PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Mrs.Mano
3rd June 2005, 12:09 AM
Dear Tomato!

I know about mango kheer, mango coconut sweet balls and mango cream. But I do not know about mango burfi. Mango halwa can be made with mango pieces as well as full cream milk powder. I have not yet tried it. If you want that recipe, I will post it for you!

Mrs.Mano
3rd June 2005, 12:14 AM
Dear Suganthi!

I have already told that the taste will not be the same if the mutton or chicken is omitted. This recipe will be delicious only if the mutton is added in it.

foodlover123
3rd June 2005, 12:56 AM
Dear Tomato!

I know about mango kheer, mango coconut sweet balls and mango cream. But I do not know about mango burfi. Mango halwa can be made with mango pieces as well as full cream milk powder. I have not yet tried it. If you want that recipe, I will post it for you!

Yummmmm :) Mrs Mano, post these recipes for me please....aparantly i also got a tin of mango pulp and the only thing i know to make is mango milkshake..would be a great help if you can post the various mango sweets you have.

tomato
3rd June 2005, 08:32 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Pls post the mango sweet recipes. Also any other sweet recipes using milk powder. I had bought full cream milk pow to make 'gulab jamuns' acc to your recipe. I want to finish off the milk pow before it goes bad.

Mrs.Mano
3rd June 2005, 11:07 AM
[tscii:ef4abc78a3]Hello Noodles!
Here are a few recipes of soups for you!

SPINACH SOUP:

Ingredients:

Spinach [palak]- 1/2 kilo
Potato [medium size]-1
Butter- 2 tbsp
Corn flour- 3 tbsp
Nutmeg powder- a pinch
Pepper powder- a pinch
Milk- 2 cups
Cream- 3 tbsps
Chopped onion-1
Croutons- 1 cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Heat a kadai and melt butter in it. Add the onion and fry it for a few minutes. Then add the palak leaves with 2 cups of water and enough salt. Let it cook till the palak is tender. Do not over cook the plak leaves. When cooled, liquidize the palak leaves and pass it through a sieve. Blend the corn flour and the milk finely and add it to the strained soup. Add the powders and mix well. Serve hot topped with a tbsp of cream and a few croutons in each cup.

CRAB LEGS SOUP:

Ingredients:

Crab legs -8
Tamarind- a lime size
Crushed tomato-1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Fennel seeds- 2 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Red chillies-3
Peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Garlic flakes[small]- 8
Salt to tatse
Oil- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in water and extract its juice. Mix water to it to make it as 4 to 5 cups. Grind coarsely the red chillies with the peppercorns, garlic flakes, cumin seeds, and 1 tsp of fennel seeds. Add this to the tamarind water with the turmeric powder, and enough salt. Let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium fire. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the remaining fennel seeds and curry leaves. Fry them for a few seconds and add this to the simmering soup. Again let the soup simmers for another 5 minutes.

[/tscii:ef4abc78a3]

Mrs.Mano
3rd June 2005, 11:10 AM
Dear Soumya!

Here is the recipe for Aloo Gobi masala:

ALOO GOBI MASALA:

Ingredients:

Diced potato- 2 cups
Cauliflower florets- 4 cups
Tomato juice- 1/2 cup
Chopped onion- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Ginger paste-1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Green chillies- 2
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Butter- 2 tbsp
Oil- 2 tbsp enough salt

Procedure:

Steam the vegetables until they are cooked firmly. Grind coarsely the onion with the green chillies, garlic and the ginger pastes. Heat a kadaia nd pour the oil and add the butter. Add the paste and fry it for a few minutes on slow fire until it turns in to a golden brown colour. Add the cooked vegetables with all the powders, tomato juice and enough salt. Let the gravy cook for some minutes until every thing is blended well and you get the desired consistency.

R
3rd June 2005, 04:05 PM
Hello Tomato,

If you have Mrs.Meenakshi ammal's cookery book(south indian, traditional popular old lady ), pls refer and she has given the recipe for mango burfi. Her recipes are always good except for the measurements will be in a bulk qty. Otherwise, it will help for all aged people.

Bye.

p.s.: In all my friends/folks families, when the daughter has got married, all their mothers' used to send this book too with the other things!!!

Sowmya
3rd June 2005, 04:52 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thanks a lot for the recipe.Will try it soon.

Regards
Sowmya

honeydew
3rd June 2005, 05:04 PM
hello mrs mano,
whats the diff between naan and kulcha ? in some restuarants both tastes like same and moreover is the ingrediants for them r same?
pls give the exact measurement for both and method to do , looking forward for ur reply,pls clear my doubts ,this is my long time doubt.

thanks in advance

regds
honey

gvb
3rd June 2005, 05:30 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanks for ur reply..Thou i found "Dalcha" a little bland my husband had no complaints..Thanx for the recipe..

Regards,
Suganthi

tomato
4th June 2005, 07:18 AM
Hello Tomato,

If you have Mrs.Meenakshi ammal's cookery book(south indian, traditional popular old lady ), pls refer and she has given the recipe for mango burfi. Her recipes are always good except for the measurements will be in a bulk qty. Otherwise, it will help for all aged people.

Bye.

p.s.: In all my friends/folks families, when the daughter has got married, all their mothers' used to send this book too with the other things!!!

Thank You R for the info. But I don't have the book u have mentioned. But will surely try to get a copy of it when I next go to India. Which language is the book written in? Can I get it in Bangalore?
Meanwhile could u pls post the recipe of mango burfi from that book when time permits.

Thattai
4th June 2005, 11:50 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

How are you doing? Wanted to give you some feedback on some dishes that I tried from this thread.

I tried the pongal using mix of moong dal and lentils, and it was great! A very nice change from the usual pongal that I make, and I think that this is going to become my standard recipe.

Also made the sweet kuzhi paniharam, which also turned out good. It was my maiden effort, as I just recently purchased the paniharam chatti, but thanks to ur recipe, it still turned out good.

Tried your biryani 1 with mutton. Made it for some North Indian guests and it was a big hit. My mum then madde it for some people visiting her, and they loved it as well. So this was a big hit all around. Thanks for your wonderful recipes....

shreya23
4th June 2005, 02:17 PM
mrs mano pls can u give me the recipe for prawn vadai -chettinadu or tamilian style
shreya

Thattai
4th June 2005, 02:56 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Made the sambar sadam for lunch today. It was very nice taste-wise. Only thing is, it was very thick and kept getting more and more so as it cooled down. I would like the texture to be more 'flowing' so to say.

Is there any way to achieve this? Would be greatful for your inputs. Tx...

PS: Same issue is faced with bisi bele bath also.

R
4th June 2005, 03:03 PM
Hello Tomato,

Though she is basically from TN, the books are availabe in all south indian languages, Hindi & English too.

Will pm the recipe.

Bye.

R
4th June 2005, 04:03 PM
tomato, just now sent the recipe..check it out!!

Shanthy
4th June 2005, 04:45 PM
Dear Mrs Mano

Thank you for the Malai peda recipe. I will try it and send the feedback to you. I am sure it will be another jem.

Regards
Shanthy

Mrs.Mano
4th June 2005, 08:12 PM
[tscii:716b1603fe]Dear Foodlover and Tomato!

Here are the Mango recipes!

MANGO HALWA

Ingredients:

Mango pieces- 3 cups
Milk- 2 1/2 cups
Sugar- 1 cup
Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
Ghee- 1/2 cup

Procedure:

Cook the ripe mango pieces in a kadai on medium fire with the sugar and the milk. When the mixture is well blended and leaves the sides of the pan, add the ghee,cardamom powder and the ghee. Cook for a few seconds. Pour the mixture in a greased tray.

MANGO CREAM:

Ingredients:

Ripe mango pieces-4
Powdered sugar- 3/4 cup
Milk-- 1/4 cup

Procedure:

The Milk must be boiled, thickened and cooled. Place the mango pieces in a mixi jar with the sugar and run it for a minute. It will become like a cream. Add this to the milk and decorate with raisins.

MANGO ICECREAM:

Ingredients:

Milk- 3/4 liter
Custard powder- 2 tbsp
Sugar- 200gms
Mashed mango- 1 1/2 cups
Cream- 300 ml
Mango essence- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Mix the custard powder with 2 tbsp of milk and make a fine paste. Mix this with the remaining milk and the sugar thoroughly. Pour it in a bowl and heat it. Cook until it is thickened and then allow it to cool. Add the cream with the essence and the mashed mangoes to the cooled custard and mix well. Freeze the mango ice cream.

MANGO KHEER:

Ingredients:

2 ripe mangoes
Sugar- 1 1/2 cups
Fried cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder-1 tsp
Salt- a pinch
Saffron- a pinch
Milk- 2 cups

Procedure:

Boil the milk with the saffron until it is thickened to one cup of milk.. Let it cool. Steam the mangoes and then remove the skin and the seed. Mash well. Pour the mango juice in a bowl with the sugar and cook it until it is thickened and blended. Allow it to cool. Add the cardamom powder, salt and the cashew nuts. Mix well. Now add the milk and mix well.

[/tscii:716b1603fe]

indu
6th June 2005, 04:29 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I'm sorry for thanking you so late after your prompt response -- I just forgot that I had asked a query in this thread.
My friend has just got a tamil cookery book [by Gemini Mahalingam], her mother's actually, so old that book is. But measurements are also old, like padi, aazhakku, veesai, palam--- can you possibly give the present equivalent to these measurements ??
Is one padi equal to one litre / one kg. ?
Hope you can help,
Indu.

indu
6th June 2005, 04:33 PM
Hi R,
If you don't mind, can you post the mango burfi recipe here also please ?
Thanks.

Sowmya
6th June 2005, 04:56 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Tried your "papaya curry" y'day.It was very tasty.Thanks a lot.

Regards
Sowmya :D

rajshank
6th June 2005, 11:01 PM
Hello Shanthy!
Thanks a lot for the feedback on Badam burfi.
I am posting a peda recipe for you.
This peda recipe is from a milkmaid book. Hope this will be helpful to you!

MALAI PEDA:

Ingredients:

Milkmaid- 1 tin, milk- 1 1/2 cups, citric acid- 1/4 tsp, corn flour- 1 tsp, Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp, ghee- 1 tbsp, yellow colour- a few drops

Procedure:

Heat ghee in a pan. Add milkmaid, milk and the citric acid dissolved in a little water. Continue heating and allow the milk to curdle. Make a paste of corn flour with 2 tbsp of water. Add this to the milk after it is curdled. Continue the heating on slow fire till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Add colour and mix well. When cooled a little, shape in to pedas and decorate with cardamom powder

Hello Mrs. Mano,

What is Citric Acid called in US? Will i get it in the US? Can i use vinegar as a substitute? And when u said "allow milk to curdle", will it become like when we make paneer at home...that is the milk gets seperated ..Or does it mean to keep boiling the milk, till it becomes lesser in quantity...i have loads of doubts... :( :cry: And i like Malai Pedas very much and want to try this recipe badly...

Mrs.Mano
6th June 2005, 11:49 PM
[tscii:82e7e57572]Dear Honey!
The ingredients for the naan and the kulcha are more or less the same. While Naan is from U.P, Kulcha is a Punjabi dish. Naan is thinner while Kulcha is thicker in preparation, at least with the thickness of ¼”. Here are the recipes for Naan as well as kulcha. Kulcha is shallow-fried after it is baked. And its shape is round while Naan’s shape is like a teardrop.

KULCHA:

Sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar and 3 tsps of fresh or dry yeast over 150 ml warm milk and leave it to froth for 20 minutes. Sift 3 cups of flour with 1 tsp of salt. Make a well in the center. Pour the yeast mixture in it with 2 tbsp of ghee. Mix well and slowly add 4 tbsp of yogurt. Knead well and make soft dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and leave it to rise for 6 hours. Knead well again and divide in to equal parts. Roll out each part into a round disc of 5” diameter and ¼” thickness. Place them in a baking tray. Cover them again with a damp cloth and leave them to rise again for 30 to 45 minutes. Brush each with oil. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 140 deg C-gas mark-1 for 10 minutes. Remove them and shallow fry in a hot griddle like parathas.

NAAN: FOLLOW THE SAME METHOD. Ingredients slightly vary. For 3 cups of plain flour, use 1 tbsp of yeast, 1 tsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of yogurt, 2 tsp of salt and 2 tbsp of ghee.
At the last stage, mix 1 tbsp of ghee with 1 tbsp of sesame seeds and brush them on the naan before baking it. You must bake it at 190 Deg C- gas mark-5 for 4 to 5 minutes. There is no need for shallow frying after that.
NB: For kulcha, you can mix 1 tbsp of calonji seeds [dry onion seeds] with 1 tbsp of ghee and brush on the kulcha before baking.

[/tscii:82e7e57572]

Mrs.Mano
7th June 2005, 12:11 AM
Dear Thattai!

I am very glad to know that you have got successful results with the Pongal, briyani, and kuzhi paniyaram. Yr heart-warming response really motivates me to post more and more tasty recipes.
The pongal with lentils and green gram is always tasty and tomato thokku is a delicious accompaniment for this pongal. I think that I have already posted the recipe for it.
About this briyani- I have learned it form a Muslim friend. I have crossed over so many briyani recipes in the past and tried almost all of them. But, I feel that this is the best of all to date. I am glad that your mother also has enjoyed making it.

About sambar sadham-When you pour the tamarind extract and cook it with the prepared podi, it may be a little watery. So that it will still be in a flowing consistency, even after you have mixed the rice and dal and every thing. So it will not be thick after it is cooled.
Once again I thank you very much for the nice feedback you have given on my recipes.

Mrs.Mano
7th June 2005, 12:22 AM
Hello Shreya!
Here is the recipe for Prawn vadai.

PRAWN VADAI:

Ingredients:

Prawn- 500 gms
Ginger paste-1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Coarsely ground Green chilli- 1 tsp
Onion paste- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander- 2 tsp
Gram flour- 4 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Beaten egg- 1
Gram dal powder- 2 tsp
Breadcrumbs- 1 tbsp
Lime juice- 2tbsp
Enough salt and oil

Procedure:

Clean and wash the prawns. Mix them well with lime juice and the turmeric powder and keep it like that for 30 minutes. Then wash the prawn again. This way, the smell of the prawns will disappear. Steam the prawns for 10 minutes and allow them to cool. Grind them coarsely with all the pastes and enough salt . Add chilli powder, coriander leaves, flours, egg and the bread crumbs to the ground mixture and mix well. Make balls, faltten them like vadais and deep fry them in hot oil.

Mrs.Mano
7th June 2005, 12:37 AM
[tscii:befa5c1146]Dear Indu!
I also do not know about these old measurements except for one thing. An aazhaakku is 1/8th of a ‘padi’.

[/tscii:befa5c1146]

Mrs.Mano
7th June 2005, 12:37 AM
Dear Sowmya!
thank you very much for the feedback on pappaya curry.

Mrs.Mano
7th June 2005, 12:42 AM
Dear rajshank!

You can use a little vinegar instaed of citric acid. when the milk is curdled, it will look like crumbled paneer. Again, when the corn flour paste is added, it will blend everything into a fine mass.

shreya23
7th June 2005, 12:58 AM
dear mrs mano
thanks for the prawn vadai recipe, i will try it out this weekend &let u know.
shreya

padmasini
7th June 2005, 01:32 AM
Is milkmaid same as sweet and condensed milk you get here?

Inimai
7th June 2005, 03:18 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made your Mutter paneer for a get together. it was a big hit and it was finished up even before some of them yet to eat. All wanted for to go. But nothing left!! I am so happy! Thanks for your recipe!

rajshank
7th June 2005, 04:12 AM
Thankyou Mrs.Mano for clearing my doubt...i am going to try out the Malai Peda recipe right away...shall let u know the results and my hubby's reaction soon :D

honeydew
7th June 2005, 02:05 PM
dear Mrs mano,
Thanku for clearing my doubts , regd kulcha( Knead well again and divide in to equal parts. Roll out each part into a round disc of 5? diameter and ?? thickness. Place them in a baking tray. Cover them again with a damp cloth and leave them to rise again for 30 to 45 minutes) means how many minutes i have to bake and after baking should i cover with the damp cloth , pls clear my doubt sorry for troubling u .thankx in advance .

regds
honey

honeydew
7th June 2005, 02:25 PM
Dear Mrs mano,
1 more doubt do i need to put plain flour or all purpose flour, if plain flour have to add baking powder ?

regds
honey

Raathi
8th June 2005, 02:33 AM
Hi mrs.Mano!
I'm so happy to see your photo in Arusuvai.Hope you had a very nice time with Revathi sanmugam and with the people who participated on that competition.I tried so many recipes of yours but couldn't get time to post you the feedbacks.
Take care!

rajshank
8th June 2005, 05:07 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried the Malai Peda, the taste came out very well, but the whole thing did not become into one lump, so that i could shape them out into pedas...it was a little sticky...so me and my husband, just had it in a bowl with a spoon :lol: Can u pls tell me where i could have gone wrong?

malinibalaguru
9th June 2005, 04:53 PM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. Found this forum really useful. Can anyone plz send me Mrs. Mano's recipes to bk_malini@yahoo.com?

Thanks in advance.
Malini

gvb
9th June 2005, 11:52 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
After reading a couple of rave reviews on "pongal" i made it this morning and Wow what a big difference it was taste-wise.My husband wanted some more but i had made the usual quantity..It gave out such good aroma and we both loved it..Thank u very much,Mrs.Mano.This one is a Keeper for sure.

I made Sambhar sadham for lunch today and that was highly appreciated too..U kick-started my cooking skills by posting so many wonderful recipes and i always ,always got such good results..Please do continue posting many recipes.

Regards,
Suganthi

padmasini
10th June 2005, 12:06 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Can you post the recipe of Ven pongal that they make in Perumal Kovil during Marghazi season? I'm thriving to eat some.

Thanks
Padma

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:26 AM
Dear Inimai!

Yr feedback on mutter paneer delighted me very much. Thank you very much for the same.

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:27 AM
Dear Honey!

About Kulcha-you have to place the kulchas in a baking tray and cover them with a damp cloth to rise again. After leaving them to rise for 30 minutes, then only you should bake them.

In all the recipes like kulcha, naan and Batura, only plain flour is recommended for the preparation. As the yeast is added, there is no need to add the baking powder

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:27 AM
Dear Raathi!

Thank you very much for yr posting.
Yes. It was very pleasant to meet and talk with Mrs. Revathi Shanmugam as well as her sister,Mrs. Kalaiselvi Chokkalingam.
I am also happy to know that you have got successful results with my recipes.

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:28 AM
Dear rajshank!

Avoid the vinegar and try again. I hope you will get a combined mass of milk to make nice pedas.

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:28 AM
Hello Malini!

You can view my recipes in the following links.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/Tamilnadu_delicacies.doc
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/corrected_recipes_of_Mrs_Mano.doc

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:32 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Really I felt happy that you had successful results with pongal as well as sambar sadham. Whenever I go to my native place, I make it a habit to prepare this sambar sadham to my friends who like this preparation very much. Thanks a lot for the

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:33 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on sambar sadham and pongal!

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:33 AM
Dear Padma!

I do not know the exact procedure they follow at the perumal kovils to prepare this ven pongal.

Mrs.Mano
11th June 2005, 12:36 AM
Again I am posting a few sweet recipes here.

ROTI CREAM:

Ingredients:

Bread slices- 1 pocket
Sugar- 1 cup
Milk- 1/2 liter
Eggs- 4
Butter- 1 cup
Fruit essence- 1 tsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Break the bread slices and make fine breadcrumbs with the help of the mixi. Add all the ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter in a greased vessel and steam it for 15 to 20 minutes. When cooled, slice them finely.

KOLUSA MURUKKU:

Ingredients;

Raw rice- 250 gms
Eggs- 2
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Enough sugar and oil

Procedure:

Soak the rice in enough water for 2 hours and then drain the water in a colander. Pound the rice into fine flour. Sieve the flour twice. Beat the eggs to a frothy mixture. Prepare thick coconut milk out of the shredded coconut. Pour the coconut milk in the flour. Add the beaten eggs and the salt. Mix well. Add enough sugar according to your taste. Mild sweetness is enough for this preparation. The batter should be thick enough to coat well the kolusa karandi. Heat enough oil to fry. When the oil becomes hot, dip the karandi in the hot oil and after a few minutes, take it away and dip the hot karandi into the batter and immediately immerse again in the hot oil. After a few seconds just shake the karandi and the murukku will leave from the karandi and float in the oil. When it turns golden brown, take it away. Thus finish all the batter.

gvb
13th June 2005, 09:16 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Can u give me the recipe for Tasty curd rice?(Kadugu thalichu)..Somehow i cudn't get the exact taste that i used to have at my home..

Regards,
GVB

Urmila
13th June 2005, 09:57 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
In your recipe for Crablegs soup, looks like the crabs have run away before we can cook them ,,, Just joking ! Actually, wanted to let you know that it is not mentioned in the method, at what stage & how to add them to the soup. Couldn't resist the joke, hope you don't feel offended .
Regards,
Urmila.

Mrs.Mano
13th June 2005, 01:16 PM
[tscii:242899e28d]Dear Urmila!

I was not offended as you have mentioned that it was a joke.
Jokes apart, I have to thank you for pointing out the mistake I have done in posting that recipe. Here I am re-posting the same recipe with the correction.

CRAB LEGS SOUP:

Ingredients:

Crab legs -8
Tamarind- a lime size
Crushed tomato-1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Fennel seeds- 2 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Red chillies-3
Peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Garlic flakes[small]- 8
Salt to tatse
Oil- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in water and extract its juice. Mix water to it to make it as 4 to 5 cups. Grind coarsely the red chillies with the peppercorns, garlic flakes, cumin seeds, and 1 tsp of fennel seeds. Add this to the tamarind water with the turmeric powder, the crab legs and enough salt. Let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium fire. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the remaining fennel seeds and curry leaves. Fry them for a few seconds and add this to the simmering soup. Again let the soup simmers for another 5 minutes.

[/tscii:242899e28d]

Kavitha Ravi
14th June 2005, 06:49 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, my mother used to bash up the crab legs, before she adds to the soup.S he says that way we could get all the juice of the crabs in the soup.
Thanks.
Kavitha Ravi

sharky
15th June 2005, 04:25 PM
Hello Mrs. .Mano,

You are doing a very good job. Im new to this forum. I downloaded all your recipes. Will try one by one.

I live in karama, Dubai. Can you tell me the name of the restaurant run by your husband?

regards,
sharky.

Mrs.Mano
16th June 2005, 01:16 AM
[tscii:1d4048506c]Dear Suganthi!

For Curd rice- Normally the taste will be delicious if you prepare it with a good type of milk. Tinned full cream milk powder will yield good results. According to the quantity of the rice, you must prepare the milk. If you go for a cup of raw rice, you must prepare 2 to 2 ½ cups of milk. The rice prepared by the cooker method will be tastier than the normal procedure we follow to cook the rice by draining the kanji. So prepare the rice and the milk separately and let them cool down a bit. Then mash down the rice with a spoon and then mix with the milk. Add 4 to 5 tbsp of fresh curd and mix well with enough salt. Heat a kadai and pour 3 tbsp of gingelly oil. When it becomes hot, add 1 tsp of mustard seeds. When they splutter, add a small piece of asafotida and when it turns to a brown colour, pour this to the rice. Chop 3 green chillies and 1” piece of ginger into small pieces and add these to the rice and mix well. Add a handful of curry leaves. Cover the vessel with a lid and keep it like that for 5 to 6 hours. Now open the vessel and add 4 to 5 tbsps of curd or a cup of tasty butter milk of a thick variety. Mix well. I always mix both butter milk and the curd for the extra taste. The tastiest curd rice depends on the quality of rice, cooking method, quality of the curd and the milk.

[/tscii:1d4048506c]

Mrs.Mano
16th June 2005, 01:18 AM
Hello Sharky!

My husband runs Safire Restaurant at Rolla Square, Sharjah.

kavithasenthil
16th June 2005, 01:24 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Tried potato masala curry last night. It tasted very good. Thks for the recipe.

dsankaran
16th June 2005, 01:50 AM
Mrs. Mano or anyone who has tried Meen puttu,

Can you please tell me what kuzhambu is a good combination for this side dish?

Thanks

gvb
16th June 2005, 03:09 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thank u very much for telling me how to prepare curd rice..I will definetely try it..I guess the problem is i Pour the milk straight out of the can without heating it..When am going out of town i'll make just like u said cos i'll have time to prepare..

Regards,
GVB

Shanthy
16th June 2005, 03:42 PM
Dear Mrs Mano

I tried the malai peda recipe you have posted. It was very good. Texture was perfect. Really sweet. Thank you for the recipe.

Regards
Shanthy

sharky
16th June 2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for responding Mrs. Mano.

Can you please tell me how to make keerai kadaisal without any paruppu which can be taken with plain rice and ghee?

Regards,
sharky.

gvb
16th June 2005, 11:47 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano.,
Hope u are well..Made Tomato Biryani today and it tasted great..I used only little bit of coconut milk but still the rice came out so soft..Thanks.

Regards,
SUganthi

arrecipes
17th June 2005, 06:04 AM
Hi,
I was just going through the thread and got impressed by Mrs.Mano's work. Hats off to u Mrs. Mano for this fabulous job.
Can any of you mail me the recipes of Mrs. Mano to the following id: arrecipes@yahoo.com

kavithasenthil
17th June 2005, 06:23 AM
Hello Malini!

Hope this helps.

ammu
17th June 2005, 06:50 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I read in one of the threads about taking methi seeds soaked overnight in buttermilk for diabetes ,given by you . Now I'm not able to find the details.Please ,could you give the details about consuming methi seeds early in the morning,
Thanking you
Ammu

arrecipes
17th June 2005, 10:00 PM
Hi,
When I was going thro' the thread I came to know that Chettinad Chicken Briyani recipe by Mrs. Mano turns out to be a good one. But I could not locate one from the thread. Can anyone repost that recipe again.

arrecipes

umasas2002
17th June 2005, 10:04 PM
[tscii:06b2ef625f]Hello arrecipes,

here is the chettinad chicken biriyani recipe from Mrs. Mano's collection:

CHETTINADU CHICKEN BRIYANI: .
Soak ½ kilo basmati rice in water for half an hour. Heat a vessel suitable for Briyani and pour enough ghee and oil. Add 2 cloves, 2 cinnamon pieces, 2 kalpasi, 1sp crushed bay leaves and 2 spring of curry leaves. Fry well. Add one handful of chopped mint leaves and 200gms chopped onions. Fry well to a light brown colour. Add 1sp ginger paste, 1sp garlic paste and 200gms chopped tomato pieces. Cook well until the tomatoes are mashed well and the ghee floats on the top. Add 5 slit green chillies. Add ½ kilo chicken pieces and toss well. Add 2sp Coriander powder and 1sp chilli powder. Mix well. Add ½ cup curd and fry for a few minutes. Add 1tbsp mint leaves again, 1tbsp ghee and ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves. Add enough salt and water. Add the rice and cook in the medium fire until the rice is 3/4th cooked and almost all the water in the briyani is absorbed. Then cook the briyani in ‘dhum’.

Regards,
umasas2002[/tscii:06b2ef625f]

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2005, 12:43 AM
Dear Kavitha!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Potato masala curry.

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2005, 12:43 AM
Hello dsankaran!

Meen kuzhambu or any pulikuzhambu-even vathal kuzhambu with lots of garlic flakes is a good combination with meen puttu as a side dish.

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2005, 12:44 AM
Dear Shanthy!

It gives me much satisfaction to know that you had been successful with the peda recipe. Thank you very much for the feedback.

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2005, 12:45 AM
Dear Sharky!

Here is a tasty recipe for keerai kadaiiyal. I am not sure whether I have posted this recipe previously. With palak keerai, you will get a fine result.

KEERAI KADAIYAL:

Ingredients:

Finely chopped keerai-8 to 10 cups
Finely chopped sambar onions- 1/4 cup
Crushed green chilli- 1
Small garlic flakes- 6
Finely chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Coconut oil- 1 tsp
Cooking oil- 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the cooking oil. When it becomes hot, add the onion, garlic flakes and the grren chillies. Fry them on slow fire for a few minutes and then add the chopped keerai. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the keerai. When the keerai is almost done, add enough salt and the coriander leaves. Again cook for a few minutes. Finally add the coconut oil and cook for a few seconds.

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2005, 12:46 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Tomato briyani.

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2005, 12:47 AM
Dear Ammu!

You can soak 1 or 2 tsps of fenugreek seeds in a small cup of fresh curd and keep it in the fridge. In the morning you can take it in the empty stomach instead of coffee. Or you can soak them in a cup of water overnight and then eat them with curd in the morning.
If you want, I will write about the preparation of fenugreek powder which can be taken in the morning to lessen the rising level of glucose.

sharky
18th June 2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks Mrs. mano,

Will try out the keerai kadayal and get back to you.

sharky.

sharky
18th June 2005, 12:56 PM
Mrs. Mano,

Can you please tell me how to make spicy pasta ?

Thanks,
sharky.

kavithasenthil
21st June 2005, 04:24 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Tried vangaya puli kuzhambu on saturday. It was really really delicious. Got good appreciation from my husband. Thks a lot. Love to try more recipes of kuzhambu.

arrecipes
21st June 2005, 05:58 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Can u give me the measurements for Sambhar powder and Rasam powder.
For powdering the fenugreek, should we roast it or can grind it directly?
arrecipes

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2005, 07:14 PM
Dear Kavitha!

I felt very happy that you had been successful on Vengaya puli kuzhambu. Thank you very much for the nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2005, 07:15 PM
[tscii:b5f74cdd26]Hello arrecipes!

I have already posted the recipe for sambar podi. You can fry the spices including the fenugreek seeds light before grinding them. There is no need to fry them to golden brown colour.

Here is the recipe for RASAM POWDER.

RASAM POWDER:

Ingredients:

Coriander seeds- 2 tbsps
Lentils- 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Peppercorns- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- ¼ cup
Red chillies- 10
Ghee- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Fry all the ingredients in the ghee to a golden brown colour and then powder them little coarsely.

[/tscii:b5f74cdd26]

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2005, 08:07 PM
Hello Sharkey!
Here is a recipe of pasta for you!

VEGETABLE PASTA:

Ingredients:

Macroni shells [small] - 1 cup
Mixed vegetable- 1 1/2 cup
Chopped capsicum- 1/2 cup
Chopped spring onions- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Chilli sauce- 2 tbsps
Soya sauce- 1 1/2 tbsp
Butter- 2 tbsps+3tbsps
Oil- 2 tbsp
Aginomoto- 1/2 tsp
Sliced green chillies- 3
Chopped tomato- 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Boil the macroni in lots of water with enough salt. When they are cooked, drain them in a colander. Again pour 4 to 6 cups of cold water on it. After the water has been drained, put the macroni in a bowl and mix them well with 2 tbps of butter.
Heat a broad pan and pour the oil and the remaining butter. Add the mixed vegetables with the tomatoes, green chillies and the pastes, and fry them until they are cooked well. Then add the spring onions and the chopped capsicum. Fry them for a few minutes. Add the macroni with the sauces and the ajinomoto. Fry them for a few seconds.

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2005, 08:55 PM
I am posting here again a few sweet recipes.

BHADAM HALWA:

Ingredients:

Almonds- 250 gms
Milk- 200ml
Sugar- 350 gms
Ghee- 300gms

Procedure:

Soak the almonds in hot water for 30 minutes. Then remove the skins. Grind them with the milk to a coarse paste. Make kambi paahu syrup with the sugar. [Single thread consistency] Add the bhadam paste and fry on a medium slow fire. Stir continuously. Warm the ghee and add it to the almond paste. When the halwa leaves the sides of the pan, pour it on a greased plate. When cooled, cut it in to desired pieces.

DISCO PUTTU:

Ingredients:

Bengal gram- 1 cup
Green gram- 1 cup
Lentils- 1 cup
Ghee- 1 1/2 cup
Sugar- 4 cups
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Fried cashew nuts- 1/4 cup

Procedure:

Fry the dals separately in a dry pan to a golden brown colour and then soak them in enough water for 3 hours. Then drain the water and grind them to a coarse paste. Heat a pan and pour the ghee. Add the ground paste and fry them continuously on medium fire until they turn into a soft texture like breadcrumbs. Powder the sugar and add it to the mixture. Mix well and fry for a few minutes until every thing is well combined. Add the cardamom powder with the coconut and the cashew nuts. Fry for a few seconds.

kavithasenthil
21st June 2005, 09:57 PM
Hello Mrs.MAno,
do you have recipe for kadala urundai/burfy? Pls post it if you have.

dsankaran
22nd June 2005, 01:39 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

I made meen puttu and poondu kuzhambu as per your suggestion. Turned out really good. Thank you.

- D

Urmila
22nd June 2005, 02:55 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Can we use parboiled rice, 'puzhungal arisi' for everyday meals, in place of 'pacharisi' , because I've heard it is better for health? But not sure if we can use for everyday cooking. I bought this ponni boiled rice by mistake, but not cooking softly, even after 5 whistles. How to make this soft for eating with dal, sambar etc. ?

And can you give some tips to make proper shape of medu vada ? I've tried so many times, but can never get the centre hole, so only end up making small bondas. Are the 'vada maker' available in shops useful, which brand is suitable ?

Thanks & Waiting for your advise,
Urmila.

kavithasenthil
22nd June 2005, 03:07 AM
Hi urmila,
Definatly it is good for health compared to pacharisi. The reason is Vitamin B6 precents in parboiled rice. It is amazing that our munorkal knows this well and prepared parboiled rice.

Noodles
22nd June 2005, 10:57 AM
Mrs. Mano

This is my kind request, Could u pls post recipes for Mushroom
I have bought canned Mushrooms.

Thanx

ammu
23rd June 2005, 06:00 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thank you so much for the response. Pls give me the recipe of the fenugreek powder. I was upset with this glucose level.I am now in 110 glucose level, but I might get diabetes if i am not concious abt food and exercise.
thanks
Ammu

arrecipes
25th June 2005, 04:54 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Once In a hotel I happen to taste the chicken drumstick fry. The dish was coated with some spices and it was very soft. By looking at it,seemed that it was not fried in oil. I don't remember the name of it. Have u come across such dishes, If possible post the recipe for the same.
arrecipes

sharky
25th June 2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Mrs. Mano. Will try out the Vegetable pasta.

I tried your keerai kadayal. It came out well....But could not eat much as it was tooooooo greeny. :roll:

Regards,
sharky.

Mrs.Mano
25th June 2005, 11:46 PM
Dear dsankaran!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on meen puttu and poondu kuzhambu.
Dear Urmila!

Mrs.Mano
25th June 2005, 11:47 PM
[tscii:fc0e5351b3]Par boiled rice [puzhungal arisi] is very good for health compared to raw rice. Raw rice sometimes induces stomach problems.
To cook the ponni boiled rice in the cooker, first soak the rice in water for ½ hour. Then drain the water. Add fresh water in 3:1 ratio-that is 3 cups of water are needed for 1 cup of rice. You must cook the rice up to 7 to 8 whistles on medium high fire. Some fresh ponni rice only needs 2 ½ cups of water to cook. It varies according to the texture of the rice and you must test it for yourself.

About making vadai-I can not say anything about the vadai maker as I have never tried it.
When grinding the soaked black gram, water should not be added. If needed, it must be sprinkled a little in between the intervals. Then you can get thick dough and you can make ahole in the center. I am re-posting the methu vadai recipe here so that you can clear yr doubts on it.

ULUNTHU VADAI OR METHU VADAI:

Whole black grams or black grams with the skin are suitable for making this vadai. Soak 1 cup of this black gram with 1tbsp raw rice in water for 4 hours.
If it is skinned, then wash and remove the skin completely before grinding it.
Grind the ulunthu without water for a few minutes and then, by sprinkling a little water for 2 or three times, grind the ulunthu to a thick, fluffy paste.
It is to better to grind the ulunthu in a grinder than a blender.
Lastly, add enough salt and grind for a few minutes.
Heat the kadai and pour enough oil.
Wet yr hands in water and take a lemon sized ball and flatten it into a vadai on a greased polythene paper with the wet hands.
Make a hole in the centre.
Toss it in the oil carefully and fry it on both sides to a golden brown colour.
The fire should be medium.
The rice is added to make the vadais crisp on the outer layer.
You can add chopped onions, finely chopped ginger and green chillies, curry leaves, coriander leaves and whole peppercorns to the batter before frying the vadais in the oil.
If you soak 2tbsp lentils with the black gram and then grind it, the vadais will not absorb much oil when frying them

[/tscii:fc0e5351b3]

Mrs.Mano
25th June 2005, 11:48 PM
Dear Kavitha!
I will post the recipe of kadalai urundai soon!

tomato
27th June 2005, 09:31 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Pls do post some recipes of mushroom and babycorn dishes.
Can u also post some recipes using shitaki mushrooms. I'm told that they r not only nutritious but also have a lot of medicinal properties.
Rgds,
Tomato.

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2005, 08:12 PM
Dear Kavitha!

Here is the recipe for kadalai urundai.

KADALAI URUNDAI:

Ingredients:

Jaggeyr- 1 cup
Groundnuts- 2 cups
Water-1/2 to 3/4 cup

Procedure:

Roast the groundnuts in a dry pan till they become light golden colour. Let them cool down. Then remove the skins. Make thick syrup [kettippaagu or muthirpaagu or muththuppaagu] with the jaggery If you pour a drop in a bowl of water, you should make a firm ball out of it. In that stage, put off the fire and add the groundnuts. Mix well. When they are cooled down a little make, make balls out of them.

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2005, 08:21 PM
Hello Noodles!
Here are a few recipes on mushroom for you!

MASHROOM MASALA:

INGREDIENTS:

Mushroom- 250 gms
Coconut paste- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Grind the following ingredients in to a fine paste:
Red chillies-6
Peppercorns- 1 tsp
Cardamom- 2
Cloves- 2
Cinnamon pieces-2
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Sambar onions- a handful
Garlic flakes- 6

Procedure:

Add the ground paste, turmeric powder and enough salt with the mushrooms and mix well. Pour the oil in a pan and heat it. Add the mushroom mixture and fry well on medium fire until they are cooked. At the final stage, add the coconut paste and mix well. Fry for a few seconds and put off the fire. Decorate with chopped coriander leaves.

MASHROOM CURRY:

Ingredients:Mushrooms- 250 kg

Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 5 tbsp
Chopped onion-1 cup
Tomato juice- 3 tbsp
Chopped coriander- 2tbsp
Mint leaves-a handful
Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
Ground the following ingredients to a fine paste:
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Green chilllies- 5
Cashew nuts-5
Almonds- 5
Poppy seeds- 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Garlic flakes-5
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Cinnamon-1 piece
Cardamom-4

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and fry them until they become golden brown. Add the mushroom with the ground paste, tomato juice, turmeric powder and enough salt. Cook the mushroom until the masala is slightly thickened. Add the coconut milk with the greens. Cook for a few seconds.

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2005, 08:25 PM
Dear Ammu!

Yr glucose level has the tendency to shoot up. You can use this powder to maintain with the correct level. My mother who is having diabetes still takes this powder even in the age of 85 and maintains her glucose level correctly.
After the breakfast, you should take 1 tsp of this powder with a cup of warm water. Do not eat anything for 45 minutes after that. If the sugar level is a little high, you can take two times a day.

FENUGREEK POWDER:

Roast 2 cups of fenugreek seeds with 2 tbsp of peppercorns to a light golden brown colour. When cooled down, grind them to a fine powder.

ys
27th June 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Could u pls post recipe for "mushroom pepper gravy" ? (i had this in chennai..it was really great..i couldn't find a recipe for above)

thanks and rgds
ys

R
28th June 2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

We are doing baby shower for one of my friend and planning to keep potluck too.

Since I am going to make sweets, thought of trying coconut burfi; the number of people will be 30 incl. kids and adults. So, I was told to make around 50 to 60, in that case, how many cups of coconut I have to take?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.

arrecipes
28th June 2005, 09:12 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried the Aapam(Raw rice) with Vadai curry and it turned out to be a super duper hit in my family. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
arrecipes

arrecipes
28th June 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi,
Can anyone post the recipe of tomato biryani. I cannot locate it in this thread.
arrecipes

arrecipes
28th June 2005, 09:14 PM
Can anyone tell what a mutter is?

kavithasenthil
28th June 2005, 10:51 PM
Mrs.Mano,
thks for kadala urundai recipe.

Raathi
29th June 2005, 01:28 AM
Here is Mrs.Mano's Recipe!
TOMATO BRIYANI:
Heat a vessel and pour 4 tbsp of ghee. When it becomes hot, add 3 onions which are chopped finely and fry them to a light brown colour. Then add 3 cups of crushed tomatoes with 1 sp of turmeric powder and cook the vegetables until they are mashed well and the ghee floats on the surface. Powder 1sp fennel seeds, with 1 big piece of cinnamon, 2 cardamom, and 2 cloves and add the powder to the masala. Fry it for a few seconds. Add 4 slit green chillies, 1 handful of mint leaves and 2tbsp of chopped coriander leaves to the tomato masala and fry for a few seconds. Extract thick cococnut milk from 1 cup of shredded coconut and pour the milk in the vessel. Add enough water also. The milk and the water should be measured into 6 cups. Add 3 and half cup of soaked briyani rice and cook on medium fire until the rice is almost cooked to 3/4th. Now add the salt and mix well. When all the water is evaporated, take out the vessel and keep it in the ‘dum’ either in the ordinary way or in the oven.
[/tscii:8d75d906c1]

MysoreHudugi
29th June 2005, 01:30 AM
Mutter is peas.

tomato
29th June 2005, 09:10 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried the 'Mushroom Masala' today. But used babycorn in place of mushroom, so I should say it was babaycorn masala. Needless to say it tasted great. Next time I'll try it with button mushrooms. Thank you for the recipe.
Pls do remember to post some recipes using shitaki mushroom and babycorn.
Rgds,
tomato.

gvb
29th June 2005, 06:24 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
I made "Masala murukku" yesterday with rice flour..Surprisingly it had only just a hint of masala which i loved and also tasted great.Thank u,Mrs.Mano.

GVB

Mrs.Mano
2nd July 2005, 09:53 AM
Dear Tomato!

I felt happy to know that yr babycorn masala tasted great.
I am posting below a few recipes on babycorn for you!
Shitaki mushrooms have medicinal values and even a kind of tea is prepared with them. But I have never tried them in my recipes. I use only button mushrooms. I think the following links with shitake mushrooms will be helpful to you.

http://www.apubasenjis.com/Recipies.html
http://recipes.ksl.com/recipe-2019i.php
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/57/RiceStickNoodlesWithExotic65997.shtml

BABY CORN PAKORAS:

Ingredients

Baby corns-8 to 10
Plain flour- 1 cup
Corn flour- 1/4
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Grind coarsely the following ingredients:
Mint leaves-1 tbsp
Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Green chilli-1
Ginger-1/2 tsp
Garlic flakes-2
Salt to taste
Enough oil

Procedure:

Mix the flours and the powders with the ground paste and add enough salt and water to make a thick batter. Cut the baby corns lengthwise into four pieces. Dip the pieces one by one in the batter and fry them in hot oil to a golden brown colour.

BABY CORN AND PALAK MASALA:

Ingredients:

Bay corns- 1/2 kilo
Chopped palak- 2 cups
Crushed tomato-2 cups
Chopped onion- 1
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves- 3 tbsp
Oil- 4 tbsp
Grind the following ingredients in to a fine paste:
Coriander powder-2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Peppercorns- 10
Ginger- 1/2 tsp
Small garlic flakes-5

Procedure:

Blanch the spinach leaves in hot water. Remove, drain and puree in a food processor to a fine paste. Cut the baby corns into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Saute the bay corns with the onion for a few minutes. Add the turmeric powder and the ground paste and fry for a few seconds. Then add the crushed tomatoes and fry for a few minutes. Add a little water and cook the bay corns until they become tender and the gravy is thickened. Add the ground palak with the coriander leaves. Cook the gravy until every thing is well blended.

Mrs.Mano
2nd July 2005, 09:54 AM
Hello Ys!
I hope that the following link will be helpful for you to have mushroom pepper gravy.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/indian/00/rec0031.html

Mrs.Mano
2nd July 2005, 09:54 AM
Dear R!

I think that you can get 8 to 10 burfies for a cup of shredded coconut. It depends upon the size. So you have to make 5 to 7 cups of shredded coconut ready for preparing the coconut burfies.

Mrs.Mano
2nd July 2005, 09:55 AM
Dear arrecipes!

Yr appreciation really inspires me to post more and more tasty recipes. Thank you very much for the feedback on aappam and vadai curry.

Mrs.Mano
2nd July 2005, 09:55 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on masala murukku.

R
2nd July 2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks a lot for yr reply, Mrs.Mano.

Actually, dont have a measuring cup; mine is a big tumbler. As per yr measurement around 5 to 6 cups should be fine, guess. And abt size, I was told to put a smaller one so that everyone can take either 1 or 2 pieces.

Since the qty is on the larger amt. am planning to split into 2 batches; will also get some idea abt the pieces from the first bach itself. Thank you so much..

Bye.

R
2nd July 2005, 02:41 PM
One more doubt, Mrs.Mano..

What is the English name for pana kizhangu and thinai? or, how do we people nowadays represent panakizhangu? Thinai-heard abt it, but does not know abt the look.

Sorry to bother you and thanks in advance.

sharky
4th July 2005, 12:29 PM
Mrs Mano,

Tried Vegetable pasta. It came out well. Thanks for posting the recipe on request.

regards,
sharky.

maggie
6th July 2005, 10:16 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Wow, You are a legend. I was just going through the forum and i wished i stayed as your next door neighbour to taste all your tasty food.

But i am newbie in cooking and in kitchen only for 1 year and i am always looking for new and good receipes.

Can you please send me your receipes that you have posted to my mail id gseenivasagam@yahoo.com.au

Thank you in advance

arrecipes
7th July 2005, 03:26 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

I tried ur recipes of Aapam, Kozhi Kozhambu and Mor Kozhambu. Aapam with Kozhi Kozhambu was fabulous. Mor Kozhambu was little bitter I followed the same method and measurement as in ur recipe.

arrecipes
7th July 2005, 03:30 AM
Mrs. Mano,
Can u post the recipe of Kadappa - an accompaniment of idli and dosa. This dish is famous in Chidambaram area.

R
8th July 2005, 03:08 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Yesterday, for the baby shower, prepared coconut burfi; around 6 tumblers took to make 60 burfis.

For the first batch, made it in a medium fire and hence,the color was creamish white; but, it took a long time. So,for the second batch, kept in high flame and hence, the color came out red like some milk cake.

Either way,that sweet was very hit and everyone loved it. They all kept on taking like 2 or 3. All their appreciations/credit goes to you. they all did not believe that it was coconut burfi. So many compliments and appreciations.

Thanks to you a lot & lot..
--------------------------------

a few doubts-I was using white iron vanali, at the last stage, though I kept the fire in medium, the sides were becoming red and I removed them with a spoon. To avoid this problem, what to do?

When I made in a smaller qty, the color was very white. But, the first batch itself came out creamish color(not pure white). Is that how it will be? Understood that we are stirring for a long time.

Can you suggest me some tips on stirring coconut burfi for a large quantities?

Mrs.Mano
8th July 2005, 08:55 PM
[tscii:6c905fa6f4]Dear R!

I couldn’t find out the appropriate English words for panam kizhangu and thinai. If I come across the English names in future, I will inform you definitely.
I also have not seen ‘Thinai’ till date.

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘Coconut burfi’. I felt happy to know that yr guests have enjoyed them very much.

If we use hindalium kadai[white], the light brown patches will be there around the vanali during the preparation of coconut burfi. We must stir the burfi continuously until it is cooked and the process is finished. If you use Kolkatta vanali, the trouble will be less when you stir the burfi mixture. I do not know about the non-stick pan. Suppose you can get a white burfi with it. In a microwave oven, you can prepare this without any hassles.
[/tscii:6c905fa6f4]

Mrs.Mano
8th July 2005, 08:56 PM
Dear Sharkey!

Thank you very much for the feedback on the vegetable pasta.

Mrs.Mano
8th July 2005, 08:56 PM
Dear Maggie!

Thanks a lot for the appreciation on my work.

Mrs.Mano
8th July 2005, 09:01 PM
[tscii:928090f6bd]Hello arrecipes!

Thank you very much for the feedback on aappam, kozhi kuzhambu and mor kuzhambu.
I couldn’t find the reason for the bitterness in yr mor kuzhambu. I think you might have added a little more fenugreek seeds.
Here I am posting the recipe of Kadappa for you! There are so many recipes on Kadappa. It is different from place to place. But this one will be very delicious.

KADAPPA:

Ingredients:

Green gram- 1/4 cup
Medium sized potato-2
Chopped onion- 1/2 cup
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Cloves-2
Cardamom-2
Bay leaves-2
Slit green chillies-3
Salt to taste
Oil-4 tbsp
Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:
Green chillies-2
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 2 tbsp
Cinnamon-1 piece

Procedure:

Cook the green gram and the potatoes in a pressure cooker and then mash finely. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the cardamom, bay leaves and the cloves and fry for a few minutes. Add the onion with the green chillies and the tomatoes and fry well until they are cooked and the oil floats on the surface. Add the mashed ingredients with the ground paste, salt and 2 cups of water. Let it simmer for some minutes until every thing is blended well and the gravy is slightly thickened.
[/tscii:928090f6bd]

Mrs.Mano
9th July 2005, 12:23 AM
[tscii:27fc2cd432]Dear R!
You can see the explanations about ‘Thinai’ and ‘Panamkizhangu’ in the following links.
http://www.arusuvai.com/fooditems/roots/panankilangu_522.html
http://www.arusuvai.com/fooditems/cereals/thinai_3.html
[/tscii:27fc2cd432]

R
9th July 2005, 02:45 AM
That was so nice and excellent of you; now, I know that thinai is millet flour, can check in local stores. I just want to include the same in my kids' diet, was wondering how?

thank you so much..will try a small pack and let you know the taste.

A note:

Have you used thinai in any food? Back at home, my grand mother would told that in her villages, some people were taking thinai maavu adding honey, ghee etc. Similarly, my mother would prepare with some flour(dont remember the exact) the same & it was so yummy.

R
9th July 2005, 02:48 AM
About panam kizhangu, have a small doubt(sorry for the continuous pestering)-panakarkandu & panavellam belongs to the same family as panam kizhangu(panai maram)?

Thanks a million once again.

Bye.

Kz
10th July 2005, 02:59 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Tried ur chilli gobi recipe, it was great.my hubby liked it a lot. should the cauliflower be crispy or soft? it was mostly soft and some crispy but the taste was great. also how should the marination batter be, in what consistency? Thanks a lot!
Bye,
Kz.

maggie
10th July 2005, 05:51 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

I have downloaded all your receipes. Thank you very much. Now i am going to try them one by one.

U know what i am going to do now, i am going to send this to my mum as well.

Hats off :clap:

maggie
11th July 2005, 06:09 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

My husband does not comment while eating but always after few hours he says that i am not a good cook. Every day we end up fighting. :oops:

Today i made ur chicken briyani and had a fight. :?:

do u know for what ? coz i made little amount of briyani. :evil:

I think only today, he has told me that i have cooked some real good food and i think all those credit goes to you.

Thank you.
I will try your other receipes as well and will defn post my results on them

kavithasenthil
11th July 2005, 09:01 PM
hi maggie,
try mrs.mano's vengaya puli kuzhambu. But reduce corriander powder according to ur taste. Your husband will really appreciate you.

Mrs. Mano,

My husband also told me that i became very good cook now a days. He said..initially i cooked few tasty recipes and lot of bad ones,but now all r awesome. It is hard to earn good comment from him as he has sensitive teeth. he always say average recipe as bad one and awesome recipe as a good one. Finally i got good comment from him. I am happy and proud now. All credit goes to you,bhargavi,hemant and R. Thks all of you.

Sorry sowmya i havent tried any of ur recipe. Will try them soon.

di
12th July 2005, 12:15 AM
hi Mrs Mano,
in the kadappa recipe is greem gram the split yellow paruppu or the green whole moong dal? and is this dish served with rice or roti? thanks in advance

Mrs.Mano
12th July 2005, 12:51 AM
[tscii:9b014469c4]Hello R!

I think I have seen this ‘thinai’ in our native plave, may be in ‘Kadhi emporium’. But I had no interest to buy it. Because I heard that its taste is similar to Kambu. I had tasted ‘Kambu’in my friend’s house. Its khoozh was served with a tasty tomato chutney and chicken kuzhambu. It was delicious. But it is a heavy food and I couldn’t forget the heaviness I felt through out the day. Later, I came to know that Kambu is a good controller of appetite.
Panai vellam and panam kalkandu belong to the same ‘panai’family.

[/tscii:9b014469c4]

Mrs.Mano
12th July 2005, 12:52 AM
Hello Kz!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Chilli gobi.
The fried gobi will be soft only. It will not be crisp. The batter must be thick so that it will coat the florets evenly.

Mrs.Mano
12th July 2005, 12:53 AM
Dear Maggie!

Thank you very much for yr nice compliment.
In fact this kind of appreciation is like a great award for my hard work.
I am happy that you had prepared a tasty briyani even without any experience. Definitely you can become a great cook very soon.

Mrs.Mano
12th July 2005, 12:56 AM
Dear Kavitha!

Thanks a lot for the nice compliment. Rewards like these will work as a catalyst for me to immerse in my work more and more.

Mrs.Mano
12th July 2005, 12:56 AM
[tscii:f17aa775a6]Hello Di!

Split green gram is used for making “kadappa”. This is a suitable accompaniment for roties, idlis and dosais. It is not suitable with rice.
[/tscii:f17aa775a6]

Mrs.Mano
12th July 2005, 01:00 AM
I am again posting here a few sweet recipes.

RAGI ADAI:[KEZHVARAGU ADAI]

Ingredients:

Ragi flour- 500gms
Crushed jaggery- 200gm
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Salt- a pinch

Procedure:

Sieve the flour. Heat a kadai and add the jaggery to it with a cup of water. When the jaggery starts to simmer, add the flour with the cardamom powder, salt and the coconut. Stir and cook the flour on a slow fire until the flour is blended with the jaggery. Take it out and place it in a bowl. When it is cooled a bit, make balls with greased hands. Heat a tawa and place the ball on it. Flatten it thinly and cook it on medium fire. Ghee can be poured around it. When the bottom side is cooked, turn it to the other side.

SWEET MURUKKU:

Ingredients:

Raw rice flour- 4 cups
Green gram- 1 cup
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Sugar- 1/2 cup
Butter- 50 gm
Enough salt
White sesame seeds- 2 tbps
Hing powder- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Roast the green gram in a dry pan till golden brown. When cooled, pound it to a fine powder. Sieve the flours. Grind the coconut to a coarse paste. Mix the sugar with a little water and heat it. Let it boil for a minute. When it is cooled, add it to the flours with the coconut, sesame seeds, salt, butter and hing powder. Make a soft dough and then put it in a murukku press. Press the dough in hot oil and fry them to a golden brown colour.

Kz
12th July 2005, 02:15 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
Thankyou for clearing my doubt, i think i made the batter little thinner, next time will make it thicker.

Thankyou!
Kz

R
12th July 2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks Mrs.Mano for making clear about thinai.

di
13th July 2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks Mrs Mano for answering my question abt Kadappa!

Inimai
13th July 2005, 12:42 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made Mysore masala dosai as per your recipe. It came out vey well. Thank you!

arrecipes
13th July 2005, 02:11 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried Kadappa and it came out very well. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

rain
13th July 2005, 11:14 PM
hi,

can anyone please suggest how to make buttermilk of nice consistency?curd becomes too thick and heavy at times and would prefer good buttermilk .thanks in advance,

rain

rajshank
14th July 2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Can u please give me the recipe of Jewarisi (Sabudana) Vadaam.

Thanx
Rajshank

maggie
14th July 2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Kavitha,

Thanks for the suggestion & i will defn try in a couple of days and post my experience..

maggie
14th July 2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,
My friend loves Gulab jaamun in nice rainy weather and i went for ur receipes again..
I think i made big balls but still it came out good ... nice and crispy.
I spl like the syrup..i followed your measurments ...not too sweet and not too bad..

Thankz for making my head high with my frnds... :lol:

tastemakers
14th July 2005, 05:36 PM
Mrs Mano

How do we get crispy samosas . Do we have to roll out the samosa thick or thin. Could you please post me a recipe for the outer crust for crispy samosa

Thank you

Priya

di
15th July 2005, 02:15 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,
i made "Sambar Sadam" according to your recipe and it turned out great! thanks for posting such tasty and easy recipes!

gvb
17th July 2005, 02:59 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made "Mushroom Masala" this morning and it was a hit with my husband.I was really happy cos this is my first attempt with Mushrooms.But when cooked at Medium fire,its leaving a lot of water.So i had to keep the last few minutes at med hi to get it thick.Is that how it will be.?

Thanx for yet another wonderful recipe.

Regards,
Suganthi.

pr
17th July 2005, 11:26 PM
Dear Mrs mano
I tried potato kola . Unfortunately , kola dint remain intact and it started disintegrating when i dropedd the balls in oil . I dont know where i went wrong . I will try once again after getting the tips from you .
Thanks and Regards
PR

gvb
18th July 2005, 10:02 PM
[tscii:2eee44a4e3]Dear mrs.mano,
How are u ?I made “Thaneer Kuzhambu” just now..It was very simple to make and its tastes yum!.Also,I made cabbage chutney with some leftover cabbage I had and loved it.I guess it will go well with rice also.

I have a request to make Mrs.Mano.Can u post some recipes of cauliflower as a sidedish for rice?

Thanks and Regards,
Suganthi.
[/tscii:2eee44a4e3]

Mrs.Mano
19th July 2005, 11:02 PM
Dear Inimai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Mysore Masala Dosai.

Mrs.Mano
19th July 2005, 11:03 PM
Dear arrecipes!
Thank you very much for the feedback on Kadappa Chutney.

Mrs.Mano
19th July 2005, 11:09 PM
Hello Rajshank!

Here I am posting a recipe for "Javvarisi Vadakam". I have found this recipe in a magazine. I hope this will be helpful to you.

JAVVARISI VADAGAM:

Ingredients:

Javvarisi[sago]- 1 cup
Rice flour- 1 tbsp
salt to taste

Procedure:

Wash and soak the sago in enough water in the night. In the morning, mix the rice flour in a cup of warm water and add this to the javvarisi. Add enough water and salt to the sago. mix well and cook in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles. After opening the pressure cooker, add enough hot water to the sago mixture to make it to a pouring consistency. Pour a spoonful batter on a plastic sheet and spread it like a big coin.Finish all the batter like this. Dry them under the heat of sun.

Mrs.Mano
19th July 2005, 11:11 PM
Hello Maggie!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Gulab jamoon. I felt happy to know that yr gulabjamoons have got much appreciation.

sudhakarthik
20th July 2005, 03:49 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I read somwhere that you can dry the vadams in the conventional oven. Is it possible. Here in US, even though we have a patio it is not possible to dry the vadams there and in the winter it is even worse. So, if there is any way of drying the vadam in the convetional oven. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Sudha Karthik

malinibalaguru
21st July 2005, 07:25 PM
Hi,

Can anyone plz tell me where i can find the Mysore masala Dosai recipe by Mrs. Mano?

Thanks,
Malini

pr
21st July 2005, 07:48 PM
[tscii:6a7f9db102]Malini
I,m reposting Mrs Manos recipe for mysore masala dosai
MYSORE MASALA DOSAI:

For the batter- you can use idli/dosai batter. Some people will add a little poha, lentils, chennal dal and then semolina to the batter for a better taste and crispness. You can add a tbsp of Bengal gram, a tbsp of lentils and a tbsp of poha to 3 cups of rice, ¾ cup of black gram and 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds when you soak for the dosai. Then grind them to a fine batter. After the fermentation of 10 hours, add 1 tbsp of fine semolina, mix well and keep it for 30 minutes before preparing dosai.

For this you need potato masala which we will make for POORIS. But the masala must be thick and have a spreading consistency.

I am re-posting the recipe of red chutney here which we must spread on the dosai.

RED CHUTNEY:

Roast 3tbsp Bengal gram, 2tbsps black gram, 6 dry chillies in oil to light brown colour.
Grind them with a small gooseberry-sized tamarind, 5 peppercorns, 2tbsps shredded coconut, and 2tbsps chopped coriander leaves.
Mix butter to the chutney in 8tbsps:50gms ratio.

PROCEDURE FOR MAKING MYSORE MASALA DOSAI:

Spread a thin dosai on hot tawa. Immediately spread a thin coat of red chutney on it. Then put some potato masala on one side. Close with a lid and cook on medium fire. Then take away the lid, pour a sp of gingelly oil, and close the masala with the other half of dosai.
Otherwise, you can cook on both sides, apply the chutney on one side, , place the masala and close with the half side of the dosai and pour some oil. Cook on both sides till they become a little crisp.
Regards
Pr
[/tscii:6a7f9db102]

malinibalaguru
21st July 2005, 07:53 PM
Plz ignore my previous question. I finally found the recipe :D

malinibalaguru
21st July 2005, 07:55 PM
Hi Pr,

Just now I saw ur reply. Thank you very much for your prompt reply. :) .

malinibalaguru
21st July 2005, 08:01 PM
Can Pr or anyone tell me if we have to use idli rice (Boiled rice) or raw rice for Mysore Masala dosai?

Thanks in advance.

rajshank
22nd July 2005, 12:26 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Thanks a lot for your recipe. Can i grind some green chillies and add it to the Javvarisi vadam paste, to make it spicy...or should i add red chilli powder?

Rajshank

dlaxmi16
22nd July 2005, 09:50 AM
Hi,

Can anyone send me Mrs. Mano's recipes to my email id : dlaxmi16@yahoo.com..

Thanx,
Laxmi :)

malinibalaguru
22nd July 2005, 06:42 PM
Hi Laxmi,

You can download Mrs.Mano's recipes from

Malini

dlaxmi16
22nd July 2005, 09:51 PM
Hi Laxmi,

You can download Mrs.Mano's recipes from

Malini

Thanx Malini , for your prompt response..
Thanx a lot..
Where are you in US??

Laxmi

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2005, 11:42 PM
Dear Suganthi!

Here I am posting a few recipes on Cauliflower for you!
Before cooking the cauliflower, soak the cauliflower florets in hot water with 2 or 3 tbsp of salt for half an hour. This process will kill the worms and bacteria which are hidden inside the florets. Then again wash the florets several times and then you can use them for the cooking.

CAULIFLOWER SOUP:

Ingredients:

Cauliflower [chopped] - 250 kg
Plain flour- 2 tsp
Potato [chopped] - 1/2 cup
Milk- 1 1/2 cups
Chopped onion- 1/4 cup
Water- 2 cups
Butter- 1 tbsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
Grated cheese for garnishing
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Add the onion and fry it for a few seconds. Add the flour and mix well. Add the vegetables and fry for a few seconds. Add the milk and water. Cook on medium fire till the vegetables are tender. Liquidize and pass through a sieve. Add the pepper powder, salt and the sugar to the soup. Add warm water if necessary. Garnish with cheese.

CAULIFLOWER AND TOMATO FRY:

Ingredients:

Medium sized cauliflower- 1
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Ghee- 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Finely chopped tomatoes- 1 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Grind the following ingredients into a paste:
Crushed garlic- 2 tsp
Crushed ginger- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves- a handful
Grated coconut- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a small pan and add the tomatoes in it. Cook them until they are mashed and thickened. When cooled, grind it to a paste. Wash the cauliflower florets and steam cook them for 10 minutes. When cooled, Fry them in the ghee to a pale brown colour without breaking the florets. Take them away. In the same ghee, fry the onion to a golden brown colour. Then add the pastes with enough salt and the powders and fry them on slow fire until the oil floats on the surface. Add the fried florets and mix well. Fry them for a few minutes until they are blended well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2005, 11:46 PM
Hello Priya!

For crispy samosa, you have to roll the dough into a thin disc. For the dough, mix 3 tbsps of plain flour to 2 cups of wheat flour with 1 tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp of oil and enough salt. Mix with ice cold water and knead a soft dough.

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2005, 11:48 PM
Dear Priya!

I think that you might have added a little more gram dal powder. Reduce the quantity of pottukkadalai powder and try again.

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2005, 11:57 PM
Dear Sudha Karthik!

I never heard that the vadakams can be dried through the microwave process. But I heard that the vadakams can be dried beneath the ceiling fan. But the taste will not be the same as we have with the vadakams which are dried with the heat of the sun. Also the vadakams can not be dried crisply with the help of the ceiling fan.

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2005, 11:58 PM
Dear Malini!

Idli rice [par boiled rice] should be used for Mysore Masala Dosai.

Mrs.Mano
23rd July 2005, 12:02 AM
Hello Rajshank!

When you start to cook the javvarisi, you can add a little green chilli paste with a little lemon juice and asafoetida powder. Then you can pressure cook the javvarisi. Red chilli powder should not be added.

malinibalaguru
23rd July 2005, 12:11 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you very much for clarifying my doubt. I'll let you know the results soon.

Laxmi: you r welcome...and I stay in NJ.

Malini

gvb
23rd July 2005, 01:18 AM
[tscii:55668f8fad]Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thank u very much for cauliflower recipes.I will try them soon.Just wanted to let u know that I made ur “Sakkarai Pongal” today and it was heavenly..I also made “Mutter paneer” a couple of days back and that came out real good too.Thanx for all ur wonderful recipes.

Regards,
Suganthi[/tscii:55668f8fad]

gkals
23rd July 2005, 03:16 AM
Hi mrs mano,

I am planning to do ur javarisi vadam.For how many days should i dry it in sun.Thanks in advance.
from
kals

pr
23rd July 2005, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the clarification Mrs Mano . i will try again and let u know the results .
Thanks and Regards
PR

R
24th July 2005, 01:46 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

In yr recipe of Disco puttu, have mentioned to add lentils. I remember you were telling that lentils is thoor dal becoz in an American stores, the lentil packet has masoor dal!

Anyways, pls confirm me in yr recipe what dal is it?

Thanks.

maggie
24th July 2005, 08:42 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,

I always find reasons not to make rasam.Somehow or the other i will escape and get someone to make for me..but yesterday i had to make rasam (with the help of your professional receipes) for my husband as he is running temperature and when he had it...he said "i am cooking better these days and the taste of chicken briyanii made 2 weeks back which was one of your receipes is still in his tongue" and when he said that his mouth was watering..

he made me promise to make chicken briyani again after he gets better. :lol:

Thnks

arrecipes
24th July 2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Can u post the measurement for Idli podi.

arrecipes
27th July 2005, 04:12 AM
Dear Hubbers,

Can anyone help me out in making Wheat dosa. Thanks.

honeydew
27th July 2005, 09:15 AM
hello mrs.mano,
can u pls explain what is ' halwa padham' pls explain in detail .what i understood is the halwa we make should not touch the kadai ,even the bottom is it , tell me if i am correct. thanks in advance ,can u pls post bhadam halwa that is sold in shops like it will be yellow color , hope they add saffron can u post me the measurements if u have. thanks.

i am new in making these sweets and snacks .pls clarify my basic doubts.

regds
honey

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2005, 11:37 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on sarkkarai pongal and mutter paneer.

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2005, 11:37 AM
Dear Kals!

If the heat is much, the vadagams will be dried within a day. Then take out from the plastic sheet and again dry them in the heat of the sun putting the vadagams in a tray. 2 to 3 days are definitely enough. They must not be soft and they must be hard enough to make sound if we break it with our fingers.

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2005, 11:38 AM
Dear R!

Lentils mean thuar dal[Thuvaramparuppu].

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2005, 11:39 AM
Dear Maggie!

Thank you very much for the feedback on rasam. Try Jeeraka rasam for a different taste. It will be very delicious to eat with rice.

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2005, 11:41 AM
Dear arrecipes!

For wheat dosa, make a batter like dosa batter with enough salt. For 2 cups of wheat flour, you can add 2 tsps of cumin seeds, 1 tsp of asafetida powder and some curry leaves. You can prepare wheat dosas as usual dosai after an hour.

Here is the recipe for Idli Podi.

IDLI PODI:

Ingredients:

Black gram-1 cup
Red chillies- 1 cup
Bengal gram- 1/4 cup
White sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
Asafotida- a marble size piece
Par boiled rice- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Salt to taste

Procedure:

In a tsp of gingelly oil, fry the asafotida and the red chillies for a few minutes. Add all the ingredients and fry them to a golden brown colour. When cooled, grind them to a fine powder with enough salt.

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2005, 11:49 AM
[tscii:09b6caea42]Dear Honey dew!

When you make sweets, the type of sugar syrup is important. For halwas, the syrup should be in single thread consistency. For burfis and other sweets, it must be at the second stage and even at the third stage. When the syrup is boiling, you should take half spoon of it and if you pour it on a cup from a height, it should seem like a glossy thread [‘kambi’]. I have already posted the ‘Badam halwa’ recipe a few weeks back. You can try it. If you want more flavour and colour, you can mix a pinch of saffron in ¼ cup of warm milk and you can add this when the mixture for badam halva id boiling. When the mixture turns glossy and shiny and leaves from the sides without sticking at the bottom, when the ghee comes on the surface, then you can decide that it is the ‘halwa’ patham.
[/tscii:09b6caea42]

R
27th July 2005, 03:16 PM
thank you for the answer, Mrs.Mano.

honeydew
28th July 2005, 09:32 AM
oh mrs.mano tonnes of thanx for u, thanks again for ur explanation.

maggie
29th July 2005, 03:25 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Can you please post a receipe for butter beans. The other day when i went to supermarket i bought a couple of cans but can't think of what i can do with them.

Thankz

Urmila
29th July 2005, 04:57 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Can yu please post a nice recipe for making Egg Aapams ? The batter is the usual one, without any eggs. The egg is added to the aapam in the pan and cooked alongwith it. Hope it's clear what recipe I'm asking for ?
I just broke an egg into the center of the aapam, but it didn't cook fully. What is the correct procedure , should the egg be scrambled then added to aapam ? Please respond .
Thanks.

arrecipes
29th July 2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
I made Jeeraka Rasam and wheat dosa both turned out to be so good. Thanx for the help.

Raathi
30th July 2005, 01:49 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Tried your katharikkai & potato kothsu,keerai kadaiyal and veg pulao .All of them tasted delicious.Thank you very much for the simple,tasty and easy to make recipes.I'm sure that three of these recipes are going to stay with my family for ever.
Can you please answer these below doubts.
For the pulao do we have to measure the rise as heaped or leveled?
I would like to try your ginger and tomato thokku,tomato thokku1 and tomato thokku2 recipes.so please tell me the selflife and also do i have to store it a fridge?
If time permits could you post Kambu koozh(i guess some days ago you have explained about eating kambu koozh with tomato chutney and with chicken kuzhambu in one of your reply) Or any other Kambu recipes?

Thank you,
raathi.

R
1st August 2005, 11:11 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried poondu thuvayal or chutney. Somehow, though I fry it for a long time till it turn into red, the taste is coming out bitter. Is this how it will be? What is the solution?

thanks and take yr time to reply.

deviraja
2nd August 2005, 03:28 AM
Dear Mrs.mano
Ur recipes r excellent,it has the exact tanjore touch especially in the vegetarian items.My parents hail from mayuram which is near to tanjore,so i know about tanjore . i am calling a family this week to my house for dinner,could u give me a exact tamilian style veggie briyani recipe pls ?Thanks in adavance.
Regards
Deviraja

vijikr
3rd August 2005, 01:42 PM
HI Kh or anyone else,

Can u guyz please send me mrs. Mano's recipe To my email id!

dev
3rd August 2005, 03:47 PM
Hi viji,

I've sent the recipe collection...chk ur mail & let me know...

nalabaagam
3rd August 2005, 11:19 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

Hope you are doing fine.

I wanted to ask you about snacks using urad flour (dry uzhundu maavu). I have lots of them left and don't know what snacks I can make.

Please suggest something other than murukku, ribbon pakoda, etc. since I don't have murukku achchu.

Thanks,

Nalabaagam

vijikr
4th August 2005, 05:56 AM
Hi viji,

I've sent the recipe collection...chk ur mail & let me know...

Thanks a lot Dev I recd 2 files.

Hi MRs Mano,

I would like to how ow to make Sambahar Vadagam..??

Can u pls post the this recipe for me.

Mrs.Mano
5th August 2005, 11:37 PM
Dear Maggie!

I have never used tinned butter beans. Here I am pasting below a few links which will give you some recipes on it. Anyhow, you can wash and use the butter beans in vegetable kurma and gravies.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/beans.html
http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/BttrBnBrgrs.asp
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashok/akrecp4.htm

Mrs.Mano
5th August 2005, 11:45 PM
Dear Urmila!

For egg aappam- First pour the batter in the aappa chatti. Immediately take the aappa chatti from the fire and tilt it fully so that it will spread very thinly in the corners and thick in the center. The fire must be medium-low. Cover it with a lid. After one 2 seconds, take away the lid, pour the egg on the aappam and again tilt it slightly. Cover again with the lid. The appam and the egg will be cooked finely in this way

Mrs.Mano
5th August 2005, 11:47 PM
Dear arrecipes!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on jeera rasama and wheat dosai.

Mrs.Mano
6th August 2005, 12:05 AM
[tscii:c9ea94e108] Dear Raathi!

Thank you very much for the feedback on kaththarikkai and potato kothsu, keerai kadaiyal, and vegetable pulao.

For all the recipes, the measurement of the cups should be leveled. The quantity of the ingredients should not be heaped.

As tomatoes have much water in them, they tend to get spoiled within some days even though they are fried in the oil for a long time. Hence, it is better to keep the tomato and tomato-combined pickles in the fridge from the very beginning.

I will get this ‘kambu khoozh recipe from my friend and then I will post it for you. But, it will take time I think.

[/tscii:c9ea94e108]

Mrs.Mano
6th August 2005, 12:21 AM
Hello R!

If you fry the garlic flakes for a long time, definitely they will taste bitter. Pour some oil in the kadai and fry the garlic flakes in it on slow fire. After a few seconds, the color will slightly change and you can feel the garlic flakes very light if you take them in the spoon. You can take away them in that stage. You will feel the difference if you grind them for a chutney recipe.

sudhakarthik
6th August 2005, 05:22 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

In one of the earlier topics you had mentioned about Millet flour as "thinai maavu" and that it is good for kids. How can this be given to children. My daughter is one year old and dislikes milk so I am trying out other things that are good for her. So, if you can let me know how to introduce millet flour in her diet, it would really be very helpful.

Thanks,

sudha karthik

sharky
6th August 2005, 06:41 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Can you please post the recipe for Andhra style paruppu?
I think they make it with paruppu and palak, if im not mistaken.

I love this paruppu and I use to enjoy this when I was bangalore in all Andra style restaurants.

Thanks in advance,

sharky.

R
6th August 2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks, Mrs.Mano and will try next time according to yr suggestion.

dev
6th August 2005, 09:08 PM
Hey Sharky,

I too have been requesting for this recipe in all threads...but noone has given the recipe for it so far...Hopefully,Mrs.Mano will be able to give us the recipe...I used to visit Bheemas & nandhini especially for this dhal...Hmmm...yummy....:)

kavithasenthil
7th August 2005, 03:36 AM
Hi dev and sharky,

Here is a dhal with palak recipe. I am not sure is this is the one u r aking for. But this tastes very delicious.

Palak Dhal:

Split moong dhal 1 cup
chpped spinach 4 cups

Pressure cook the above well. Chourn well.
Grind 4 ts coconut with 1 ts cumin seeds and 4 to 5 peppercorns.

Heat oil in a pan,when hot add 2 broken redchilli,few curry leaves. Then add ground mixtrue. Fry it for 30 sec. Add chourn mixture,required salt(less salt would be sufficient for this). Make it to boil for 2 to 3 mins. Put off fire. This is very easy to prepare yet very delicious.

I learned this from my friends mom who is from trichy. Enjoy!

sharky
7th August 2005, 01:19 PM
Hi Dev,

I used to frequently visit mayuri, maharaja and nagarjuna restaurant.....Missing Andhra food.... :(

btw, Kavitha...I already have the recipe that you posted and have tried it too. It tastes good but no match to that Andra paruppu.

Thanks anyway for your response.

sharky.

Mrs.Mano
8th August 2005, 01:12 AM
[tscii:6adcad32bc]Dear Devi Raja!

I regret for the delayed reply. Here is the recipe for a delicious Vegetable Briyani.

VEGETABLE BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

Briyani Rice- 5 cups
Vegetables- 5 cups [diced carrots, potatoes, frozen peas, cauliflower florets, and beans]
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Sliced onion- 2 cups
Slit green chillies- 6
Chopped tomatoes- 2 cups
Ghee- 1/2 to 1 cup
Garlic flakes- 1/4 cup [small]
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander- 1 cup
Chopped mint leaves- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp

Powder the following ingredients coarsely:

Cardamom-4, cinnamon- 3 pieces, fennel seeds-1 tsp and cloves-4

Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:

Green chillies-4, ginger- 1 “pieces, garlic pearls- 10[small] and fennel seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Wash and soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
Pour ½ of the ghee in a kadai and heat it. Add 1 cup of the onion and fry it for a few minutes until they become slightly brown. Then add the tomatoes with the vegetables, turmeric powder, half of the ground paste and enough salt and fry on medium fire until the vegetables are well cooked. Add the coriander and mint leaves and fry for a few seconds. Take them away from the fire. Place a broad vessel and pour the remaining ghee. Add 1 cup of onion. Fry it for a few minutes and add the slit green chillies along with the remaining paste and the ground powder. Fry them for a few minutes. Extract coconut milk from the shredded coconut. Add enough water to make it 9 cups. Pour the milk in to the vessel. Add the soaked rice with enough salt and cook it on medium fire until 3/4th of it is cooked and all the water is evaporated. Place the vegetables on it and spread evenly. Pour some ghee in the corners. Cover with a lid and keep in the ‘dhum’ for 10 minutes. Then take away the vessel, stir the rice without breaking the rice, mix well and again keep in the ‘dhum’ for another 10 mintes. Garnish with croutons and fried cashew nuts.
[/tscii:6adcad32bc]

dev
8th August 2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the recipe,Kavitha...but this is not the one I'm looking for... I guess the andhra paruppu has some masala powder added to it...something like sambar powder that gives an unique flavour & taste...

tomato
8th August 2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the recipe,Kavitha...but this is not the one I'm looking for... I guess the andhra paruppu has some masala powder added to it...something like sambar powder that gives an unique flavour & taste...

Just a suggestion, try adding the masala pow 'koora karam' from the andra veg thread started by minni. May be u'll get the taste u r looking for.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

chamy
8th August 2005, 10:33 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano !
iam the one who used the user name foodlover.i returned after a 6 month visit to India.i tried many of ur recipes there and got kudos from my family.Thanks a lot.
1)i brought karrupatti from India.i don't know what to do with it.i used to have urad dhal kanji made with karupatti when i was a kid.Can u post me uraddhal kanji recipe or any other recipes using karupatti?
2)can u post the recipe for carrot kheer?
Thanks in advance.warm regards Foodlover.

chamy
8th August 2005, 10:36 PM
Hello Everybody !
Under what name ' MOCHAI ' will be available in Indian grocery stores? Thanks in advance.

Mrs.Mano
9th August 2005, 12:02 AM
Hello Viji!

Here is the recipe for sambar vdagam.

SAMBAR VADAGAM:

Ingredients:

Lentils- 50 gms
Kaaramani paruppu[thattai payaru]- 50 gm
Black gram- 100gms
Bengal gram- 100 gms
Asafetida powder-1 tsp
Red chillies-10
Shredded white pumpkin- 2 cups
Chopped coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the dals in enough water over night. In the morning, grind them coarsely with the red chillies, asafetida powder and enough salt. Squeeze the water out off the white pumpkin and add it to the ground paste with the coriander leaves. Mix well. Make goose berry- sized balls and dry them under the heat of the sun placing them on a plastic sheet.

Mrs.Mano
9th August 2005, 12:03 AM
Dear Nalabagam!

I do not know any recipes using black gram powder. You can use it in any adai maavu instead of grinding black grams.

Mrs.Mano
9th August 2005, 12:06 AM
Dear Sudha Karthik!

I do not remember that I have mentioned thinai maavu as a good food for children. I never used it also. May be R can help you. You can ask her.

Mrs.Mano
9th August 2005, 12:11 AM
Dear Sharky and Dev!

I have found out a recipe in my file with the ingredients you have mentioned. I think that the following recipe will be helpful to you.

PARUPPU KEERAI:

Ingredients:

Lentils- 1 cup
Chopped palak- 3 cups
Finely chopped garlic- 1 tsp
Finely chopped ginger- 1 tsp
Finely chopped green chilies- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Oil- 1 tsp
Water- 3 cups
Salt to taste

For the tempering:

Ghee- 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped onion-1
Finely chopped green chilli- 1 tsp
Finely chopped tomato- 1
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Armchur powder- a pinch
Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/4 tsp

Procedure:

Combine all the ingredients from no.1 to 9 in a bowl and pressure cook them to 5 whistles. Heat a kadai and pour the ghee. Add the cumin seeds and when they start to splutter, add the onion with the tomato and the green chilli. Fry well until the oil floats on the surface. Add all the powders and fry for a few minutes. Pour this on the cooked lentils and mix well.

gvb
9th August 2005, 02:04 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Can u please post "kuska Biryani" recipe for me?..My husband had it in the parotta shops back in India and i wud love to try it.I tried one recipe that i found in the internet but it said to use Tomatoes and it came out like Tomato biryani althou the taste was different.My husband gave me the impression that it will be white in color.I hope that u will help me out.

Thanks and Regards,
Suganthi.

dev
9th August 2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks for that tip tomato...will try it out...:)

Thanks Mrs.Mano...Will try it & let you know...But,the recipe I'm talking abt doesn't have ginger in it & I believe they add tamarind juice to it... & the dhal too,I believe is split moong(yellow moong) dhal... & the green used in it,I'm not very sure if it is palak or gongura or what not!!!...:) If you happen to visit a typical Andhra restau,they serve this dhal after you r done with dhal powder... & forgot to tell U,this dhal sometime has veggies in it instead of greens...but the taste will be almost the same... That's Y I said that it might have some kind of powder added to it...

sharky
9th August 2005, 06:27 PM
Mrs. Mano,

Dev is right.

Unfortunately there is no Andra sytle restaurant in Dubai.....

Anyway, thanks Mrs. Mano, will try this dal and let u know.

sharky.

malinibalaguru
9th August 2005, 06:35 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I tried Mysore Masala Dosai as given by you and it was just unbelievably tasty. My hubby liked it very much. And I don't even have a wet grinder..... just a blender. But still it came out so well. btw sorry for the late reply, as I was out of town for few days.

I wanted to know if I can make soft idlies too using the blender. I have "Hamilton Beach (10 Blend-Master)". Can you please give me some tips to make soft idlies without a wet-grinder?

Malini

svasu_ani
9th August 2005, 09:50 PM
SpinachDal with Moong dal (Andhra style)

Very easy and delicious dal with Spinach

Ingrediants
1 Bunch of Spinach
1 Cup of Moong dal
Tamarind juice
Salt to Taste
A pinch of turmeric powder
red chilli powder
salt to taste
Seasoning:
mustard seeds
jeera
4-Garlic Flakes
3 red chillis(broken)
Curry leaves

Process
Cut Spinach leaves from the stem.Wash spinach leaves,drain all the water.Chop them finely.

Wash the dal and put dal and spinach in the pressure cooker,add turmeric cook it up to 3 whistles.

Add salt,redchilipowder and tamarind juice, stir well.Cook it for 5 mins.

Take a Pan and heat oil.Put all the ingredients of seasoning and let them splutter for few seconds,then add this seasoning to dal with spinach.Now delicious spinach dal is ready. It is very easy to prepare.

Anitha

dev
9th August 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks Anita...but I've already tried this recipe...I got this recipe from an andhra friend of mine...it tastes good but this is not the hotel dhal... :( This dhal tastes even better when u substitiue gongura in place of spinach...reduce the tamarind juice in tht case...

Raathi
10th August 2005, 03:01 AM
Dear mrs.Mano,
Thank you very much for your detailed reply .About the kambu recipe please take your time.
Thanks,
Raathi.

maggie
10th August 2005, 03:19 PM
HI Dev and Sharky,

The following may be the spinach dhal recipe you might be looking at.

Spinach Dal (Paalakoora Pulusu-koora)

Ingredients

Spinach - 2 bunches
Toor dal - 1 cup
Onion (big)- 1
Green Chillies - 2 (medium spice)
Tamarind - 1 small ball (or Tamarind paste - 1 tea spoon)
Sambar powder - 1 to 11/2 teaspoons
Turmeric - 1/4 tea spoon
Curry leaves
Salt -- as per taste

For Seasoning:

Oil - 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Jeera - 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chillies - 1
Hing - 1 pinch

Method:

1. Pressure cook Dal separately adding adequate water. Keep aside.
2. Wash the Spinach leaves and chop them.
3. Chop onions and Green Chillies.
4. Soak the tamarind in water for some time and squeeze the pulp (do not make thick paste).
5. Now mix all the above (Except Dal) adding curry leaves, turmeric powder and sambar powder and boil it till the spinach leaves and the onions are cooked well. ( the smell of the sambar powder has to go)
6. Once the Spinach and onions are cooked add the Dal. Mix well.
7. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, jeera red chillies, hing. After the mustard seeds splutter add this to the Spinach and Dal mixture.

This is the same recipe that anitha gave for you but i think the difference is sambar powder.

Variation:
If you use Thootakoora (amaranth variety of spinach) then use tamarid juice. If you use gongura then dont use tamarid juice- it makes the taste bitter.

maggie
10th August 2005, 03:30 PM
oops i forgot to mention that I took the above receipe from Bawarchi.
I have tried it and it does tastes good. It is the sambar powder that makes the difference and i find sambar powder made at home are the best then those bought at shop.

Dear Mrs Mano,
I am not sure if you have posted the recipe for sambar powder. I am getting sambar from my grandma and i have never made at home. If you have can you please post it for us.

Thank you

arrecipes
11th August 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi hubbers,

Can anyone help me out to make a good coffee using Mr. Coffee. Ur help will be highly appreciated.

gvb
11th August 2005, 07:24 PM
[tscii:148c8fe515]Dear Mrs.Mano,
I got a chance to make the “Cauliflower and Tomato fry” yesterday and it tasted great.Thanx for this recipe.

Regards,
GVB

[/tscii:148c8fe515]

arrecipes
11th August 2005, 08:40 PM
Hi gvb,
Can u paste the cauliflower and tomato fry recipe. Thanks.

chamy
11th August 2005, 09:36 PM
CAULIFLOWER AND TOMATO FRY:

Ingredients:

Medium sized cauliflower- 1
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Ghee- 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Finely chopped tomatoes- 1 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Grind the following ingredients into a paste:
Crushed garlic- 2 tsp
Crushed ginger- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves- a handful
Grated coconut- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a small pan and add the tomatoes in it. Cook them until they are mashed and thickened. When cooled, grind it to a paste. Wash the cauliflower florets and steam cook them for 10 minutes. When cooled, Fry them in the ghee to a pale brown colour without breaking the florets. Take them away. In the same ghee, fry the onion to a golden brown colour. Then add the pastes with enough salt and the powders and fry them on slow fire until the oil floats on the surface. Add the fried florets and mix well. Fry them for a few minutes until they are blended well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves

chamy
12th August 2005, 12:30 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano !
I tried cauliflower tomato fry .It was very nice.i had that with chapathi.Thanks.[/tscii][/url]

arrecipes
12th August 2005, 12:35 AM
[tscii:883168ef61]Hi Maggie,

Here is the recipe for sambhar powder which Mrs. Mano gave in one of the earlier threads.

SAMBAR POWDER:

Ingredients:
A big handful of dry red chillies, 2 tbsp of coriander seeds, 1 tbsp of Bengal gram, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, ½ tsp peppercorns, 2 pinches of black gram, 2 pinches of mustard seeds

Method:
Roast all these ingredients in a dry pan for a few minutes. There is no need to fry them to a golden brown colour. When cooled, powder them finely.

[/tscii:883168ef61]

Kz
12th August 2005, 02:54 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I have a doubt regarding freezing chicken. once i buy chicken from shop, i clean it, cube it and marinate it for chicken 65, do i have to put it in freezer or refrigerator if i am going to use it next day afternoon? how long can i store the marinated chicken in freezer?
Thankyou!
Kz

maggie
12th August 2005, 06:16 PM
Dear arrecipes,

Thank you very much
I have noted and will try to make sambar powder soon.

maggie
12th August 2005, 06:20 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
I made jeeraka rasam last night with butterbeans. The smell of rasam was filling my alley way. Wow! it was so good.

Thank you

orange2005
12th August 2005, 10:40 PM
Can somebody please let me know on which page is the recipe for jeeraka rasam of MRs Mano.

Raathi
13th August 2005, 02:10 AM
Hi Orange,
Here is Mrs.Mano's recipe!

JEERAKA RASAM
Soak 1tbsp thuar dal in a cup of water for 1 hour. Soak a small lime-sized tamarind in water for 1/2 hour and then extract its juice. Grind the dal with 1 red chilli, 1sp cumin seeds, 1 1/2 cups of chopped tomatoes and a few curry leaves coarsely. Add the tamarind extract to this ground masala with enough water, salt and 1sp turmeric powder. Heat a kadai and pour 1sp ghee and 1sp oil. When the oil becomes hot, add 1sp mustard seeds. When they splutter add 1 small piece of asafoetida and stir for a few seconds. Then add the prepared rasam and allow it to simmer for 4 minutes.

Mrs.Mano
14th August 2005, 11:38 PM
Dear foodlover!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on my recipes. I am delighted to know that you have received much appreciation with my recipes.
Regarding Karuppatti-I do not know any particular recipes using it. In villages, people use it in coffee and aappam. You can make single thread syrup with it and use it in some sweets instead of jaggery.

Here is the recipe for Carrot kheer.

CARROT KHEER:

Ingredients:

Shredded carrot- 1 1/2 cups
Milk- 1 cup
Sugar- 3/4 cup
Condensed milk- 1/4 cup
Finely chopped dates- 1/4 cup
Finely chopped banana- 1 cup
Saffron- a pinch
Cardamom powder- 1 /2 tsp

Procedure:

Pressure cook the carrot with little water. When cooled, mash the carrot and add this to a pan with the milk, saffron and the sugar. Simmer it until every thing is combined well. Add the cardamom powder with the condensed milk and allow the kheer to boil for a few minutes. Put off the fire and add the dates and the banana. Mix well and serve as chilled kheer.

Mrs.Mano
14th August 2005, 11:42 PM
[tscii:c4e8ba11ce]Dear Suganthi!

Thank you very much for the feedback on Cauliflower and tomato fry. Here is the recipe for ‘Kuska Briyani’. Some people use tomato to enhance the taste. Some use coconut milk to make it delicious. But normally, it is cooked without the coconut milk in the restaurants. This is also called as ‘Ney choru’.

KUSKA BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

Briyani Rice- 6 cups
Onion-6 [finely sliced]
Slit Green chillies-15
Cardamom-6
Cinnamon-4 pieces
Curry leaves- a handful
Chopped coriander leaves-1 cup
Chopped mint leaves- 1 cup
Cloves-6
Cumin seeds-1 1/2 tbsp
Coconut- 1
Ghee-1 cup
Ginger paste-2 tsp
Garlic paste-2 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Extract thick milk form the coconut. Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Heat a broad vessel and pour the ghee. Add the cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and fry for a few seconds. Then add the sliced onions and fry until they become golden brown. Add the green chillies and the pastes and fry for a few minutes. Then add the greens and fry for a few seconds. Then add the coconut milk with the rice and enough salt. The coconut milk and the water should have the measurement of 10 1/2 cups. Cook on medium fire. When all the water is evaporated and the rice is cooked to 3/4th, keep it in ‘Dum’. You can add more ghee when placing the vessel in ‘dhum’.

[/tscii:c4e8ba11ce]

Mrs.Mano
14th August 2005, 11:44 PM
Dear Malini!

I regret for the delayed reply. There are some difficulties in the internet connectivity due to a crisis in the submarine cable network in the whole U.A.E here.
Thanks a lot for the feedback on Mysore Masala Dosai.
You can make soft idlis with a blender. We often make idlis only with the blender here. When grinding the black gram, sprinkle water in intervals until you get a fluffy and soft batter. Do not add much water from the beginning itself. The batter should not become hot. For 4 cups of par boiled rice, add 1 cup of raw rice to get soft idlis.

Mrs.Mano
14th August 2005, 11:46 PM
Hello KZ!

You can keep the marinated chicken in the fridge itself if you plan to cook it on the next day. Otherwise keep it in the freezer. Actually marinated fish pieces or chicken pieces can be packed in separate plastic covers and kept in the freezer for a month.

Mrs.Mano
14th August 2005, 11:47 PM
Dear Maggie!

Thank you very much for the feedback on Jeeraka rasam.

Urmila
15th August 2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks a lot Mrs.Mano, for clarifying about egg aapam. But should I directly break an egg into the aapam [like a 'bull's eye'] or should I beat the egg first in a cup & then pour the beaten egg into the centre ? And is there a spicier version of this dish ?

Thanks & bye,
Urmila.

rajshank
15th August 2005, 11:53 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried ur Kuska Biriyani...it turned out delicious...but what does "kuska" mean? The aroma and the flavor was soo good that my neighbor asked "whats cooking?" :)

Thankyou once again...
Rajshank

padmasini
15th August 2005, 11:57 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made white pumpkin halwa during weekend. The taste was awesome. I have just one question. I could feel the raw smell of pumpkin a bit even after 3 whistles in the pressure cooker. Is there anything I can do to avoid the raw smell.

Thanks,
Padma

gvb
16th August 2005, 12:14 AM
[tscii:26fd5be35a]Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thank u very much for the Kuska recipe..i’ll give u the feedback as soon as I try it.

Regards,
Suganthi.
[/tscii:26fd5be35a]

Kz
17th August 2005, 12:09 AM
Thankyou Mrs.Mano,

Kz

chamy
17th August 2005, 01:41 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
Thank u very much for the carrot kheer recipe.i tried potato kola.The kolas brokedown in the oil.why is it so ?i exactly followed the recipe.kindly clear my doubt.Thanks in advance.
Regards
Foodlover.

Mrs.Mano
17th August 2005, 04:55 PM
[tscii:24cfc7a096]Here I am posting again a few recipes of sweets.

SEMOLINA AND BANANA KESARI:

Ingredients:

Ghee- 1 cup
Fried cashew nuts- 1 tbsp
Fried raisins- 1 tbsp
Fine semolina- 1 cup
Sugar- 2 1/2 cups
Milk- 2 cups
Water- 1 cup
Banana- 2[finely chopped]
Saffron- a pinch
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp

Procedure;

Heat the ghee in a pan and add the semolina to it. Fry it to a golden colour. Add the sugar to it with the milk, water, and the saffron. Cook well until it is thickened. Add the chopped banana with the raisins, cardamom powder and the cashew nuts. Cook for a few more minutes.

BANANA APPAM:

Ingredients:

Mashed banana-4
Wheat flour- 1 cup
Semolina-1/4¼ cup
Shredded coconut- 1/2 cup
Soda bi carbonate- 2 pinches
Sugar- 1 cup
Salt- a pinch

Procedure

Mix all the ingredients with enough water to make a thick batter. Keep it covered for 30 minutes. Then heat enough oil in a pan and pour spoonfuls of batter in it. Fry them to a golden colour.

[/tscii:24cfc7a096]

Mrs.Mano
17th August 2005, 04:56 PM
Dear Urmila!

You can just break the egg on the appam. There is no need to beat it. If you want it spicy, then beat it with a little salt and then you can add chopped onion, green chillies and tomatoes.

Mrs.Mano
17th August 2005, 04:56 PM
[tscii:c57e65d7ef]Dear Rajshank!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Kuska briyani. This ghee rice or ‘Ney choru’ is called as ‘Kuska’ in the restaurants. But I do not know its meaning.
[/tscii:c57e65d7ef]