PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Mrs.Mano
17th August 2005, 04:57 PM
Dear Padmasini!

You can cook the shredded pumpkin in milk by steaming. Do not pressure cook it. The raw smell will go away with the steam.

Mrs.Mano
17th August 2005, 04:57 PM
Dear Chamy!

According to the size of the potatoes, the quantity of pottukkadalai powder sometimes varies. Reduce the quantity of pottukkadalai powder and then try again.

R
17th August 2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Can I substitute jaggery in the place of sugar with the same ratio?

Thanks.

gvb
18th August 2005, 01:40 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
I made "Kuska Biryani" last night and the taste was amazing..My husband appreciated it very much.

Thanx a lot.

Regards,
GVB

maggie
19th August 2005, 08:41 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
I made coconut burfi couple of days before.I should have made a small box full and by the end of the day just a spoonful was all left for me.

Few recipes that i felt is going to take lot of time and lot of care, you make it sound simple and make even me feel "oh that's easy, i can prepare it"

Thank you

Thattai
19th August 2005, 09:33 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Hope that you are doing well. I have been away from this forum for quite a while due to a variety of reasons, but have been trying a few of your recipes over the past couple of weeks and wanted to let you know how they turned out.

My husband made the Chicken Chettinadu Curry. It came out very well indeed. You had not mentioned when to add the powdered spices, but going by past experience, I asked him to add it after the onions were done. I hope that is correct. Also, he roasted the coconut mix till it was a light golden colour and there was a good aroma. I hope that is also accurate. I did find that the poppy seeds did not grind very well. Is there any way to overcome this? It was very well appreciated by my parents as well.

Made the podalangai kootu with coconut. That was aslo very good. I found it a little bit spicy. But I think that was because I doubled the 'to grind' ingredients as I doubled the amt of veggies. But coconut was still one cup. So maybe I went wrong there. Taste was very good though.

The Chettinadu biryani was also very good. I would suggest to those who want to try it, to make it a few hours ahead if possible, as the flavour REALLY becomes better over time.

Made adai as per your recipe. This was also very good. It had a very good texture - crisp but soft, and also browned very well.

I think that covers everything that I tried. Thanks again for all your recipes - they really make a difference to our dining experience.

Warm regards,

Thattai

malinibalaguru
19th August 2005, 05:31 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Plz. don't worry about the late reply to my query. It's really nice of you to take time out to clarify the doubts of all the hubbers here. Thank you for your tips on making soft idlies. i will try it and let you know.

I made Vaazhaipoo vadai few days back. It was so tasty and my hubby couldn't stop praising and also eating vadai :D . Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

Malini

Inimai
19th August 2005, 07:49 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Hope you are doing good! Could you give me the recipe of puli pongal? I believe it's a Iyengar traditional food.

Thanks!

padmasini
19th August 2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion will try white pumpkin halwa this weekend.

Urmila
21st August 2005, 02:23 AM
Thanks for replying Mrs.Mano.
Can you please post a nice recipe for making Crisp Sardines Varuval, like in many chettinad, non.veg restaurants in Coimbatore, Chennai ? What is the best dish to accompany this varuval ?
Can even Nethili meen [anchovies] be prepared similarly ?
Thanks & bye,
Urmila.

lav_siva
21st August 2005, 11:04 PM
hello Mano madam

I have been a listen vistor of ur recipes for all these time. I really wanted to thank u for the wonderful job done by you. Thank you for the wonderful recipes. I am residing in uk. I came here after my marriage. As all other girls i started to cook only after my marriage. Ur recipes are very helpful.

Thank you

vir
22nd August 2005, 11:14 AM
Could someone please mail Mrs. Mano's receipe to my e-mail id vish2ram@yahoo.com

maggie
22nd August 2005, 03:11 PM
Hi Vir,

You can download Mrs.Mano's recipes from
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/corrected_recipes_of_Mrs_Mano.doc

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/Tamilnadu_delicacies.doc

lav_siva
22nd August 2005, 07:38 PM
hi

Hello can any one post me some recipes of veg curries.

lavanya

chamy
23rd August 2005, 02:04 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
I made sarkarai pongal yesterday.i cooked the rice plus dhal mixture separately.(before cooking i soaked the mixture for 1 hour and for cooking added 5 cups of water for 1 cup rice.)Then i added it to the jaggery syrup.The dhal didn't cookwell and it was standing out separately.The rice was cooked very well.Why was it so ?Other than that the pongal was very nice.Thanks for the recipe.
Do we have to fry rawa before making rawa khitchadi ?why should we r frying moongdhal and rawa in any recipe that calls for them ?kindly clear my doubts.Thanks in advance.
Regards foodlover.

sheilakrishnan
24th August 2005, 09:02 AM
I would to make a humble request for Mrs. Mano's wonderful recipes. I am native to Malaysia and its difficult to get good indian recipes here.

sheilakrishnan
24th August 2005, 09:03 AM
My email address is sheilakrishnan@refco.com.sg

chamy
25th August 2005, 07:26 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
I made kuskabriyani today and it was very nice.My friends liked it very much.i also made white kurma yesterday.We had it with idiyappam.It was very nice.Thanks for the recipe.
Regards Foodlover.

maggie
26th August 2005, 11:16 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
I made khuska briyani yesterday and it was so tasty. It is so full of flavour and just the perfect briyani for me.

Thank you

Yamuna
26th August 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Can you please post a recipe for making Pottukadalai bonda (or vadai) , when you are free ?
Thanks in advance.

chamy
26th August 2005, 07:55 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
i made potato and capsicum fry yesterday.It was very tasty.My husband who usually avoids potato even liked it very much. :D
i also made mango kheer.It was very nice.But we felt the sweetness little bit high.Thanks for the recipes.
Can u post some recipes using vellarikai (cucumber) ?Thanks in advance.Regards foodlover.

R
26th August 2005, 10:41 PM
Hi friends,

This is a msg from Mrs.Mano:

As she is in India, could not access the forumhub site from her PC due to some problem and hence, no answers from her; soon, she will be posting replies for all the queries.

Thanks.

Mrs.Mano
28th August 2005, 01:14 PM
Dear friends!

I came to Tamilnadu last week and since then I could'nt access the new hub from my laptop as well as from any Internet Centre. My friends here are also facing the same problem. Therefore I am posting this through my son. Soon I will post all of my replies through him.

Thanks

Mrs.Mano
28th August 2005, 01:16 PM
Dear Nov !

Could you please send me any suggestions that could help me to access your website? My Email address: smano8@yahoo.com

Thanks

dsankaran
29th August 2005, 08:18 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made Sarkkarai Pongal and Snake Gourd kootu as per your recipe. (Just substituted Steamed Tofu for coconut as I am trying to reduce the fat calories in my diet). Even my kids who usually refuse to eat kootu relished it yesterday.

Thanks
D

dev
29th August 2005, 09:07 PM
Hi dsankaran,

How long should we steam the tofu?

dsankaran
29th August 2005, 11:37 PM
About 12 minutes.. same as for Idli. Hope that helps!

gvb
1st September 2005, 03:11 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made the "vegetable Biryani" u had posted recently and it was heavenly.Between me and my husband it got over pretty quickly.The taste was irresistible.

Thanks and regards,
Suganthi.

Mrs.Mano
3rd September 2005, 10:35 AM
Hello R!

You can substitute jaggery for sugar in the same sweet.

Mrs.Mano
3rd September 2005, 10:36 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on kuska briyani.

Mrs.Mano
3rd September 2005, 10:39 AM
Dear Maggie!

I felt happy to know that the coconut burfi had come out sucessfully. Thank you very much for the appreciation as well as the nice feedback on coconut burfi and kuska briyani..

Mrs.Mano
3rd September 2005, 10:41 AM
Dear Thattai!

I regret for the delayed reply.
About chettinad chicken gravy; adding the spice powder to the fried onions is correct. If you fry the poppy seeds on slow fire, then there will not be any problem in grinding them to a fine paste. If you cannot grind it to a fine paste still, just soak the fresh poppy seeds in enough water for half an hour and then grind it to a paste.

Thank you very much for the nice feedback you had given on Chettinad chicken gravy, Chicken Briyani, Pudalangai kuttu, and Adai.

Mrs.Mano
3rd September 2005, 10:42 AM
Dear Malini!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Vazhappoo Vadai. This kind of appreciation really inspires me to work on this thread with more and more dedication.

Mrs.Mano
3rd September 2005, 10:44 AM
Dear Lavanya !

Thank you very much for the appreciation. I have started this thread to share my knowledge in cookery and help others who want to try varieties of dishes. Gradually this has become a favourite thread to those who love cookery. Hence my commitment has become more dedicated and hard working. Credit goes to all of you. Here I sincerely thank all of my friends who have made this thread more and more meaningful.

arrecipes
4th September 2005, 07:03 AM
Hi Hubbers,
I could not find the chettinad chicken gravy in the recipe collections. Can anyone post it again.

ammu
4th September 2005, 07:31 AM
Dear Mrs. mano,
I bought a packet of ragi powder. Give me some recipes for it and any other type of combinations would be fine .Belated thanks for your recipe for methi powder which u gave me for diabetes.
Thank U
ammu

RedPepper
7th September 2005, 12:12 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano

I want to try your kuska biriyani.

I want to make it with 2 cups(your recipe is for 6 cups) of rice. Can I just take 1/3rd of all the other ingredients accordingly?

I don't want it very spicy, so I assume I would reduce the number of green chillies.

I don't use fresh coconut. Instead I substitute dried grated coconut. So, in this recipe, when you say 1 coconut, I should take 1/3rd of a coconut for 2 cups rice. Can you suggest howmany spoonfuls of dried grated coconut would that be?

Thank you very much for your time.

arrecipes
7th September 2005, 06:34 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I prepared Vegetable Biriyani and Kuska Biriyani as per your recipe, the only alteration i made i cooked it directly in the pressure cooker rather than that dhum method. The rice was half cooked in this way. I had to add little water and cooked it again. The taste was wonderful. Since i cooked the rice for the second time, the rice started to break out. Can you help me out to prepare biriyani in pressure cooker?

Mrs.Mano
9th September 2005, 12:13 AM
[tscii:de92492697]Dear Inimai!

Here is the recipe for puli pongal:

PULI PONGAL:

Ingredients:

1. Rice rawa-2 cups
2. Water- 5 cups
3. Tamarind- a lime size
4. Gingelly oil- 3 tbsp
5. Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
6. Split black gram- 1 tsp
7. Red chillies-4
8. Asafoetida powder- ½ tsp
9. Curry leaves- a handful
10. Chopped small onions- ½ cup
11. Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water for an hour and then extract the juice. The tamarind extract and water should be measured in to 5 cups. Heat a pan and pour the gingelly oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add the black gram, curry leaves, red chillies, and the A.Powder and fry for a few seconds. Add the chopped onions and fry them until they become golden brown. Now add the tamarind extract and the water with enough salt. When they start to simmer, reduce the fire and add the rice rawa. Cover with a lid and cook on slow fire until all the water is evaporated and the rice rawa is cooked completely.
[/tscii:de92492697]

Mrs.Mano
9th September 2005, 12:14 AM
Dear Urmila!

I have already posted a recipe for fish fry. It is suitable for all types of fishes. Neththili fish is different. Most of the people do not cook when they are fresh. They prefer dried neththili fish[karuvaadu]. In Maharashtra, I have seen people cook fresh neththili fish. I remember the procedure only
In hot oil, add chopped onion and tomatoes. Fry them till they become golden brown and are mashed well. Then add this fresh neththili fish with a little chilli powder, turmeric powder, few aniseeds and chopped coriander. Fry well until they are cooked completely.

Mrs.Mano
9th September 2005, 12:14 AM
Dear foodlover!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on white kurma, kuska briyani, mango kheer, potato and capsicum fry and sarkkarai pongal.

About sarkkarai pongal- if you cook the dhal and the rice in a pressure cooker, they will be cooked very nicely. But you must reduce the water. For 1 cup of rice or dhal, 2 1/2 cups of water are enough. If you cook them in a vessel, first cook the green gram and when 3/4 th of it is cooked, add the soaked rice. By this way, both will be cooked very nicely.

There is no need to fry rawa before trying it for any recipe. But it is safe to fry the rawa in a whole before filling it in a bottle so that worms will not affect it. Fried green gram will give a special flavour to the recipe.

Soon I will post a few recipes on cucucmber.

Mrs.Mano
9th September 2005, 12:17 AM
Dear D!

Thank you very much for the feedbacks on snake gourd koottu and sarkkarai pongal. I am glad that you have used tofu instead of fresh coconut. Can you write down the quantity of tofu you have used? How did you add it to the koottu? Every body will be benefited by yr answer.

Mrs.Mano
9th September 2005, 12:18 AM
Dear Suganthi!

I am very happy to know that you had cooked a delicious Vegetable briyani and enjoyed it with yr husband very much. Thanks a lot for the nice feedback.

Inimai
9th September 2005, 04:06 AM
Dear Mrs. mano,

Thank you for the puli pongal recipe. I remember that puli pongal does not include onions.

I tried Vella cheedai according to your recipe. It came out very well. Only thing, cheedais were not crispy. how to make it crispy?

Thanks!

pr
12th September 2005, 01:34 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried ur kuska briyani .No doubt it was a great hit . My husband liked it very much . He had kuska in his friends place long time back and he had been asking for that kind . I tried so many recipes , but none matched that one..
I tried ur recipe and he became so happy as this is the one he has been asking for . Thank u very much for sharing this recipe ..
Thanks and Regards
Pr

dsankaran
12th September 2005, 08:40 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I just substituted tofu for coconut 1:1 (meaning, if your recipe called for 1/4 cup coconut, I measured cubed tofu in 1/4 cup and used). Buy extra firm tofu, squeeze out the water and either steam cook on idli plates for 7-8 minutes or throw it in the pressure cooker along with dal or veggies. Cool it and grind it along with other spices as usual. I have been using tofu for all recipes that call for coconut (chutneys included (haven't tried coconut chutney with tofu though) and it tastes good. If you are really particular about the kara kara texture that coconut gives, then may be you can add just 1 tsp coconut.. but I don't mind the smooth texture of tofu.

Hope this helps.

- D

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:20 AM
Dear food lover!

I am posting here a few recipes on cucumber for you!

CURD & CUCUMBER SEMIYA:

Ingredients:

Shredded cucumber- 2 cups
Shredded carrot- 1cup
Vermicelli- 1 cup
Thick fresh curd- 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Finely chopped ginger- 1 tsp
Gingelly oil- 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Cook the vermicelli in boiling water with enough salt. When it is cooked, drain it through a colander. After the water is drained completely, again wash the vermicilli with enough cold water and then drain it completely again. In a pan, pour the gingelly oil and heat it. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the chopped ingredients and fry them for a few minutes. Add this to the curd. Add the shredded cucumber, carrot and vermicelli. Add enough salt. Mix well
This is a delicious dish for breakfast.

CUCUMBER KOOTTU:

Ingredients:

Finely cut Young cucumber- 2 cups
Green gram-1/2 cup
Finely chopped onion- 1/2 cup
Garlic flakes- 6
Chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Ground coconut paste- 3 tsp
Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Red chillies-3
Curry leaves- a handful
Ghee-2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Cook the green gram in enough water until it is cooked 3/4th. Then add the chopped cucumber with the onion, garlic, chilli powder and the green chillies. When every thing is well combined and cooked add the ground coconut and mix well. When the koottu starts to simmer, put off the fire. Heat a small pan and add the ghee. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter ad the black gram, red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds. Add this tempering to the cooked koottu

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:22 AM
Dear Yamuna!

I am not aware of any pottukkadalai vadai or bonda. We cannot make any snacks with pottukkadalai flour only.It must be combined with any other flour to get a shape.

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:29 AM
[tscii:3dc4c774fc]Dear Red pepper!

For 2 cups of rice, you can take 4 green chillies. It will not be much spicy. Dried grated coconut will not give that delicious taste. Instead you can add coconut powder or coconut milk. If you add coconut powder, you can add 4 to 5 tsp of it for 1 cup of warm water. If you add coconut milk, one cup or ¾ th of a cup is enough for 2 cups of rice. As I do not use desiccated coconut, I cannot say anything about it.

[/tscii:3dc4c774fc]

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:31 AM
Dear Arrecipes!

I will post the recipe of pressure cooker briyani soon!

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:39 AM
Dear Ammu!

I am posting here a few recipes on Ragi flour.

RAGI PUTTU:

Ingredients:

Ragi flour-2 cups
Mashed jaggery or powdered sugar- 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Ghee-1tbsp
Water and salt to taste

Procedure:

Sieve the ragi flour. Boil 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt on the flour. Sprinkle the hot water little by little and mix well the flour. If you pick up some flour and close tightly with yr fingers, it must give you a shape. Then if you open yr fingers, it must slip down from the fingers. That is the right consistency for any puttu recipe. Cover the bowl with a white muslin cloth and steam the ragi for 10minutes. When cooled, mash it well. You can run it in a mixi for a split of second. Add the jaggery or sugar with the cardamom powder and mix well. Then add the ghee with the shredded coconut and mix well. You can add the jaggery according to yr taste.

RAGI DOSAI:

Ingredients:

Ragi flour- 4 cups
Black gram- 1/2 cup
Lentils- 2 tbsp
Boiled rice- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the black gram with the rice and the lentils in enough water for 5 hours. Then grind them to a fine batter like dosai batter. Add the sieved ragi flour to it and mix well with enough salt and water. Keep it covered for 4 hours and then you can make delicious dosais.

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:43 AM
Dear Inimai!

My iyengar friend who is staying with me now gave that recipe for Puli Pongal. She says that some people use small onions. You can take it as optional.
Jaggery makes the cheedai soft. We cannot make the vella cheedis very crisp.

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:45 AM
Dear D!

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation on Tofu.

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2005, 11:53 AM
Dear Pr!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Kuska Briyani. I feel happy to know that every body loves this recipe. Credit goes to my son who gave this recipe to me some years back. My heartiest thanks to y husband for the appreciation he has given on this recipe.

Kateangeline
13th September 2005, 07:00 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Can you please post the recipes of Cheese Paratha & Onion Paratha?It seems my husband had it at a party & craves it.My attempts in trying some web recipes were not satisfactory.So I would really appreciate your help?Thanks a lot.

arrecipes
14th September 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano/Fellow hubbers,
Can u repost the recipe for Chettinad chicken gravy. Thanks.

padmasini
14th September 2005, 07:42 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made Kuska biryani last night and it turned out very good. The aroma was excellent. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

arrecipes
15th September 2005, 05:13 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Can u post the recipe for Urulaikizhangu pal curry.

ammu
15th September 2005, 07:41 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanks for the ragi recipes.I will try them and let you know the feed back. I have got a plenty ( almost like more than 4 kg) of green chillies from the near by farm. I stored some in freezer and also I put some in the buttermilk and dried( mor milagai) . If you can give me some kind of recipes which I can make with it.THank u .
regards
ammu

chamy
16th September 2005, 02:36 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
Thank u very much for posting cucumber recipes.i tried Jeeraga rasam and it was very tasty.i also made thakali milagu rasam and vegetable omelette from arusuvai .com.We liked it a lot.Thanks for the recipe.
Regards foodlover.

tomato
16th September 2005, 11:05 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thanks for the ragi recipes.I will try them and let you know the feed back. I have got a plenty ( almost like more than 4 kg) of green chillies from the near by farm. I stored some in freezer and also I put some in the buttermilk and dried( mor milagai) . If you can give me some kind of recipes which I can make with it.THank u .
regards
ammu

ammu,
Here is the recipe for green chilli pickle posted by Mrs. Mano some time back. HAven't given it a try, but its got to be good coz its from Mrs. Mano. So here u go:

GRREN CHILLI PICKLE:

Ingredients:

Green chillies- 100gms
Tamarind- a big lemon size
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
White sesame seeds [ellu] - 1 tsp
Asafetida- a marble-sized piece
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Enough gingelly oil
Powdered Jaggerry- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Slit all the green chillies slightly at the tail ends. Soak the tamarind in enough water for 30 minutes and then extract its juice.
Heat a kadai and roast the sesame seeds, fenugreek seeds and asofetida in a little oil and then powder them finely when cooled. Again pour the gingelly oil in the kadai and heat it. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the green chillies and fry them well on medium fire until they change their colour. Add the tamarind extract with the turmeric powder and enough salt. Cook the pickle until all the water is evaporated and is thickened like gravy. Now add the fried powder with the jaggery and cook for a few more minutes on a very slow fire.

gvb
17th September 2005, 02:07 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made "Mysore Rasam" yesterday and it was simply heavenly.I loved it and i have you to thank for that.

Regards,
Suganthi.

PPR
17th September 2005, 05:52 AM
Hi,
Could somebody please email me Mrs Mano's collection of recipes to premila66@hotmail.com

Thanks! :)

preethi
17th September 2005, 10:04 AM
I would really appreciate if someone can send me the recipes to my id preethi76roshan@gmail.com.
Thanks in advance

dsankaran
19th September 2005, 01:57 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano, I made Kuska Biriyani with a few substitutions yesterday. Turned out good. I used Soy milk instead of Coconut milk and use only 1 tsp of butter + 1 tsp olive oil (cooked in non stick rice cooker - so didn't need much oil). My husband liked it a lot.

Thanks
D

Shoba
20th September 2005, 07:44 PM
Hi Mrs Mano!

Can something be done with namuththupona (lost crispiness) appalam? I dont have the heart to throw them (20-30 appalams)away.

Looking forward to your response and thank you in advance!

Shoba

sudhakarthik
20th September 2005, 11:52 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Can you please let me know how to use the microwave idli cooker sold in India. It says boil water for 1 minute , then keep the idlis with batter for 4 minutes. When I do so, the idlis are not cooked in the middle.

If anyone has/is used or using them please let me know the correct procedure and time.

Thanks,

Sudha Karthik

Sun
21st September 2005, 12:17 AM
Hai sudhakarthik,

I use microwave idli cooker. I just keep it for 4 minutes and 30 seconds and idli's come out just fine. Try it out.

regards
sun

Mini
21st September 2005, 12:58 AM
i've got the microwave idli plates too. just heat the water for one min and then put in the plate with the batter for about 3mins 45secs on 800W. it works well for me this way.

sheilakrishnan
21st September 2005, 07:27 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano and all other hubbers,

I have been enjoying the various posts on this forum. In Malaysia, many people tend to eat out and we are very quickly forgetting that cooking is a great pleasure - sometimes even more than eating itself.

It is lovely to see that so many also share my own love for sharing recipes and trying new ones.

I would really appreciate if one of you could give me the recipe for black pepper ponggal - savoury with whole black peppers. I ate it a few times when I was in Chennai and it is absolutely scrumptious. I just cant get hold of the recipe.

I would also like to know what rice rawa is. I don't think we get it in Malaysia.

Thank you all.

Sheila

tomato
21st September 2005, 08:58 AM
Hi mini & sun,
I too have these microwave idli plates. They have tiny holes where idli batter gets stuck and I find it quite tiring to clean these. How do u deal with this?

Mini
21st September 2005, 05:04 PM
hi tomato,
thats a real pain. more than cooking idlies and eating them, this is a time consuming process. i have a brush with longer bristles (which is actually meant for cleaning my futura cooker), but still it takes time. :(

rajshank
22nd September 2005, 04:22 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Last week i had "Mullu Murukku" made by an elderly aunty on a visit to her daughter's place here. It was delicious. She said the secret was "pottukadalai podi"... My husband simply loved it. Now i want to give it a try. :)

That aunty even said - "U won't even have to add butter to make them crisp".

Thanks,
Rajshank

rajshank
22nd September 2005, 04:30 AM
Hi again Mrs. Mano,

I often make Tomato Chutney using your recipe. It turns out very well. We eat that with idli or Dosas. I have also made Tomato thokku. But my husband wants me to make Tomato Thogayal, which he can mix with rice and have. According to him, Tomato Chutney is for idli or dosa..tomato thokku is a type of pickle...so it can be had with curd rice or even with chapatti's. But i don't know how to make tomato thogayal...Please post a recipe for that...

Thanks,
Rajshank

gvb
23rd September 2005, 12:14 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I just wanted to let u know that i follow so many of ur recipes on a day to day basis.I had made paruppu rasam and Lemon rasam a few days back ,which i have made countless other times before and it reminded me of how ur recipes have become a part of my cooking now.Thank you for that and for so much more.

Regards,
Suganthi.

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 05:33 PM
[tscii:db696a6285]Dear Kateangeline!

I regret for the delayed reply. I will soon post the recipes for Cheese paratha and onion paratha. As I am in India now, I couldn’t post the recipes immediately.
[/tscii:db696a6285]

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 05:35 PM
Dear Padmasini!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Kuska briyani.

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 05:39 PM
[tscii:44ea44959d]Dear Tomato!

Thank you very much for posting my recipe of ‘GREEN CHILLIES PICKLE’ for Ammu.
[/tscii:44ea44959d]

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 05:58 PM
[tscii:fc290bc500]Dear Arrecipes!

You have asked for ‘urulaikizhangu paal curry’. Can you please describe it? Because I couldn’t understand whether it is a potato curry with coconut milk or with just milk only.

Here is the Chettinadu chicken gravy recipe for you!

CHETTINADU CHICKEN GRAVY:

Powder finely 3 pieces chinnamon, 2 bay leaves, 2 coves and 2 cardamoms finely.
In a tsp of oil fry 2 red chillies, 1sp fennel seeds, 2sp poppy seeds, 1tbsp gram dal [pottukadalai] and a handful of shredded coconut to a golden brown color and then grind to a fine paste.
Heat a kadai and pour 4 to 5 tbsp oil.
When the oil becomes hot add 4 chopped onion and fry for a few minutes until it changes into a light brown colour.
Then add 4 big tomatoes, which are finely chopped with 10 red chillies, 1tbsp ginger paste, 1tbsp garlic paste, and 1sp turmeric powder, and fry well until the tomatoes are changed into a fine paste and the oil floats on the surface.
Add the pieces of 1 big chicken [1kg to 11/4kg], 3sp coriander powder, 3sp chilli powder, the ground paste, powder and enough salt with 1 cup of water.
Cook on medium fire until the chicken is well cooked.
Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves
[/tscii:fc290bc500]

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 06:08 PM
[tscii:d4db58c8ef]Dear foodlover !

Thank you very much for the feedback on jeeraka rasam and the recipes of ‘Thakkaali milagu rasam and vegetable omlette’ which I have posted for Arusuvai. Com. With this vegetable omelette, we can make superb sandwiches even with brown and wholemeal bread slices.
[/tscii:d4db58c8ef]

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 06:12 PM
Dear Suganthi!,

Thank you very much for the nice appreciation and genuine feedbacks on all of my recipes. This kind of appreciation really motivates me very much.

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 06:24 PM
Dear D!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on kuska briyani. I really appreciate you for reducing fat and adding the products of soya beans in yr cookery.
But we cannot get the delicious taste with soya milk as we get with coconut milk. Even the taste differs according to the sweetness of the coconut. This kuska briyani can even be made without any milk.

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 06:30 PM
[tscii:ee896f92a9]Dear Shoba!

I have already posted the recipe of “Appala koottu” which can be made with even the ‘namaththuppona appalam’
[/tscii:ee896f92a9]

Mrs.Mano
23rd September 2005, 07:27 PM
[tscii:ec7b930c5d]Dear Sheila!

I welcome you to this thread!!

Cookery is like a fine art. When an artist paints something, he will not get full satisfaction until he gets the desired effect. In cookery also, we can get a fine result only with dedication, interest, imagination and fine finishing touches.
Have you received my mail with the links for my recipes?
I have already posted the recipe for “Milagu Pongal”. Here I am re-posting it for you. You can add whole peppercorns instead of crushed pepper.

PONGAL:

Fry 1/2 cup broken green gram dhal in a tsp ghee till a nice aroma floats up on the air.
Soak this in water for 1 hour with 2 cups of raw rice.
Pour 10 cups of water in a cooking vessel and let it simmer.
Add the rice and the dhal and cook on a medium fire.
When the rice is almost cooked, add 1tbsp finely chopped ginger and 1tbsp finely chopped green chillies.
Heat a small kadai and add 3tbsps pure ghee.
Add 2sps crushed pepper, 1sp asafoetida powder and 2sps crushed cumin seeds.
Fry for a few seconds and pour this tempering to the rice.
Add enough salt and some chopped coriander leaves.
You can add some more melted ghee and fried cashew nuts to taste.
[/tscii:ec7b930c5d]

lakshmikumar
23rd September 2005, 07:37 PM
hi mrs.mano,

can u send me ur recipe collections?(only vegetarian recipes).thanx.my id is lakshmi_kumar77@hotmail.com.

gvb
24th September 2005, 01:34 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Could u please post the recipe for the potato filling used in Masala dosai?

Regards,
Suganthi

Kateangeline
24th September 2005, 08:51 AM
Thank you very much Mrs. Mano.You take your time.I will look forward to your recipes.

Regards,
Kate.

Yamuna
25th September 2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Can you please post how to make the very tasty Noi Upma, really craving for it lately. Is it possible to make this arisi noi , at home itself ? Please respond.
Thanks very much,
Yamuna.

Shoba
25th September 2005, 05:55 PM
[tscii:ddfd06fe1f]Dear Shoba!

I have already posted the recipe of “Appala koottu” which can be made with even the ‘namaththuppona appalam’
[/tscii:ddfd06fe1f]

Yes Mrs Mano, R alerted me on this on the SOS thread. Thank you!

Shoba

dev
25th September 2005, 11:45 PM
Hi all,
Indexing of this thread has been done for pages 1 to 90... yet to index for old responses...

gvb
26th September 2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Dev
Great Job on all the threads.U have accomplished a major task with such efficiency and speed!! Kudos to u !

GVB

arrecipes
26th September 2005, 06:51 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
I was looking out for the recipe of Potato in coconut milk.

rsankar
27th September 2005, 01:47 PM
Hello Dev,

you're doing great job. :D

rsankar.

rsankar
27th September 2005, 01:55 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

After a long time, I visit your thread, and I impresed about this "Kuska Biriyani. I never know about this dish.
I prepared yesterday night and it was a hit. the aroma was superb and the taste too :thumbsup:

Thanks for your recipe.

rsankar.

RedPepper
29th September 2005, 07:40 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano

Accidentally got into your webpage while browsing. http://www.geocities.com/mrsmano_recipes/

But cannot view the recipes. Is it under construction?

dev
29th September 2005, 08:06 PM
Redpepper,

I'm able to view the recipes for aplhabets K,N,P,R,S,I,M,V & T...

arrecipes
29th September 2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Hubbers,
Can anyone suggest me a good accompaniment for Adai?

rain
29th September 2005, 09:56 PM
hi dev,
same here,dev,not able to view her recipies from start.

rain

RedPepper
29th September 2005, 11:12 PM
Redpepper,

I'm able to view the recipes for aplhabets K,N,P,R,S,I,M,V & T...

Oh OK. Thanks. I can view it too. First I was trying the ABC order, and couldn't view any. Maybe there are no recipes under those letters.

Mrs.Mano
2nd October 2005, 05:26 PM
Dear Friends!

I have just returned back from India. Soon I will post my replies to all of yr queries.

gvb
4th October 2005, 07:44 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made "vegetable pasta" today and it was simply delicious to eat.i also made "garlic rasam" over the weekend and that was heavenly too!

Regards,
Suganthi.

Mrs.Mano
4th October 2005, 10:38 AM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the recipe index. It will help all the friends here and be more helpful to me indeed as it will minimize the trouble in searching through my attachment again and again. I will soon send the tittles of the old responses to you.

Mrs.Mano
4th October 2005, 10:46 AM
[tscii:f6a1a880ec]Dear Rajshank!

Here is the recipe for a tomato masala which you can mix with hot rice. I hope that you will be satisfied with this recipe.
You have written about mullu murukku. Have you got that recipe from that aunty and tried yourself? If so, please write down that recipe here so that every one can be benefited by it. I have also posted a recipe called ‘Masala murukku’ earlier which is prepared with boiled rice paste with pottukkadalai powder and Bengal gram flour.

TOMATO MASALA:

Ingredients:

Big ripe tomatoes-3
Chopped small onions- 1/2 cup
Red chillies-5
Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
Bengal gram-1 tbsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Asafoetida- a pea-size
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- a few
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

In a tsp of oil, roast the coriander seeds, Bengal grams, black grams, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and the red chillies to a golden brown colour and then powder them finely when they are cooled. Soak the tomatoes in hot water for 20 minutes and then remove the skins. Mash the tomatoes. Heat a kadai and pour the oil and the ghee. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the small onions and fry for a few seconds until they become golden brown. Add the tomato with the turmeric powder and cook well until the gravy is thickened. Add the fried powder with the curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the oil floats on top. This masala will be delicious with the rice.

[/tscii:f6a1a880ec]

dsankaran
4th October 2005, 03:20 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Since it is Navarathri time, could you please help us by posting sundal varieties?

Thanks
D

Mrs.Mano
4th October 2005, 11:49 PM
Dear Kateangeline!

Here are the recipes for Cheese and Onion Parathas.

CHEESE AND ONION PARATHA:

Ingredients:

Wheat flour- 1 cup
Plain flour- 1 cup
Curds- 1 tbsp
Butter- 3 tbsps
Enough water and salt

Procedure:

Make stiff dough with the flours using the curds, butter, enough water and salt. Keep it covered for a few hours. Then make small balls and roll each ball on a slightly floured board to a small round which has 3 inches in diameter. Place a spoon of the stuffing on top, dampen it on the corners and cover it with another round. Roll it again to a slightly thickened paratha and cook it on both sides on a hot griddle. You can use a little oil or ghee when cooking the paratha. Cook the paratha on a medium fire so that the cheese inside will be cooked well.

Onion Stuffing:

Grate 5 onions. Mix a little salt with it. After some time squeeze the water from it. Add 2 tsp of finely chopped green chillies, 3 tsp of pomegranate seeds powder and 1/2 tsp of amchur powder. Mix well.

Cheese filling:

To the above onion stuffing mixture add 1 cup of finely grated cheese and half cup of finely grated capsicum.

Mrs.Mano
4th October 2005, 11:52 PM
Dear Suganthi!

Thank you very much for the feedbacks on garlic rasam and vegetable pasta.

Here is the recipe for the potato masala which is used in Masala dosai. This masala is a delicious accompaniment for poori also.

POTATO MASALA:

Ingredients:

Potatoes- 1/2 kilo
Chopped onion- 2 cups
Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Green chillies- 4
Grated ginger- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Frozen peas- 1/2 cup
Chopped coriander
Enough oil and salt

Procedure:

Pressure cook the potatoes for 5 whisitles. After taking them out, mash them immediately. Heat a kadai and pour 4 to 5 tbsps of oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the chopped onions and fry them until they become lightly golden brown. Grind the green chillies with the ginger to a paste and add this with the turmeric powder and fry well for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and the peas. Cook until the tomatoes are mashed well and the peas are well-cooked. Add the Mashed potatoes with the coriander leaves and fry it on slow fire until every thing is combined well.

Mrs.Mano
4th October 2005, 11:54 PM
Dear Arrecipes!

Aviyal is a delicious accompaniment for adai.
I will post the recipe of potato pal curry soon.

Mrs.Mano
5th October 2005, 12:37 AM
Hello Redpepper!

Yes. It is my website which is still under construction.

Shoba
5th October 2005, 04:53 PM
Mrs Mano, I have a question about Veththalai (betel leaves). How can one make use of betel leaves, other than chewing :P of course..? It's Navaraathri, and every year I wonder what to do with the veththla-paakku I get while doing my rounds. It seems a pity to throw them away.

Any ideas?

Thanks Mrs Mano!

Shoba

gvb
5th October 2005, 09:00 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thanks so much for the "Potato masala" recipe.I usually follow what u had said but without the tomatoes.Am sure it will be Yummy.I will let u know soon.

GVB

Kateangeline
6th October 2005, 07:27 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thanks a lot for the cheese & onion parathas recipe.I made it for dinner yesterday & it was a huge hit.My hubby liked it a lot & the credit goes to u.I just omitted the pomegranate seeds powder since I couldn't go shopping .Is it available in stores.If so,in what name?Or should we dry fresh seeds & grind to a powder.

Once again a huge thanks from my hubby & me. :D

Regards,
Kate.

gvb
6th October 2005, 05:50 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made ur "tomato soup" yesterday and it came out more like Dhal soup and it was yellow in color.Is that how it will be?Please let me know.

Regards,
Suganthi.

vekala
6th October 2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,
I made ur Chicken Biriyani on sunday and was drenched with aah haa's and ho ho's from my hubby!!! I do make biriyani frequently...but this was the first time my hubby enjoyed each mouth...infact he normally doesn't take the biriyani at night. But this time he cldn't resist from having it again for dinner !!! Infact y'day he asked me to prepare the biriyani again this sunday. My kid too enjoyed it and said it's like hotel biriyani. All the credit goes to u!
A big applause to you! Thanks a lot...and pls do continue with ur great work.

-Kala

gvb
7th October 2005, 03:02 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Today i made "Tomato masala" and the taste was so awesome.I'l defintely be making this again!Thanks to Rajshank for asking this recipe and to u for posting such a delicious one.

Regards,
Suganthi.

rain
7th October 2005, 08:52 PM
hello mrs.mano,

tried paruppu urundai khuzambu and we enjoyed the taste.thanks for all ur wonderful contributions.

regards,
rain

dev
9th October 2005, 11:20 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

It would be great if u can send the titles of the old responses...:)

Just wanted to request you for recipes using Kovaikaai... I make poriyal with it & a subzi that can be used with chapathi... Any other recipe with it would be highly appreciated...

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:00 PM
Dear Yamuna!

We can prepare rice rawa in our home itself. Wash raw rice in enough water and then drain the rice in a colander. After all the water has been drained, dry the rice on a white cloth or a newspaper for 2 hours. Then grind the rice coarsely. Sieve it and store the rawa in a glass jar.

I have already posted a recipe for a delicious rice rawa uppuma. I am re-pasting it here for you.

RICE RAWA UPPUMA:

Ingredients:

Bengal gram-2tbsp
Lentils-1tbsp
Red chillies-4
Black gram-1sp
Rice rawa- 2 cups
Oil-4 tbsp
Mustard seeds-1sp
Onion-1 cup [chopped]
Tomato- 1 cup [chopped finely]
Turmeric powder- 1/2 sp
Asafoetida powder- 1 sp
Chopped coriander leaves-1 tbsp
Chopped curry leaves- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

Method:

Grind the Bengal gram, lentils, red chillies and black gram into a coarse powder.
Mix this with the rice rawa.
Heat a kadai and pour the oil.
Add the mustard seeds, and when they splutter add the chopped onions and tomatoes.
Add the turmeric powder and cook until the vegetables are mashed well and the oil floats on the top.
Add asafoetida powder, a little salt, and the greens and fry for a few minutes.
Add 6 cups of water and enough salt.
When the water starts to boil, reduce the fire to medium, and sprinkle the rice rawa little by little.
Cover the kadai and let the uppuma cook on a slow fire.
If you want, you can add 1/2 cup shredded coconut in the end.

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:03 PM
Dear kate!

I felt happy to know that yr cheese and onion paraththa became a huge hit with yr family. Thanks a lot for the feedback and convey my sincere thanks to yr hubby also!

We can get pomegranate powder in the supermarkets. We can get pomegranate seeds also. But they are sticky and we must crush them to a coarse mixture. You can also try to dry them under hot sun and then powder it.

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:04 PM
[tscii:3e8a3a71df]Dear Shoba!

I haven’t come across any use for betal leaves other than chewing.
[/tscii:3e8a3a71df]

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:04 PM
Dear Suganthi!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on tomato masala.
Regarding tomato soup- If you feel it like a dal soup, reduce the quantity of lentils to 2 tbsps and then try again.

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:06 PM
[tscii:e9cadf7d56]Hello Kala!

I could understand yr happiness. It will definitely be like that if one’s recipe is appreciated by every one in the family. Credit goes to you also as you have tried it very sincerely. Thank you very much for the nice feedback on the 'chicken briyani'..

[/tscii:e9cadf7d56]

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:07 PM
[tscii:4ba3476f73]Hello Rain!

Thanks a lot for yr sincere feedback on ‘paruppu urundai kuzhambu’.

[/tscii:4ba3476f73]

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2005, 12:07 PM
[tscii:5f836ba3a1]Dear rsankar!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on ‘Kuska briyani’.
[/tscii:5f836ba3a1]

sheilakrishnan
10th October 2005, 12:31 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you very much for the Milagu Ponggal recipe. I am anxious to try it. Only two questions before that, does the rice and dhall have to be soaked for one hour before preparation? What is the purpose? Also is it correct to use 10 cups of water for 2 cups rice?

Thanks again.

regards

Sheila

gvb
10th October 2005, 11:55 PM
Dear Mrs.mano,
I'll use more tomatoes and reduce dhal as u said.Thanks for ur suggestion.

Regards,
Suganthi.

rain
11th October 2005, 03:07 AM
hello mrs.mano,

i would love to try your kuska biryani. while going thru your instuctions i saw this term 'dum'.what does this mean? can i get the same results in the pressure cooker? and how can i substitute fresh & frozen shredded coconut here for 2 cups of rice. please suggest how to go about this recipe. thanks for ur help.

regards,
rain

arrecipes
11th October 2005, 04:57 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried out Kuska Biryani and Chettinad Chicken gravy on Sunday. Both the dishes turned out to be delicious. Thanks for providing us with such wonderful recipes.

Mrs.Mano
11th October 2005, 11:58 AM
[tscii:6f8b35e2bf]Hello Arrecipes!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on kuska briyani and chettinadu chicken gravy. Here is the recipe for ‘Potato paal curry’.

URULAIKKIZHANGU PAAL CURRY:

Ingredients:

Cubed potatoes- 3 cups
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Onion slices- 1/2 cup
Green chilli-3
Shredded ginger-1 tsp
Garlic flakes- 4
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon- a small piece
Mashed tomatoes without skin-1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp [optional]
Salt to taste
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 3 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Oil- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Grind the onion with the ginger, garlic, cinnamon, green chillies, and fennel seeds coarsely. Extract thick and thin milk from the shredded coconut. Heat a pan and add the ghee and the oil. When they become hot, add the ground paste and fry well with the turmeric powder. Add the potatoes with enough water, salt and also the thin milk. Cook well till they are almost done. Add the tomato and cook until every thing is well blended and cooked well. Lastly, add the thick coconut milk with the greens. When the milk starts to simmer, put off the fire.[/tscii:6f8b35e2bf]

Mrs.Mano
11th October 2005, 12:03 PM
Dear D!

I regret for the delayed response. The Navaraththiri week has almost come to an end. But I am posting here a few recipes on sundal varieties for you.

KADALAI PARUPPU MASALA SUNDAL:

Ingredients:

Bengal gram- 1/2 kilo
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Fried cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:

Cinnamon- 1, shredded ginger- 1 tsp, red chillies-4, fennel seeds- 1 tsp,

Procedure:

Soak the Bengal gram over night. Then drain the water and cook the Bengal gram with enough fresh water and salt. When the Bengal gram is cooked, drain the water again. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes. Then add the ground paste with the turmeric powder and fry well. Add the cooked Bengal gram and fry for a few minutes. Put off the fire. Add the shredded coconut, curry leaves and fried cashew nuts and mix well.

SPROUTED BLACK EYE BEANS MIXED SUNDAL:

Ingredients:

Black eye beans- 1 cup
Green grams- 1 cup
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Green chilli paste- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Asafotida pr- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Shredded carrot- 1 cup
Oil- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the black eye beans beans for 12 hours and then drain the water. Sprout them well. The next day, add enough water and cook the black eye beans with enough salt until they are cooked well. Cook the green grams with enough salt until they are cooked well. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustards and when they splutter, add the pastes and fry for a few seconds on slow fire. Then add the shredded carrot with a pinch of salt and fry until it is half-cooked. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook for a few seconds.

Mrs.Mano
11th October 2005, 12:21 PM
Dear Sheila!

If we soak the rice and the lentils in water for some minutes, they will be cooked quickly and it will be easy to mash. In normal cooking, if you soak the raw rice for at least 10 minutes and boiled rice for 30 minutes, the texture of the cooked rice will be very very soft and you can also see the cooked raw rice thin and long. In briyani types, the grains will not stick with one another. If you soak mochaikkottai, black eye beans etc in water for long hours, you can see the difference after they are cooked to the ones which are cooked directly
For pongal varieties, 4:1 measurement of water and rice is always correct. But sometimes, some rice varieties do need a little more water. So 5:1 is the safest one when you cook the pongal directly. You can also prepare the pongal by the pressure cooker method with less water in the ratio of 2 1/2 :1

rajshank
13th October 2005, 03:24 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I have not tried your Tomato Masala recipe yet, since it is Navarathri and i cannot use Onions. Tomorrow most likely i will make it. Thanks a lot for your recipe.

I had asked Aunty about the Mullu Murukku recipe. She said she will give it to me. Shall post it as soon as i get hold of it.

Thankyou once again
Rajshank

nag
13th October 2005, 02:01 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I found this thread interesting
Can u suggest me how tomake bisebella bath.
Any help appreciated

-nag

dev
13th October 2005, 02:18 PM
Nag,

U should be able to find the recipe in Karnata recipes thread...chk it out...

di
15th October 2005, 01:33 AM
hi Mrs Mano,
could you plz the recipe for Karakuzhmabu which has eggplant or parika as the vegetable? thanks.

Noodles
16th October 2005, 01:02 PM
Mrs. Mano

Could please post the pressure cooking tips on

Cooking Time, Water Ratio for the following items:

RICE

DHAL/LENTIL

VEGETABLE

MEAT

regards
Noodles

nag
16th October 2005, 08:36 PM
Dev,
I am not able to locate the recipe for bisebella bath.Could u pls provide the link?

-Nag

dev
17th October 2005, 06:57 AM
Nag,
U'll have to searc for it in the old responses...

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2005, 11:14 PM
Dear Dev!

Here is a recipe for kovaikkaai.

KOVAIKKAI FRY:

Ingredients:

Kovaikkai- 1/4 kilo
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves- a few
Oil- 3 tbsps
Grind the following ingredients to a paste:
Shredded coconut- 3 tbsps
Sambar onions- 5
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Garlic flakes- 4
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Cut the kovaikkai in to thin long stripes.
Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the chopped onion and fry it until it becomes golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until it is mashed well and the oil floats on the surface. Then add the sliced kovaikkai with the powders, the paste and enough salt. Fry well until the vegetable is cooked well. Mix in the chopped coriander and curry leaves.

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2005, 11:15 PM
[tscii:b72262204e]Dear Rain!

About the ‘dum’ method using for kuska briyani- When the briyani is almost cooked and all the water is absorbed, place the vessel on a pre-heated tawa and reduce the heat to low fire. Cover the vessel with a flat lid. Pour cool water in a small bowl and place it on the flat lid. After 10 minutes, the water in the bowl will become a little warm. Take off the lid, mix the briyani well without breaking the rice and pour a little ghee on it. Then again close it with the lid and place the bowl on it. After 10 minutes the water will become hot and at that time, the briyani will be ready.
You can try this briyani in cooker by adding water to the rice in 1 ¼: 1 ratio. You must cook it for one whistle and then reduce the heat to low fire and cook for another five minutes. I do not know how the frozen coconut will be there. If you keep the fresh shredded coconut in the freezer, then you can take it our and prepare coconut milk from it. 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded coconut can be used for 2 cups of rice.
[/tscii:b72262204e]

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2005, 11:17 PM
Hello Di!

I have already posted the recipe for karakuzambu. Here I am re-posting it for you. You can add brinjals instead of drumsticks.

KARAMANI KARA KUZHAMBU [Chettinadu style]:

Ingredients:

Karamani paruppu- 1/2 cup
Tamarind- a big lime size
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Garlic fales-5
Small onions- 1 cup
Finely chopped tomatoes- 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 2tsp
Drumstick pieces-8
Grind to a paste: shredded coconut-4tbsp, sambar onions-3, fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Enough gingelly oil
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the Karamani paruppu for 4 hours and then drain the water.
Add 1 cup of fresh water and cook the karamani in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles. Soak the tamarind in water for half an hour and then extract its juice.
Heat a kadai and pour enough gingelly oil.
Add the mustards seeds and when they splutter add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and the garlic flakes.
Then add the sambar onions with the tomatoes and cook under moderate fire until they are well mashed.
Pour the tamarind extract, with the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, drumstick pieces and enough salt.
Let the kuzhambu simmer for 15 minutes.
Then add the ground paste to the kuzhambu and allow it to simmer for a few minutes.

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2005, 11:19 PM
Dear Noodles!

Here are the pressure-cooking tips for the following ingredients that you have requested.
Boiled rice[ponni variety]- 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups of water to a cup of rice. The measurement will differ according to the type of the rice. Soak the rice in water for 1/2 hour and then Cook for 7 whistles.
Raw rice [ponni varaity]: 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water to a cup of rice. Soak the rice for 15 minutes and cook for 6 whistles.
For dal varieties and meat, you can pour the water one inch higher to the surface level. For potato, you can cut the potato into two pieces, place them on a flat tray and pressure cook for 5 whistles.

gvb
20th October 2005, 11:38 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I made Cheese and Onion paratha for lunch this afternoon and enjoyed its taste very much.Thanks for posting the recipe.

Regards,
Suganthi.

di
21st October 2005, 01:41 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,
Thank you for posting the karakuzhambu recipe! will try it and let u know the results.

rain
21st October 2005, 03:08 AM
hello mrs.mano,

nice to see u back!

thank u so much for ur patience to explain me my doubts.it's clear now.

let me also add.i had tried ur snake gourd kootu and it came out real tasty.we enjoyed it very much :)

regards,
rain

arrecipes
21st October 2005, 04:41 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried Paruppu Urundai kozhambu today and the balls started to disintegrate. I followed the same steps as given in the recipe, but yet it did not work out for me. Can u suggest some tips to prevent the disintegration of the balls.

Noodles
21st October 2005, 11:15 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano

Thank you very much for the tips on pressure cooking. It wud be more use ful.

Take Care!

Sun
22nd October 2005, 07:24 AM
Hai Mrs.Mano,

Could you please give me the recipe for karuvepillai sadam(curry leaves sadam).

Thanks so much.
Sun

Suja Rajkumar
22nd October 2005, 09:23 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried your Kushka briyani yesterday, for a party. It was a great hit. Thanks so much for posting the recipe.

Regards
Suja

rajshank
25th October 2005, 03:47 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

I have finally got the recipe and tried it this weekend. It tasted very good. Just that the murukkus turned a little dark. The ones that aunty had made were light orange, but still very crisp. Can u tell me the right time to take out the murukkus from oil. I thought that they will not be crisp and eneded up frying them till they became dark orange.

I am quoting Aunty's reipe as it is...

POTTU KADALAI MURUKKU

Ingredients:

Pacchai arisi maavu - 2 tumbler
Pottu kadalai maavu - 1 3/4 tumbler
Urad maavu - 1/4 tumbler
Samayal oil - 1 kuzhi karandi or small karandi - 2
Ellu
Chiragam
Salt
Perungayam

Method:

Mix the above ingredients by carefully adding adequate water.
Put the above mixture in a mullu murukku press and press into hot oil.

Noodles
25th October 2005, 11:14 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Canu pls post the recipe for

ARAITHU VITA SAMBAR

Noodles
25th October 2005, 04:18 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano

Can u please post the recipe for ARAITHU VITTA SAMBAR

Thanks in ADvance

vm
25th October 2005, 07:19 PM
Hi rajshank,

In the murukku, u have mentioned that about Pacchai arisi maavu, do we need to dry grind this or do we need to soak for sometime and dry grind the rice? Kindly clarify

gvb
27th October 2005, 04:35 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope you are having a wonderful time with ur preparations for Diwali.I made Rava urundai,Omapodi and thenkuzhal as per ur recipe and am really very happy with the results.I will be making ribbon pakoda soon.

Thanks and regards,
Suganthi.

rajshank
28th October 2005, 12:24 AM
Hi vm,

The rice that i used was "rice flour" that we get in the stores. I just dry roasted the flour lightly before using it.

But the Aunty whose recipe i have posted, originally used Raw rice that was soaked, dried and then ground into a flour. U may use whichever method suits u.

Correct me if i am wrong Mrs. Mano. I am just writing with whatever little knowledge i have.

Rajshank

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2005, 08:42 PM
Dear Suganthi!

I felt happy to know that you got successful results with my recipes of Rawa urundai, omappodi, thenkuzhal and onion&cheese paratha. Thanks a lot for the nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2005, 08:43 PM
Hello rain!

I was delighted to know that your snake gourd koottu became delicious. Thank you very much for the feedback.

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2005, 08:44 PM
Dear Arrecipes!

When you grind for the paruppu urundai, do not add water. If the mixture is thick the balls will be strong and will not break when they are being cooked. In another way, you can steam the balls for 10 minutes in an idli plate and then add them in the kuzhambu. In this way, they will not break. This is the method most of the people are following. But I feel personally that the balls are a little hard when they are cooked in this way.

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2005, 08:46 PM
Hello Sun!
Here is the recipe for curry leaves sadham.

CURRY LEAVES RICE:

Ingredients:

Curry leaves- 1 cup
Cooked rice- 2 cups
Ghee- 2 tsp
Black gram- 2 tsp
Bengal gram- 1 tsp
Red chillies-5
Asofetida- a pea size
Shredded coconut- 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Cashew nuts- a few
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 2 tsp

Procedure:

Mix the hot cooked rice with a spoon of ghee. Heat a kadai and pour 1/2 tsp of oil. Add the asofetida and fry it. Take it away and then add the black gram, Bengal gram and the red chillies. Fry them and when they become slightly golden brown colour, add the curry leaves and fry it until crisp. Take them away. Fry the shredded coconut in a spoon of ghee to a golden colour. When cooled, powder all of these ingredients coarsely. Add this powder to the rice with enough salt and the turmeric powder. Mix well. Again heat a kadai and pour the remaining oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the cashew nuts and fry it to a golden colour. Add this to the rice and mix well.

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2005, 08:47 PM
Hello SujaRajkumar!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on kuska briyani.

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2005, 08:47 PM
Dear rajshank!

Thanks a lot for the pottukkadalai murukku recipe. Yr clarification is also very nice.

sri2005
29th October 2005, 01:18 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,.

I tried making murukku withthe rice flour but my murukku were not crispy ..
COuld you please let me know..how to fry the murukku.
1) Should the oil be too hot like for making puri,
2)ow long should I keep the murukku in the oil.
3)SHould I pour lots of oil in the pan so that the murukku immerses..
I am planning to make this for diwali this weekend.

Thanks in advance

Mrs.Mano
29th October 2005, 01:35 PM
Hello sri2005!

When frying the murukku, it must be fried deeply in lots of oil. The fire should not be very hot. It must be medium. Then only the murukku will be still white and also crisp.

arrecipes
30th October 2005, 05:11 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Can U Pls. post the 'Thattai' recipe.

arrecipes
30th October 2005, 05:16 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thanks for the detailed clarification on Paruppu Urundai Kozhambu. I followed it and it turned out really good. My Family Members are at total surprise seeing me cook different delicious items everyday. Thank you very much for your valuable guidance.

-arrecipes

Mrs.Mano
31st October 2005, 09:26 AM
Dear Friends!

MY HEARTIEST WISHES FOR A WONDERFUL AND HAPPY DEEPAVALI!!!

gvb
1st November 2005, 09:28 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano and Friends,
Wish you all a lovely and wonderful Diwali.

Regards,
GVB

Noodles
1st November 2005, 10:45 AM
Wish u a Very Happy Diwali to THE MODERATORS and MRS. MANO, MRS.Bhargavi, Mrs. Sowmya, Mrs.R and all the Forum Hubbers!

Enjoy this Happy Season

Noodles

arrecipes
1st November 2005, 07:53 PM
Dear Hubbers,
Wish U all a wonderful Diwali.

arrecipes

Shoba
2nd November 2005, 11:46 AM
[tscii:243c25e645]
Dear KH!
Here is the recipe of vegetable briyani for you! This is a Moghal type of veg Briyani.

VEGETABLE BRIYANI:

Ingredients:
Briyani rice- 3 cups, enough ghee, milk- ¼ cup, cashew nuts- ½ cup, raisins- ½ cup[optional], cauliflower florets- 250gms, potatoes[cubed]- 250gms, carrot[cubed]- 100gms, frozen or fresh peas- 1 cup, finely chopped tomatoes- 1 ½ cups, cinnamon powder- 1 tsp, chilli powder- 1 tsp, turmeric powder- 1 tsp, coriander powder- 1 tbsp, grated ginger- 1 tsp, crushed garlic- 1 pod, Fresh curd- ¾ cup, green chilli [chopped]- 2 tbsp, cream- 1 cup, big onion-6 to 8[ sliced], salt to taste
Powder the following ingredients coarsely:
Cinnamon- 3 pieces, cloves- 5, cardamom- 5, peppercorns- ½ sp
Procedure:
Fry the onion slices in a little ghee to brown and keep them aside. In the same kadai, add more ghee and add half of garlic, half of the cinnamon powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and the turmeric powder. Stir for a minute and then add the vegetables with enough salt and water. Cook the vegetables on medium fire. Beat the curds and add the remaining garlic, cinnamon powder and the ginger. Mix well and add this to the vegetables. Mix well, cook for a few minutes and keep them aside. Heat a vessel and add enough ghee. Fry the roasted powder for a few seconds. Then add cashew nuts and raisins and fry for a few seconds. Add the rice with 6 cups of water. Cook until all the water is evaporated. In a large vessel, spread 1/3 portion of the rice. Sprinkle some cream, milk and onion slices. Spread half of the vegetables. Again spread the rice with the onion and other ingredients. Again spread the remain vegetables and spread the last portion of rice on top and sprinkle tomato pieces, and green chillies . Pour some ghee. Place in a slow oven and cook for 20 minutes.

Dear Mrs Mano,

I tried the above recipe (omitted the garlic) and the taste of the biriyani was good. I have, however a few doubts:

1. If one doesnt have an oven, how do we do the last stage of cooking in a slow oven?

2. I noticed that there is actually no soaking, draining and frying of the basmati rice prior to cooking. Please confirm. (I did all 3 steps)

3. Instead of cream, can thick yoghurt be used?

4. Salt is used only when cooking vegetables. Do we add enough for the veggies as well as the rice? (I added separately while cooking the rice and then for the veggies)

Please clarify my doubts when you have the time.

Thanks!
Shoba[/tscii:243c25e645]

minir
2nd November 2005, 10:02 PM
Hai Mrs Mano,

I accidently got into this site and I should say this is awesome work that you do.I really can't believe that someone would take so much effort to help others..Its really appreciable!!!.You r doing fabuolus work.I have a 9 month old baby boy and I am not a very good cook.My husband is from CBE an I am from kerala.I wanted to cook something for him in Tamilnadu style and now I am sure I will be able to do it with your and others help.I have a query and I am not sure that I can post it here.It's about my baby ...I am in USA and wanted to know what all foods can I prepare at home for my baby.Do reply back when you have time....thanks,bye

gvb
3rd November 2005, 12:48 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Tried ur "cucumber kootu" and it was very yummy.Thanks.

Regards,
Suganthi.

Inimai
4th November 2005, 12:35 AM
Dear mrs. mano,

I made Idiyappam according to your recipe. I used the store bought rice flour. The noodles were become very hard. Could you kindly give a suggestion how to get soft noodles using the store bought rice flour?

I made Ribbon pakoda according to your recipe ( type II). It came out very well. Since I couldn't handle the murukku press, I turned the rest of the flour into thattai by adding few ingredients. It was awesome. Thanks for your recipe! I cannot handle the usual murukku press. It's very hard. Could you suggest any other easy thing which is available in the market? Since you are running a restaurant, You must be knowing some easy tools, I guess.

Thanks for your time and my belated Diwali wishes to you.

Thanks!

gvb
4th November 2005, 12:58 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Whenever i make semiya upma i find that it sticks to each other.Is that how it will be or is there a way to get them like noodles?

Thanks,
Suganthi.

di
4th November 2005, 01:08 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,

i recently bought a bag of Laxmi brand 'Seeraga Samba rice'- very aromatic but when cooked in the microwave with 1:2 - rice- water for 18 mins turns out mushy and sticks together! :( i tried reducing the water but the rice doesn't cook properly!

any suggestions/tips to get fully cooked but not sticky rice?
i want to know for regular plain rice- not for biryani/pulao etc!

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2005, 01:11 PM
[tscii:e72f8903c5]Dear Arrecipes!

I felt happy to know that you became successful with the ‘paruppu urundai kuzhambu’. Thanks a lot for the feedback. Here is a recipe for ‘Thattai’.

THATTAI:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 2 cups
[Small] Garlic flakes- 10
Red chillies-3
Asafotida powder- 1/2 tsp
Butter- 2 tsp
Soaked Bengal gram- a handful
Sesame seeds- 3 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Grind the red chillies, garlic and A.powder to a fine paste. Soak the rice for ½ hour and then drain the water. Then pound the rice to a fine powder and sieve twice. Roast the powder to a very light brown colour. When cooled, add all the above ingredients and the ground paste to the flour and make soft dough adding enough salt. Make small even balls and flatten them thinly. Deep fry them in hot oil.

[/tscii:e72f8903c5]

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2005, 01:16 PM
[tscii:af2e0431cf]Dear Noodles!

Here is the recipe for ‘Araiththu vitta sambar’.

ARAITHTHU VITTA SAMBAR:

Ingredients:

Lentils- 1/4 cup
Tamarind- a small lime size
Small onions- a handful
Chopped tomatoes- 1 to 2 cups
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Oil- 4 tbsp
Asafotida powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander - 3 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful

Roast the following ingredients in a spoon of oil and then grind them to a paste:

Red chillies-4, Bengal gram- 2 tsp, black gram- 1 tsp, coriander seeds- 3 tsp, fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp, shredded coconut- 3 tbsps

Procedure:

Pressure cook the lentils.
Soak the tamarind in enough water for an hour and then extract its thick juice. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the sambar onions with the A.Powder and fry them well. Add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until the oil floats on the surface. Add the tamarind extract and let it boil for a few minutes. Then add the ground paste with enough salt and the cooked lentils and allow the sambar simmer for some minutes. Add the chopped coriander leaves and the curry leaves.

[/tscii:af2e0431cf]

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2005, 01:18 PM
[tscii:d4b2659455]Dear Shoba!

If you haven’t an oven, then you can cook the briyani in the ‘dhum’ method in a gas oven.
Yes. I have forgotten to mention about the soaking of the rice. For all types of briyani, and the preparations of any rice variety, the rice must be soaked for at least half an hour prior to cooking. Frying it in ghee is not a must. Instead of cream, you can add thickened milk. Salt must be added separately when cooking the vegetables as well as the rice.

[/tscii:d4b2659455]

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2005, 01:18 PM
[tscii:d4d4f88b3c]Hello Minir!

Thanks a lot for the sincere appreciation. I hope you will become an expert in Tamilnadu cookery very soon!
About the baby food-I am not much familiar with it. You can find a few threads on it in this same ‘food’ section. Please go through them.

[/tscii:d4d4f88b3c]

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2005, 01:19 PM
[tscii:cdd224e1eb]Dear Suganthi!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘cucumber koottu’. I really appreciate yr eagerness in trying every recipe and yr sincerity in posting the feedback continuously.
[/tscii:cdd224e1eb]

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2005, 01:20 PM
[tscii:f1bc2a3ccf]Hello Di!

Jeeraka samba rice is used only for making briyani or pulao as it is suitable only for that kind of varieties. If you want to try it for regular rice, you can try in the cooker by adding 1 ¼ cup of water to 1 cup of rice. I am not sure about it. Or you can try it through the ‘Dhum’ method by adding 1 ½ cup of water to 1 cup of rice.
[/tscii:f1bc2a3ccf]

kritica
6th November 2005, 02:14 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I know this is your thread... would you mind if i post Podimas( potato) curry.... well i dont know if you have posted... would you mind if i post it along with carrot parupusuli... please let me know... i just dont want to start a thread for just these two recipes....
thanks
Kritica

dev
6th November 2005, 09:52 AM
Kritica,

I'm starting a new thread for hubber's contributions- recipes & tips... You can post the recipes there if U wish...

Mrs.Mano
6th November 2005, 10:34 AM
Hello kritica!

You are most welcome to post any recipes here as this thread is especially for Tamilnadu recipes. All the hubbers will be benefited by yr recipes.

Kateangeline
6th November 2005, 10:50 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Is there any problem with the arusuvai website?I am not able to access it since the past week.I love to see your weekly contributions in that site.

Regards,
Kate.

kritica
7th November 2005, 03:58 AM
hello dev and Mrs.Mano,
will post my recipes soon... well i could post it in the other thread which dev is going to create......
well once i am done with typing in the recipe.. iw ill post it....here and there too.. so its upto dev to keep it or delete it....
cheers
Kritica

Thattai
7th November 2005, 09:04 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Could you please suggest some different ways to make avarakkai? I usually make a standard sabzi with onions, tomatoes and curry powder or include it as a sambhar vegetable. Any inputs with regards to new ways of making this vegetable would be most welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Thattai

tomato
7th November 2005, 09:19 AM
Thattai,
Could u pls post the recipe of 'avarakkai' that u just mentioned.

Thattai
7th November 2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Tomato!

HAve posted the recipe in the hubbers contribution thread started by dev. PLease ck it out there.

Thanks,

Thattai

Noodles
7th November 2005, 10:53 AM
Dear Mrs. mano

Thanks for posting recipe for "ARAITHUVITA SAMBAR". Have a great day.

Regards
Noodles

rain
7th November 2005, 10:46 PM
hello mrs.mano,

tried pongal and kuska biryani over the weekend.both came out tasty and was well appreciated too.all thanks to u. :)

regards,
rain

di
8th November 2005, 12:02 AM
hi Mrs Mano,
Thanks for u'r input on 'Seeraga Samba rice'!

Urmila
8th November 2005, 01:28 AM
HI Mrs.Mano,
Can you explain the correct way to make vazhakkai varuval [plantain chips] like how we get in shops ? I either get crisp but dark browned ones or if I take them out when pale colour, they remain very soft. Would like to know when exactly should they be taken out of the oil --- should we fry in high heat ?
Please explain,
Thanks & bye,
Urmila.

gvb
8th November 2005, 02:07 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I need some suggestions from you on cooking cauliflower crisply without overcooking them.
Also could you please post the recipe for "Kothamalli biryani" if u have it?My friend's mom used to make it all the time and it will be very delicious.

Thanks and Regards,
Suganthi.

Shoba
8th November 2005, 09:12 AM
[tscii:dc4fda6dd8]Dear Shoba!

If you haven’t an oven, then you can cook the briyani in the ‘dhum’ method in a gas oven.
Yes. I have forgotten to mention about the soaking of the rice. For all types of briyani, and the preparations of any rice variety, the rice must be soaked for at least half an hour prior to cooking. Frying it in ghee is not a must. Instead of cream, you can add thickened milk. Salt must be added separately when cooking the vegetables as well as the rice.

[/tscii:dc4fda6dd8]

Mrs Mano, sorry to bother you again, but I dont have an oven. What do I do to complete your recipe?

Thank you for clarifying all other points Mrs Mano!

Regards,
Shoba

dev
8th November 2005, 10:25 AM
Shoba,

I guess U've overlooked Mrs.Mano's answer... She has suggested the Dhum method on the gas stove incase U don't have an oven...:)

Shoba
8th November 2005, 04:19 PM
Shoba,

I guess U've overlooked Mrs.Mano's answer... She has suggested the Dhum method on the gas stove incase U don't have an oven...:)

Hi Dev,

Mrs Mano mentioned gas oven...not gas stove :-), hence my message to her.

Shoba

dev
8th November 2005, 04:59 PM
I was of the opinion that gas oven=gas stove... Never knew tht there was something called gas oven... :roll:

arrecipes
8th November 2005, 07:29 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Tried Thattai and it turned out to be great. It would be great if u let me know the recipe of tomato ooththappam.
Thank you very much for your service.

arrecipes

sangii77
9th November 2005, 01:48 AM
This question is for anyone having success with tortilla press for making chappathis, especially ppl in USA. I got this tortilla press from a kitchenware store thinking that it would maker my rolling process much simpler. But havent been successfull in my effort. I place the ball shaped dough in between 2 wax papers and then in the center of the press and press it. The result either sticks to the paper or is thick and has not rolled out to the full size of the press. if i press harder in this scenario after i take it out of the paper it shrinks back to a smaller size.

I do know that ppl are successful cos most of the rotis sold in desi stores are the same size and iam 99% positive they do it with this.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

- Sangeetha

pr
12th November 2005, 03:44 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I went thru ur tips section in arusuai.com .Regarding the methi, milagu powder for diabetic people, can u pls mention the exact quantity to be taken after food .
Thanks and Regards
Pr

pr
12th November 2005, 05:05 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
In some of ur recipes u ahve mentioned muzhu payir . what is muzhu payir ? any other names ?? pls clarify when you find time .
Thanks and Regards
Pr

Nichiro
12th November 2005, 08:44 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
In some of ur recipes u ahve mentioned muzhu payir . what is muzhu payir ? any other names ?? pls clarify when you find time .
Thanks and Regards
Pr

If I may answer on behalf of Mrs. Mano,

Muzu Payir is nothing but whole green gram. Whole Mung.
In kannada Hesar Kaalu.

Noodles
12th November 2005, 10:53 AM
I tried KUSKA BRIYANI yesterday, I prepared with one cup of rice. It came out well. I tried cooking with DHUM method I succeeded.

Thanks Mano

One more request, If u could include the No. of Servings along with ur recipes it wud be very useful.

Thanks

Noodles

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:07 PM
[tscii:388f0ece01]Dear Urmila!

I think that you have asked about the banana chips [nenthirangkai chips] prepared by the keralites. They are very expert in this. I like Mrs. Chithra’s method. Here I have pasted the link for that.
http://geocities.com/onasadya/
And thanks a lot for the feedback on kuska briyani.

[/tscii:388f0ece01]

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:12 PM
Dear Suganthi!

Usually the cauliflower florets are very soft and even if we make fries like other fried recipes, the crispness will not last long.

Here is the recipe for Koththamalli briyani.

CORIANDER BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 2 1/2 cups
Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
Ghee- 1/4 cup
Sliced onion- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp

Powder the following ingredients coarsely:

Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Cardamom-2
Cloves-2
Cinnamon- 1 piece

Grind the following ingredients to a coarse mixture:

Tomato [finely chopped]-1cup
Minced ginger- 1 tsp
Minced garlic- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander - 2 cups
Green chillies-1 or 2

Procedure:

Soak the rice in enough water for 1 hour and then drain it in a colander. Heat a broad vessel and pour the ghee. Add the onion with the coarse powder. Fry them well to a golden brown colour. Add the coarse mixture with the turmeric powder and fry them for a few minutes until a fine aroma floats on the air. The green colour should not be changed. Add the coconut milk with enough salt and water. Cook until the rice is done. Add fried cashew nuts for garnishing.

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:12 PM
[tscii:21a65a4cdb]Hello Shoba!

There are gas stoves with or without oven. If you have only gas stove without oven, you can ‘dhum’ the briyani in the following method.
Place a ‘thosaikkal’ on the burner and heat it in full fire. When it is heated fully, reduce the heat to low, and place the briyani vessel on it which is cooked to its 3/4th. Cover with a flat lid. Place a small bowl which is full of cold water [not ice water] on it. Let the briyani cook on this slow fire for 10 minutes. The water in the bowl will become warm. The rice will be almost cooked to perfection. Then open the vessel, mix the briyani carefully, add ghee or anything you want and then again close with the lid and place the bowl again. After 10 minutes the water will become hot and the briyani will be ready to serve. This is the ‘dhum’ method I follow in places where I couldn’t get an oven.
[/tscii:21a65a4cdb]

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:16 PM
[tscii:ddd386a445]Dear arrecipes!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘Thattai’. Here is the recipe for ‘Tomato ooththappam’.

TOMATO OOTHTHAPPAM:

Ingredients:

Boiled rice-1 1/2 cups
Raw rice- 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Lentils- 2 tbsp
Bengal gram- 1 tsp
Tomato [chopped] - 1 cup
Tamarind- a lime size
Red chillies- 5
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the rice varieties with the fenugreek seeds and the lentils in enough water for 4 hours. Then grind them to a fine batter with the tomatoes, red chillies and tamarind. Add enough salt and allow the batter to ferment for 5 hours. Now you can make ooththappams as usual. You can add finely chopped onion[ 1 cup] as optional.
[/tscii:ddd386a445]

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:17 PM
Dear thattai!

Other than koottu, sambar, poriththa kuzhambu and poriyal with avaraikkai, there is no recipe I know on avaraikkai.

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:17 PM
[tscii:ee50e3f00d]Hello rain!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘kuska briyani’ and ‘pongal’.

[/tscii:ee50e3f00d]

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2005, 08:19 PM
[tscii:aa84981ee3]Dear Pr!

As Mr.Trivedi had mentioned, ‘muzhu payir’ is ‘whole green gram’ in English.

About the fenugreek powder for the diabetes, fry lightly 100gms of fenugreek seeds with 2 tbsps of peppercorns for a few minutes. There is no need to wait for the change of colour.When cooled, grind them to a fine powder. 1 tsp of this powder must be taken in the morning as well as in the night after taking the food. If the diabetes is in the borderline, one spoon in the morning is enough.
[/tscii:aa84981ee3]

gvb
13th November 2005, 05:39 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thank you very much for the Kothamalli biryani recipe.I will get back to you as soon as i try it.

regards,
Suganthi

pr
13th November 2005, 09:09 AM
Dear Mrs Mano and Mr Trivedi
Thank u for clarifying me about muzhu payir ..
Dear Mrs Mano ..
Thank u very much for the explanation about diabetic powder ..
Regards
Pr

gvb
13th November 2005, 11:56 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
I tried ur Kothamalli biryani sooner than i thot i wud :) and it turned out to be delicious..Exactly the same as i tasted at my friend's house..Thank you very much for yet another of your yummy recipe.

Regards
Suganthi

Noodles
14th November 2005, 12:02 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano

I tried Kuska briyani. It was really Superb.

I just tried with one cup of rice and used my basic math to reduce the ingredents from 6 cups to one cup. I had a doubt that it wud come upto my expectations. Finally It turened out well. Could u pls post the ingredents for one cup.

Once more request, In all ur recipes kindly mention the number of servings.

I have complied all your recipes Older and New responses into KEY NOTE. Once its done i will send it to u.

Please send ur Email Adress.

my email id is:

leotech@rediffmail.com

NOODLES

arrecipes
14th November 2005, 08:28 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thanks for the tomato ooththappam recipe. I will try it and let u know the results. I made Kothamalli Biryani yesterday and it was delicious. My family really liked it very much. Thanks for providing us with such wonderful recipes.

kritica
14th November 2005, 08:58 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Was wondering if you could post the recipe for kothamalli podi.. just like parupu podi.... thanks in advance....
kritica

Inimai
16th November 2005, 01:47 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I'm expecting your reply for the query I've posted on page 95.

Thanks!

Dear mrs. mano,

I made Idiyappam according to your recipe. I used the store bought rice flour. The noodles were become very hard. Could you kindly give a suggestion how to get soft noodles using the store bought rice flour?

I made Ribbon pakoda according to your recipe ( type II). It came out very well. Since I couldn't handle the murukku press, I turned the rest of the flour into thattai by adding few ingredients. It was awesome. Thanks for your recipe! I cannot handle the usual murukku press. It's very hard. Could you suggest any other easy thing which is available in the market? Since you are running a restaurant, You must be knowing some easy tools, I guess.

Thanks for your time and my belated Diwali wishes to you.

Thanks!

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2005, 01:21 AM
Dear Suganthi!

I felt happy to know that you have tested immediately the koththamalli briyani after seeing my recipe and became successful in it also.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2005, 01:22 AM
[tscii:3f929cb6e5]Dear Noodles!

Thank you very much for yr effort in compiling all my recipes in a key note. Hope you would have received my mail.

I felt happy to know that yr kuska briyani turned delicious for you.
About mentioning the number of servings- it is a bit difficult for me to put it clearly. The numbers of servings may differ from meals to meals. Sometimes ‘4 servings’ may be enough only for 3. So the person who cooks is the correct person to finalize the number of the servings according to the taste of the guests and according to her experience. That is why I always do not mention the measurement of the salt in my recipes because that also varies according to everyone’s taste. Hope you will understand.

For Kuska briyani-for one cup of rice- you can follow these measurements of the ingredients.
Onion-1 [finely sliced]
Slit Green chillies-2
Cardamom-2
Cinnamon-1 pieces
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Chopped coriander leaves-1 tbsp
Chopped mint leaves- 1tbsp
Cloves-2
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Coconut milk- half cup
Ghee-2 tbsp
Ginger paste-1/4 tsp
Garlic paste-1/4 tsp

[/tscii:3f929cb6e5]

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2005, 01:23 AM
Dear arrecipes!

I felt happy to know that yr family liked the koththamalli briyani you have cooked. Thank you very much for the nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2005, 01:27 AM
[tscii:061c0ddb3f]Dear kritica!

Here I am posting the recipe ‘ Koththamalli thokku ‘for you. This is a dry preparation but not like a powder as ‘Paruppu podi’. This is a traditional recipe which I have learnt from my mother in law. This delicious thokku goes well with curd rice, idli and dosai. I have posted this recipe previously in the guest’s corner of Mr.Hemant’s cookery website.

KOTHAMALLI THOKKU.[CORIANDER THOKKU]

Ingredients:

Coriander leaves- 2 big handfuls.
Red chillies: 15nos.
Split black gram- 3/4 cup[150 gram]
Asafoetida- a small piece
Tamarind- a small lemon size
Gingely oil
Enough salt.

METHOD:

Remove the big stems and wash the coriander leaves well. Coriander leaves with short stems will give more delicious taste. If so, there is no need to leave away the stems. Dry the leaves on a paper or a cloth.
In a kadai, pour 1sp of gingely oil and fry the asafotida piece. Then fry the red chillies for a few seconds. Take away the red chillies. In the same oil, fry the black gram on slow fire to a golden brown colour. This thokku is especially prepared in a ural. But we couldn't get that nowadays. So we can make this in a mixie. Powder the fried ingredients. Take away the powder.
In the mixie, put the tamarind pieces and pour 2 tsp of gingely oil. Run the mixie in high speed for a minute. Open it and see whether the tamarind has been crushed. If not, add one or two spoons of gingelly oil and again grind for a minute. Now add the powder and again run the mixie for a minute. Then add the coriander leaves and run the mixie for 2 minutes. Then open it and add enough salt. Again run the mixie for a minute. Now Kothamalli thokku is ready to serve.
[/tscii:061c0ddb3f]

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2005, 01:27 AM
[tscii:9c2cbea2a6]Dear Inimai!

I haven’t noticed yr posting previously and I regret for that. Somehow I have missed it.
Thanks a lot for the Diwali wishes as well as the feedback on ribbon pakoda.
The rice flour you have bought may not be suitable for the idiyappam preparation. Anyhow, roast it slightly and then use it after the flour has been cooled.
Other than the usual murukku press, a few good types of ‘murukku press’ has come in the market. You can get them in any Indian shops. With the new type[I think the brand’s names are ’Anjali and ‘Surya’.] you can hold the murukku press with yr left hand and just give pressure in the handles with the right hand. The dough will easily flow in the oil.
[/tscii:9c2cbea2a6]

kritica
18th November 2005, 01:33 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Thank you for your recipe.. i will try it over the weekend and let u know the results...
thank you once again

dev
18th November 2005, 09:22 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Tried Tomato briyani today... It turned out delicious... The only modi I did was to add skimmed milk+water instead of coconut milk... The recipe was very simple & quick to make...Thanks a lot for such simple & delicious recipe...

Have a doubt... the recipe doesn't call for gin-gar paste... Is that how it is made or should we add gin-gar paste?...

Inimai
20th November 2005, 05:39 AM
Dear mrs. mano,

Thank you for your suggestions!

cynthia_a02
21st November 2005, 12:02 AM
hai,
i'm new to this hub.Anyone please send Mrs.mano's cookbook receipe to cynthia_a02@yahoo.com.
Thanks

kritica
21st November 2005, 02:31 AM
Hi all,
please do send me mrs.mano's recipe book... to kritica_22@yahoo.com
thanks in advance
Kritica

Thattai
21st November 2005, 10:54 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Could you please suggest some different ways to make avarakkai? I usually make a standard sabzi with onions, tomatoes and curry powder or include it as a sambhar vegetable. Any inputs with regards to new ways of making this vegetable would be most welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Thattai

Dear MRs MAno,

Would appreciate your inputs for the above query.

In the meantime, also made ven pongal and potato and brinjal kothsu as per your recipes. Both turned out very nice. Made mutton biryani also as per the 1st method. This has become a standard in our house, and my husband does not want me to try any other method, as he likes it so much!

Thattai

dev
21st November 2005, 03:11 PM
Thattai, I believe Mrs.Mano has already responded to the above query abt avarakkai... pls browse thry the previous posts...

dsankaran
21st November 2005, 08:52 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

This query might sound silly.. but I tasted a wonderful rava kichadi at my friends place yesterday. She also makes kesari that melts in the mouth. When I asked her for the rava: water ratio and asked if she added ghee, she said that she uses 1:1.5 ratio (which is what I use as well) and added only 1 tsp of ghee. I am trying to get my kids to eat south indian food. They binged on the kichadi yesterday. I wish I could make upma/ kichadi that good for them. My upma/ kichadi doesn't turn out that soft.

Could you detail out step by step instructions for yummy upma/kichadi?

My friend seems to think that she doesn't do anything different. :(

Thanks
D

kavithasenthil
21st November 2005, 09:50 PM
Uppma tastes better when u use good amount of oil/ghee and fried rava.

dev
21st November 2005, 10:00 PM
Dsankaran, if possible take a look at how she prepares the upma/kichadi... This will give U an idea as to where she differs... & i believe the ratio of rava: water depends on the quality,thickness of the rava... So use ur personal observation in this...

Anyways, from health point of view, I try to use brown rava as much as possible... & I add lots of vegs... Fresh corn & green peas goes well with brown rava...

Thattai
22nd November 2005, 10:21 AM
thanks, dev. found the post

Dear Mrs. MAno,

could u please give the recipes for the kootu and the poriyal using avarakkai that u have mentioned? Especially the kootu?

Also made the Malabari Chicken Kuzhambu with chapattis for last night and had the leftovers with dosai this morning. In both cases it was very good. We both enjoyed it very much.

Thanks,

Thattai

Mrs.Mano
22nd November 2005, 10:40 PM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Tomato briyani. In this recipe, there is no need for garlic-ginger paste. If you want to add it, you can add in a small quantity. The taste will be a little different.

Mrs.Mano
22nd November 2005, 10:40 PM
Hello Kritica and Cynthiya!

You can view most of my recipes in the following links:
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/Tamilnadu_delicacies.doc
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/corrected_recipes_of_Mrs_Mano.doc

kritica
22nd November 2005, 10:42 PM
Romba Nandri Mrs.Mano
cheers
Kritica

Mrs.Mano
22nd November 2005, 10:44 PM
Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ven pongal, kothsu, Malabar chicken kuzhambu and the mutton briyani. In fact, I have learned this recipe of mutton briyani from one of my Muslim friend. To me, her briyani is the most delicious one. She always prepares it with the jeeraka samba rice which is available in Tamilnadu.
Here I am posting below the avaraikkai recipes for you.

AVARAIKKAI PORITHTHA KOOTTU:

Ingredients:

Avaraikkai- 250gm
Lentils- 1/4 cup
Tamarind paste- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Black gram- 2 tsp,
Red chillies-3,
Shredded coconut- a handful

Procedure:

Pressure cook the lentils. Cut the avaraikkai into 1/2 cm pieces and cook them in a vessel with enough salt and the turmeric powder. Roast the red chillies and the black gram in a sp of oil to a golden colour and grind them with the coconut to a fine paste. When the vegetable is almost cooked, add the tamarind with the ground paste. Mix well and let it simmer for a few minutes. Heat a small kadai and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the asafetida powder and the curry leaves. Add this to the koottu.

Variation:

Instead of black gram and the red chillies, grind 1 tsp of peppercorns and 1 tsp of cumin seeds with the coconut. Add 1/2 cup of chopped tomato instead of tamarind.

AVARAIKKAI PORIYAL:

Ingredients:

Avaraikkai- 250 gm
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Onion-1
Green chillies-2
Black gram- 1 tsp
Green gram- 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut- a handful
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Sprouted black eye beans- 1 cup [optional][cooked with a little salt]
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Cut the avaraikkai finely. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the black gram, green gram and the asafotida powder. Fry them for a few seconds and then add the chopped onion and the green chillies. Fry them to a light golden colour. Add the avaraikkai with the turmeric powder and enough salt. Sprinkle a little water. Cook it well. When the avaraikkai is cooked and all the water is evaporated, add the black eye beans, coriander leaves, curry leaves and the shredded coconut. Put off the fire and mix well.

java
23rd November 2005, 12:13 AM
dear Mrs.Mano,
iam new to this hub,i have a request for u,my husband likes raeshmi kabab,kalmi kabab...
can u plz post these recipes for me and the mint chutney that goes along with that......thank u

NOV
23rd November 2005, 06:45 AM
Congratulations Mrs Mano, on reaching 100 pages!!!

This works out to an average of 1 page every three days! Way to go. :D

sk
23rd November 2005, 07:01 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,

Could u please post the recipe for karam pakoda?.Thanx in advance.

Regards,
SK

dev
23rd November 2005, 10:34 AM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Tomato briyani. In this recipe, there is no need for garlic-ginger paste. If you want to add it, you can add in a small quantity. The taste will be a little different.

Thanks Mrs.Mano... I guess I'll follow the recipe as it is coz my husb, who takes briyani only when he doesn't have any other option, tasted the tomato briyani (of course after I requested him quiet a no of times to try it) & liked it!!!... He said it's very mild & to his taste... The gin-gar addition is for me, I like briyanis to be real spicy...:)

Kavitha Ravi
23rd November 2005, 07:53 PM
Congrats Mrs. Mano akka on reaching 100 pages.
It's the result of your untiring work.
Your services will not be forgotten.
A very big hand for Mano akka.
Kavitha Ravi

6thsense
23rd November 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi Mrs Mano,

I am new to this site and I'm enjoying this site alot. Few days back i made ur chettinaud Chicken biryani and it came out perfect and very tasty. Thanks :)

Mrs Mano i have been looking for a perfect recipe for the dish called BONELESS HANDI CHICKEN/ HANDI MURGH but couldn't find any single recipe on the net that seems perfect or exact. :( If u have any such recipe then plz do share as i am expecting some guests day after tomorrow n i wanna make that.

Thanx

dev
24th November 2005, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Can Mrs.Mano or anyone pls let me know some good combination for Pongal(other than sambhar,mint chutney & coconut chuteny)...

Shoba
24th November 2005, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Can Mrs.Mano or anyone pls let me know some good combination for Pongal(other than sambhar,mint chutney & coconut chuteny)...

Dev, we make vengaaya gotsu for pongal. Chop big onions finely. Red Chilli padi chopped finely. Lemon sized ball of tamarind. Asfoetida. Mustard seeds. Uzhutham paruppu. Rice flour for thickening. Curry leaves. Salt. Oil.

Burst mustard seeds, lower flame throw in uzhutham paruppu. When it turns slightly brown, add chopped onions, saute till translucent. Throw in the chopped red chillies. Saute. Add asfoetida. Saute. Add tamarind juice ( for one big onion, you might need at least one tumbler of water, or slightly more). Increase flame, bring to boil. Stir well, lower flame and let it boil for about 10 minutes or so, or until the raw taste of tamarind goe off. Add salt. Mix rice flour with water and make sure there are no lumps. Stir into the gotsu. Once it starts boiling, add curry leaves, stir well, check for salt and turn off the fire. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes before serving.

The finished product has a light purple tinge (coz of the onions & tamarind), shouldn't be gooey nor runny, and looks a pretty sight with the black dots of mustard seeds, redness of the chilli, green of curry leaves and translucent onions.

Sorry I dont have any exact measurements!

Shoba

dev
24th November 2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks Shoba... Will try & let U know...

Mrs.Mano
25th November 2005, 12:47 AM
Hello NOV!

Thank you very much for the appreciation as well as the encouragement. All these inspire more responsibility and dedication towards this thread!

Mrs.Mano
25th November 2005, 12:55 AM
Dear Kavitha Ravi!

Thanks a lot for the appreciation. Here I sincerely thank Mr.NOV, AND ALL THE FRIENDS AND HUBBERS for the support and the interest they have showered on this thread!

dev
25th November 2005, 07:48 AM
Mrs. Mano,
:thumbsup: Keep up the good work...

Nichiro
25th November 2005, 08:25 AM
Congratulations Mrs Mano, on reaching 100 pages!!!

This works out to an average of 1 page every three days! Way to go. :D

Hello Mrs. Mano,

My best wishes are with you.
Pray that you should write this thread for many years to come and soon bring out a very detailed cookery book which will be unique.

Nichiro