PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

dsankaran
25th November 2005, 06:27 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Congrats on reschiong a milestone. I made Potato-65 and ennai katharikkai as per your recipe for a Thanksgivingf dinner last night. All the guests appreciated both the dishes. Thanks to you for sharing these recipes.

- D

sk
26th November 2005, 05:50 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,

Could u please post the recipe for karam pakoda?.Thanx in advance.

Regards,
SK

hi Mrs Mano,

Congrats :)

Regards,
Sk

Ramanan
26th November 2005, 10:31 AM
Dear Mrs Mano

Please accept my congratulations on your fantastic century... and my best wishes for many to come.

Regrads

Ramanan

Suja Rajkumar
26th November 2005, 05:16 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Congrats on reaching 100 pages. You are doing a great job. Thanks a lot for sharing your recipes.

Suja Rajkumar

Mrs.Mano
27th November 2005, 11:22 PM
Hello Nichiro!

My heartiest thanks for the best wishes you have expressed. I do hope that this thread will continue beautifully with all your wishes.

Mrs.Mano
27th November 2005, 11:23 PM
Hello Dev!

Thanks a lot for the compliment. About the accompaniments for idli and pongal- I have already posted a few types of kothsu varieties as well as tomato and onion chutney varieties with the preparations of Idli, Dosai and Pongal. .

Mrs.Mano
27th November 2005, 11:23 PM
Dear Java!

As I have never tested the reshmi kabab and Kalmi kabab, I have pasted below the links for these recipes.

http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/reshmikabab.html
http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/kalmikabab.html

Mrs.Mano
27th November 2005, 11:25 PM
Hello Sk!

Thank you very much for the compliment. Here is the recipe for Karam pakoda.

GARAM PAKODA:

Ingredients:

Gram flour- 2 cups
Rice flour- 1 cup
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves-1/2 cup
Curry leaves- a handful
Onion- 4 to 6
Hot ghee- 1 tbsp
Sliced cashew nuts- a handful
Finely chopped green chillies- 1 tbsp
Enough salt and oil

Procedure:

Slice the onions very thinly. Crush them with the fingers and then add the other ingredients. Add enough salt. Mix well with the fingers. Do not add any water. If water is needed, sprinkle a little. Take out gooseberry-sized portions and drop them in the hot oil. Fry them to a golden brown colour.

Mrs.Mano
27th November 2005, 11:27 PM
Hello 6thsense!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Chicken Briyani.
Here is the recipe for Handi Chicken.

HANDI CHICKEN

Ingredients

Chicken pieces- 1 kilo
Green Chili paste- 2 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Lemon juice- 2 tsp
Sliced onion- 1 cup
Cashew nuts- 1/4 cup
Shredded coconut- 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves- 1 cup
Chilli powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Freshly ground garam masala powder- 1 tsp
Bay leaves- 3
Bay Leaves-2
Curd- 3 tbsp
Ghee- 3 tbsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Marinate the chicken pieces with the pastes, lemon juice and enough salt for 30 minutes.

Fry the sliced onions in a little ghee to a brown colour and grind it with the curd, coconut and the cashew nuts to a fine paste.
Heat the ghee and the oil. Add the marinated chicken and cook in low flame for a few minutes. Add the ground paste with the powders and the tomatoes and cook on medium fire until the chicken is cooked well. Add the coriander leaves and sprinkle the garam masala powder. Cook for a few minutes on slow fire.

Mrs.Mano
Dear D!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on potato-65 and Ennai akththarikkai as well as the nice appreciation on my work.

Mrs.Mano
Dear Ramanan and Suja Rajkumar!

Thank you very much for the warm wishes as well as the appreciation. With all your support and compliments, I do hope that I can continue this thread with more delicious recipes.

arrecipes
28th November 2005, 05:53 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
For Fried rice if I make plain rice(Basmathi) it is very sticky. I have tried immersing it in water for 30 minutes and then cook it. It is not working fine for me. Can u suggest me any tip in this regard.
Can U pls. post the recipe for egg rice.
Thanks

6thsense
28th November 2005, 01:37 PM
Thanx MRS Mano for chicken handi recipe, i'll try it n let u know. :D

I feel its very very difficult to share all ur hard worked ( if thats a word ) recipes to someone and not only u r sharing but also helping us to improve our cooking skills and most importantly u r giving us so much of ur time. Hats off to u.

Thanx alot once again

Lots of Luv

Nichiro
28th November 2005, 08:25 PM
Hello Nichiro!

My heartiest thanks for the best wishes you have expressed. I do hope that this thread will continue beautifully with all your wishes.

Dear Mrs. Mano,

I think you are single handedly carrying this thread on your shoulders and whatever good that can be said about your selfless service cannot be enough.
I think you should bring out a book in not too a distant future.

Forum Hub must be congratulated to give such a wonderful platform to cooks like us to come out with the best.

I pray this relationship goes on for many years to come.

Nichiro

Nichiro
28th November 2005, 08:27 PM
Hello Nichiro!

Dear Mrs. Mano,

I think you are single handedly carrying this thread on your shoulders and whatever good that can be said about your selfless service cannot be enough.
I think you should bring out a book in not too a distant future.

Forum Hub must be congratulated to give such a wonderful platform to cooks like us to come out with the best.

I pray this relationship goes on for many years to come.

Nichiro

gvb
28th November 2005, 09:25 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
My sincere wishes on reaching 100 pages.Kudos to the selfless dedication that you have had towards this thread and hope to see it flourish for a long,long time.
Just wanted to let you know that i tried "Avarakai poritha kootu" and needless to say it was awesome.Am happy that now i have a variation to make with that vegetable.

Thanks and regards,
Suganthi.

minir
28th November 2005, 09:49 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Hearty Congratulations on reaching the 100 pages mark....You r doing gr8 work!!I also wanted to know how to prepare Ragi dosa???I tried by mixing ragi flour with rice flour but unfortunatley the batter is sticking to the dosa tawa even though i put it in low flame....I am not able to spread the batter ...Can you give me any advise ???Hope to see many more of your delicious recipes in this forum...
Mini

dsankaran
29th November 2005, 12:50 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried your cucumber kootu. Came out very well. My kids (who are very picky eaters) had seconds of rasam rice with the kootu.

Thanks
D

dev
29th November 2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Mrs.Mano... I don't find the gothsu recipes in the index... I guess I'll have to search for it in the old responses...

Shoba,

Tried onion gothsu today... it was a good combination with Pongal... Thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

rain
29th November 2005, 11:25 PM
hello mrs.mano,

tried ur babycorn and palak masala over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. thanks !! also take this opportunity to wish u all the best for acheiving yet another milestone.

regards,
rain

huldaashok
30th November 2005, 06:27 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I have a become a regular reader of this thread. I have tried so many of your recipes. My favourite is "Tomoto Thokku". Thanks a lot for posting so many recipes. I read in one one your posts that you will be giving the recipe for "Pressure cooker Biryani". Please can you let me know the procedure .

Thanks,
Hulda

Mrs.Mano
30th November 2005, 12:21 PM
Dear D!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on cucumber koottu.

I have forgotten to reply for yr query about Rava kitchadi and I regret for the mistake.

Here are a few tips about it and also the recipe for that.
There is no need to fry the semolina for making uppuma, and kitchadi varieties. The semolina and the rice ratio must be 1:2. When you finish the last stage, you can add 1 or 2 spoons of ghee for a delicious touch. If you make the uppuma with the tempering of mustard seeds, black gram, Bengal gram,onion and green chillies, then it is the ordinary uppuma. If you add the vegetables, garlic flakes, shredded ginger and tomato, then it is kitchadi. If you add a little freshly ground garam masala, coconut milk and mint leaves, then it is semolina bath.

RAWA KITCHADI [SEMOLINA KITCHADI]:

Ingredients:

Semolina- 2 cups
Water- 4 cups
Sliced onion- 3
Chopped green chillies-3
Crushed tomatoes- 1 cup
mixed vegetables[carrot, beans, peas and potato which are chopped finely]- 1 cup
Garlic flakes- 6
Shredded ginger- 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
Curry laves- 1 arc
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Asafotida powder- 1/2 tsp
Black gram- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 5 tbsp
Ghee- 2 tsp

Procedure:

Heat a broad pan and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustards seeds, and when they splutter, add the black gram and fry for a few seconds. Add the chopped onion with the asafetida powder, garlic flakes and the shredded ginger. Fry for a few seconds. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder, coriander leaves, vegetables , curry leaves and a little salt. Fry them well until the tomatoes and the vegetables are cooked well and the oil floats on the surface. Add the water with enough salt. When the water starts to simmer, sprinkle the semolina little by little and cook on medium fire until the semolina is well cooked. Lastly, add the ghee and mix well for a few seconds.

deviraja
30th November 2005, 12:21 PM
Congratulations on ur successful 100 pages.Ur doing marvellous job,Mrs.mano i would like to view the responses in ur post that was posted in the year 2004 aug,can u send me that?
i need some gothsu recipes and ur recipe collection also.please send them to srivari2000@yahoo.com. Thank u very much
Deviraja

Mrs.Mano
30th November 2005, 12:28 PM
Hello Dev!

Here I am pasting a few chutney and kothsu varieties again for you from my recipes.

Tomato Onion Chutney:

In 2tbsps oil, fry 2 handfuls of small onions and 1sp asafoetida powder nicely. Add 2 cups of crushed tomato and fry well. Fry separately one handful of black gram, one handful of Bengal gram and one handful of red chillies nicely. Grind these all with 1/2 coconut [shredded], gooseberry size tamarind and enough salt.

Tomato Coconut kuzhambu:

Heat 2tbsps of oil. Add 1sp mustard seeds. When they splutter, add 1cup of chopped onion and 1 cup of chopped tomato. Fry well until they are mashed and oil floats on the top. Add 2sps chilli powder, 1sp coriander powder and 1sp turmeric powder and fry for a few minutes. Grind 1 cup of shredded coconut with 1sp ginger to a fine paste. Add this to the masala with 1 cup of water and enough salt. Cook until it is well blended.

Dhaniya Tomato Chutney:
In 1tbsp of oil, fry one handful of coriander seeds and 6 red chillies. Take them away. Again, in 2sps of oil, fry 1 cup of crushed tomato, 1 spring curry leaves, 10 garlic flakes, 1sp ginger and 10 small onions. Grind them to a fine paste with enough salt.

Peerkangai [Ridge Gourd] Kothsu:

Soak a lemon sized tamarind for half an hour and extract the thick juice from it. Cook 1 cup pf split green gram dhal in a kadai. When it is almost done, add 1/2 kilo peerkankai which are chopped very finely. Add 1sp turmeric powder and 4 slit green chillies also. When they are well cooked put off the fire and mash them with a potato masher. Heat 2 tbsps of oil and add 1sp of mustard seeds. When they splutter, add one onion and three tomatoes which are finely chopped. Cook until they are well mashed. Add the Tamarind juice and 1/2 cup of water. When they simmer for a few minutes, add the green gram gravy. Mix well. Add enough salt and water. Add 2tbsps of chopped coriander leaves and cook for a few minutes.

Ladies finger chutney:

Cut 4 ladies fingers into small pieces and fry them nicely in a tbsp of oil. Take them out. Add 1sp cumin seeds, 1 onion and 1 tomato [which are chopped nicely], 4 green chillies and 7 garlic flakes and fry them well until all are mashed well. Grind them all coarsely with a marble sized tamarind and enough salt.

Radish Chutney:

In a tsp of oil, fry a pea sized asafoetida and 4sps of black gram to a light brown colour. Grind them coarsely with one handful of shredded coconut, two handfuls of nicely cut radish, 7 green chillies, a small gooseberry sized tamarind and enough salt.

Cabbage chutney:

In 2tbsps oil, fry 1sp of black gram, 1sp of Bengal gram, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1sp ginger, and 2 garlic flakes. Add 1 cup of shredded cabbage and fry for a few minutes. Grind them all with a marble sized tamarind, 1tbsp shredded coconut and enough salt.

KATHTHARIKKAI AND POTATO KOTHSU

Ingredients:

Small brinjals-3[finely chopped]
Potato-1[cut into cubes]
Chopped tomatoes-1 cup
Slit green chillies-4
Big onion-2[chopped]
Turmeric powder-1sp
Mustard seeds-1sp
A small piece asafotida
Chopped coriander and curry leaves
Red chillies-4
Salt to taste
Oil-3tbsp
salt to taste

METHOD:

Place the brinjals, potato, tomato, onions and green chillies in a bowl, add enough water to cover the vegetables and pressure cook them to 5 or 6 whistles.
Then take the bowl out, and drain the water into another bowl.
Mash well the vegetables with the help of a potato masher.
Then again add the cooked water to it with 1 sp turmeric powder and enough salt.
Heat a kadai, and pour the oil.
When the oil becomes hot add the mustard seeds, the asafoetida , red chillies and the chopped leaves.
Pour this tempering to the prepared kothsu and let it simmer.
If the kothsu is too thick then you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of water for the right consistency.
Just let it simmer for 5 minutes only.
If this kothsu is simmered for a long time then its taste will not be the same.

KATHTHARIKKAI AND TOMATO KOTHSU

Ingredients:

Small brinjals-4
Red chillies-4
Coriander seeds-1sp
Gram dal-2sp
Mustards-1sp
Asafoetida powder-1sp
Curry leaves-1 spring
Onion-1[finely chopped]
Tomatoes-2 cup [finely crushed]
Turmeric powder-1sp
Chopped coriander leaves-2tbsp
Enough oil
Salt to taste

Method:

Grill the brinjals on a gas fire until they are well cooked.
Then remove the outer cover and take out the flesh.
In a little oil, fry the red chillies, and the coriander seeds to a golden colour and powder them with the gram dal.
Again in 2 or 3tbsps oil, toss the mustard seeds, asafotida, and curry leaves. Then add the onion and tomatoes.
Cook them until they are mashed well and the oil comes on the top.
Now add the katharikkai flesh and toss them for some minutes.
Add 1 cup or 2 cups of water, the powder, 1sp turmeric powder and enough salt.
Let it simmer until the gravy is thickened. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix well.

dev
30th November 2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks a lot Mrs.Mano... Does all these chutnies & kothsu go well with Pongal?...

dsankaran
30th November 2005, 11:33 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you for the Rawa Kitchadi recipe. I will try it soon and let you know.

- D

arrecipes
1st December 2005, 12:42 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I went out to a restaurant and tasted Fish Biryani. I want to try this at home too. Whenever u find time can u pls. post the recipe for Fish Biryani.

I think I am troubling you too much. Sorry for it. The curiosity to learn new dishes makes me to do that.

rsankar
1st December 2005, 07:58 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

I couldn't find your (white colour) maida biscuit (E. Oven) recipe. Could you please post this recipe for me.

Thanks
rsankar.

gvb
3rd December 2005, 07:40 AM
[tscii:33f88da072]Hello rsankar,
Am posting Mrs.Mano's recipe here for you

MAIDA BISCUIT:
Ingredients:
Milk -1 cup,
sugar- 1 cup
Ghee-1 cup
Maida [plain flour] - 1 1/2 cup
Wheat flour- 1/2 cup
Enough water
Enough oil to fry
Procedure:
Place the ghee and the sugar in a broad bowl and beat them with the fingers or with the help of a beater for a few minutes. Then add the milk and mix well. Then add the flours and mix well to form soft dough. If you need more flour, you can add enough plain flour to form the dough. It must be like chappathi dough. Then roll it to a chappathi with a thickness of ¼ cm. Cut it in to small squares and deep fry them in hot oil to a golden brown colour.
These can be prepared only by deep frying in hot oil.
Thank you so much for posting Maida biscuit. I tried it, it turned out really well. I used only 1/2 cup of butter, and almost 3 cups of maida to get the chappathi consistency. The end result was really good.
[/tscii:33f88da072]

rsankar
4th December 2005, 12:42 AM
Hello gvb,

thanks for your reply. could you tell me where I can find electric oven maida biscuit recipe? (White biscuit)

Thanks
rsankar.

dev
4th December 2005, 07:07 AM
rsankar,

If U r looking for the 'benne biscuit' recipe, I believe CI has posted the recipe in karnataka recipes thread... Pls chk it out...

Mrs.Mano
4th December 2005, 11:48 AM
Dear Suganthi!

Thank you very much for the appreciation. I felt glad to know that you liked the avaraikkai poriththa koottu. Thanks a lot for the feedback also.

Mrs.Mano
4th December 2005, 11:49 AM
Hello Dev!

All types of kothsu varieties and the chutney varieties go well with Idli and Dosai. Kothsu varieties go well with pongal.

Mrs.Mano
4th December 2005, 11:56 AM
Dear Mini!

Thank you very much for the compliments on my work.
Ragi dosa is prepared either with its flour or by grinding the soaked ragi. I am posting below the recipes for them. Anyhow, the ragi dosai prepared from freshly ground batter is more delicious than the dosai prepared with the ragi flour.

RAGI DOSAI-I:

Ingredients:

Ragi flour- 2 cups
Black gram- 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Wheat flour- 2 tbsp
Plain flour- 1 tbsp
Boiled rice- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the black gram, fenugreek seeds and the boiled rice in enough water for 5 hours and then grind them to a smooth batter. Mix all the flours with it adding enough salt. Add enough water to make it to dosai batter consistency. Allow the batter to ferment for 8 hours. Then you can prepare thin dosais. Without fermentation also, you can prepare dosai. But it will give a little raw taste. Instead of soaking the above ingredients, you can add black gram and rice powders. The taste will be little different.

RAGI DOSAI-II

Ingredients:

Ragi- 1 cup
Boiled rice- 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the ragi and the rice separately. Soak the black gram with the fenugreek seeds separately. Grind every thing smoothly into a batter and then combine all with enough salt and water to dosai batter consistency. Let it ferment for 8 hours.
This is the usual procedure I am following in my kitchen.

Mrs.Mano
4th December 2005, 12:01 PM
Dear arrecipes!

I will post the recipe for Fish briyani soon!

Fried rice is always prepared with the cooked rice which is already cooked with salt in enough water and drained. Here is the recipe for the egg fried rice.

EGG FRIED RICE:

Ingredients:

Raw rice [which is cooked to its 3/4th with enough salt and drained] - 2 cups
Carrot [chopped finely] - 1/2 cup
Beans [chopped finely] - 1/2 cup
Frozen peas- 1/2 cup
Capsicum juliennes- 2 tbsp
Sliced onions- 1/2 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Eggs- 3
Sugar- 1 tsp
Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
Ajinomoto- 1/2 tsp
Soya sauce- 1 tbsp
Spring onion [chopped finely] - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsps

Procedure:

Beat the eggs well. Heat a wok and pour the oil. Add the sliced onions and fry well. Then add the pastes and fry them for a few minutes. Then add the carrot, beans and peas with a little salt. Fry them until they are cooked. Add the capsicum and fry for a few seconds. Add the beaten eggs and fry well until they are finely scrambled. Then add the cooked rice and fry for a few minutes. Now add the soya sauce, pepper powder, sugar and the ajinomoto. Mix well for a few seconds. Then add the spring onion and mix it with the rice for a few seconds. Put off the fire.

Mrs.Mano
4th December 2005, 12:03 PM
Hello 6thsense!

Thank you very much for the appreciation on my work and me. This kind of support always makes me energetic to post more and more delicious recipes.

Mrs.Mano
Hello rain!

Thanks a lot for the well wishes and the compliments.

Mrs.Mano
[tscii:577ebf6c59]Dear Hulda!

Thank you very much for the appreciation as well as the feedback on tomato thokku. I will soon post the recipe for ‘pressure cook briyani’.
[/tscii:577ebf6c59]

Mrs.Mano
4th December 2005, 12:05 PM
[tscii:2d01934a96]Dear Deviraja!

Thank you very much for the appreciation on my work. Here are the links for most of my recipes.
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/Tamilnadu_delicacies.doc
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/corrected_recipes_of_Mrs_Mano.doc

What are in the responses that were posted on August 2004? I couldn’t attach it here.

[/tscii:2d01934a96]

minir
4th December 2005, 01:14 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Thanks a lot for the Ragi Dosa recipes.I will definitely try it out.I guess I made dosas just with Ragi flour that is why It was very dry and difficult to spread the batter...I also wanted to ask you something regarding the arusuvai website.I don't know tamil :oops: ..so is there any way I can get access to all your delicious recipes in the website.Kindly help me out.I would love to try out the recipes in the website..

RedPepper
5th December 2005, 09:32 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano

Is there anything I can substitute for milk powder in your carrot halwa recipe?

Thanks in advance.

rajshank
7th December 2005, 05:15 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Is there anything interesting that i can make with leftover Idli Maavu....What i do is make idlis the first day and Dosas the second day...after that it gets boring to eat the sameold thing....Can u please tell us something that can be easily made with leftover idli/dosa batter...

One interesting tip for fellow hubbers....what i do is that when i am making dosas for kids visiting us, i make it in the shape of a mickey mouse....wondering how?? simple...make a small round...that makes the face, and 2 small rounds on the top sides, that make mickey's ears....then just make nose and mouth with tomato chutney or tomato ketchup if the kids like it. And i use pieces of tomato, in case it is Oothappam...
Kids who make a big fuss eating Indian food...will just love it...I have all my relative's tell me that their kids want the mickey mouse dosa "all the time" :D

Do try that...it works wonders...and u'll not only be a super Mom...but also a popular Aunty!!! :)

Rajshank

arrecipes
9th December 2005, 07:55 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I would like to try Ulundu dosai and i have made the batter too, then i was surprised whether to make the dosa thin or thick using the batter. Can we make idli using the same batter?

arrecipes

Mrs.Mano
10th December 2005, 12:48 AM
[tscii:23cd629b9c]Dear arrecipes!

You can make slightly thick dosai and thin dosai also. I haven’t tried it for making idli. You can test it with a little batter.
I think that you haven’t noticed the recipe of Egg fried rice which I have posted a few days back for you.
Here I am again posting the recipe’Fish briyani’ as per your request.

FISH BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

Briyani Rice- 1 kg
Fish pieces- 1 kilo [vanjiram or koduva varieties are suitable for the briyani.]
Sliced onion- 3 cups
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Green chillies-15
Ginger paste- 2 tbsp
Garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Cardamom-5
Cinnamon pieces- 5
Cloves-6
Lime- 1
Chopped mint leaves- 1 cup
Chopped coriander leaves- 2 cups
Shredded coconut- 3 cups
Yogurt- 1 cup
Ghee- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Grind the following in to a paste:
Chilli powder- 3 tsp
Fennel seeds- 2 tsp
Coconut powder- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp+ 1/2 tsp
Small onions- a handful
Shredded ginger- 1 tbsp
Garlic flakes-8

Procedure:

Extract thick coconut milk from the coconut. Wash and clean the fish pieces. Marinate them with the ground paste for 30 minutes. Then fry them in enough oil to golden brown color and keep them away in a kitchen towel.

Heat a broad vessel and pour the ghee. Add the onions with the green chillies and fry them until the onion turns into pale brown. Add the tomatoes with the pastes and the remaining turmeric powder. Fry them well until the oil floats on the surface. Add the greens and the yogurt and fry them for a few minutes. Powder the spices coarsely and add them and the lemon juice to the masala. Fry well. Add the coconut milk with enough water. Add the rice with enough salt. The rice and the water ratio must be 1: 1 ¾. When the rice is cooked to its ¾th and all the water is evaporated, place the fish pieces on top, pour a little ghee around the corners and cook the briyani in ‘Dhum’ for 20 minutes.

[/tscii:23cd629b9c]

Mrs.Mano
10th December 2005, 12:53 AM
Hello Redpepper!

You can substitute thickened milk in the Carrot Halwa recipe.

arrecipes
13th December 2005, 05:40 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I missed the egg fried rice recipe and i will try and let u know the result. We had a get together this weekend and I made Fish Biryani and it was very delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Kz
14th December 2005, 09:44 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I tried ur chettinadchicken varuval recipe and it was great. wanted to know if it should be dry or like gravy? i added little water and made it like gravy and it was great. thankyou.
Kz

Mrs.Mano
14th December 2005, 11:07 PM
[tscii:17c8ba0149]Dear Hulda!

Here is the recipe for ‘Pressure cook briyani’ for you!

PRESSURE COOK BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

Potato [diced] - 1 cup
Beans [cut into medium pieces] - 1 cup
Carrot [cubed] - 1 cup
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Crushed tomato- 1 cup
Basmathi rice- 2 cups
Water- 1 1/2 cup
Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
Lemon juice- 2 tsps
Ghee- 1/4cup
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander-1/2 cup
Chopped mint leaves- 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Powder coarsely the following ingredients:
Cardamom-2
Cloves-2
Cinnamon- 1 big piece
Grind the following ingredients to a coarse paste:
Fennel seeds- 1/2tsp
Crushed ginger- 1 tsp
Garlic flakes- 8
Green chillies-3

Procedure:

Heat a vessel and pour the ghee. Add the coarse powder and fry for a few seconds. Add the onion and fry it until it turns into golden brown colour. Add the ground paste with the turmeric powder and fry them for a few minutes. Add the vegetables with the tomatoes and fry them well with enough salt until they are half-cooked. Add the greens with the coconut milk, water, rice and enough salt. Pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles and then cook for 5 minutes on slow fire.

[/tscii:17c8ba0149]

Mrs.Mano
14th December 2005, 11:11 PM
[tscii:b3fc2d6951]Dear Rajshank!

We can prepare so many dishes with the idli batter. I have already posted a recipe named ‘Venthaya idli” using the idli batter. Here are a few recipes for you.

BREAD TOAST WITH IDLI BATTER:

Ingredients:

bread slices-6 to 8
Idli batter- 3 cups
Finely chopped onion-1
Finely chopped green chillies-1 tsp
Finely chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Crushed chilli powder or idli powder-2 tsp
Red chili chutney or mint chutney
Butter

Procedure;

Add the chopped onion, green chillies, coriander leaves and the powder to the idli batter and mix well. Heat the dosaikkal. Spread a little butter on one side of a bread slice. On the same side, spread evenly the chutney to a thin layer. Dip careful the bread slice into the batter and place on the hot tawa. Cook on both sides. Finish all the slices like this.

PANIYARAM WITH THE IDLI BATTER:

Ingredients:

idli batter- 2 cups
Plain flour- 1/4 CUP
Chopped onion-1/4 cup
Chopped green chillies-2tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Asafetida powder- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Soda bi carbonate
Shredded coconut- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsps
Enough oil to cook the paniyarams

Procedure:

Heat a small pan and pour the gingelly oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the cumin seeds and black gram with the asafetida powder. Fry for a few seconds and then add the onion with the green chillies and the coriander leaves. Fry well and add this to the idli batter. Add the plain flour with a pinch of salt, soda bi carbonate and the cococnut and mix well. Make paniyarams with this batter on hot paniyara kal.

[/tscii:b3fc2d6951]

Mrs.Mano
14th December 2005, 11:11 PM
Hello KZ!

It must be like a thickened gravy. Thanks a lot for the feedback also.

arrecipes
15th December 2005, 06:36 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried egg fried rice today. It turned out to be a delicious one. Thanks for helping us with ur wonderful recipes.

Kz
15th December 2005, 08:22 PM
Thankyou Mrs.Mano.

Kz

huldaashok
16th December 2005, 06:16 AM
Thank you Mrs. Mano for the recipe of the "Pressure cooker" biryani.

Regards,
Hulda

gayesh
17th December 2005, 11:14 AM
8-)
dear mrs.mano,

can u give me the recipe for fluffy,crisp, restaurant-style puris and chola puris?
thanks,
gayesh

rajshank
20th December 2005, 06:20 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thankyou very much for the "leftover idli batter" recipies...I made Bread toast with idli batter this weekend...and it turned out yummy...We had a few friends over and they loved it too...I wonder how you manage to create such wonderful variations. Hats off to you. Thankyou very much once again and also special thanks on my husbands behalf too!!! :)

Rajshank

chamy
22nd December 2005, 07:57 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
I just want to thank u for all the recipes.Its ur recipes that invoked me interest in cooking.Iam making good briyanis and pulaos nowdays.Some of my favorite recipes r Mint pulao, Mint chutney (attagasam !!),mushroom briyani,chettinadu potato gravy,white kurma,chowchow kootu,sakarai pongal,rawa kitchadi,potato capsicum curry,vegetable omelette,cauliflower tomato curry etc.Today i made pakkakai puli kootu and it turns out to be good.Once again Thank u very much for the recipes and keep up the good work.
regards Chamy.

Thattai
22nd December 2005, 08:31 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for the avarakkai recipes. Sorry about the laaaaaaate response, but we have shifted residence and our phone line is yet to catch up with us. Even now, I have logged on from outside.

Meanwhile, I have been trying out many of your recipes - the beetroot kootu, the beans poriyal, the onion kuzhambu and many others and they have all been delicious. To the extent that if I now try some other new recipes, my husband asks me Doesn't Mrs. Mano have a version? So you have become a very well known personality in our household.

Thanks for all your recipes. Will definitely try the avarakkai recipes as soon as I can save them where I can access them. Congrats on the 100 pages milestone.

Warm regards and best wishes,

Thattai

pr
22nd December 2005, 09:27 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Hope you are doin great .could you please post the proportion of rice for preparing sevai in the traditional way .. I mean grinding the rice after soaking it , then light fry in oil , make kollukatais and then press . should we have a combination of pacha arisi and pulungal arisi or one type of rice alone is okay .. ??
Thanks and Regards
pr

kavithasenthil
22nd December 2005, 11:12 PM
hello pr,
i use both in the ratio 1:1. Soak it for 3 to 4 hrs and grind it. Fry in little oil in a kadai and make kollukattai ,steam it and press in sevai press. We call it as sandhavai.

pr
23rd December 2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks kavitha . s in kongunadu we call it sandhagai right ?? I remember u r from erode ...

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 10:57 AM
Dear gayesh!

For fluffy-crisp restaurant style puris and chola puris-
The secret lies in mixing flours, the flame and the thickness. There is no need for a particular recipe. Just add a little plain flour to the wheat flour along with salt, a little sugar and a pinch of baking powder. For example, add 3 tbsp of plain flour, 1/4 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of sugar to 2 cups of wheat flour. Make stiff dough. Keep it covered with a damp cloth for at least 1 hour. When frying the puris, the fire must be high. Do not roll the puris into a thick one. Slightly thickened puri will puff immediately when putting it in hot oil.

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 10:58 AM
[tscii:43dd1c05f0] Dear Rajshank!

I was delighted to know that your ‘bread toast with the idli batter’ turned very yummy! I really appreciate yr enthusiasm in trying new recipes! Thanks a lot for the nice feedback.

[/tscii:43dd1c05f0]

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 10:58 AM
Dear Arrecipes!

Thank you very much for the feedback on egg fried rice..

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 08:27 PM
Dear Chamy!

I felt glad to note that you have tried so many recipes of mine successfully. That is the result I want with my continuous work. Thank you very much for the nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 08:27 PM
Dear Thattai!

I always believe that every one should be helpful to others in any way they can. I have started this thread to share my knowledge in cookery with others and thus be helpful to people who love cooking. I am really happy now that my recipes make so many persons satisfied. Thanks a lot for the nice appreciation as well as the feedback on my recipes.

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 08:30 PM
Dear pr!

In villages, boiled rice is used to make idiyappams. They are also called as sandhakai and sevais. Most of the people make idiyappams with the raw rice only. Some people will soak either par boiled rice or raw rice and grind it to a fine batter. Then will add enough salt and a little oil. They will steam the batter by pouring it in to the idli moulds. Then pass them through the idiyaappam press or sevai press when they are hot. Here I am re-posting the recipe of Idiyappam for you.

IDIYAPPAM:

Soak few cups of raw rice in water for half an hour and then drain it.
Pound the rice into fine flour. Sieve the flour twice. Put this flour in a thin cloth and then put it in a bowl. Close the top with the corners of the cloth. Steam it for 15 minutes. Then place it on a cloth, allow it to cool down, break down any lumps and then again sieve it. You can keep this flour for months.
Some people will not steam the rice flour. They will fry the flour on a very low fire. When a good smell comes from the flour, it must be taken out, cooled down and again sieved.
Take 1 cup of the prepared flour in a bowl and add 1sp oil and a little salt to the flour. Boil 1 to 1/2 cups of water. When it simmers, pour it on the flour little by little and mix well with a wooden spoon. It should not be very rough dough.
You must feel flexibility and smoothness in your hand and be careful not to add much water. Put this dough in a greased idiyaappam maker and press the idiyaappams in a greased idiyaappam mould nicely. Steam them for 15 minutes.

Mrs.Mano
23rd December 2005, 08:31 PM
Dear pr!

In villages, boiled rice is used to make idiyappams. They are also called as sandhakai and sevais. Most of the people make idiyappams with the raw rice only. Some people will soak either par boiled rice or raw rice and grind it to a fine batter. Then will add enough salt and a little oil. They will steam the batter by pouring it in to the idli moulds. Then pass them through the idiyaappam press or sevai press when they are hot. Here I am re-posting the recipe of Idiyappam for you.

IDIYAPPAM:

Soak few cups of raw rice in water for half an hour and then drain it.
Pound the rice into fine flour. Sieve the flour twice. Put this flour in a thin cloth and then put it in a bowl. Close the top with the corners of the cloth. Steam it for 15 minutes. Then place it on a cloth, allow it to cool down, break down any lumps and then again sieve it. You can keep this flour for months.
Some people will not steam the rice flour. They will fry the flour on a very low fire. When a good smell comes from the flour, it must be taken out, cooled down and again sieved.
Take 1 cup of the prepared flour in a bowl and add 1sp oil and a little salt to the flour. Boil 1 to 1/2 cups of water. When it simmers, pour it on the flour little by little and mix well with a wooden spoon. It should not be very rough dough.
You must feel flexibility and smoothness in your hand and be careful not to add much water. Put this dough in a greased idiyaappam maker and press the idiyaappams in a greased idiyaappam mould nicely. Steam them for 15 minutes.

gayesh
24th December 2005, 12:06 PM
dear mrs.mano,
thanks a lot for ur puri recipe.it was really apprecaited in our home.

pls keep up the good work!!

rgds,
gayesh :)

pr
27th December 2005, 02:56 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thank u very much for your prompt reply . I have ur idiyappam recipe already in my file . It would be great if you post the proportion of raw rice and boiled rice for sevai .. Does the proportion have an impact on taste and texture ?? pls clarify me when u find time .
Thanks
Pr

gvb
28th December 2005, 08:04 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Hope you are keeping well.I made ur "Curd cucumber semiya" and it was truly delicious and refreshing to eat.

Thanks and regards
Suganthi

Pushpa
30th December 2005, 06:44 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
I have just got a bag of peanuts with their raw shell [shape of an '8' ], i think it is called nila kadalai. But how to cook it, what dishes can we make ? I just broke open a few & ate them raw, will it give stomach ache,
Waiting response,
Pushpa.

pr
30th December 2005, 10:38 PM
Dear Mrs Mano and hubbers
Wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year !!!!!!!!!
Regards
pr

Mrs.Mano
31st December 2005, 06:27 PM
I WISH ALL THE FRIENDS HERE A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

shreya23
31st December 2005, 07:04 PM
thank u & same to you
shreya

NOV
11th January 2006, 07:31 AM
Due to the huge length of this popular thread, opening it has become a problem. Thus, please continue discussions at the new thread: http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php=3ft=3d5637&start