PDA

View Full Version : Sprouts Recipes Please !

chamy
12th September 2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Everybody !
I think u all know abt the nutritional value of sprouts .It will be more helpful if somebody post recipes using sprouts.Thanks in advance.
regards foodlover.

rain
12th September 2005, 11:06 PM
[tscii:16f115af51]hello chamy,
here's an easy sprout recipe i had tried.it was quite nice.
sprouts curry karnataka style
-------------------------------------
1 cup sprouted moong dal
1 green chilli
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
3-4 pinches asafoetida
1/2 tsp. mustard seed & cumin seed each
2 tbsp. ghee
salt to taste
1/2 cup tamarind (imli) extract

Make paste of:
1/2 fresh coconut (1 cup grated)
1" piece ginger
Roasted together for paste:
1 tsp. coriander seeds
3 dry whole red chillies
1/2 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds

Add water to sprouts until covered. Add salt and whole green chilli. Boil and simmer, covered, till sprouts are tender. Heat ghee in a heavy pan, add cumin and mustard seeds. Allow to splutter, add curry leaves and asafoetida. Stir, add paste, stir, add tamarind extract, bring to a boil. Add sprouts. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. serve hot

i believe u can also make pesarattu using moong sprouts instead of soaked moong dal.

cheers
rain

[/tscii:16f115af51]

Badri
13th September 2005, 06:36 AM
but how much of the nutrional value would still remain if the whole thing is cooked? I was under the impression that eating sprouts as is, like in a salad, was more healthy than eating it cooked.

Anyway, if you are interested in eating it raw, the you could add a dash of lemon juice and salt, and let it sit for a while - 30 mins or so. You'd love the taste!

pavalamani pragasam
13th September 2005, 07:37 AM
Adding sprouts to pulao/briyani makes them tastier & and more nutritious. They make very great gravies for chappathi added along with potatoes & tomatoes. These 2 are yummy ways of including sprouts in the diet of those who hate sprouts!

Mini
13th September 2005, 05:14 PM
moong dal sprouts can b used to amke pesarattu

R
13th September 2005, 05:49 PM
Badri, you are right abt loosing nutrition once the sprouts gets cooked. At the worst case, can steam them for few mts in that way, it will not loose the entire nutrition!

foodlover, you can substitute wherever you add channa or rajma or whole moong etc. with the sprouted ones for side dishes or parata or for sundals or even for rice(sprouted moong rice with our regular gravy).

for salads, as per badri's suggestion, follow and include cut onion, tomato with salt and optl. veggies are cucumber, peanuts(will go on..). Every time, keep changing the veggies and omit peanut, instead add cooked macaroni, like this the variations goes on....

rain
13th September 2005, 06:55 PM
sprouting is actually said to increase the nutritional value of the seed but there are concerns also like contamination in the process.steaming/boiling(can avoid frying) can reduce this possibility.

one can have cooked sprouts as side dish to dal and rice or teamed with paneer as curry for chapatis so that the nutritional defecit may be compensated.

regards,
rain

chamy
14th September 2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks everybody for the information.
R ! u mean that i can use sprouted ones in any gravies.like sprouted rajma for rajma curry,sprouted channa for channa masala?will the taste be the same?Thanks
regards foodlover

pavalamani pragasam
14th September 2005, 07:19 AM
Mixed sprouts are wonderful. In fresh stocks local shops we can buy them assorted!

R
14th September 2005, 05:44 PM
Foodlover, tried making sprouts with black channa, whole moong, green/white peas & chowly; so, no idea about sprouted rajma.

With the above sprouted grains, yes, it was good. At times, I tasted the milder bitterness in whole moong; when mixed with gravy or rice, did not find much difference and personally, love them.

FYI, I also posted sprouted navadhaniya dosa under SUN TV thread which was already experimented by me. And, for kids, you can even try sprouted whole moong or sprouted black channa vada.

Can even prepare sprouts from ragi.

chamy
16th September 2005, 02:45 AM
Dear R !
Thanks for the prompt reply.i made pesarattu using moong sprouts.but it was bitter.The look and smell were great.i was little bit upset.i heard lot of good things abt sprouts.so some how i want to incorporate it in my diet.Help me with some recipes.Thanks in advance.
Regards foodlover.

R
16th September 2005, 03:04 AM
Try adding little rice too becoz, long time back, prepared whole moong dosa using plain moong(no rice) and the taste was not at all good sadly; but, recently made dosa with raw rice & sprouted channa and it was quite decent!!

One more recipe called sprouted moong parata which tried and liked by us, will post for you shortly.

Sowmya
16th September 2005, 06:27 AM
Hi foodlover
Found this recipe on bawarchi.com.Yet to give it a try,looks yummy though so I am posting the same.

Sprout Moong Pulao
ingredients
1 cup rice, washed and soaked for 30 mins.
1 cup sprout moong
2 bayleaves
2 green chillies, slitted
4 black pepper
2 tbsp oil
3 cups water
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
5-6 curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to taste

Make Paste of:

1 cup coriander leaves
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
1/2" ginger
1/2 tsp amchoor powder

Heat oil in a cooker

Add mustard seeds, when splutter add bayleaves, chillies, leaves and pepper

Add sprout moong and turmeric powder

Simmer for 5 minutes

Add rice, salt and water

Let it cook till rice is almost 1/2 done

Add the paste and let it cook till rice is done

Serve hot with any vegetable curry

dev
16th September 2005, 06:59 AM
I make sprout moong kuzhambu... It's the same as we make usual curries... heat oil in a pan...add some dry chillies, baby onions(abt 8-10 cut into 2 pieces),channa dhal(optional) & fry a bit...then add cori seeds(3 sps),cumin seeds(1 -1 1/2 spns),a fewpepper corns(4-5) & fry until u get a nice aroma...then add a few tomato pieces(1/2 tomato or to taste) & soya flakes(or soya chunks cooked & grind a bit to make flakes) or coconut & fry for a min...grind this along with some curry leaves,tamarind,turmeric & salt... Add this to the sprouts(100 gms before sprouting) & cook until done...add water,salt & chilli powder as req... season with mustard seeds in 1/2 tsp coconut oil & garnish with cori leaves... The sprouts shouldn't become soft...meaning cook only until the sprouts are 1/2 to 3/4 done...depends on how U would like to have it...

U can make this curry thick or thin as u wish by varying the quantity of channa dhal & coconut/soya... This goes very well with dosa/idly & rice...

Measurement of ingrediens are to ur taste...can make it spicier by varying the measure of cori seeds,cumin & chillies...

rain
16th September 2005, 09:42 PM
hi dev,

ur sprouts recipe sounds yummy. i would like to have it with rice. do u think cooked diced potato instead of soy can also be put in this sprouts recipe? Anyway,will try it sometime & let you know.
regards,
rain

chamy
17th September 2005, 04:39 AM
Hi Sowmya and Dev !
Thanks for the recipe.Regards Foodlover.

dev
17th September 2005, 02:08 PM
hi dev,

ur sprouts recipe sounds yummy. i would like to have it with rice. do u think cooked diced potato instead of soy can also be put in this sprouts recipe?
regards,
rain

Rain,I've never tried it that way... I feel that adding potatoes will make the curry heavy coz of the carb content in both potatoes & dhal...

If U want to avoid soya,u can add some soaked yellow moong dhal(1 or 2 tbsp)-cooked & mashed to thicken the gravy... This changes the taste a bit but quiet good...or roasted channa dhal powder mixed with a little milk can also be added at the end to thicken it...I've not tried this...U can give it a try if u want to...:)

R
17th September 2005, 04:27 PM
Hi foodlover,

Here is the recipe for sprouted moong parata.

Sprouted moong 1 cup
onion cut finely 2 tbsp
wheat flour 1/2 cup
jeera 1 tbsp
green chillies 1
coriander leaves little
lemon juice, chilli powder each 1 tsp
oil & salt.

Mix flour, oil, salt with enough of water & knead.

Heat oil, add jeera, cut onion, chillies, moong, saute till the moong is slightly cooked. A couple of mts before you switch off the fire, add chilli powder & salt, mix well. When cold, run them in mixie a round(shd be very coarse) and add juice, leaves, mix well.

Stuff the above in the roti and start making parata.

Or otherwise, prepare this mixture and mix them with the wheat flour well. Add water, if necessary.

Similarly, prepare with sprouted channa also.

p.s.: Recently, watched sprout pulav which am yet to try, FYI.

R
17th September 2005, 04:32 PM
When you prepare mixed vegetable raitha, steam cook a handful of sprouts as mentioned earlier. Mix them with the veggie raitha and it tastes really nice which tried personally.

Taking raw veggie is little boring, but, when you combine with curd, will take more and more.

Sowmya
1st October 2005, 04:35 AM
Hi Dev
Prepared "sprouts kuzhambu" and the taste was amazing. A recipe to be cherished. :thumbsup:
Do post more such recipes..

Regards
Sowmya :D

dev
1st October 2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks Sowmya... I'm happy that U liked it so much... It's actually my husband's recipe...I 'suttufied' from him to post it in the hub... :lol:

dev
1st October 2005, 04:06 PM
Here's the recipe for sprout & carrot salad...This is just a variation of Karnataka's famous salad 'Kosambari'...

Sprout green moong dhal- 1 handful or less
Carrots-2 medium sized(shredded)
Salad cucumber-1/2(shredded)
Lemon-to taste
Coriander leaves-a few(chopped)
Green chillies(chopped) or chilli powder-to taste
Salt- to taste

Mix all the above & serve it a bit cool... Sprouts can be added to taste... Depends on how much of the 'thuvarpu' taste u can stand...

Variation: Can add yellow moong dhal (soaked overnight) instead of sprouts...

Sowmya
3rd October 2005, 04:25 AM
Hi Dev
Good to know that your husband is a health advisor/expert .Do keep sprinkling some tips and advice now and then. :D
Regards
Sowmya

RedPepper
14th November 2005, 03:30 AM
[tscii:22be55a133]Something I just made:

Sprout with cabbage.

Coarsely shred the cabbage. (1/3rd of a medium size cabbage)
Crush some garlic and ginger, about 1 tsp
Slice a small onion.
Cook the moong sprout (about 1 cup) in the microwave with some salt and little water for 3 minutes.
Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions until translucent. Add some crushed red pepper or green chillies, ginger and garlic. Cook for one minute and add the shredded cabbage, turmeric powder and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes until cabbage is soft. Add the sprouts and cook for another minute on high heat with continuous stirring. Done!

I liked it. Next time I would add some mustard seeds and cumin seeds at the beginning. Also curry leaves.....
[/tscii:22be55a133]

kritica
16th November 2005, 09:24 PM
sprouts curry

2 cups of sprouted green dal
2tbsp groundnut
1tbsp channa dal
1tbsp urad dal
2-3 green chillies
salt to taste
oil for tempering
1tsp mustard

in a kadai take the oil add mustard once it starts spluttering add groundnut..leave it for 1 min... then add channa dal.... when it is lightly pink or orange add the urad dal... once that is orange add the greenchillies and then add the sprouts. Add water little at a time till the sprouts are cooked.

This curry is basically nutty.... i generally leave sprouts half cooked to have the muncy feel....
hope u like it
Kritica

This

RedPepper
2nd December 2005, 07:23 PM
Fenugreek/methi seeds seem to sprout quick. Is it good to eat? Any recipes?

Thanks.

sailu
3rd December 2005, 03:14 PM
Very nutritious mixed sprouts and corn salad (http://indiacuisine.blogspot.com/2005/11/mixed-sprouts-corn-salad-ayurvedic.html)