PDA

View Full Version : Microwave cooking good or bad?

Mini
31st August 2005, 02:11 PM
Hello all,
I always have a doubt if microwave cooking causes any harm. though it saves a lot of oil, i've heard that it changes the actual properties of the veggies. is this true???

dev
31st August 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Minni,

I've read a lot of articles abt the ill-effects of microwave cooking... I am not sure how far it's true but I limit the use of microwave to reheating & roasting pappads...& sometimes for emergency cooking... the reason being,I find a difference in the taste of the dish when cooked in microwave... It might be partly coz I'm not very experienced at using microwave oven..,I sometimes feel that it's better to go back to the age old tradition of using 'viragu aduppu' & 'mann chatti'... :wink: :)

Mini
31st August 2005, 02:47 PM
that definitely tastes much better for sure.
unfortunately, we have no access to these :(
the problem is that i tried googling about this, but found just equal no of sites for the good and the bad effects.

by the way, i'm Mini not Minni

dev
31st August 2005, 02:57 PM
"hat definitely tastes much better for sure.
unfortunately, we have no access to these Sad
the problem is that i tried googling about this, but found just equal no of sites for the good and the bad effects."

Yep, That's true... The same happenes with canola oil...U can find equal no of sites for the good and the bad effects of it... I once bought tht oil & ended up throwing the whole can without even opening it after reading articles abt it... Better to be on the safer side by minimising the use of these unconcluded miseries... :wink:

Hey,sry...that was a typo...

binal142001
31st August 2005, 09:01 PM
Hi dev,
So do u think canola oil bad for health?(but i read in so many articles that its very good for health....)
if yes...
then what oil do u use for indian cooking??

Thanks

dev
31st August 2005, 09:30 PM
Hi binal,

Here r a few links that says that canola oil is hazardous...
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcanola.htm
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/canola.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2000/jan/16/dangers_canola_oil.htm

There r equal number of sites that say canola oil is not harmful... I neither say that canola oil is good nor bad... I've decided not to use it until these researchers come to a conclusion as to the use of canola oil for cooking... While there r lots of other safe to use oils like olive oil,veg oil etc,Y take the risk of using something that is this debated???!!!...

You can read thru all these sites & decide for yourself if you want to use it for your cooking or not...

deepali128
1st September 2005, 01:06 AM
Dev,

that was really scary. i am using it for years. so hish oil is good for everyday cooking. veg oil?

Deepali

Sowmya
1st September 2005, 02:16 AM
Hi all
I have been using corn oil and it's good.Found it satisfactory..

Regards
Sowmya

dev
1st September 2005, 10:11 AM
Hi deepali,

I use many diff oils for cooking...I use olive oil,veg oil,corn oil,sunflwer oul, gingelly oil,coconut oil & ghee... But the only thing is I limit the use of oil to strictly 3 tsp=1 tbsp=15ml per day per person... So I buy the smallest bottle available in the mkt coz a ltr of oil will last for months(around 3-4 months)... For south Indian cooking,I mostly use gingelly oil & very rarely coconut oil & ghee...For noth Indian cooking I use any of those listed above except for gingelly & coconut oil...I always have gigelly oil,coconut oil,ghee & any 1 of the veg,corn,sunflower oil in the kitchen...But ghee & coconut oil is to be used as minimal as possible... U can find more info abt oil in the Healthy Lifestyle thread...

Hope it helps... But, if U r looking for info abt which oil is good for deep fried indian food stuffs,I'm not the right person to answer...:)

deepali128
2nd September 2005, 12:46 AM
Dev,

thanx for the reply. but what is gingelly oil. where can i find it? can i get in american shops too?

Deepali

binal142001
2nd September 2005, 02:06 AM
Thank u dev for the info on canola oil..
I have decided I will stop using canola oil from now on.
Because u have knowledge in the health and nutrition field I want get info on readymade bottled juices(pasteurised or from concentrate or any form)

I know fresh fruit juices are the best compared to readymade juices, but I would like to know if there are any harmful effects /side effects of the readymade juices.

Thank you...

dev
2nd September 2005, 11:29 AM
Hi Deepali,

gingelly oil/til oil is called nallenai in tamil... it's extracted from sesame seeds... I don't think U'll be able to find it in american stores... the basic ingredient for gingelly oil & sesame oil is the same but there is some diff in the extraction process...

dev
2nd September 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi binal,

Bottled juices...U'll have to check the nutrition lable & ingredients before you buy it... Some brands have colouring added to it & preservatives too... Also,U should check if they have any added sugar... If they contain these,it's better to avoid it...

As such,I don't know of any side effects of bottled juices coz I've not read much about bottled drinks... So don't have much knowledge abt bottled drinks...I avoid anything that contains preservatives & food colouring as food colouring are said to be very harmful can even cause cancer in some cases...If you r very keen to know abt it,U can run a search on google & U'll get as much info as U need...Sry,I'm not of much use to U in guiding you in this regard...:)