PDA

View Full Version : Dirs, Producers, Actors intervention in music composing?!

united07
13th October 2005, 08:59 AM
We have seen directors, producers and actors intervene in music composing department everynow and then...

is this really a helathy trend?

We haev seen Shankar pennign lyrics in Kathalan, Uthayakumar for Karka Kasadara, Rajni, Kamal, Vijay has the final say in music sections.....are these to be encouraged as it will give the producers, directors and actors to carry the same emotion f the movie through the song......OR are them simply manipulating the creativity of MDs?

Please discuss.

(olunga oru topic kuduthurukken.......ithukachum konjam aatharavu kudungappa!)

:)

njv
13th October 2005, 09:15 AM
We have seen directors, producers and actors intervene in music composing department everynow and then...

is this really a helathy trend?

We haev seen Shankar pennign lyrics in Kathalan, Uthayakumar for Karka Kasadara, Rajni, Kamal, Vijay has the final say in music sections.....are these to be encouraged as it will give the producers, directors and actors to carry the same emotion f the movie through the song......OR are them simply manipulating the creativity of MDs?

Please discuss.

(olunga oru topic kuduthurukken.......ithukachum konjam aatharavu kudungappa!)

:)

Indha vambe vendaamnuthaan TR yellam thaanae pandraar.

TR can create a guinness also. He can do everything (hero, heroine, villian, comedian etc) and get guinness for one man show!

MADDY
13th October 2005, 09:41 AM
i can recall 3 instances reg this topic:

1.Kamal intervening in Telelphone manipol composing.....ARR had given up to kamal's choice as he felt kamal was more experienced and wud know wat ppl. wud like xactly.....

2.vairamuthu complaining abt ARR & shankar leaving out a wonderfully written song in mudhalvan...he felt it was his best work but was left out to shorten the length of movie....

3. IR's seduction songs.....come to think of it, such a saintly guy who has been a inspiration for the gr8 spiritualist ARR himself, composing songs llike ponmeni,nethu rathiri and other ooo-aaaa songs...i definitely think IR had succumbed to directorial/hero pressures to compose such vulgar sounds.....

Alien
13th October 2005, 12:47 PM
ARR had reportedly said after Parasuram(ARR's worst :x / the only bad album i can think of from ARR) that he can't compose music for Arjun's taste.

I learnt that even HJ had withdrawn from Arjun's Manikanda or whatever.....

saradhaa_sn
13th October 2005, 02:03 PM
[ Indha vambe vendaamnuthaan TR yellam thaanae pandraar.

TR can create a guinness also. He can do everything (hero, heroine, villian, comedian etc) and get guinness for one man show!

TR is the symbol for self confidence.

Nallatho kettatho, ennaal ellaam seyya mudiyumnu prove panniyavar.

Strory
Screenplay
Dialogue
Lyrics
Music
Camera Handling
Direction
Production
Distribution.... wow really a man of self confident.

The wonder is, he made his films hit also in collection.

Koodiya seekkiram, avarudaiya padathukku avarey 'wall poster' ottikondu iruppadhai paarka nerndhaalum aachariyam illai.

united07
13th October 2005, 02:55 PM
At times the intervention turns out to be a good one...especially on how Kamal-IR works together...
or Mani-ARR or Shankar-ARR, or Rajiv-ARR...

but at other times...it simply spoils isn't it....

c'mon the music directors already have to live in a particular rules of creating music for the movie, suiting the hero's larges than life image...then you restrict their creativity with the unnecessary interventions...

is that the reason why Shankar-ARR opted to go for tuning-holiday and that trend got carried away?

reagan87
13th October 2005, 04:32 PM
ARR had reportedly said after Parasuram(ARR's worst :x / the only bad album i can think of from ARR) that he can't compose music for Arjun's taste.

I thought Parasuram was good ? :? If you ask me, i cant think any bad album or worst album composed by AR.Rahman. Everything from him was good if not superb

mr_karthik
13th October 2005, 07:29 PM
Director is the Captain of the Ship (movie). So he has the right to interfere or suggest about the tunes and songs, as per the situation.

Same like Stunt Master, Dance Master, Cameraman.... Music Director also one among the crews. So the director can suggest the MDs and get what they need. (At the same time no doubt some movies run for the songs).

Producers also can suggest for songs like 'Nethu raathiri yamma', to recollect the money they spent in crores.

MDs can produce and release private music albums, to expose their creativity, without anyone's interferance.

MumbaiRamki
13th October 2005, 08:49 PM
It depends on what we think as intervention .
The director knows how the feel of music should be ,how the songs should be ,where to place the song .

But he can't say ,rip of the music from Britney Spears and give it to me (or) why can't u include a Tabla at 3 :40 piece of the song - That constraints the creativity .

On the other hand ,if teh director is not involved ,then u can't expect anything .
A classical expereince is Three Roses -This is what the interaction between KR and teh director .

Director : Karthik ,ennaku 5 songs venum ntha padathukku .Thats it !

This is not a fake situation .This is what really happened in that compsoition .

Vysar
13th October 2005, 10:57 PM
TR single man does everything. His later he is the only audience too

njv
14th October 2005, 12:15 AM

I thought Parasuram was good ? :? If you ask me, i cant think any bad album or worst album composed by AR.Rahman. Everything from him was good if not superb

Enna sir saarayam kudichittu pesareengala.

reagan87
14th October 2005, 10:16 AM

Saarayam ah ??? Parasuram wasn't good ? I thought i liked the songs very much...not sure how many liked them but looks like there is many who doesnt like the album

mr_karthik
14th October 2005, 11:06 AM

AppadeennA, ungaLukku pidikkAthathu avarukku pidichirukka koodAthA?
allathu, ungalukku pidichathu avarukku pidikkAmal pOga koodAthA?
ungalukku pidichathuthAn avarukkum pidikkanumA?
uagalukku pidikkalainnA athu avarukkum pidikka koodAthA?
ungaLukkum avarukkum pidichathu mathavangaLukku pidikkAmal poga koodAthA?
ungaLukkum avarukkum pidikkathathu mathavangalukku pidikka koodAthA?

(sorry, night oru 'Visu sir' padam pArthen. Adhan effect thaan idhu).

reagan87
14th October 2005, 12:52 PM

AppadeennA, ungaLukku pidikkAthathu avarukku pidichirukka koodAthA?
allathu, ungalukku pidichathu avarukku pidikkAmal pOga koodAthA?
ungalukku pidichathuthAn avarukkum pidikkanumA?
uagalukku pidikkalainnA athu avarukkum pidikka koodAthA?
ungaLukkum avarukkum pidichathu mathavangaLukku pidikkAmal poga koodAthA?
ungaLukkum avarukkum pidikkathathu mathavangalukku pidikka koodAthA?

(sorry, night oru 'Visu sir' padam pArthen. Adhan effect thaan idhu).

:D :poke:

united07
14th October 2005, 01:13 PM
"(sorry, night oru 'Visu sir' padam pArthen. Adhan effect thaan idhu)."

Parthe effect-a ippadi katringale.....ippo yengalakuyellam paditte effect?...Naan yenna solla?

Anyway,
back to topic.

I strongly believe Music Directors should be treated differently than ur stunt master or choreographer. The reason? simple. You don't release any other elements of the movie prior to create and impression. You only do that with the songs. In fact, the music has more burden to carry than the othere depts. rite.

What do you guys say?

nilavupriyan
14th October 2005, 05:39 PM
i can recall 3 instances reg this topic:

1.Kamal intervening in Telelphone manipol composing.....ARR had given up to kamal's choice as he felt kamal was more experienced and wud know wat ppl. wud like xactly.....

2.vairamuthu complaining abt ARR & shankar leaving out a wonderfully written song in mudhalvan...he felt it was his best work but was left out to shorten the length of movie....

3. IR's seduction songs.....come to think of it, such a saintly guy who has been a inspiration for the gr8 spiritualist ARR himself, composing songs llike ponmeni,nethu rathiri and other ooo-aaaa songs...i definitely think IR had succumbed to directorial/hero pressures to compose such vulgar sounds.....

"telephone manipol" is my favourite song in that album ...and became massive hit :D

maddy...., a spritualist is a person who knows everything in life deeply........i guess