PDA

View Full Version : Ur childhood

Oldposts
27th October 2004, 09:09 AM
Topic started by Shakthi (@ 203-195-199-246.now-india.net.in) on Wed Jul 16 00:44:19 .

How bout all forum hubbers sharing, the most memorable things happned in childhood,...
1.which u relish,
2.about the type of child u were,
3.and small subtle things which create indelible marks in our minds

Oldposts
Hello Shakti,

Have you read a series of my childhood that appeared in ForumHub??

Oldposts
Hi Shakthi,

Childhood was my best part of life, I will do anything to get it back, but NOT possible :((

I miss holding my parents hands and walking along those beaches in Colombo :((

I miss my Mum's food, No matter how my wife prepares food, I still miss my mum's food :))

I miss my dad giving me piggy bag :((

I miss hitting my younger sister :))

I miss going to watch Rajni movies in the early 80's with my parents and miss all the early SPB's songs

I MISS Sri Lanka like HELL :((

Oldposts
Shakthi,
I have some nice memories of when I was younger, but unfortunately unpleasant memories are there as well, but, I do not feel it would be fair for you if I listed all the bad things that happened to me as a child and when I was going to school.

I will list some pleasant memories.

Living in different places ie: Keephills(in 1982), Winnipeg(from summer of 1984 until late November of 1988), Edmonton (from December 1988 until the end of June 1990 and Lamont (until summer of 1990 until September 30, 1996), etc..

All the nice people I saw in my childhood.

Fieldtrips I have gone on.

Christmas.

Halloween.

Care Bears(cartoon)

Teddy Ruxpin(cartoon)

Inspector Gadget(cartoon)

Staying at my grandmas place.

Days off from school.

and many more...

And I would of had even MORE nice memmories if certain people from my childhood/when I was going to school had left me alone! :((

Oldposts
Childhood memories
==================
-Indo-Pak war 1971
-A big fire in the slums of Chetput, Chennai city during 1972.
-Bournvita Quiz Contest, Horlicks "Suchitraavin kudumbam" in the Radio on sundays.
-English news on All India Radio, Delhi at 9PM.
-AnnaDurai's death
-Emergency period under Indira Gandhi.
-Participating in NCC Republic day Parade in North Beach Road,Chennai in 1979.
-Watching test matches at M A Chidambaram stadium.
Just a few of the memories are above.

Oldposts
Simply I can say I smelled my 'thAymaN' though riots and murders happened throughout that period.

Oldposts
For me it was the day I realized how soft the flesh of a woman could be:)

Oldposts
Every school holidays (Quarterly, half-yearly and Annual), I and all my cousins stay together for atleast a week and enjoy chatting, playing, singing, dancing all day & night. Sometimes forgetting to eat, sleep and ofcourse forgetting about studies (all the time), those days I enjoy very much. I miss that. Like "Back to the Fututre" if I could go that time...
Time & tide waits for none.

Oldposts
I miss every moment of my childhood. Wish I could go back and live that beautiful life once again.

Oldposts
the scars from my child hood are the civil war in SL :((

Oldposts
Roshan,

did u not get my email ?

Oldposts
The loooong school holidays....in the middle of summer,,,you could play for what seemed like an eternity and realise it was only lunch time.

Hide and seek...The smell of curry from the houses...the old grannies in sari's and grandfathers sitting outside and watching ....giving up the game by pointing to where everyone was hiding. That was community...

Oldposts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice...just to read takes one back to memories

plz keep flowing

Oldposts
what more can you miss than sleeping on the lap your mother?

Oldposts
I miss "Vanna Kolangal" and "Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi".

Oldposts
How old are most of you here? I'm 22

Oldposts
I miss He-man (the cartoon), and summer vacations (man especially the looongg cricket matches) and trips to Srirangam, Chidambaram all ancient temples.

Oldposts
SHUT UP KARUVAYAN. I'M 50 FOR YOUR INFO.

Oldposts
//SHUT UP KARUVAYAN. I'M 50 FOR YOUR INFO//

Then speak like you 50 year old. Not like a 10 year old.

Oldposts
ppl ppl

i said talk bout childhood

not STEP INTO CHILDHOOD

hehehe

karuvayan,

yeah i guess most of us are in late 20s or early 30z
or late 30s and early 40z

but age does not matter here. Does it?

Any age above 20 ...........we have lost our childhood and stepped into the world as adults

Oldposts
OKKAY Karuvayan mona,
ammachi is verry verry old and sick and sometimes i tend to act like a 10 year old. hope u forgive me or i'll put some hot chicken curry down your shirt and beat u with a stickkkk.

Oldposts
Well, this is an intersting thread. I am at loss of words to what to write or what not to write!

I had a hair cut today, was thinking about our family barber. He used to come to our house and cut our hairs. He was called 'sevittu mani'.

He was a very intersting character. He divorced his wife and at that time, none of us heard about divorces (ofcourse there were many 'vazhavettis' around us, but divorce was not there).

He had a filed a case also, and used to discuss the proceedings with my grandfather. He used to carry a big box, where his equipments would be there. We used to hate the 'machine' used for cutting hairs very shortly. Actually it was a hand operated scissor kind of thing.

He used to say to us stories of children whose ears got cut because they moved their heads. We used to be afraid and try to remain without much movement. Since, he couldn't scold us or ask us to not to move our heads while cutting, he has threatened us with such stories :))

When we grew up, we all protested and went to the shops to have hair cuttings. My grandfather maintained his friendship with him even after the changed times. My grandpa used to grumble that the modern barber shop fellows get huge sums but don't cut our heads properly.

He used to have a cycle. Once we took his cycle and broke some part of it. He was such a nice, harmless man that he never complained about that. He was very innocent , with a loud voice.

At times, i wonder what happened to him and to persons like him. About the hair cutting saloons and the discussions we (over) heard, i can write hundreads of posts, Some of them were very interesting.

Oldposts
I used to enjoy my saloon ("Muditiruttakam")visits when I was a boy. I just surrender myself to him and go to a nice slumber!

Oldposts
>>i'll put some hot chicken curry down your shirt and beat u with a stickkkk<<

Oooooooffff.....

Oldposts
"I used to enjoy my saloon ("Muditiruttakam")visits when I was a boy."

When Ramadas aNNa wakes up he would say "Enna Kamal maadhiri vetti vida sonnaa, KavuNdamaNi maadhiri vetti vitturukkeenga ?" :-))

Oldposts
How come the visit by our family barber Gordhan Ada was left out in my childhood stories "Where are those happy days..." left out ???
Any how, this ageless old barber Gordhan Ada looked between eighty and odd when I set my eyes on him as a five year old in my village after being transferred to Paddhari.
He used to come to shave my grandfather who was totally bald except for his Kudumi (Tuft).
Since my grandfather was deaf , he would shout at top of his voice and tell stories of the village while shaving him.

We, boys, numbering three brothers were his customers in real term.
In those days, the money was settled yearly.
He would bring with him an old iron case.
There were some very interesting things he would have in his Barber's Case.
It was an old English Barber's case with English razor (Two in numbers).
Cake soap, hairbrush , one black stone for sharpening the razor , one bottle of coconut oil for sharpening, one leather belt about four inches wide for giving finer sharpening to the razor, one mirror,assorted combs and finally the most interesting item was haircutting machine of olden days.
This contraption and the Razor were two things which sent a shiver through my spine.
Of these, the razor was used at the back of the head to level and at sideburns .The sharpness and the feel of the razor invariably used to make me tense.

It was the cutting machine that he would use with a vengeance.
He would start our hair cutting in the following manner.

First he would wet the hair and comb down equally on all sides. Then , he would use only four cuts with his scissors on four sides to cut long tresses short.
This would bring an end to the role played by scissors.

Next would be the machine. He would start from the base of neck at back side and cut hair like a lawn mover all the way to top.
He used to give us military cut.Be used the machine on sideburn and back.
The whole process would take nothing more than five minutes.

In these five minutes, he would taunt us ten times that we had more lice on our heads than girls.He used to threaten us that he was going to tell all the girls that we had more lice on our heads than the other village girls. This was a very shameful part. (It was true). More than the lice, the lice eggs that were there in each strand of hair , would bring out horror stories from him.
He would say that if by chance, we swallow lice eggs trapped in our nails after scratching, our bellies would swell and we would have long worms in stomachs.
My aunt and Shantaben would be told by him about lice population

Six or seven times, he would nudge us to sit tight and at least frighten us constantly about dangers of shaking against razor.
He was an old man who used to bring reports from all over the village.
He used to work as a pedicure, manicure ear cleaner and what not ?

He had another duty.
Whenever there was a marriage or a sacred thread ceremony or any OORKOLAM , he was the designated announcer at the village Chora (Meeting place) and he was the designated barber to look after the bridegroom side needs during marriages.
After he died, his son Nanubhai kept up his father's duty and he meted out worse treatment than his father.

Later on we shifted to Madras and our Nanubhai also is above seventy-five now.His sons and grand sons are now running the show in the village.

Oldposts
And it used to cost Rs.1.50 for a hair-cut those days. I remember this whenever I pay 48 franks now for a monthly hair-cut!

Oldposts
$ 15 dollors here

Oldposts
This thread has become ......

DEDICATED TO BARBER!

Hehe:)

Somehow barber...reminds me of only one character that is Kamalhassan in "Varumai niram sivappu"

Guess nothing related to the topic..........

just could not contain myself from poking my nose and giving unwanted, irate, comments

:)

...(For the sheer reason of havin opened the thread,..in attempt to keep it alive..)

Oldposts
Shakthi,
You may remember the scene where Thengai Srinivaasan comes for a shaving and Kamal starts saying the Barathiyar poem "veLLai niRaththil oru poonai"...that scene is unforgettable :)))

It also reminds me teh barber Rajini in "Johny"

Oldposts
I pay $6.50 for a haircut. But poor me, a graduate student earning only $1600 per month :((

Oldposts
Hey Roshan, do you post from Lanka? no sarcasm here.

Oldposts
///This thread has become ......

DEDICATED TO BARBER!

Hehe:) ///

hehe!!

Oldposts
karu,

//Hey Roshan, do you post from Lanka? no sarcasm here.//

yes, roshan posts from srilanka. Initially i thought that she is another forumhubbi in hiding as she imitates the style of another popular forumhub lady.

But , then i started seeing the positive difference. Now, seeing many of her posts, i admire her, she is a good contributor to this forum.

P.S: Ofcourse, unfortunately she belongs to the Voldemont group!! :(

Oldposts
oh its a she???!?!?!?!

Oldposts
Roshan, honestly, i thought you were a Sinhalese muslim man. Sorry for the confusion.

Oldposts
Vimmi varum azhagil nadai pOdu
Vandhirukkum manadhai edai pOdu
VENdiayadhai peRalaam thuNivOdu !

Oldposts
Characteristics of childhood :-

Fertile imagination, high creativity, unexplored frontiers, zest for everything, zeal for learning, unlimited curiosity, treating all elders as Gods, competetions with peers, fights, immensely fond of playing, fond of play-acting, living for today, no worries about tomorrow and no regrets, terrified about many things, friend today - enemy tomorrow - friend again the day after, heights of ecstacy and depths of sorrow (far removed from what Gita says!)..... etc

Tumultuos joys, exciting behaviour, delightful reverberating laughters, innocence slowly getting corrupted by the qualities necessary for a competetive living etc.

Problems are many too - inability to do many things, heavy dependence on elders, extreme variations in moods (including extreme suffering too) etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Point to think:-

Grass appears greener on the other side.
Every stage in life can be (ought to be) enjoyed and savoured in full.

Oldposts
Shakthi,
>> oh its a she???!?!?!?!>>>

ha ha ha ..All these days I thought you knew it :)). Anyway your are not the first one ;-)

Oldposts
"Anyway your are not the first one ;-)"<<

hehehe

roshan, here generally common amongst muslim guys.

some north indian men too h ave them c hristened ro shan

roshan means light.

i had a friend called 'roshani' when iwas in school

she was a mallu christian. Her hair was curly like afrian negros. Some how we all used to like her cau se, of that different hair she had.

Oldposts
[tscii:35e6e2e949]
Shakthi,
Regarding my name I'm reproducing here what I posted elsewhere for a question asked by Skantha about my name :)

Skan,
>> I thnought that your name was more common in Sinhalese. Are there some Tamils who have the name Roshan?>>

Sorry, I have not noticed this post before. Yes 'Roshan' is quite a common name among Sinhalese (both Christians and Budhists)but they do pronounce it in a different way. They pronounce it as 'roshaan' - ¦Ã¡„¡ý ( eg: Roshaan Mahanaama, former SL cricketer), whereas my name is pronouced as 'rOshan' - §Ã¡„ý. Sinhalese name 'roshaan' for boys and not for girls, wheras rOshan is a name given to girls. But I have noticed some Indian guys having the name rOshan ( eg: Hrithik Roshan).

Sri Lankan Tamil Cristians too use the name 'roshaan' and 'rOshan'.

My name is common among all communities :) and I'm happy about it.

Shakthi,
>> roshan means light. >>

In which language? BTW, in Arabic Roshan (§Ã¡„ý) means "world".

>> Roshan, honestly, i thought you were a Sinhalese muslim man>>

FYKI, there's no Sinhalese Muslims in SL. The mother tongue of all Muslims in SL is Thamizh.

[/tscii:35e6e2e949]

Oldposts
hi,

nice topic..
i remember the way i was elated when i got my bicycle - Hero - a red one - not many kids used to have one those days. so i used to feel kind of special riding it day and night.. initially did not know how to apply breaks ... so hit a small girl and was so panicky when she started crying out loudly .. so placed her in the carrier and dropped her at her house... guess i must have looked so frightened... her parents reassured me instead of her... Also i was so possesive of my cycle, would never allow even my elder sister to climb on it, felt her weight would puncture it...thought i never knew traffic rules, used to ride brazenly on main road (whether it be on the wrong side was immaterial)..... when i went to college the cycle was a bit small for me... so people used to ask my mom for the cycle... but i had given strict instructions not sell it to anyone... but later due to space crisis, had to hand it over to some kid.... those are the fondest memories of yesteryears....

Oldposts
Roshan,

">> Roshan, honestly, i thought you were a Sinhalese muslim man>>
<<<<<<<<,

i did not say that KARUVAYAN said it

yeah i said roshan is light
in hindi roshni is light
roshan is brightness

Oldposts
Shakthi,
>> i did not say that KARUVAYAN said it >>

Yes my answer was to him though I didn't mention his name.

>>in hindi roshni is light
roshan is brightness >>

Thanks for the info. In arabic it is "world"

Oldposts
Ok.next question, what are your favorite memories from your childhood? b

Oldposts
What the hell is going on here, guys cool down!!!

Oldposts
Dear Raghu,
Please visit the thread given below and see for yourself whether it is possible to cool down.

http://www.forumhub.com/expr/29035.13.44.46.html

Oldposts
Roshan,

That thread 'Interresting Forumhubbers' used to be such a nice and friendly, not to mention funny , but what went wrong?

what ever it is, I am sure u r highly intelligent and matured person, pls don't take any matters to heart and excuse such behaviour or postings and ignore such postings. you seem very angry about some thing, but pls what ever it is do not take it to your heart.

after all this life is 'Maya Chaya', there is an eqaul and opposite reaction for every actions, so no need to get worried :)

vatta

Oldposts
Roshan,
Always remember Gandhi's three monkeys.

Oldposts
had a lot of accidents while playing in childhood, coz I had a frail body. I vividly remember the times when I land up in hospital
with fractures and all...started the reading
habit...:) Also met my first love (one-way), a neighbour while I was in hospital.

Oldposts
oh god, now our punnakku came and spoilt this thread. why can't these missionaries stick around with other whites whose boots they lick.

Oldposts
Dear Raghu and Punnahai,
Thanks for the kind words !! This forum still has good people like you friends. THat alone is enough to cheer me up :)

Oldposts
???!?!?!?

Oldposts
neo_morpheus (@ 219.65.98.244)

and

neo_morpheus (@ ppp-219.65.96.93.chn.vsnl.net.in)

are the same person ???

Oldposts
Neo,

Cool down , dude :)

Oldposts
[tscii:cb5df1c4d7]
>???!?!?!? >

Å¢¨¼ ¦¾Ã¢Â¡ Ţɡì¸û ÀÄ;
Å¢É¡ì¸§Ç Å¢¨¼¸Ç¡¸¢Â Ţɡì¸Ùõ ÀÄ;
Å¢Çí¸¡Áø ÌÆõÒõ ¿øÄ ¯ûÇí¸û º¢Ä;
Å¢ò¾¢Â¡ºõ Å¢Ä̧Á¡ ? þõÁýÈò¾¢ø
Å¢Ê× ÅÕ§Á¡ ?

[/tscii:cb5df1c4d7]

Oldposts
[tscii:215063d347]
¸ƒý,
¯í¸û 'ÌÆôÀõ' Ò⸢ÈÐ. ¬É¡ø, þíÌ "Å¢Çí¸¢ §À¡Ã¡Îõ º¢Ä ¿øÄ ¯ûÇí¸Ùõ þÕ츢ȡ÷¸û" «¨¾ ¿£í¸û ÒâóЦ¸¡ûÅ£÷¸û ±ýÚ ¿õÒ¸¢§Èý :-)

[/tscii:215063d347]

Oldposts
[tscii:e636589d4f]
>Å¢Çí¸¢ §À¡Ã¡Îõ º¢Ä ¿øÄ ¯ûÇí¸Ùõ þÕ츢ȡ÷¸û>

I think this attempt has started some time before . It didn't give a good result but it has got to worse situation ( spreads to good threads also ) even we can c scolding each other in good threads also.

I feel handshaking with the one who argue or totally staying away will give a good result.

[/tscii:e636589d4f]

Oldposts
test

Oldposts
test

Oldposts
How come this thread underwent a test!

Did it pass or fail

hehehe

vincentshaam
27th October 2004, 11:53 PM
i hate my childhood and school days. i dont want to go back. i am much happy now than back when i was a child. i only miss my computer institute days. :cry:

Hemant Trived1
29th October 2004, 12:05 PM
Hi all,
If you are looking for unadultrated fun :wink: , I would recommand you to read the series of postings about my childhood :P which appeared in Forum Hub two years back.
You can read the following thread which is named as,

"where are those happy days (They seem so hard to find)"

Would love to get the comments from new members.

Hemant :wink:

Shakthiprabha.
29th October 2004, 02:05 PM
So this thread is here in new forum!

I remember erading urs hemant.

I am sure we have read most of old hubbers childhood memories. LEts wait n see, if any new hubbers wanna share any interesting memories.

geno
30th October 2004, 01:03 AM
I miss all the "nAval pazham", "ilanthai pazham", "nellikkAi" i could lay my hands on when i was a kid :cry:

And i miss the Mango seasoned with chilli & salt :cry: :cry:

And i miss all the "ottup pul", "thumbi", and butterflies that i played with :cry: :cry: :cry:

And i miss the first bi-cycle which i learnt by "monkey pedalling" :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

And i miss my 3rd standard classmate (asku busku! i wont tell her name!!) who kissd my cheeks to console when i cried - coz she broke my pencil :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Shakthiprabha.
30th October 2004, 03:21 PM
I miss all the "nAval pazham", "ilanthai pazham", "nellikkAi" i could lay my hands on when i was a kid :cry:

I am sure u can lay ur hands on it even now! Is the place
u live deviod of nellikkai or ilanthai pzaham????
However I have experienced immediate sour throat
after eating nellikkai. (anyone knows Any remedy for the same?)

And i miss the Mango seasoned with chilli & salt :cry: :cry:

hmm :) not my cup of tea though :(

And i miss all the "ottup pul", "thumbi", and butterflies that i played with :cry: :cry: :cry:

what is ottup pul?????
Mind telling u something? I have seen many boys play
with(or have played with) BUTTERFLIES AND THUMBIs.
Dont you all feel, it would hurt t hem? Or atleast
dont u NOW regret playing with it???

(Dont gimme answers like...

"As grown ups, we hurt many more, with alarming
increase in the severity."

And i miss the first bi-cycle which i learnt by "monkey pedalling" :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

And i miss my 3rd standard classmate (asku busku! i wont tell her name!!) who kissd my cheeks to console when i cried - coz she broke my pencil :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol: :P ......I guess this is what u miss most. (5 cry icons) ... :twisted:

geno
31st October 2004, 02:23 AM
shakthi :)

Yea - we can get all those fruits and cherries if we wanted to even now - but we cant get that wonderful memories from the time warp can we? :(

And yes playing with thumbi and butterfly seemed to be the most exciting thing then, but now i could feel that i could have done without catching those poor things :( ..anyway we didnt kill them or destroy their wings and all - but just we caught them and had them in our hands for some time and then let them off :)

Surya
3rd November 2004, 08:46 AM
The one thing that I miss the most about my Childhood, is the games that my friends and I used to play. For ex. Ghilli, Cricket, occationally goli. :) The Pani Puri stand right outside of school, where my friends and I used to go at lunch time. And of course, the fun we used to have during Deepavali. We used to try experiments with crackers. Like bury most of them underground, and just light the string, etc, etc. Those were the fun days. Even though I have more freedom now, as an adult, I still sometimes wish I could go back to those days. 8)

Shakthiprabha.
3rd November 2004, 11:46 AM
hi surya,
Good to see u and great to see ur avtar.. :)

And of course, the fun we used to have during Deepavali. We used to try experiments with crackers.

So, u guys, gave ideas bout the would be neclear tests to be conducted eh? :lol:

Like bury most of them underground, and just light the string, etc, etc. Those were the fun days. Even though I have more freedom now, as an adult, I still sometimes wish I could go back to those days. 8)

Remember those good old doordarshan days? We simply enjoyed every day of DD telecast because, THERE WERE NO CHOICE.

More the freedom more the choice
More the choice more the confusion
more the confusion lesser the joy

annamalaifan
3rd November 2004, 12:16 PM
i will cry whenever i go back in memory lane. So many obstacles and so many scars made in my heart. Some may feel that childhood period is the best part in our life time. But i always regret and happened to think why im in this world. Raised without a father is really hurting and often make me feel missing something. Although my mother had made sure im raised in healthy environment, but some incidents had gave mental torture and im still going through it. After finished my high school last year, im waiting for my university intake. I will make sure i change my faith forever. I really dont want to look back my child hood period. Its my nightmare and i will try to forget it for sure.

Cindy
3rd November 2004, 03:36 PM
SS, As I saw u here...rushed here expecting some naughty stories...

Hey, never thought u were laughing and making all us there laughing with all these pain suppressed inside...

Cheer up baby.... You are a fine human being for sure.... never let those charms be dominated by depression.... Now at least you know how valuable u are and ur opinions... that there are even fans for ur wits and thoughtfullness...Or was it premsai who brought these cheers to ur life???

When is ur amma back?

Cygnus
3rd November 2004, 11:09 PM
Dear annamalaifan,

Reading your post made me feel heavy at heart, you are so young still and have a long way to go yet. When we are kids, when things happen that are out of your control, it is natural to feel cursed with childhood that makes you insignificant and weak. But it will pass. I hope that one day you would look back and pick the moments that made you feel happy and cherish them at the same time weeding out the unpleasant.

Your signature quote is a good place to start, I wish you all the happiness in the world as you step in to adulthood.

Best regards,
Cygnus.

Reena
4th November 2004, 05:53 AM
I don't wish that I could go back to my childhood, like somepeople in this topic, but I have had many fun times when I was in my late teens 18-19. My friends and I would have sleep-overs all the time. Since most of them were tamil eventhough I grew up in Oregan, we just used to stay up all night and talk. Back then Alaipayuthe was just out, so Maddy was the hot boy in town, that my friends and me used to talk about most of the time. Those were fun days, but I like my life now. More liberty to do what I want to. Maybe if i grew up in India, then I might have had sweeter memories like Shakti, Surya, and Geno. But eventhough I had a lot of fun then, now is the best part of my life. :wink:

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 08:49 AM
SS, As I saw u here...rushed here expecting some naughty stories...

Hey, never thought u were laughing and making all us there laughing with all these pain suppressed inside...

Cheer up baby.... You are a fine human being for sure.... never let those charms be dominated by depression.... Now at least you know how valuable u are and ur opinions... that there are even fans for ur wits and thoughtfullness...Or was it premsai who brought these cheers to ur life???

When is ur amma back?

aiyo cindy ithaiyum read pannithinggala. Aiyo maname pochu..........

Surya
5th November 2004, 11:27 AM
I don't wish that I could go back to my childhood, like somepeople in this topic, but I have had many fun times when I was in my late teens 18-19. My friends and I would have sleep-overs all the time. Since most of them were tamil eventhough I grew up in Oregan, we just used to stay up all night and talk. Back then Alaipayuthe was just out, so Maddy was the hot boy in town, that my friends and me used to talk about most of the time. Those were fun days, but I like my life now. More liberty to do what I want to. Maybe if i grew up in India, then I might have had sweeter memories like Shakti, Surya, and Geno. But eventhough I had a lot of fun then, now is the best part of my life. :wink:

Reena,
Those are sweet memories, I think that your right though, memories from back home are much more touching because we don't live here. 8)

Sandeep
6th November 2004, 01:30 AM
Its sad we always miss what we had and at the same time fail to enjoy what we have now. But some how it seems thats how life works.

Looking back I find my childhood so wonderful. But then I never felt so when i was living it.

Surya
6th November 2004, 02:27 AM
I just finished my College education last year, and looking back @ my Grade school years, which were filled with fun, joyous moments, I keep thinking "Why didn't I realize the fun I had back then? It's Wierd, how we never realize what we have until its gone. :cry:
But no use in worry about it now, now we must realize what we have now. To enjoy these years. I don't want to be looking back at the current days, ten years from now and think that same thing.

Reena
6th November 2004, 05:53 AM
I agree,
I never realized the fun I had in Grade School, but I think that that's true with everyone, isn't it? :?:

Reena
14th November 2004, 10:01 AM
Well isn't it??

Surya
15th November 2004, 05:54 AM
I think it is.
8)

hehehewalrus
22nd November 2004, 07:15 AM
Ok, here's my contribution. Very funny for others though not for me :evil:

I was in my 3rd class in india and 7 years old. The general norm those days was that in order to prevent kids from talking, they used to make the guys sit next to the girls. Since I was the topper(that was some time!) and a quiet guy, I shared my desk with another guy and girl (If you are troublesome, then you get to sit between 2 ppl of the opposite sex :twisted: )

This phase of the year, I used to often turn around and chat with a guy sitting behind me all the time and was become very active in class. So my teacher took action and sandwiched me between two girls in my desk!

All hell broke loose hereafter. This new girl(I wont tell her name ;)) was a good talkative type. Once she told me a terrific story which still makes me LOL! She asked me if I believed in love(yeah, yeah, we were 7!) I answered and said it was a made that made us 7 year olds giggle and that I knew nothing more. Well, she said many years back, when she was in KG(4 years), she had as neighbors 2 "BIG" kids of 10 years called Karthik and Anandhi who were in love. Both their parents were killed in train accidents and they had no one. And they got married at age 10. How did she know? She was sleeping one night and she saw then exchanging rings from her window. End of story.

Some weeks later I asked her what happened to Karthik and Anandhi and how they were. She said they have now grown up and become "OFFICERS" :)) (How can a 10 year become an officer after 4 more yrs?)

After a week, she asked me if I believed the story. I said of course I did. She then laughed and said she was just testing to see how fast I believe people, story was just a fake!

Anyways rest of the days, i was entertained with many of her spontaneous creations :))
Days later, we had our Maths exam and I was sitting next to her. The questions were like "Write the next 5 numbers after 20 in ascending order." I got confused between ascending and descending and whispered to her for help. She gave me the answer with a big smile that suggested "You are copying from me?". I immediately remembered the Karthik cock-and-bull story and did the opposite of the suggestion she gave me.

Results came and my math score plummetted to some 60s, my rank was middle of class..my teacher didnt hand me my report card but asked my elder bro to collect it and "pottu kuduthufied" a lot about me. In my card, she commented "talkative in class"!! My father and the rest of the family at home were blinking and staring at my report card for minutes!

Thankfully, this brilliant Sivasankari didnt give me much company for the year got over and never studied in my section again. But as we grew up in different sections, she would often write plays and dramas. I have no idea where she is now but I wont be surprised if the never-ending megaserials watched by tamilians all over the world have been scripted by her!

Surya
22nd November 2004, 08:01 AM
A pretty funny story, but....

///This new girl(I wont tell her name )///
and then...
///Thankfully, this brilliant Sivasankari didnt give me much company for the year got over and never studied in my section again. ///

You gave us her name. :lol:

Querida
22nd November 2004, 09:27 AM
i know my years of schooling were only made better by the teachers that we had....every year even the most 'meanest' or 'scariest' teacher would turn out to be someone who has truly made a significance in my learning experience as well as my general view of life.....yet what i liked most about these teachers is that none of them ever played favourites....except for two...and those were the ones i rather not remember....

my first grade teacher...she was blatantly racist and would make the coloured children sit apart from the white children...i remember once when we were drawing pictures...and i use to draw the sun smack dab in the top middle of my paper....well my friend showed me that i could draw the sun as if peeping out of the corner or even between two clouds...i ended up with three cheerful suns on my page...this when seen by the teacher only kindled her anger....still i could only be confused at her anger...i had done nothing wrong.....she said that i was a stupid child for drawing three suns and ruining my picture when i should know by now there is only one sun.....i could do nothing but wonder sadly what was so wrong with my drawing which a couple minutes ago i was quite proud of...well i was so ashamed at that picture i crumpled it up and threw it away..and when amma asked to see it i said that we didn't do art today....

seems childishly amusing now....that something so trivial as this could leave a mark....but even now after all these years i could never understand why she hated me so much....after i had done nothing but be her willing student....

teacher number two another day... :)

hehehewalrus
22nd November 2004, 08:13 PM
Surya,
Sivasankari is the name of a prominent Indian writer, not the girl I sat next to :)

Querida,
That was a moving post. Great to know that you objectively analyse people without emotional baggage. keep up the attitude dude.

Querida
23rd November 2004, 12:18 PM
now for that second awful teacher as promised....

i was in seventh grade and as from previous experience refused to listen to any of the rumours that flew around....

that this teacher was a miserable man who need counselling, care and self esteem...and that misery loves company was only painfully seen after a week of class..

.everyone knew his story...his fiancee had left him at the altar....and while leaving got in a car accident...he had a twin brother (fraternal) who this teacher sadly thought had reaped all the braun, beauty and brains that belonged to both of them...and because of this his parents loved his brother more so....

you may think how odd it is for a student to know so much...yet this man so in need of attention that he would freely share his misery with us...we all felt awkward at these times...because we could not pity him wholheartedly...we also knew his cruel belittling to tears side as well....he had a wall where he posted up green sheets it was the wall of shame...if you ever forgot to bring in a notebook...you were to write i am wrong and stupid because: i am not too stupid enough to do this again because:
then you had to sign it, get the teacher to sign it then take it home to be signed....every week he would read the names posted out loud and smirk...
everyone shared the opinion that he was just an poor sad man that should not be teaching...it was odd when he organized a christmas party for us all...and that our assignment that was to be in handed in was about what we thought of our teacher.....yet that too he ruined by telling us how selfish that we did not thank him for all his efforts and that if it were up to him all of us would fail for sure....i know at that time we thought this man was better of dead....

and that is exactly what happened...he died...we came to know after our holidays were over...all of us felt guility for thinking maybe our thoughts killed him...he had died of an untreated infection..he stubbornly refused to go to the doctor because his brother advised him to do...his brother tearfully told us himself at the memorial that he should have got someone else to tell him...knowing how blindly defiant our teacher could be...

so what to say to this...i still dont know...at times i feel guilty for not feeling guilty enough...at times i cannot of feeling any more misery and humiliation than i did in that class....and at times i wished there was something as students we could have done...and at times i think how appropriate it was for us to write about him...and let it be the last thing he read...atleast i know he appreciated my words of him....

hehehewalrus
23rd November 2004, 01:29 PM
Querida,
That was another great post, thanks for sharing. You folks really shudnt be feeling about those days - c'mon, you were 7th graders and no matter what his personal disappointments, he really should have positively nurtured you instead of taking out his frustrations on you all like that.
The kind of motives he had while he taught seems to be so gross :evil:

You really shouldnt feel guilty for it - note that a lonely individual has more chances to analyse himself so he really should have come out a better person. He merely became a conundrum to himself, the world at large and had deep-rooted, nothing you could have done to alleviate that.

Seeing the hate, horror and darkness perpetrated in the old forumhub, I wont be surprised if a lot of hub-postors were like your teacher -- coping with frustrations! :(

Querida
24th November 2004, 12:43 AM
thanx hehehewalrus for your input :)

davie
24th November 2004, 02:13 AM
hada great time with nice sexy teachers who were friends
playing outdoor games, indoor games with my brother and sister, catching fish , looking for birds etc
it was fun
but what makes me think is the fact that when i was young i wanted to be a grownup and now i want those days.
We must learn to enjoy the golden days what we have now.
hehewalrus i think ur scared too much like some ghost slapped u.lol :lol:
everyone has frustrations. but some people deal with it in style some still struggle with it.
remember there is no use of being frustrated. just because ur frustrated ur not gona help urselves. every one must learn to laugh and smile even when they are inthe verge of death.
dats de deal

Querida
24th November 2004, 10:52 AM
i remember an incident that cost me so many sleepless nights it's crazy how i managed not to break or go mad with guilt....but what caused it all is soooooo trivial ayyo....how very naive i was...
it concerned a history book which i lost somehow in class
history was my fav subject and the teacher was encouraged by my participation but she told me that whatever i did that she would have to charge me for the book if i didnt find it and that would mean ohhhhhh gasp! Tell my parents! God at that time that was the worst kind of peril...all thoughts that they would understand were blocked from my mind....am i nuts i lost this due to my carelessness....i remember when my dad went to teacher's nite and met my history teacher i thought my heart would stop right then and there...she was going to tell...oh god she was sooooo going to tell! Dammit why did i even smile at her! Shit Shit why wasn't i like those kids who didn't give a care!!!

what was the ending to this sad outdrawn torturous drama
a note...that said _____ your book was taken by another and found. You worry too much ______. Take Care.
that was all...i remember doing what only a little girl could do well...burst out crying ! :roll:

Sandeep
24th November 2004, 08:17 PM
Hey you should have been like me. From LKG my hobby was to loose things. Starting from pencil, pen to bigger things.

So if I had lost the history book I would have told it to my parents as if 'I had my come of tea' today.

*** BTW you where interested in history books during school. Why you didnt have sleeping pills then? :lol:

ts
24th November 2004, 08:59 PM
I was around 8 when this happened. Our class had around 90 students and always noisy. There were quite a few "groups" in the class and a lot of enmity between them. That year, we had two new students join the class. Both were really big and their friends used to call them "ele1" and "ele2". We later found that they were from a big family that produces tamil films.

One day, my cousin had come to pick me up at school and saw these guys. Obiviously got curious on seeing their size, enquired to me about them. I told him that they were from the so-so family to which my cousin responded "i can see the link".... Apparantly this film company had produced many tamil films with wild animals, specially elephants.

I didnt know what he meant (age?). Next day i told this to my friends at school. One "bright" fellow in the group "decoded" what my cousin had said and we all giggled. Later that week, one from our group "defected" and joined these guys. He went to these guys and whispered something in their ears, poiting at me... i was so scared and ran home like hell....i gave some reasons to my mom and stayed away from school for the rest of the week.

Went to school reluctantly on Monday, pretending that nothing happened and hoping that the guys would have forgotten about the incident. Just at the gate, one of the guys caught me and asked me as to where i had been the previous week. I gave him some reasons and told him that i had not done anything wrong..This guy said that he was looking for me for few days and has something to give.... i closed my eyes and waited for a slap... nothing happened.... i felt something in my hand.. it was a pair of tickets to a film that was recently released.... apparantly the guys were distributing tickets for their new film to "friends" and the guy who defected had put my name as we used to be pals.....

what a sigh of relief.... later we became good friends and after a few years i told them of the "story"... we all had a big laugh... even today, when i meet them we remember this...

hehehewalrus
25th November 2004, 01:27 AM
LOL @ Sandeep :lol: :lol:

Querida, i didnt know u were a gal :)

ts, nice story. Reading ts story like most other ones, it seems in childhood majority of us are taught to expect the worst - that parents/teachers/elders always take delight in punishing us.

Sandeep
25th November 2004, 01:58 AM
So ts did those guys give you a role in their next movie ?

Querida
25th November 2004, 07:14 AM
*** BTW you where interested in history books during school. Why you didnt have sleeping pills then? :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :D @ Sandeep
yes we did i just didn't use them all i had to do was open my math book and i was out like a light! :D

Querida
25th November 2004, 07:38 AM
i remember my first english prof as being the most obnoxious laziest prof i have ever had to this day...we had class mondays, wednesdays and fridays @ 9am nothing made my blood boil more than coming to school on a freezing january morning to find she had cancelled class and didn't even have the courtesy to email us beforehand....I know she didn't like me too much because I would always ask her what she meant be saying so and so..and she would always just look at her notes...say uhhhh ummm well let's move on....she couldn't even define half the words she used....most of them not at all appropriate to describe what she was talking about....i remember another day when she came sheepishly into class after cancelling the previous one....and specifically telling us we would be sorry if we missed the class....her excuse was that she slipped on the ice...wasn't at all hurt but had to cancel class..my friend was just explaining to me earlier how he had slipped and twisted his ankle on his icy driveway and still made it to the cancelled class :x

well ok so i chided to myself don't be so critical of her, you just make sure you do your work....but even that was disrupted by her....when we handed in our essays not only did she not have a clue what our essays were about but she didn't even take the time to mark them either....she just left it too the teaching assisstant..when asked that wasn't it required for profs to read over their student's work...she replied well you know there were like sooooo many and i knew that ta would be just great!
We compared comments in class...the ta wasn't any better...
everyone got the same comment....'just dig a little deeper"
well we surely thought that when prof reviews came along we will know who is digging their own grave....
:twisted:

ts
25th November 2004, 04:09 PM
So ts did those guys give you a role in their next movie ?

Did you ask this because i said that they produce movies with wild animals ? :twisted: :lol:

davie
25th November 2004, 04:37 PM
nice stories. i enjoyed em.
doanyoen here hav nice expreience catching fish, roaming durin holidays serching for birds etc

Surya
25th November 2004, 11:31 PM
-never mind-
Sorry walrus, I get it now. :)

hehehewalrus
26th November 2004, 03:42 AM
Surya,
you dont get it. Take a look at the writer I was mentioning about, probably you've never heard of this household name.
http://www.sivasankari.com/tamil/

When I used the phrase "this brilliant sivasankari", it obviously means my deskmate's capacity is close to that of the writer Sivasankari(exaggeration).

Sorry if my explanation is taking this thread off track, plz feel free to chip in with your nostalgia, folks.

hehehewalrus
26th November 2004, 03:59 AM
Let me do my bit to bring this on track.

This happened when I was 5, I was the youngest among a group of children playing in our locality. There was a school near our locality, which had closed for the day, time being 5:30 PM. The rest of the children were my sister and her friends, who were elder to me by 6-7 years, they played in one section of the ground and I was playing with another boy, a 7 year old some distance away.

A clerk who worked in the school was pedalling to and fro on his cycle, frequently passing us on the way. A couple of time, me and the other chap would run to fetch the ball which went close to the road, just as he passed by. He would smile at us kids, and in friendly warning, uttered "Dai...Dai..." as if to warn us from getting close to the road. We smiled back and went back with the ball.

it so happened that one more time, the ball raced away in his direction as he came and we raced to fetch it. As he approached, we smiled at him and imitated him, saying "Dai..dai.."

He stopped his cycle, got off and walked towards me. I was still smiling, thinking he was coming to play with us or offer a toffee. Instead, his face turned dark with fury and he growled "How dare a little kid like you call me "dai" ???" Perplexed, I turned back to look at my companion, only to find him scampering home 20 metres away. Obviously the 7 year old was streetsmart and knew how to anticipate trouble and flee from it !

I was too small to speak for myself, to find the words to say that I meant no offence to him. I stood with a dismayed face as he growled "I would give you a severe slap if not for the fact you are too small." My sister and her friends tried to explain that I meant no disrespect at all, but the sour fellow turned back with a scowl and went on his away.

We often ran into him for the next 15 years since he lived in the neighborhood and often he'd smile at us as a bunch. But I doubt if I ever gave him a full fledged smile in return, as the memory of the incident was still fresh and I disliked any further encounters with that man.

He passed away some years back. I wondered how far-reaching are the effects of losing one's temper, it's a scar for life!

hehehewalrus
26th November 2004, 04:29 AM
This is an unforgettable incident and I wont forget it for the rest of my life.
Ok, pull a chair and get the coffee :)

We had come to 11th standard and I had always been a guy who learnt on my own - no private tutoring. I had all along shown I didnt need any. But my mum who was influenced seeing all my classmates attending private coaching, enrolled me with a tutor. He was not a guy who taught in batches(X class, 5-6PM, XI class, 6-7 PM ...)...he used to seat 5-6 students by his side and give him problems to solve and monitor them individually.

Well, this is a good method but doesnt bring much revenue. And there were many batch-tutors who were roping in bucks like anything. This tutor wasnt like that. But he used to criticise the batch tutors in the neighborhood and how he was not at all like that, comparing the endless row of bicycles outside the batch-tutor homes to a "cinema theater". Sometimes, we would go for the Sunday 9-10AM class, and after class, he would give us additional problems to work out(we were in 11th std and solving college-level problems!) saying that "sunday is an unnecessary rest day, what are you fellows going to do at home anyway?")

I and a friend used to attend his classes for one year. 11th vacation came and after a break, we resumed our classes under him(12th study materials). First day, he was quite surly and my friend got fed up. He wanted to quit this guy and join another tutor who lived nearby. But only problem was how? This guy had lambasted all other tutors and my friend didnt have the guts to tell him he was quitting his tuition and joining another.

The second day was a saturday and I disliked going to him from 7-8 PM. So I walked in at 6 telling him I wanted to return home by 7. He asked me to call my friend as well, so I went to seek my pal at his house.

My pal had just joined another tutor that morning and was quitting my tutor. So he badly needed to cook up a solid explanation.

Both of us went back, my friend without his books and told him he was quitting the tutor since he had shifted home 20 miles away! :lol: :lol: Our tutor didnt believe but let him go.

Now my friend often used to loiter around the neighborhood on his cycle so any time my tutor could spot him. That became my worry since I had passively abetted my pal in his 'story' and was continuing my lessons with the tutor, having told him my friend was no longer living in our area :)

Days went smoothly. One saturday i was at my tutor's place working out problems as he went out to smoke. I could overhear the conversation outside between him and a new student:

-"Sir, I need tutoring for X std. Can I join you on Monday?"
-"What does your father do?"
-"Works for customs. Got recently transferred"
-"Where do you live?"

And this kid mentioned the same lane that my absconding friend lived!! I completely freaked out when my tutor asked him to come on monday as it will only be a matter of time before the lie gets exposed :evil:

I racked my brain for a solution. I had no idea who the guy was or his name. I needed to stop him from joining the tuition or tell him not to reveal that my friend lives next door!! Several months back I had played cricket with boys from this locality and this chap's voice sounded like one I had heard during one of our games. I made up my mind to scoot out this guy.

Monday came and there were just a couple of hours to go for the dreaded hour. I raced to my pal's house, told him the sequence of dreadful events lying in front of us and asked him to do something. But my friend was a lazy loafer who couldnt recollect the boy or his house. He was in a sleepy mood. Obviously he had nothing to lose, since I am the one going to face the consequences.

I pressed on, making him recollect asking "which boy is that whose dad works in customs? how about this chap? how about that fellow?" After much brainstorming, we came to a conclusion and went to look for the boy's house.

We reached there and unfortunately when we met him, he was with his dad, mom, 3 brothers, grandpa, grandma, uncles. We couldnt spill out our diabolical plan in front of all of them :P But I couldnt ditch him either - thirudanukku thael kadicha nilamai :) So I asked him where he was taking tuition and he mentioned some tutor, not mine.
What about the tutor who lives in xyz street - I said referring to my tutor.
He told us that he had dropped the plan of joining him! Whew! relief!! we then took his leave to the puzzled faces on his family, raced out and I was jumping with joy and relief once we reached the road!! :D :D

That ends the story. Few months later, I too stopped attending private tutions but that's another story :)

Querida
26th November 2004, 08:29 AM
so hehehewalrus you know how it is to go crazy as well over such events that seem funny now...though if it were me i would have really woken your friend from his sleepy mood! :twisted:

something similar to this happened to me as well....I had always wanted to play the piano ever since a little gurl...well the first friend i made in grade 6 had been playing piano for two years...and she went out of her way to give me her piano teacher's name and finally signed up....well i went for my first lesson at the school....she saw how i was happy to do as many songs as she assigned me to and didn't mind to practice daily...so she invited me to take private lessons at her house....those saturdays were my fav...i would be exhausted leaving tamil school but i would head cheerfully for piano class no matter what...and not once did my parents ever have to remind me to practice....i still remember playing my recital piece until my fingers were sore....and then knowing it by heart where i could close my eyes and play flawlessly...she also thought music theory....i was about to reach the third book and had agreed to learn classical music as my genre...alas things were not meant to be....my friend had gotten a boyfriend and felt that she would rather spend her saturdays with him....seeing that i was her best friend....the teacher warned me not to follow her example....which was the last thing on my mind...well this was also the time my father got a new job...and he said that for a while i would have to stop lessons because he would not be able to take me to classes...but i was not allowed to take the bus alone either....so that is what i told my teacher....at that time i didnt know it but she was very angry at me....she thought that my friend had influenced me to quit as well....a month passed in which every saturday was passed practicing old music pieces...around the middle of next month my father said he no longer had to work weekends so i could go to lessons again...so i called up my teacher...hello Miss Theresa...it's me _________ . click....that's all i heard she hung up on me.... :oops: :cry:

Only now am i happy...my sister has begun piano...and i have also found a way to play her pieces...because she can teach me what her teacher taught her when i find the time to play...

ohh btw if you have been following my posts on this thread you must be thinking i am a wet blanket for always posting sad events...i know davie commented why no one remembers happy events....i do....these events just seem more interesting to share...

hehehewalrus
26th November 2004, 08:37 PM
hey querida,
where in the world did you study? You seem to get an unbroken array of sick minded teachers who were utterly unfit to understand children - its a miracle to me you still maintain your sanity :D

Querida
26th November 2004, 10:31 PM
well hehehewalrus i only remain sane...which totally depends on how you define what sanity is from all the good teachers and experiences i've had with all the support and love from friends and family :D

mandangi
24th February 2005, 08:08 AM
For me my childhood days were not joyful. I faced difficulties in studying and passing examinations. Though i used to get good marks my parents used to force me to get 1st or 2nd in class. Not only studies, sports and other enjoyment is also need for children. Now my education is completed. I am very happy. Present life is very much better than my child hood life.

Surya
24th February 2005, 08:23 AM
Though i used to get good marks my parents used to force me to get 1st or 2nd in class.

I never had that prob. Since I studied mostly here, there are no ranks, just grades, so all I had to do was maintain a 4.0. Which was nerve wrecking at times. :banghead:

mandangi
24th February 2005, 08:34 AM
I never had that prob. Since I studied mostly here, there are no ranks, just grades, so all I had to do was maintain a 4.0. Which was nerve wrecking at times. :banghead:
Yes. Ranking system is increasing unnecessary compitition between students. Students parents also think that their children only should get 1st or 2nd ranks and they force their children. People who read too much face problem of mental rest.