PDA

View Full Version : Tamiflu and Medical Patents

Sandeep
26th October 2005, 03:35 PM
Yes Bird flu is here again. Tamiflu (a medicine developed by Swiss company Roche) is the best defense against bird flu.

But Roche has only limited production capability and european pricing.

Inspite countries requesting Roche to relax on patent considering the human calamity bird flu may cause Roche refused.

India has only resently enacted new laws for patents in medicine. By this no company in India can manufacture Tamiflu even if millions die.

Add to this the revelation that 60% of all human genes have already been patented by MNCs I wonder what sovernity, freedom and welfare are we talking about.

sivajayan
31st October 2005, 11:05 PM
Yes Bird flu is here again. Tamiflu (a medicine developed by Swiss company Roche) is the best defense against bird flu.

But Roche has only limited production capability and european pricing.

Inspite countries requesting Roche to relax on patent considering the human calamity bird flu may cause Roche refused.

India has only resently enacted new laws for patents in medicine. By this no company in India can manufacture Tamiflu even if millions die.

Add to this the revelation that 60% of all human genes have already been patented by MNCs I wonder what sovernity, freedom and welfare are we talking about.
Well, India is late as usual! Why not wait for about 20 years and get the population reduced? Go for undertaker shares. That may reduce your pains. :lol:

Sandeep
2nd November 2005, 07:31 AM
India is late in what ?

Birdflu has not reached India. And as a precaution Cipla (an Indian pharmacuitical company) is seeking govt clearance to manufacture Tamiflu variant in case birdflu hits India.

And population reduction through increased death, Only a sadist can laugh at that.

Some countries smaller than many states in India may have achieved quick growth but larger nations have their own difficulties.

sivajayan
2nd November 2005, 10:22 PM
And population reduction through increased death, Only a sadist can laugh at that.

If population reduction is undesired then try with Tamilflu :lol:

malligai
2nd November 2005, 11:02 PM

HAIYOOO....how do u come up with such GREAT ideas??...:evil:...

unless u r affected by a 'Bad Bird' flu?? :lol: :lol:

sivajayan
2nd November 2005, 11:08 PM

HAIYOOO....how do u come up with such GREAT ideas??...:evil:...

unless u r affected by a 'Bad Bird' flu?? :lol: :lol:
Most the time I am O O
Out of Order :lol:

malligai
2nd November 2005, 11:20 PM
Most the time I am O O
Out of Order :lol:

BravO!!...it takes a lottt of courage to accept one's "Out of Order" state...
:lol: