PDA

View Full Version : Curly Wee

uncle tex
2nd October 2005, 12:37 AM
Hi,
Anyone out there in England that has a Curly Wee annual/book?
I would like to hear from you.
Dave.

roboprof
14th October 2005, 12:54 AM
[tscii:fffc9a62dc]A Curly Wee annual (the 1950 edition I believe) has just appeared on eBay. If you miss it I have two 1948 and two 1950 copies and would like to sell one of each. I don't guarantee that these dates are correct but I am reasonably sure they are. The last Curly Wee annual I saw for sale was sold for $191.74 and that was the Glendale 1990 copy, cover price £5.99. The previous original I saw sold for around £100 from memory. I was "lucky" and got my Glendale copy for around £20 and my two genuine duplicate copies for around £50 each. I would love to buy more copies and share information with other Curly Wee annual owners. msmith{[AT}]iee.org replace {[AT}] with@ This ploy will avoid web crawlers sending even more spam to my email address I hope.[/tscii:fffc9a62dc]

Thiru
14th October 2005, 02:16 AM
Who is Curly Wee and what book is this that's being discussed?

uncle tex
14th October 2005, 07:58 PM
Curly Wee was a character depicted in, first a newspaper column, and then in annual book form every December.
The main character was a pig,Count Curly Wee, who presided over "Fur and Feather Land". All the other characters were animals and the story text was in rhyme, often very clever and sophisticated rhyme. The character was produced by the Liverpool Echo newspaper in the 1940's and then other papers like the Irish Mail, Madras Mail etc; also published the strip cartoon stories. The author of these stories was Maud Budden and the artist Roland Clibborn. The people most interested in this character seem to be those, like myself, who lived in India during the 1940's and 50's when children's books were in short supply. I hope this gives you a bit of an insight to who CW was but if you need any more information send me a message.
Dave.

stranger
15th October 2005, 04:26 AM
Thanks for educating us, "uncle"! :)

I did do a "google" and got "no-impressive" results for that search. I might have misspelt it! :?

So, I was wondering too!

Thanks for enlightening us about Curly Wee! 8-)

------------

* "kaRRathu kai maN aLavu kallAthathu ulagaLavu"*

rajraj
15th October 2005, 04:53 AM
stranger: You probably never saw Madras Mail, a newspaper from Madras, now extinct. They also carried a comic strip called Mutt and Jeff! :) That was the alternate for the Hindu!

stranger
18th October 2005, 03:19 AM
Good to know about Madras mail and Mutt & Jeff, raj! :) This is the first time I am learning about that! Thank you! :)