not tried in toaster oven so dont know abt it. but in normal oven it comes out good. try checking the manual .
Kz

pr
2nd January 2005, 11:07 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Happy new year!!!!!!!!!
Whenever u find time cld u pls post the recipe for making gulab jamuns from khoya and maida .Thank u very much

R
3rd January 2005, 06:44 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

How are you doing?

I just want to remind you about my query to Cashew burfi; pls do reply me whenever you are free. And, pls post me yr version for semia idly too.

Thanks and Regards.

gvb
4th January 2005, 10:58 PM
hi,
am new to this forum...cud someone pls send me mrs.mano's recipes to gvsugan@hotmail.com?Thanx in advance.

Thattai
5th January 2005, 08:43 AM
hi all,

wish u all a happy and prosperous 2005.

Mrs. Mano,

Could you please share recipes for crab/fish fingers? Also, could you give tips on freezing the same so that I can make them in one batch and use them as reqd? Thanks!

Kalyani
5th January 2005, 12:09 PM
Hello Kz, Thank you the attachment. got it.
Kalyani

Mrs.Mano
5th January 2005, 08:13 PM
Hello R!

I am surprised to note that you can taste the sugar granules even after having cooked the almond mixture for nearly 20 minutes. It should melt in the heat within a few minutes. I couldn’t understand where you have gone wrong. Have you tried castor sugar [powdered sugar]? I think it is best for you.

Mrs.Mano
5th January 2005, 08:14 PM
Dear Mira!

Thanks a lot for the greetings.
For a cup of dosa batter, add 2tsp of plain flour and 1 tsp of gram flour. You can get crisp golden dosas like the ones you get from the hotels.

Mrs.Mano
5th January 2005, 08:14 PM
Dear Pr!
Thank you very much for the greetings!
About gulab jamoon with maida and khoya- I have never tried that type of gulab jamoon though I have the recipe. As I have got very good result with the one in which we use milk powder, I have never tried to test another version. If you want that recipe, I will post it.

pr
5th January 2005, 09:38 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
S I would like to have the recipe for gulab jamun using khoya and maida
Byebye

pr
6th January 2005, 04:54 AM
Dear Mrs Mano!!!
Are appa soda and samayal soda the same . If s, r they baking powder ? Thanks and regards

pr
6th January 2005, 05:12 AM
sorry typo error . it shld be read as baking soda

dsankaran
6th January 2005, 08:28 PM
Hi all, I am visiting this forum after a long time. Just thought I should share my recent experiment with cranberries.

Fresh Cranberries - 1 pkt
Sugar - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 3 tsp
Jeera powder - 1 tsp
Salt - as required
Gingelly Oil - 4-5 tbsp
Vendayam (Fenugreek powder) - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp

Wash Cranberries. Drain and keep aside. Heat Gingelly oil in a non-stick pan. Pop mustard seeds. Add Cranberries and close the pan. Cook on sim until cranberries are soft and mushy. Add salt, sugar, chilli powder and jeera powder. Let it cook (open) on sim until the raw smell of the chilli powder goes away. Keep stirring once in a while. You could add a little water to get the cranberries cooked fully if you don't want to use a lot of oil. Towards the end, add powdered fenugreek. Cool and store in an airtight container. This is a good accompaniment for rotis, bread (use as a spread) or just mix with rice and eat.

Hope you like this.

Thanks
D

sonumickey
7th January 2005, 01:50 AM
hi mano

i am looking for the briyani recipe of hotel anganan in coimbatore. but so far not successful. i saw in this thread, u have told madurai is famous for its briyani. can you give that recipe, plsss....

thxs in advance
gayathri

sonumickey
7th January 2005, 02:22 AM
Dear Mano
YOur recipes are fabulous. that too, the meen puttu is tasting fantastic.
I would love to receive the attachment of your recipes. Please do send it to me.you can send the attachment to my email.
my eamil id is gayu_mickey@hotmail.com

thanks in advance
expecting your email and the attachment.
gayathri

mira
7th January 2005, 11:49 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thanks a lot for your Dosa tip. I am planning to visit my parents in Mumbai next month. Please suggest while buying iron tawa for making dosas what should I look for, I mean tawa thickness/quality/ etc.

Thank you,
Mira

kavithasenthil
8th January 2005, 04:55 AM
Hello foodlover,

I think u might have chosen broiler instead of bake in ur toster oven. When u bake...the coil heated will be in the bottom but when u broil the coil heated will be on the top. So be careful in the next time.

kals
8th January 2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Mrs mano,

I would like to have the first and the second part of ur recipe's collection.Can u please send it to this id gkalsu@hotmail.com thanks in advance.

from
kals

dev
8th January 2005, 12:24 PM
Hello Kavitha,

Thanks a lot for ur tip on toaster oven...really useful tip...I used to wonder how to bake cake in the toaster oven...now i can try using ur tip...

Mrs.Mano
8th January 2005, 09:33 PM
Hello Thattai!
Here is a recipe for fish fingers. But I haven’t any knowledge of crab fingers. You can experiment with crab meat with a little potato mash and a little spice. You can store them in a storage box in the freezer for 15 days.
FISH FINGERS:
Ingredients:
To marinate:
Boneless fish- 250 gms
Lime juice- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Black pepper powder- ½ tsp
Soya sauce- 1 tsp
Chilli sauce- 1 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Ajinamoto- ¼ tsp
Corn flour- 1tsp
Plain flour-1 tsp
Salt to taste
For the dip:
Bread crumbs- 1 cup
Corn flour- 1 cup mixed with ½ tsp of chilli powder
Beaten egg- 1
A pinch of salt
Procedure:
Cut the fish into finger shaped pieces and marinate in the above mixture for half an hour. Then heat a kadai and pour enough oil to fry. Dip the pieces in the beaten egg, roll first in the corn flour and then again roll in the bread crumbs. Fry the pieces to a golden colour. You can use coarsely crushed cornflakes instead of bread crumbs.

Mrs.Mano
8th January 2005, 09:34 PM
Dear Pr!
Aappa soda, samaiyal soda, soda uppu and baking soda all is the same ingredient. This is especially used to ferment the batters in our cookery besides various purposes. Some people use it to cook even lentils. Baking powder is used mainly in baking cakes and in chappathis, roti varieties. Here is the recipe of Gulab jamun for you!
GULAB JAMUN:
Simmer 1 liter of thick milk until it comes to the thickness of soild khoya[kova]. Place 1 tsp of ghee, 2 tsp of water and ½ tsp of baking soda in a bowl and beat them with an egg beater or with the palm of yr hand. Add the khoya to this and mix well. Then add 50gms of plain flour and knead lightly. Do not knead with force. Make balls and fry them in oil. They should be fried in slow fire. As usual make one thread syrup with enough sugar and add the hot balls in the syrup.

Mrs.Mano
8th January 2005, 09:34 PM
Hello Gayathri!
I have already posted a few types of briyani in this same thread. But I have no knowledge of Hotel Anganan Briyani. Could you please tell me the location of that hotel in Coimbatore? I would like to taste it when I go there.
And thank you very much for the feed back on meen puttu.
I have just sent the attachment of my recipes for you!

Mrs.Mano
8th January 2005, 09:35 PM
Dear Mira!
You can buy big iron tawa with a slight curve in the center. With this type you can prepare dosas as well as aappams. The tawa must be very thick.

Mrs.Mano
8th January 2005, 09:36 PM
Hello kals!

One of the forum hub friends, Mrs.KH divided my recipes in to 2 parts and used to send the persons who liked to have them. Now she doesn’t visit the forum hub as she engaged into some personal commitments.

pr
8th January 2005, 10:47 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thank u very much for the gulab jamun recipe . Thanks for clarifying about the soda . I will post the feedback after trying the jamun ..
Take care ..

kavithasenthil
9th January 2005, 10:33 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
Can u pls post recipe for parupu urundai kuzhambu? Thanks in advance.

gvb
9th January 2005, 11:26 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I would like to know how to make puffy uthappams.I get it thick around the corners but in the middle its just thin like dosa.Shud i add anything to the batter?Could u also tell me how to make raitas like they do at restaurants?Everything looks blended and the taste is so incredible.Please let me know whenever u find time,Mrs.Mano.

Warmly,
Suganthi

pr
11th January 2005, 01:43 AM
Dear Kavitha Senthil
I,m reposting the paruppu urundai kuzhambu from Mrs Manos recipe collection for u .
PARUPPU URUNDAI KUZHAMBU:
Soak a small orange sized tamarind for ½ hour and then extract the thick juice out of it. Soak 1 cup of lentils with a handful of Bengal gram for 2 hours and then grind with 1sp fennel seeds, 3 red chillies and 2 green chillies coarsely like we grind for ‘Masal vadai’. Add enough salt when grinding the dhals. Add 1 cup of chopped onions, 2tbsp chopped garlic flakes, curry leaves and ½ cup shredded coconut. Mix well. Make lime sized balls. In a deep vessel. pour gingelly oil. Add one cup of chopped sambar onions and 2 cups of crushed tomatoes. Cook on moderate fire until they are well mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Powder 1sp fennel seed and 1sp fenugreek seed coarsely. Add the powders and some curry leaves to the tomatoes and fry for a few minutes. Pour the tamarind extract. Add 1sp turmeric powder, 2tbsp chilli powder and 3tbsp coriander powder. Add enough salt. Let the kuzhambu simmer for a few minutes. Now add the balls 5 at a time and when they come on the surface, then add the balls again. Thus complete all the balls. When dropping the balls in the kuzhambu, the consistency of it must be watery. The fire should not be high. After completing the balls the kuzhambu must simmer for a few minutes. The kuzhambu will thicken when we finish the cooking. You can add pieces of drumstick and it will enhance the taste and the flavour. It must be added and cooked well before dropping the balls.

foodlover
11th January 2005, 01:45 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano !
i tried ur microwave palgova and carrot halwa recipe and it came out really nice.Thank u for the recipe.I need recipe of sathu maavu or any other healthy maavu which can be mixed with water and can be given to 10 month old baby.Also i will go for a long trip to India.So I want tips and ideas abt storing foods in the freezer so that my husband can heat it and eat.Thanks in advance.
Regards
Foodlover

foodlover
11th January 2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks Kz and Kavitha senthil for the idea.I have a toaster oven which doesn't have broiler function in it.iam trying to find a solution thru trial and error method :P

R
11th January 2005, 03:35 AM
Hi foodlover,

If you dont mind, a suggestion for you. There was a thread for sathu maavu which has lots of info., about the same. You can get a recipe from Mrs.Mano as well as collect those info., so that can feed yr baby with variety of sathu maavus.

I am still giving my 22 months old daughter with two variety of sathu maavu.

Good luck.

foodlover
12th January 2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks R ! i read the sathu maavu thread .It was useful to me.Thanks again .Regards Foodlover.

R
12th January 2005, 04:38 AM
You are welcome, foodlover.

And, recently, viewed this modified version of sathu maavu; if u r interested, can give a try.

All the grains are in the same measurements-100 g

kambu, ragi, kaaramani, p.payaru, wheat whole, black chick peas, white maize(corn), urad dal with skin, horse gram, field beans, maize(makka cholam).

Procedure:

Dry fry each ingredients separately and grind nicely just like the other sathu maavu.

If adults or grown up kids wants to eat, can make like nombu adai by mixing with jaggery syrup, dates, raisins, cashew and it is really tasty.

Good luck!!

R
12th January 2005, 04:51 AM
Hello foodlover,

As far as I know, I dont prefer to store food in the freezer considering the health factor. Recently, went to India; made food for 10 days which I kept in the refrigerator.

Here are the items I made-

1. thengai podi (with dry coconut powder)
2. tomato onion mixture to make thakkali rice
3. aloo poha or any other upma
4. puliyodharai
5. vathal kuzhambu or milagu kuzhambu
6. gun powder or paruppu podi
7. urulai kizhangu podi
8. kathirikai podi curry (can mix with rice)
9. ginger thuvayal
10. idly, dosa batter with some chutney but w/o coconut

This is how I made and put the no. in order accordingly which will get spoiled at first. I also prepared a couple of gravies, but dont remember. Totally, it came for 10 days incl. pulikaichal. There is no point in taking too much of tamarind items which is not good for health.

Anyways, Mrs.Mano will suggest you with better ideas.

Bye.

NOV
13th January 2005, 06:25 PM
Mrs Mano, how about some delicious & unusual Pongal fare to celebrate these festivities?

kals
13th January 2005, 10:31 PM
Mrs mano,

Wish u and ur family a very happy pongal.Also i wish all the forum hub members "A very happy pongal to u and ur family".

from
kals :P

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2005, 11:13 PM
Dear Suganthi!
I have already posted the recipe for ‘OOTHTHAPPAM’ in this same thread. You can see it in yr attachment.
About raita- normally roasted cumin powder and finely chopped mint leaves are added in the raita. For extra flavour- you can grind a green chilli with ½ sp of shredded ginger and 1 tbsp of coriander leaves and 1 tbsp of mint leaves and add this paste with ½ sp of roasted cumin powder to 2 cups of fresh curd. Try this method and give me the feedback.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2005, 11:13 PM
Dear foodlover!
About baby food, I think it is better to follow the information given by an experienced mother like R. Because what we followed are entirely different to the system followed by the present mothers.
About storing food- you can prepare lot of podi varieties like paruppu podi, gun powder, curry leaves powder and pepper podi etc. You can make a few types of vathal kuzhambu without onions, puli kaychal like R said.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2005, 11:16 PM
I wish all the friends in the formhub a :) VERY HAPPY PONGAL!!!

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2005, 11:27 PM
Hello NOV!
Wish you a very HAPPY PONGAL!
Could you please clarify what do you mean by " delicious and unusual pongal fare"?

foodlover
13th January 2005, 11:36 PM
Thank u very much for the advice R ! Can u give me home made baby food recipes ( Indian style ) ? Regards Foodlover

foodlover
13th January 2005, 11:41 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
i tried red kidney beans masala and made chappathies as per ur advice.The chappathis were soft and red kidney beans masala was very nice.Thank u for the recipe.could u post mushroom gravy recipe ?Thanks in Advance.
I wish u all a very happy Pongal :P

R
14th January 2005, 12:34 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Tried aval dosai and green gram methi dosai. Both were so good and my fly loved them so much. Particularly, green gram dosai-could not believe the texture. It was so boring to eat the pesarattu; it is really a change.

Thanks for the tasty recipes.

Bye.

R
14th January 2005, 12:39 AM
Hello foodlover,

Can u tell me how old is yr baby?

If you dont mind, give me yr mail id so that can send you a detailed mail, ok.

Bye.

kals
14th January 2005, 03:36 AM
Hi r,

Can u please post the baby food recipes in this forum so that everyone can be benifited.I too have a girl who is 14 months old and very weak.I like to know how u prepare it.So please post it here so that even i can see it.thanks.
from
kals

gvb
14th January 2005, 07:14 AM
Thank you,Mrs.Mano.I'll defintely try it this weekend.Wish u a very happy Pongal and to everybody here.

Suganthi

shanta
14th January 2005, 10:54 AM
Hi r,

Can u please post the baby food recipes in this forum so that everyone can be benifited.I too have a girl who is 14 months old and very weak.I like to know how u prepare it.So please post it here so that even i can see it.thanks.
from
kals

I agree, please post the baby food recipes here or in a new topic called "Baby Food", I have a 11 month old and want to try some home made baby food.

Thanks in advance,
shanta

foodlover
14th January 2005, 09:45 PM
Hello R !
As many mothers want Baby food recipes can u open a new topic and post recipes there.BTW my baby is 10 months old.Thanks in advance.Regards Foodlover.

dgnana
15th January 2005, 03:04 AM
I came across this thread when I was searching for some south Indian recipes and have been reading it with great interest for the past hour. Many kudos to the participants, especially Mrs. Mano - the kind of time and effort that goes into creating and maintaining a discussion like this is huge and even as someone who just stumbled onto this, I really appreciate it.

If you don't mind, can someone send me the recipe collections(anupamas@comcast.net)?

Thanks very much,
Anu.

R
15th January 2005, 03:11 AM
Hello foodlover, shanta and kals,

A small correction-dont have any separate recipe for baby foods. I have mentioned that I can also express my views or suggest comments since had crossed that stage recently.

Hope you get me now.

Anyways, will open a thread and share my ideas on the food pattern, etc. for my daughter. Hope atleast a couple of points shd be useful to one of the readers, as I use to share with my folks and friends.

Bye

NOV
15th January 2005, 09:14 AM
Hello NOV!
Wish you a very HAPPY PONGAL!
Could you please clarify what do you mean by " delicious and unusual pongal fare"?Happy Pongal to you and your family and not forgetting all HUbbers here!

Mrs Mano, I was actually looking forward to some variations of the normal Pongal fare, such as sarkkarai saadham, venpongal, etc etc. But never mind - I tasted five different kinds of pongal from different sources, but I still like the one made by my wife. :)

R
15th January 2005, 04:17 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Hope you must be busy with the festival.

Anyways, I am here to remind you about my query-semia idly. Pls do post the recipe when you have a leisure time.

Also, need a couple of clarification-every time, when I make ulundhu vadai, it use to be so soft and crispy. this time, it was little hard. Is it because of insufficient of water?

For aamai vada- I use to notice that for all savories like thenkuzhal or vada, we have to take it out only when the oil sound completely stops, right? But, with this vada, when I did it, it is becoming too crispy. After I saw the color brown, I knew that I had to take it out, but still the sound was there in the oil. So, how to find out when is the right time ?

though the aamai vada's texture is little crispier, dont want to eat it like murukku. Can u pls solve my problem?

Also, I noticed in the road shops, the aamai vada's color will be attractive and the smell use to be good. I tried adding masala powder, but, no use.

Thanks and take care.

pr
18th January 2005, 02:52 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried gulab jamun using milk powder and it turned out really great . It was like the one in hotels .I actually did 2 batches with the same amount of sugar syrup u have mentioned for 1.
one question here , will the consistency of jamuns be good if we drop them in the sugar syrup once 1 thread consistency is reached . What is the reason to drop the jamuns when the sugar syrup is simmering and why is it allowed to cook in sugar syrup ? why i,m asking this is some of the jamuns lost shapeand came out when done like this . pls reply me whenever you find time
Thanks and regards

virumbi
18th January 2005, 06:04 PM
mrs.mano,

hope u r doing good. happy new year. i just joined this forum .i went thro the tamilnadu delicacies thread.nice & gr8.tempted to join here. can u pls send me ur collecions

virumbi
18th January 2005, 06:05 PM
Dear mrs.mano,

hope u r doing good. happy new year. i just joined this forum .i went thro the tamilnadu delicacies thread.nice & gr8.tempted to join here. gan u pls send me ur collecions
to lamera1@yahoo.com

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 12:08 AM
Hello NOV!
I regret for my delayed reply. Due to ill health, I couldn’t write earlier.
I am happy that you have celebrated the Pongal nicely with yr wife’s sweetest pongal. If possible, please post yr wife’s recipe so that every body can be benefited by it.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 12:12 AM
Dear R!
Thanks a lot for the feed back on the dosai recipes.
About ulunthu vadai- the hardness of it may be due to the quality of black gram. If it is too old, we can not get the softness in idlis as well as in the vadais. Nowadays the quality of the black gram is like that.

For masal vasai as well as all the savouries, it must be important that they must be fried on medium fire. So they will be cooked completely when they change to a light golden brown colour. There is no need to notice the stopping of the sound. For masal vadai also, do not cook them to a brown colour. They will not be tasty. Fry them to a golden brown colour under medium fire. They must be very soft to eat. That is the correct texture.

Here is the recipe for Vermicilli idli. I have 3 or 4 recipes with me. I had to try them to give a good recipe. That is why I am posting this recipe after a few days’ delay.
[b]SEMIYA IDLI :{ VERMICILLI IDLI}
Ingredients:
Vermicelli – 1 ½ cups
Semolina- ¾ cup
Ghee- 2 tsp
Oil-3tbsp
Fresh curd- 2 cups
Water-4 tbsp
Onion-2 {chopped finely}
Tomato-1/2 cup {chopped finely}
Chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1tsp
Asafetida powder- 1 tsp
Split black gram- 1tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Chopped coriander-2tbsp
Shredded coconut- ½ cup
Baking powder- ½ tsp
Enough salt
Procedure:
Fry the vermicelli and the semolina separately in the ghee to a light golden colour. Take away and let them to cool in a bowl. Again pour the oil in the same kadai and heat it. Add the cumin seeds, black gram and asafetida and fry for a few seconds. Add the chopped onion, green chilli and the greens and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tomato and fry well until it is cooked well. Add this to the vermicilli mixture. Add the beaten curd, and the baking powder with the water and enough salt. Mix well. Add the coconut and mix well. Keep this mixture covered for 30 minutes, then mix well and pour the batter in the idli moulds. Steam them for 15 minutes.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 12:13 AM
Dear food lover!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on red kidney beans masala as well as for the greetings.
You can try the same recipe with mushroom also. You can use mixed vegetables with the mushroom instead of potatoes and red kidney beans. Add more tomatoes and a little coconut milk. I will post a mushroom recipe after some time.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 12:13 AM
Dear PR!
When we cook the jamoons in the sugar syrup, they will enlarge further and become soft. I have learned this method from a friend who was working in a five star hotel 15 years back. If you want a firm gulabjamoon, avoid the baking soda and use only the baking powder. If it is 1/4sp of B.Soda and ¼ sp of B.Powder, then avoid the B.Soda and add ½ sp of baking powder only.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 12:17 AM
Dear Virumbi!
I have just sent my recipe collects for you! Hope you will enjoy cooking them.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 12:18 AM
sorry, I have wrongly typed as 'collects' instead of 'collections.

R
19th January 2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks for your clear explanation. Next time, will follow yr instruction.

Abt aamai vada, other than the points u have mentioned, can I grind without adding any water? Will it come out soft ?

For rava idly, you mentioned to add fruit salt or baking soda. But, for semia idly, I saw baking powder under the ingredients list. Does it make any difference ?

Thanks for yr time.

Take care, bye

virumbi
19th January 2005, 03:01 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I got ur collections... Thanx a lot and thanx for ur time in sending it..

virumbi
19th January 2005, 03:06 AM
Iam preparing idiyappam with the readymade rice flour and it is not so soft after 5-10min of serving
pls give me ur suggestions thanks in adv

nalabaagam
19th January 2005, 03:52 AM
Hello Virumbi,

Please can you forward me Mrs. Mano's recipe collections.
My email id: rmalathy@yahoo.com

Appreciate your help in this regard.
Thanks.

Nalabaagam.

virumbi
19th January 2005, 05:07 AM
hi nalabaagam,

i have sent Mrs.manos recipe collections.

virumbi

kabi
19th January 2005, 05:20 AM
Please anyone can forward me Mrs. Mano's recipe collections.
My email id: rahimahmgs@yahoo.com

nalabaagam
19th January 2005, 05:22 AM
hi nalabaagam,

i have sent Mrs.manos recipe collections.

virumbi

Hi Virumbi,

Thank You very much for sending the recipe collection.

Regards,
Nalabaagam

kabi
19th January 2005, 05:27 AM
does anyone know how to make rava idly

NOV
19th January 2005, 09:10 AM
Hello NOV!
I regret for my delayed reply. Due to ill health, I couldn’t write earlier.
I am happy that you have celebrated the Pongal nicely with yr wife’s sweetest pongal. If possible, please post yr wife’s recipe so that every body can be benefited by it.No probs Mrs Mano. Hope you are feeling better now; that is important.
As for my wife's Pongal recipe, I dont think it is any different from what millions would be using. In any case, I dont wish to hijack your thread.
Please continue with your good work. And for all our sakes, pls take care of your health. ;)

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 11:10 AM
Dear R!
For masal vadai-grinding the dal without water is very important. First grind a handful of soaked dal with green chillies, asafetida powder and soaked red chillies to a coarse paste. You may sprinkle a few drops of water for grinding the chillies. Then add the remaining dal and enough salt. Just run the grinder for a few seconds. Then add the chopped onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
In recipes like rava idli, semiya idli, aappams and cakes, an activating agent like baking soda or baking powder or fruit salt is used to release carbon dioxide to rise the batter or loosen the batter to give softness to the food. Every recipe of these needs a different activating agent to produce good result. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and an acid. In the case of baking soda, the reaction is instant. You can also test with baking soda in semiya idli.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 11:11 AM
Hello NOV!
Thanks a lot for yr concern as well as yr kind reply.

Mrs.Mano
19th January 2005, 11:11 AM
Dear virumbi!

I never used the readymade flour for the idiyaappams and so I couldn’t say anything about it.

dev
19th January 2005, 01:00 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Is there any substitute to baking soda & baking powder that can be used for fermentation?... I don't prefer using these coz I feel it's not very healthy...can yeast be used in it's place & if yes,pls let me know the quantity to be used...& also let me know if yeast is healthy,please... :roll:

virumbi
19th January 2005, 06:47 PM
hi kabi,

i have sent u the collections of Mrs.Mano.Check it out for rava idly..

virumbi

virumbi
19th January 2005, 06:56 PM
Thanx for ur reply Mrs.Mano. i tried the potato chips, while frying the slices at what stage i should take the chips.i took when the slices started b'coming brown bcoz when i took a little earlier it was not crispy.. suggest me.

R
19th January 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks for yr clear and prompt explanation, Mrs.Mano.

Take care, bye.

foodlover
19th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano !
Thanks for the reply.u have written that we can use mushroom and mixed vegetables instead of red kidney beans and potato.there was no potatoes in the recipe for red kidney beans masala..there is another recipe called 'red kidney beans and potato fry'.in that there is no coconut milk.So please clarify me in which recipe can i use mushroom instead of kidney beans.i made chicken 65 and chilli gobi.chicken 65 was excellent.but chilli gobi didn't came out crispier and consumed more oil.kindly explain me.i was new to deep frying.kindly give me tips abt deep frying in oil.reply me when u have time and feeling well.thanks in advance.Take care.regards foodlover

pr
19th January 2005, 10:53 PM
Thank you very much for the explanation about jamuns . I will try next time as per ur tip .In case of firm gulab jamuns , apart from adding baking powder should i also cook them in the syrup .
Note : s , the gulab jamuns were like the ones we have in hotels and i was really happy i got it . But my husband likes the firm ones . so wanted to try it again . Pls clarify me abt the above mentioned query .
Take care of ur health .. ......
Thanks and regards

rb
20th January 2005, 03:16 AM
hi everyone!
I am new to the forum.happy new year to all.I am going through the previous pages to catch up with u people.

i think the recipes posted will be very helpful to me, as i get struck up when fixing the food .bye now.

rb
20th January 2005, 03:25 AM
hi

could anyone forward me the recipe collections( mrs.mano's &others) to
rohitamma@yahoo.com

thanks in advance.

R
21st January 2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

This weekend, will try semia idly and let you know the result.

And, I have bought grapes and it is too too sour. It isjust sleeping the fridge becoz of the sourness. Can you suggest me what to do with it?

Waiting for yr reply..

Thanks and Bye.

p.s.: If anyone has any idea, pls do suggest me ASAP.

nalabaagam
22nd January 2005, 07:42 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

I tried the red chutney (for Mysore Masala) from your recipes collection. It tasted more like paruppu thuvaiyal we used to make as a side dish for milagu rasam saadham. Is that how it tastes or did I mess up with any ingredients more or less? :?

By the way, I got to visit the site www.arusuvai.com. There I saw a section "Thirumathi 'mano'-vin pakkangal". Is that your section?
It was very interesting!

Regards,
Nalabaagam.

virumbi
22nd January 2005, 08:07 AM
hi nalagaagam ,

i have gone thro' the site. its nice.

virumbi
22nd January 2005, 08:10 AM
and she is the one, our Mrs.mano

ritz
22nd January 2005, 10:09 PM
I am new to this forum. im new to cooking too. :D
found this forum to be awesome. ive been readin up on the previous posts.

Please can anyone forward me the recipe collections ( mrs. mano's and the other collection too)
im really sure the recipes wuld be a gr8 help to me.

really appreciate ur help..
thanks in advance

my email is- senritz@yahoo.com

Mrs.Mano
24th January 2005, 12:28 AM
Hello Dev!

Yeast or baking soda or baking powder is more or less has the same character. Actually baking soda acts as a good medicine for some stomach ailments. Other than steamed food varieties like idlies and idiyappams, aappam which we get from the fermented batter of rice, coconut milk, yeast or baking soda is also recommended for patients. Yeast or baking powder is added in all the baked food varieties and you can’t avoid all of them. In some hotels, and homes also, they add baking soda to the idli batter to get the extra softness. In an already fermented batter, the introduction of baking soda kills the vitamin B which is present in the fermented batter. That much harm it can do. Otherwise these activating agents always help in the every day cooking. Here is a link for you to see how the baking soda helps in our daily routine.
http://homeparents.about.com/cs/householdtips/a/baksoda_health.htm

Mrs.Mano
24th January 2005, 12:32 AM
Hello virumbi!
I always mention that we must not cook a dish in full fire. If you fry the chips in medium fire, you can take away the chips in full white color and crisp. There is no need to take them when they become brown.

Mrs.Mano
24th January 2005, 12:48 AM
Hello foodlover!
I regret for the confusion. I have mentioned about the red kidney beans and potato fry. You can add mushroom and mixed vegetables instead of red kidney beans and potato and also you can add a little coconut milk and more tomatoes in it.
In the chilli gobi recipe-the batter must not be watery. They must be like a coating mix and thick. Otherwise, the result will not become crisp. They will only be soggy.
As I have already said, when you deep fry something, cook them in medium fire-not full fire. Full fire is needed for only poories.

dev
24th January 2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks a lot for explaing Mrs.Mano...So,it's not as harmful as I thought it is...:)

Cindy
24th January 2005, 01:16 PM
Can anyone post me the ratio for kuzhambu milagai thool?

R
24th January 2005, 06:39 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

I saw recipe for pirandai thuvayal in a magazine. Since it is not available here, can I substitute with some other veg., ? Which veg., goes well in that place?

thanks for yr reply in advance.

Bye.

R
24th January 2005, 06:41 PM
One more query, Mrs.Mano-what is the purpose of adding the one day old batter to venthaya idly?

Once again, thanks.

gvb
24th January 2005, 08:45 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
I tried ur recipe of venghaya puli kuzhambu,green gram methi dosai ,Tomato dosai and the raita u had given me...Everything came out fantastic..Thanx a lot,Mrs.Mano..Do u have any recipes for Seppankazhangu fry?I also have another question..When i cook basmati rice its always sticking together.I even tried the ratio of 1:1 with the same results..What shud i do about this?Please reply back when u find time.

Warmly.
Suganthi

R
24th January 2005, 09:18 PM
Am not sure, but heard that if you add a drop of oil before cooking, the rice will not stick together.

Nirav
25th January 2005, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I came across this thread when searching for tamil nadu recipes. This forum is really good with lot of worthful effort put in by Mrs.Mano. Hats off to you Mrs.Mano..

Can anyone send me the recipe collections of Mrs. Mano to my id, nirmalapn@yahoo.com. Thanx in Advance.

Cindy
25th January 2005, 07:06 PM
Check out www.arusuvai.com you will surely add to ur favorites.

Mano, is the vathal kuzhambu podi given there the same as the kuzhambu milagai podi available in the market?.. if not what is the change in ingredients? and the ratio plz...

Mrs.Mano
25th January 2005, 08:39 PM
Dear pr!
About gulab jamoon- You must prepare it in the exact way as my recipe says apart from adding baking powder. By avoiding the baking soda, you will get firm gulab jamoons.

Mrs.Mano
25th January 2005, 08:40 PM
Hello R!

I do not remember any recipe involving sour grapes.
The idli batter may help to ferment the batter in the case of venthaya idli as it has no black gram or any activating agent.
There is no substitute for pirandai as it has a different taste and medical value.

Mrs.Mano
25th January 2005, 08:41 PM
Hello nalabaagam!
The red chutney resembles and tastes a little like paruppu thuvaiyal and the taste will be different when you mix it with the butter.
Yes, I am the one who write in the arusuvai. Com.

Mrs.Mano
25th January 2005, 08:51 PM
Dear Suganthi!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on venthaya puli kuzhambu, green gram methi dosai, tomato dosai and raita.
I think you are mentioning about the pressure cooker method of cooking rice. In the pressure cooker method-for 1 cup of basmati rice, 2 ½ cups of water is needed. But it will vary according to the type of the rice. Sometimes it will need 2 or 2 ¼ cups of water. This will go nicely for the raw rice which we get in India. For basmati rice- I use the ‘vadiththal’ method only. Hope this will be helpful.
Here are a few recipes of Seppangkizhangu fry. [ Arvi fry].

SEPPANGKIZHANGU FRY-I [COLOCASIA FRY]:
]Ingredients:
seppangkizhangu- ½ kilo
Fennel powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Gram flour- a handful
Gram dal powder [pottukkadalai powder] - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Enough oil to fry
Procedure:
Wash and steam the vegetable for 20 minutes. Peel the skins and again wash. Slit each kizhangu horizontally into two pieces. Coat them with the thick paste of the flour, powders, and paste with a little water and enough salt. Let it stand in the paste for 30 minutes in a covered vessel and then deep fry them- a handful at a time- to a golden brown colour.

SEPPANGKIZHANGU FRY-II
Ingredients:
Seppangkizhangu- ½ kilo
Shredded coconut- a handful
Garlic flakes- 10
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Sambar onions-5
Fennel seed- 1tsp
Chilli powder- 1 ½ tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chopped tomato-2 cups
Chopped big onion- 1
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Salt to taste
Cooking oil- 4 tbsp
Procedure:
Wash and steam the vegetable for 20 minutes. Peel the skins and again wash. Cut them into round slices of ½ inch each. Grind the coconut with the sambar onions, ginger, garlic and the fennel seeds to a fine paste and apply this paste to the vegetable pieces with the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes. When the onion pieces become golden brown add the tomato pieces and fry them thoroughly until they are changed like a paste and the oil floats on the surface. Now add the masala-coated seppangkizhangu pieces and fry them on slow fire until they are well cooked. Add the chopped coriander leaves and the curry leaves and fry again for a few minutes.

Mrs.Mano
25th January 2005, 08:52 PM
Cindy!
There are so many types of vathal kuzhambu podi and each recipe has different ratio of the ingredients. You must test them to select a suitable recipe. In fact I am not keeping any ready made podi or powder in my kitchen. So I do not have any knowledge of the vathal podi varieties available in the market.

R
25th January 2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your answers, Mrs.Mano.

For gulab jamun, can I use the readily available kova from the shops? Will the taste be ok?

Take yr own time to reply me.

Bye.

pr
25th January 2005, 09:42 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thank u very much for explaining . I will try again and let u know the results ..
Take care

dgunderia
25th January 2005, 10:35 PM
Can I get the colldection too ... I hope it is in English...
gunderias@comcast.net
thanks in advance for the help..

foodlover
26th January 2005, 09:24 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano !
Thanks for the explanation.I made red kidney beans and potato fry.It was nice.But i felt the taste was that of the vegetables and beans added and the gravy as such had bland taste.whether its the way it should be or we should add any masala powder?can we add ginger and garlic paste?Kindly explain me.can u post some recipes of curries which can be taken along with chapathi?Thanks in advance.regards food lover

gvb
26th January 2005, 07:26 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thanks for ur quick reply..I will try the seppankizhangu fry over this weekend...Another thing Mrs.Mano..is there anyway we can get the grains separate by cooking in th pressure cooker?I have been trying to get it right for a long time ..Meantime i will try the 'vadithal' method too..

Warmly,
Suganthi

gvb
26th January 2005, 07:29 PM
Hi R,
Thanx for ur feedback..I wil; try it out and let u know..hope i get good results.. :)

Thanks.

Nirav
27th January 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi,

Can anyone send me the recipe collections of Mrs. Mano to my mail id:
nirmalapn@yahoo.com

Thanks
Nirmala

R
27th January 2005, 07:13 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Can u tell me which one is udaitha kadalai?

Thanks and Regards

ritz
28th January 2005, 12:45 AM
hi Mrs. Mano,
where can i find the recipe collection.
plz could u send me the collection to my mail id senritz@yahoo.com

im eagerly looking forward to it so that i culd try a few recipes too.

Thanks in advance.

pr
28th January 2005, 03:34 AM
Dear Mrs Mano !!!!!!!
The corn flour u have mentioned in the chilli gobi recipe is the white one right ? I,m confused as yellow ones are also sold in the market ..
Pls clarify me when u find time ..
Thanks and Regards

saji
28th January 2005, 04:55 AM
Yes, u should use white cornflour for the chilli gobi recipe. The yellow ones are used for Makki di Roti.

Thattai
28th January 2005, 04:35 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Just wanted to thank you for the fish fingers recipe that you had posted foll my request in early jan. I haven't been too regular on the hub since then and just saw ur post today...

Sounds delish and can't wait to try it!!

Nirav
29th January 2005, 08:09 AM
Hi Mano,

I had been requesting for your recipe collections for the third time now. Can you kindly send me the same to my mail id:
nirmalapn@yahoo.com

Thanks
Nirmala

Kalyani
29th January 2005, 07:18 PM
nirmalapn@yahoo.com
gunderias@comcast.net
rohitamma@yahoo.com
senritz@yahoo.com

Hi -I have sent mrs. mano's recipes to the above id.
Rgds
Kalyani

P.S. Hello to mrs. mano chechi and to the rest of the ppl who participate here.

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2005, 11:40 PM
Hello food lover!
To that gravy, you can experiment with any powders like coriander powder, chilli powder and also pastes like garlic and ginger pastes. I will post some recipes of curries after some time.

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2005, 11:41 PM
Hello Suganthi!
As I have said, I have not much experience in cooking basmati rice in the cooker. Any how you can experiment with a briyani method which is prepared by the pressure cooker. Add 1 ¼ cup of water to 1 cup of rice. After the first whistle, reduce the heat to slow fire and cook the rice for 5 minutes.

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2005, 11:42 PM
Hello Dgunderia, Nirmala and Ritz!
I have just sent my recipes collection for you all!

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2005, 11:42 PM
Hello R!
About the readymade kova-you can use it to make gulab jamoon. But it will not be fresh as the one we prepare in the home.
Some people mention as Udaiththa kadalai for broken groundnuts and some for pottukkadalai

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2005, 11:43 PM
Hello pr!
About yellow corn flour- what Saji says is correct.

R
30th January 2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the reply, Mrs.Mano.

Bye.

gvb
30th January 2005, 03:22 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
Can u tell me how to make rava upma without getting any lumps?Shud i add more water or keep in medium flame ?How much water do i need to add for a cup?My last two attempts were disastrous. Please help me ,Mrs.Mano..
Thanks for the advice on biryani rice..

Warmly,
Suganthi

Thattai
30th January 2005, 11:26 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

In the recipe for the above that you had given earlier, should we add cooked or uncooked chicken? Also, if adding uncooked, can we add it with the bone and then de-bone when done so that there is more flavour? Also, can I halve all the quanties given and get the same output (as there are only 2 of us at home)?

That's a lot of queries, but I would really appreciate ur feedback... Tx in advance...

Thattai
30th January 2005, 11:35 AM
Dear GVB,

WRT ur lumpy upma, if u are making with rava, then u can add 1 & 1/2 times the water. I also roast the rava before making.

The water should be boiling well when u add the rava (but reduce the flame to a sim, otherwise it will splatter). Add rava while stirring continuously, then cover and cook for 3-5 mins.

Then a trick that I learnt recently to get REALLY soft upma is to add enough boiling water on top of the cooked upma to cover the surface (1/4 - 1/2 cup water should do), DO NOT STIR IT. Then cover and cook on sim for couple of mins, until the water is absorbed. Then stir and serve soft upma piping hot!!! Hope this helps...

Nirav
30th January 2005, 10:35 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano and Ms. Kalyani,

I received the recipe collections of Mrs Mano.
Thanx a lot to both of you.

Regards
Nirmala

amba
31st January 2005, 05:18 AM
hi Mrs Mano

I have gone thru the various posts and am impressed by your interest in cooking and answering questions. Could you mail me a set of your recipe collection?

Thanks a million
amba

Thattai
31st January 2005, 10:02 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Just wanted to let you know that we tried ur mysore rasam for the 1st time yesterday (my husband made it) and it was awesome!! We especially liked the fact that it had no sweetness, as till now all the mysore rasams we have tried have some amt of sweetners added.

Just one thing, is it okay to also add some grated coconut to the finished product to get a 'flecky' effect? tx.

ritz
31st January 2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Kalyani and Mrs. Mano,

I recieved the recipe collections.
Thanks a lot to both of you. :P

Regards
ritz

ammu
31st January 2005, 07:49 PM
Hi Kalyani,
please send me the recipe collections of Mrs Mano.
My Id is ashu_9396@yahoo.com
Thanks
ammu

ammu
31st January 2005, 07:50 PM
My Id is ashu_9396@yahoo.com
ammu

gvb
31st January 2005, 10:10 PM
Hello Thattai,
When u say 1 1/2 times the water do u mean that for 1 cup?The last couple of times i tried to make upma in large quantities and it came out lumpy..I wud appreciate ur feedback on this.
Thanks.

pr
31st January 2005, 10:34 PM
Dear Mrs Mano and saji
Thank u very much for the clarification abt corn flour ..

pr
1st February 2005, 12:36 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried the gulab jamuns using baking powder only . This time there was a small ball inside the gulab jamun which dint cook well .and it was hard too . where did i go wrong ..
To add to ur notice the gulab jamuns in ur original recipe turned really gr8 and it was like the ones prepared in hotels .. Thank u very much

Thattai
1st February 2005, 10:53 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

In ur recipe for garlic sambhar (salem sambhar) at which stage should we add the tuvar dal? It is not mentioned in the recipe. Tx in advance...

Thattai
1st February 2005, 11:00 AM
Dear GVB,

The ratio i use of rava:water::1:1.5 ie 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of rava. The max qty i have made is with 2 cups rava and this works fine for me.
U may also need to adjust the water depending on the quality of rava (u may need more or less) that u will figure out by trial and error. My rava qlty is fine, so i need less water. coarser rava may require more water.
I hope that this helps u out.

Kalyani
1st February 2005, 11:31 AM
Hello Ammu, Pls check ur mail box i have sent mrs. Mano's recipes for you.
Rgds
Kalyani

amba
1st February 2005, 12:26 PM
hi Kalyani

can you please send me also a set of mrs.mano's recipes.
thanks
amba

ammu
1st February 2005, 08:35 PM
Dear Kalyani,
Thank you so much for the recipes of Mrs.Mano.
with regards
Devi

puuppys
1st February 2005, 11:20 PM
Hi KH,
I am new to the hub. Can you please send me the collection of recipes of mrs Mano at puuppys@hotmail.com. Thanks.
==========================

Hello saji and Madhavan,

I've Mrs. Mano's recipe collection with me, if u guys want i can send it to u. I have two collections, one will have only Mrs. Mano's recipes and other will have all the recipes posted by Mrs. Mano including recipes taken from cookery book etc. Just let me know which one u want!

[/quote]

Mrs.Mano
2nd February 2005, 12:57 AM
Hello Suganthi!

For 1 cup of rava, It is better to add 2 ½ cups of water. When the water starts to boil, reduce the flame to low and then sprinkle the rawa a handful at a time and then mix it well and again sprinkle the rava again and mix. This way there will be no lumps as the mixture is not simmering now. Then increase the flame a little and cook the upma to a solid mixture. When it reaches a semi-soild texture, pour 1sp or 2 sp oil and mix well. So the upma will not stick to the bottom and make it easy for you to complete the upma in good texture.

Mrs.Mano
2nd February 2005, 12:58 AM
Dear Thattai!

I couldn’t understand in which chicken recipe you have asked clarification. Please mention the name of the recipe.
Thanks a lot for the feedback on mysore rasam. You can add a little shredded coconut or a little coconut milk. But definitely this will change the taste of the rasam.
About the garlic sambar- Now only I have noticed that I have omitted the addition of the cooked dal. I regret for the mistake.
When the vegetables are cooked, pour the cooked dal. You should add enough salt when the evegtable are cooked and also add a little salt when you pour the cooked dal to the simmering mixture. When the sambar starts to simmer, reduce the heat and add the sambar powder and mix well. Let the sambar simmer for 5 minutes in slow fire. In any kind of samabr, this is the procedure in the finishing stage. The cooked dal should not be simmered again for a long time.

Mrs.Mano
2nd February 2005, 12:58 AM
Dear Pr!
You have not cooked the gulabjamoons in slow fire. That is why the inner portion is not cooked. If the fire is low, the balls will be cooked nicely. The mistake is not in baking powder.

pr
2nd February 2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks Mrs Mano .. i will try again till i reach perfection

gvb
2nd February 2005, 07:14 PM
Hello everybody,

cud somebody please send me the second part of Mrs.Mano's recipes?I think its the collection from cookery books..Thanks in advance..
My email id is gvsugan@hotmail.com

gvb
2nd February 2005, 07:20 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
Thank you for ur response..Meanwhile i tried ur tomato rice,oothapam,pudhina chutney..It was fantastic..Thank you once again..

Warmly,
Suganthi

gvb
2nd February 2005, 07:22 PM
Dear Thattai,
Thanks for replying so quickly..Will try out ur proportion Soon..

kuku
3rd February 2005, 12:09 AM
Mrs Mano,

Can you please tell me what I can do with rice that is very sticky when I cook it it is too sticky and As i oped the bag I cannot return it.

Kz
3rd February 2005, 01:23 AM
Hi Kuku,
Try cooking the rice by boiling and then draining the remaining water once the rice is cooked,( vadikarathu) in this method as the water is drained it wont be much sticky. u could also try adding just few drops of oil in the water so it is separate.
Kz

lavsensuba
3rd February 2005, 01:35 AM
Hello Mrs Mano,
I am new to Food forum, eventhough I have been a silent lurker, so far. I want to thank you far, Sora puttu (I made iot with cod and it was very nice), Chicken Khuzumbu 1, butter chicken etc.

Can you give me some good Mutton recipes.

Thanks

pr
3rd February 2005, 04:18 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried the gulab jamun again . This time the jamuns broke when put in oil . Actually u have mentioned bakin soda to be 1/4 spoon . is it teaspoon . ??why did the jamuns break . i perfectly followed ur instructions .. but regarding the baking powder measurement i,m not sure how much to add ..
I converted the tablespoon measurments to ounces for the milk powder and all purpose flour . As we try many times we shld reach perfection right ? . But the very first time it turned out excellent .
I will try again after ur instructions . sorry for bothering u again and again ..
Thanks and regards

Thattai
3rd February 2005, 12:34 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

In the recipe for the above that you had given earlier, should we add cooked or uncooked chicken? Also, if adding uncooked, can we add it with the bone and then de-bone when done so that there is more flavour? Also, can I halve all the quanties given and get the same output (as there are only 2 of us at home)?

That's a lot of queries, but I would really appreciate ur feedback... Tx in advance...

Mrs. Mano, this query was with regard to chicken rasam (which I had mentioned as the subject, that's why I wrote 'for the above').

Thanks for ur response to my other queries.

Meanwhile I also tried ur drumstick rasam and soya ball masala, both of which were much appreciated by my husband. Thanks for all the sharing that you do.

pr
4th February 2005, 03:08 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried ur vegetable kuruma , kidney beans potato dish . They turned excellent . The kuruma is so tasty and it goes well with poori , chappathi , idli and dosai .. My husband liked it very much ..
Thanks and Regards

foodlover
4th February 2005, 10:20 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
i made white kurma yesterday.it was very nice.My husband liked it very much.Thank u very much for the recipe.i have a doubt.To make idiyyappam i soaked raw rice and when i drained it it has some water left so i thought i couldn't dry grind it so i spread that on a baking sheet and turned the oven keeping it in the warm mode (170 F).the rice become dry but when i tried to dry grind it (i used a coffee grinder) it didn't become powder.there were granules.How can i drain water from the rice?Please clarify my doubt when u find time.Thanks in advance.

Kz
5th February 2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Foodlover,
After soaking the rice, spread them on 2 to 3 sheets of newspaper, the paper will absorb the moisture . if it is too wet, then change the paper again and then grind them in ur mixie, u'll get fine powder.don't keep in oven.
Kz

malligai
5th February 2005, 01:25 AM
hi everyone,,

how did i miss this thread sooo far??...i hope i can develop an interest in cooking :( atleast by visiting here...

if i was alone, then i would just live with bread, butter, juice etc.. :(

foodlover
5th February 2005, 03:04 AM
Hello Kz !
Thank u very much for the advice.will try that.regards foodlover.

malligai
5th February 2005, 04:42 AM
Mano & others,

//SEPPANGKIZHANGU FRY-I [COLOCASIA FRY]: //--i saw this recipe u posted...

can someone tell me if 'Sepangkizhangu' is the same as "Chennaikizhangu' or Yam (in english)?? :roll:

thanks in advance... :)

malligai
5th February 2005, 05:00 AM
Mrs Mano,

i am truly impressed to know that this thread has been here for a very loooong time... :)

but i think it will be great if u have a separate thread for ur recipes and a different one for the discussions and doubts...that will help lots of people (like me :D ) to just refer to the recipes anytime we want, without having to search for it among sooo many pages ......

Just a suggestion.... :) ..think seidhu paarunga...

R
5th February 2005, 04:59 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

How u r doing?

Have a couple of doubts-no. 1...For kanchipuram idly, you have mentioned to make idlis after 1 hr. of waiting time. Without fermentation or adding baking soda, will it come soft? Becoz, heard that for rice dal idly, poor fermentation is also one of the cause for hard idly. Can u explain me pls?

no.2....Can I make dosas from the above batter after a day or two or from kudalai idly?

I ground the batter for the above two, will let you know how the taste is.

Take care, bye.

R
5th February 2005, 05:02 PM
Sorry, forgot to ask..it says the steaming shd be done for 20 mts! Can u reconfirm me pls?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 03:11 PM
Hello R!
Kanchipuram Idly will not be soft as our usual idly. But it is a tasty dish. There are so many varieties in kanchipuram idli recipes. In this recipe, you must cook without fermentation. You can test it also after 3 or 4 hours of fermentation. As this batter is raw and not fermented, it needs more minutes to cook.
With kudalai idli batter-you can make dosas also.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 03:12 PM
Hello Suganthi!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on tomato rice, ooththappam, and pudhina chutney.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 03:15 PM
Hello kuku!
You can make sarkkarai pongal, paruppu pongal and some rice varieties with the sticky rice. You can also make idiyappam flour with it. You can use it when you grind for adai, idli and dosa.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 03:20 PM
Hello Suba’s mummy!
Welcome to the forumhub.
I am happy to know that yr experiments with sura puttu, chicken kuzhambu and butter chicken turned excellent for you. Thanks for the feedback.
I will soon post a few mutton recipes for you!

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 03:29 PM
Hello food lover!
What KZ had written is the correct answer for yr query. After having drained the rice in a colander, you must spread it on a cotton cloth or newspapers and dry the rice in a shady place.
Thank you very much for the feedback on white kuruma.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 03:51 PM
Dear Pr!
Only with the excessive addition of baking soda as well as butter, the gulab jamoon will break. Otherwise you will get nicely shaped-tasty gulab jamoons if you prepare according to the correct measurements I have given. One more thing- if you do not have plain flour, you can use self raising flour. I am not sure about all purpose flour.
And thanks a lot for the feedback on vegetable kurma, and kidney beans potato fry.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 04:02 PM
Hello Thattai!
In the chicken rasam recipe, you must add uncooked chicken chunks like chicken kheema so that you can eat them with the rasam also. If you add uncooked chicken pieces with some bones, then you must take them off when you serve the rasam. You can halve the quantities for the two of you. Taste wise, there will not be much difference like the mutton where the bones alone enhance and increase the flavour.
Thank you very much for the feedback on drumstick rasam and soya balls masala.

Mrs.Mano
6th February 2005, 04:18 PM
Hello Malligai!
Welcome to the Tamilnadu delicacies thread!
Seppangkizhangu and senaikkizhangu are different root vegetables.
About yr thoughts on opening a separate thread- thank you very much for yr nice opinion.
Few years back, I have opened this thread with the purpose of posting and learning Tamilnadu recipes. Gradually it has become a fine-popular thread where we could discuss our doubts on cookery, exchange our experience and post tasty recipes. Then so many people wanted to have the old recipes and as they couldn’t go to the old responses, I have started to work on my website. It is still under construction due to various commitments. So I even send the attachment of my previous recipes to those who need them. Thus this thread has changed into a very different cookery thread. If I open a new thread, I couldn’t work on two different threads. You can copy and paste every recipe in a document and could save them for yr use.

R
6th February 2005, 05:53 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Thanks once again for yr replies.

For making idiappam or kozhukattai, saw people making with rice flour or rice batter. Similarly, can u suggest me or is it possible to do athirasam?

Though I grind rice for a long time in mixie, it is not becoming fine nice flour!

Advise me whenever find time.

Lots of thanks in advance. Bye.

amba
7th February 2005, 12:19 AM
hi Mrs Mano

I recently came across your forum and find it very useful for its variety and tips. Could you please mail me the collection of your recipes so far. Thanks and regards.

amba

Uma Ferrell
7th February 2005, 11:02 PM
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now. I just obtained the user status so I can talk to you all.

Can any one please send me all of Mrs Mano's recepies; They really look good.

Thanks in advance.

khushi
8th February 2005, 10:45 PM
Please send me Mrs Mano recipes collection to me, my email address is susan0913@yahoo.com

-Thanks !!!

puuppys
9th February 2005, 03:37 AM
Please send me Mrs Mano recipes collection to me, my email address is puuppys@hotmail.com. Thanks.

vm
10th February 2005, 12:15 AM
can somebody send me Mr. Mano's part 1 and part 2 recipe collection to swami_99_nathan@yahoo.com

pr
10th February 2005, 09:36 AM
Dear Mrs Mano !!!!!!!!
I tried green gram methi dosai and the result was amazingly gr8 .. I got crispy , thin dosas . Its a different and tasty kine of dosai .. Thanks for sharing such a recipe ..
Regards

Thattai
10th February 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi VM, Khushi & Puuppys,

Have sent both the files to the ids u have mentioned. Please confirm that u have recd them.

puuppys
11th February 2005, 02:47 AM
Dear Tatthai,
Thanks for sending the recipe collection. Romba Nandri.

Pups

amba
11th February 2005, 09:42 AM
hi thattai

could you please mail me Mrs Mano's recipes- all that you have. I would be thankful. You can mail at seshsathya@yahoo.com

amba
11th February 2005, 09:43 AM
hi Thattai
Thanks in advance for the trouble.
amba

dsankaran
11th February 2005, 11:59 PM
Hi,

Has anyone tried the veggie version of Mrs. Mano's chicken and mutton recipes using tofu? If so, please let me know how to prepare the tofu prior to adding it to the recipe.

Thanks in advance

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2005, 12:28 AM
Hello R!
For making adhirasam, we have to prepare fresh rice flour. For that, soakraw rice of good quality in water for 2 hours, drain the water in a colander and then dry the rice on a white cloth in a shady place for 1 hour. Then dry grind the rice and sieve thrice. Then you can make adhirasam with this flour as per my instructions. For kozukkattai and idiyaappam, you have to prepare the rice flour like this and then steam it. I have clearly explained about it in my previous recipes.

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2005, 12:29 AM
Dear Pr!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on green gram methi dosai.

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2005, 12:29 AM
Hello Amba!
I have just sent the attachment of my previous recipes for you!

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2005, 12:32 AM
I am posting here a few keerai recipes:
KEERAI MASIYAL-1
Ingredients:
Keerai- 1 bunch [ chopped finely]
Garlic flakes- 8 [slightly crushed]
Sambar onions-6 [chopped finely]
Green chilli- 1
Salt to taste
Procedure:
Place the chopped keerai with the other ingredients in a kadai and close it with the lid. Cook the keerai in slow fire and the keerai will cook in the water which is in the keerai itself. When the keerai is cooked, mash it finely with a flat wooden spoon.
KEERAI PULI MASIYAL-I:
Ingredients:
Keerai- 1 bunch [chopped finely]
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Sambar onions- 8 [chopped finely]
Tomato- 1 [chopped finely]
Sambar powder- 1 tsp
Thick tamarind juice- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Gingelly oil- 2tsp
Salt to taste
Procedure:
Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the black gram and fry it for a few seconds. Then add the sambar onions and the tomato with the powders. Fry them until they are well mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Then add the keerai with the tamarind juice. Close the kadai with a lid and cook the keerai in slow fire until it is cooked.

ABCD
13th February 2005, 02:21 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

I just came across this great thread. Thank you very much for taking so much time to help us all. People like YOU doing such Selfless service truly make this world a BEAUTIFUL place to live for the rest of us. I will be sure to regularly read this thread and also ask questions. My sincere thanks to you.

Is puzungal arisi boiled rice or parboiled rice? Is Ponni boiled rice the same as Ponni puzungal arisi? I heard conflicting answers for these questions. Thanks in advance for your answers.

ABCD
13th February 2005, 02:24 AM
Hello Thattai,

I would greatly appreciate it if you would send the 2 files of recipe collections (Mrs. Mano's and also the other recipe file) to the email ID: chetha1@gmail.com Thanks.

Helen
13th February 2005, 12:12 PM
around a year back, in this forum, i had come across a sure shot rava idli recipe with a lot of ghee. all i remember is that the batter was very thick. i cant locate it now. can someone help? i think it was posted around the time wheat gulkhand recipe was posted.

also can i please have the recipes emailed to me at thomas.helen@gmail.com? thanks in advance.

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2005, 12:38 PM
Dear ABCD!
Welcome to the Tamilnadu delicacies thread!
Thanks a lot for yr appreciation. This kind of appreciation always inspires me to immerse in my work with more enthusiasm and dedication.

Par-boiled rice, boiled rice and puzhungal arisi in tamil are all the same.

Thattai
14th February 2005, 06:01 PM
Hi ABCD,

Have sent you the recipe files that you wanted.

ABCD
14th February 2005, 07:10 PM
Hello Thattai,

Thank you very much for sending the recipe files. I got them.

Hello Mrs. Mano,

I took a look at the recipes, they look great. I will incorporate them into my daily cooking. I am sure my entire family will start thanking you for these wonderful recipes.

My kids like to eat Paniyaram for an evening snack. To make tasty spicy Paniyaram, I use well fermented idli batter mixed with jeera, finely crushed black pepper powder and a mixture of finely cut ginger / red onion / spring onions / coriander leaves / green chillies. I use non-stick Paniyaram Pan. They come out really well.

I will greatly appreciate other recipes for spicy Paniyaram without coconut.

gvb
14th February 2005, 08:53 PM
Dear Thattai,
i wud appreciate if u cud send me the 2nd part of Mrs.mano's recipes..The one from other cookery books i think..I have been asking for this a long time..Thanks in advance..
My mail id is gvsugan@hotmail.com

gvb
14th February 2005, 09:01 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Iam having a great time trying out ur recipes..Just tried ur ribbon pakoda yesterday..It was awesome..Do u have recipes for omapodi and thenkuzhal?Thank u very much for ur delicious dishes Mrs.Mano..

Warmly,
Suganthi

pr
14th February 2005, 11:02 PM
Dear R
I tried making badam burfi . The sugar dint dissolve this time and i can recognise the crystals while eating it( problem faced by u earlier) . I have tried cahew burfi( Mrs manos ) so many times and i dint get this kine of problem . usually what i do is i mix the cashew paste and sugar and then cook it . This time i did the same ..but , sugar was not sufficient when i tasted when it was cooked half way and then added sugar . I added sugar in small quantities 3 or 4 times like this .. May be this cld be the reason for it .. not sure .. I just wanted to mention abt it becoz u had a query regarding this earlier .

pr
14th February 2005, 11:06 PM
Dear Mrs mano and friends
I have a doubt about garlic usage .. Adding garlic in pieces to curries or garlic paste .. which one is better for health .. Becoz adding garlic paste will enhance acidity .. ( this was told by a doctor) But in most of the curries we add ginger garlic paste which enhances the flavour and taste .. so which method to use ?? any ideas ?
Thanks and regards

pr
14th February 2005, 11:07 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Do u have any recipe for naan .. I tried some recipes , but dint succeed . If you have a tested recipe , could you pls share with us . Thank you very much ..

Thattai
15th February 2005, 09:43 AM
Dear GVB,

Have sent you a mail with the files...

R
15th February 2005, 06:55 PM
Hello pr,

How abt pounding or grating garlic and using in the cooking? I heard that pounding/grating will give you extra flavor in cooking. So, always prefer to pound garlic instead of grinding(my laziness) unless otherwise, it says to chop garlic into pieces. Similarly, to ginger too.

And abt burfis, thanks for mentioning. Long time back, when I made badham katli, I added little amt of milk while grinding badham and sugar. That time, did not find any sugar particles while tasting.

Helen
15th February 2005, 07:40 PM
Repeating my request ........ Can i please have the recipes emailed at thomas.helen@gmail.com?

Any help abt the rava idli recipe?

nirosha sen
15th February 2005, 08:48 PM
Could someone please explain who kozhu-kattai could be made???? I'd like the one with swee chick-peas gram filling please?
Thanks!

ammu
15th February 2005, 09:08 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I had two cast iron skillets which I haven't used it for long time,it is full of rust now..I need a suggestion from you whether can I use it or not? If I can ... what should I have to do?Please help me out...
thanks
Ammu

pr
16th February 2005, 01:25 AM
Dear R
Thanks abt mentioning abt Garlic

gvb
17th February 2005, 01:06 AM
Dear Thattai,
Thanks for the mail..I sure appreciate it..

nalabaagam
17th February 2005, 08:38 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

How are you?

Recently I tried the White Kurma from your recipes list. It was tasting too good - we had it with Chappathi as well as with Idli. Goes well with both. I'm thinking of make it little more watery and trying it with Idiyappam too. Just thought of letting you know :D

Ok, I also have a question. I need to make Gothsu that goes with Ven pongal (milagu pongal) for a gathering we have with our local tamil community here on Friday. I checked in your recipe list for any variations you might have listed and found you had 2 types:
Potato - Kathrikai gothsu
Tomato - Kathrikai gothsu

In my opinion I thought Tomato-Kathrikai would go well with Pongal than the other one. What do you think?
Also, I know people add boiled paasi paruppu (for thick consistency) to Gothsu. Will that be good?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,
Nalabaagam.

gkals
17th February 2005, 09:06 PM
Hello thatai

can u send the entire collection of Mrs mano to this id
gkals@rediffmail.com

thanks a lot
from kals

Mrs.Mano
18th February 2005, 12:29 AM
Hello Nalabaagam!
Both kosthu recipes are the best accopmpaniments for ven pongal. But potato-katharikkai kothsu is easy to make.

vinay
18th February 2005, 02:05 AM
Hi all, I apologize for stealing Mrs. Mano's forum to post my recipe. But I just could'nt resist after I read someone's post inquiring about Brussel sprouts! Wow..I thought I was the only one who liked brussel sprouts!!! Ok, Brussel sprouts, or 'kilai kos' as they are called are small cabbage-like vegetables. People from the hills must be familiar with this vegetable. Its green and its a great vegetable to cook with meat! So for all you meat lovers, here's a recipe for you! (Its my own recipe, drawn from my mom's more south-indian version)

Lamb Curry with Brussel Sprouts serves about 4-5

Ingredients:

Oil - 2 tbs
Large onions - 3-4 finely chopped
Tomato - 1 large chopped
Whole spices - 1 & 1/2 tbs
(cumin, fennel, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon..you can use ground spices- about 1 tsp if you dont like picking out whole spices. But whole spices seem to work best for me)
Curd - 1 cup beaten
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbs
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder (Dhania) - 4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1.5 - 2 tbs (I never use a spoon!)
Lamb or Goat meat (the stew-size is best. I prefer with bones) - 3 lbs
Brussel sprouts - 15 nos

Preparation Method

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Fry the whole spices until a light brown and add onions and ginger garlic paste. Fry over medium until onion turns transparent. Add chopped tomato and add turmeric, chilly, pepper and coriander powder and fry till tomato turns mushy and oil separates.
Wash the meat and add to the masala along with salt and stir it in so meat is entirely coated with masala. Add half-a-cup water and close lid and let cook on medium for about 5 minutes. Add the beaten curd to the curry and stir it in and let cook again for 15 mins, stirring at regular intervals until meat is cooked, the gravy thick and oil separates. Add the brussel sprouts, whole and stir them in so they are coated in gravy. Close lid and cook for 5 minutes.

Note: Add the brussel sprouts at the very last because they tend to cook very quick and lose their flavor if cooked to mush. They can either be halved or added whole, as they absorb the flavor. All other English vegetables like carrots, peas, potato, cauliflower, Brocoli and turnips work just fine too. Also, while adding the whole spices, an extra tsp of cumin (jeera) can be added, for those who like it. This curry is thick and is great with rotis and rice!

Thattai
18th February 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Kals and Helen,

The files have been mailed to you.

Helen
18th February 2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks a lot Thattai!

Mrs.Mano
18th February 2005, 10:51 PM
Hello Suganthi!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on ribbon pakoda!
Yes, I have the recipes for omappodi and thenkuzhal. If you want, I will post them.

Mrs.Mano
18th February 2005, 11:18 PM
Dear Pr!
About using the garlic either as paste or chopped pieces- it is good for health. It will not cause acidity. Consuming raw garlic only cause acidity. If you boil a cup of milk with 6 or 8 garlic flakes [medium flakes] and then consume the garlic milk continuously for a month, it will definitely reduce the cholesterol level. It is a good medicine also.
Here is the recipe for Naan. This is my friend’s recipe. You can try this. This will definitely yield a good result.
NAAN:
Ingredients:
Plain flour-1 ¼ cups, soda bi carbonate- 2 pinches, sugar- ¼ tsp, curds- 1 ½ tbsp, melted ghee- 2 tsp, milk- 2 tbp, enough lukewarm water, salt to taste,
Procedure:
Sieve the flour, soda bi carbonate and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour the ghee, curds, and sugar. Mix well with the fingers and then make soft dough using enough lukewarm water. Knead it till it becomes smooth. Cover it with a damp towel and then with a lid and place it in a warm place for 3 hours to rise. Knead the dough again. Make lime-sized balls. Roll each ball about to 5 inches in diameter. Brush one side of the naan slightly with water and put that side on a hot griddle to cook. Brush the upper side slightly with water. You can sprinkle calonji seeds on the top and press them with a flat spoon. When the underside is cooked, lift the naan with a tong and place it on direct heat slightly away from flame.

Mrs.Mano
18th February 2005, 11:31 PM
Hello Nirosha sen!

Here is the recipe for kozhukkattai with the sweet filling of chenna dal pooranam.
KOZUKKATTAI:
Place the prepared rice flour in a bowl.
Add a little [1 to 2 sp] oil and salt. Mix well. Add boiled water little by little to make soft dough. The dough must be flexible and soft. Take a small portion, roll into a small ball with the greased hands and flatten it thinly like a small chappathi with the help of the fingers.
Place any kinds of pooranam[ filling ] in it and close it firmly again with the fingers.
Prepare enough kozukkattais like this and steam them in greased idli moulds for 10 to 15 minutes.
KADALAIPARUPPU POORANAM:
Soak 1cup of bengal gram for 1 hour and drain it in a colander.
Then cook the Bengal gram and mash it finely.
Place 11/2 cups of mashed jaggery in a kadai and add a little water.
Make kambi paagu [syrup of single thread consistency] off it.
Add the mashed bengal gram and half coconut which is shredded finely.
Add 1sp cardamom powder and cook on a medium fire until the pooranam is thickened.
You can add green gram instead of bengal gram.

gv
19th February 2005, 01:01 AM
Can anyone send me mrs.manos recipes part 2 to gv_viswa@yahoo.com

Thanks in Advance

GV

dejavu
19th February 2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Vinay,
Wow!! That is quite an interesting recipe,can tell you have a good taste and i do appreciate your originality.
will try it and let you know. :)

gvb
19th February 2005, 10:22 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I wud appreciate if u cud post the recipes of omapodi and thenkuzhal for me.Thanx for ur time.

Regards,
Suganthi

R
19th February 2005, 11:29 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Can u suggest me a good side dish(preferably a dry one) for coconut rice, tamarind rice other than avial? There are some restrictions like shd not be any onion or garlic etc.

Expecting a reply from you.

Bye.

pr
20th February 2005, 03:43 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried Oththappam from ur recipe collection and it turned out like the ones we get in hotels . I dint know that a separate batter shld be used . Till now i have prepared oothappam using the regular idli batter only . Thank u very much for sharing this recipe ..
By the way , is this the way oothappam is prepared in hotels ???
Thanks and regards

Mrs.Mano
20th February 2005, 08:29 PM
Hello Pr!
Have you noticed my explanation about the garlic usage and the recipe for naan?

Mrs.Mano
20th February 2005, 08:36 PM
Hello R!
For coconut rice and tamarind rice, I usually prefer either potato chips or potato fry without too much of onions and spices. So you can go for potato fry fried in a simple masala.

sruthi
20th February 2005, 11:39 PM
I am new to this forum. Just now got to know about Mrs.Mano's excellent,tempting recipes. It has enhanced my 'recipes to do' list. Keep up the good work, Mrs.Mano. (tried sweet kozhukattai and it came very well :-) !! ).
Could anyone pls send Mrs.Mano's recipe collection to the following e-id. Thank you very much.
pujapran@gmail.com

Best regards,
Sruthi.

pr
21st February 2005, 03:36 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I dont know how i missed it .. Thanks for mentioning about garlic usage . I will try the recipe for naan and let u know the result . Thank you very much for posting the naan recipe ..
Thanks again

vinay
21st February 2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment Dejavu. First time I ever posted a recipe online and was kinda curious to see the response :) I hope you try it out and like it. If you do, then I could post a few more..I guess am better at non-vegetarian dishes than anything!
Mrs.Mano, I tried the egg-curry the way you'd suggested in one of your earlier posts and boy, did I like it!!
I am not sure, but am I the only male in this discussion? oh well, Iam a foodie and love good food and experimenting with new stuff, especially cuz I live alone and have to cook for myself, so might as well make it more interesting :)))

orange2005
24th February 2005, 03:32 AM
hi thattai

could you please mail me Mrs Mano's recipes- all that you have. I would be thankful. You can mail at vassudha@hotmail.com

truebluemoon
24th February 2005, 11:42 PM
Could someone please mail me both parts of Mrs. Mano's recipes. Thanks so much in advance

Email Id: truebluemoon27@yahoo.com

truebluemoon
25th February 2005, 09:55 AM
thanks again for sending me the recipes

suk
25th February 2005, 05:56 PM
Could someone please mail me both parts of Mrs. Mano's recipes. Thanks so much in advance ....
sraug@mail.com

gkals
25th February 2005, 07:32 PM
Hi pr,

You said that u tried the oththappam.Can u please tell me how many cups of rice u used.Because Mrs mano has given it in kilo so i just want to know how many cups it is.More over did u add any onions or other items to it?.Because we prepare it by adding onions and chillies.
waiting for ur reply

from
kals

orange2005
25th February 2005, 08:33 PM
Thanx a lot for the recipes .Sure to try some over the weekend.

pr
25th February 2005, 08:51 PM
gkals
Half kilo is 2 cups aprox . s i added onions .. Hope this helps u .

sruthi
27th February 2005, 10:42 AM
can somebody please send me Mr. Mano's part 1 and part 2 recipe collection to pujapran@gmail.com ?
Thanks in advance
Sruthi.

indu
27th February 2005, 01:00 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Why no postings/ recipes for some days ? Hope you are doing well?
Can you please explain , how to make crisp Paper Roast Dosai, like how you get in hotels in India ? Can it be made with regular dosa batter or should be ground in different proportion ?
Hope you can post when you are free.
Thanking in advance,
Indira.

Thattai
27th February 2005, 05:17 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried your Chettinad Chicken Biryani last weekend and it was fabulous. My husband had got us chetinad biryani fm the Karaikudi restaurant in Chennai the week before, but the general opinion was that your version was as tasty if not more than the one fm Karaikudi! It was a little less spicy, but this also suited us just fine. All in all, a winner. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!