PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Thattai
27th February 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi,

The recipe files have been mailed to the following ids:
gv_viswa@yahoo.com, pujapran@gmail.com, truebluemoon27@yahoo.com, sraug@mail.com

suk
27th February 2005, 05:27 PM
thanks for the recipes

truebluemoon
28th February 2005, 07:07 AM
Thank you thattai

Roshan
28th February 2005, 11:29 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I tried the "kadalai maavu burfi" and it came out very well :D Thanks :)

BTW, would you mind posting a recipe for 'paal govaa" and "gulab jaamoon". I have tried a couple recepis for gulaab jaamoon but they have not come out well.

saji
1st March 2005, 01:51 AM
Hi Roshan,

Mrs Mano has already posted these recipes.

PALGOVA [MICROWAVE]:
Add 1 tin condensed milk[450gms to 500gms], 9tbsp full cream milk powder, and 2tbsp fresh curd to a microwave bowl and mix with a spoon thoroughly. Microwave it in HIGH for 3 minutes at first. Then take the bowl out of the oven and mix well. Then again microwave it for 11/2 to 2 minutes in HIGH. Then if you need, you must microwave it for some more minutes. But do not forget to take it out and mix well after every minute.

GULAB JAMUN :
Heat I liter milk. When the milk starts to simmer, stir it continuously until it is thickened to a soft solid texture. Let it cool down. Beat 1sp ghee with 1/2sp of soda bi carbonate and 2sp of water well until they are frothy enough. Add this to the koya with 50g plain flour. Knead it to make soft dough. Do not give pressure to the hands while making balls and kneading. Then make small even balls and fry them in oil on slow fire to a golden brown colour. Put them in hot sugar syrup.

ALMOND MILK JAMOON:
Take 1/2 cup of paneer in a plate. Crush it with the fingers and then knead it for a few minutes. Then add 1/2 cup of sieved plain flour, 1/2 cup of fine almond powder with 1/4sp of soda bi carbonate to the paneer and mix well with the fingers and knead it to fine smooth dough. Keep it covered for an hour. In the meantime, make syrup as it is for gulab jamoon with 3 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water. Then make small balls out of the dough and deep fry them in oil. The fire must be low when frying the jamoons. Then add all the jamoons to the syrup and let it soak well before serving

forrecipe
1st March 2005, 08:02 AM
can somebody please send me Mr. Mano's part 1 and part 2 recipe collection to recipeid@hotmail.com
thank you
dimple

Mrs.Mano
1st March 2005, 11:48 AM
Dear Indra!
Thanks a lot for the enquiry. I am in Tamilnadu now for a short break. The internet connection to my laptop is not properly working. I will soon post the answer for yr query.

Mrs.Mano
1st March 2005, 11:52 AM
Dear Thattai!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on Chettinadu chicken briyani. In fact, you can try the other briyani recipe. You will get a tastiest briyani indeed!

Mrs.Mano
1st March 2005, 11:55 AM
Dear Roshan!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on 'kadalaimaavu burfi'. Saji has posted the recipes you have asked.
Dear Saaji!
Thank you very much for posting the recipes of gulab jamoon and palgova from my file.

luz
2nd March 2005, 04:11 AM
hi ,want mrs mano's recepies. please can anybody send her recepies to latha_rajendran@hotmail.com. thanking u

guhapriya
2nd March 2005, 05:56 AM
Can anyone send me the entire collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes.

cutecat67
2nd March 2005, 02:28 PM
This is great thread for food lovers.
Can anyone send me the entire collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes? My email address nishavally.palany@ing.com.my. Thanks in advance.

Roshan
2nd March 2005, 05:06 PM
saji,

Many thanks for the recipes. :D

gaya3usa
2nd March 2005, 08:05 PM
I have never tried cooking crab. Can you please tell me how to clean and make a traditional chettinad crab curry.

Chettinadu Crab Masala

Ingredients
4 lbs - Steamed snow crab
1 med size onion chopped
2 large tomatoes sliced
1 thumb size ginger chopped
6 pods of garlic chopped
1 ~ 2 sp red chilly powder
1/2 cup coconut
1 sp feenel seeds
5 sp cooking oil
few curry leaves
turmeric powder
salt to taste

Method:
1. Cut the crab, 2 inches long
2. In a large deep pan, add oil and then the fennel seeds
3. Add ginnger, garlic, onions and fry
4. Then add tomatoes and curry leaves.
5. In a mixie grind it to a paste.
6. Pour the paste to the same pan and bring it to boil
7. Add the crab and turmeric powder,chilly powder, salt and let it cook.
8. Grind the coconut to a fine paste and add to the crab.

:arrow: Chef tips : It is easy to cut the crab, when it is frozen

Happy Cooking !! :)

sruthi
2nd March 2005, 10:20 PM
Dear Thattai ,
Thank you very much for ur time. I appreciate it.
Sruthi.

guhapriya
2nd March 2005, 10:22 PM
Can anyone send me the entire collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes.. Please mail them to guhapriyas@gmail.com

sowmya81
3rd March 2005, 03:41 AM
Hi
can anybody send the recipe collections to sowmya81@yahoo.com?
thanks in advance
sowmya

cutecat67
3rd March 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for sending the recipe.

I was wondering if anyone here can suggest how to make sweet uppuma?

Thattai
3rd March 2005, 10:39 AM
Hi!

The recipe files have been mailed to nishavally.palany@ing.com.my, sowmya81@yahoo.com, recipeid@hotmail.com, latha_rajendran@hotmail.com & guhapriyas@gmail.com

And Sruthi, u're welcome, but please don't thank me for my time... I just send out the files, and it is my pleasure to spread mrs. mano's recipes to those who ask for them :D

Thattai
3rd March 2005, 10:41 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Hope that you have a good break. Tried your karivapillai kozhambu yesterday. It was very nice, and my husband also appreciated it a lot. Thanks!

cutecat67
3rd March 2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks Thattai!! and big thanks to Mrs Mano for the great recipe collections!!

forrecipe
3rd March 2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks Preeti and Saji for sending the recipe collection. Hearty thanks to Mrs mano for the recipes .
DD

Khasthu
3rd March 2005, 10:15 PM
Can anyone send me the collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes? My email address is khasthu@yahoo.com
Thanks

newhere
3rd March 2005, 11:03 PM
Could somebody please email Mrs.Mano's recipe collection to anusrilak@yahoo.co.in?

Thanks so much in advance.

luz
3rd March 2005, 11:31 PM
hi all ,thanks saji and preeti for sending mrs mano's recepie collection.thank u

guhapriya
4th March 2005, 03:49 AM
Hi

Can anyone send the recepie for bread halwa . And also the recipie for chalna or salna which is usually served for parrottas in South India. I really miss them here in US

Thattai
4th March 2005, 09:47 AM
Hi!

The recipe files have been mailed to anusrilak@yahoo.co.in & khasthu@yahoo.com.

lerin
4th March 2005, 04:26 PM
Can anyone send me the collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes? My email address is lerin80@yahoo.co.in
Thanks

amba
5th March 2005, 02:03 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano

I am away from my motherland temporarily and hence all my favourite recipes- which I like to follow by following step by step from book- are at home and not available to me. Thank God I found this site and you sent me your recipe collection.

To end the long story, I tried your naan recipe and it turned out really good. The family enjoyed it. Thank you.

Can you please send me your second set of recipes to ambu.vasu@gmail.com? Thanks and regards

amba

saji
5th March 2005, 08:22 AM
Guhapriya,

The recipe for salna was long back discussed in this forum.
I have posted the link here.

http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/18575.09.12.36.html

http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/24571.10.20.30.html

Hope this helps
Saji

Mrs.Mano
5th March 2005, 08:10 PM
Dear Thattai!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on kariveppilai kuzhambu. I am happy that yr family have enjoyed it.

Mrs.Mano
5th March 2005, 08:15 PM
Hello Amba!
I don’t have any second set of my recipes collection. One of the friends who usually visited this forum hub used to send my recipes in 2 sets to those who needed them. Now she is unable to visit this hub.
Thanks you very much for the feedback on Naan.

Mrs.Mano
5th March 2005, 08:38 PM
Here I am again posting two recipes on Keerai.

KEERAI PARUPPU KOOTTU:
INGREDIENTS:
Green gram- 150gms [cooked finely]
Keerai- 2 bunches [finely chopped]
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Onion – 2 [finely chopped]
Tomato- 2[finely chopped]
Chilli powder- ½ tsp
Fennel seeds- ½ tsp
Shredded coconut- a handful
Oil- 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Salt to taste
PROCEDURE:
Grind the coconut with the fennel seeds finely. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the black gram and fry them to a golden brown colour. Add the chopped onion and the tomato and cook them finely until they are well mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the chopped keerai with the turmeric powder and the chilli powder, mix well, close it with the lid and cook it on a slow fire. When the keerai is cooked add the cooked green gram and the ground paste. Cook for a few minutes until every thing is well blended.
KEERAI PULI MASIYAL:
INGREDIENTS:
Arai keerai- 2 bunches [chopped finely]
Tomato- ¼ cup [chopped finely]
Sambar onions- a handful [chopped finely]
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
PROCEDURE:

Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for half an hour and extract its thick juice. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the chopped onion and the tomatoes with the turmeric powder. Fry them on slow fire until they are well blended. Add the chopped keerai and close the kadai with a lid. Cook the keerai on slow fire. When it is cooked add the tamarind juice and cook it until the raw taste of tamarind is gone and the keerai is thickened.

Here I am again posting two recipes on Keerai.

KEERAI PARUPPU KOOTTU:
INGREDIENTS:
Green gram- 150gms [cooked finely]
Keerai- 2 bunches [finely chopped]
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Onion – 2 [finely chopped]
Tomato- 2[finely chopped]
Chilli powder- ½ tsp
Fennel seeds- ½ tsp
Shredded coconut- a handful
Oil- 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Salt to taste
PROCEDURE:
Grind the coconut with the fennel seeds finely. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the black gram and fry them to a golden brown colour. Add the chopped onion and the tomato and cook them finely until they are well mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the chopped keerai with the turmeric powder and the chilli powder, mix well, close it with the lid and cook it on a slow fire. When the keerai is cooked add the cooked green gram and the ground paste. Cook for a few minutes until every thing is well blended.
KEERAI PULI MASIYAL:
Arai keerai- 2 bunches [chopped finely]
Tomato- ¼ cup [chopped finely]
Sambar onions- a handful [chopped finely]
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
PROCEDURE:
Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for half an hour and extract its thick juice. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the chopped onion and the tomatoes with the turmeric powder. Fry them on slow fire until they are well blended. Add the chopped keerai and close the kadai with a lid. Cook the keerai on slow fire. When it is cooked add the tamarind juice and cook it until the raw taste of tamarind is gone and the keerai is thickened.

tomato
5th March 2005, 09:05 PM
Can someone tell me what is keerai in english/hindi/kannada?

tomato
5th March 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Can u send me ur recipe collection pls. I've seen it much discussed and requested. I too want to have a copy.
I had tried ur microwave carrot halwa and it was delicious.
Pls send the recipe collection to : freaky456@indiatimes.com

dev
6th March 2005, 07:25 AM
Hi Tomato,

Keerai is soppu in kannada & greens in english...

Shoba
7th March 2005, 10:00 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Can you suggest any recipes which uses cooked rice and curd? I have excess quantity of both and have already prepared mixed-riced varieties, and used the curds for koottu, aviyal, lassi and mor. I still have huge quantities left.

I have actually posted this query on a separate thread and also on H.T. Cookery Corner and now here as well. I'm desperate!!!

Thank you.

Shoba

dks0709
7th March 2005, 01:35 PM
Dear friends,

Can anyone pls send me all of Mrs.Mano's recipe collections. Pls send it to this e-mail address : dks0709@yahoo.com

Thank You.

Kz
7th March 2005, 11:04 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I was thinking of trying ur keerai puli masiyal, but u haven't mentioned abt the karam, can i add green chillies or red chilli or chilli powder to it? I usually do keerai poriyal and kootu, i am bored with that and tried ur keerai sambhar recipe and which was very nice and different. thankyou!
Kz

Inimai
8th March 2005, 01:15 AM
Dear mrs. mano,

I'm one of a silent reader of this thread. I like to try your recipes. I couldn't go to the begining of this thread to collect your recipes. Could you please send your recipe collection to my email address?
inimai@bizhat.com

Anybody who have mrs. mano's recipe collection please email me.
Thanks!

saji
8th March 2005, 01:16 AM
Hi Shobha,

Shreekhand is a sweet from Maharashtra. It is like a dip. U can use it with chapatthis or puris.

curd / yogurt 1 lt
sugar (as sweet as you like)
saffron(a few strands)
elaichi/cardamom seeds
pistas and almonds
a pinch of salt

1. Tie the yogurt in a muslin cloth for 3 to 4 hours(or longer till all the water has drained out) and hang it.
2. Powder the sugar and elaichi(seeds) together.
3. Mix sugar and a pinch of salt in the hung curd and beat it in the blender for a couple of minutes till a smooth finish.
Now add the slivered almonds and pistas. Garnish with a few saffron strands.

This can be stored in fridge for upto a week or so.

saji
8th March 2005, 01:36 AM
The recipes have been mailed to
freaky456@indiatimes.com, dks0709@yahoo.com, inimai@bizhat.com

Inimai
8th March 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi Saji,

Thanks for sending me the recipe collections!

virumbi
8th March 2005, 08:17 PM
hi

can anyone give cake recipe in microwave.thanx in advance

di
8th March 2005, 11:44 PM
hi Mrs Mano,
i tried you recipe for raw banana kootu...came out well ..but i do have a question- u have not mentioned when the cooked tuar dal has to be added....i assumed in the end and did that and let it boil a couple of more minutes and then added the tadka.
plz clarify.

gvb
9th March 2005, 10:20 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
How are you?..I have been trying a lot of ur recipes recently and as usual i got the best results..I just wanted to remind u about the omapodi and thenkuzhal recipes...Please do reply when u have the time.

Thanks,
Suganthi

R
10th March 2005, 03:27 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried coconut burfi in paruppu thengai mould and it came out very nicely.

Thanks thanks a lot for sharing such a soft and tasty burfi.

Bye.

kavithasenthil
10th March 2005, 04:00 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I have tried parupu urundai kuzhambu and microwave plagova. Came out good. Thanks for the recipe.

Hello R,
What is paruppu thengai mould?

R
10th March 2005, 04:36 AM
Hello Kavitha,

Paruppu thengai is just a word and dont know where it came from. The shape is just like a cone and it uses mainly for all the functions and during ritual ceremonies too.

Sweets like laddu, mysore pak, coconut burfi, or cashew/badham/peanut burfi are used to make in this mould. You have to prepare the sweet just like how u use to do and put it in this greased mould. After some time(when it is cold), you have to take it out of this and you will get a conical shape sweet.

Like I said earlier, for example, we are keeping so many sweets for marriage; this is also one of the sweets in those lists. The function will not be completed without this cone sweet.

Hope I am clear here.

Bye.

kavithasenthil
10th March 2005, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the reply R. I am happy that i know abt cone shaped sweet. I was unaware of that. Thks.

vijibalu_r
10th March 2005, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I read in the forums lot about Mrs Mano recipes. Are these recipes posted on a website. If not send me the recipe collection to vijibalu_r@yahoo.com .

Thanks,
V

Mrs.Mano
10th March 2005, 10:21 AM
Dear Shoba!
About using excessive curd-Saji has given a good idea. But the curd must be fresh for making that recipe. It should not have a sour taste. You can make hung curd like that and store it in a box and keep it in the freezer. When you make potato and chicken fry varieties, you can add 2 tbsp of this hung curd when you fry the onions initially. This will give a delicious taste.
About using excessive cooked rice- you can prepare killu vadagam. You must coarsely grind this rice with a little green chillies, asafetida powder and enough salt. Then you must add chopped sambar onions, chopped coriander and curry leaves with 2 or 3 spoons of cumin seeds. Mix thoroughly using your fingers. Make small balls and dry them on the heat of hot sun. You can fry these vadakams in hot oil whenever you need them.

Inimai
10th March 2005, 08:20 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I want to try your Ribbon pakkoda-I recipe. Can I use the readymade rice flour? 'coz, here in US, I can't get the rice flour as we do in India (soaking, drying and grinding the rice in the mill). Could u suggest me regarding this?

Also, I want to know to get a spicy ribbon pakoda, shall i increase just the chilli powder or do i need to add something else?

You have mentioned just rice flour. Is it raw rice or boiled rice?

Thanks!

guhapriya
10th March 2005, 09:15 PM
Hai

Here is a recipie for those who are bored having spinach the same usual way. Even kids who dont eat greens like it this way

Spinach chappathi
Wheat flour 2 cups, Spinach a bunch
Jeera powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1tsp
Salt to taste

Take wheat flour and add salt ,chopped spinach . jeera and garam masala powder .
Add minimum water and the knead the flour to make it soft.
And roll it out as usual chappattis .

Serve with any chutney or raitas.

Thanks

Guhapriya

anu2001
10th March 2005, 10:22 PM
I'm new to this forum. Even I have read a lot about Mrs. Mano's recipes. Can anyone please send them to my id - anuradhasethu2001@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot in advance

luz
11th March 2005, 12:33 AM
hi saji and preeti, i got mrs mano's recepies which u guys sent. but i'm unable to open the second set of recepies cos of virus. can u resend it. i hate to ask u guys to re send it ,and i'm sorry. thanku

gkals
11th March 2005, 04:13 AM
Hi inimai,

You can try to do with the ready made rice flour to.I also reside in US and i have tried out this recipe many times with readymade rice floue and it comes good.so start doing the recipe and enjoy

from
kals

Shoba
11th March 2005, 09:34 AM
Thank you so very much for all the suggestions. The vadakams took care of all the rice, thank God!

Warm Regards,
Shoba

honeydew
11th March 2005, 02:57 PM
dear mrs mano
i would like to buy microwave oven ,pls guide me what all the features i have to look into , and pls suggest me which brand would be best , will microwave will be good in baking cakes, grilling etc pls help ,thanks in advance

Thattai
11th March 2005, 06:02 PM
Hi Luz,

The file has been re-sent to you. Hope that you are able to open this one...

di
11th March 2005, 10:50 PM
hi Mrs Mano,
i tried you recipe for raw banana kootu...came out well ..but i do have a question- u have not mentioned when the cooked tuar dal has to be added....i assumed in the end and did that and let it boil a couple of more minutes and then added the tadka.
plz clarify.

luz
11th March 2005, 11:53 PM
hi preeti , thanku for resending the recepies. yes was able to open it this time. thanku once again.

sangii77
12th March 2005, 04:43 AM
Hi All,

Iam a big fan and silent spectator this forum and came across you guys...just fascinated with the posts..i love cooking and i love to read recipes and abt food. I would like to have the collection of Mrs.mano both veg and non-veg. Saw a few ppl asking for the same thing. i would appreciate it if you can send it to sangii_77@yahoo.com..iam not sure how these forums work..thats why iam giving my email id. Kindly correct me if i need to do anything else.

Thanks,
Sangeetha

sangii77
12th March 2005, 04:47 AM
the email is not clear....here it is again

sangii_77@yahoo.com

kavithasenthil
12th March 2005, 04:48 AM
Hello Sangeetha,

R u from Erode?(i mean native)

Helen
12th March 2005, 03:36 PM
Thattai,

Can u please re-send Mrs.Mano's recipes to helenthomasin@yahoo.co.in? I accidentaly deleted the mail u had sent earlier. Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Helen

pr
13th March 2005, 08:20 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Nice to see u in the pages of arusuvai.com . we have not seen you, but enjoyed ur recipes ..Your contributions to the field of cookery through forumhub is a blessing for all of us .
Thanks and Regards

tomato
13th March 2005, 09:42 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano,
I got a copy of ur Recipe collection from one of our dear hub friends. I'm overwhelmed, and do not no which one to try first.

But still I made a start and tried Gobi 65 and Gulab Jamun. Both turned out well.
This is the first time I'm making Gulab Jamun from scratch ( ie not from the MTR, Gits pack). And I'm so happy it tasted good. :D

Just A clarification : In ur gobi 65 recipe u say we noeed to soak the cauliflower florrettes in hot water for half an hour. what is the purpose of this? Should we treat cauliflower this way every time we cook it or is this only for gobi 65?

Thanx for sharing all ur lovely recipes with us. Will try them out one by one and post the feed back.

kavithasenthil
13th March 2005, 11:32 AM
Hello Tomato,
Soaking the cauliflower in hot water is to kill bugs.

sangii77
13th March 2005, 10:40 PM
Hi All,

especially the regulars like kavithaSenthil, luz, gkals, dev, thattai and others...saw u guys at the dhaba recipe pages too...Iam waiting in anticipation to read and try out Mrs.Mano's recipes...Kindly send me the collection to sangii_77@yahoo.com Hoping some one will respond.

Thanks,
Sangeetha.

jasonjason
13th March 2005, 11:58 PM
If someone is sending out that cookbook that is being mentioned from that lady, I would really enjoy a copy.

Email address: jason dot gogal at gmail dot com.

Thank you!

pr
14th March 2005, 02:23 AM
Dear Friends
Our Mrs Mano as a judge in cookery contest .. http://www.arusuvai.com/contest/nagai/ngt_photos.html

dev
14th March 2005, 07:37 AM
Hi Pr,

That was great...I've been wanting to see our cookery guru for a long time...Thanks for posting the link...:)

kavithasenthil
14th March 2005, 10:21 PM
Hello sangii,

I have sent the files u have asked just now. You haven't answered my query. I know a friend named sangeetha from erode. Thats y i asked you. no problem if it is personal.

sangii77
14th March 2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Kavitha,

I sent you a PM on friday evening ...iam from chennai...Born, brought up hard core chennaite...:) how abt you?

Sangeetha

sangii77
14th March 2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Bharagavi and Kavitha,

Thanks again for the recipe collection. Didnt realise that senthil muthusamy was you.

sreekulu
14th March 2005, 11:24 PM
Hi ,Iam also a newbie and fast becoming a fan of Mrs Mano's recipes.Can some one email me both the collections at

Thankyou

kavithasenthil
15th March 2005, 12:07 AM
senthil muthuswamy is not me sangeetha.He is my husband.
I use that id as a public one. I have different personal id. Just to avoid junks in my personal i use my hubbies id. And i am from erode. Currently in USA.

sangii77
15th March 2005, 12:45 AM
Hi SreeKulu,

I just forwarded you the recipe collection to sindhusree@yahoo.com .

Also can anyone tell me what mixie is best to buy between preethi chefpro, butterfly and premier.
How is the titling grinder different that the table top one...i mean is the steel drum removable in the table top model....or is like the normal grinders where u have to take th batter from the fixed steel drum.

Kavitha, u by anychance in kansas city, KS

p.s: If this needs to be posted on a new thread or somewhere else lemme know.

Sangeetha.

kavithasenthil
15th March 2005, 01:49 AM
No Sangeetha. I live in Wisconsin.

nalabaagam
15th March 2005, 05:06 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I need a favor...I want your advice on foods that will reduce body heat.
Due to excess heat I often end up with boils in face :(

I know that fruits like water melon is good for heat reduction. In food, adding vendhayam, seeragam in cooking would reduce heat. I do take all these.

I am interested in knowing any food recipes focusing on body heat reduction. Also foods or ingredients that should be avoided due to excess heat.

Appreciate your response,

Nalabaagam.

Inimai
15th March 2005, 05:34 AM
Hi gkals,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding ribbon pakoda.

Hemant Trived1
15th March 2005, 06:16 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
For a long time, I have seen your absence from the hub.
I hope everything is ok,
Your AUTHENTIC recipes are missed.
Hope to see you once again active in Forum.
Rgds
Hemant Trivedi

R
15th March 2005, 06:31 AM
How abt drinking plenty of water? Or applying sandol on the face(it might cause cold too). Coconut water, veg., like cucumber is also good.

I saw in a magazine saying methi seed water in an empty stomach during morning(soaking seed in water overnight and drinking the water) is really helping out to reduce the body heat.

Somewhere, I read that ragi cools yr body and advised that while feeding it to kids, you can add ghee to neutralize so that the kid will not catch cold. So, why dont you try ragi without adding ghee?

Back at home, my mother used to say that leftover rice's water(pazhayadhu) is good in reducing body heat; here, it is not possible!

Will let you know, if I come across anything useful..

honeydew
15th March 2005, 02:36 PM
hi,
pls send me mrs.mano recipe for me too , thanks in advance dewhoneycream27@yahoo.com.sg

Thattai
15th March 2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Tried your chicken biryani over the weekend and this version was also a BIG HIT!!! My hubby LOVED it... Tx for the recipes....

And I second the request for you to be present more often in this forum, if all else is fine at your end... we definitely miss your regular inputs...

nalabaagam
15th March 2005, 08:24 PM
Hello R,

Thanks for your suggestions...they are real useful ones.

Yeah...I know about cucumbers effect and I keep adding to my food in the form of salda, raita, etc.

I am going to try out vendhayam soaked in water, though I used to take vendhayam with curd whenever I get stomach ache (sootu vali).

Can you share some Ragi recipes to take them? Did you mean Ragi Kanju?

Regards,
Nalabaagam

sreekulu
15th March 2005, 08:44 PM
Hi sangeetha,Thankyou for forwarding me the recipes.Also Bhargavi raj thank you for sending the recipes.Yes the anticipation is great and now I can't wait to try it out.

Hi SreeKulu,

I just forwarded you the recipe collection to

Also can anyone tell me what mixie is best to buy between preethi chefpro, butterfly and premier.
How is the titling grinder different that the table top one...i mean is the steel drum removable in the table top model....or is like the normal grinders where u have to take th batter from the fixed steel drum.

Kavitha, u by anychance in kansas city, KS

p.s: If this needs to be posted on a new thread or somewhere else lemme know.

Sangeetha.

jasonjason
15th March 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi, could some kind soul please email Mrs. Mano's recipes to me at

jason.gogal @ gmail.com

Please note the spaces in the address. This is to avoid spam. To email me, simply remove the spaces around the @ symbol.

Thank you,

Jason

R
15th March 2005, 11:17 PM
No problem..Nongu is also an excellent fruit to take.

Yes, ragi kanji-the one we use to feed our kids.

And, recently my father too informed abt taking vendhayam water, particularly people those who late sit at night, shd take them regularly to reduce heat from the body.

Some people apply vendhayam paste before taking head bath since will reduce the heat of the head too.

sangii77
16th March 2005, 01:04 AM
Hi Jason,

I just forwarded you the recipe collection. Enjoy!!! They are really good.

Sangeetha.

Urmila
16th March 2005, 01:44 AM
Hi Nalabaagam,

A simple method to effectively reduce body heat is to apply 1/2 a tsp. of castor oil on the very top of your head and rub it in. Do the same for the soles of your feet, rubbing the oil vigorously. Do this at night just before going to bed, and you will feel a difference the next morning itself. If you don't have this oil {velakkennai in tamil}, you can also use gingelly oil {nallennai}.
Apart from this, you can include veggies with high water content, like ash-gourd {poosanikkai}, banana-stem {vazhaithandu}, snakegourd, kovakkai etc. Similarly fruits like kiwi, pineapple , plums and figs { anjeer in hindi, athipazham in tamil } are cooling. Even soya products other than soya milk, like soya flour, soya cheese{tofu}, soya chunks, soya beans and even urad dal, mung dal are cooling for the body.

Stomach ache due to body heat is concentrated just below and around the navel area. A drop of castor oil rubbed vigorously in the area , helps relieve the heat and pain.
You can try this simple vendhya kashayam also, which is excellent for reducing even severe body heat , esp. during the scorching Indian summers. Simply boil 2 tsp. methi seeds in 2 cups of water, till water reduces to 1 cup and the liquid gets pale yellow colour. Strain the seeds, cool the water a little bit, add a drop of ghee and little palm sugar {panamkalkandu in tamil}, or even ordinary sugar, to make the bitter taste bearable. Drink, rest for about 10mins. Even the most acute of tummy aches will disappear.

Hope this info. is useful,
Bye.

kavithasenthil
16th March 2005, 02:34 AM
Put few teaspoon of cumin seed in water(1 lt). Boil nicely till the color of water become pale yellow. Cool it and drink this water instead of plain water. This will reduce the body heat and also good for health.

Seeragam=Seer+Agam

Agam means body. Seer means good. So seeragam means keep body in good condition. I heard this from some sidha vaidhiyam show.

Also we our sefl use this seeraga water druing every summer in India.

svasu_ani
16th March 2005, 07:18 AM
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am not that great at cooking, jus started after marriage.. So I would like to have a copy of Mrs.Manos recipes sent to me at svasu_ani@yahoo.com

Thanks

RK
16th March 2005, 10:20 AM
Hi.. Thattai.. can you please forward to me the bryiani recipe and other recipes to my e-mail : zorrokc@yahoo.com
Thanks............

Thattai
16th March 2005, 10:25 AM
Hi!

The recipe files have been sent to helenthomasin@yahoo.co.in, dewhoneycream27@yahoo.com.sg & svasu_ani@yahoo.com.

Helen, sorry for the delay. It may be a good idea to save the files in your hard disc to prevent accidental deletion...

Rg,

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:12 PM
Dear Inimai!
I regret for my delayed reply.
You can use raw rice flour, which we can buy from any grocery shop for making the snack ribbon pakoda. There is no need to soak and grind the rice to use in this recipe. There are so many varieties in RIBBON PAKODA recipes. You can increase a little bit chilli powder. For a Change you can grind green chillies with a little ginger instead of chilli powder. Even you can grind red chillies with a few garlic pearls and add this paste to the flour.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:22 PM
Dear Honeydew!
Nowadays every brand of microwave oven has so many facilities like baking, grilling etc. You must go for a famous brand with a couple of years of guarantee. I am using the Whirlpool microwave oven and it is really good. I do not know which brand is good and famous in US. Here I have attached a good link for microwave cooking. Please go through it thoroughly before buying yr m.oven.
http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:23 PM
Dear Di!
I am happy that yr experiment on raw banana koottu turned very well for you. It is correct that you have added the cooked tuar dal in the end and allowed it to cook for few minutes.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:24 PM
Dear Pr!
Thanks you very much for the compliments.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:25 PM
Hello Tomato!
Thanks for the feedback on gulab jamoon and gobi 65.
There will be hidden worms inside the florets of cauliflower. If we soak the florets in hot water, which is mixed with 1 or 2 tbsp of table salt for half an hour, then all the worms will be dead.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:26 PM
Dear Nalabagam!
I will post a detailed explanation soon for yr query.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:28 PM
Dear Mr.Hemant Trivedi!

I felt really happy that you are active again in yr ‘Hemant’s cookery corner’. I have seen yr postings just now and really felt happy about it.
And thank you very much for yr concern. I am in Thanjavur now for a short break. Unfortunately I couldn’t connect my laptop to the Internet due to some technical faults. Now I am trying to connect through my mobile phone. Hope It will be successful. This is the reason for not contributing anything recently in the forumhub.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:31 PM
Dear Thattai!
I am happy that you have cooked a delicious chicken briyani again!
And thanks a lot for yr concern.
Really I feel like handicapped for my inability in posting and contributing my recipes in my thread, ‘Tamilnadu delicacies’. I have written above the reason for it to Mr.Hemant Trivedi. Hope I will be active again soon!

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2005, 06:31 PM
Dear Suganthi!
I really regret for my inability in posting the recipes you have asked. I will post them soon.

nalabaagam
16th March 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi Kavitha,

Thanks for the suggestion to take seeragam water. I have know about this water which is very common in Keralite families. Some of mallu friends during school time fill-up their water cans with this yellow water and I have tasted it too.

I never knew it is good for reducing heat, I always thought it's their tradition to drink seeraga water. I'll definitely try this one, being a very easy to make!

Regards,
Nalabaagam

R
16th March 2005, 08:14 PM
Are you living in USA? If so, the reason of the heat could be becoz of the heater too which we are using. Have you thought abt it?

nalabaagam
16th March 2005, 08:15 PM
Hi Urmila,

That's a detail reply with wonderful suggestions. Thanks for taking this much time.

I'll try castor oil or gingelly oil external treatment. I have known about this gingelly oil treatment around the naval for sootu vali, but always thought it works out with kids.

The other food items you mentioned, most of those vegs I get here in the U.S. and should not be a problem to have them.

Just out of curiosity, is pineapple good for heat reduction? I always thought it generates more heat like the mangoes :?

Vendhaya kashayam is a bit hard for me to try - but I think I need to make up my mind to achieve heat reduction.

Thanks again,
Nalabaagam

nalabaagam
16th March 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi R,

Yes, I live in the U.S. and you are right, I have the heater on most portions of the day :(

It's difficult to live without heater during this winter time in the U.S. Though spring is to start, still the temperature drops badly.
Hoping to have bright and sunny days soon :)

R
16th March 2005, 08:27 PM
In that case, you have to reduce the heater to 69 and put on sweaters and socks. Becoz of that heat, me and my kids use to get dry cough frequently; not only that, that heat makes yr skin dry and will get skin allergy etc.

The simplest way is to reduce the heat as I told you and drink plenty of water and keep humidifier on 24 hrs.

Inimai
16th March 2005, 09:52 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for your suggestion! I thought my query will be hidden with these so many posts, but you have responded. Thank you once again. I will post my feedback once I get the achu.

Thanks!

kavithasenthil
17th March 2005, 02:25 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

It is nice seeing you in arusuvai.com

Hope u have good time in India. Tried ur palgova,puttu,parupu urundai kuzhambu. All came good. Thks.

umasas2002
17th March 2005, 02:37 AM
Hi,
I have joined in the forumhub newly. Can anyone please send the Mrs.Mano's recipe collection to
umasas2002@yahoo.com
I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Raathi
17th March 2005, 04:37 AM
Hi Nalabaagam,
To cool our body we should frequently take headbath for atleast 3 to 4 times per week in warm water (should avoid hot water)with
1tsp coconut oil(because Due to the heater-usage in US the hair always dries up).After that completely dry your hair naturally(avoid using fan & hair dryer).
If you are following whole grain diet(which is very good for health) but most of the time will cause internal dryness and that will appear in skin,in the form of dry skin & small koppulam(in Tamil).To avoid that we should always consume whole grains with little bit of ghee.

My mom always says the grain Ragi(finger millet) will produce excessive heat in our body.That's why in olden days before consuming ragi kali they always put them in buttermilk for whole night.Also when making ragi dosa we must add equal parts of rice to it.ragi puttu should always eaten either with coconut milk or with milk.Another way is when preparing the puttu you can add boiled split green gram or eating puttu with ghee also good.people who have constipation should avoid ragi.Wheat is also give heat to the body.
So to balance that when you make chapati add ghee or grated radish to the dough or make side dish with split green gram.
recently i read an article in a magazine given by a famous AYURVEDIC DOCTER name MR.Raveendaran(MR.vajpayee,when he was a prime minister went to his hospital in kerala and treated by him for his knee problem).In that he said people should totally avoid consuming curd in their diet.In olden days people in india never consume curd instead, they only eat butter milk.
eating curd not only produce excessive heat in our body but also induce hormonal imbalance and also cause numerous health problems.He also said the buttermilk is not the one we are making most of our home nowadays(addind water to curd)and it is more harmful than curd!
First entierly separating the butter from the curd(by using a wooden maththu or mixie) and then addind plenty of water is the way to make real butter milk which is very very good for health!

Also about making thayir saadam one should always first cook the rice in milk(i think we can add water to the milk) and after cooling, can add spoon of curd and leave it for over night(around 7 to 8 hours) and eating this will cool the body very nicely!.This is the real one and in olden days this way only people make thayir saadham in our country!!!!
eating MILK,BUTTER MILK and GHEE will cool the body and curd & butter will give heat to the body.

by the way if you are using woolen blankets or using slippers in home can avoid that for couple of days and you may see good results.
also exercising regularly(which is realy hard to do) will eliminate exessive body heat.Hope this will help you!

Ilavenil
17th March 2005, 04:54 AM
I was really impressed to see the number of people appreciating Mrs. Mano's recipe. I will be very thankful if someone can send me a copy to img_1103@yahoo.com. Thank you so much in advance.

honeydew
17th March 2005, 08:44 AM
i tried your potato fry recipe it came out very well.thanks

gvb
17th March 2005, 09:16 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Please take all the time u need.Enjoy ur stay at Thanjavur.Meanwhile i have tried all of ur kozhambu varieties and needless to say my husband is a very happy n satisfied person nowadays:).Hope to hear from u soon,Mrs.Mano.

Warmly,
Suganthi

honeydew
17th March 2005, 09:25 AM
thanks for the reply on microwave, i saw the site it was really very good , i will send the features of the microwave which i intend to to buy pls let me know ur comments

Sharp brand
double grill/convention microwave oven
* high power top and bottom grill heating system
* top and bottom heater with convection fan
* 27 - litre large oven capacity
*pizza cook and crispy snack keys
*7 sensor cook menu keys
*9 auto menu keys
*preheat func
*stainless steel interior

i expect all of ur suggestions thanks in advance

regds
honey

nalabaagam
17th March 2005, 08:35 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

Hope you are having a nice time in Thanjavur. Please take your time to revert once your back and settled with your daily routines.

Meanwhile, I wanted to post another query on godhumai rava recipes.
I have heard that godhumai rava is very good for health. I have also tasted godhumai rava pongal/upma (not sure) in one of my friend's place long time ago. Thought of checking with you on godhumai rava recipes that are easy to make and healthy to have.

Regards,
Nalabaagam

nalabaagam
17th March 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Rathi,

That was an awesome reply on body heat reduction tips. Thanks for taking the time to put them down.

I have always been having curd in my daily lunch and wondering why still so much body heat??? :? Now I understand, it is better to have it in the form of buttermilk. Let me start having and note the difference.

Regards,
Nalabaagam

umasas2002
17th March 2005, 09:33 PM
can any kind heart send me the collection of Mrs. Mano's recipes to umasas2002@yahoo.com

I am eagerly waiting !! Thanks in advance.

R
17th March 2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Nalabaagam,

Certainly, godhumai rava is good for health and easily digestible, as far as I know. I saw many people feeding godhumai rava upma to kids too! My mother makes the upma just like we do rava upma w/w.o vegetables.

Apart from the above, one more recipe for you-

godhumai rava poriyal

godhumai rava 1 cup
mixed vegetables like carrot, beans, capsicum(take half of the capsicum) 1 cup together
salt, oil

Soak rava in water for some time. Drain them completely.

In a vanali, add 5 cups of water, salt and let it boil. Once it is boiled well, add the rava and the mixed vegetables. When they are three fourth cooked, switch off and drain the water.

Seasoning portion

ginger 2 tsps
onion 1
tomato 1/2
green chillies 1 or 2
salt, oil

Cut ginger, onion, green chillies,capsicum, tomato into fine pieces.

Heat oil, add ginger, chillies, onion, capsicum, tomato stir well. Add salt and mix well; add godhumai rava with vegetable mixture. Mix well and cook for some time.

Poriyal is ready to serve.

Recently, saw one recipe in SUN TV called godhumai rava usili. Will post it under SUN TV recipes collection thread. If you want, pls check it out.

Bye.

gkus
17th March 2005, 10:31 PM
Hai Hubbers!!

I am new to this site. I saw the postings and I want Mrs.Mano's recipes. Can anybody send me the recipes to my email address. gayathrikartik@yahoo.com

Thanks.

gvb
18th March 2005, 12:00 AM
could anyone tell me the appetizers that goes well with south indian food?I have a few people coming over for lunch this sunday ..any thoughts?

Thanks,
GVB

Raathi
18th March 2005, 02:54 AM
you are very welcome Nalabaagam!

Raathi
18th March 2005, 03:11 AM
Hi R,
I also saw the gothumai usili recipe and tried got good results!Initially i don't like upma varieties thatmuch,but this one tasted really good!
By posting SUN TV recipies (on the other thread )you are doing a great job!!!

R
18th March 2005, 04:02 AM
That is so nice of you, Raathi. I am yet to try that recipe. Even with idly(idly pieces) you can try that kind of usili which I saw in a magazine a long time back.

umasas2002
18th March 2005, 04:06 AM
Hi, I am a new bee. can anyone pls send me the collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes to umasas2002@yahoo.com

I am very eagerly waiting. Thanks

tomato
18th March 2005, 08:22 AM
could anyone tell me the appetizers that goes well with south indian food?I have a few people coming over for lunch this sunday ..any thoughts?
Thanks,
GVB

Hi,
Any vegetable pakoda/fritters can take the place of an appetizer. ex. cauliflower/eggplant/raw banana/onion pakodas go well with any indian meal south indian/north indian.

If u have enough time u can make potato bonda or samosa.

If u r short of time u can make 1 or 2 sweets and 1 or 2 fried snacks of murruku variety in advance ie couple of days ahead of the dinner party.

R
18th March 2005, 07:47 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano or anyone,

Pls suggest me on cooking rice in microwave. Use to follow sensing method incl. soaking and adding 3 1/2 cups of water for sona masoori rice, but, still, it is not coming soft (as kids eat)just like we do in cooker.

We are going on a long trip, so, need to try at home for my 2 yrs old daughter as an experiment.

If I want to cook moong dal also with the rice, what is the time limit?

Quite urgent..so, respond ASAP.

Thanks to you all in advance.

di
18th March 2005, 11:50 PM
hi R,
i cook rice in microwave the following way:
1 cup rice(ponni) + 2 cups water(can add little more to get more soft rice)- cook for 15 minutes uncovered. let stand in the microwave for 2 minutes more. Rice is ready !
abt adding mooong dal i don't know as i have not tried that.

R
19th March 2005, 01:51 AM
Hi di,

Thanks di for yr suggestion.

But, I tried with 3 cups of water too and it is soft for adults; for 2 yr old kid, that softness is not sufficient. After 3 to 4 hrs., the rice grain is loosing its softness!

apujittu
19th March 2005, 02:02 AM
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I saw the postings, i got interested in Mrs Mano's recipes. Can anybody tell me how i can get it.
thank you

umasas2002
19th March 2005, 03:29 AM
Hi R,

To avoid the rice becoming separate granules after few hours, as soon as you cook the rice, (while it is still steaming hot), you just take a small amount of rice for your baby and crush it nicely with a karanadi(or big spoon). Just before giving to your baby you can just mix it with very little water(1/4 cup or less) and heat it in microwave. This should definitely make it soft enough for your baby.

This is what I do for keeping the Rice soft for my 18 months old baby.

Hope this helps.

R
19th March 2005, 03:33 AM
That sounds a better idea..But, this is for carrying purpose..still, can try yr idea of adding hot water while feeding though cant reheat.

Thanks..

umasas2002
19th March 2005, 03:55 AM
Though you can't reheat while travelling, if you had crushed the rice well (while it was hot), definitely it should be ok for your baby, if you just add few spoons of water to the crushed rice, just before feeding him/her.

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2005, 06:26 PM
Hello Kavitha Senthil!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on palgova, puttu, and urundai kuzhambu.

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2005, 06:28 PM
Dear Honey dew!
Thank you very much for the feedback on potato fry.
I had already heard that Sharp is a good brand. Its features seem very interesting. You can buy this.

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2005, 06:29 PM
Dear Nalabagam!
With Gothumai rawa, you can prepare varieties of uppuma, sambar sadham and idli. You can also prepare prathaman[payasam] with this. I have already posted a recipe of sambhar sadham. In place of rice, you can add this rawa and prepare as the recipe says. It will be very delicious.

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2005, 06:55 PM
I am posing here again a few vegetarian recipes.
SENAIKIZHANGU ROAST [YAM ROAST]:
Ingredients:
Yam-1/2 kilo
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Onion [finely chopped]- 1 cup
Tomato- 1 cup
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Fennel powder- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves- ½ cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 5 tbsp
Method:
Cut the yam into small pieces and boil them in enough water until they are cooked. Drain the water. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes until they become golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry the vegetables until they are mashed well and the oil floats on top. Now add the yam pieces with the chilli powder, fennel powder and enough salt. Fry the yam pieces until they are cooked and roasted well.
KARUNAIKIZHANGU MASIYAL:
Ingredients:
Karunaikizhangu- ¼ kilo
Tamarind- a small lime sized
Sambar onions[finely chopped]- 1 cup
Chopped green chillies- 2 tbsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves-a handful
Oil- 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Method:
Soak the tamarind in a cup of water and extract its juice. Boil the vegetable in enough water until they are cooked. When cooled, remove the outer skins and mash them finely. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the black gram with the curry leaves. Fry them for a few seconds and add the chopped sambar onions. Fry them to a golden brown colour. Now add the mashed karunaikizhangu with the tamarind extract, turmeric powder and enough salt. Cook it until it is thickened.

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2005, 07:19 PM
Dear Suganthi!
I felt happy to know that yr husband enjoyed all the kuzhambu varieties very much. Hats off to you for becoming such a successful cook!
Here are the recipes you have requested.
OMAPPODI:
Ingredients:
Gram flour- 2 cups
Raw rice flour- 1 cup
Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp
Ghee or dalda- 1 tbsp
Chilli powder- ¼ tsp
Enough salt
Enough oil to fry
Method:
In a bowl, mix the flours with the salt. Add the ghee and the powder. Add water gradually to the flours to make smooth dough. Pour the oil in a kadai and heat it. Put a handful of dough in a murukku ural with the omappodi achu fixed with it, and press the dough in hot oil. Thus finish all the dough.
THENKUZHAL:
Ingredients:
Raw rice – 4 cups
Black gram- 1 cup
Butter-2 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Asafetida powder- 1 tsp
Salt o taste
Enough oil to fry.
Method:
Soak the rice in enough water for 2 hours. Then drain the water and dry the rice on a white cloth. When it is dried, powder the rice finely. Then sieve it twice. In a pan, roast the black gram to a golden brown colour. When cooled, powder it. Sieve this powder also. Combine these powders in a bowl. Add the butter, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, and enough salt. Make smooth dough by adding enough water. Pour the oil in a kadai and heat it. Put a handful of the dough in a murukku ural with the murukku achu fixed with it and press the dough in hot oil. The fire must not be high. Thus finish all the dough.

sangii77
19th March 2005, 09:27 PM
Hi Appujittu,

the recipes are forwarded to individuals by the hubbers. If you can post your mail id by the weekend i can forward them to you. Or send ur mail id to sangii_77@yahoo.com.

Also the recipes have been forwarded to umasas2002@yahoo.com,gayathrikartik@yahoo.com,img_ 1103@yahoo.com.

-Sangeetha

gkus
19th March 2005, 11:50 PM
Hai Sangeetha!

Thanks. I received ur mail. Nice of u for sending the recipes.

Bye
gkus

indu
20th March 2005, 01:39 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
It is very nice to see you active in your thread once again. Are you back from T.Nadu ?
Just wanted to remind you of my previous query on making crisp Paper Roast Dosai, like in hotels. Do post a nice recipe for this, whenever you find time.
Thanks and bye.

sangii77
20th March 2005, 04:45 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

The thenkuzal recipe u have posted here is exactly what my mom makes at home, however my husband is from andhra and he says that even murukku's/chaklam's/thenkuzhal have kaaram/heat in them, i tried once adding chilli powder but the heat didnt come out very well in the end product.do u happen to know a way around this...

Thanks,
Sangeetha.

rajshank
20th March 2005, 07:17 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Can u please give me the recipe for Adirasam & Soan Papdi, my husband loves sweets. I am newly married and am really excited abt trying out new recipies. Tried some easy ones earlier, and since they came out well, now i want to try some difficult ones too.

And can some pease send me Mrs. Mano's recipies to my email id srajlakshmi@hotmail.com

Thanx :)

gvb
21st March 2005, 07:27 AM
Hi tomato,
Thanks for replying back..i went with aloo bonda and medhu vadai...I guess i had a lot of time on my hands:)

Regards,
GVB

asha
21st March 2005, 12:27 PM
Can someone please post Mrs Mano's reicipies to asha.ruban@health.wa.gov.au

Looking forward to receive them.

Thanks

apujittu
21st March 2005, 08:15 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
I am new to the forum. I was in Sharjah 3 years back ! Now I am in US. I just saw your THENKUZHAL: recipes. I wanted to know if i can substitute rice & urad flour bought from Indian store ,slightly fry them & use them for the recipe. Will that work. Please do reply. Thank you.
Apujittu

pr
22nd March 2005, 04:26 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I have a small doubt in preparing cutlet . Your recipe for chicken cutlet says to dip it in beaten eggs and roll in fine bread crumbs . I found recipe from other site for the same which says to dip the cutlet in maida batter and then roll in bread crumbs . Will there be any significant difference in the tase and texture between the 2 methods . .I would be happy if you throw some light on this whenever you find time .
Hope you are having a nice time in Thanjavur .
Thanks and regards

ziaxxxxx
23rd March 2005, 03:56 AM
can anyone pls send all the collections of Mrs Mano's recipes to this email id ..... zbqud@hotmail.com ???

thanxxxxxx

sudhakarthik
23rd March 2005, 07:27 AM
hi,

can u please send me the recipe collections - both the volumes of Mrs Mano to krishsudha_karthik@yahoo.com

thanks

sudhakarthik

RK
23rd March 2005, 08:30 AM
Can somebody please forward to me Mrs. Mano's recipe collection..
shuba@tilogics.com

gvb
23rd March 2005, 10:04 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanks for ur recipes on omapodi and thenkuzhal..Even i wud like to know if thenkuzhal can be prepared with ready made flour and wud there be any significant difference in taste?..Today i made poritha kuzhambu(chettinad style) and my husband who is usually not fond of it helped himself to seconds and thirds..Thanks to u am becoming a better cook..:)

Regards,
Suganthi

ziaxxxxx
24th March 2005, 12:55 AM
hey...recd the recipes..thankyou soo much

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2005, 10:06 AM
Dear Indu!
I will depart from Tamilnadu after 20th April.
About Paper roast, you have to mix a little gram flour and plain flour to the dosa batter and spread the batter very thinly on the dosa plate.

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2005, 10:12 AM
Hello Sangeetha!
In this type of murukku, no kaaram[chilli powder] is added. Usually chillies are not added in murukku varieties. I will check with my recipes file. If I find any murukku recipe with chillies, I will post it for you soon!

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2005, 10:20 AM
Hello RAJSHANK!
I have already posted the ADHIRASAM Recipe. I am yet to find a nice recipe for Soan papdi. If I fine one, I will post it for you! Adhirasam is a little bit difficult to do. Trying difficult recipes is always a challenge. I wish you nice and successful results.

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2005, 10:26 AM
Dear Apujittu!
Welcome to Tamilnadu delicacies thread!
If you roast the readymade flours, you will not get good results as you could get with the home-made flours.

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2005, 10:36 AM
Dear PR!
There are so many coatings for the cutlets. Vegetarians prefer for the maida batter. Even you can mix a little corn flour with the maida batter. You can even mix a very small quantity of chilli powder or chilli sauce to make the taste better. For breadcrumbs, you can prefer for fresh breadcrumbs and it will be tastier than the ones prepared with the readymade breadcrumbs. After giving a light coating with thin breadcrumbs, you can again roll on sesame seeds. The cutlets will be beautiful to look at. Each variety will have a different taste and texture.

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2005, 10:40 AM
Dear Suganthi!
I felt happy to know that you have got good result with the poritha kuzhambu and yr husband liked it very much. Thanks a lot for the feedback I have replied above for yr query.

Thattai
24th March 2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Tried your idli podi recipe. It is very good.

I have a few queries:
1] What is the best alternative to an oven in 'dum' cooking?
2] What is the best type of vessel to get for oven cooking?

I would appreciate you response as I am planning to purchase a big utensil especially for your biryanis, and would like to know what would be the right choice.

Tx,

Thattai
24th March 2005, 11:41 AM
Some more queries:

In your idli recipe, how long should we soak the urad dal? I usually soak the methi for as long as I soak the rice, and urad for about an hour and a half.

And if we use urad dal with the skin, do we need to remove the skin before grinding?

Thanks again.

Mrs.Mano
25th March 2005, 06:27 PM
Dear Thattai!
You haven’t mentioned whether it is micro oven or gas oven.
Grinding for idli- what you have written is the correct procedure. Yes. You have to remove the skin before grinding the soaked black gram.

guddi
26th March 2005, 05:51 AM
Hi...
Puliyogare - Iyengar style - Green Colour If anyone knows the recipee can you please send it across I have been craving for it since 5 years !!!!

Thanks
guddi

louisvalan
26th March 2005, 10:14 AM
Grate coconuts to a rough grid and semi visoucs. Mixed is ideal,but caution it shouldnt become a fine paste.. Add one pinch of Tamarind and ginger and Green Chilli in to it at the last phase of grinding . Add salt to taste

Heat sufficient oil and fry it with the regular spices with fine fine chopped onions, Jeera and curry leaves and fry till they get golden yellow colour. Pour this oil fry along with oil over the coconut paste. Preferably use coconut oil. This cutney goes well with anything, and even you can have Rice with this chutney.

svasu_ani
27th March 2005, 10:21 PM
Hi

What dishes can be made using yellow corn flour? I wasnt knowing there were 2 varieties : the white one and the yellow one.I had picked the yellow one earlier and donno wht to make out of it!

Anitha

svasu_ani
28th March 2005, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Hot and Sweet corn Veg soup is my fav soup. In India, I used to order this when I go to a hotel. After coming to Minneapolis I didnt find this soup even in a single restaurant where I had been. They were giving the tomato and dal soup.... :( . If anyone could send me the recipe to make it as thick and as tasty as served in hotel, I would be really happy :) .

Thanks
Anitha

Ramanan
28th March 2005, 02:23 PM
I am a new member interested in trying new recipes. Can somebody please forward to me Mrs. Mano's recipe collection..

Ramanan

ziaxxxxx
29th March 2005, 12:54 AM
can you plss give me the recipe of chocolate chip cookiez which can be baked in microwave?? also cakes recipe ?? pls provide the temperatures tooo

Kz
29th March 2005, 02:17 AM
I have chocolate chip cookies and some cake recipes but they are baked in oven. if u want them i can post it. i dont know recipes that could be baked in microwave oven. so let me know if u need them.
Kz

Ramanan
29th March 2005, 05:48 AM
I am a new member interested in trying new recipes. Can somebody please forward to me Mrs. Mano's recipe collection..

Ramanan

P.S. Sorry but I missed mentioning my e-mail i.d. It is pvhramanan@excite.com

Can I now look forward to getting the recipes soon pleaze...

ziaxxxxx
29th March 2005, 10:33 PM
i would liek to have cookies n cake recipes using the microwave oven..but if u'v got oven recipes Ks ...then pls do provide them tooo....n pls don ferge to provide the temp...too..thannx alot

Thattai
30th March 2005, 10:47 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried your Biryani (2) over the weekend. MAde it with mutton and this version was also very good, though my husband was slightly more partial to method 1 as it was more moist. But taste wise we thought that both were very good. :thumbsup:

The dum method I used was:
1st time: MAde it in pressure cooker kept on tawa. Instead of the weight I kept an upturned katori to keep the steam in without the seetie happening. The result was ok...

2nd time: MAde it in non-stick vessel kept on tawa. Placed aluminium foil over it. Then a lid with some water, and a heavy object on it to keep the steam sealed in. I got good results with this method.

Is there any other better way to cook with dum on a gastop?

As for my oven, I have a microwave oven with convection option. So I use the convection setting while making Biryani. Would really appreciate your inputs for a suitable vessel.

And thanks for your feedback on the idlis... :D

Anandi
30th March 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi,
Just found this thread yesterday-read all posts..this is a great thread. Could someone please mail me both parts of Mrs. Mano's recipes. Thanks so much in advance ....

id is nandumom@yahoo.com

gvb
30th March 2005, 05:50 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
I made Bhajis yesterday and i felt like it has a little too much of oil in it..Is it cos of Maida?And can u also tell me the proportion for making Bonda?

Thanks and regards,
Suganthi

Inimai
30th March 2005, 07:55 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I prepared your Tomato Coconut Kuzhambu just now. It turned out very well. I want to know whether this one goes well for rice or idli or Dosai.

Thanks!

Thattai
31st March 2005, 10:25 AM
Hi All,

The recipes have been mailed to nandumom@yahoo.com, pvhramanan@excite.com, shuba@tilogics.com, krishsudha_karthik@yahoo.com

Some of you may be getting these files the second time round, but I sent them as there was no post saying that the files have been sent/recieved.

Anandi
31st March 2005, 08:55 PM
Hi Thattai,
I recd the recipes. Thanks a lot.

riceandbeans
31st March 2005, 09:13 PM
Could someone send me Mrs Mano recipe collection files. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

riceandbeans
31st March 2005, 09:14 PM
armatos@hotmail.com

cupmom
1st April 2005, 03:30 AM
Hello Thattai,
Could you please send Mrs MANO RECIPE COLLECTION FILE to my email also.My email is cupmom@hotmail.com.
Thankyou.

newcomer
1st April 2005, 03:55 AM
Hi there,

I am new this hub. Can you please tell me where I can find all these delicious recipes? Reading about these recipes alone make my mouth water.

Thank You all in advance.

newcomer. :P

riceandbeans
1st April 2005, 06:55 AM
I kindly requested Mrs Mano's recipe collection and gave my hotmail address, in case it doesn't work could you please send it to: amoothe@yahoo.com.br
Thank you very, very much.

RK
1st April 2005, 08:50 AM
Hi All,

The recipes have been mailed to nandumom@yahoo.com, pvhramanan@excite.com, shuba@tilogics.com, krishsudha_karthik@yahoo.com

Some of you may be getting these files the second time round, but I sent them as there was no post saying that the files have been sent/recieved.

Hi Thattai,

Thanks, I have receive the recipes.. :)

grl95014
2nd April 2005, 04:12 AM
I used to post in the old forumhub. But never got around to registering in the new forums. Now that I have, I don't have the time to figure out how to search within a thread. But, will hugely appreciate any one's help in sending me the recipe collection of Mrs Mano by email. My email address is markna@comast.net . Thanks in advance for your help.

nutcr0cker
3rd April 2005, 12:58 AM
I am a newbie hubber can you please mail me the Mrs. Mano recipes thanks
nutrcr0cker@earthlink.net

tulips73
3rd April 2005, 10:06 AM
Hai

I am new to the hub can anyone send me the recipies of Mrs Mano to tulip73@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Anuraj
3rd April 2005, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone! :)
I am new to this hub, and have been going through the messages of all of you for a few days before i registered. I found many useful tips and recipies. And moreover, ihave been seeing many messages in praise of Mrs. Mano and her recipies. I would love to have a copy of all her recipies. How can i get them??
Thanks in advance...
I will have more queries regarding cooking... as i am very interested in cooking and am new to it..
Thanks

mierage
3rd April 2005, 09:00 PM
i'm new to this forum..
i went through Mrs. Mano's recipes... it is realli fantastic...
it wud be great if somebody could mail me her recipe collection to mierage@rediffmail.com

:)
thanks a lot

newcomer
4th April 2005, 06:08 AM
Hi,

Could anyone please forward Mrs.Mano's recipes to ngmisc24@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance.

NG.

Thattai
4th April 2005, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

The recipes have been sent to armatos@hotmail.com, cupmom@hotmail.com, amoothe@yahoo.com.br, markna@comast.net, nutrcr0cker@earthlink.net, tulip73@gmail.com,
mierage@rediffmail.com, & ngmisc24@yahoo.com

Anuraj, please post the e-mail id where you want the recipes sent.

regards,

Anuraj
4th April 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Thattai,
my e-mail id is anu_sarma@yahoo.com.Thanks in advance...

Hi all,

The recipes have been sent to armatos@hotmail.com, cupmom@hotmail.com, amoothe@yahoo.com.br, markna@comast.net, nutrcr0cker@earthlink.net, tulip73@gmail.com,

regards,

newcomer
4th April 2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Thattai,

Thank You so much for sending me the recipes. I got 2 attachments.

Thank you again.

NG

riceandbeans
4th April 2005, 10:07 PM
Thattai,
I just got the recipe files. Thank you so very much.

Kz
5th April 2005, 02:57 AM
Hi ziaxxxxx,
Sorry for the delay, i wasn't well. here is the choco chip cookies recipe.

1 cup softened margarine (2 sticks)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/4 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips
In a big mixing bowl Put the soft margarine in it.Measure the sugars into the bowl with the soft margarine. Use a whisk or large spoon to mix the sugar and margarine together until it is soft, smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs. Beat the mixture until
it becomes a smooth satiny batter. Add the vanilla and salt; mix well. Now sprinkle in the baking soda, and dump in the flour. Use a big spoon to stir it all up to a nice smooth dough. Add the chocolate chips. Stir again.
Drop the cookie dough by rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake them at 350° for 10 minutes. They will be a light golden brown,Transfer the cookies to cool. Bake another batch. This recipe makes about 4 or 5 dozen cookies,depending on how big you make them. They have fewer chocolate chips than other chocolate chip cookie recipes, ( i have reduced them if u like more chips in ur cookies u can add some more)but there are still enough chips to make them taste good.

The baking time depends on the cookie sheet u use and ur oven sometimes. it is better to bake in white, shiny metal pans than nonstick ones, but i have used non stick ones too and it comes out good. just keep checking it after 8 minutes. sometimes within a minute it will get burnt. enjoy,bye.
Kz

Kz
5th April 2005, 03:52 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I have a doubt in chicken urundai kolambu recipe, shouldi use raw chicken flesh or cooked chicken flesh for mincing?
then u have mentioned "Take out the flesh of 1 chicken breast and 3 thigh pieces" can i use only thigh pieces or breast pieces? is there some reason to combine both kind of pieces and use?
Thankyou.
Kz

sarithasai5
5th April 2005, 04:13 AM
Hi everybody!
I am Saritha.Joined on 31st March only.
Have found this section too very much interesting.
I appreciate and thank Mrs.Mano and Mr.Hemanth for their wonderful recipes.
Got to read them only today.
I wld love to experiment different recipes.So shall try out few of them which I came to see today:)
Mrs.Mano! Could u please post Tamilian Sambar Powder recipe when ever possible to u?
Thanq :)

ziaxxxxx
5th April 2005, 05:18 PM
thanxxxxxxxx alot Kz....i hope these cookies trun out to be quite crispy like the ones availible in teh suermarkets..........

di
5th April 2005, 11:19 PM
hi all,
can someone please email me Mrs Mano recipe collection? i do have it but seems like some recipies are missing(like biryani)!...my email id is sagi_76_22@hotmail.com
thanks in advance

grl95014
5th April 2005, 11:55 PM
For some reason, I have not received the recipes yet :( My email is markna@comcast.net . Sorry for inconveniencing you.

riceandbeans
6th April 2005, 01:58 AM
grl95014,

There was a typo on the e-mail you wrote before. That's probably the reason why you did not get the recipes so far.

grl95014
6th April 2005, 02:21 AM
Yes I see the typo in my email address. Sorry about that. And I received the recipes that you sent out again. Thanks a lot for your help.

tomato
6th April 2005, 10:35 AM
I'm planning to make Mrs. Mano's microwave Palgova.

PALGOVA [MICROWAVE]:
Add 1 tin condensed milk[450gms to 500gms], 9tbsp full cream milk powder, and 2tbsp fresh curd to a microwave bowl and mix with a spoon thoroughly. Microwave it in HIGH for 3 minutes at first. Then take the bowl out of the oven and mix well. Then again microwave it for 11/2 to 2 minutes in HIGH. Then if you need, you must microwave it for some more minutes. But do not forget to take it out and mix well after every minute.

I have never tasted this before. So i would like to know what the final texture should be and also how many servings will I get by the above recipe. Is it served warm or chilled?

Mrs. Mano or anyone who has tried out this recipe pls clarify my doubts.

sarithasai5
6th April 2005, 08:37 PM
Hi tomato!
As to my knowledge and trail, I microwaved it to 7min untill the

texture is little harder than chapathi flour, and made round balls

(can consider like Gulab jamoon texture too),flattened with slightly

shallow shape and decorated with BADAM in the middle.

Try out..all the best :)

Saritha :)

tomato
6th April 2005, 08:46 PM
Wow, thank u Saritha. That was helpful, now I have a clearer idea of what to expect.

BTW making round balls is not mentioned in the recipe, I guess its ur own special touch, nice idea. :)

But that still leaves me with the question : How is 'Palgova' traditionally eaten, is it something like carrot halva or is it more like a burfi which can be stored for a few days. Dear hubbers pls enlighten me on this.

sarithasai5
6th April 2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Tomato!
I am back once again!
Palgova it not like Carrot Halwa.
It can be stored for few days in a Refrigirator .
It wld be like any other sweet in shops..like Dhood Pedha for example :)

If anybody else can explain,most welcome :)
Hope Tomato gets a better idea

newcomer
6th April 2005, 10:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I have tried this Paalgova without adding milk powder but add a spoon full of ghee and some elachi after 3 minutes.

it tastes very good and very simple recipe. It turns out like AAvin Thiratipaal.

NG

sarithasai5
6th April 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi
Can anybody Please give me the recipe for Tamilian Sambar Powder .
Wld be thankful if so!
:)

Hemant Trived1
6th April 2005, 11:11 PM
Hello Sarithasai5,

Visit the following link for sambar powder.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/powder/sambar-powder.html

enjoy !!

sarithasai5
6th April 2005, 11:58 PM
Thanq Mr.Hemanth!
Will try soon and give the feed back:) :) got lot of recipes to expt

Anuraj
7th April 2005, 08:43 AM
Hi Thattai
May i again request you to send Mrs. Mano's recipies to me. I did not find any posts from you in the last few days and was just wondering if you missed my posting mentioning my e-mail id. Hoping to have a look at those recipies soo...n..!
Thanks
Anu

Hemant Trived1
7th April 2005, 08:51 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano and friends,

As all of you are aware, I am making arrangements to send you all the "keynote" of all my recipes.
I am also planning to give link of Mrs. Mano's recipes in that book since they are a class by itself.(especially Tamil Nadu Recipes)
If anyone can park Mrs. Mano's recipe on the net which will have a link, it would be great for anyone to get all recipes by me and Mrs. Mano in the same place.
Thanks in advance,
Rgds
Hemant Trivedi

tomato
7th April 2005, 09:12 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano and friends,

As all of you are aware, I am making arrangements to send you all the "keynote" of all my recipes.
I am also planning to give link of Mrs. Mano's recipes in that book since they are a class by itself.(especially Tamil Nadu Recipes)
If anyone can park Mrs. Mano's recipe on the net which will have a link, it would be great for anyone to get all recipes by me and Mrs. Mano in the same place.
Thanks in advance,
Rgds
Hemant Trivedi

Thats a great idea Mr, Trivedi. I'm sure all of us will be extremely delighted. Eagerly waiting for the whole collection.

I was just browsing thru ur website, (given earlier by u). Came across malai kofta recipe in curries section. U have mentioned 'one boiled and mashed potato' when do we add it to the gravy? Planning to make this dish today, so pls reply asap.

Mrs.Mano
7th April 2005, 10:08 AM
Dear Suganthi!
Bajjis always absorb oil in any kind of proposition. I will post the recipe for Bonda soon. Which variety of bonda you would like to try?

Mrs.Mano
7th April 2005, 06:44 PM
Dear Saritha!
Welcome to the TAMILNADU DELICACIES THREAD’!
I have already posted the recipe for Sambar powder [Tamilian]. Anyhow, I am re-posting here the same recipe.
SAMBAR POWDER:
Ingredients:
A big handful of dry red chillies, 2 tbsp of coriander seeds, 1 tbsp of Bengal gram, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, ½ tsp peppercorns, 2 pinches of black gram, 2 pinches of mustard seeds
Method:
Roast all these ingredients in a dry pan for a few minutes. There is no need to fry them to a golden brown colour. When cooled, powder them finely.

Mrs.Mano
7th April 2005, 06:47 PM
Dear Saritha!
Welcome to the TAMILNADU DELICACIES THREAD’!
I have already posted the recipe for Sambar powder [Tamilian]. Anyhow, I am re-posting here the same recipe.
SAMBAR POWDER:
Ingredients:
A big handful of dry red chillies, 2 tbsp of coriander seeds, 1 tbsp of Bengal gram, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, ½ tsp peppercorns, 2 pinches of black gram, 2 pinches of mustard seeds
Method:
Roast all these ingredients in a dry pan for a few minutes. There is no need to fry them to a golden brown colour. When cooled, powder them finely.

Mrs.Mano
7th April 2005, 06:53 PM
Hello Tomato!
The final texture of the Microwave palgova will be like ‘THIRATTUPPAL’.
Microwave palgova can be served hot. If you want to chill it before serving, the final texture must be a little watery.

Mrs.Mano
7th April 2005, 06:55 PM
Hello KZ!
Raw chicken flesh must be used for ‘CHICKEN URUNDAI KUZHAMBU’. If you combine the flesh of the breast pieces with the flesh of thigh pieces, the taste will be more delicious.

smangai
7th April 2005, 09:40 PM
Could someone please mail the second part of Mrs.Mano's recipes to mangai_s@hotmail.com
ThankQ.
Smg.

sarithasai5
7th April 2005, 09:43 PM
Hi

di
7th April 2005, 10:49 PM
hi Thattai or anyone else,
plz do email me Mrs Mano entire recipe collection to my email at sagi_76_22@hotmail.com...

thanks

Kz
8th April 2005, 12:16 AM
Thankyou Mrs.Mano for replying abt the chicken urundai kolambu, I will try it soon.
Kz

Thattai
8th April 2005, 09:43 AM
Hi,

The recipe files have been mailed to rxx3@hotmail.com, sagi_76_22@hotmail.com, mangai_s@hotmail.com, anu_sarma@yahoo.com.

Thattai
8th April 2005, 09:49 AM
Dear MRs. Mano,

I am re-posting some queries that I had some time back, and would really appreciate your feedback on the same. Sorry bout the trouble...

Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried your Biryani (2) over the weekend. MAde it with mutton and this version was also very good, though my husband was slightly more partial to method 1 as it was more moist. But taste wise we thought that both were very good. :thumbsup:

The dum method I used was:
1st time: MAde it in pressure cooker kept on tawa. Instead of the weight I kept an upturned katori to keep the steam in without the seetie happening. The result was ok...

2nd time: MAde it in non-stick vessel kept on tawa. Placed aluminium foil over it. Then a lid with some water, and a heavy object on it to keep the steam sealed in. I got good results with this method.

Is there any other better way to cook with dum on a gastop?

As for my oven, I have a microwave oven with convection option. So I use the convection setting while making Biryani. Would really appreciate your inputs for a suitable vessel.

And thanks for your feedback on the idlis... :D

PS: Made idlis and dosas using your atta method. The idlis were much softer that they usually are when I make them, but became harder when they cooled down a bit. Is this normal? How do I avoid this in future. I grind the atta using a sumeet mixie, if that makes any difference... Thanks again...

smangai
8th April 2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Thattai n Ramanan,

Thanks a lot for sending the recipe files.

Regards,
Smg

Anuraj
8th April 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi Thattai!

Thanks a lot for sending in the recipies. Mrs. Mano, thankyou for the contributions.

Anu

di
8th April 2005, 10:13 PM
hi thattai,
thanks for emailing me the recipe collections!

aadhitya39
8th April 2005, 10:25 PM
Hi Thattai,

Can you please send Mrs. Mano's recipe collection to ravisaiani@yahoo.com ? Thanks in advance.

aadhitya39
8th April 2005, 10:48 PM
Mrs. Mano,

I made your poondu kuzhambu yesterday and my husband loved it so much.

I was going thru your veg biriyani (mogul) type recipe. I want to try it. In the recipe your have told that we have to cook the 3 cups of rice with 6 cups water until the water evaporates. I think this means that the rice is fully cooked. So when we layer, we are using 1 cup of cream to sprinkle on the 3 layers of rice, layer by layer. Will it not make the rice too mushy after slow cooking it for 20 mts. I had a bad experience of mushy biriyani with layering method before. That is why I want to clarify before I try it. Am I understanding it wrong. Please help me.

You recipe collection is a standard fixture in my kitchen.

Thank you so much,
Sai

samika
8th April 2005, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am amazed by the patience and work of Mrs Mano. Could someone please forward Mrs Mano's recipe collection to my email id - samiraste@yahoo.com?

Thanks a bunch
Samika

Mini
11th April 2005, 12:45 AM
hi,
i wud like to hae a copy of her reipes sent to my mail id too.
luckyqueen@gmail.com
thanks and regs,
mini

Ramanan
11th April 2005, 11:48 AM
I remember a preparation called "istu"that I tried some years ago. It is a rather simple potato-tomato subji, a bit liqudi with ginger, green chilles, etc and goes very well with chapatti and puri. Can anybody post the traditional recipe for it. Thanks

Ramanan

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2005, 06:19 PM
Dear Thattai!
I think that I have posted a ‘Dum’ method’ using a dosa plate on a gas top a few weeks back. I have also mentioned that rectangular glass bowls are suitable for microwave cooking.
About this idli making- it is always a learning process! It depends on black gram’s quality. With fresh skinned black gram and whole black gram [without the skin], we can get soft idlis. It is believed that the whole black gram should not be soaked more than 30 minutes. Last week it proved to be a wrong thing. There is a difference between the black [whole] grams that are soaked for 30 minutes and 12 hours. I found out that the 12- hours soaked black grams yield much more soft idlis than the previous one. The ground batter should not be thick. It should be flexible. The black grams should be ground for at least 30 minutes. But, if you use a mixi, sprinkle water now and then and grind it to a fluffy and frothy batter. Hope these explanations will be helpful.

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2005, 06:20 PM
Hello Sai!
Thanks a lot for the feed back on poondu kuzhambu.
About the vegetable briyani-You must use good quality briyani rice. Some types of rice make the briyani mushy. You must cook those 3 cups of rice on medium fire. So the rice will be cooked 3/4th when all the water is evaporated. If you find the cooked rice broken, then reduce the quantity of cream to ½ cup.

nirosha sen
11th April 2005, 06:45 PM
I remember a preparation called "istu"that I tried some years ago. It is a rather simple potato-tomato subji, a bit liqudi with ginger, green chilles, etc and goes very well with chapatti and puri. Can anybody post the traditional recipe for it. Thanks

Ramanan

Hi Ram,

My stew or istu curry is a bit different from what you mentioned, Pa!! But yes, it goes well with idiappam or puris.

Okay, your ingredients are simple : 3 extractions of 1/2 a coconut, few fresh green chillies (5), bombay onions (abt 2 ), a couple of potatoes(diced small), curry leaves and a bit of mustard seeds for tempering.

Boil the potatoes in the the 3rd extraction of coconut milk. Halfway, add the 2nd one and the bombay onions(diced) and chillies, slit lengthwise.

At last add the 1st, thick extraction of milk and separately done, the tempering in a small wok with curry leaves, added on.

Do not make it too watery, otherwise it normally turns out well.

Ramanan
12th April 2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks to Nirosha for the istu recipe. What masalas are to be used - asafoetida, turmeric, corriamder powder, ginger ??? Also what is Bombay Onion - here we have white onions, red onions (more like the ones in India) and frozen small onions from India (the ones for sambhar, etc).

The istu I remember did not have coconut milk.

And other hubbers, if you know any other recipe for istu, please post. Thanks.

thurikaramya
12th April 2005, 03:17 AM
Hi members,
I am a new member and would like to have the collection of Mrs. Mano's recipes. I would really appreciate if anybody could send me the collection (just her recipes) to my id ram76_us@yahoo.com.Thanks. Ramya

tomato
12th April 2005, 10:03 AM
Hello Tomato!
The final texture of the Microwave palgova will be like ‘THIRATTUPPAL’.
Microwave palgova can be served hot. If you want to chill it before serving, the final texture must be a little watery.

Thank u Mrs. Mano for the clarification. But Guess what I don't really know what ‘THIRATTUPPAL’ is !! :oops:
But I sincerely appreciate the trouble u take to clarify all our doubts. Thank u very much.
Anyways I did try out ur recipe and i'm happy to say that it tasted great. :D
Do post similar quick and easy recipes which can be made in the microwave oven.
Warm Rgds,
Tomato.

magnolia
12th April 2005, 07:04 PM
Hello Mrs. MAno,
I would really appreciate if you could send me the recipes to my id asterix--obelix@hotmail.com.
Thanks in advance.

khushi
12th April 2005, 10:13 PM
Dear Indu!
I will depart from Tamilnadu after 20th April.
About Paper roast, you have to mix a little gram flour and plain flour to the dosa batter and spread the batter very thinly on the dosa plate.

Mrs Mano,
What do you mean by plain flour? Is it Maida? Please let me know.

Thanks !!!!

magnolia
13th April 2005, 05:25 PM
hi all,
i would really appreciate if anyone could send me the recipes to my id asterix--obelix@hotmail.com.I am too eager to try them out.
thanks

Seethab
14th April 2005, 02:50 AM
Dear Mrs Mano:

Thanks for the idli mavu explanation. I agree with you on soaking for long hours. I live in the US and I have been making idlis. I think even fermenting happens better when soaked longer.

sangii77
14th April 2005, 04:16 AM
Recipes have been mailed as a zip file to asterix--obelix@hotmail.com,ram76_us@yahoo.com,ravisaiani@y ahoo.com,samiraste@yahoo.com,luckyqueen@gmail.com.

magnolia
14th April 2005, 05:45 AM
Thank you so much sangeetha .

narasu03
14th April 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi All,

I a new bee to this topic and also to the forum. Can anyone send me the entire recipe collections please?

Email : narasu03@yahoo.com

svasu_ani
14th April 2005, 06:09 PM
Hi, :wave:

Inniya Tamil Puthandu Nal Vazhthukkal.

Happy Vishu

Anitha

sarithasai5
14th April 2005, 08:39 PM
hi

nutcr0cker
14th April 2005, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

regards,

Is it possible to resend the recipe to nutcr0cker@earthlink.net without the 'r'

samika
14th April 2005, 10:32 PM
Sangeetha, thank you for the recipes.