PDA

View Full Version : Class 10 exam optional

Sandeep
22nd September 2005, 11:36 AM
Govt of India is seriously contemplating a proposal to make Class 10 exams optional.

The National Curriculum Framework (NCF) for education in schools in India has proposed that the Class 10 Board examination could be made optional.

Ministry of Human Resources Development and the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) are discussing on this proposal.

Badri
22nd September 2005, 11:45 AM
Hmm, interesting. But what do you mean optional? Do schools get the choice to opt for it or do individual students get to choose?

Sandeep
22nd September 2005, 02:39 PM
Individual students can decide. But I am not sure if they have to take consent from parents since at age of 15 parents have the legal rights to decide for the child.

dev
22nd September 2005, 03:11 PM
Had I been given the option, I wouldn't have taken the exams for sure... :wink: :lol:

nirosha sen
22nd September 2005, 03:25 PM
If they don't take the exams, are they still eligible to enter pre-university???? If so, on what criteria???? :roll:

rajraj
22nd September 2005, 07:43 PM
If they don't take the exams, are they still eligible to enter pre-university???? If so, on what criteria???? :roll:

Nirosha: In Tamilnadu, students enter colleges after completing 12th grade for which they have to take a common examination. 12th grade is also known as Plus2. There is a common examination for 10th grade completion. If the student continues in the same school this examn is superfluous and subjects students to considerable stress and anxiety. That is why they want to do away with it. The thinking now is to reduce the stress on the youngsters. They are already overloaded. I think it is a good move. They should also consider revamping the entire curriculum to make sure the children have an enjoyable childhood. Now, it is books,books and nothing but books! :(

nirosha sen
23rd September 2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks Raj!! :D Nevertheless, I'm intrigued!! If they don't take their Plus 1 and 2, and stop secondary/high education only at 10th Std, that allows them into colleges at a much younger age, doesn't it?????

How old is the average kid entering college now????? 17???? Without pre-U, they'd be entering at 15, Pa!!! :shock: Do they have that kind maturity to handle college at a such a young age????

rajraj
23rd September 2005, 10:51 AM
Nirosha: In Tamilnadu they can not enter college with only 10th grade education. They must complete 12th grade and appear for the final examination. The change is to permit skipping 10th grade exam, not starting college after 10th. I think the minimum age to start school (first grade) is 6 now. I am not sure. The average age of a beginning college student must be 18. In my days you could start earlier and skip grades or enter at 2nd or 3rd grade. Now the government is very strict.
I remember getting a medical certificate to appear for the school final (11th grade in those days) because I was underage. I don't think they allow that any more. That assures certain maturity level and physical well being. Still, the stress level is very high in the final two years. Personally, I feel that is unwarranted.