PDA

View Full Version : Katrina disaster

gaddeswarup
2nd September 2005, 04:46 AM
I am surprised that there is very little ( as far as I have seen, none) discusion about this disaster. Apart from other things, there must be a number of Indian students and people of Indian origin in that area. From:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_world_offers_1
"With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday."
India is not in the list ( in that article) of countries that offered help. I would think that India has vast experience in dealing with natural disasters. Interestingly, Chavez of Venezula offered help and to supply gas. Bush released reserves. Still gas prices have gone up. Most of the victims I see on the TV are dark like us.
Swarup

nirosha sen
4th September 2005, 09:26 PM
Appalling that not one soul had bothered to say a few words of condolences to the bereaved and bereft!! To lose loved ones and one's worldly possessions is a mighty blow to a people known for their resilience in building up their country, and stand tall as a mighty nation.

Amazing isn't it???? When America weeps, she cries alone???? But when the rest of the world has a mere bruise in ego or a bloody nose, it's America and their giving populace that are beseeched?????

TO THE BRAVE PEOPLE OF AMERICA, MY COMMISERATION! You might bend at the knees but may you never break in spirit!!

Badri
5th September 2005, 09:52 AM
[tscii:429c36884b]I think both the comments above were made in haste, and I am deeply saddened to think Swarup or Niro would make such statements. India has time and again, risen up to the aid of her neighbours in trouble, and even to countries so far away in trouble. Perhaps India doesn't have the flamboyance that some other countries have of immediately make proclamations of aid! And given our own economic status, such an action would be foolish in the extreme. After due deliberations, India (which refused aid from various countries following her own disaster of Dec 2004 tsunami, has offered USD 5 Million and other help in disaster recovery and management.

What can we say of our plight, when our own people are willing to so quickly decry India!! :(

Please see the following statement issued by Ronen Sen, India's Ambassador to the US:

The Government and the people of India have watched with deep shock and sadness, the death and devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in the southern United States. Having ourselves experienced the tsunami tragedy last year, we can understand the sufferings of the people affected by this natural calamity. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. The people of India stand in solidarity and sympathy with them in these trying times.

The Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, and, the President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam have written to President Bush conveying their deep sympathy. External Affairs Minister K. Natwar Singh has sent a message of condolence to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Defense Minster Pranab Mukherjee has also written to Defense Secretary Rumsfeld.

We recall the very close cooperation between India and the United States, to provide succour and support to the tsunami affected countries in the Indian Ocean region. The Indian and US Navies had worked in close cooperation during that disaster, although India itself was one of the affected nations.

On July 18, 2005, President Bush and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had jointly launched the U.S.-India Disaster Relief Initiative (DRI) to strengthen cooperation to prepare for and conduct disaster relief operations and to assist in capacity building in other countries.

As a token of the support of the people and Government of India for the people and Government of the United States, India will contribute US Dollars 5 million to the American Red Cross for relief activities in those areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.

In addition, India has offered large water purification systems for household and community level operations, and to donate essential medicines that may be required. India has the largest number of pharmaceutical companies recognized by the US Food and Drug Administration in any country outside the United States.

A self-sustaining and self-supporting medical team from the Indian Army Medical Corps, including a surgeon, an anesthetist, doctors, nurses and para-medics who have had first hand experience in handling such situations, are ready to fly into the affected region in an Indian Air Force aircraft immediately, subject to U.S. clearance. The team will have its own medical equipment and stores. It is aimed to complement the efforts of U.S. organizations, will not require any additional logistic support and will not in any manner strain existing resources.

A Naval unit comprising of 8 divers and 12 salvage experts are also ready to proceed to the US as soon as required. All that is needed is the necessary clearances..

I have sent letters of sympathy and support to the Governors, Senators and Representatives of Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama and Georgia, as also the Mayor of New Orleans. I have also conveyed our admiration at the remarkable support and succour extended by the State of Texas to the vast numbers of those who survived this terrible tragedy who have found shelter in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.”[/tscii:429c36884b]

gaddeswarup
5th September 2005, 01:39 PM
Sri Badri,
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. You may be right in saying that I posted my message in haste but at that time it was more of puzzlement. I seem to have mixed up the postings on this site with the Indian Govt.'s response. I think that there some posts about London bombings soon after the bombings. It was expected (in the current issue) that Indian Govt. would respond at some stage. I thought that in a crisis immediate condolences and sympathy usually come first. Such things might have been done and I might have missed them. I visited about six Indian sites ( mostly telugu) and was surprised that there was no mention of the disaster. Later, I saw in newspapers that TANA and FDRI started raising funds.

Expressions of puzzlement or criticism are not the same as decrying a country, I think. Even though, the country of origin has a strong hold on one, one has spent years in other countries ( I am actually an Australian citizen now) and one probably looks more critically at different countries. I think there have been criticisms of USA as well as some comments about uncritical appreciation of India's past in this forum. Most of us, in informal forums, make comments which may not come from deep knowledge of issues, and hope to benefit from others' insights to get a quick balanced understanding of the situation. This is mainly to save time ; I for example found Sri Aravindha's comments very helpful. My comments were made in the spirit of ignorance and enquiry rather than decrying any country.

Regards,
Swarup

Sandeep
6th September 2005, 01:02 PM
Its not the condolenses of Govts or offers of help that actually count.

I was in US when Tsunami hit asia. People I have not even spoken to before came to me asking if everyone back home was fine. There was genuine consern among the populance.

But in case of Katrina seeing the Indian and even international news papers we can a see a kind of "celebration" of American's failure with regard to Katrina recovery operation.

pavalamani pragasam
6th September 2005, 05:11 PM
A forwarded message:
I couldn't' stop making this comparison..

inches of rain in new orleans due to hurricane katrina... 18
inches of rain in mumbai (July 27th).... 37.1

population of new orleans... 484,674
population of mumbai.... 12,622,500

deaths in new orleans within 48 hours of katrina...100
deaths in mumbai within 48hours of rain.. 37.

number of people to be evacuated in new orleans... entire city..wohh
number of people evacuated in mumbai...10,000

Cases of shooting and violence in new orleans...Countless
Cases of shooting and violence in mumbai.. NONE

Time taken for US army to reach new orleans... 48hours
Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach mumbai...12hours

status 48hours later...new orleans is still waiting for relief, army and
electricty
status 48hours later..mumbai is back on its feet and is business is as
usual

USA...world's most developed nation
India...JUST A DEVELOPING NATION..

oopss...did i get the last fact wrong??? Or am I just being proud of being
an INDIAN?

scorpio
6th September 2005, 05:26 PM
PP ma'm,

Good one :-) OOps, I just couldn't resist though it is bit off-topic..

Sandeep
6th September 2005, 07:04 PM
A forwarded message:
I couldn't' stop making this comparison..

No doubt US response has been pathetic and yes we have done far better.

Some points to notice

population of new orleans... 484,674
population of mumbai.... 12,622,500

deaths in new orleans within 48 hours of katrina...100
deaths in mumbai within 48hours of rain.. 37.

number of people to be evacuated in new orleans... entire city..wohh
number of people evacuated in mumbai...10,000

New Orleans has been rebuild 4 times previously because of Hurricane

Cases of shooting and violence in new orleans...Countless
Cases of shooting and violence in mumbai.. NONE

In a country where school shootings are a daily occurance is this a surprise

Time taken for US army to reach new orleans... 48hours
Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach mumbai...12hours

US army must have had to come from Iraq :lol: While our just had to come from Kashmir. 8)

USA...world's most developed nation
India...JUST A DEVELOPING NATION..

USA ... Past
India ... Future

But having said that we need to realise the following

1) Mumbai the Financial capital of India. New Orleans a party city
2) Mumbai the affected include the most afluent (so naturally relief is faster), New Orleans affected the most underpriveledged
3) Mumbai has India's biggest navel base, New Orleans has non nearby
4) New orleans is below see level and that makes hell of a difference
5) India has a very efficient PM while US has Bush :lol:

dev
6th September 2005, 07:38 PM
5) India has a very efficient PM while US has Bush

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

rajraj
7th September 2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2005/09/07/stories/2005090702811000.htm

I have never seen such a sluggish response from the US government. The author is right about what he says. In 1972 my house was flooded due to Agnes and the response was amazing. May be, because it was closer to Washington,D.C.

If you want to know how to help or donate cash or other needed items visit
www.redcross.org

gaddeswarup
8th September 2005, 04:20 AM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/050907/21/vu2a.html

Butler accuses US of stifling poverty reduction
The former Australian ambassador to the United Nations, Richard Butler, says the United States is deliberately trying to stymie the elimination of global poverty.

World leaders will meet in New York in a week's time to review progress towards the Millennium Development Goals which aim to free the world of extreme poverty.

But the US has proposed 750 amendments to the draft declarations on the goals.

Mr Butler, who chaired a world leaders summit on poverty at the UN 10 years ago, says American intentions are clear.

"The terrorist who tried to bring that declaration down was actually then the Government of Syria," Mr Butler said.

"Ten years later, the terrorist trying to bring the declaration down is the Government of the United States."
Richard Butler is considered a bit of loose canon and I do not understand the reference to Syria. But there are similar reports about USA trying to undermine UN efforts with Millinium Development Goals, Global Warming etc. :
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0908/p09s02-coop.html
It is strange that even now when at least 90 countries, many of them poor, are offering to help USA in its hour of need, USA is refusing to take a more long term and compassionate attitude.
Swarup

Surya
8th September 2005, 05:37 AM
New Orleans was the Murder Capital, and now 30% of the Police Force have resigned. The Mayor has asked the people to get the hell out of there. Gas prices have sky rocketted. Boy am I glad I live in Cali. :|

Surya
8th September 2005, 05:47 AM
I have never seen such a sluggish response from the US government.

The responce would have been infinatly faster if this had occured in the Bible belt regions (Mainly other parts of the south, where the poppulation is mainly White, Constervative, and Xtian.) Because those are the main Bush Supporters. A discription of a Bush Supporter is stero-typically White, Conservative, Xtian.

A good chunk of those people come form the Bible belt regions. But New Orleans doesn't hold many Republicans, even though it is located in the bible belt. The dominating population there are
African Americans. Most ppl there don't even vote. That's why the Bush govt is moving sluggisly on this issue. They're not taking it as serious as they should because this isn't happening to their voters. :evil:

In a country where school shootings are a daily occurance is this a surprise.

Welcome Back! :D How's Singapore? :)

Although "Daily Occurence" might be pushing it, it does happen often. But NO is different, it's known for it's Violent Crime, and the Traffic of Drugs. Espicially during Mardi Gras.

rajraj
8th September 2005, 09:32 AM
On aid from other countries:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/000200509070301.htm

Sandeep
8th September 2005, 09:39 AM
Why no blaim is going to Lusiana govt.

In India the most blaim goes to the state government during natural disasters. Then in US which gives more powers to states shouldnt the state government own up. Or is it like Bush Is the pet basher.

Is Lusiana govt democratic or republican?

And Yes Singapore is really fantastic! Enjoying.

Surya
8th September 2005, 11:54 PM
Louisiana was republican the last time I checked. But the ppl of New Orleans are not. Like I said, the most of them don't even vote, the ones that do tend to be democrates.

State vs Central?
Still the Lousiana Govt would have acted more responcilbly if some of the White/Conservative/Republican neighborhoods had been affected. I think that both State and Central are guilty in this issue.

rajraj
9th September 2005, 01:02 AM
In a disaster of this magnitude, it is the federal government that steps in to help. The states are not equipped to handle such disasters.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-07-katrina-responsibilities_x.htm

Surya
9th September 2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks Rajraj. :D

And where will the poor people go if the Federal Govt is being bias because of the demographics of the city? :cry:

gaddeswarup
9th September 2005, 04:15 AM
Surya said:

Louisiana was republican the last time I checked.

The governor Kathleen Blanco is a Democrat and she defeated Bobby Jindal (of Indian origin) in the last election. Boby Jindal is now a congressman. I think Mississipi and Alabama have Republican governors. One of the TV reports mentioned that the difference in political affiliations may have caused some problems in establishing good contacts between state and federal establishments earlier.
Swarup

r_kk
9th September 2005, 05:11 PM
A forwarded message:
I couldn't' stop making this comparison.

an INDIAN?

ground level above sea in new orleans : -0.3 to -3m
ground level above sea in Mumbai : +10 to 15m

Mumbai was hit by only rain
New orlanes was hit by hurricane and rain

Any one with some basic knowledge about the vulnerability of drainage system when the city is below sea level, can understand the level of disaster in New orelanes.

We can't take the natural adavnatage of Mumbai over New orelanes and any proud of being great indian is unjustifiable!!!

alwarpet_andavan
9th September 2005, 06:19 PM
http://jackofall.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina.html

http://soonapaana.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina-hows-whys-and-what-might-have.html

nirosha sen
10th September 2005, 06:07 AM
I'm curious abt something????? I haven't seen a single Indian face througout CNN's coverage of the disaster????? Don't Indian NRIs live out there????

gaddeswarup
10th September 2005, 07:39 AM
Nirosha sen wrote:

I haven't seen a single Indian face througout CNN's coverage of the disaster????? Don't Indian NRIs live out there????

I am sure that there are lot of NRIs. About half the motels in the south are owned by people of Indian origin, I heard. There are also many students. I think that most of the people we saw are poor and helpless. It seems that one in six does not have a car. I saw in Telugu site an announcement of a Telugu movie on that Sunday in that area. Here is an URL to a moving account by a doctor of Indian origin, Hemant Vankawala, who participated in the rescue efforts:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4836926

a.ratchasi
10th September 2005, 09:11 AM
an INDIAN?

It is sad to note that the sufferings of one is used evaluate the greatness of the other.

dr#
19th September 2005, 12:12 PM
the one good thing to have come out of this is that the us media has started to come out of its shell, and ask searching questions of the government. this i suppose has got george bush off his ass, accepting responsibility for the mess up, and actually doing something for the affected population.

if not of the people and by the people, maybe this govt can be for the people and not for the corporations for a change!

dr#
19th September 2005, 12:12 PM
the one good thing to have come out of this is that the us media has started to come out of its shell, and ask searching questions of the government. this i suppose has got george bush off his ass, accepting responsibility for the mess up, and actually doing something for the affected population.

if not of the people and by the people, maybe this govt can be for the people and not for the corporations for a change!

gaddeswarup
19th September 2005, 12:53 PM
dr# wrote:

http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=21843
"In fact, with Congress already making a $62 billion initial down payment on post-Katrina reconstruction work, the Bush administration has just given out its first 6 reconstruction contracts, five of them -- could anyone be surprised -- to Iraqi reconstructors, including Fluor. Small world indeed. The Bush version of crony capitalism should perhaps be termed predatory capitalism, following as it does so closely in the wake of war and natural disaster much as camp followers used to trail armies, ready, in case of victory, to loot the baggage train of the enemy."
Swarup

dr#
22nd September 2005, 05:44 AM
shameless

you forgot to mention halliburton......i'm sure they'll make a killing out of this.

gaddeswarup
22nd September 2005, 01:59 PM
I am beginning to feel that Sri Badri was right and I was hasty. Poor countries go to help and it seems to be business as usual in the US.
Swarup

dev
23rd September 2005, 06:14 PM
I am wondering Y the highway that goes towards Houston is not open for outbound traffic even after so many ppl r struck in the traffic for hours... :? The inbound traffic is very very minimal...There is no point in keeping it exclusively for inbound traffic even in case of such an emergency...

ssanjinika
24th September 2005, 01:18 AM
I am wondering Y the highway that goes towards Houston is not open for outbound traffic even after so many ppl r struck in the traffic for hours... :? The inbound traffic is very very minimal...There is no point in keeping it exclusively for inbound traffic even in case of such an emergency...

I think you got it the other way around.The I-45 outbound is open as they are trying to evacuate ppl.While they are restricting inbound traffic as they dont want anyone coming into houston.Not with Rita on its way.

rajraj
24th September 2005, 01:18 AM

One reason is to get help to the location on the other side in case of accidents and other emergencies such as disabled vehicles and health emergencies.

stranger
24th September 2005, 04:02 AM
Bus carrying elderly evacuees burns; 24 dead :(

Fire engulfs vehicle carrying elderly from Houston area nursing home

DALLAS - The flight from the danger posed by Hurricane Rita turned deadly early Friday as a bus filled with elderly evacuees from the Houston area burst into flames on traffic-packed Interstate 45, leaving as many as 24 people dead, according to local officials.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9449949

dev
24th September 2005, 08:16 AM

I think you got it the other way around.The I-45 outbound is open as they are trying to evacuate ppl.While they are restricting inbound traffic as they dont want anyone coming into houston.Not with Rita on its way.

My que was why not open the other highway that is for inbound traffic also for oubound traffic, leaving just 1 lane for inbound traffic so that evacuation can be speedened up...

Nerd
27th September 2005, 02:58 AM
They did open the I-45 south for outbound traffic on thursday around 12 pm. They were concerned about two things:

- Some people were literally flying on the freeway to take their family out of houston. I mean those who were not at houston at that time, drove to houston to take their families to a safer place.

- I saw many cars getting stalled on the roads and in the HOV lane. So they used that inbound freeway to clear up those vehicles.

That was a total mess. It took me 24 hrs to reach dallas which is 240 miles away from Houston. Families with kids suffered a lot. There was no gas anywhere and if u are lucky to find a gas station with gas, u gotto wait for atleast 90 mins.

After they opened the I-45s for outbound traffic everything went easy. Before that I covered 45 miles in 17 hours and I m not kidding.

After all this mess, there were just isolated showers in houston and am looking for a nice wall to :banghead:

Nerd
27th September 2005, 03:05 AM
btw, it was fun in two ways:

- It was fun to drive towards north in a southbound freeway, wherein u wont see any road signs :lol: everything will be facing towards the opposite side.

- Just generally come out of the car and walk around for sometime, yes in the freeway :lol: