PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

fortune
15th April 2005, 01:41 AM
Hi ,
Could someone send the entire collection of Mrs. Mano's recipes to my id priyavaidya76@yahoo.com.
Thanks

thurikaramya
15th April 2005, 07:52 PM
Hi Sangeetha and Guhapriya,
Thanks for the recipes. I got them.

narasu03
15th April 2005, 09:51 PM
Hi,
When would be my turn to get the recipes? :(

samika
16th April 2005, 12:16 AM
I have forwarded the recipe collection that I received from Sangeetha to meetsaritha@yahoo.com,nutcr0cker@earthlink.net,pri yavaidya76@yahoo.com,narasu03@yahoo.com

sarithasai5
16th April 2005, 12:25 AM
thanku

indu
16th April 2005, 07:29 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
How to cook pizza, using the frozen pizza base, we get in the market. I tried in dosa pan, but the base gets very black, very fast, even before the cheese on top melts.
Should I defrost, then add the topping ? We don't use microwave, and so would like to know the method of cooking it in stove top and in usual gas oven.
Thanks in advance,
Indu.

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2005, 06:27 PM
Hello Mr.Ramanan!
Here is a link for yr request of ISHTU recipe. But this recipe has also coconut in it.
http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/contrib4439.html

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2005, 06:30 PM
Dear Tomato!
Thanks a lot for yr feedback. THIRATTUPPAL is like thickened rabri/rabadi. I will post a few microwave recipes soon.

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2005, 06:36 PM
Hello Kushi!
Yes. Maida is ‘plain flour’ in English!

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2005, 06:46 PM
Dear Indu!
There is no need to defrost the pizza base completely. Just take the pizza base and the pizza cheese spread out of the freezer and keep them on a cutting plate for 5 to 10 minutes. Then spread all the ingredients including the cheese on the pizza base. In the meantime, heat the gas oven to 160 deg C for 10 minutes. Place the prepared pizza in the gas oven and just cook it until the cheese melts.

gvb
18th April 2005, 02:07 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thanks for clarifying my query. Sorry I couldn’t reply sooner. I would appreciate if you could give me the recipe for aloo bonda. Please take your time.
Thanks & Regards,
Suganthi.

sarithasai5
18th April 2005, 03:14 AM
thanku

Ramanan
18th April 2005, 10:59 AM
Hello Mrs Mano

Thank you for showing me the Ishtu recipe on Bawarchi. Looks coconut is an integral part of isthu. Ramanan

Ramanan

rsankar
19th April 2005, 02:46 AM
Hello,

Can anyone send me the entire collection of Mrs.Mano's recipes.

Thanks.

Ramanan
19th April 2005, 07:27 AM
Sankar

The entire collection of Mrs.Mano's recipeshave been sent to your e-mail address sanrays@gmail.com Enjoy.

Ramanan

indu
19th April 2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks very much Mrs.Mano, for such a prompt response. Will try out your method and let u know.
Can you give tips on how to get correct round shape of paniyaram ? I always get little concave cups and if I pour more batter {to get the globe shape}, the paniyaram remains uncooked in the centre .

And also, I would like your advise on the correct type of vessels to use in Indian cooking, like for sambar, rasam etc. is non-stick ok or should we use only steel ? Likewise, for deep-frying vada, poori, appalam, I'm using the iron vanali {which I also use for roast poriyals}, is that harmful ? Do suggest , whenever you have time, the correct vessels to be used for all items we normally cook.

Thanks a ton for your time,
Indu.

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2005, 11:56 AM
Hello Suganthi!
Here is the recipe for ALOO BONDA [POTATO BONDA].
POTATO BONDA:
Ingredients:
For potato masala:
Potato-250 gms, onion[sliced- ½ cup], chopped green chillies- 2 tsp, chopped coriander leaves- ¼ cup, curry leaves- 2 arcs, mashed tomato- 1/3 cup, turmeric powder- ½ tsp, gram dal powder- 2tsp, mustard seeds- 1tsp, black gram- 1 tsp, Bengal gram- 1 tsp, salt to taste, cooking oil- 3tbsp, asafetida powder- 1 tsp
For the batter:
Gram flour-2 cups, plain flour-2 tbsp, raw rice flour- ¼ cup, corn flour-1tbsp, chilli powder-1/2 tsp, soda bi carbonate-2 pinches, salt to taste, and enough oil to fry
Procedure:
Pressure cook the potatoes. When they are cooled, peel the skins and mash them finely.
Heat a kadai and pour the oil for masala. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the black and Bengal grams and fry for a few minutes to a golden colour. Add the chopped onion, green chillies, turmeric powder and the tomatoes and fry well until they are cooked and mashed. Add the chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves and the mashed potato with enough salt and the gram dal flour. Fry them on a slow fire until they are well combined to a solid mass. When cooled, make small balls out of them.
Put all the flours with the chilli powder, soda bi carbonate and salt in a bowl. Make a batter like idli batter by adding enough water to them. Let the batter stand for ½ hour. Heat a kadai and pour enough oil for frying the bondas. When the oil becomes hot, take a ball, dip in the batter,coat evenly and toss it in the hot oil. When it turns to a golden brown colour, take it away and put it on a kitchen towel. You can fry 5 bondas at a time. Thus complete all the balls

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2005, 11:57 AM
Hello Saritha!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on Carrot Halwa.

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2005, 11:58 AM
Dear Indu!
The batter for the paniyaram should be like the idli batter. If you pour a tsp of batter, the batter itself will sit into a round shape.
For preparing sambar, rasam and koottu varieties, you can use Hindalium vessels. [It is also called as Calcutta chatti]. I always do not prefer non-stick vessels as they get cracks even if we use them very carefully. Very expensive non-stick vessels do not yield to cracks. Copper bottom vessels absorb heat quickly and we should be very careful in cooking these vessels. For frying vada, poori and appalam, iron kadais, non-stick kadais and hindalium kadais are suitable. It is not harmful in cooking iron vanali.

sarithasai5
19th April 2005, 08:16 PM
ty

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2005, 08:32 PM
Now I am posting a few recipes on young jackfruit. Young jack fruit is also called as Pala moosu and palakkai in Tamil.

PALAMOOSU PORIYAL: [YOUNG JACK FRUIT PORIYAL]
Ingredients:
A small palamoosu-1, shredded coconut-1/2 cup, chopped onion- 1 cup, chopped small onions- ½ cup, chopped green chillies-2tsp, mustard seeds- 1tsp, black gram- 1tsp, chopped coriander leaves- ½ cup, salt to taste, oil- 3tbsp, turmeric powder- ½ tsp, curry leaves- a handful.
Powder coarsely the following ingredients:
Cloves-2, cinnamon-2 pieces, fennel seeds- 1tsp
Procedure:
Remove the hard outer layer of the palakkai with the help of a sharp knife. Cut it into 2 pieces. Remove the center bone which is in white colour. Then cut the whole palakkai into 1” cubes. Cook them in plenty of water until and drain the water completely. Put 2 or 3 pieces in a miixi and run the mixi just for a second. You can get a nicely shredded palakkai. Thus shred all the cooked pieces. If you run the mixi for more than a second, the outcome will be sticky.
Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the black gram and the curry leaves and fry them for a few seconds. Now add the chopped onions, the sambar onions, green chillies, chopped coriander leaves and the ground powder and fry them to a golden brown colour. Now add the shredded palakkai with the turmeric powder and enough salt and mix well. Fry on a slow fire for 10 minutes. When ever thing is combined well, add the shredded coconut and mix well.
PALAKKAI VADAI:
Ingredients:
Small palamoosu-1, turmeric powder- ½ tsp, lentils- ½ cup, Bengal gram- ½ cup, red chillies-8, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, cumin seeds- ½ tsp, chopped onion- 1 cup, chopped coriander leaves- ½ cup, curry leaves- a handful, salt to taste, enough oil to fry
Procedure:
Shred the palakkai following the procedure in the above recipe. Then run the mixi for an additional second so that the palakkai will be sticky and will have a ground texture. Soak the dals for an hour and grind them with the fennel and cumin seeds and the red chillies to a coarse paste. Add the palakkai to this paste with the chopped ingredients, turmeric powder and enough salt. Mix well and make small balls out of them. Flatten them into vadais and deep fry them in hot oil to a golden brown colour.

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2005, 08:34 PM
Hello Saritha!
Thank you very much for the feedback on Microwave rava kesari.

rsankar
20th April 2005, 03:25 AM
Hello ramanan,
Thanks for the recipes.

kavithasenthil
20th April 2005, 03:56 AM
Hello Mrs.mano,
Can you give palakai kutoo too. Thks

honeydew
20th April 2005, 04:38 PM
hi,
pls send me the mrs mano recipe to my mail id dewhoneycream27@yahoo.com.sg, cansomebody give mrs mano recipe index with pagenumbers so that i can check with my list , if u have pls send me too thanks in advance .

regds
honey

raviss
21st April 2005, 12:39 AM
Can someone email the recipe collection to rsaforjm@hotmail.com
Thanks

Ramanan
21st April 2005, 08:03 AM
Dear Mrs Mano

Can you please give the recipe for thukayal - parrupu thukayal, chaco thukayal and pirtankai thukayal ? If possible, I'll prefer it without onion and garlic. Thanks. Ramanan

Ramanan
21st April 2005, 11:33 AM
I have e-mailed the above to Honeydew and Raviss. Ramanan

Jayda
21st April 2005, 11:38 AM
I am new here. Loved the recipes. Wonder if someone could send me the whole collection of Mrs Mano's recipes and the others as well to lc2flc2f@yahoo.com.sg. Thanks. This is such a delightful forum.

Jayda

honeydew
21st April 2005, 01:54 PM
thanks ramanan

Mrs.Mano
21st April 2005, 08:42 PM
Hello Kavitha Senthil!
As palakkai has a strong flavor, I think that it does not go well with koottu recipe. Its flavour suits for kuruma recipes

Mrs.Mano
21st April 2005, 08:43 PM
Dear Mr.Ramanan!

I will soon post the recipes of thukaiyals you have asked! But, what is chaco thukaiyal?
I have prepared today yr recipe of groundnut powder and it was very delicious to eat with hot rice and ghee. Thank you very much for the tasty recipe.
In yr recipe of groundnut sauce, you have not mentioned the quantity of tamarind and the garlic flakes. Could you please clear it?

kavithasenthil
21st April 2005, 10:01 PM
thks for the reply mrs mano.

luz
22nd April 2005, 01:16 AM
hi mrs mano, want to know if making cashew burfi is same as almond burfi, like the measure and process.etc. please clarify

Ramanan
22nd April 2005, 02:07 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano

Thanks for your post.

Chaco is what is known as "chou chou" in Madras. It is called chaco here.

I am glad that you liked the groundnut powder.

Re. your query, the peanut sauce has tamarind but not garlic. I use about a tea spoon of tamarind concentrate. The Dry Peanut Chutney has garlic but I prefer to not use it. The original recipe I have does not mention the quantity of both these ingredients.

Hope this is helpful. Regards.

Ramanan

Pammi Randhawa
22nd April 2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Can u pl send me link /recipe collections of ur recipes at
following email

p_randhawa69@yahoo.com

will be much obliged

Pammi

pr
23rd April 2005, 09:36 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thank you very much for the tip about cutlet . I tried ur sambar powder and the sambar tasted like kalayana veetu sambar . Eveyone in my home liked it .. Thank u very much
Regards

sony
23rd April 2005, 01:19 PM
horsegram : soaked for 2 nights(they take atleast 2/3 days to sprout) soak in water the first day. for the second and 3rd day drain out the water and keep sprinkling some water now and then.
pressure cook till 3 whistles.
yam : 1 small cut into medium pieces. (boil with little salt ,termeric and tamrind juice)
masala: kashmiri red chillies( 7/8)
corriender seeds 1 tbsp
jeera 1/2 tsp
mustard 1/2 tsp
methiseeds a pinch.
onion 1/2 cut
garlic flakes 2
coconut 1/2 grated.

grind the masala into a fine paste . boil this in a kadai , when the masala has left the raw smell add the pressure cooked horsegram and the boiled yam. boil for 2 mts.
season with coconut oil. add mustard , broken red chilli , curryleaves and a pich of asifotida.

sony
23rd April 2005, 01:34 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Could you please post me your recipes at soniaattavar@hotmail.com or sonia@pfsdubai.com

Thanking you

Sonia

Ramanan
23rd April 2005, 02:11 PM
Dear Sonia

The above has been sent to you via e-mail. Enjoy. Regards. Ramanan

sony
23rd April 2005, 03:20 PM
Dear Ramanan,

got the recipes. thanks a lot.

tastemakers
23rd April 2005, 10:55 PM
Hello Mrs Mano

I am new to the hub. I must congratulate you for your remarkable recipies . I would like to know the recipie for Bhindi masala which is made as a side dish for chapathis. And also would like to have some recipies that can be served with chapathis .

Thank you

Priya

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2005, 11:40 AM
[tscii:d45b47ab58]Dear Ramanan!
Thanks a lot for the explanation on Groundnut sauce. I forgot to mention one thing. I have added 3 fried red chillies instead of chilli powder in the groundnut powder recipe.
About the thukaiyal varieties- there is already a ‘Peerkangai chutney’ in my recipes collection. Here are the thukaiyal varieties you have asked!
PEERKANGAI THUKAIYAL:
Ingredients:

Peerkangai- 250 gms, 2 tbsp black gram, 2tbsps Bengal gram, asafotida- a pea sized, red chillies-3, green chillies-3, tamarind- a gooseberry sized, oil- 3tbsp, salt to taste
Procedure:
Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Fry the asafotida, and the dals to a golden brown colour. Then add the chillies and the peerkangai pieces and fry till the vegetable becomes soft. When cooled, grind the fried ingredients with the tamarind and enough salt to a coarse paste.
CHOW CHOW THUKAIYAL:
Ingredients:
Chow chow- 1 [medium sized], chopped tomatoes- ½ cup, lentils- 2 tbsp, black gram- 1 tbsp, asafotida- a pea-sized, tamarind- a marble sized, red chillies-3, green chillies-2, oil- 2 tbsp, salt to taste
Procedure:
Cut the chow chow in to small pieces. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the dals and the asafotida. Fry them to a golden brown colour. Then add the chow chow pieces with the chillies and fry till the vegetable become soft. When cooled, grind all the ingredients with the tamarind and enough salt to a coarse paste.
PARUPPU THUKAIYAL:
Ingredients:
½ cup lentils, 1 cup- shredded coconut, peppercorns- ¼ tsp, red chillies-3, garlic flakes-3, salt to taste, 3 tbsp- oil
Procedure:
Fry the lentils in the oil to a golden brown colour. At the last stage add the peppercorns and the red chilies and fry for a minute. When cooled, grind the fried ingredients with the shredded coconut, garlic flakes and enough salt to a coarse paste.

[/tscii:d45b47ab58]

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2005, 11:45 AM
Hello Luz!
Cashew nut Burfi recipe and Almond burfi are different recipes and the ingredients in both recipes vary. I have already posted them and they are in my recipes collection.

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2005, 11:54 AM
Hello Pammi Randhawa!
I have just sent to you my recipes collections. Hope you would have received them by now.

Jayda
25th April 2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,

Tried a couple of your recipes - liked them. Could you send your recipe collection to my email pls - lc2flc2f@yahoo.com.sg. This is my second request. Appreciate it. Thanks.

Jayda

sumati
25th April 2005, 10:39 PM
Hi,

I live in US and have been reading all the posts. Everybody is praising Mrs Mano's recipes that I surely want to try it. I am not a good cook and hence looking for authentic recipes. It would be of great help if I can I get the copy of recipes

Thanks,

indu
26th April 2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks once again Mrs.Mano, for your prompt response.
One more query in the same vein, what is the best containers for storing pulses, spices , rice etc. I use some plastic [pearlpet] stuff and some steel 'sambadams' but they are not air-tight at all....very often I get small insects in mungdal, pottukadalai etc.

Your reply would be extremely useful and timely since my sis. in law is just starting her home here, and she can straightaway purchase accordingly.
Many thanks,
Indira.

Ramanan
26th April 2005, 10:08 AM
Dear Mrs Mano

Many thanks for posting the Thukial recipes.

Ramanan

Pammi Randhawa
26th April 2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Thanks for the recipe collection. very gingerly I tried chicken masala .
It was very different from what we Sardars are used to. This is the first time, I've tried to cook pure south Indian chicken preparation.
All of us liked it so much that I would be trying out more of the good stuff as and when I can. Which I promise you will be very often.
I am happy that I landed in Forumhub while searching some recipe last week.
Both Mr. Hemant and yourself are giving ur best to people.
By the way, in one recipe , u hv mentioned kalapasi .
What's dat ?
Thanx again.

rsankar
26th April 2005, 04:33 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

Please translate me the following ingredients :

1. how to called, kadughu in english?

2. channa dal , gram dal is this 2 same or not?

3. how to called, vendhayam in english? I read some cook books for powder, and it mentioned mustard.....is it vendhayam or kadughu?

4. how to called, perunjeeragham in english?

5. what is Red gram in tamil?

6. what is black gram in tamil?

thanks in advance.

Hemant Trived1
26th April 2005, 07:50 PM
Hello r shankar,

If I may help you,
Please click on the following link and you will get all your answers.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/glosary.htm

rsankar
26th April 2005, 09:23 PM
Hello Hemant sir,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply.

Ramanan
27th April 2005, 12:10 AM
Dear Mrs Mano

Just a quick question - in the above recipe - lentils means "Thuvar dal" right ?

Regards

Ramanan

tastemakers
27th April 2005, 12:51 AM
Hello Mrs Mano,

I would like to clarify if Ricotta cheese and paneer are the same. Can we substitute it for paneer in gravies. Do we have to bake Ricotta cheese , before we use it

thanks for the response

priya

tomato
27th April 2005, 09:38 AM
paneer cheese = panir cheese = Indian curd cheese Notes: Indians like to serve this bland fresh cheese with spinach or peas. Use within a few days. Substitutes: cubes of firm tofu OR feta cheese (much saltier) To make your own: Bring one gallon of whole milk to a boil, stirring regularly. (It's best to use a double boiler to avoid scalding the milk. Don't use an aluminum or cast iron pan.) Remove from heat, then gradually add lemon or lime juice until the mixture curdles (about 3-4 tablespoons). Cover, and let the mixture sit for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth-lined colander and allow the curds to drain. Rinse the curds with water and allow to drain some more, then fold the cloth around the cheese and use a weighted plate to press more moisture out of it for a few hours or until it becomes firm.

For more details refer to

http://www.foodsubs.com/Chefresh.html

I have sucessfully substituted firm tofu (also refered to as tau kwa) for paneer. But when using tofu u need to drain it well and press it in several layers of kitchen towels. After this u can cut it into cubes and shallow/stir fry it with a tsp of ghee. Tofu in itself is quite bland, a tsp of ghee help make it more flavourful. Then u can add to the curry of ur choice.
You could also marinate tofu in masala paste and grill it like u would 'paneer tikka'

Pammi Randhawa
27th April 2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Yesterday night we had pepper chicken brought in by a friend from a eatery.
wud u please lemme know the recipe?
Thanx in advance

Mrs.Mano
27th April 2005, 04:26 PM
[tscii:5c1cb815f6]Dear Tatstemakers!

I regret for my delayed response. I have searched in my files for a suitable recipe with ladies finger which goes well with Chappathi. But I couldn’t find one. I have already posted a recipe of ladies finger named as “vendaikkai aviyal” which goes very well with chappathi. It is in my attachment of recipes. Here is also a link for “ladies finger” recipes. Hope this will be helpful.
http://www.udupipages.com/recipe/lady.html
I am posting here a recipe which is very suitable for Chappathies and roties.
SPICY EGG CURRY:
Ingredients:
Eggs-2
Green gram- 1/2 cup
Onion-2 [finely chopped]
Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
Chopped green chillies- 2 tsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Procedure:
Wash the green gram in water and boil it with 4 cups of water and the turmeric powder. When the dal is cooked to its 3/4th, add the chopped onion, tomato, green chilies, chilli powder and the coriander leaves. Cook for 10 minutes on a medium fire. Heat a small kadai and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the fennel seeds. When they become lightly brown, add this to the vegetables. Add the shredded coconut and cook for a few more minutes. The curry should not be thick. It must be a little watery. Now break the eggs and add them to the curry one by one in a circular motion. Close with a lid and cook for 10 minutes on medium fire. Now mix the curry well and spicy egg curry is ready to serve.
You can see a fine explanation about Ricotta cheese in the following link. You can substitute soya bean curd [Tofu] which is fat-free and healthier.
. http://homecooking.about.com/cs/cheeseinformation/a/ricotta.htm

[/tscii:5c1cb815f6]

Mrs.Mano
27th April 2005, 04:33 PM
Dear Indu!
You can store pulses, spices and rice in air tight plastic boxes as well as in glass jars. Please make sure beforehand whether the bottle or box had been washed and dried well. If we use them with a clean spoon, then there will be no bugs.

Inimai
27th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I tried your somasi and thattai recipes and it was a big hit. Kudos for your work!

Thanks a lot!

tastemakers
27th April 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi Tomato

Thanks for the explanation on paneer

priya

tastemakers
27th April 2005, 07:10 PM
Hello Mrs Mano

Thank you very much for the recipies . I am going to try them today

Priya

BKJIGNA
27th April 2005, 10:00 PM
I am new to this site ..I stumbled on this site yesterday and found it so interesting that since yesterday i have spend hours in different groups. really it is so interesting site and all groups..

can anybody please send me collection of Mrs Mano's recipie on jigna5@hotmail.com
also if any of you have collections from other groups i will aprreciate your help..

sjeya
27th April 2005, 10:33 PM
Can somebody send me Mrs.Mano's recipes to shebaj@hotmail.com
Thank you,

Mrs.Mano
27th April 2005, 10:54 PM
Dear Pammi Randhawa!

Thank you very much for the compliments. This kind of appreciation always inspires me to concentrate on my work with much enthusiasm and dedication.
About kalpasi- it looks like a dried flower. It has a strong garam masala flavour.

About pepper chicken recipe- I have already posted it and it is in my attachment. For you, I am posting here another recipe of pepper chicken.
PEPPER CHICKEN-II:
Ingredients:
Chicken pieces-1 kilo
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes- 1/2 cup
Coarse pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 5tbsp+ 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Fry the following ingredients in a tsp of oil and then grind them to a fine paste:
Garlic flakes [small] - 10
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Peppercorns- 2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Powder the following:
Cinnamon pieces-1 tbsp,
Cardamom-5,
Cloves-5
Procedure:
Heat a kadai and pour the remaining oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the onion and the tomato. Fry them well until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Then add the powders except pepper powder, ground masala and the chicken pieces with enough salt. Cook the chicken on medium fire until they are cooked well. At the last stage add the pepper powder and the curry leaves and cook for a few minutes.

Mrs.Mano
27th April 2005, 10:55 PM
Dear PR!
I felt happy to know that you have got a delicious sambar! Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Mrs.Mano
27th April 2005, 10:56 PM
Dear Mr.Ramanan!
Yes. Lentils and thuar dal are the same.

Mrs.Mano
27th April 2005, 10:58 PM
Dear Inimai!
I am glad that you have got good results with thattai and somasi. Thank you very much for the feedback.

rajsand
28th April 2005, 03:05 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano

Great job ..really appreciate your effort
I could not get your recipes posted at the very beginning so, could you please send me the entire collection of your recipes to

rajsandhome@yahoo.com

Thankyou
Sandhya

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 11:15 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
u r a dear . I never thot that u wud be so quick.
ur recipe is very different from what I cook. We have Murg Kaali Mirch but the difference in process and ingredients is evident.
I will try this one out this Sunday and let u know.
Thanx once again for ur time.

pammi

tomato
28th April 2005, 06:33 PM
[tscii:a8171fd102]Dear Mrs. Mano,

Came across the following recipe from ur collection.
----------------------------------------------
SNAKE GOURD KOOTTU-III
Ingredients:
Snake gourd- ½ kilo, lentils- a handful, split green gram- a handful, mustard seeds- 1 tsp, turmeric powder- 1tsp, shredded coconut- a handful, sambar onions[finely chopped]- ½ cup, crushed tomato-1 cup, coriander powder- 1 tsp, peppercorns- 1 tsp, cumin seeds-1 tsp, chopped coriander leaves- a handful, enough oil, salt to taste, chilli powder- 1tsp
Procedure:
Cook the dhals in a pressure cooker. Grind the coconut with the peppercorns and the cumin seeds finely. Heat a kadaia nd pour 4 tbsp of oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the onion and the tomato with the turmeric powder and fry them until the oil floats on the surface. Add the sliced snake gourds and cook them with the powders, enough salt and a little water. When they are almost cooked, add the ground paste and mix well. Cook for a few minutes. Add the coriander leaves and mix well.

------------------------------------------

Would like t give it a try. I would like to know whether the final consistency should be like sambhar or is it a dryish kind of dish? What is this koottu served with- rice/chapathi? Pls bear with me coz i'm new to tamil styles of 'koottu'.
We do prepare something called 'koot' but only with yam and bitergourd. The koot we prepare is a kind of fresh pickles which lasts only for 2-3 days that too if refrigerated.
But I see a lot of 'Koottu' recipe in this forum using a variety of veggies, thats why i'm curious to know.

Anyone who knows abt Tamil style 'koottu' pls feel free to enlighten me.

[/tscii:a8171fd102]

deepali128
28th April 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,

i came across ur thread it was gr8! i missed that thread as i joined very late. is it possible for u send ur receipe collection. i am eager to try ur receipes.r u not thinking of new starting a new thread? it would a pleasure.

regards
deepali

luz
28th April 2005, 09:46 PM
hi mrs mano, i double checked the recepiecollection that i have which was sent by one of the good hubber but i don't find the cashew nut burfi recepie in that. can u kindly repost it when ever time permits?thanking you

apujittu
28th April 2005, 10:22 PM
Hi

apujittu
28th April 2005, 10:25 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I have a doubt is KALPASi & star anise are the same....

apujittu
29th April 2005, 07:33 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
I know pongal is the easiest of all, but it is sometimes tricky too. I have served pongal to my Husband in all its form right from porridge style(soon after marriage i didn't know to make it) to quite good one toos. But i was never satisfied as i wanted the Restaurant style!. Yesterday I tried your recipe , I should really tell you,It came class. I used pressure cooker instead of direct vessel(which gives better taste). But still the taste was the same.Thank you so much.

Mrs.Mano
29th April 2005, 08:15 PM
Hello Sandhya, Suganya and Sjeya!
I have just sent the attachment of my recipes for you!
Hello BKJigna!
My mail with the attachment of recipes has returned back to me with a failure notice.

Mrs.Mano
29th April 2005, 08:16 PM
[tscii:46e6763404]Dear Tomato!
The final consistency of ‘koottu’ will be like a gravy. ‘koottu’ means the addition of 1 or more vegetables in a dish’. It goes well with rice-particularly with ‘pepper, vaththal and puli kuzhambu varieties’. It may be taken as a side dish with chappathi also.

[/tscii:46e6763404]

Mrs.Mano
29th April 2005, 08:16 PM
Hello Deepali!
If you inform here yr Email address, then it will be possible for me to send you the recipes attachment.

Mrs.Mano
29th April 2005, 08:18 PM
Hello Luz!
Here I am re-posting the recipe of Chashew nut burfi. It is there in my attachment after the recipe of BIITER GOURD PODIMAS.

CASHEW NUT BURFI:
Ingredients:
Raw cashew nuts- 1 cup
Sugar- 2 cups
Saffron- a pinch
Ghee-1/2 cup
Milk- 2tbsp
Method:
Powder the cashew nuts first and then grind them to a paste by adding the milk gradually. Heat a kadai and place the ground paste with the sugar in it. Cook on a slow fire. Add the ghee little by little until all the ghee is absorbed in it. Add the saffron and cook until the sweet leaves all the sides and a shining appear on the surface. Pour it on a greased plate and when cooled cut it into desired pieces.

Mrs.Mano
29th April 2005, 08:20 PM
Dear apujittu
Kalpasi and star anise are different spices. Kalpasi is like a dried flower with an irregular shape which has black and white colours in it. Star anise is in reddish brown colour and looks like exactly as a flower.
I felt very happy to know that you have prepared a delicious pongal. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

rajsand
29th April 2005, 08:41 PM
Thankyou Mrs. Mano I have received the document of recipes .

Thankyou
Sandhya

deepali128
29th April 2005, 08:51 PM
hi Mrs. Mano,

my id is deepalisoumil@yahoo.com

thanx

deepali128
29th April 2005, 08:55 PM
Mrs Mano,

is it a kaju katali ( u mentioned kaju burfi) receipe? i love kaju katali. i will try. i tried once before. it was very smoft i couldn't bring stiffness.
can u pls tell me what to do in such case.
thanx.

deepali

Sowmya
29th April 2005, 09:45 PM
Hello everybody..
I am sowmya.I really appreciate Mrs.Mano and team for the excellent job.I would like to get Mrs.Mano's recipes.I would appreciate it if one of you could send across the same to my email id..
lakshmyanand@yahoo.com.
Thanx in advance and looking forward to be an active member on this thread.
Regds
Sowmya

samika
29th April 2005, 11:45 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

I tried the MEEN KUZHAMBU from your recipe archives. It was very good. I am sure the leftovers are going to taste even better :P

Thanks
Samika

luz
30th April 2005, 12:06 AM
hi mrs mano, thanks for reposting the recepie. i will try it and post the result. as u said that it was next to bittergourd podimas i even checked for that , couldn't find that also. so pleeease can u said the collection at my id latha_rajendran@hotmail.com. for i don't want to miss ur recepies cos i like them. thankingyou

kavithasenthil
30th April 2005, 12:47 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Tried ennai kathirika kuzhambu. It was Yummyyy. had with chapathi. Thks a lot!!!

Mrs.Mano
30th April 2005, 08:13 PM
Hello Samika!
Thanks a lot for the feed back on meen kuzhambu.

Mrs.Mano
30th April 2005, 08:13 PM
Hello Kavitha senthil!
Thank you very much for the feedback on ennai kaththarikkai kuzhambu. Normally it is a best side dish for briyani varieties in Tamilnadu.

Mrs.Mano
30th April 2005, 08:16 PM
Hello Deepali!
If I could find a recipe of cashew nut burfi which could be a little hard to cut into squares, I will post the same soon! I have just sent to you the attachment of my recipes.

deepali128
30th April 2005, 09:50 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

thanx a lot for sending me ur collection. u are gr8!

deepali

a_gopinathan
30th April 2005, 10:36 PM
Can some one send me Mrs Mano's recepie collections, Please?
Thanks in advance. My email id is a_gopinathan@yahoo.com :D

ruby
1st May 2005, 09:15 AM
Can someone please send me Mrs Mano recipes,I would really appreciate it,Thanks
My email id ruby7girl@yahoo.com

ruby
1st May 2005, 09:20 AM
Mrs mano,I see lot of rave reviews about your recipes,you must be really good.keep up the good work

Kals_Shiv
2nd May 2005, 07:57 PM
Hi,

This is Kalyani. I've just started experimenting with my cooking and I guess loads of good recipes have been posted in this site. Mrs. Mano, couple u please send me ur recipes to my email id itskals@yahoo.com ? Thanks in advance.

Kalyani

sangii77
2nd May 2005, 10:54 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

iam looking for a recipe thats a main accompaniment of mutton biriyani made by muslims. the main ingriedient is brinjal and I think mustard plays a predominant role in imparting a slightly bitter flavor to this gravyish side dish...some one told me the name is "kathrika kattah"... some even suggested bhagara baingan..i tried the recipe; it was good but not exactly the same. I donno how to explain but if you go to triplicane or the area near mosques in luz church Road /Kutchery Road in Madras there are many biriyani shops and they serve it with this side dish. Hope you can help me out with the recipe.

The recipes have been posted to ruby7girl@yahoo.com, itskals@yahoo.com, a_gopinathan@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Sangeetha.

Sowmya
3rd May 2005, 12:20 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Received your recipe collection.. thanx for the same.Can you please post the recipe for Pavakai podimas?
Thanx
Regds
Sowmya

kavithasenthil
3rd May 2005, 02:38 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

iam looking for a recipe thats a main accompaniment of mutton biriyani made by muslims. the main ingriedient is brinjal and I think mustard plays a predominant role in imparting a slightly bitter flavor to this gravyish side dish...some one told me the name is "kathrika kattah"... some even suggested bhagara baingan..i tried the recipe; it was good but not exactly the same. I donno how to explain but if you go to triplicane or the area near mosques in luz church Road /Kutchery Road in Madras there are many biriyani shops and they serve it with this side dish. Hope you can help me out with the recipe.

The recipes have been posted to ruby7girl@yahoo.com, itskals@yahoo.com, a_gopinathan@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Sangeetha.

Hello Sangii,how r u? I think u r looking for ennai kathirika. Mrs. Mano has posted it. I tried it and that one even taste very good with chapathi and plain rice. But mrs.Mano suggested to have it with biriyani. So try that.

tomato
3rd May 2005, 09:40 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried Potato fry [microwave]. It was spicy and delicious and so quick and easy to prepare. The best part is it uses so little oil and still come out tasty. Whereas when we cook potatoes on stove top the potatoes will stick to the bottom of the vessel if we use less oil.
I urge fellow hubber to give this dish a try.

BKJIGNA
3rd May 2005, 11:58 AM
can someone plmease send me Mrs.Manoo's collection of recipies on
bkjigna@rediffmail.com ...

thanks in advance

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 12:09 PM
Hello BKJIGNA,
You can download all recipes of Mrs. Mano from following place.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/Tamilnadu_delicacies.doc
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/corrected_recipes_of_Mrs_Mano.doc

Save it on desktop.

Nichiro

tomato
4th May 2005, 09:10 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Could you please post the recipe of 'Plum Cake'. The cake I'm talking abt is a dark brown, rich fruit cake with a lot of nuts, cherries and raisins in it. (not really sure abt plums :roll: ) It is available in most bakeries in Karnataka. I used to love it as a kid ( and I still like it now). I have searched for this cake recipe in a lot of baking books, but none seem to have the rich brown colour.
Appreciate it if you could help me on this.

Regards,
tomato.

Mrs.Mano
4th May 2005, 12:00 PM
Hello Nichiro!
Thanks a lot for posting the links for my recipes. It will be very helpful for the hubbers
who wish to have them.

Mrs.Mano
4th May 2005, 12:00 PM
Hello Ruby!
Thank you very much for the encouragement. You can see the links above for my recipes.

Mrs.Mano
4th May 2005, 12:01 PM
Hello Sangeetha!
As Kavitha Senthil informed, the ENNAI KATHTHARIKKAI CURRY is a fine accompaniment for the varieties of briyanis. I learnt this recipe from a muslim friend some 25 years back. This recipe is in my recipes collection.

Mrs.Mano
4th May 2005, 12:05 PM
Dear Sowmya!
Here I am re-posting my recipe, PAKALKAI PODIMAS for you!
BITTERGOURD PODIMAS [PAKAL KAI PODIMAS]:

Ingredients:
Big Bitter gourds-3
Bengal garm-1/2 cup
Shredded coconut- a handful
Green chillies-2
Red chillies-2
Fennel seeds- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Split black gram- 1 tsp
Tomato-1 cup [crushed finely]
Onion- 1 cup [chopped finely]
Chopped coriander leaves-2tbsp
Enough oil
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Method:
Soak the Bengal gram in water for 1 hour and then grind with the coconut, 1sp fennel seeds and the chillies to a coarse paste. Heat a kadai and pour 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the ground paste with 1/4sp of salt and fry on a medium fire until they become like breadcrumbs and crisp. Cut the bitter gourds into small pieces and then fry in hot oil until they change their colour and take them away. Drain the excessive oil by keeping them on a kitchen paper towel. Again heat a kadai and pour 2tbsp of oil. When it becomes hot add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the black gram and the fennel seeds. Then add the chopped onions and the tomatoes with the turmeric powder. Cook on medium fire until the onions and the tomatoes are well cooked and the oil floats on the surface. Now add the fried bitter gourd pieces, cooked Bengal gram and the coriander leaves with little salt. Mix well and cook for some minutes until every thing is well blended.

Mrs.Mano
4th May 2005, 12:15 PM
I am posting again a few recipes on PALAKKAI [TENDER JACKFRUIT].

PALAKKAI KURMA:

Ingredients:
Small tender jack fruit- 1
Bengal gram- a handful
Cinnamon- 2 pieces
Cloves-2
Chopped onions- 1 cup
Crushed tomatoes- 1 1/2 cups
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Oil- 5 tbsp+ 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Fry the following ingredients in a tsp of oil to a light brown colour and then grind to a fine paste:
Coconut- 1/2 [shredded]
Green chillies- 4
Gram dal- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp
Small onions- 8
Cashew nut- 5
Small Garlic flakes-6
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Method:
Clean the tender jackfruit and cut into 1 inch cubes. Cook them with the Bengal gram. Drain the extra water completely. Heat a kadai and pour 5 tbsp oil. When it becomes hot, add the cloves and the cinnamon pieces and fry for a few minutes. Then add the chopped onion and fry them until they become brown. Now add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and the coriander leaves and cook for a few more minutes until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the vegetables, cooked Bengal gram, ground vegetables and the coriander powder with enough salt and 4 cups of water. Cook the kurma for some minutes until they are well blended.

PALAKKAI VADAI-2:
Ingredients:
Small tender jackfruit- 1
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Gram dal- a handful
Small onions- 10
Garlic flakes- 4
Poppy seeds- 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Enough oil
Salt to taste:
Procedure:
Clean and wash the palakkai and cut into small pieces as it was explained in the previous recipes. Cook them and then mash them with the above ingredients and enough salt into a thick mixture. Do not add water when grinding these things. Make small balls, flatten them and fry the balls in hot oil to a golden brown colour.

Mrs.Mano
4th May 2005, 12:17 PM
Dear Tomato!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on microwave potato fry. Usually roast varieties can be cooked very nicely in microwave oven only. You can get 100% results on some sweet preparations also.
About the plum cake- it is the Christmas cake which has all the ingredients you have said. Normally, the plum cake does not have plums in it. If you wish to go for a try on Christmas cake, I can post a very good recipe on it.

BKJIGNA
4th May 2005, 12:46 PM
Dear Nichiro

Thank u so much got the collection. Thank u Mrs. Manoo for nice work...Keep it up. I tried Gajar Ka Halwa in Microwave turned out very very nice and its very easy to make before this i never tried to cook in microwave but ur one recipie encouraged me to learn to cook in microwave..thank u so much...

I have question for Mrs.Manoo or anybody who knows about this.."Is it safe to cook in Microwave"

Thanks and greeting of love to all
BKJigna

Urmila
4th May 2005, 04:32 PM
Hi friends,
Even our family, have stopped using microwave for nearly a year now, because food cooked in it absorbs the radiation, and is extremely unhealthy ! We can even taste that the coffee/tea made in gas is more tastier; Even when steaming vegetables, you can taste the difference. The microwaves rapidly absorb the moisture in the food, leaving it very dry [maybe that's why the roasts come out very well ] and also destroying the nutrients. To also reheat the samosas / patties/ rolls etc. which sometimes we buy from shops for evening snacks, I DON'T use the microwave, only the pan on the stove.

If there was absolutely nothing harmful and it was very safe , then why has a whole nation [Russia] completely banned it? They call them 'Radiation Ovens' , by the way. After reading countless such articles on different sites, magazines, we are not at all convinced that microwaves are harmless . Even a couple of my neighbours have sold their micro. ovens, and are not regretting because they haven't lost anything beneficial to health !! The only merit in using these ovens, was the time-saved, but just a few minutes more to cook tastier / with natural flavours and goodness, is anyday preferrable. Just try not microwaving anything for a week, and you'll feel the difference.

Cheers,
Urmila.

Sowmya
4th May 2005, 05:49 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thanks a lot for your prompt response.Will try Pvakai podimas soon.
Regds
Sowmya

umasas2002
5th May 2005, 01:11 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Can you pls post the recipe for the "christmas cake". I am so eager to try it. I just love those christmas cakes.

Thanks In advance,
Uma

tomato
5th May 2005, 08:56 AM
Yes Mrs. mano please post the recipe of the christsmas cake u have. Would like to give it a try.
Just a consern though: In case brandy or rum is one of the ingredients can you pls give a sustitute for it. I have some reserves for using brandy or rum. Read in a book on baking that apricot juice could be used instead of rum, do u think it is a good idea?
Thanx in advance.

Nichiro
5th May 2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Tomato,

If I can reply for Mrs. Mano

You can try RUM ESSENCE or BRANDY ESSENCE.
I remember to have seen the essences in Madras.

tomato
5th May 2005, 04:51 PM
Thank You Nichiro. But I doubt if I'll get these essences here in Singapore. I'm sure people will go for the real stuff here and not bother with the essence. :wink:
And logically speaking I shopuldn't really mind using rum/brandy since I don't mind devouring the bakery cake. But the thing is it would be a bit embarrassing to buy brandy/rum. Also I more prob is what do I do with the remaining in case I do go and buy? (Gulp it down on a friday night? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

R
5th May 2005, 06:07 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

I was reading about health portion in a magazine and they have mentioned a word called "sotrupai". Can you explain what is it?

Thanks and Bye.

indu
6th May 2005, 12:53 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Can we try your recipe for microwave carrot halwa and paalgova on the gas stove itself, and get the same excellent results ? Should some extra ingredient be added or any other alternative is there to get the same great taste, without using microwave ?
Respond at leisure, no hurry. Thanks.

srjan
6th May 2005, 09:17 AM
Hi,
Can someone send me Mrs.Mano's Recipe Collection. My email id is shailashree@hotmail.com.
Thanks in advance.

Pammi Randhawa
6th May 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Gonna try Pepper Chicken this week end.
Hope it turns out well.
By the way, do I use Zatka or Halal chicken ?
We prefer Zatka.

apujittu
7th May 2005, 01:23 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,
I tried your Mutton Kulambu II with vegetables.My hubby liked it. I used raddish & brinjal for the vegetable ,but I found that the kulambu lost it non-veg flavour. My doubt is have I added the correct vegi for it, or should I add Mutton more than Vegi?.
And I want to know the basic difference between Kurma & Kulambu.
Thank you in advance.

apujittu
7th May 2005, 01:25 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Can you post the Recipe for Maida biscuits! My friend told me that it is very easy using the oven.

newbee
7th May 2005, 01:26 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

I bought a raw papaya the other day. My husband keeps telling me that he had eaten a kuzhambu which uses green papaya and that it is very tasty.

Please give me a recipe for this

apujittu
7th May 2005, 01:27 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,
Can Paneer be baked instead of being fried !. In recipes like Palak paneer & so on..

Mrs.Mano
7th May 2005, 11:23 PM
[tscii:2837935286]Hello BKJigna!

You would have noticed Urmila’s points. Even Mr.Hemant has written about its side-effects in his previous website, I think. As Urmila said, Russia banned it and then it lifted the ban after 10 years. This is an issue which is going on debate for years without any firm result. I have also learned that it causes decrease in haemoglobin and increase in cholesterol. But nothing is proved and that is why many countries are encouraging the sale of them.
I occasionally cook in the microwave oven –using it to prepare occasional sweets and sometimes roasts. But I am reducing the use of it gradually.
You can go through this link which has the facts on microwave ovens.
http://home.planet.nl/~holtj019/GB/Microwave.html

[/tscii:2837935286]

Mrs.Mano
7th May 2005, 11:25 PM
[tscii:2097b4e49b]Hello Uma and Tomato!
Here is the recipe for Christmas cake. This is from a book given by my close relative which I treasure very much.
CHRISTMAS CAKE:
Ingredients:
Butter- 8 ozs
Brown sugar- 10 ozs
Eggs- 6
Flour- 10 ozs
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Cinnamon powder- 1 tsp
Nutmeg pr- 1 tsp
Raisins- 8 ozs
Currants- 8 ozs
Mixed peel- 4 ozs
Sultanas- 1 lb
Cherries- 4 ozs
Grated rind of 1 lemon or orange
Sherry or brandy- 2 tsps
Procedure:
Cream the butter and sugar well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Add sifted dry ingredients and then prepared fruit and rind. Lastly add the sherry. Bake the cake mixture in a prepared tin [8 inches square] to 3 ½ to 4 hours at 125 to 140 deg. C.
Do not forget to mix the dry fruits with a little flour and keep them like that for a few minutes. Then you can add them to the cake mixture.

[/tscii:2097b4e49b]

Mrs.Mano
8th May 2005, 12:33 AM
[tscii:56309afb96]Hello R!
I couldn’t understand what does that word’ sotrupai’ mean. I never heard anything like it.

[/tscii:56309afb96]

Mrs.Mano
8th May 2005, 12:34 AM
Dear Indu!
We can try the carrot halwa in the gas stove itself. You will get the same taste. But I am not sure about the palgova. I will try and then tell you after that.

Mrs.Mano
8th May 2005, 12:34 AM
[tscii:9474042023]Hello Pammi!
Here so many people are using Halal chicken. But, what does ‘zatka’ mean?
[/tscii:9474042023]

Mrs.Mano
8th May 2005, 12:43 AM
Hello apujittu !

If you want to prepare the mutton kuzhambu with vegetables, you can prefer drumsticks and potato which will enhance the non-veg flavour. Radish always dominates the curries. And you should not add more vegetables in a mutton kuzhambu. For 1 kilo mutton, 2 drumsticks or 2 potatoes are enough.

Are you asking the difference between a non-veg kuzhambu and kuruma?
A non-veg kuzhambu is always having so many spices where as kuruma is having only less spices-fennel seeds, coriander powder, poppy seeds and gram dal. Coconut is the main ingredient in kurumas and less coconut is used mostly in non-veg kuzhambu varieties.

About maida biscuits-actually maida is being used in every biscuit preparation in India. So which type of biscuit do you want? Have you asked microwave biscuits?

About baked paneer-yes. You can bake paneer and then add them to the curries you want.
Here is a link for you to see:
http://www.recipesource.com/misc/hints/00/rec0012.html

R
8th May 2005, 02:10 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

About sotrupai, give you the detail what I read in that magazine.

In order to stop the tooth decay from spreading, take 1 portion of pepper powder and the equal portion of sotrupai and powder them. Use this powder to brush teeth and the water from the decayed tooth will come out and this is how, it will not spread any further.

I too have not heard about this sotrupai before this. Can you get back to me on the same?

Thank you and bye.

indu
8th May 2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for responding Mrs.Mano, I will try the recipes shortly & tell you the result. I have another doubt regarding the grinding process for khasakhasa. How to ensure that all the particles are finely ground, both for dry powders and for wet masalas like in kurma etc. I always have quite a few granules , which never grind properly and ruin the texture and taste of the dish. And how is this khasakhasa beneficial for health ?
Thanks,
Indu.

deepali128
9th May 2005, 03:33 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,

u mentioned Sultanas 1lb in ur cake receipe. what is that? is that cake flour? can u explain?

deepali

kavithasenthil
9th May 2005, 03:49 AM
also whta is currant?

Kavitha Ravi
9th May 2005, 01:19 PM
Dear Kavitha, raisins,currants,and sultanas are all diffierent types of dried grapes. Kavitha Ravi

apujittu
10th May 2005, 12:54 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Thank you so much for replying to all my Queries? Regarding Maida biscuits, I was talking about the ones they use in mixtures (back in india they call the biscuits used in mixture like that) they are diamond shaped, they usually fry it in oil. I need the basic recipe for this and I also wanted to know whether instead of frying it in oil, whethere these Maida biscuits can be baked, not in microven but in normal ovens.

Thanks for posting the links on Paneer too!

sk
10th May 2005, 03:43 AM
Hi Apujittu,

For making maida biscuits,prepare a dough just like chappathi dough using maida flour.Roll it just like chapathi and cut it into diamond shape and deep fry.I generally use red chilli powder along with the dough for karam taste.

sk

kavithasenthil
10th May 2005, 03:57 AM
Thankyou so much Kavitha Ravi.

gvb
10th May 2005, 06:52 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
How are u ?Thanx for ur recipe on aloo bonda..I appreciate it..I have been absent from this thread for some time..Looks like there is a lot of catching up to do..

Thanx and regards,
Suganthi

indu
10th May 2005, 04:10 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made 'Muttai Dosai' [spicy & 'kicking' taste] and 'Spring Dosai' yesterday and it was simply superb ! My kids enjoyed esp. the spring dosai, calling it as 'Pizza Dosai' ; it is a very nice way of giving vegetables to kids.

Thanks a lot for your fantastic recipes,
Indu.

sk
10th May 2005, 11:26 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,

I made urundai kuzhambu yesterday,it was very tasty..thanx a lot...
Can you plzzz post the recipe for kara adai and also the sidedish.

Thanx a lot
sk

Urmila
11th May 2005, 01:28 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Can you please give tips on how to get the dryness in any greens [palak, keerai etc.] poriyals ? Always the palak poriyal I make, is wet and not dry , udhir udhiri. I move the greens to the side and let the excess water evaporate. But more I do this, more water comes, and even the palak's colour becomes very darker. Please suggest a solution for this . Also, when using egg whites for omelettes or other recipes, how to store the egg yolks and for what dishes can I use them ?
Hope it is not a trouble for you, do reply when you have free time .
Thanks in advance,
Urmila.

Noodles
11th May 2005, 11:53 AM
Mrs. Mano.

Could u pls post the recipe for "BUTTER CHICKEN"

Thanx
Noodles

Noodles
11th May 2005, 12:43 PM
mrs. Mano,

Since u r from Sharjah, U might have tasted chicken Kadai(Form Pakistani Restaurents) Can u post the recipe to get the same taste!

Noodles!

malligai
11th May 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,
Can Paneer be baked instead of being fried !. In recipes like Palak paneer & so on..

Apujittu,

I tried baking paneer once..but it is not the same..it was dry and 'rubbery'..

gvb
11th May 2005, 11:32 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I tried ur peerkangai kosthu and it tasted great..can i make peerkangai kootu the same way as chow chow kootu?..I have ur recipe of enna kathrikai curry which got raves from my family but not the kuzhambu?Please tell me where i can get it..And lastly i wud love if u cud post the recipe for bisi bele bhath..I usually make Mallika bhadrinaath 's version of it but am very eager to see ur take on it.. :D

Thanks and regards,
Suganthi

Mrs.Mano
12th May 2005, 12:46 AM
Dear newbee!

To my knowledge, there is no kuzhambu variety using papaya. There are gravy and curry varieties only.

Mrs.Mano
12th May 2005, 12:46 AM
[tscii:865a1d07fc]Hello R!
I think it is “sotruppu” which means table salt.
[/tscii:865a1d07fc]

Mrs.Mano
12th May 2005, 12:47 AM
[tscii:6e30d2ab0b]Dear Indu!

It is a bit difficult to grind kuskasa[poppy seeds] into a fine powder. If you grind it with some spices like fennel seeds, then you can get a slightly coarse powder. To get a paste, you must soak it in a little warm water for 30 minutes and then grind. If you want to add in kuruma varieties, you can grind straightly it with coconut and green chillies. You can definitely get a nice paste. Other wise just fry them in a little oil for a few minutes and then grind. You can get a fine paste.
Kasakasa is very cool and its paste removes the ‘podugu’ in the scalp. We can make gheer with kasakasa alone and it gives a cooling effect to the body. This gheer[payasam is famous in some parts of Tamilandu.

And thanks a lot for the feedback on muttai dosai and spring dosai. I am very happy that yr kids have enjoyed them very much.

[/tscii:6e30d2ab0b]

Mrs.Mano
12th May 2005, 12:48 AM
[tscii:71320b026a]Dear Urmila!
When cooking the greens like palak and Indian keerai varieties, do not add water to cook them. They have themselves enough water to be cooked. Just sprinkle a few drops of water and cook on slow fire. You can get definitely dry and greenish curry. The green colour should not change. When the keerai is cooked for a long time, then its flavour and taste will disappear.
Regarding the egg yolks- you can store it in a small bowl for a few hours in a fridge. You can add it to the egg curry which I have posted a few days back or in any chicken kuzhambu varieties. I usually apply it to the hair and wash the hair after some time. As it has high cholesterol, I don’t prefer to eat it much.
[/tscii:71320b026a]

Mrs.Mano
12th May 2005, 12:48 AM
[tscii:6ca88d913c]Dear apujittu!
I will post the recipe of “Maida biscuit” tomorrow!
[/tscii:6ca88d913c]

sjeya
12th May 2005, 01:22 AM
I tried the MASALA KOZHI KUZAMBU yesterday (without the Masala I as I wanted to avoid the coconut) it was still very good!
However, I have a question - curious to know why you ask for onion to be seasoned twice - finally, you ask for onion to seasoned with aniseed and curry leaves and coriander leaves and added to the chicken - why do we need to season onions again? Does it to anything different?

svasu_ani
12th May 2005, 03:45 AM
Dear Newbee,

My aunt makes papaya sambar. For this she uses the raw/green papaya like anyother vegetable boils them and makes sambar.

Anitha

tastemakers
12th May 2005, 06:43 PM
Hello

Does anybody know what is Ada pradhaman . Please can anybody post the recepie.

Thanks in advance

Priya

Mrs.Mano
12th May 2005, 08:03 PM
[tscii:c4590fbfb2]Dear apujittu!

Here is the recipe of Maida biscuit for you!

MAIDA BISCUIT:
Ingredients:
Milk -1 cup,
sugar- 1 cup
Ghee-1 cup
Maida [plain flour] - 1 1/2 cup
Wheat flour- 1/2 cup
Enough water
Enough oil to fry
Procedure:
Place the ghee and the sugar in a broad bowl and beat them with the fingers or with the help of a beater for a few minutes. Then add the milk and mix well. Then add the flours and mix well to form soft dough. If you need more flour, you can add enough plain flour to form the dough. It must be like chappathi dough. Then roll it to a chappathi with a thickness of ¼ cm. Cut it in to small squares and deep fry them in hot oil to a golden brown colour.
These can be prepared only by deep frying in hot oil.

[/tscii:c4590fbfb2]

Kz
12th May 2005, 08:24 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried the maida parotta recipe and it came out good, except i had some trouble rolling out the parotta. as i roll out each ball, it stretches and then immediately comes back to original shape, that is it becomes small again and the sides are thick. so even though i stretched it became small. but after cooking the taste was good. but is this normal or did i do any mistake? pls do give some tips on how to roll it out and cook them on tava .

Thankyou.
kz

Kz
13th May 2005, 12:53 AM
Mrs.Mano,
Can u please post some dessert recipes. I have tried payasams and other sweets but would like to try something different.

Thankyou,
kz

umasas2002
13th May 2005, 01:56 AM
Mrs.Mano,

Thanks a lot for posting the recipe for christmas cake. will try and will give you teh feedback. Thanks a lot, you are doing a selfless service.

Uma

Inimai
13th May 2005, 06:16 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I have few queries regarding AAPPAM-II [with boiled rice and raw rice] recipe.

1. Do we need to grind the coconut along with the rices or we have to add only the coconut milk ?

2.If we keep the batter for overnight, will it ferment enough for the next day morning? ( i live in texas). Dont we need to add soda-bi-carbonate (or yeast) to the batter?

3. When do we need to add the salt to the batter? next day morning? or night itself?

4. Adding sugar(2-3 tsp.) to the batter is necessary?

Expecting your earliest reply! Thanks!

newbee
13th May 2005, 06:18 PM
Mrs. Mano,

Could you please give the curry and gravy recipes with green papaya .

Thanx

ruby
14th May 2005, 12:40 AM
Mrs Mano,Thanks for the recipes.I tried the parotta too..i had same problem mentioned earlier and also rearding murukku 2 recipe,do we have to grind the fried black gram along with rice flour?

Thanks and sorry for bugging you with questions :oops:

Kz
14th May 2005, 01:29 AM
Hi Ruby,
It is better to grind it separately. that way u get a fine powder. u can grind it separetly and keep it in fridge and later use it to make murukku. i do it that way as making all powders and seiving and then making murukus becomes tedious in one day.
kz

Mrs.Mano
14th May 2005, 09:25 PM
Hello Sjeya!

In some gravy varieties- onion is used like that-it is boiled with the chicken first, then sometimes additional quantity of onion is fried and then ground and added to give extra flavour. If you season again the onion pieces in oil and then add it to the gravy at the last stage, the result will be extra delicious! Generally, when you cook the chicken fry, if you add a little fried onion with 1/2sp pepper powder at the last stage, you can see the difference by yourself. In some gravies, if you grind the masala with 4 or 5 small onions, then it will enhance the flavour. Onions can be added 3 or 4 times at different stages to give extra flavour in different methods.

Mrs.Mano
14th May 2005, 09:26 PM
Dear Inimai!

1. In the recipe itself I have clearly mentioned that coconut should be ground with the other soaked agents.

2. The coconut will act as an activating agent and so there is no need to add soda bi carbonate. I do not know about the climate of Texas. If you doubt about it, you can add a pinch of soda bi carbonate in the batter, mix well and keep it for the whole night. But the texture will be slightly different. You have to add the salt and mix well after grinding the ingredients. There is no need to add sugar.

indu
15th May 2005, 12:27 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanks for responding on khuskhus. Like Urmila has written ,even I got wet poriyal only when cooking keerai but I NEVER even sprinkle water !! [Even salt I add only after taking down from stove].Yet the greens keep leaving the water, which I drain before serving. Should the flame be high/low for cooking ,maybe that's the mistake I'm making , can you clarify ?

Is it possible for you to post a nice recipe to get CRISP fried fish & chips, the continental favourite , popular with kids ? I've tried dozens of recipes, but though taste is fine, the outer covering of the fried fish is not at all crisp; it is more or less like eating a fish bajji only ! And even french fried potato chips, I'm not getting it crisp at all. It becomes too brown if I leave it in oil to crispen , not getting the white colour cum crispness.

Hope you can please post the recipe. Thanks & Bye.
Indu.

apujittu
15th May 2005, 08:42 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Thank you so much for posting Maida biscuit. I tried it, it turned out really well. I used only 1/2 cup of butter, and almost 3 cups of maida to get the chappathi consistency. The end result was really good.
I have a small doubt, which is better to use butter or ghee in biscuits & sweets.
Thank you !

apujittu
15th May 2005, 08:45 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
I tried your dried prawn curry it tasted so good! thank you. :)

gvb
16th May 2005, 08:14 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
can u tell me if peerkangai kootu can be prepared in the same way as chowchow kootu?I tried ur kosthu and it came out really well..Also,do u have any recipe for bisi bela bath?Please take ur time in replying.

Regards,
Suganthi

Pammi Randhawa
16th May 2005, 10:32 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Ya, the pepper chicken was as good as u can get.
My mom said I 'm gonna forget punjabi cooking soon.
Please post chilli chicken (Red coloured) curry which is dry type.
Thanx in advance.
pammi

Mrs.Mano
16th May 2005, 01:38 PM
[tscii:31294a1f21]Dear Suganthi1
I regret for the delayed reply.

Yes. You can make peerkangai koottu in the same way as we make chow chow koottu. Peerkangai always adds the extra flavour when it is added in sambar, koottu and kothsu varieties. But sometimes, there will be bitterness in some peerkangai varieties. So check its taste before cooking it.

About Bisi bela bath- I heard that the traditional Karnataka version of it has no vegetables. The main ingredients are rice, lentils and tamarind. Some people will cook rice and the lentils in equal portions. Some will add ½ or ¾ cup of lentils to 1 cup of rice. As it has so many spices, I do not like its taste. With fewer spices and without tamarind, I have posted a recipe called ‘Paruppu sadham’ previously. I have learned it form a friend so many years back. You can try it. It is a favourite dish in my household.
[/tscii:31294a1f21]

Mrs.Mano
16th May 2005, 01:42 PM
Hello Priya[tastemakers]!

For Adai pradhaman recipe, you can go through the following link. Mr.Ramadas has clearly explained about it.

http://forumhub.com/southfood/28321.21.25.30.html

Nichiro
16th May 2005, 01:52 PM
[tscii:d31e5d0049]About Bisi bela bath- I heard that the traditional Karnataka version of it has no vegetables. The main ingredients are rice, lentils and tamarind. Some people will cook rice and the lentils in equal portions. [/tscii:d31e5d0049]

Hello Mrs. Mano,

What you are refering to is BISI-BELE-HULI- ANNA.
This is Sambar sadam of Karnataka.
I take liberty to post link of Bisibelebhath recipe from my website as under.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/Ricedishes/bisibelebhath.html

Mrs.Mano
16th May 2005, 03:29 PM
[tscii:7313b15677]Hello Noodles!

Here I am posting the recipe for BUTTER CHICKEN. This one is good enough to try.

About Pak style Kadai chicken- it is in fact ‘KARHAI CHICKEN- I don’t prefer to go to Pak restaurants as there is much oil floating on almost every recipe. So I do not know the taste of Pak style kadai chicken well. If you want to have the recipe, I can post it for you here.

BUTTER CHICKEN:
Ingredients:
Chicken pieces- 1 kilo
Curd- 1 cup
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1 1/2 sp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Lime juice- 2 tbsp
Butter- 8 tbsp
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Tomato puree- 2 cups
Garam masala powder- ½ sp
Cream- 2tbsp
Chopped coriander- 2tbsp
Ginger juliennes- 1 tbsp
Butter- 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Marinate the chicken pieces with the top 6 ingredients and enough salt for an hour. Then bake in a gas oven for 15 minutes at 150 deg. C. Heat a kadai and add the butter. Immediately add the onion and fry till brown. Then add the pastes and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tomato puree, and the chilli powder with the chicken and enough salt. Cook for some minutes. When the chicken is cooked well, keep the chicken gravy at low fire for 5 minutes. Pour the cream on it, and sprinkle the garam masala, ginger juliennes, and coriander leaves. Toss the butter in the center. Keep it on slow fire for 5 minutes again and put off the fire. [/tscii:7313b15677]

Mrs.Mano
16th May 2005, 03:34 PM
[tscii:58bf64f527]Hello Mr.Hemant!

Thanks a lot for posting the recipe of ‘Bisi bele huliyanna’’ here. [/tscii:58bf64f527]

rsankar
16th May 2005, 03:55 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Could you please post the "Mysore Masala Dosai".

I wonder how to make this.

thanks in advance.

rsankar.

tastemakers
16th May 2005, 06:39 PM
hello Mrs Mano

Thank you Mrs Mano for the reply. I ll check it out

Priya

gvb
16th May 2005, 07:44 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanx for replying.

Regards,
GVB

Inimai
16th May 2005, 08:04 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for clarrifying my doubts regarding Aapam. I made aapam with Thengaipal korma for this weekend. It was a great hit.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe with us!

napolims445
16th May 2005, 08:32 PM
everyone
Please do not spoil the name of Bisibelebaath/Bisibelehulianna
People who do not know what that is refer it to as sambar rice.....
I did not expect to hear it from the pro cooks/chefs atleast.
:shock: It is not sambar rice at all. If u call that sambar rice then u should call rasam as sambar too... The ingredients vary and the proportions vary from anything else.
In the Traditional Bisibelebaath only aalo is used and u do not see a mix of vegetables..Adding vegetables just was some peoples idea to introduce more veggies in that form. even i do it sometimes when i'm lazy to cook any vegetables curry..i just add all veggies to bisibelebaath....

Nichiro
16th May 2005, 10:43 PM
everyone
:shock: It is not sambar rice at all. ....

In Kannada,

BISI=HOT
BELE=DHALL
BHATH=RICE

HULI=TAMARIND
ANNA=RICE

Potato is just one of the ingredients.
Potato came very late in Indian cuisine.
Vegetables of Indian origin must have been used prior to Potato.

Hope my understanding is correct.

Nichiro :?:

sjeya
16th May 2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for your response Mrs.Mano - will try adding onions at different stage and check it out.
Thanks again

Mrs.Mano
16th May 2005, 10:46 PM
Hello Newbee!

Here is a recipe of gravy with Papaya.
PAPPAYA TOMATO CURRY:

Ingredients:
Papaya- 250 gms
Onion-1
Garlic- 6 flakes
Cinnamon-1 piece
Peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coconut- `1/2 cup
Roasted gram dal- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Enough salt
Oil- 5 tbsp
Procedure:
Cut the papaya in to small pieces. Grind the ingredients from 2nd to 8th to a fine paste. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the ground paste with the turmeric paste and fry it on slow fire until it is well fried and the oil floats on the top. Add the papaya pieces with 1 cup of water, the chopped tomatoes and enough salt. Cook the curry on medium fire until it is well blended and the vegetable pieces are cooked well.

Mrs.Mano
16th May 2005, 10:47 PM
[tscii:a1c34c6885]Hello Ruby!

I regret for the mistake. Please take it as ‘fried black gram powder’ in the MURUKKU-II recipe.

[/tscii:a1c34c6885]

sjeya
16th May 2005, 10:49 PM
Mrs. Mano
I love the Kerala Black halwa - can you give me the recipe?
Thanks

napolims445
16th May 2005, 11:01 PM
everyone

In Kannada,

BISI=HOT
BELE=DHALL
BHATH=RICE

HULI=TAMARIND
ANNA=RICE

Potato is just one of the ingredients.
Potato came very late in Indian cuisine.
Vegetables of Indian origin must have been used prior to Potato.

Hope my understanding is correct.

Nichiro :?:

Hello Nichiro,
Its very nice of you to share ur recipes with us.
I'm a kannadiga and very well know the meaning of Bisibelebaath.
My point was not to get any explanation about the meaning but requesting people not to refer bisibelebaath as sambar rice/sadham.
If you want to refer it the wrong way How about Besan idli for dhokla. Because we also do idli in idli stand which is the form of plates one over the other. See its not that way....So please My request to you and any pro is that introduce the recipe with its right name. Only then people will know the fact about the new recipes. Otherwise it will become a wrong propaganda.
I hope u understand what i mean.

Thank you

Urmila
17th May 2005, 12:28 AM
Thank you very much Mrs.Mano, for response. Will try cooking the palak without any water, and see the result.
I have some neem-flowers a neighbour has given me but have no idea how to cook it, what dishes I can make? It started browning, so I have placed in fridge, can I use it or should i use only white flowers ? I've heard it is good for health, can you please suggest methods of using this ?
Reply at leisure,
Thanks,
Urmi.

gvb
17th May 2005, 12:48 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Tried ur seppankizhangu fry -II today and it came out very good..It took a little bit of getting used to when compared with the deep fry method..Could u please post the recipe for enna kathrika kuzhambu for me?I have made ur recipe on ennakathrika curry many times over and its a hit at home..

Thanks and regards,
Suganthi

honeydew
17th May 2005, 02:21 PM
hello mrs mano,
i saw ur tomato biriyani recipe ,i would like to try that pls tell me how to keep dumin oven and also how to do hydrabadhi dum biriyani using micro oven , i am vegetarian so pls give me vegg biriyani

tried peerkanai kothsu it was nice

regds
honey

Nichiro
17th May 2005, 02:36 PM
[quote=napolims445]everyone

If you want to refer it the wrong way How about Besan idli for dhokla. Because we also do idli in idli stand which is the form of plates one over the other. See its not that way....So please My request to you and any pro is that introduce the recipe with its right name. Only then people will know the fact about the new recipes. Otherwise it will become a wrong propaganda.

Thank you

Hello napolims445,
For your kind information, there is a dish in Tamil cooking called Sambar-sadam which is equivalant of mixed dal-bhat. In this dish, the sambar and Sadam are cooked together and called smbar sadam. Ithink Mrs. Mano has posted a recipe also.

I think it is same in Kannada dish bele-anna or Bele-Huli-Anna or Bisi-Bele-Bhath.

Bisi is the indicator of temperature.

Hope I am clear on this point.
Dhokara or Dhokla are not made from Besan but from Channa dhall and Rice. They are known as Khatta-Dhokla and also Idada.
From Besan, we prepare KHAMAN DHOKRA.

Urmila
17th May 2005, 04:51 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
It's me again, just to clarify a couple of your recipes.
Can we substitute any other vegetable for your 'Drumstick papad samosa' ? Can we omit sugar & make maida biscuit as savoury, will other proportions change?
And one doubt in yur recipe for 'Paal kozhakattai', I had eaten years back in a neighbours place, but it was shape of small balls. In your recipe, it is written like 'idiappam', like threads ! Which is correct method to make?
Bye,
Urmila.

napolims445
17th May 2005, 07:23 PM
[quote="napolims445"]everyone

Thank you

Hello napolims445,
For your kind information, there is a dish in Tamil cooking called Sambar-sadam which is equivalant of mixed dal-bhat. In this dish, the sambar and Sadam are cooked together and called smbar sadam. Ithink Mrs. Mano has posted a recipe also.

I think it is same in Kannada dish bele-anna or Bele-Huli-Anna or Bisi-Bele-Bhath.

Bisi is the indicator of temperature.

Hope I am clear on this point.
Dhokara or Dhokla are not made from Besan but from Channa dhall and Rice. They are known as Khatta-Dhokla and also Idada.
From Besan, we prepare KHAMAN DHOKRA.

Mr. Nichiro,
I did tell u in a good manner that I'm a kannadiga and do not teach me Kannada. once again LOUD AND CLEAR- I'M A KANNADIGA AND DO NOT TEACH ME KANNADA-MY MOTHER TONGUE. PERIOD.
"nanna thale BISI madabeda"

ok..haa...ok u might be right in tecnicality....but in general FYI when u say dhokla or in the hotels in karnataka and andhra and in usa when u say dhokla (it means khaman dhokla not the dhokla with chana dal and rice). Ok from now on I will call KHAMAN DHOKLA as besan idli. I can post the recipe of Besan idli if u want :lol:

next...i do have Mrs. Mano's recipe collection. The sambar sadam which she refers to is sambar sadham and not bisibelebaath as u say. U Think they r the same FOR UR KIND INFORMATION- i know the ingredients in BISIBELEBAATH MASALA POWDER and i see the recipe for sambhar sadham- except for 1-2 ingredients in the masala which r the same there r a lot more different ingredients used in BISIBELEBAATH. I have had this sambar sadham in my friends house a few times...the taste is just like sambar mixed with rice and not as bisibelebaath as U THINK.

If u still want to refer BISIBELEBAATH as sambar sadham...go ahead that just shows how pro U R..

i repeat it again example- u cannot call sambar powder as rasam powder just because it has a few similar ingredients/or are in different proportion. SAMBAR POWDER IS SAMBAR AND RASAM POWDER IS RASAM. AND THE SAME ONE CANNOT CALL KHAMAN DHOKLA AS BESAN IDLI.

Hope its clear..

Nichiro
17th May 2005, 07:47 PM
quote]

Mr. Nichiro,
I did tell u in a good manner that I'm a kannadiga and do not teach me Kannada. once again LOUD AND CLEAR- I'M A KANNADIGA AND DO NOT TEACH ME KANNADA-MY MOTHER TONGUE. PERIOD.
"nanna thale BISI madabeda.
Hope its clear..[/quote]

Dear Friend,

I think you have got me wrong.
Forgive me if you are offended.

I am just a simple cookery student and not a PRO.
Always learning new things.
Thanks for your time and space.

Nichiro

Nichiro
17th May 2005, 08:05 PM
And the point I was trying to make was,
What is sambar-sadam to Tamils ,
is Dal-Bhat to Gujaratis and,
Bisi-Bele-Bhath to kannadigas .
The only thing is that their recipes might differ.
I was probebly misunderstood due to my style of English writing.
Hope I am not mis-understood my friend.

Nichiro

Inimai
17th May 2005, 09:12 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Could you give me Mutter Panner recipe? I have tried it many times. But I want the exact taste of it as we get in the restaurant. Please help me!

Thanks!

Kz
18th May 2005, 12:56 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I would like to know a better way of storing green chillies. i bought the green chillies without knowing that i had lots in the fridge. so now i have so much and it will get spoilt. can i grind and store it as a paste will it be good?
i also have doubt abt the parotta recipe, as i try rolling them and stretching it comes back to its original shape, but the taste was good . what mistake did i make?
thankyou
kz

apujittu
18th May 2005, 02:02 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Tried your "Ennai Kaththarikai curry" Today. Turned out really well . Had done exactly as per your procedure.Thank You! :)

kavithasenthil
18th May 2005, 02:20 AM
Napolims,

In my opinion there is nothing wrong in comparing things like Nichiro. In erode and coimbatore side there is a dish called parupu sadham(Dal rice) which is similar to bisibhela bath but with out vegies. Ppl form chennai, other parts of tamilnadu didn't know much abt parupu sadam(the exact name is arisim parupu)

So lots of my friends including me at college refer them 'it is like besi bhela bhath what we get in bangalore"

If some one don't know what dhokla is..we can say it is like idli or how Nichiro states..

Hope u won't offended!

Sowmya
18th May 2005, 03:08 AM
Dear mrs.Mano
I am a vegetarian .Some of the non veg biriyani and rice recipes you have posted look very tempting...
What will be the outcome of the dish if the non veg ingredients are omitted?Will it be equally tasty?
Please let me know.

Regds
Sowmya

gvb
18th May 2005, 07:40 AM
Dear Mrs.mano,
Am wondering if u know any kurma (Vegetarian) thats goes well with biryani..My husband was telling me about "dhalcha" or "thalcha" which Muslims make for biryani..Please post any recipe u have for that..Also i had asked for enna kathrika kozhambu earlier..am eagerly waiting to try it out..

Regards,
Suganthi

Mrs.Mano
18th May 2005, 10:55 PM
[tscii:6a32119999]Dear Shankar!

Here is the recipe for MYSORE MASALA DOSAI.

MYSORE MASALA DOSAI:

For the batter- you can use idli/dosai batter. Some people will add a little poha, lentils, chennal dal and then semolina to the batter for a better taste and crispness. You can add a tbsp of Bengal gram, a tbsp of lentils and a tbsp of poha to 3 cups of rice, ¾ cup of black gram and 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds when you soak for the dosai. Then grind them to a fine batter. After the fermentation of 10 hours, add 1 tbsp of fine semolina, mix well and keep it for 30 minutes before preparing dosai.

For this you need potato masala which we will make for POORIS. But the masala must be thick and have a spreading consistency.

I am re-posting the recipe of red chutney here which we must spread on the dosai.

RED CHUTNEY:

Roast 3tbsp Bengal gram, 2tbsps black gram, 6 dry chillies in oil to light brown colour.
Grind them with a small gooseberry-sized tamarind, 5 peppercorns, 2tbsps shredded coconut, and 2tbsps chopped coriander leaves.
Mix butter to the chutney in 8tbsps:50gms ratio.

PROCEDURE FOR MAKING MYSORE MASALA DOSAI:

Spread a thin dosai on hot tawa. Immediately spread a thin coat of red chutney on it. Then put some potato masala on one side. Close with a lid and cook on medium fire. Then take away the lid, pour a sp of gingelly oil, and close the masala with the other half of dosai.
Otherwise, you can cook on both sides, apply the chutney on one side, , place the masala and close with the half side of the dosai and pour some oil. Cook on both sides till they become a little crisp.

[/tscii:6a32119999]

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2005, 11:34 AM
[tscii:ae9cd901c9]Hello KZ!

I regret for the delayed reply. For yr queries, I needed a lot of time to write and post a few best recipes.

You have not done any mistake in the procedure of making parotta. If you sprinkle a little flour to roll them, then the texture of the parotta will change. You must roll it very lightly [you must put very little pressure in the hands] and then use your right palm to flatten it. That is the procedure we use in our restaurant also.

For storing the green chillies- you can grind them with ginger and a little vinegar to a paste and then keep it in the fridge. You can store this for a few weeks. You can add this in gravies. Here is a pickle recipe using green chillies as the main ingredient for you!

GRREN CHILLI PICKLE:

Ingredients:

Green chillies- 100gms
Tamarind- a big lemon size
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
White sesame seeds [ellu] - 1 tsp
Asafetida- a marble-sized piece
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Enough gingelly oil
Powdered Jaggerry- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Slit all the green chillies slightly at the tail ends. Soak the tamarind in enough water for 30 minutes and then extract its juice.
Heat a kadai and roast the sesame seeds, fenugreek seeds and asofetida in a little oil and then powder them finely when cooled. Again pour the gingelly oil in the kadai and heat it. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the green chillies and fry them well on medium fire until they change their colour. Add the tamarind extract with the turmeric powder and enough salt. Cook the pickle until all the water is evaporated and is thickened like gravy. Now add the fried powder with the jaggery and cook for a few more minutes on a very slow fire.

Here I am posting a few dessert recipes for you!

JELLY FRUITS:

To make this, there is no particular quantity of ingredients. You need a jelly powder, different kinds of fruits, a sponge cake, a tin of condensed milk, fresh orange juice, and mango flavoured custard or mango ice cream to prepare this. Banana, apple, mango and pineapple, are the main fruits for this. Chop all the fruits in to chunks.
Orange jelly will be more suitable for this. Prepare the custard before hand and cool it in the fridge. Prepare the jelly as per the instructions. You will need a broad glass bowl with a flat bottom. Crush the cake like bread crumbs and place inside the bowl. Press tightly with yr fingers. Then pour the orange juice on it evenly. Then pour the condensed milk in the same way. Place half of the fruits evenly. Then pour the custard or ice-cream in the same way. Finish the remaining fruits in the same procedure. At this point, the jelly has to be in semi- firm condition. Pour it over the dessert evenly and place it in a fridge to cool. The jelly will be set there firmly.

FRUIT KESARI:

Ingredients:

Ghee- 1/4 cup
Fried cashew nuts- 3 tbsp
Fried raisins- 3 tbsp
Semolina-1 cup
Water- 2 cups
Orange Colour powder- 2 pinches
Sugar- 2 cups
Finely chopped apple- 1 cup
Finely chopped pineapple- 1 cup
Finely chopped mango- 1 cup
Finely chopped banana- 1 cup
Rose essence or orange essence-1 tsp

PROCEDURE:

Heat a kadai and pour the ghee. Add the semolina and fry it on medium fire till it becomes light brown and a nice aroma floats on the air. Add the water and cook the semolina till it is cooked and thickened. Add the sugar with the colour powder and the essence. Cook well until the kesari turns like ‘Halwa ‘texture. Put off the fire and add all the fruits, cashew nuts and the raisins and mix well. Keep it covered with a lid for some minutes and then mix well. You can serve this either hot or cooled.[/tscii:ae9cd901c9]

rsankar
19th May 2005, 03:19 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

Thankyou for posting the Mysore masala Dosai. I have been looking for this recipes for a long time.

Thankyou onceagain.

rsankar.

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2005, 06:34 PM
[tscii:5768a657a6]Dear Sowmya!
Non-veg cookery generally has more spices where as vegetarian dishes will be delicious even with fewer spices. By the way, what do you mean by ‘non-veg’ ingredients?
[/tscii:5768a657a6]

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2005, 06:35 PM
Dear Indu!

As I have said earlier, the water in the keerai itself is enough to cook it. You can cook in high flame if you feel much water in it. But do not drain the water in it. You are wasting its vitamins.
Potatoes and fishes are soft and they have the tendency to become soft once they are fried. That is why potato wedges and finger chips are soft in the fast food shops.

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2005, 06:35 PM
Dear apujittu!
I felt happy that yr maida biscuit turned very well for you. Actually the original recipe needs dalda only. But I always prefer ghee. Butter will make the taste a little different.
Most of the biscuit recipes need butter only. Like this, most of the sweets require ghee only. You must prepare according to the recipe.
Thanks a lot for the feedback on the maida biscuit and the prawn curry.

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2005, 07:12 PM
[tscii:c2f2a1539d]Dear Suganthi!

There is no ‘Ennai kaththarikkai kuzhambu’ recipe with me. The one I have known and posted was “Ennai kaththarikkai curry’ only!
I have already posted some recipes of kuruma varieties which will go well with briyanis. I am posting below a recipe for “Dhalcha” which is a famous side dish for muslims in Thanjavur and Trichy sides.

DHLACHA:

Ingredients:

Lentils- 200gms
Bengal gram- 2 tbsp
Mutton pieces with more bones- 250 gms
Finely chopped onion-1 cup
Finely chopped tomato-2 cups
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Tamarind- a lime size
Chopped coriander leaves- 3 tbsp
Diced brinjals- 2 cups
A big mango [ottu mango is very suitable]
Enough salt

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in enough water for 30 minutes and then extract its juice.
Pressure cook the dals and the mutton pieces with the tomato, onion, ginger and garlic pastes separately. Then heat a kadai and pour the dals with the cooked mutton, powders and enough salt. Cook for a few minutes. Add the vegetables with the tamarind extract. Cook for more minutes until every thing is well cooked in the gravy.This dhalcha should not be thickened.

[/tscii:c2f2a1539d]

gvb
19th May 2005, 07:24 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thank u so much for posting the dhalcha recipe..since am a vegeterian can i make it without meat?

Regards,
Suganthi

Kz
19th May 2005, 07:38 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
Thanks a lot for replying abt my doubts abt parotta. i will try it again. thank you for the green chilli pickle recipe and desserts. will try them and let u know. I made idly sambhar accordingto ur recipe yesterday and it is a big hit among friends, they loved it.
i have one more doubt while making mutton kolambu can i put mutton pieces and liver ( eeral) together? the mutton is tender while the liver is hard, is that normal? is liver good for health? sorry to disturb u with more doubts.
Thankyou
kz

Ramanan
20th May 2005, 09:22 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano

Can you please post the recipe for that "just like hotel" masala for dosai and puri ?

Thanks

Ramanan

Mrs.Mano
21st May 2005, 12:26 AM
[tscii:d6bfcfd5d2]Dear Pammi!

About this chilli chicken dish- there are so many varieties of recipes in Indian style, Pakistan style and Chinese style. I do not know which the original is and so I couldn’t give the exact recipe.

[/tscii:d6bfcfd5d2]

Mrs.Mano
21st May 2005, 12:26 AM
Dear sjeya!

I have not a good recipe of Kerala Black Halwa. If I get one, I will post it for you!

Mrs.Mano
21st May 2005, 12:29 AM
[tscii:cfe0636127]
Dear Inimai!

Thanks a lot of the feedback on Aappam. Here is the recipe for MUTTER PANEER.

MUTTER PANEER:

Ingredients:

Frozen peas- 2 cups
Mashed tomato- 2 cups
Diced paneer pieces- 1 ½ cups
Fresh curd-1/2 cup
Sugar- 1 tbsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Oil-3 tbsp
Corn flour- 1 tsp
Milk- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Grind the following ingredients to a paste:
Big onion- 1
Coriander seeds- 2 tbsp
Poppy seeds- 3 tsp
Red chillies- 6
Roasted shredded coconut- 1 tbsp
Garlic flakes- 6
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Powder the following:
Peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Cloves-4
Cinnamon pieces-3
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Fry the paneer pieces in oil under slow fire till they become brown and then take them away. Heat a kadai and pour the ghee and the oil. Add both the masalas and fry them until the oil floats on top. Again add the curd and fry for a few minutes. Then add the peas and fry for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes with enough salt and water. When it simmers for some minutes, add the paneer pieces, and the sugar. Mix the corn flour in the milk and pout it in the gravy. Let the gravy simmer for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

[/tscii:cfe0636127]

Inimai
21st May 2005, 03:48 AM
Dear Mrs. mano,

Thank you for Mutter Paneer recipe! In this, you have specified to add corn flour. Is it a white or yellow one? I have the yellow one. Can I substitute with anyother?

Thanks!

riceandbeans
21st May 2005, 04:02 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

In your previous recipe using papaya, are we supposed to use green or ripe papaya??
Love your recipes.
Thank you.

indu
22nd May 2005, 12:31 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I thank you for responding to my posting.
I am also living in UAE, & so thought of asking you to suggest which brand of wheat flour available here is best , for health [with less maida] & for tastier roti, puri etc. ?
Also, powdered coconut milk is better or tinned ones give better results ? Which brand do you recommend ?
Thanks,
Indu.

Kz
23rd May 2005, 06:58 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I tried the mutter paneer recipe, i just omitted the sugar and milk for corn flour, just used water. it came out great and was good with veg fried rice and pulao.
Thankyou!

Inimai, I used white corn flour which is also known as corn starch here in american grocery. hope this helps u.

kz

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 08:31 AM
[tscii:b98f4ad78c]Dear Urmila!

In the recipe ‘drumstick pappad samosa’, you can use potato instead of drumstick. But the taste of drumstick is something special that no body could find it as it is made with drumstick flesh. Also the taste will be delicious.

You can make maida biscuits adding a little chilli flour and omitting sugar. You can create new dishes like that.

In the old days, my grand mother and mother used to prepare the ‘pal kozhukkattai’ by making very small balls like jasmine buds out of the rice flour. But it is time consuming. Nowadays people started to prepare so many dishes in lesser time. If you use a slightly bigger idiyappam achu, it will be easy to make ‘pal kozhikkattai’.

The neem flowers will change in to pale brown or brown colour when they are dried under the heat of the sun. So do not worry. Yes. They are also very good for health.
We can make podi, pachchadi, rasam and thuvaiyal. I will post the recipes of podi and rasam here. Then other recipes will follow them within a few days.

VEPPAMPOO PODI [neem flower podi]:

Ingredients:

Dried veppampoo- 1 cup
Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Red chillies- 2
Asafotida- a marble size
Enough salt.

Procedure:

Roast the neem flower in a dry kadai to a brown colour. Roast the other ingredients also in a little oil separately. When cooled, grind them to a fine powder with enough salt. This can be eaten by mixing it with hot rice and ghee.

VEPPAMPOO RASAM: [Neem flower rasam]

Ingredients:

Tamarind-a lime size
Red chillies- 3
Cooked dal- ¼ cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Asafetida- a marble size
Veppampoo- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Mashed tomato- ½ cup
Rasam powder- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Enough salt

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water for half an hour and then extract its juice. Pour it in a kadai with 2 more cups of water with enough salt, tomatoes, rasam powder turmeric powder and the cooked dal. Let it simmer for 3 minutes. Heat a small kadai and pour the ghee. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the red chillies, curry leaves and asafetida. Then add the veppampoo and fry to a brown colour and add these to the simmering rasam with the coriander leaves. Let the rasam simmer for a few minutes.

[/tscii:b98f4ad78c]

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 09:02 AM
[tscii:b3aad2e506]Hello Honey dew!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on pperkangkai kothsu.

For tomato briyani- you must pre heat the gas oven for 10 minutes before hand. Then place inside the 3/4th cooked briyani for 10 minutes. The vessel must be tightly covered with a flat lid. After ten minutes, take it out and mix well carefully. You can add a little ghee around the rice. Then keep it in ‘dum’ for 10 minutes again.

To my knowledge, there is no vegetarian Hydrabad dum briyani.

[/tscii:b3aad2e506]

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 09:06 AM
Dear Sugandhi!

You can try the dhalcha without mutton. But it will taste like a sambar.

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 10:25 AM
[tscii:1474207251]Dear KZ!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘Idli sambar’. I am glad that it turned out very well for you and was appreciated by yr friends.

About the mutton kuzhambu-You can cook the liver along with the mutton in the cooker. It will be really soft like mutton in our place [Tamilnadu]. Generally, mutton induces high cholesterol levels in our body and it is better to take it once in a while.

Thanks again for the feedback on ‘Mutter paneer’.

[/tscii:1474207251]

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 10:31 AM
[tscii:44f86aa238]Dear Mr.Ramanan!

Hotels have different kinds of masala for dosai as well as poori. So I couldn’t figure out the correct recipe.
The secret lies in mashing the potatoes. If you mash them when they are hot, you can get a smooth and tasty masala. If you mash them after some time, the masala will be sticking. Some people will add tomatoes in the masala. In the tempering also, some will add black gram and Bengal gram. It is up to you to add the extra taste and flavour.
[/tscii:44f86aa238]

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 10:33 AM
Dear riceandbeans!

I have mentioned only raw papaya [green papaya] in the recipes of papaya.

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 10:47 AM
[tscii:60e6364d80]Hello Indu!

I am glad that you are also living in the United Arab Emirates. Are you from Dubai?
I buy wheat flour in the ‘Adil spices’.

Whenever I go to the native place, I make it a point to wash wheat grains [Punjab] and Soya beans and then dry them under the sun. Then I will send them to powder in a mill. Chappathis made out of this flour will be always healthy. For 1 kg of wheat grains, 100gms of soya beans are enough. But this flour is not suitable for pooris.

I think in taste wise, both the powdered coconut and the tinned coconut milk are the same. But we must finish the tinned milk soon once we open it. Almost all the brands are the same, I think. I like to buy the powder manufactured by kerala.

[/tscii:60e6364d80]

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2005, 10:50 AM
Dear Inimai!

You must use white corn flour as KZ had informed. Corn flour is added only for the thickening purpose as well as adding a little flavour. There is no substitute for that. You can avoid that.

Noodles
23rd May 2005, 01:43 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano Could u post few soup recipes (Veg and Non Veg)

Thanx
Noodles

luz
23rd May 2005, 10:00 PM
hi mrs mano. just curious to know if u know the recepie for mambazha morkuzambu. my sister went for a wedding and they served it there.I t was delicious it seems. could u post it if u know.thanking u

Ramanan
24th May 2005, 12:02 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano

I see your point. Thanks and regards. Ramanan

gvb
24th May 2005, 01:44 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanx for ur reply.I made "Mor kuzhambu" and it came out fantastic..I have stopped making it cos i cudn't get taste right but it came out really good when i followed ur recipe..

Regards,
Suganthi

Kz
24th May 2005, 08:31 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thankyou for clearing my doubt cooking mutton.

Kz

padmasini
25th May 2005, 08:01 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Can some one forward the part 1 and part 2 recipes to padmasinis@yahoo.com

rsankar
25th May 2005, 09:00 PM
Hello padmasini,

just send the recipes to your mail id, plese check.

Regards.
rsankar.

Kavitha Ravi
26th May 2005, 04:34 AM
[tscii:d4d2e56b02]
Dear sjeya, this recipe is from my MIL'S file.
It's Kerala's black rice halwa.
It's a tested recipe. Try it

BLACK RICE HALWA

Ingredients.
500 grms rice flour
400 grms finely grated jaggery
2 litres coconut milk from 2 coconuts
1 tsp cardamon powder
50 grms chopped cashew nut
50 grms melted ghee
a big pinch of salt

Method:
Mix the flour, milk and jaggery.
Dissolve the jaggery and pass through a muslin or a strainer.
Put the mixture in a big wok,with cardamond powder, chopped nuts,
Salt, and cook on a slow fire, stirring all the time, till the mixture turns thick.
( The fire has to be slow to allow the flour to be cooked )
Add the ghee and continue cooking, till the mixture leaves the sides of the wok.
A small portain of halwa rolled between the thumb and forefingers forms a non-sticky ba#ll.
Put in a well- greased tray, level the surface, set aside to turn cold.
Cut into small squares when cold.

It’s hard work, but the end result will be sweet.

[/tscii:d4d2e56b02]

gv
26th May 2005, 05:10 AM
Hi kavitha Ravi
I am not sure if ur mil is Mrs.Soma. If its her, can u pls say where can i find recipes posted by her?
Thanks in Advance
Gv

Kavitha Ravi
26th May 2005, 11:21 AM
Yes I am.
I think she did not have a seperate thread for her recipes.
Her few recipes came in Kerala Thread,
I can't believe it's Non-vegetarian,
and one or two in Hemantji's cookery thread.
She wanted to do a lot,but God loved her more.
Kavitha ravi

Kavitha Ravi
27th May 2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry, some of her recipes are also in the thread called,
" Recipe Of The Week " I hope the threads name is correct.
Kavitha Ravi

Mrs.Mano
28th May 2005, 12:23 AM
Dear Noodles!
I will post the soup recipes soon!

Mrs.Mano
28th May 2005, 12:24 AM
[tscii:b3f2bcb27a]Hello Luz!

If I come across the recipe of Mambazha morkuzhambu’, I will post it here for you!

[/tscii:b3f2bcb27a]

Mrs.Mano
28th May 2005, 12:24 AM
[tscii:472443d4c6]Dear Suganthi!

Thank you very much for the feed back on ‘Morkuzhambu’.

[/tscii:472443d4c6]

Mrs.Mano
28th May 2005, 12:27 AM
[tscii:1f4e8ea7a2]Now I begin here posting the recipes of sweets. I have already posted some sweets in the previous threads. Other than those, I am going to post some unusual sweets recipes here including the regular ones.

GREEN GRAM PUTTU:

Ingredients:

Green gram- 3/4 cup
Ghee- 1/4 cup
Broken cashew nuts- 2tbsp
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Crushed jaggery- 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/ tsp

Procedure:

Soak the green gram for an hour and then drain the water in a colander. Grind the green gram coarsely without adding any water. Place the ground green gram in a greased flat vessel or idli plates and then steam it for 15 minutes. When cooled, mash it finely without any lumps. Heat a kadai and pour the ghee. First fry the cashew nuts to a golden brown and then take them away. Then add the green gram mixture and fry it in the ghee until it turns like fine breadcrumbs. Then add the coconut and fry again for a few minutes. Simultaneously, prepare thick syrup with the jaggery. If you put a drop in a cup of water, the syrup must not dissolve in the water. It should be formed in to a soft ball. That is the consistency of the syrup. When the syrup reaches that consistency, pour it into the green gram mixture and mix well. Add the cardamom powder and fry for a few minutes.

GREEN GRAM URUNDAI:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 1 cup
Green gram- 3/4 cup
Crushed jaggery- 1 cup
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
Shredded coconut- 1 cup

Procedure:

Roast the raw rice and the green gram in a dry pan till a fine aroma floats on the air. There is no need to fry them to a golden brown colour. When cooled, grind them to a semolina consistency and sieve out the unwanted flour. Boil 2 cups of water in a kadai and add this rawa mixture. Cook on a slow fire. When it is thickened, take it away and allow it to cool. Again heat the kadai and add the jaggery with ¼ cup of water. When it starts to simmer add the coconut, ghee, cardamom powder, and the cooked rawa and mix well. Make small balls out of the mixture and steam them for 15 minutes.

[/tscii:1f4e8ea7a2]

Shanthy
30th May 2005, 05:02 PM
Dear Mrs Mano

I made BHADAM BURFI for the first time. Even though I never tried this sweet recipe before, it was a real success. Thank you for your guidance. Could you please give a recipe for milk peda? I have a microwave recipe, it comes out ok. But its not like the real peda we buy from the Indian shops.

The recipe I have calls for 300ml whiping cream, 2cups of full cream milk powder 3/4 cups of sugar. Mix all ingredients together and microwave for 6 min stiring every 2 minutes. Let it cool and cut into pieces.

Regards
Shanthy

Mrs.Mano
31st May 2005, 07:20 PM
Hello Shanthy!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on Badam burfi.
I am posting a peda recipe for you.
This peda recipe is from a milkmaid book. Hope this will be helpful to you!

MALAI PEDA:

Ingredients:

Milkmaid- 1 tin, milk- 1 1/2 cups, citric acid- 1/4 tsp, corn flour- 1 tsp, Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp, ghee- 1 tbsp, yellow colour- a few drops

Procedure:

Heat ghee in a pan. Add milkmaid, milk and the citric acid dissolved in a little water. Continue heating and allow the milk to curdle. Make a paste of corn flour with 2 tbsp of water. Add this to the milk after it is curdled. Continue the heating on slow fire till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Add colour and mix well. When cooled a little, shape in to pedas and decorate with cardamom powder

Mrs.Mano
31st May 2005, 08:12 PM
[tscii:b778623df6]Hello Luz!

Here is the recipe for “Mambazha morkuzhambu”.
I got this recipe from my relative. This is also called as “Mambazha pulissery”.

MAMBAZHA MORKUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Mango pieces- 1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Green chillies-6
Small garlic flakes-6
Coconut oil- 2tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Red chillies-4
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Curd- 1 cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Cook the mango pieces with a little water, chilli powder, turmeric powder and enough salt. Grind the coconut with the green chillies, gralic and cumin seeds to a coarse paste and add this to the mango mixture and cook for a few minutes. Heat a small kadai and pour the coconut oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the fenugreek seeds with the curry leaves and red chilies. Fry them for a few seconds and add this tempering to the mango mixture and mix well. Put off the fire and add the curd. Mix well.

[/tscii:b778623df6]

luz
31st May 2005, 09:26 PM
hi mrs mano, thanks for the prompt reply. i appreciate ur interest in replying. will try it defintely and post the feedback. thanks once again.

sjeya
31st May 2005, 11:03 PM
Thank You Kavitha - will try the recipe and let you know.

padmasini
1st June 2005, 12:47 AM
I tried this recipe from here. But I couldn't make a flaky parota. Can you help me making flaky ones that you get in the hotels?

tomato
1st June 2005, 09:21 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Can u pls post the recipe of mango burfi. I have a tin of mango pulp. Also some fullcream milk pow which I want to finish off. Can u post a easy burffi recipes using these ingredients.

Sowmya
1st June 2005, 10:23 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Can you please post the recipe for restuarant stlye "Aloo gobi masala".

Regards
sowmya

niche
2nd June 2005, 01:28 PM
dear mrs mano or any hubber,
pls give me the recipe for palya/poriyal podi - (not vangi bhat powder)... any other version pls
tks
uma

gvb
2nd June 2005, 10:51 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made "Dhalcha" without mutton and i felt like the taste was a little bland..Shud i have to add any masalas if i omit the meat?Please let me know..

Regards,
Suganthi

Mrs.Mano
3rd June 2005, 12:08 AM
Hello Padmasani!

In hotels, after making the parottas, they will place 2 or 3 hot parottas on the table, beat and bang at the sides with the pressure of the hands for some time. After that, you can get flaky parottas.