PDA

View Full Version : Happy Deepavali / Diwali!

a.ratchasi
25th October 2005, 10:46 AM
Dear fellow hubbers.

Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Prosperous Diwali!

With kind regards,
ratchasi

Click here to see included image. (http://www.magnet-i.com/ecards/cards/diwali8.jpg)

pavalamani pragasam
25th October 2005, 10:52 AM
Thank you & wish you the same :D

Arthi
25th October 2005, 12:05 PM
[tscii:60fdace6c3]Wish you all a very Happy Diwali.

I got this 10 reasons to celebrate Diwali through mail. Would like to share with all.

The Festival of Lights is for All

Why do we celebrate Diwali?
It’s not just the festive mood in the air that makes you happy, or just that it's a good time to enjoy before the advent of winter. There are 10 mythical and historical reasons why Diwali is a great time to celebrate. And there are good reasons not just for Hindus but also for all others to celebrate this great Festival of Lights.

1.Goddess Lakshmi’s Birthday:

The Goddess of wealth, Lakshmi incarnated on the new moon day (amaavasyaa) of the Kartik month during the churning of the ocean (samudra-manthan), hence the association of Diwali with Lakshmi.

2. Vishnu Rescued Lakshmi:

On this very day (Diwali day), Lord Vishnu in his fifth incarnation as Vaman-avtaara rescued Lakshmi from the prison of King Bali and this is another reason of worshipping Ma Larkshmi on Diwali.

3. Krishna Killed Narakaasur:

On the day preceding Diwali, Lord Krishna killed the demon king Narakaasur and rescued 16,000 women from his captivity. The celebration of this freedom went on for two days including the Diwali day as a victory festival.

4. The Return of the Pandavas:

According to the great epic ‘Mahabharata’, it was ‘Kartik Amavashya’ when the Pandavas appeared from their 12 years of banishment as a result of their defeat in the hands of the Kauravas at the game of dice (gambling). The subjects who loved the Pandavas celebrated the day by lighting the earthen lamps.

5. The Victory of Rama:

According to the epic ‘Ramayana’, it was the new moon day of Kartik when Lord Ram, Ma Sita and Lakshman returned to Ayodhya after vanquishing Ravana and conquering Lanka. The citizens of Ayodhya decorated the entire city with the earthen lamps and illuminated it like never before.

6. Coronation of Vikramaditya:

One of the greatest Hindu King Vikramaditya was coroneted on the Diwali day, hence Diwali became a historical event as well.

7. Special Day for the Arya Samaj:

It was the new moon day of Kartik (Diwali day) when Maharshi Dayananda, one of the greatest reformers of Hinduism and the founder of Arya Samaj attained his nirvana.

8. Special Day for the Jains:

Mahavir Tirthankar, considered to be the founder of modern Jainism also attained his nirvana on Diwali day.

9. Special Day for the Sikhs:

The third Sikh Guru Amar Das institutionalized Diwali as a Red-Letter Day when all Sikhs would gather to receive the Gurus blessings. In 1577, the foundation stone of the Golden Temple at Amritsar was laid on Diwali. In 1619, the sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind, who was held by the Mughal Emperor Jahengir, was released from the Gwalior fort along with 52 kings.

10. The Pope’s Diwali Speech:

In 1999, Pope John Paul II performed a special Eucharist in an Indian church where the altar was decorated with Diwali lamps, the Pope had a ‘tilak’ marked on his forehead and his speech was bristled with references to the festival of light.

[/tscii:60fdace6c3]

Idiappam
26th October 2005, 08:17 AM
"Deepavali" in the South! Why did it become "Diwali" in the North?

I feel left out when you say "Diwali"!

Sanguine Sridhar
26th October 2005, 08:34 AM
Have a damal doomeel diwali...... Eat well,burn crackers...and watch the most important things in your life--- Interviews of actor/actress in your TV :lol:

NM
26th October 2005, 08:39 AM
HAPPY DEEPAVALI TO ALL HUBBERS :D :D :D

May this Festival Of Lights brightens up your homes and lifes..... :D

Like Beck said " hv a damaal dumaal deepavali "......

Arthi
26th October 2005, 08:49 AM
[tscii:e1ed0fcff3]
"Deepavali" in the South! Why did it become "Diwali" in the North?

I feel left out when you say "Diwali"!

Dīpãvali (also transliterated Deepavali; Sanskrit: row of lights) or Diwãli (contracted spelling) is the Hindu Festival of Lights.
This much only i got from net.
[/tscii:e1ed0fcff3]

Uthappam
26th October 2005, 09:00 AM
[tscii:97904ce476]
Dīpãvali (also transliterated Deepavali; Sanskrit: row of lights) or Diwãli (contracted spelling) is the Hindu Festival of Lights.
[/tscii:97904ce476]

Ah = how? Deepa and avali? Sankrit? Idiappam you have something there!

Off to buy some bomb-bags from Tekka.

Idiappam
26th October 2005, 09:09 AM
I don't wish to spoil the Deepavali (or Diwali) mood here. hahaha...

Happy Deepavali , everyone!

Arthi
26th October 2005, 09:11 AM
[tscii:5499b70c98]
[/tscii:5499b70c98]

Ah = how? Deepa and avali? Sankrit? Idiappam you have something there!

Off to buy some bomb-bags from Tekka.

Don't split the word like Deepa and avali, it is Deepam+ Oli(light)
Every where light i.e it is the festival of light. Here this side in north india people light Lamp in their houses and workplaces in the evening. In our side also we burn crackers.

Om asato ma sadgamaya,
Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya,
Mrityor ma amritam gamaya.

Lead us from falsehood to truth; from Darkness to light; from Death to immortality and from Lethargy to Activity.

rajraj
26th October 2005, 09:14 AM
Arthi: I think it is deepam + aavaLi ! row of lights. aavaLi = row or series
The practice in the north is to light a row of lamps! We don't do that in the south. We do that for karthigai deepam! :)

uLam kanindha deepaavaLi vaazhthukkaL ! :)

Arthi
26th October 2005, 09:19 AM
The practice in the north is to light a row of lamps! We don't do that in the south. We do that for karthigai deepam! :)

yes you are correct.
the name reflects that it is the festival of light, why on Deepavali we are not celebrating like North Indians?

Arthi
26th October 2005, 09:41 AM
Arthi: I think it is deepam + aavaLi !

yes u r correct... Naan Tamil -la perithu Yezhuthara marithi Ezhuthiten

Chappani
26th October 2005, 09:52 AM
Dear All,

Iniya Deepavali Nel Vaazthukkal

Deepavaliya Shubashayagalu

Happy deepavali

Regards,

viggop
26th October 2005, 10:16 AM
Lord Krishna killed the demon Narakasura and hence Deepavali is celebreated.North Indians open new account books on this day.They make special poojas for Lakshmi.

South Indians celebrate it by wearing new clothes,taking headbath(ganga snanam) and some do poojas in their houses.

Idiappam
26th October 2005, 10:31 AM
Lord Krishna killed the demon Narakasura and hence Deepavali is celebreated.North

You sure?? In which Purana is this Narakasura story told? When was that written? May I know....

Raghu
26th October 2005, 11:26 AM
Happy Diwali to all, :D

er but which day is Diwali :?

Cine fan, ur post was quite interesting, :D

Idiappam sir,

Ingaiyum unga ani -sanskrit sloganai aarambikaathaingappa :lol:

BTW, there are loads of Sanskrit words, embedded in thamizh :D

NOV
26th October 2005, 12:14 PM
Please!!!
Don't start again!

Deepavali and Narakasura association have been accepted by millions around the globe, including those in Singapore and Malaysia.

Leave it be!

Cinefan
26th October 2005, 12:25 PM

Which one?In the 'grantha script'thread?Where is it BTW?Anyway Thanks a ton.

In Karnataka it's being celebrated on 31st&in TN on the 1st November.

Happy Deepawali to everyone.

:D

Idiappam
26th October 2005, 12:35 PM
Idiappam sir,
Ingaiyum unga ani -sanskrit sloganai aarambikaathaingappa :lol:
BTW, there are loads of Sanskrit words, embedded in thamizh :D

Nothing anit- here, Raghu dear. Not 'embedded' - in thamizh, because they can be easily removed. They are just 'in use' in Tamil. Anyway - 'Deepam' and 'AvaLi' are both Tamil words. So there is nothing to fight over.

NOV - wouldn't it be interesting to know there 'roots' of the celebration. Yes, the Narakasura story is popular. But just where was it told?? I guess it must be in one of the 18 Vaishnava puranas! But which one?

viggop
26th October 2005, 02:02 PM
Idiappam Sir
Jus celebrate Deepavali as victory of goodness(represnted by Lord Krishna) over evil(represented by narakasura).Happy Deepavali to all.

Uthappam
26th October 2005, 03:23 PM
better still, celebrate a 'unrepresented' diwali.

BTW, the bomb=bags are S$8.00/box at tekka. anywhare cheaper?

nirosha sen
26th October 2005, 07:16 PM
It's a Vaishnavite purana???? Hey, I'm interested to know too, Pa!!

Albeit, I'm always for any kind of analogy that pits good against evil, and of course, with Good the Triumphant, in the end of that tale!!

Inniya Deepavali Valkuthal to all of you here!!

ssanjinika
26th October 2005, 07:59 PM
1st ella pa..its on the 5th!

Happy Diwali to all the hubbers and their families

Raghu
26th October 2005, 08:52 PM
It's a Vaishnavite purana???? Hey, I'm interested to know too, Pa!!

Albeit, I'm always for any kind of analogy that pits good against evil, and of course, with Good the Triumphant, in the end of that tale!!

aiyo Niro aunty plssssss :lol: :lol:

athu vazhthukal :D , just kidding maami :lol:

ssanjinika
26th October 2005, 09:05 PM

Sorry! My bad! Just spoke to my mom and she assured me that diwali was on the 1st.Dont know from where I got the idea that it was on the 5th :shock: .

Idiappam
26th October 2005, 09:11 PM

Sorry! My bad! Just spoke to my mom and she assured me that diwali was on the 1st.Dont know from where I got the idea that it was on the 5th :shock: .

Maybe you got mixed up with the Eid Festival... :wink:

nilavupriyan
26th October 2005, 10:24 PM
[tscii:3b4f8e3284]Wish you all a very Happy Diwali.

I got this 10 reasons to celebrate Diwali through mail. Would like to share with all.

The Festival of Lights is for All

Why do we celebrate Diwali?
It’s not just the festive mood in the air that makes you happy, or just that it's a good time to enjoy before the advent of winter. There are 10 mythical and historical reasons why Diwali is a great time to celebrate. And there are good reasons not just for Hindus but also for all others to celebrate this great Festival of Lights.

The Goddess of wealth, Lakshmi incarnated on the new moon day (amaavasyaa) of the Kartik month during the churning of the ocean (samudra-manthan), hence the association of Diwali with Lakshmi.

On this very day (Diwali day), Lord Vishnu in his fifth incarnation as Vaman-avtaara rescued Lakshmi from the prison of King Bali and this is another reason of worshipping Ma Larkshmi on Diwali.

On the day preceding Diwali, Lord Krishna killed the demon king Narakaasur and rescued 16,000 women from his captivity. The celebration of this freedom went on for two days including the Diwali day as a victory festival.

According to the great epic ‘Mahabharata’, it was ‘Kartik Amavashya’ when the Pandavas appeared from their 12 years of banishment as a result of their defeat in the hands of the Kauravas at the game of dice (gambling). The subjects who loved the Pandavas celebrated the day by lighting the earthen lamps.

5. The Victory of Rama:

According to the epic ‘Ramayana’, it was the new moon day of Kartik when Lord Ram, Ma Sita and Lakshman returned to Ayodhya after vanquishing Ravana and conquering Lanka. The citizens of Ayodhya decorated the entire city with the earthen lamps and illuminated it like never before.

One of the greatest Hindu King Vikramaditya was coroneted on the Diwali day, hence Diwali became a historical event as well.

It was the new moon day of Kartik (Diwali day) when Maharshi Dayananda, one of the greatest reformers of Hinduism and the founder of Arya Samaj attained his nirvana.

Mahavir Tirthankar, considered to be the founder of modern Jainism also attained his nirvana on Diwali day.

The third Sikh Guru Amar Das institutionalized Diwali as a Red-Letter Day when all Sikhs would gather to receive the Gurus blessings. In 1577, the foundation stone of the Golden Temple at Amritsar was laid on Diwali. In 1619, the sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind, who was held by the Mughal Emperor Jahengir, was released from the Gwalior fort along with 52 kings.

In 1999, Pope John Paul II performed a special Eucharist in an Indian church where the altar was decorated with Diwali lamps, the Pope had a ‘tilak’ marked on his forehead and his speech was bristled with references to the festival of light.

[/tscii:3b4f8e3284]

really informative.....thank u

happy diwali to all

Raghu
26th October 2005, 10:32 PM

Which one?In the 'grantha script'thread?Where is it BTW?Anyway Thanks a ton.

In Karnataka it's being celebrated on 31st&in TN on the 1st November.

Happy Deepawali to everyone.

:D

oops sorry cine fan, that posting i meant was from aarthi :oops: :oops:

NOV
27th October 2005, 06:39 AM
Does it really matter how others celebrate the festival? I mean to a point of argument!

As far as I know and care, Tamils have always associated Deepavali with the defeat of Narakasura in the hands of Krishna. Of course much to the agitation of some people with thier own agenda, who have always tried to thrust their version in the last few years, albeit unsuccessfully.

Let us not fight among ourselves on this auspicious day; rather use this opportunity to exorcise the Narakasurans in ourselves.

Happy Deepavali everyone!

Sinthiya
27th October 2005, 06:45 AM
Happy Diwali to everyone!
:)

Badri
27th October 2005, 07:14 AM
Happy holidays everyone! :D

[I guess that way, even those who don't celebrate Deepavali/Diwali for whatever reasons can enjoy!! :) ]

NOV
27th October 2005, 07:28 AM
Happy holidays everyone! :D

[I guess that way, even those who don't celebrate Deepavali/Diwali for whatever reasons can enjoy!! :) ]what about those who dont celebrate and neither do they get any holidays....

.... and those who celebrate but dont get the holiday?

Badri
27th October 2005, 07:35 AM
:banghead:

I guess the first party does not need any wishes!!! :)

And the second doesn't need wishes, they need our sympathy :lol:

goodsense
29th October 2005, 11:48 PM
Happy Deepavali.

May the souls of those killed and injured today in New Delhi in preparation for celebrations of welcoming of the one who gave light to the world, rise higher.

sivajayan
30th October 2005, 09:14 PM

I wish you all a good Vahzukkal too! :lol:

Isn't it a kind of halloween? There is a day in November when Kindergarden kids walk along the street with lantern. It seems we westerners also celebrate dipaavaLi.

goodsense
31st October 2005, 08:38 AM
In the west Halloween is in October and the kids born in these countries celebrate it with a pumpkin ad witch dressing (mostly in black scary clothing and face mask) which signifies that the wicked witch is out. For Hindus, Deepavali night is supposed to be the darkness night - light gained victory over that dark night. Yes its kind of similar. For Hindus, the dark night is signified by Ravana over which light triumphed. So there is a parallel.

goodsense
31st October 2005, 09:13 AM
If you care to know how we Hindus celebrate Deepavali in the west, please place your request. Actually I just got back from an 'eight" hour "Grand Diwali Mela" in which the Indians from India and people of Indian origin and their children took part in cultural programs. There was no difference in the sight and acting of these people (Indians from India and people of Indian origin). Some "three thousand" were gathered. They were all one. I noticed the same on Sunday morning services. It is a different thing when you get to know people and they get to know you in person.

Shakthiprabha.
31st October 2005, 12:35 PM
Happy diwali wishes to all

sivajayan
31st October 2005, 04:41 PM
In the west Halloween is in October and the kids born in these countries celebrate it with a pumpkin ad witch dressing (mostly in black scary clothing and face mask) which signifies that the wicked witch is out. For Hindus, Deepavali night is supposed to be the darkness night - light gained victory over that dark night. Yes its kind of similar. For Hindus, the dark night is signified by Ravana over which light triumphed. So there is a parallel.

The 31. October is Halloween.
It is of celtic origin and marks the begin of of the rule of Samhain, the prince of death.
The protestant church turned this day to All Hallowed Evening that became Halloween.

Tricks or Treats :evil:

Sudhaama
31st October 2005, 05:21 PM
Wish ... Happy Dheepaawalhi to all.

Social-Significance of Dheepaawalhi :---

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=244431#244429

goodsense
31st October 2005, 07:30 PM
It is of celtic origin and marks the begin of of the rule of Samhain, the prince of death.
The protestant church turned this day to All Hallowed Evening that became Halloween.

Tricks or Treats :evil:[/quote]

OK you win again :D :D

I have to add I know the ugly face of the wicked witch is usually carved out on the pumpkin which is then laid to rest at the entrance of the homes :(

rajeshkrv
31st October 2005, 09:13 PM
Wish Hub members a Very Happy Diwali

svasu_ani
1st November 2005, 09:58 AM
Happy diwali...

May the festival of lights brighten yoour life with peace, prosperity and good fortune...

Anitha

lordstanher
1st November 2005, 02:24 PM
*----HAPPY DEEPAVALI/DIWALI TO ALL IN THE HUB!----*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

binal142001
1st November 2005, 08:06 PM

rajraj,
Please be specific when u say south as to which state of south u r talking about...
South does not mean just Tamil nadu, there are 3 more states...

FYI- In Karnataka too we light row of deepa(lamps) for DEEPAVALI . We do not have karthigai deepam. I know kerala has one for lighting of deepas (dont know what it is called), no idea about andhra pradesh...

tfmlover
1st November 2005, 09:41 PM
[quote="Arthi"][tscii]Wish you all a very Happy Diwali.

but also for all others to celebrate this great Festival of Lights.

5. The Victory of Rama:

very inspiring post you can ad this too..
Aathi Dhanvanthri-the lord of 'Ayurvedic Healing' born diwali day
( knows as vishn's 11 avtar with golden leech and a medicinal plant
in his right hands, conch of wisdom and pot of rejuvenating nectar
in his left..) many sidha vaithya clinics /nursing homes name after his

j.chenkalvarayan
1st November 2005, 09:57 PM
there are only 365 days in a year,not one million or 1 billion days. if we consider the occurrence of major events as a random distribution then each day by itself will be special if we take into account happenings in the past 1000 years.so nothing great about this.

Nerd
2nd November 2005, 01:13 AM
there are only 365 days in a year,not one million or 1 billion days. if we consider the occurrence of major events as a random distribution then each day by itself will be special if we take into account happenings in the past 1000 years.so nothing great about this.

:rotfl:

Alien
2nd November 2005, 09:31 AM

:rotfl:
:rotfl: :lol: We have been missing this JC!
Click here (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3944&start=30) to catch another glimpse of JC