PDA

View Full Version : Sesame seeds

RedPepper
4th September 2005, 03:12 AM
I have a big quantity of both white & black sesame seeds. Can anyone give me a recipe for ellunda - a sesame seed and brown sugar sweet? Any other recipes using sesame seeds are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

R
4th September 2005, 06:17 AM
Hello redpepper,

Simple ellu urundai can be prepared by frying ellu in the dry vanali(a cup) and when it starts spluttering, keep aside. Once cold, grind it with 1/4 cup of vellam; if you need more sweet, can add 1/4 more cup of jaggery. After that you can take directly with a spoon or make balls. We can also use this for making kozhukattai.

Another is like how we make kadala urundai, substitute the whole ellu and make balls.

Can prepare ellu polis which have given in SUN TV thread. Similarly, check for ellu sambal/chutney & ellu milagai podi.

Simple version of ellu sadham you can prepare just like coconut rice. Instead of coconut, you are substituting with ellu. Even for coconut rice, take a handful of black ellu and fry it till the smell comes and put it on the rice. You will notice a very good smell from the regular coconut rice.

Rgds.

Mini
4th September 2005, 12:05 PM
hello,
this is how i make ellodarai.
in a pan, heat some oil, add some mustard seeds, allow to splutter. add a good amount of urid dal, a little channa dal, red chillies, fry till the lentils r golden brown. keep them aside. in the same pan, put ellu(quantity shud b larger than the urid dal), fry till brown. take it off the pan. add some dessicated coconut and fry till brown. let them cool, grind into a coarse powder.

to the cooked rice, add some gingelly oil and let it cool, so that the rice doesnt stick to each other. put it the powder and salt and mix.

the aroma will fill in the house and everybody wud have started feeling hungry already.

this goes very well with raitha and vadams or appalams
u can adjust the ingredients, i havent given measuremnts, coz, the taste varies between every two individuals.
if u do happen to try this, gimme a feedback.

dev
5th September 2005, 09:37 AM
Which ellu should be used for ellu urundai & ellodarai?... white or black?...

R
5th September 2005, 03:15 PM
For making ellu urundai (grinding ellu with vellam), I prefer to use white ellu and for preparing like kadala urundai style ellu urundai, my mother prepares with black.

A general opinion is that black gives better flavor than the white!

RedPepper
5th September 2005, 07:12 PM
Thank you for the recipes.

Thank you Dev. That was the question I wanted to ask when I first read those recipes, but didn't have time to type it. I thought I would do it later, but you asked it.

Can we substitute white sesame seeds for black, and black for white? Does it matter?

Miami
26th September 2005, 06:44 AM
To make ellurundai, wash the ellu first, let it dry in sun or in a hot oven. Take care not to dry it completely , but leave a little moisture in it. Then dry roast it in a pan and grind it. The aroma will come out very well. When you fry totally dry ellu and grind it, the aroma isn't as good.