PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Mano, Bhargavi, Others

Shoba
25th September 2005, 08:02 AM
Hi!

I have a query about biriyani. What, in your opinion and experience makes a flavourful, moist but not soggy, grains separate but cooked, biriyani?

I currently use Gold Seal Indus Valley basmati rice, and after washing I leave it to drain, and then sautee it in ghee till it changes colour to ivory. I use a 1: 2 rice to water ratio. Cooked on it's own, the grains come out well.

The moment other ingredients go into it, and during the slow cooking process on very low flame, the grains end up looking shrivelled and not so attractive. What do you think is the problem? The taste is good, just the appearance doesnt have that fluffy look.

Didnt know where exactly to put this query...Would appreciate your responses....

Thanks!

Shoba

bhargavi.raj
26th September 2005, 03:10 AM
Hello Shoba,
This question was asked many times by many hubbers facing similar problems.
The reason why rice tends to become soggy & sticky is becoz of the starch content. Moreover when making biryani or pulav,never stir the rice or mix the rice while it is cooking. When you make biryani if ur planning to add raw rice directly to the masala's then don't saute it in oil or with the masala's. soak the rice and put the rice with the vegetables along with the water,mix once with a wooden spoon and thats it,do not distrub it until its ready to eat. also since the vegetables has water content with the masala's when u make biryani the ratio of rice :water is not 1: 2 it will be less ie 1: 1/4-1/2
for further info check out dhabha recipes thread on cooking rice or handi briyani recipe.
Hope i Have been of help
Bhargavi.Raj

Shoba
26th September 2005, 04:51 PM
Hello Shoba,
This question was asked many times by many hubbers facing similar problems.
The reason why rice tends to become soggy & sticky is becoz of the starch content. Moreover when making biryani or pulav,never stir the rice or mix the rice while it is cooking. When you make biryani if ur planning to add raw rice directly to the masala's then don't saute it in oil or with the masala's. soak the rice and put the rice with the vegetables along with the water,mix once with a wooden spoon and thats it,do not distrub it until its ready to eat. also since the vegetables has water content with the masala's when u make biryani the ratio of rice :water is not 1: 2 it will be less ie 1: 1/4-1/2
for further info check out dhabha recipes thread on cooking rice or handi briyani recipe.
Hope i Have been of help
Bhargavi.Raj

Dear Bhargavi,

Thanks for responding. My query was actually quite the opposite-that the final product ends up with shrivelled rice grains.

I will however check out the dhaba recipe thread and see whether there are pointers to my problem.

Thanks again Bhargavi.

Shoba

Yamuna
27th September 2005, 01:07 AM
Hello Shoba,
I use Daawat brand basmati, wash & soak it for 30 mins. & drain it for a further 15 mins. The trick to get unbroken full rice grains is lemon juice . Just add 2 - 3 tsp. of lemon juice to the rice, while cooking / adding your other vegs., masalas etc. and GUARANTEE the rice grains will remain whole & long , and not break even when mixing them !
Try it out ,
Bye.

Shoba
27th September 2005, 05:25 PM
Hello Shoba,
I use Daawat brand basmati, wash & soak it for 30 mins. & drain it for a further 15 mins. The trick to get unbroken full rice grains is lemon juice . Just add 2 - 3 tsp. of lemon juice to the rice, while cooking / adding your other vegs., masalas etc. and GUARANTEE the rice grains will remain whole & long , and not break even when mixing them !
Try it out ,
Bye.

Great Yamuna, I'll try this and let you know!

Thank you!

Shoba

ushnishas
26th October 2005, 08:39 PM
Dear Shoba,

Shrivelled rice grains come from overcooking.

The Persian way to get fluffy light rice is to wash then soak the rice for two hours. Then put it to boil, with a little salt. After coming to the boil, the rice must be cooked for four minutes, then drained. Then it is placed in a buttered pan, and several holes are made in it with the end of a wooden spoon. No further water is added. The pan is covered with a cloth just big enough, and then with the lid. It is placed on a low low heat, and the rice is cooked for 25-30 mins. It is beautifully fluffy.

I have seen that the professional biryani makers put the meat and masala at the bottom of the pan, then cover it carefully with partly boiled and drained rice. Again holes are made for the steam to pass. The lid is sealed with dough, and the biryani cooked over low heat with red hot coals placed on the lid.

As Bhargavi Raj says, the rice must not be stirred on any account.

The important thing is to get a good recipe and follow it faithfully.

Good luck!
Mrinalini

kritica
27th October 2005, 07:36 PM
Dear Shoba,
i have tried yamuna's method it works everytime.....
good luck
kritica

Shoba
27th October 2005, 07:50 PM
Dear Shoba,

Shrivelled rice grains come from overcooking.
Good luck!
Mrinalini

Thank you Mrinalini, this couldnt have come at a better time!

Thanks a lot :-)

Kritica,

Yes, I'm going to try Yamuna's method. Will definitely post results...Thanks dear.

Regards,
Shoba